PDA

View Full Version : Griffiths tying scarf to post

RIP Bestie
15-07-2017, 01:26 AM
http://www.hibs.net/webkit-fake-url://527970ab-af9b-4a23-b6c6-73ba65ddc086/imagejpeg

Why would you do this?
i love Griffiths and I understand that he took abuse and had things thrown at him. But for me he really had to start acting like a professional and leading by example.
This was a high profile game for all that is wrong in society never mind football.
This game had to be rearranged due to religious hatred.and you would expect that the professionals involved would not try to light any fuses.
If a supporter was seen to be doing anything that was deemed to ignite hatred in a situation like this, let's make no bones about it, he/she would have been lifted and dragged in front of a court facing a charge of a hate crime.
Leigh let himself down here, it could be argued that he done the same against Hearts. It was irresponsible and stupid and poured fuel, unnecessarily, on an already poisonous and unacceptable situation.

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 01:35 AM
http://www.hibs.net/webkit-fake-url://527970ab-af9b-4a23-b6c6-73ba65ddc086/imagejpeg

Why would you do this?
i love Griffiths and I understand that he took abuse and had things thrown at him. But for me he really had to start acting like a professional and leading by example.
This was a high profile game for all that is wrong in society never mind football.
This game had to be rearranged due to religious hatred.and you would expect that the professionals involved would not try to light any fuses.
If a supporter was seen to be doing anything that was deemed to ignite hatred in a situation like this, let's make no bones about it, he/she would have been lifted and dragged in front of a court facing a charge of a hate crime.
Leigh let himself down here, it could be argued that he done the same against Hearts. It was irresponsible and stupid and poured fuel, unnecessarily, on an already poisonous and unacceptable situation.

Dragged in front of a court facing a charge for tying a scarf to the post?

I think you've had enough tonight mate! :drunk:

OsloHibs
15-07-2017, 01:48 AM
Completely agree- it's stupid. You don't ever tie your colours around the goals in your opponents ground no matter what. I don't like that side of things, just celebrate the win with your fans.

RIP Bestie
15-07-2017, 01:56 AM

Had no drink dafty. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean I'm pissed.
Have a wee think to yourself about the situation and how inflamitory the action could have been.
it was stupid and believe me I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..

scoopyboy
15-07-2017, 01:56 AM
Completely agree- it's stupid. You don't ever tie your colours around the goals in your opponents ground no matter what. I don't like that side of things, just celebrate the win with your fans.

Whole point being there were no Celtic fans present so how was he going to celebrate with them?

RIP Bestie
15-07-2017, 02:00 AM
Whole point being there were no Celtic fans present so how was he going to celebrate with them?

Just go back to the dressing room. Act like an adult and a professional. Set an example.
Dont try to cause a problem.

Hibeesmad
15-07-2017, 02:03 AM
He got booked for complaining to the ref about having bottles and coins thrown at him. If the Linfield fans are giving him that disrespect then tying a scarf to a post is hardly a disgrace

RIP Bestie
15-07-2017, 02:14 AM
He got booked for complaining to the ref about having bottles and coins thrown at him. If the Linfield fans are giving him that disrespect then tying a scarf to a post is hardly a disgrace

Fair point, which I had made in my original post.
Wonder what the feeling would have been amongst us if the likes of Skacel had have done that sort of thing at Easter Road.
That would have just inflamed a local rivalry hatred, this could have had political and sectarian implications.

AZhibee
15-07-2017, 02:26 AM
I'm sure the Linfield players really appreciate their fans behavior, with a trip to Glasgow coming.

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 02:58 AM
Fair point, which I had made in my original post.
Wonder what the feeling would have been amongst us if the likes of Skacel had have done that sort of thing at Easter Road.
That would have just inflamed a local rivalry hatred, this could have had political and sectarian implications.

We'd be outraged. But so what?

Some people just want to suck the fun right out of the game. I'm kind of hoping one of those Hearts clowns does something daft in the first derby at ER, anything to add extra intensity to the atmosphere.

AZhibee
15-07-2017, 03:26 AM
We'd be outraged. But so what?

Some people just want to suck the fun right out of the game. I'm kind of hoping one of those Hearts clowns does something daft in the first derby at ER, anything to add extra intensity to the atmosphere.

Agreed

Mcpakeisgod
15-07-2017, 04:12 AM
I do get the OP's post, but you have to remember these guys are human, if I was getting glass bottles, coins, other objects thrown at me. Would I just walk back to the dressing room and keep the head. Probably not, it's easy to say someone should act professional. It the fact is we're not the ones getting missiles launched at.

Taking that into account I probably would have reacted in a similar way

Pete
15-07-2017, 04:34 AM
I do get the OP's post, but you have to remember these guys are human, if I was getting glass bottles, coins, other objects thrown at me. Would I just walk back to the dressing room and keep the head. Probably not, it's easy to say someone should act professional. It the fact is we're not the ones getting missiles launched at.

Taking that into account I probably would have reacted in a similar way

I'm willing to bet that you're in your twenties like Leigh. I probably would have reacted in a similar fashion if I were his age and I had been provoked. Nothing to do with anything other than immaturity on my part. You don't think about political symbolism in an atmosphere like that no matter how much you are told. It's about the athletic competition first and foremost and after that there might be a bit of room for tribalism.

To the OP, I totally understand but nobody understands until they have wisdom.

hibbiedon
15-07-2017, 04:46 AM
Could not care less what Celtic players do, the player in question has done that several times now that he plays for that Glasgow club. This will make him a hero with their supporters now but not with me

Viva_Palmeiras
15-07-2017, 04:54 AM
How so a "hate crime" ? Serious question. In the mad world of football and in particular NI provocative perhaps but a "hate crime"?

"a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence"

is it even a crime? Breach of the peace?

"public disturbance, or an act considered likely to cause on"

if if that starts being applied where does it end with footballl?

Pete
15-07-2017, 05:06 AM
How so a "hate crime" ? Serious question. In the mad world of football and in particular NI provocative perhaps but a "hate crime"?

"a crime motivated by racial, sexual, or other prejudice, typically one involving violence"

is it even a crime? Breach of the peace?

"public disturbance, or an act considered likely to cause on"

if if that starts being applied where does it end with footballl?

I think you need to have a look at the end of the 2016 Scottish cup final.

Only then can we have a mature discussion about certain types of provocation by people who are nothing more than troublemaking fenians.

Mikey09
15-07-2017, 05:14 AM

Why would you do this?

Wow. Dragged in front of the courts aye?! Are you of the opinion fans can dish out physical and verbal abuse without a player having a wee dig back? I don't give a **** how volitile the game was. That says more about Linfields bigoted, sectarian fans than anything or anyone else. Get a grip. Linfield deserve all that's coming there way as they exploit the sectarian ****. Horrible club with horrible fans. But Leigh having a dig back is the issue? :rolleyes:

lucky
15-07-2017, 05:30 AM
He did it at Ibrox last year as well. Then in the second game Rangers put two stewards on the posts to stop it happening again so placed a scarf on the penalty spot. For me he's doing it to noise up the home teams fans and play up to the Celtic supporters. I dont believe it's sectarian just a wind up. But if a Hearts player did it at ER I doubt many would be so tolerant about it.

SeanWilson
15-07-2017, 05:38 AM
If he played for hibs and done this following the abuse he'd received all game; I'd absolutely love it. He's a Celtic player and I couldn't care less.

adhibs
15-07-2017, 06:40 AM
Irresponsible yes, but hope it wound everyone connected to Linfield up stinking.

JDT
15-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Its almost as if he's playing up to celtic fans to try and get their backing knowing his Hibs affiliation. Trying to hard to get them to like him sorta thing. What happened during the game was a disgrace though!

Elephant Stone
15-07-2017, 06:48 AM
If an opposition player tied a scarf to the goalposts at Easter Road I would kill myself.

hibsbollah
15-07-2017, 07:17 AM
If an opposition player tied a scarf to the goalposts at Easter Road I would kill myself.

Me too. Not before booting the cat across the room with my size 11s and writing a stern letter to my MP. Tying a scarf round a post, its tantamount to genocide.

Baw187
15-07-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm willing to bet that you're in your twenties like Leigh. I probably would have reacted in a similar fashion if I were his age and I had been provoked. Nothing to do with anything other than immaturity on my part. You don't think about political symbolism in an atmosphere like that no matter how much you are told. It's about the athletic competition first and foremost and after that there might be a bit of room for tribalism.

Good post. I did a load of really stupid things when I was young and daft that are easy for me to sit back and reflect on now with a wiser head on my shoulders.

I do think Leigh needs yet another quiet word in his ear to let him consider why it possibly wasn't the sharpest idea to tie the scarf to the post.

Overall though, given the abuse he was getting and that it wasn't the worst crime in the world, I can just about let him off with just being a daft laddy.

SunshineOnLeith
15-07-2017, 07:45 AM
I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..

No you havent.

IGRIGI
15-07-2017, 07:50 AM
Hate Crime 😂 Can't beat a bit of social media mock outrage!

Is It On....
15-07-2017, 07:54 AM
What's a lesser greens scarf on a goalpost compared to Souness charging on to the pitch following a hostile (is there any other type) Istanbul derby and planting a giant flag of his team, Galatasaray, by the centre circle of their bitter opponents, Fenerbahce. Now that is truly incendiary!!

blackpoolhibs
15-07-2017, 07:55 AM
Griffiths should be made an example of and sent out on loan to us to mend his ways. FFS what was he thinking of, people could have died.

Bostonhibby
15-07-2017, 07:58 AM
Cannae be any worse than having a strangely dressed bloated halfwits intruding on your space and peace by marching up and down the street banging drums and blowing whistles.

DH1875
15-07-2017, 08:03 AM
Cannae be any worse than having a strangely dressed bloated halfwits intruding on your space and peace by marching up and down the street banging drums and blowing whistles.

Or sitting in a Newcastle top whilst Hibs play Sunderland at Easter Road.

lord bunberry
15-07-2017, 08:04 AM
Tell me about it, I ****in hate the BB's

Mcpakeisgod
15-07-2017, 08:12 AM

Totally get your point and your bang on! 25. I do understand where your coming from, age does play a part.

Bostonhibby
15-07-2017, 08:12 AM
Tell me about it, I ****in hate the BB's

https://uk.video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A9mSs3EGzmlZ3pIAYDZLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByZ mVxM3N0BGNvbG8DaXIyBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--?p=hearts+flute+band&fr=mcafee&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fts2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOVP. OG5LsCgrKO7Vqe6fn3vdTAEsDh%26pid%3D15.1%26w%3D136% 26h%3D77%26c%3D7&rurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dz QuLLfTaZEo&tit=Heart+of+Midlothian+Flute+Band&w=144&h=78&pos=1&vid=c1d65d8e56f506e4d30be21e8e3af93d&sigr=11bdo28uc&sigt=10ue64b6u&sigi=12jh2h8id

An example of the sort of halfwit I was on about, grown men as well, deary me

Jim44
15-07-2017, 08:25 AM
I don't think that Griffiths' antics can be interpreted in any other way than to incite a response from the opposition fans. A bit like Gascoigne's flute playing escapade. Some might see that as harmless banter others will see it as dangerous provocation. The authorities have to deal with it or it could result in unfortunate consequences. I heard a bit of a report saying that Rodgers had leapt to his defence but I'm not sure if it was for something he did during the match or for his post match behaviour. I must add that the home support behaviour was worse and deserves action from the authorities.

Topographic Hibby
15-07-2017, 08:33 AM
Seen a pic from the game where he gives a 5-1 sign to the Linfield fans as he lines up to take a corner. Possibly just before the half bottle of Buckie got launched? Nowt to do with scarves, but just sayin.........

lord bunberry
15-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Seen a pic from the game where he gives a 5-1 sign to the Linfield fans as he lines up to take a corner. Possibly just before the half bottle of Buckie got launched? Nowt to do with scarves, but just sayin.........
I watched the game and he did the gesture a few minutes before he got pelted with all the stuff. I think it was four minutes before at the previous corner. Some people on twitter are trying to suggest he was booked for the gesture, which isn't true.

RamYer1902
15-07-2017, 08:43 AM
This whole thread is embarrassing. He can tie a scarf to the post if he wants. Highly doubt we'd be criticising a Hibs player if they tied a scarf to the post at Tynecastle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

.Sean.
15-07-2017, 08:48 AM
Hate crime :faf::faf::faf:

No wonder society is on its arse with all these politically correct bammers that are offended by everything.

Keith_M
15-07-2017, 08:54 AM
Griffiths should be made an example of and sent out on loan to us to mend his ways. FFS what was he thinking of, people could have died.

This.

:greengrin

Frazerbob
15-07-2017, 08:55 AM

There was a small section of around 200 Celtic fans. Presumably locals who managed to get tickets and then sat together by the police.

Newry Hibs
15-07-2017, 08:57 AM

In Northern Ireland it's illegal to wear colours in the workplace and at my work there are induction courses where you're told what can and can't be done. Such conundrums as whistling 'fields of athenry' may actually mean you are a Liverpool fan; having flag pictures on the inside of your locker. I think Griffiths was an arse tying the scarf and wasn't surprised he got targeted by the knobs in the crowd.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 08:59 AM
I couldn't care less what any Celtic player does but if you think that anyone would end up charged with a hate crime for tying a scarf round a goalpost then I would suggest you read up on what a hate crime actually is.

Newry Hibs
15-07-2017, 08:59 AM
There were several there. Linfield opened a stand and turnstile for them.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40614761

Future17
15-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Have a wee think to yourself about the situation and how inflamitory the action could have been.
it was stupid and believe me I have seen people taken to court for an awful lot less facing a charge of a hate crime..

A hate crime? :top marks

ronaldo7
15-07-2017, 09:27 AM
The *******s made him play on a Friday night, when he should have been on the pull up toon. Hell mend them.

gillythehibby
15-07-2017, 09:37 AM

Why would you do this?

Well done super Leigh. Get right up that scabby bigoted mob.!

matty_f
15-07-2017, 09:38 AM

It's the only reasonable solution to the outrage, imho.

jacomo
15-07-2017, 10:01 AM
I hope the stupid Linfield louts who chucked bottles at him were incensed by his actions.

Typical cowardly snowflakes - happy to try and injure the guy by throwing stuff from the safety of the crowd but then all upset by a scarf.

Bostonhibby
15-07-2017, 10:08 AM
I hope the stupid Linfield louts who chucked bottles at him were incensed by his actions.

Typical cowardly snowflakes - happy to try and injure the guy by throwing stuff from the safety of the crowd but then all upset by a scarf.[emoji106] this. Police Glasgow might even be able to identify a few faces in the crowd to help them fill in the missing numbers on scotland's crime of the century enquiry.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Vini1875
15-07-2017, 10:10 AM
No problem with it. Football fans want to dish it out but can't take it back.

Lago
15-07-2017, 10:12 AM

No it was a silly thing to do.

NAE NOOKIE
15-07-2017, 10:19 AM
I couldn't care less what LG gets up to in his guise as a Sellik player ...... but provocation or not its a bit daft for anybody to fan the flames of what is already an incendiary situation. Having said that, given their behaviour the Linfield fans are no doubt assured of a warm welcome in Glasgow and no doubt the hundreds of their fellow local knuckle draggers who will be desperate to join them on the night as well .... it should be a laugh a minute .....not.

ancient hibee
15-07-2017, 10:38 AM
Who cares.He plays for Celtic.

barcahibs
15-07-2017, 11:11 AM
It was a stupid thing to do, but hardly worth the furore.

On the other hand anything that sees celtc and their players in bother is fine by me so i hope UEFA absolutely hammer him and them.

There really was no need for it.

silverhibee
15-07-2017, 11:12 AM

Did you see the guy who ran on to the pitch to attack LG, he looked like killing came easy to him, he looked a f***ing nutter, LG will get fined by Celtc for the 5-1 gesture he made when he took a corner and it seemed to kick off from there.

Ryan69
15-07-2017, 11:21 AM
What's a lesser greens scarf on a goalpost compared to Souness charging on to the pitch following a hostile (is there any other type) Istanbul derby and planting a giant flag of his team, Galatasaray, by the centre circle of their bitter opponents, Fenerbahce. Now that is truly incendiary!!

He is an absolute hero amongst Galatasaray fans for doing that!

lobster
15-07-2017, 11:24 AM
Remarkable that this is the only fallout from that game given the BS surrounding it but would have thought Brendan Rogers would have demanded that his players wouldn't react to any provocation or for that matter encourage anything. Interesting in the context of Bonucci's move to Milan after alleged dressing room clashes.

Strange parallels with LG and them with the hand gesture. Hardly a crime though.

Isn't that scarf stuff a bit Sounessesque?

Stantons Angel
15-07-2017, 11:28 AM

I completely agree with your statements.

Ive been at games against this team in N Ireland and seen for myself just how bad these supporters behave. Its like going into a cauldron of hate if you do not have red white and blue in your colours.

when i didnt stand for the National Anthem before a game i was glared at from all directions! Its just a mini Ibrox as far as i am concerned.

Griffithis is not the brightest tool though is he? The hostile atmosphere should have been enough and the history of this part of Ireland is something he must be aware of. The missiles being thrown at him were a disgrace and his booking was farcical. Why would he be wasting time when there was still 30mins to go in the game and they were 2-0 up? the referee needs to have a look at himself there!

Even after this he manages to get dressed and come out again before the crowd have cleared and tie a Celtic scarf to the post, indicating Celtic owned the stadium? Not a very smart thing to do was it? they have a return game at Parkhead to come and 1500 tickets have been sold.......

The Glasgow police will not be taking any sort of crap from anyone that night and wont be pleased either that Griffiths has just stoked the flames!!

Im all against religion and politics being involved in all sport let alone football but this just shows Griffiths immaturity in these matters and IMHO was such a stupid thing to do. No doubt in some people's minds he will be a "hero" and the story goes on and on!!

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 11:33 AM
In Northern Ireland it's illegal to wear colours in the workplace and at my work there are induction courses where you're told what can and can't be done. Such conundrums as whistling 'fields of athenry' may actually mean you are a Liverpool fan; having flag pictures on the inside of your locker. I think Griffiths was an arse tying the scarf and wasn't surprised he got targeted by the knobs in the crowd.

He was targeted before doing that. People who get upset over a scarf tied to a goalpost deserve to be upset. You'd have to be a right bellend to get worked up over something so trivial.

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 11:34 AM
No it was a silly thing to do.

It was, but so what? Some people won't be satisfied until there is absolutely no banter left in the game.

silverhibee
15-07-2017, 11:34 AM
I watched the game and he did the gesture a few minutes before he got pelted with all the stuff. I think it was four minutes before at the previous corner. Some people on twitter are trying to suggest he was booked for the gesture, which isn't true.

I think the ref was pointing that out to him when he got booked, look what happens when you wind these type up. Still, should never have got booked for having stuff thrown at him.

I'm sure the players would have been warned before the game not to do anything that might cause problems during the game, it had plenty build up that this was a powder keg game so lets get the win and GTF out of here straight after it, would have been Rodgers words, doing the 5-1 gesture was a silly thing to do and I'm sure Healy was pointing that out out to Rodgers at the end of the game.

Carheenlea
15-07-2017, 11:44 AM
I couldn't care less what LG gets up to in his guise as a Sellik player ...... but provocation or not its a bit daft for anybody to fan the flames of what is already an incendiary situation. Having said that, given their behaviour the Linfield fans are no doubt assured of a warm welcome in Glasgow and no doubt the hundreds of their fellow local knuckle draggers who will be desperate to join them on the night as well .... it should be a laugh a minute .....not.

I'd say the main reason Celtic didn't take up their ticket allocation entitlement would be the fact that they are now skating on thin ice with UEFA should further cases be called against the club due to fan behaviour, and this is a fixture that would have had Lawell filled with dread. While tying scarves to posts is lame stuff for most of us, in that environment last night it was inflamarory and unhelpful in tempering things for the return fixture. If Lawell could play that behind closed doors he would - they are effectively only a few flags/flares/chants away from more serious UEFA sanction.

BegbieHSC
15-07-2017, 11:49 AM
I dinnae really get the stick Griffiths is getting for this...I quite like the idea of marking your turf after a victory, and after the ***** that Griffiths got during the game, i think he's perfectly justified in noising up a load of neanderthals..

Also, it was obvs a Hibs scarf :na na::na na:

silverhibee
15-07-2017, 11:54 AM

The wee problem with the next game is that Linfield won't refuse there ticket allocation, which could be in the 1000s, Linfield fans travelling to the game and local West of Scotland thugs is a recipe for disaster for the next game, should be fun.

Nutmegged
15-07-2017, 12:00 PM
"hate-crime"

you're utterly bonkers FFS

Topographic Hibby
15-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the clarification :aok:

lord bunberry
15-07-2017, 12:10 PM
I think the ref was pointing that out to him when he got booked, look what happens when you wind these type up. Still, should never have got booked for having stuff thrown at him.

I'm sure the players would have been warned before the game not to do anything that might cause problems during the game, it had plenty build up that this was a powder keg game so lets get the win and GTF out of here straight after it, would have been Rodgers words, doing the 5-1 gesture was a silly thing to do and I'm sure Healy was pointing that out out to Rodgers at the end of the game.

I think you're right about the ref. I think he felt Griffiths was milking it a bit, but as soon as the bottle of buckfast came on he should never have been booked.

High-On-Hibs
15-07-2017, 12:11 PM
The wee problem with the next game is that Linfield won't refuse there ticket allocation, which could be in the 1000s, Linfield fans travelling to the game and local West of Scotland thugs is a recipe for disaster for the next game, should be fun.

In their 1000s, but about 100 of them will be "Linfield" fans.

silverhibee
15-07-2017, 12:11 PM
He is an absolute hero amongst Galatasaray fans for doing that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEJprfOSUIk

Since90+2
15-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Hate crime? :faf::faf:

Probably the daftest thing I've ever read on here.

Keith_M
15-07-2017, 12:24 PM
Considering the circumstances, I don't think it was the wisest thing to do.

However, it's hardly a 'hate crime' and, in the level of how serious it was, it surely pales in comparison to being bombarded with coins and bottles.

Topographic Hibby
15-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Considering the circumstances, I don't think it was the wisest thing to do.

However, it's hardly a 'hate crime' and, in the level of how serious it was, it surely pales in comparison to being bombarded with coins and bottles.
Agreed on both points.

Before this escalates, I think someone needs to be having a word with the players. Griff has done this three times now (?) and the Souness incident in Turkey shows how things can explode.

Tying scarves to opposition goalposts, planting flags etc, this isn't going to end well. The SFA/GFA and SPFL are completely useless, we need to have someone like the players union issuing some "behaviour and expectations" guidance, IMHO.

Pete
15-07-2017, 12:49 PM
I'd say the main reason Celtic didn't take up their ticket allocation entitlement would be the fact that they are now skating on thin ice with UEFA should further cases be called against the club due to fan behaviour, and this is a fixture that would have had Lawell filled with dread. While tying scarves to posts is lame stuff for most of us, in that environment last night it was inflamarory and unhelpful in tempering things for the return fixture. If Lawell could play that behind closed doors he would - they are effectively only a few flags/flares/chants away from more serious UEFA sanction.

More generally, it's infuriating that it takes an outsider applying their standards for Celtic, or Rangers for that matter, to be dealt with.

The "part of our culture" crap won't wash with them and they can see it for what it is.

Itsnoteasy
15-07-2017, 01:15 PM

There was 300 Celtic fans at the match

hibsbollah
15-07-2017, 01:30 PM

There's nothing to suggest that won't happen :hyper

GreenNWhiteArmy
15-07-2017, 02:02 PM
As always, it depends on who done it for the way people will react imo

If it was someone like Barry Ferguson or even Andy Halliday doing this at Easter Road or Parkhead I can guarantee outrage and the "incite riots" debate. The wee rat basturd Skacel done the 5-1 walking off the pitch for Raith and we were raging. On the other hand if Swanson or McGregor done this at Tynie then we'd be lapping it up I guess.

Imo what he's doing is unnecessary and part of his act of sooking up to the hordes who don't even fully appreciate him. Similar to his badge kissing.

As long as he's performing I'll be happy though as it bodes well for the national side

15-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Shock horror football is emotive and tribal. Not sure why people pish their pants about stuff like this.

Just Alf
15-07-2017, 04:01 PM
Hate crime? :faf::faf:

Probably the daftest thing I've ever read on here.
No no!.... One time someone posted that one of the Yam players was almost good enough to actually play for us! Jeez... :-/

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

BullsCloseHibs
15-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Like Neil Lennon, Leigh Griffiths isn't liked by other fans because he is a a quality football player.
Quality football players can tie scarves to posts and run naked with their socks in their mouths for all i care!

RIP Bestie
16-07-2017, 07:43 AM
I accept that "hate crime" was probably not the best terminology to use and apologise for that.
My point is that There were many fans taken to court just for being on the pitch after the cup final but there was some trumped up charge made against them. I have seen my mate dragged out of Ibrox for having the nerve to laugh at the Rangers supporters going mental at Keith Houchen scoring a winner against them, he was in the cells all weekend and taken to court on the Monday morning. I have seen a mate dragged out ot Parkhead for standing up just so he could see a bit of goalmouth action in the "restricted view" section and when he has protested, stewards made out he had used sectarian language. That was enough for the police to charge him and again stick him in the cells for the weekend. I could go on but I won't. What Griffiths done was more inflammatory than any of these examples.

16-07-2017, 09:03 AM
Nothing wrong with it IMO. A little immature yes but hardly a "hate crime" . Griffiths took absolute dogs abuse all game and had countless objects hurled at him including a glass bottle which if it had actually hit his head could have been really serious.

If a hibs player tied a hibs scraf to the tynecastle or ibrox posts after a win I bet we'd all be thinking it was brilliant. The linfield fans are a disgrace, much like their Govan buddies, they gave out heavy abuse all game, threw objects and even had some idiot try to run on and get to Griffiths but here they are in outrage at a silly wee scarf on the goal post, aye ok then :rolleyes:

I get what people are saying about how it could have added more fuel to the fire but surely that says more about the fans than Griffiths, that something as silly as a scarf on the post would be enough to provoke them into "rioting" or causing more trouble.

As one poster already mentioned, i'm sure the Linfield are delighted at their fans behaviour and are looking forward to what revenge the celtic fans have in store for them in the return leg :rolleyes:

SunshineOnLeith
16-07-2017, 10:20 AM
There were many fans taken to court just for being on the pitch after the cup final

No there wasn't.

Eyrie
16-07-2017, 11:33 AM
Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?

How many people on here would be dismissing it as just a bit of banter?

bigwheel
16-07-2017, 11:35 AM
Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner ?

You've taken that too far [emoji2][emoji6]

16-07-2017, 11:40 AM
Hypothetical example, but suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?

How many people on here would be dismissing it as just a bit of banter?

Would be incredibly pissed off but probably more about the fact that that shower of tramps beat us a ER more than the scarf (which I do admit would service its purpose of rubbing a bit of salt in the wound).

I certainly wouldnt be in outrage though, getting my knickers in a twist over it. It's like when that wee rat Ian Black had his "lets paint this place maroon" top on under his hearts jersey when they beat us at ER a few years ago. I was pissed off at the wee **** taking the piss out of us but at the end of the day it was a pretty harmless act. Works both ways tho, Ian Murray went to tynecastle with us with 1973 dyed onto the back of his head. Same idea, harmless act with the simple intent of winding up the opposition fans. Hardly "hate crimes" and was hardly going to insight trouble (or at least any more trouble that what would normally occur at these fixtures).

hibsbollah
16-07-2017, 11:47 AM
suppose Lafferty scores a late winner on 25 October and then ties a Hearts scarf to our goalposts?

Now you're just being silly.

silverhibee
16-07-2017, 08:58 PM
The yellow card can't be rescinded by FIFA, which is baffling, i would like to know why he was yellow carded, time wasting :dunno:

Linfield will get hammered for the trouble caused by the fans.

It wouldn't surprise me if FIFA charge Griffiths for the gesture he made at the 1st corner and tying the scarf to the goalpost.

The return leg should be fun.

Johnny Clash
17-07-2017, 07:50 AM
He intended to wind up the Linfield support and it worked but due to the hateful sectarianism these things can cause serious bother when playing bigots. Most of the Celtc support will love him for it however.

Celebrating in front of opposition fans, making gestures, holding finger to lips and telling them to shut up are also designed to wind people up - it's just part of the game. Tying a scarf to goalposts raises it up a notch for some reason.

lyonhibs
17-07-2017, 09:03 AM
https://youtu.be/vjEXSZh3zzc

What a bampot Souness was!!

humptiedumptie
17-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Will he do it at Easter Road? And will it be a home or away scarf?

DarlingtonHibee
17-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Tin hat on, but having worked in Belfast, and the obvious tensions of the match, plus Celtic having had previous fines, it was stupid, not in anyway condoning what happened with the bottle on the pitch. I wouldn't imagine he would do it at Easter Road.

GreenNWhiteArmy
17-07-2017, 03:11 PM
Charged by UEFA this afternoon for said incident

Carheenlea
17-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Charged by UEFA this afternoon for said incident

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/linfield-and-celtics-leigh-griffiths-charged-by-uefa-after-windsor-park-clash-35939015.html?1

Celtic on a misconduct charge as well as a result of picking up 5 bookings? That must be a new rule is it not?

greenlex
17-07-2017, 04:07 PM
The guy obviously doesn't have a brain. A few weeks ago you've just raised your profile in the footballing world by scoring two fantastic free kicks on the world stage then drain it again by this act of idiocy. He needs help.

BullsCloseHibs
17-07-2017, 05:25 PM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/linfield-and-celtics-leigh-griffiths-charged-by-uefa-after-windsor-park-clash-35939015.html?1

Celtic on a misconduct charge as well as a result of picking up 5 bookings? That must be a new rule is it not?

Always good to wind up a HUN!

Iain G
17-07-2017, 05:35 PM
The guy obviously doesn't have a brain. A few weeks ago you've just raised your profile in the footballing world by scoring two fantastic free kicks on the world stage then drain it again by this act of idiocy. He needs help.

Stupid and childish behaviour that doesn't nobody any good, he should realise beating linfield on the pitch is the best form of revenge

MG1965
17-07-2017, 08:55 PM
it is totally stupid unless..... he was tying it there for whoever lost it to pick it up

Nakedmanoncrack
18-07-2017, 04:17 AM

He's always been an arse, that he's a good football player & a Hibs supporter doesn't change that, it was an idiotic & embarrassing act but that surely comes as no surprise.

Thecat23
18-07-2017, 04:52 AM
He's always been an arse, that he's a good football player & a Hibs supporter doesn't change that, it was an idiotic & embarrassing act but that surely comes as no surprise.

Bit harsh, football needs characters players now act like robots. Ok giving the build up to the match prob not the best thing to do but I don't think he needs help. Fans give out some horrible abuse yet the poor snowflakes can't handle it when it's dished back.

SirDavidsNapper
18-07-2017, 06:31 AM
I really feel for the poor delicate Linfield/Sevco fans that have taken offence to it. They were just happily minding their own business throwing bottles and singing bigoted songs and big bad Leigh goes and ties a scarf to a post. Makes you wonder how they'll ever manage to build their bonfires again with the mental torment Leigh has put them through.

Steve20
18-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Well done super Leigh. Get right up that scabby bigoted mob.!

He also plays for a bigoted mob.

Steve20
18-07-2017, 06:38 AM
Will he do it at Easter Road? And will it be a home or away scarf?

He's Leigh Griffiths of Celtic, not Hibs.

marinello59
18-07-2017, 07:04 AM
He's Leigh Griffiths of Celtic, not Hibs.

Exactly. If any other Celtic player had done this then we would be reading an entirely different thread. Linfield away was not the place for triumphalist gestures from Celtic players, all it has done is take some of the heat of the home fans bad behaviour.

mcohibs
18-07-2017, 07:18 AM
Hardly the crime of the century is it, considering the level of abuse he took throughout the game. Why are Hibs fans raging that a Septic player tied a scarf to goalposts though 🤔 Non-issue for me

Speedy
18-07-2017, 07:23 AM
Hardly the crime of the century is it, considering the level of abuse he took throughout the game. Why are Hibs fans raging that a Septic player tied a scarf to goalposts though 🤔 Non-issue for me

Agreed.

Fans dish it out, if they can't control themselves because they get a wee wind up coming back their way then it's them who need to have a word with themselves, not the player.

And I'd say the same if it was Lafferty at Easter Road.

(As long as he's not touching himself like that muppet Nicholson)

marinello59
18-07-2017, 07:27 AM

I'm not raging. I think it was silly but most of the time the outrage that surrounds fitba is pure pantomime.
I'm sure our fans will merely smile at any Sevco player who ties a blue scarf round the goal posts in front of the Famous Five stand this season. :greengrin

Mr White
18-07-2017, 07:39 AM
After targetting Scott Sinclair on their bonfires earlier this month for the crime of being black, plans are already being made in Orange lodges across Belfast for next year's fires to be built in the shape of giant thumbs.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
18-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Anything that winds-up those lowlifes is fine in my book.

Well donr Leigh!

Iain G
18-07-2017, 07:53 AM
Agreed.

Fans dish it out, if they can't control themselves because they get a wee wind up coming back their way then it's them who need to have a word with themselves, not the player.

And I'd say the same if it was Lafferty at Easter Road.

(As long as he's not touching himself like that muppet Nicholson)

It was a silly and potential inflamatory action that he should have known better to not have even considered.

lord bunberry
18-07-2017, 07:58 AM
It was a silly and potential inflamatory action that he should have known better to not have even considered.
Who cares? All he did was tie a scarf round a goalpost. If a hearts player or any other opposition player did that at Easter Road I couldn't care less. People are placing way too much much significance on this imo.

SunshineOnLeith
18-07-2017, 09:25 AM
I've seen plenty of Hearts fans do the 5-1 gesture since 2012 and haven't once thrown a bottle of buckie at them.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Carheenlea
20-07-2017, 07:38 AM
http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/celtic/celtic-fans-display-paramilitary-banner-during-linfield-game-1-4508859

DavidDavidGray
20-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Just been banned for 1 game because of this. Stupid decision by him

BegbieHSC
01-08-2017, 01:09 PM
The lad coming out with the patter again:

Twenty seconds in, after getting abuse aff the neanderthals, he comes out with "Yer club's deed mate!"

That's oor lad! https://twitter.com/ocbhoy/status/892367892259516418

ehf
01-08-2017, 11:18 PM
The lad coming out with the patter again:

Twenty seconds in, after getting abuse aff the neanderthals, he comes out with "Yer club's deed mate!"

That's oor lad! https://twitter.com/ocbhoy/status/892367892259516418

That's magnificent; in the face of abuse by some knuckle-dragging, lowlife, Buckfast-swilling bigot, Sparky has managed, in a calm and controlled manner, and in fours short words, to articulate the simple truth that has eluded the finest sports administrators, journalists and legal minds in the land for over five years.