PDA

View Full Version : There's a game on at Easter Road today

Keith_M
15-07-2017, 12:35 PM
Hibs Season officially starts today, with a match against Montrose.

I just thought I should mention it, as everybody seems distracted by all the talk of will-they/won't-they signings, people tying scarves to goal posts and Hearts new Main Stand.

:wink:

C'mon the Hi-Bees!

:flag:

Brightside
15-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Attendance could be pretty poor today.

Saturday Boy
15-07-2017, 12:38 PM
Attendance could be pretty poor today.

Agreed. I'm going, and I'm not particularly well off 😉

Pete
15-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Stuck in my hoose.

Anywhere you can listen to it?

Edit: doh, on the BBC.

Tricla
15-07-2017, 12:43 PM

Lol!

LancsHibs
15-07-2017, 12:46 PM
'Mon the Hibees. Let's get off to a great start today. Fancy us to do well in the league cup:flag:

Allant1981
15-07-2017, 12:57 PM
3 CH's starting today, good to see porteous playing

iwasthere1972
15-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Am gaun. :aok:

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-07-2017, 01:09 PM

I am going as well and I am a disappointing fan as well.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Attendance was bloody awful. I wish some of the gladiators we've had on here past few weeks had shown. Even if it was just to beef up the Montrose numbers.
Wonder what we are expecting for the Partick game?

madhatter
15-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Attendance was bloody awful. I wish some of the gladiators we've had on here past few weeks had shown. Even if it was just to beef up the Montrose numbers.

Poor attendance but tbf some people may still be away on holidays etc.

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Players deserved a better turn out IMO. 5200 is pretty poor for a cup match, even if the set up is a joke.

Big_Franck
15-07-2017, 04:57 PM

Partick will be completely different. Attendance will be 13-14k I think.

Not a great turnout today but against Montrose it wasnt unexpected.

Craigmount Hibs
15-07-2017, 04:58 PM
Players deserved a better turn out IMO. 5200 is pretty poor for a cup match, even if the set up is a joke.
Agree the set up is a joke.

Craigmount Hibs
15-07-2017, 05:01 PM
Probably many more Hibs fans that go week in and out are actually away on holiday as attended today's game. The problem is playing football in the middle of July and expecting half decent crowds.

marinello59
15-07-2017, 05:06 PM
Probably many more Hibs fans that go week in and out are actually away on holiday as attended today's game. The problem is playing football in the middle of July and expecting half decent crowds.

If it was as an attractive fixture there would be no problem. What was the Brondby attendance last year?

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2017, 05:40 PM
It was a poor crowd, but in all honesty it was never going to be anything else ... even the 4 who go to practically every home game with me decided the expense was a bit of a stretch having just been on holiday and lets face it Montrose in a League cup section match is hardly the biggest draw.

I don't think its anything to worry about to be honest and I'm sure when the league kicks off things will return to normal :aok:

SlickShoes
15-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Sure we had this thread last year lamenting the general attendances in this round of the cup

Golden Bear
15-07-2017, 05:44 PM
Season ticket holder but a game in mid July holds no attraction for me whatsoever, regardless of the opposition.

SanFranHibs
15-07-2017, 05:47 PM
Season ticket holder but a game in mid July holds no attraction for me whatsoever, regardless of the opposition.

Even if it was a cup game against Hearts?

I certainly would be attracted !!

Green Man
15-07-2017, 06:12 PM
Easter Road had the biggest attendance of today's LC games. There were more at Ayr v Killie last night, no doubt as it was a derby.

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 06:16 PM
If it was as an attractive fixture there would be no problem. What was the Brondby attendance last year?

Leith Green
15-07-2017, 06:37 PM
I honestly think 5k is a decent crowd for a league cup group section match during the Edinburgh trades holiday against a small club and in a game nobody is that bothered for. Some Hibs fans are nuts , some just seem to want to stick the boot into anything wether its their own support or the club itself ..

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 06:44 PM
I honestly think 5k is a decent crowd for a league cup group section match during the Edinburgh trades holiday against a small club and in a game nobody is that bothered for. Some Hibs fans are nuts , some just seem to want to stick the boot into anything wether its their own support or the club itself ..

Agreed, some folk have lives that take them on holiday and with other things to do in July.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 07:14 PM

What has July got to do with it?! It's the opening competitive game of the season, why would that not attract you? Had it been in August it would have..?

Sir David Gray

It's pretty much a year to the day that we played Brondby and over 13,000 turned up.

I'm not really buying the explanation that people were away on holiday so they genuinely couldn't go today.

Hibs were playing Montrose today and a lot of people just couldn't be arsed going. There's nothing wrong with that but I wish people were just honest about why they didn't go.

Fritz
Agreed, some folk have lives that take them on holiday and with other things to do in July.

As they did last week but 9000 still managed to turn up for a friendly.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2017, 07:22 PM
It's pretty much a year to the day that we played Brondby and over 13,000 turned up.

I'm not really buying the explanation that people were away on holiday so they genuinely couldn't go today.

Hibs were playing Montrose today and a lot of people just couldn't be arsed going. There's nothing wrong with that but I wish people were just honest about why they didn't go.

I couldn't be arsed.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:26 PM
As they did last week but 9000 still managed to turn up for a friendly.

A testimonial not just a friendly, big difference being that probably attracted people who don't regularly go.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:27 PM

I am still on holiday and currently away can I get my permission slip back dated please sir or do you require proof.

Smartie
15-07-2017, 07:27 PM
I really couldn't be arsed last week but went out of respect to Lewis and ended up really enjoying it.

I couldn't really face it today but went along anyway as I was quite interested to see how we shaped up after last week.

I now can't wait until our next game.

matty_f
15-07-2017, 07:28 PM
I couldn't be arsed.

If we still had the cup top up option I'd have been there but with attending a festival last Friday, the Dunfermline game then Lewis' testimonial draining the coffers, I had to sit this one out.

oneone73
15-07-2017, 07:28 PM
A testimonial not just a friendly, big difference being that probably attracted people who don't regularly go.

I don't normally do friendlies, but I went for Lewy's sake.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 07:33 PM

I struggle to understand why almost twice as many fans were willing to pay £20 for a friendly, doubling as a testimonial, but wouldnt pay £13 for a proper, meaningful game. And I like Lewis.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:38 PM
I struggle to understand why almost twice as many fans were willing to pay £20 for a friendly, doubling as a testimonial, but wouldnt pay £13 for a proper, meaningful game. And I like Lewis.

That's football fans! Remember lots of fans donated £10 or more last week and didn't even go such is the affection for Lewis.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 07:39 PM
I am still on holiday and currently away can I get my permission slip back dated please sir or do you require proof.

You've misunderstood what I've said, not sure if it's deliberate or not but I shall try to say what I said another way.

Do you think 5,200 would have been the attendance today if we had been playing Brondby in the Europa League?

Assuming your answer is no and you think it would have been higher, why do you say that?

ronaldo7
15-07-2017, 07:41 PM

I did wonder where all the fans went today. Late holidays maybe?

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:42 PM
You've misunderstood what I've said, not sure if it's deliberate or not but I shall try to say what I said another way.

Do you think 5,200 would have been the attendance today if we had been playing Brondby in the Europa League?

Assuming your answer is no and you think it would have been higher, why do you say that?

I can only answer for myself, we could have been playing Liverpool in the champions league today and I still wouldn't have been there.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 07:45 PM

Away and enjoy your holiday and life then and let the other missing thousands explain their absence. Are they all in the pool with you?

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Away and enjoy your holiday and life then and let the other missing thousands explain their absence. Are they all in the pool with you?

No, the swimming pool is not that big ;-)

WhileTheChief..
15-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Never gave it a thought to be honest, I saw it as a training game.

If it was a Europa qualifier against a decent team then I'd have gone.

Simple really, wouldn't have thought it needed explaining!

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 07:49 PM
I can only answer for myself, we could have been playing Liverpool in the champions league today and I still wouldn't have been there.

That's not the point I was making.

I'm aware there will be people away on holiday at this time of year but not enough to explain why the stadium was only 25% full.

As I said, 12 months ago we had over 13000 at the Brondby game. Did those extra 8000 people just happen to book up a foreign holiday this year?

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 07:50 PM

We continue in the League Cup though, you'll want a ticket for the semi at Tynie? Or the final?

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Of course the attendance was higher for Brondby as it was a European tie against a fairly well known European club and today was a league cup game against Montrose.

You will always get more people wanting to attend high profile games as opposed to a game against a part time team. We are not unique in that respect , it's the same for every set of fans.

I have a season ticket but I wasn't there today simply because I didn't fancy it.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 07:52 PM
Summer fitba they said. The crowds will love it. 11500 season ticket holders and more than half cannot pitch up for a competitive game in one of two competitions we have a chance of winning. Sad really.

GreenLake
15-07-2017, 07:53 PM
I will have to settle for LA Galaxy vs Manchester United in a friendly at the StubHub Center later this evening. Could be a cricket score the way the Galaxy have been playing this season.

Scouse Hibee
That's not the point I was making.

I'm aware there will be people away on holiday at this time of year but not enough to explain why the stadium was only 25% full.

As I said, 12 months ago we had over 13000 at the Brondby game. Did those extra 8000 people just happen to book up a foreign holiday this year?

I think you know the answer, people pick games dependant on opposition, competition and available finances. Given that it's holiday period/school holidays there will be lots of expense July/August and plenty have chosen to ignore the game. No big deal really, will all be back for bigger/better games.

Billy Whizz
Won't be popular on here, but maybe a solution!
Away season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for every away game, cups included. Maybe we should do the same for every home Hibs season ticket holder😎

marinello59
15-07-2017, 07:54 PM
We continue in the League Cup though, you'll want a ticket for the semi at Tynie? Or the final?

And he'll get one. Blame those responsible for introducing the group stages for the attendance, it was a stupid decision. League Cup group stages failed before, it beggars belief that anybody thought they would be better in the modern era.

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Away season ticket holders have to buy a ticket for every away game, cups included. Maybe we should do the same for every home Hibs season ticket holder😎

Not sure if you are being serious or not but that's an awful idea.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Why not, every man and his dog wants a ticket for a final.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Not sure if you are being serious or not but that's an awful idea.
Why?

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 07:58 PM

If that was the case they may as well just increase the price of a ST to cover all games and piss everyone off properly.

marinello59
15-07-2017, 07:59 PM

That really doesn't make any sense unless you mean that the ST should include all cup matches like it used to. I think.:greengrin

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 08:00 PM
Why?

Well for starters you would sell less season tickets if Hibs insisted that you must purchase a ticket for every single match.

Season ticket holders already contribute to the club and most will miss the odd game here or there but are happy to purchase a season ticket to help finance the club. If the club started forcing tickets to be purchased for every game , for some games people either don't want to attend or can't , it would be wrong.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 08:01 PM
I think you know the answer, people pick games dependant on opposition, competition and available finances. Given that it's holiday period/school holidays there will be lots of expense July/August and plenty have chosen to ignore the game. No big deal really, will all be back for bigger/better games.

This is exactly the point I was making in my original post!

I was specifically replying to someone who was blaming holidays on the low attendance today when the MAJORITY of people just couldn't be bothered due to the opposition.

I'm not blaming anyone here as it's the nature of the beast but we should be having an honest discussion and I don't think it's correct to say that the main reason for the low attendance was people being away on holiday.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Well for starters you would sell less season tickets if Hibs insisted that you must purchase a ticket for every single match.

Season ticket holders already contribute to the club and most will miss the odd game here or there but are happy to purchase a season ticket to help finance the club. If the club started forcing tickets to be purchased for every game , for some games people either don't want to attend or can't , it would be wrong.
Buying a season ticket and committing to buying home cup tickets at the same time (reduced price) is not a bad idea. It's not really that different than the cup top up except you are taking the gamble element out it. Just because it might not suit you doesn't make it a bad idea. Can't see how it could be construed as wrong.

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Buying a season ticket and committing to buying home cup tickets at the same time (reduced price) is not a bad idea. It's not really that different than the cup top up except you are taking the gamble element out it. Just because it might not suit you doesn't make it a bad idea. Can't see how it could be construed as wrong.

Its completely different to the cup top up. The cup top up was not mandatory and you had a choice to sign up to it or not , what's being suggested here would make it mandatory to purchase tickets for every game.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:05 PM
And he'll get one. Blame those responsible for introducing the group stages for the attendance, it was a stupid decision. League Cup group stages failed before, it beggars belief that anybody thought they would be better in the modern era.

Don't know what age you are but the groups worked very well when I was young.

And how exactly, will he get one for a big semi at Tynie? By queuing?

Billy Whizz
15-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Its completely different to the cup top up. The cup top up was not mandatory and you had a choice to sign up to it or not , what's being suggested here would make it mandatory to purchase tickets for every game.

It was an idea more than a suggestion to improve crowds

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 08:11 PM

I understand your thinking behind it but you would see a drop in season ticket sales IMO if it was introduced. As I said I reckon most season ticket holders will probably miss a few games a season but are happy to look past that as it benefits the club to purchase a season ticket , if the club also insisted you must buy tickets to all home cup games some folk would just not bother getting one and would pick and choose games.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:12 PM

Hibs could've stuck £20 on the total damage I suppose. Included LC games. Everyone would have gone as they'd paid for it. And then the bams wouldn't be ramming garbage on here about holidays, training games and bloody regionalisation and geography.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 08:13 PM
I know. We are talking about at best half a dozen games. And in reality probably a lot less. I think it has merit. Another £26 for the two League cup games so far this season is a bargain. Might get the part timers a bit more interested. Do you miss many league games cos they don't float your Boat?

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 08:14 PM
I know. We are talking about at best half a dozen games. And in reality probably a lot less. I think it has merit. Another £26 for the two League cup games so far this season is a bargain. Might get the part timers abut more interested. Do you miss many league games cos they don't float your Boat?

From time to time aye. At the end of the day I purchase my season ticket and give money to the club knowing I won't attend all games.

WhileTheChief..
15-07-2017, 08:15 PM

Might do yeah. That's fairly obvious too I'd have thought.

Are you really trying to equate today's game to a cup final at Hampden??

I won't be greetin on here if I can't get one though if that's what you're getting at.

greenlex
15-07-2017, 08:17 PM
From time to time aye. At the end of the day I purchase my season ticket and give money to the club knowing I won't attend all games.
So adding the cup games to be paid for as and when they come up wouldn't be such a big deal would it? It's still money to the club.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Might do yeah. That's fairly obvious too I'd have thought.

Are you really trying to equate today's game to a cup final at Hampden??

I won't be greetin on here if I can't get one though if that's what you're getting at.

Training game you said. Whatever those are. Got to many finals on the back of any of those?

Fritz
15-07-2017, 08:19 PM

Perhaps it needs explaining because it's such a p*** poor explanation! Unfortunately we don't get to pick our opposition or the competition we play in. Would Motherwell in the league on a Tuesday night in February be any more attractive? We have around 12k season ticket holders who obviously feel they want to support the team in the league this season and hope that by buying a season ticket they'll help contribute. Holidays aside, why that didn't extend to one of the only 2 competitions we can realistically win in a season is beyond me. And yet some would rather go to Dunfermline for a friendly...?!

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 08:20 PM
So adding the cup games to be paid for as and when they come up wouldn't be such a big deal would it? It's still money to the club.

I'd rather decide which cup games to attend and whether to part with the money for them rather than have the club decide it for me. I would imagine most season ticket holders would be the same.

WhileTheChief..
15-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Hang on, at the start of the thread the chat was that if you couldn't be arsed going you should just admit it.

So I admit it and now I've got to give an explanation?

Guess that's me and 6000 others then.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Hang on, at the start of the thread the chat was that if you couldn't be arsed going you should just admit it.

Guess so. Still a cup tie though.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 08:30 PM

Nobody NEEDS to give an explanation. You don't need to justify to why you "couldn't be ar*ed" going today. Me and others are just as entitled to wonder why.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 08:33 PM

That was me who said that and I don't want any further explanation.

You won't be the only one who just didn't fancy it today, I'm certainly not going to judge anyone.

JimboHibs
15-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Training game you said. Whatever those are. Got to many finals on the back of any of those?

Iggy Pope in Uber fan alert.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 08:37 PM

Hardly.

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:41 PM

C'mon now. You just trying to get your post count up wee man?

JimboHibs
15-07-2017, 08:48 PM
C'mon now. You just trying to get your post count up wee man?

Have i touched a nerve ? You can call me wee big fat man whatever gives your ego a boost.

Why would you question anyone's post count ? Is there a heiracy I need adhere to ??

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:50 PM
Have i touched a nerve ? You can call me wee big fat man whatever gives your ego a boost.

Why would you question anyone's post count ? Is there a heiracy I need adhere to ??

Nah. Calling yourself Jimbo just made you sound wee and cuddly.
Sorry wee man.

Wee Effen Bee
15-07-2017, 08:51 PM
So, now we can't attack the board/manager for the lack of quality signings, we turn towards the fans. Absolutely disgusting if not expected. How many are Hibs fans and how many are trolling? I've been attending Hibs games for over 45 years and, unless the opposition has been a little more 'cosmopolitan', the matches have never drawn the crowds during the Trades. I'm on holiday at the moment and, in the tiny wee town I'm housed, I've met 3 Hibbies. Now, it may not be a lot but take that number and extrapolate how many are in other holiday hotspots. That's one good reason why so few attended today. Another factor is economics and of course, many see Montrose in the cup unattractive for their own reasons.
The abuse dished out on this site is beyond the pale. Give it a rest for Christ sake.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 08:54 PM
So, now we can't attack the board/manager for the lack of quality signings, we turn towards the fans. Absolutely disgusting if not expected. How many are Hibs fans and how many are trolling? I've been attending Hibs games for over 45 years and, unless the opposition has been a little more 'cosmopolitan', the matches have never drawn the crowds during the Trades. I'm on holiday at the moment and, in the tiny wee town I'm housed, I've met 3 Hibbies. Now, it may not be a lot but take that number and extrapolate how many are in other holiday hotspots. That's one good reason why so few attended today. Another factor is economics and of course, many see Montrose in the cup unattractive for their own reasons.
The abuse dished out on this site is beyond the pale. Give it a rest for Christ sake.
And yet I seem to remember some calling people out for not attending Lewis' testimonial...

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 08:55 PM

That in itself, is the post quote of the day for me.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2017, 08:57 PM

Yup, and I'll get one for both.

JimboHibs
15-07-2017, 09:09 PM
Nah. Calling yourself Jimbo just made you sound wee and cuddly.
Sorry wee man.

You can call me wee cuddly Jimbo if you wish,so back to my post count ? What would make you question anyone's post count ?

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 09:16 PM
You can call me wee cuddly Jimbo if you wish,so back to my post count ? What would make you question anyone's post count ?

Can only go on what I read. You alerted the board that I was an Uber fan of some sort. Odd opinion when I was only pointing out that training games don't win medals and I don't think we had discoursed previously at all.
And Jimbo sounds like a cuddly wee name. Sorry again.
I am an Uber fan by the way. No question. Absolutely none.

stoneyburn hibs
15-07-2017, 09:32 PM
It really isn't a big deal that only 5 thousand turned up today.

NthCarolinaHibs
15-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Anyone know what the odds were on the four nowt result today??

neil7908
15-07-2017, 09:44 PM
I can't wait for close season to finish so we don't need threads like this.

I thought signing Whittaker might be enough but apparently not.

Fritz
15-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I can't wait for close season to finish so we don't need threads like this.

I thought signing Whittaker might be enough but apparently not.

Why would Whittaker signing deflect from the fact that 6-7000 season ticket holders couldn't be bothered showing up today? 🤔

Carheenlea
15-07-2017, 10:08 PM
Who was really expecting much more today? If it was indeed 5,000 then that's not too bad for this kind of fixture in mid summer. I thought it looked more like 3K looking out from the west stand but 5K is respectable given the occasion. I was quite looking forward to hearing what the new ultra section was going to sound like, but there was just a smattering of bodies in there today, so we will need to wait a bit further to see them in action. Still, a decent day out with a 4 goal win to enjoy.

Speedy
15-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Forgot it was on. Haven't heard any chat on it all week.

green day
16-07-2017, 06:11 AM
Wedding up north yesterday, next match I'm abroad on hols. Is that time of year, so no chance of a 5 fig crowd.

Col_0762
16-07-2017, 06:24 AM

Couldn't be arsed. Stayed in the Harp, played pool, watched the racing, coupon was up, had a great afternoon. £15 to watch that or 5 pints, easy.

Col_0762
16-07-2017, 06:27 AM

Is that really a serious question lol?

Leith Green
16-07-2017, 06:34 AM
This place is starting to get really really bad just now. Folk getting in a tizzy about the crowd size against montrose in mid july. Folk need to get a grip

Pretty Boy
16-07-2017, 07:08 AM
I booked a weekend away months ago as I forgot about the league cup set up and didn't realise we'd have a game.

A lot of my mates with kids were either on holiday or had made plans with their partners and kids to go away for the day as it's still the traditional summer holiday time. Saturday afternoon football in July is always going to struggle to attract huge crowds as it's a time when people do other things, often planned in advance.

Yet agaon though people seem to think they can lecture other people on how they should spend their time and money. I'll be at all the other games as it stands because I can make them. Today I had another, and frankly better, option so I took it.

WhileTheChief..
16-07-2017, 07:50 AM
It used to be that buying a ST was good enough, now we're being told we have to attend any Hibs game that's on!

Really don't get why folk care what games others attend.

HH81
16-07-2017, 07:57 AM
I worked yesterday until 2. Centre of Halifax to Easter road may have been a struggle.

Good enough excuse?

Col_0762
16-07-2017, 07:58 AM
It used to be that buying a ST was good enough, now we're being told we have to attend any Hibs game that's on!

Really don't get why folk care what games others attend.

I may be way out here as can't see ages etc on the phone, but I think we have a younger generation who have a hard on for crowd sizes due to the window lickers over by. It's a big thing for them. Whilst most people don't really bother, we're pretty consistent with what we can expect. A non-contest in the League Cup, in mid July, during the holidays, crap weather, £15 a skull, it was never going to attract much of a crowd.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Is that really a serious question lol?

Nope it's not. Again you haven't read my comment in the context in which it was intended.

I initially replied to one poster who specifically blamed holidays on the low crowd yesterday. I challenged that opinion by asking if the crowd would have been that low if we had been playing Brondby in the Europa League.

Now I'm assuming that people who were away on holiday yesterday wouldn't have been at Easter Road regardless of who we were playing. That doesn't explain the drop of 8,000 people between yesterday's attendance and the Brondby match last year.

As I've already said I couldn't care less what reasons people have for not going to games.

Go or don't go, it makes no difference to me. I just wanted an honest discussion that's all and someone blaming it all on holidays isn't correct.

Keith_M
16-07-2017, 10:05 AM
Attendances in last two seasons where the LC was in group stages, before being switched to two leg knock out (home attendances in bold)

1976-77
14 Aug - Montrose - A - 3,759
18 Aug - Rangers - H - 25,050
21 Aug - St Johnstone - A - 3,688
25 Aug - Rangers - A - 35,463
28 Aug - St Johnstone - H - 5,740
1 Sep - Montrose - H - 4,469

1975-76
9 Aug - Dundee - H - 10,851
13 Aug - Ayr United - A - 5,886
16 Aug - Dunfermline Athletic - H - 9,636
20 Aug - Ayr United - H - 9,969
23 Aug - Dunfermline Athletic - A - 6,731
1 Sep - Dundee - A - 4,982

The_Horde
16-07-2017, 10:09 AM
I couldn't force myself pay near enough £20 to see us play in this tin pot league cup setup and in a glorified friendly. Sorry if I'm not an uber fan.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 10:16 AM
I couldn't force myself pay near enough £20 to see us play in this tin pot league cup setup and in a glorified friendly. Sorry if I'm not an uber fan.

It gave us one of our best days in recent times in 2007

banarc7062
16-07-2017, 10:24 AM
3 CH's starting today, good to see porteous playing

Showing a lot of promise and great cover. A very good game today.

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 10:39 AM

Keep reading this type of thing about it being a glorified friendly or a pre season game which it absolutely is not.

I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something else with their time as it's not exactly something that grabs the imagination. But if we get through a few rounds I wonder if the semi final or final will be considered a glorified friendly?

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 10:40 AM

If you are a season ticket holder, up until 5pm on Wednesday it was closer to £10 than £20.

The_Horde
16-07-2017, 10:41 AM
If you are a season ticket holder, up until 5pm on Wednesday it was closer to £10 than £20.

Didn't know that until Thursday.

The_Horde
16-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Keep reading this type of thing about it being a glorified friendly or a pre season game which it absolutely is not.

I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to do something else with their time as it's not exactly something that grabs the imagination. But if we get through a few rounds I wonder if the semi final or final will be considered a glorified friendly?

The manager himself said he was treating it as a friendly..

Steve-O
16-07-2017, 10:48 AM
These types of games should be included in season tickets.

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 10:53 AM
The manager himself said he was treating it as a friendly..

We were never going to be tested so he said it could be used as part of pre season. He also said he wants to get through the group and progress in the competition. Never once did I see him say he'd 'treat the game as a friendly'

Never realised that we won trophies so often we could just write competitions off as tin pot and the like

blackpoolhibs
16-07-2017, 10:57 AM
I booked a weekend away months ago as I forgot about the league cup set up and didn't realise we'd have a game.

A lot of my mates with kids were either on holiday or had made plans with their partners and kids to go away for the day as it's still the traditional summer holiday time. Saturday afternoon football in July is always going to struggle to attract huge crowds as it's a time when people do other things, often planned in advance.

Yet agaon though people seem to think they can lecture other people on how they should spend their time and money. I'll be at all the other games as it stands because I can make them. Today I had another, and frankly better, option so I took it.

Exactly, I often wonder why folk think they can lecture others on how they should spend their money, and now we are even being asked the question should cup games be paid for even if you don't attend?

The season ticket value has been reduced enough by date and time changes, and it not automatically putting you in a draw for all away tickets at some grounds.

Maybe we should just have a direct debit going out straight to Hibs for everything in our account?

It's always the same moaners too, those who go to every game, and whats funny is they get exactly what they wanted for their money, they get to see Hibs, what is their problem?

PatHead
16-07-2017, 06:43 PM
Move house in three weeks and my greetin faced wife wanted me to help prepare rather than do it on her own Couldn't make it yesterday or any other pre-season match so far. Hope that is okay.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Why?

I buy a season ticket to support the club financially. I don't make all the games. Sure others do the same. No danger would I be doing it if I was forced to purchase tickets for games like the Montrose one.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 06:54 PM
I buy a season ticket to support the club financially. I don't make all the games. Sure others do the same. No danger would I be doing it if I was forced to purchase tickets for games like the Montrose one.

That's a daft mentality. You wouldn't be forced to buy anything. It would be part of the season ticket purchase terms. You would either buy the season ticket or you wouldn't. You obviously wouldn't. You could think of it as supporting the club even more financially.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 06:57 PM
That's a daft mentality. You wouldn't be forced to buy anything. It would be part of the season ticket purchase terms. You would either buy the season ticket or you wouldn't. You obviously wouldn't.

Aye, not wanting to add an extra £100 for games I almost certainly won't go to is daft. Having a season ticket means that I don't have to worry about finding seats together for league games that I do go to. I don't want to have to pay even more for this privilege. Forcing people to buy cup games as part of their league season ticket is daft to me.

There's not a chance it would ever happen anyway.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Aye, not wanting to add an extra £100 for games I almost certainly won't go to is daft. Having a season ticket means that I don't have to worry about finding seats together for league games that I do go to. I don't want to have to pay even more for this privilege. Forcing people to buy cup games as part of their league season ticket is daft to me.

There's not a chance it would ever happen anyway.
Your not being forced to buy anything. You just wouldn't do it. If cup games were added to the season ticket and the price increased I guess you would give it a miss too?

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 07:04 PM
Your not being forced to buy anything. You just wouldn't do it. If cup games were added to the season ticket and the price increased I guess you would give it a miss too?

If I want my specific seat then I'm being forced to. It would be greedy move and seen as such by many. Yes, you're right, I'd choose not to.

I have to pick and choose games, and the prospect having glorified friendlies tagged on to my season ticket at extra cost when it's of no benefit to me isn't particularly appealing. Logistically it's impossible to implement due to the unpredictability of cup runs, anyway.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:09 PM
If I want my specific seat then I'm being forced to. It would be greedy move and seen as such by many. Yes, you're right, I'd choose not to.

I have to pick and choose games, and the prospect having glorified friendlies tagged on to my season ticket at extra cost when it's of no benefit to me isn't particularly appealing. Logistically it's impossible to implement due to the unpredictability of cup runs, anyway.
It's a league cup the niot a glorified friendly. Asking for a commitment to buy rather than putting it on the price of the ticket is a good idea precisely because of the unpredictability of the frequency of them over a season. Anyhoo as you said it ant going to happen. The helping the club financially claim you made in an earlier post does now however seem a bit weak.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 07:12 PM
It's a league cup the niot a glorified friendly. Asking for a commitment to buy rather than putting it on the price of the ticket is a good idea precisely because of the unpredictability of the frequency of them over a season. Anyhoo as you said it ant going to happen. The helping the club financially claim you made in an earlier post does now however seem a bit weak.

I mean, Lennon described the first few games as friendlies himself.

How does my claim seem weak? I'm not helping the club financially because I have a limit on how much I'm willing to commit? If a match day didn't cost me £150 a pop then maybe I'd be as generous as the likes of yourself.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:16 PM

How does my claim seem weak? I'm not helping the club financially because I have a limit on how much I'm willing to commit? If a match day didn't cost me £150 a pop then maybe I'd be as generous as the likes of yourself.
You could get over 11 adult season ticket holders in for £150 yesterday.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 07:16 PM

As has been established the smart people running the club will never implement it and with good reason.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 07:17 PM
You could get over 11 adult season ticket holders in for £150 yesterday.

What's your point?

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:21 PM
What's your point?

My point is it would be a £26 commitment for an adult season ticket holder this season.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 07:23 PM
My point is it would be a £26 commitment for an adult season ticket holder this season.

You're all over the place here.

Apparently it's a good idea but the club will never introduce it. If it's such a good idea why won't the club introduce it? Because it would actually cost the club money.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 07:25 PM

You've lost me. Unless you're implying that the inclusion of cup games should not include potential later stage games? In which case it'd be an even less popular idea.

brianmc
16-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Anyone know what the odds were on the four nowt result today??

4-0 was 8/1 with Bet365. I had a tenner on it 😀

brianmc
16-07-2017, 07:39 PM
All this attendance bickering, post count dross and Uber fan crap strikes me as a bit like kickback patter.
I went yesterday and quite enjoyed it.I didn't cry myself to sleep over the number of vacant seats though.

FWIW I won't be at the Ross County, Arbroath or Alloa games. So if anyone feels the need to have a dig at me crack on. It'll be water off a ducks back as far as I'm concerned.

Meanwhile, work, finances, family matters and motivation permitting I'll be at whatever games I choose to attend once the League campaign starts - and all without asking permission from any one of the self appointed God like posters on here.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:42 PM
You've lost me. Unless you're implying that the inclusion of cup games should not include potential later stage games? In which case it'd be an even less popular idea.

No I'm not. Sorry should have said . so far.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 07:47 PM
You're all over the place here.

Apparently it's a good idea but the club will never introduce it. If it's such a good idea why won't the club introduce it? Because it would actually cost the club money.

I'm not really. I said I think it's a good idea. What the club thinks is neither here nor there. Should I just shut up we can stop discussing things?

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 07:52 PM
I'm not really. I said I think it's a good idea. What the club thinks is neither here nor there. Should I just shut up we can stop discussing things?

Why do you think the club will never introduce it?

greenlex
16-07-2017, 08:22 PM
Why do you think the club will never introduce it?
I never said they would never introduce it. You did. It's unlikely to be introduced right now as we are currently seeing record breaking season ticket sales and anything that might be perceived as negative, as you have shown by your posts you think it is, that might halt or hinder that process won't be happening any time soon. You are obviously not alone in your thinking.
Here's a thing. If you want to be guaranteed a ticket for an away cup tie you have to commit to buying one for every away game that season and not just the tie. That is what started this particular conversation in the first place. None of that money for the league games benifit the club whatsoever but as Hibs fans you have to make that comitmennt if that's what you require.

Since90+2
16-07-2017, 08:27 PM
I never said they would never introduce it. You did. It's unlikely to be introduced right now as we are currently seeing record breaking season ticket sales and anything that might be perceived as negative, as you have shown by your posts you think it is, that might halt or hinder that process won't be happening any time soon. You are obviously not alone in your thinking.
Here's a thing. If you want to be guaranteed a ticket for an away cup tie you have to commit to buying one for every away game that season and not just the tie. That is what started this particular conversation in the first place. None of that money for the league games benifit the club whatsoever but as Hibs fans you have to make that comitmennt if that's what you require.

So you admit it could potentially harm season ticket sales but at the same time still think it's a good idea? You are entitled to your opinion but that's a very strange way of thinking.

Luckily the people in charge of our club can see the flaw in this hence why it will never be introduced.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 08:29 PM
If it was an optional extra to the season ticket rather than mandatory then it might get some take up. But then, haven't Hibs just introduced that idea for home cup games?

greenlex
16-07-2017, 08:38 PM
So you admit it could potentially harm season ticket sales but at the same time still think it's a good idea? You are entitled to your opinion but that's a very strange way of thinking.

Luckily the people in charge of our club can see the flaw in this hence why it will never be introduced.
Imagine an Easter Road that is nearly full every league game. The only way as a supporter to guarantee a seat is to buy a season ticket. The club introduce the system that the only way you can get one is if you commit to buying the home cup games too. Fans would do it. It's a way of maximising revenue for a team that's going well.
The other alternative is of course just bump the initial price of the ticket up and include home cup ties. They could guesstimate maybe 4 games at an average of £15 each. That would be extra £60 on top up front. Don't think it's out the question or indeed that ridiculous. ('Other than us continually doing well to be honest)

SunshineOnLeith
16-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Imagine saving up for the first half of the year and pitching up with cash to buy season tickets for you and your son.

"Ok sir, I just need you to complete this direct debit mandate so that we can take another 40 quid out of your account every time we get a home draw in the cups"

Solid marketing strategy, right enough.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 08:42 PM
If it was an optional extra to the season ticket rather than mandatory then it might get some take up. But then, haven't Hibs just introduced that idea for home cup games? Yes. The quirk is that the away one is mandatory and of no direct financial benifit to the club.

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 08:57 PM
So do we just bring the final purchase date for season tickets forward by a month or two? Doesn't seem like it would do wonders for sales.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 08:58 PM
So do we just bring the final purchase date for season tickets forward by a month or two? Doesn't seem like it would do wonders for sales.

Are we unique in selling the next seasons tickets from March onwards?

SRHibs
16-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Are we unique in selling the next seasons tickets from March onwards?

The date when we start selling season tickets is probably a lot less important compared to when we stop selling them. There are a couple of options with a cup top-up:

1. Stop selling season tickets at an earlier date.
2. Keep selling them however charge buyers for the games that they've missed - this won't go down well IMO.
3. Keep selling them however lower the cost after games from the cup have passed. Pretty much a current ST, and would require for people who don't want the cup games to wait. Would also mean there's no benefit to getting your ST early.

Seems a lot of hassle to go through to improve the attendance of 1-2 home games early in the season.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Yes. The quirk is that the away one is mandatory and of no direct financial benifit to the club.

But we do it for home cup games now as well.

greenlex
16-07-2017, 09:25 PM
But we do it for home cup games now as well.
Sorry Matty. The away cup games are mandatory with the away league season ticket. That's not the case for the home season ticket.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Sorry Matty. The away cup games are mandatory with the away league season ticket. That's not the case for the home season ticket.

I know that, but you can sign up to get the home cup games added to your season ticket automatically as well, which is pretty much what hat you're suggesting, isn't it?

If you sign up for it then the ticket purchases are also mandatory, iirc.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 09:38 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/7636

Isn't this pretty much what you're suggesting?

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 09:39 PM

You can opt out for the home games, but not for the away games. Hence the reason I mentioned this much earlier in the thread

To summarise, Home season ticket holders have the option to add in for home cup ties, but away season ticket holders are automatically opted in for all home cup ties, have to contact the TO to opt out! Bit of a contradiction in my opinion!!!

We've had a few bizarre things from Hibs over the years, this has to be up there with them😄

greenlex
16-07-2017, 09:40 PM
I know that, but you can sign up to get the home cup games added to your season ticket automatically as well, which is pretty much what hat you're suggesting, isn't it?

If you sign up for it then the ticket purchases are also mandatory, iirc.
Yes. I'm advocating it's mandatory if you have a season ticket tho. Committing to paying as and when they occur rather than either the old cup top up system or another where the price is increased at initial purchase. Effectively you are committing to the cup games thus increasing revenue to the club and maybe fans that can't be ersed rather than cannot make it they might just go rather than give it a miss..Obviously not everyone's cup of tea. Folk seem happy to give league games that don't appeal a miss after they have effecrivey paid for them why not cup games?

Carheenlea
16-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Had this cup tie been played within the traditional season, even on a midweek night, I'd be confident of a bigger turnout. Might have been in the 7 - 8,000 range. A Saturday afternoon in mid summer against Montrose was always going to be an easy one to miss. A more glamorous tie and then folk prioritise their social diary accordingly.
Football is not the be all and end all for everyone, and criticising fans for a disappointing turn out for a fixture like yesterday after breaking the 12,000 ST mark is all a bit daft.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 09:47 PM
Yes. I'm advocating it's mandatory if you have a season ticket tho. Committing to paying as and when they occur rather than either the old cup top up system or another where the price is increased at initial purchase. Effectively you are committing to the cup games thus increasing revenue to the club and maybe fans that can't be ersed rather than Connie make them might just go rather give it a miss.. obviously not everyone's cup of tea. Folk seem happy to give league games that don't appeal a miss after they have effecrivey paid for them.

I think it's fine as an optional extra but I don't agree with it being mandatory.

Imho season tickets are expensive, especially if you're buying more than one. Making them mandatory would be fine for folk who could afford unexpected expenses, which cup games are (you don't know when money would be needed, how often, there are also replays etc to consider).

I'll go to pretty much every home game, but if Saturday's game had been mandatory on my season ticket as effectively an additional purchase, then I'd have been scunnered.

You need to let people have the option imho.

The cup top up was a good compromise imho.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 09:48 PM
You can opt out for the home games, but not for the away games. Hence the reason I mentioned this much earlier in the thread

To summarise, Home season ticket holders have the option to add in for home cup ties, but away season ticket holders are automatically opted in for all home cup ties, have to contact the TO to opt out! Bit of a contradiction in my opinion!!!

We've had a few bizarre things from Hibs over the years, this has to be up there with them😄

Eh?

So if you sign up for an away season ticket, you are automatically signed up for purchasing home cup ties, unless you tell Hibs otherwise? :confused:

matty_f
16-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Eh?

So if you sign up for an away season ticket, you are automatically signed up for purchasing home cup ties, unless you tell Hibs otherwise? :confused:

:agree: I can see the logic, if you'd be happy to go to the game if it was at an unknown away venue, then it stands to reason you'd go if it was at Easter Road.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 09:51 PM
Eh?

Yes, 100%

greenlex
16-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Yes, 100%
But you can't opt out of an away cup tie?

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Eh?

Yep, Hibs made the decision to include all away season ticket holders in this automatic scheme for home cup games, unless we told them otherwise.

I thought that was a pretty poor decision, particularly at short notice.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 09:55 PM
I think it's fine as an optional extra but I don't agree with it being mandatory.

Imho season tickets are expensive, especially if you're buying more than one. Making them mandatory would be fine for folk who could afford unexpected expenses, which cup games are (you don't know when money would be needed, how often, there are also replays etc to consider).

I'll go to pretty much every home game, but if Saturday's game had been mandatory on my season ticket as effectively an additional purchase, then I'd have been scunnered.

You need to let people have the option imho.

The cup top up was a good compromise imho.

I don't know why they can't bring the cup top up back.

It was scrapped last season because of the revamp with the League Cup as clubs are now guaranteed at least two home fixtures in that tournament, if they enter at the group stage.

However, I don't know why they can't just price the top up accordingly. It was previously priced on the understanding that you might not see any home cup ties during the season, now you're going to see at least two. Why not add around £30 on top of what it previously cost to reflect the guaranteed two matches you'll get in the League Cup?

SunshineOnLeith
16-07-2017, 10:00 PM
I don't know why they can't bring the cup top up back.

It was scrapped last season because of the revamp with the League Cup as clubs are now guaranteed at least two home fixtures in that tournament, if they enter at the group stage.

However, I don't know why they can't just price the top up accordingly. It was previously priced on the understanding that you might not see any home cup ties during the season, now you're going to see at least two. Why not add around £30 on top of what it previously cost to reflect the guaranteed two matches you'll get in the League Cup?

I suspect they knew the interest in the group stage games would be low so the choice was either keep the price the same, and lose out of what little gate revenue these games do generate (bearing in mind we have to pay the away team some sort of offset figure to make up for lower gate receipts as a result of cup top up, so this might actually cost the club money), or scrap the cup top up altogether.

I think they made the right decision.

matty_f
16-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Yep, Hibs made the decision to include all away season ticket holders in this automatic scheme for home cup games, unless we told them otherwise.

I thought that was a pretty poor decision, particularly at short notice.

It's a cup game so you'd have been going anyway if you were an away season ticket holder, wouldn't you? It makes more sense to include than to exclude, imho.

Billy Whizz
16-07-2017, 10:02 PM
But you can't opt out of an away cup tie?

Of course you can't

greenlex
16-07-2017, 10:09 PM
Of course you can't Which brings us back full circle. I didn't know away seasons were automatically committed to home cup ties unless you opted out.

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 10:14 PM
It's a cup game so you'd have been going anyway if you were an away season ticket holder, wouldn't you? It makes more sense to include than to exclude, imho.

To add some context to what I said, I did mention at short notice.

In this case they announced it only a few days prior to the Montrose and Arbroath tickets going on sale. As a result, my mate who I'm signed up to the AST scheme with, had £52 deducted from his account. Tickets for the two of us for the Montrose and Arbroath games.

He was unaware of it as he was in Majorca when it was announced. I had just missed it. He actually missed the Montrose game as he was still in Majorca and would have opted out had he been aware. I just think that the card details Hibs have on file were specifically in relation to automatically deducting money for away matches. Taking the decision to automatically start using them for home matches was quite poor IMO, given there wasn't much in the way of notice.

B.H.F.C
16-07-2017, 10:14 PM
Which brings us back full circle. I didn't know away seasons were automatically committed to home cup ties unless you opted out.

They weren't until last week.