PDA

View Full Version : By the time the transfer window has closed

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 10:25 AM
I am confident we will have signed Stokes, Hendo (or another midfielder), probably another striker and maybe 1 or 2 squad players

Add that to Marciano, Ambrose, Whittaker, Swanson and Murray and honestly I'd say that on paper at least this will have been the best transfer window I have seen as a Hibs fan

It has obviously been frustrating at times but I think some people on here need to change their perspective a wee bit

Jack Hackett
15-07-2017, 10:31 AM
I am confident we will have signed Stokes, Hendo (or another midfielder), probably another striker and maybe 1 or 2 squad players

Add that to Marciano, Ambrose, Whittaker, Swanson and Murray and honestly I'd say that on paper at least this will have been the best transfer window I have seen as a Hibs fan

It has obviously been frustrating at times but I think some people on here need to change their perspective a wee bit

:agree:

"I want it all, and I want it now" :singing:

Franck Stanton
15-07-2017, 10:44 AM

All very true, however all hinges on the signing of Stokes and Henderson. Don't get me wrong, happy with the confirmed signings so far but we still need more.

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2017, 10:53 AM
With the addition of Whittaker we are certainly bumping up the average age of the squad .... nothing wrong with a blend of youth and experience though which appears to be what NL is aiming for and if that experience is coming in the shape of the likes of Steven Whittaker and Danny Swanson you wont hear me complaining about it :greengrin

When we take the field against Partick Thistle next month we will barely have a player in the squad who doesn't have experience of playing in cup finals or high pressure play off situations .... how can that be bad? :aok:

I know a lot of folk would like to see Hendo back and you certainly wont hear me complaining if it happens ... but we have a limited budget and we simply have to now concentrate on the forward positions.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 10:56 AM
All very true, however all hinges on the signing of Stokes and Henderson. Don't get me wrong, happy with the confirmed signings so far but we still need more.

True that, was very confident that Stokes would come but slightly worried after reading other clubs are sniffing around now. Less confident about Hendo but even if we don't sign him we'll surely get another midfielder in, still another 1.5 months dill deadline day!

BegbieHSC
15-07-2017, 11:04 AM
I so hope you are right.

wish I was as optimistic as you. Really worried about Stokesy going elsewhere...

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 11:14 AM
I so hope you are right.

wish I was as optimistic as you. Really worried about Stokesy going elsewhere...

Well I am less optimistic regarding Stokes than I was when I started this thread lol

Nemo
15-07-2017, 11:18 AM
Well I am less optimistic regarding Stokes than I was when I started this thread lol

That'll teach ye :greengrin

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2017, 11:18 AM
I so hope you are right.

I wouldn't be sorry to see Stokes return, but I would hope its the Stokes from the SC final. He struggled a wee bit before then to make an impact and it cant be ignored that following a stint at the club he supports where he couldn't make a dent in the latter stages of his contract he has barely been able to kick a ball for a full season since leaving us, that with a club that was desperate for anybody capable of scoring the goals they needed to dig them out of the hole that eventually swallowed them up.

IMO there's no guarantee as things stand that Anthony Stokes would be the answer to 'how do we replace a 20 goals a season striker?' ...... I'm not saying he couldn't be, but looking at the evidence its far from a certainty.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't be sorry to see Stokes return, but I would hope its the Stokes from the SC final. He struggled a wee bit before then to make an impact and it cant be ignored that following a stint at the club he supports where he couldn't make a dent in the latter stages of his contract he has barely been able to kick a ball for a full season since leaving us, that with a club that was desperate for anybody capable of scoring the goals they needed to dig them out of the hole that eventually swallowed them up.

IMO there's no guarantee as things stand that Anthony Stokes would be the answer to 'how do we replace a 20 goals a season striker?' ...... I'm not saying he couldn't be, but looking at the evidence its far from a certainty.

There are no guarantees in football but I think there are a few reasons why he'd be liekly to do better this time round

1. Stokes + Cummings partnership just didn't really work
2. He hadn't played in 6 months before joining last time
3. Lennon knows how to get the best out of him
4. IF he comes back then it's because he genuinely wants to be here. Last time round he was just putting himself in the shop window more than anything else

Souter96Mac
15-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Quite confident Stokes will end up here. He could've stayed at Rovers and picked up a wage, he knows he will get game time here as well as already being established within the club, and his move to rovers didn't go to plan. Celtic won't take him, and I think he'd only come to us. Me being optimistic

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Quite confident Stokes will end up here. He could've stayed at Rovers and picked up a wage, he knows he will get game time here as well as already being established within the club, and his move to rovers didn't go to plan. Celtic won't take him, and I think he'd only come to us. Me being optimistic

Must be some English clubs in for him https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1287756/neil-lennons-hibs-fear-they-are-about-to-be-priced-out-of-move-for-ex-celtic-star-anthony-stokes/amp/

Theinsider
15-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Must be some English clubs in for him https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1287756/neil-lennons-hibs-fear-they-are-about-to-be-priced-out-of-move-for-ex-celtic-star-anthony-stokes/amp/

No real substance to that story. Would take it with a pinch of salt.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 12:24 PM
No real substance to that story. Would take it with a pinch of salt.

It's Kenny Millar, it's as reliable as you can get for a Hibs transfer story

Big L
15-07-2017, 12:56 PM

Totally agree! Stokes will go where the money is, who can blame him. I just hope Lennons been looking elsewhere for a quality striker.

Theinsider
15-07-2017, 12:59 PM

Didn't look who wrote it. Now that I know that adds the substance.

Theinsider
15-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Totally agree! Stokes will go where the money is, who can blame him. I just hope Lennons been looking elsewhere for a quality striker.

If he goes. Hopefully we go after someone like Moult with a decent offer.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 01:09 PM

He might, he might not. The article even mentions that people close to Stokes are advising him to go to Hibs rather than chase the money

Was looking at Millar's twitter earlier and he made an interesting argument that Stokes needs us more than we need him

Obviously we need a striker but there are many potential signings that would improve our striker force.

Ignoring the money factor and just looking at it in terms of his football and his personal well being you could argue that Hibs would be the best destination for Stokes

Spike Mandela
15-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Despite the obvious need for a striker ( or 2) the most important thing left in this window is holding on to John McGinn.

Hibbyradge
15-07-2017, 02:42 PM

Why are you so confident?

I think we'll struggle to sign either Stokes or Henderson.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 02:45 PM
Why are you so confident?

I think we'll struggle to sign either Stokes or Henderson.

Stokes wants to come here, it's a fairly established fact by now it just depends on whether he chooses to go for the money instead

Hendo seems likely to leave Celtic so we should have a chance but the point is that even if we don't I think we'll bring in another midfielder

Hibbyradge
15-07-2017, 02:50 PM
Stokes wants to come here, it's a fairly established fact by now it just depends on whether he chooses to go for the money instead

Hendo seems likely to leave Celtic so we should have a chance but the point is that even if we don't I think we'll bring in another midfielder

That doesn't sound very confident after all! :greengrin

SRHibs
15-07-2017, 02:56 PM
This place is gonna go into meltdown when he signs for Aberdeen!

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-07-2017, 02:56 PM
We can't match others when it comes to wages. What we can offer him is the guidance he gets from Lennon and also that he knows he is a good fit for us so there are no issues over finding his feet and getting settled. That said we should put our own interests first not his and if the chance comes up to get Moult I would take it.

1van Sprou7e
15-07-2017, 04:31 PM
That doesn't sound very confident after all! :greengrin

Haha to be fair I hadn't read the news about other clubs going in for Stokes when I started this thread