PDA

View Full Version : Pre match bevvy

green viper
14-07-2017, 06:12 PM
So with btg now closed where is everyone going pre match tomorrow

Souter96Mac
14-07-2017, 06:14 PM
I'll just snuggle my crate of lager in and sell them amongst the other radges in the famous five

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I was just about to ask the same question.

Is Behind The Goals definitely shut now? I know it was 99.9% certain that it would be closing down but the last communication from the club was that it would "probably" be closing but I didn't hear any confirmation that it had.

Assuming it has closed down, does that mean there's nowhere to have a pre-match drink within Easter Road? The club did say they would be trying to find an alternative but I'm assuming this hasn't happened.

With that in mind, where is the best place to go within walking distance of the stadium that will have easy access for a wheelchair? I've never really gone to any pubs around Easter Road so any advice appreciated!

1875STEVE
14-07-2017, 06:29 PM
Ive always wondered why we didn't build a fans pub at the back of, or onto, the east when it was re-built.

Think it could have been a money spinner.

Filled with loads of Hibs memorabilia etc, could have shoved a restuarant in it, and opened it on non match days???

Onceinawhile
14-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Ive always wondered why we didn't build a fans pub at the back of, or onto, the east when it was re-built.

Think it could have been a money spinner.

Filled with loads of Hibs memorabilia etc, could have shoved a restuarant in it, and opened it on non match days???

There isn't masses of space. Plus is imagine it would have needed a separate piece of planning permission.

.Sean.
14-07-2017, 07:03 PM
There isn't masses of space. Plus is imagine it would have needed a separate piece of planning permission.
Are you for real? There's rakes of space between the East and famous five, and it could've been built in a way it would've looked out onto the pitch. It would also have enclosed that corner better than that big daft billboard.

Failing that a supporters bar could've been built in the east above the concourse.

NthCarolinaHibs
14-07-2017, 07:05 PM
Then why no get some marquis up behind the East, like the Murray field hotel do,when the rugby is on..got to make a Bob or two, shirley..💰💰

Onceinawhile
14-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Are you for real? There's rakes of space between the East and famous five, and it could've been built in a way it would've looked out onto the pitch. It would also have enclosed that corner better than that big daft billboard.

Failing that a supporters bar could've been built in the east above the concourse.

He said behind the east. There isn't masses of space behind the east. Planning point still stands regardless.

B.H.F.C
14-07-2017, 07:11 PM

The way it was designed it still can be. Believe this was one of the alternatives the club were looking at. Obviously at the time the east was built there was no requirement for it.

With how quiet it's been I get the feeling nothing will be happening.

Golden Bear
14-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Disgrace that the BTG has been closed in any case. We're a football club first and foremost.

Billy Whizz
14-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Disgrace that the BTG has been closed in any case. We're a football club first and foremost.

Closed before something else was put in place in my opinion
Yes, we are a football club 1st and foremost!

California-Hibs
14-07-2017, 07:39 PM
Why is BTG closed? Is it just for this match or the foreseeable?

B.H.F.C
14-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Forever. Going to be a doctors surgery or something to do with the NHS.

Brightside
14-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Do you get the irony in that statement? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2017, 07:44 PM
Do you get the irony in that statement? :greengrin

Hahaha my thinking too ;-)

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 07:53 PM

They announced about 6 months ago that it would be closed down for this season.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 08:02 PM
I was just about to ask the same question.

Is Behind The Goals definitely shut now? I know it was 99.9% certain that it would be closing down but the last communication from the club was that it would "probably" be closing but I didn't hear any confirmation that it had.

Assuming it has closed down, does that mean there's nowhere to have a pre-match drink within Easter Road? The club did say they would be trying to find an alternative but I'm assuming this hasn't happened.

With that in mind, where is the best place to go within walking distance of the stadium that will have easy access for a wheelchair? I've never really gone to any pubs around Easter Road so any advice appreciated!

Anyone? :dunno:

semaj64
14-07-2017, 08:11 PM
The old Loch Inn think it is Edinburgh City club now, is it open to non members?

Pretty Boy
14-07-2017, 08:20 PM
Anyone? :dunno:

Depends what you are looking for.

On Easter Road there is the Iona and Tamsons, both quite small and busy so maybe not ideal for accesibility. The Office also gets busy but a bit more spacious, Four In Hand has quite an open space when going in the door but narrows after that. Again quite busy. You then have the Mash Tun which does a lot of food and usually has a few away fans in as well. You also have the Persevere right at the bottom of ER which is a really nice pub and pretty big.

Up at Abbeyhill you have the Artisan which is a typical old mans pub or the Safari Lounge which again tends to be quite food led.

On Leith Walk you have Robbies and the Harp and Castle which probably just about qualify as walking distance. Think the H&C has a few steps just as you go in the door iirc though.

You also have the Hibs Club, most weeks non members can be signed in and you have a few choices of rooms/bars in there.

Tomorrow may be a good day to try a couple to see what you like as it will be a bit quieter than a league game. There's a decent amount of choice.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 08:28 PM

On Easter Road there is the Iona and Tamsons, both quite small and busy so maybe not ideal for accesibility. The Office also gets busy but a bit more spacious, Four In Hand has quite an open space when going in the door but narrows after that. Again quite busy. You then have the Mash Tun which does a lot of food and usually has a few away fans in as well. You also have the Persevere right at the bottom of ER which is a really nice pub and pretty big.

Up at Abbeyhill you have the Artisan which is a typical old mans pub or the Safari Lounge which again tends to be quite food led.

On Leith Walk you have Robbies and the Harp and Castle which probably just about qualify as walking distance. Think the H&C has a few steps just as you go in the door iirc though.

You also have the Hibs Club, most weeks non members can be signed in and you have a few choices of rooms/bars in there.

Tomorrow may be a good day to try a couple to see what you like as it will be a bit quieter than a league game. There's a decent amount of choice.

Brilliant cheers for that. :aok:

.Sean.
14-07-2017, 08:31 PM
The old Loch Inn think it is Edinburgh City club now, is it open to non members?
Not sure. Me and my mates got in no bother after the game last Sunday but unsure what the script will be regular match days, especially if Edinburgh City are at home.

MSK
14-07-2017, 08:37 PM
Not sure. Me and my mates got in no bother after the game last Sunday but unsure what the script will be regular match days, especially if Edinburgh City are at home.Edin City are playing at Spartans this season, think they would get a good bit of income if they opened their doors to hibs fans for a few games

.Sean.
14-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Edin City are playing at Spartans this season, think they would get a good bit of income if they opened their doors to hibs fans for a few games
Hadnt realised that. What's the reason behind it?

MSK
14-07-2017, 08:40 PM
Hadnt realised that. What's the reason behind it?Think they are ready to start work on Meadowbank soon mate

lord bunberry
14-07-2017, 08:43 PM
I've been to the Edinburgh City club a few times, it's really good. If you're going to make it a regular thing you would be as well just to get a membership. It's only something like £10 a year and that gets you a discount at the bar.

SChibs
14-07-2017, 09:12 PM
I'll just snuggle my crate of lager in and sell them amongst the other radges in the famous five

Where will i meet you and can I get a multibuy discount?

Real Emerald
14-07-2017, 09:30 PM
I've been to the Edinburgh City club a few times, it's really good. If you're going to make it a regular thing you would be as well just to get a membership. It's only something like £10 a year and that gets you a discount at the bar.

It's £20 a year, I was in last week and got a membership form and I'm waiting to see what happens with BTG. If I pay my £20 I won't be back to the replacement. With the facilities that were in place at Easter Road it's a travesty that the place is being shut in a year with record ST numbers. I get the impression they're not too bothered though and the regular punters can try to get back into all the pubs they used to frequent before BTG had a hand in closing then. Most of the punters in BTG are ST holders when we were getting 8000 at games btw.

semaj64
15-07-2017, 08:26 AM

Cheers might give it try

Andy74
15-07-2017, 08:35 AM
It's £20 a year, I was in last week and got a membership form and I'm waiting to see what happens with BTG. If I pay my £20 I won't be back to the replacement. With the facilities that were in place at Easter Road it's a travesty that the place is being shut in a year with record ST numbers. I get the impression they're not too bothered though and the regular punters can try to get back into all the pubs they used to frequent before BTG had a hand in closing then. Most of the punters in BTG are ST holders when we were getting 8000 at games btw.

Agree. I've been taking my daughter there for years and real part of her game experience. It was already an issue when they started letting everyone in and we couldn't get there early enough to get in but worse now there's nothing at all. Busy pubs with a kid not quite the same.

As you say it's nice to be getting bigger crowds but those that have been keeping things going for years now are losing facilities.

LancashireHibby
15-07-2017, 09:01 AM
In real terms I expect the club will make a lot more money in rent from the NHS than 4 hours of - relatively limited - boozing income every other week so it's absolutely the right decision. Building something above the East concourse is an intriguing idea but would undoubtedly cost a fortune to put everything in place, nor would it be viable to open during the week etc or that would have been something explored with the West Stand suites or indeed BTG in the first place.

Yes it would be good for the club to have an official social club but I like to think of it as a community contribution that the pubs on ER and the Walk have so much reliance on Hibs games.

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 10:09 AM
BTG wasn't my favourite pre match venue but I used it occasionally for convenience and can see how valuable it was to those with young kids as it was to me at one time. The other thing is was it was one of the selling points used to add benefit to a ST before they opened it to all and sundry. The pubs on Easter Road were already rammed with BTG operating on match days so not much room for manoeuvre as a replacement venue for many. A fan zone type thing is the only viable option I can see in the short term to provide a suitable venue.

Real Emerald
15-07-2017, 10:23 AM
In real terms I expect the club will make a lot more money in rent from the NHS than 4 hours of - relatively limited - boozing income every other week so it's absolutely the right decision. Building something above the East concourse is an intriguing idea but would undoubtedly cost a fortune to put everything in place, nor would it be viable to open during the week etc or that would have been something explored with the West Stand suites or indeed BTG in the first place.

Yes it would be good for the club to have an official social club but I like to think of it as a community contribution that the pubs on ER and the Walk have so much reliance on Hibs games.

I disagree to an extent. When the NHS hub was first talked about it was to be put into unused space in the South stand, great idea. No one thought for a minute it was going replace and close down the facilities in the FF that fans have came to rely on pre match. If this was in addition then I'd be all for it. Out of town folk who rely on the car have to get in early enough to park, that means you need somewhere to go. This is an ideal and well used facility for this purpos, especially for people with kids, elderly or infirm.

It's a facility for the fans attending a football match, the very reason it was built in the first place. As I've said, most of the punters that go there have been going for years, many started as kids and are now adults who would take their own kids. It's a real shame considering the amount of ST holders we have now.

The Modfather
15-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Usually go to Joseph Pearce pre match. Shame they got rid of their Red Stripe tap 😕

Golden Bear
15-07-2017, 10:27 AM
I disagree to an extent. When the NHS hub was first talked about it was to be put into unused space in the South stand, great idea. No one thought for a minute it was going replace and close down the facilities in the FF that fans have came to rely on pre match. If this was in addition then I'd be all for it. Out of town folk who rely on the car have to get in early enough to park, that means you need somewhere to go. This is an ideal and well used facility for this purpos, especially for people with kids, elderly or infirm.

It's a facility for the fans attending a football match, the very reason it was built in the first place. As I've said, most of the punters that go there have been going for years, many started as kids and are now adults who would take their own kids. It's a real shame considering the amount of ST holders we have now.

:top marks

Andy74
15-07-2017, 12:52 PM

Agree totally.

LancashireHibby
15-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Fair points, but the club has to look after the bottom line as much as anything else. If it's something that the club consider to be vital in terms of attracting and retaining ST sales then I'm sure it will be treated with the importance it deserves, but as unpopular a decision as it may be, it may have been seen as something of an expensive luxury. All speculation on my part for what it's worth and the club may well be looking at a replacement in the meantime, but I would hate that to be at the expense of transfer budget and the like.

StevieCowan
15-07-2017, 07:55 PM
Was there any update on BTG from the fans surgery today?

Billy Whizz
15-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Was there any update on BTG from the fans surgery today?

Thinking the same, thanks for raising this Stevie

Carheenlea
15-07-2017, 08:44 PM
No club in Scotland has as many pubs/bars/restaurant's in close proximity to their ground as we do. People will quickly find alternatives, and then when enjoying better quality drink and food will soon wonder what the fuss was all about.

1875STEVE
15-07-2017, 08:49 PM
He said behind the east. There isn't masses of space behind the east. Planning point still stands regardless.

IMO there is plenty space, they could build it up the way surely.

Im not sure what costs would be right enough, but i think its an oppertunity missed.

Think they idea of a "pop up" area behind there on match days is a good idea as well. beer tent,food stalls etc

1875STEVE
15-07-2017, 08:51 PM

What about the car park between the east and ff???

As you say, they could look out over pitch, could be built up,over 2/3 floors??

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 08:52 PM

Ended up not going to a pub today as the other two I was with didn't fancy it.

However just for future reference, do any of these pubs ban football colours? I've heard a few people talk about things like this over the years so just wondered so I can rule these places out as I'm always in my colours on a match day.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2017, 08:57 PM
What about the car park between the east and ff???

As you say, they could look out over pitch, could be built up,over 2/3 floors??

For years we've moaned about spending money on building stuff instead of a building a team. Now folk want us to spend money on something that'd get used every couple of weeks. Wouldn't be cheap to build something in that space and I'd rather we spent money on the team. And I'm someone that used to use BTG.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2017, 08:57 PM

However just for future reference, do any of these pubs ban football colours? I've heard a few people talk about things like this over the years so just wondered so I can rule these places out as I'm always in my colours on a match day.

No problem with that anywhere on ER.

1875STEVE
15-07-2017, 09:04 PM
For years we've moaned about spending money on building stuff instead of a building a team. Now folk want us to spend money on something that'd get used every couple of weeks. Wouldn't be cheap to build something in that space and I'd rather we spent money on the team. And I'm someone that used to use BTG.

But the "stuff" needed built to get the club in a good position.

Training in locals parks and fans in run down stands, with no womens toilets, isnt a place a club of our stature should be.

Im glad we spent on these things.

Also, why could a bar there not be opened on non match days????

Could open a resturant there.

Im thinking of MAKING the club money, so they can use it on the team.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 09:08 PM

OK thanks so all the places PB mentioned to me are fine with folk going in with colours on? :aok:

B.H.F.C
15-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Training in locals parks and fans in run down stands, with no womens toilets, isnt a place a club of our stature should be.

The first part of what you say kind of backs up what I'm saying. We spent money on necessary things at the expense of the team. Imagine spending money on building a bar at the expense of the teaM!

The obvious comparison is to something like Shearers at St James Park. That's right in the heart of the city. How many people would really head in to ER to use the restaurant on a Tuesday night? If Hibs built something like that it would take ages to get any return on their investment. The money is better spent on the team in the first place.

B.H.F.C
15-07-2017, 09:17 PM
OK thanks so all the places PB mentioned to me are fine with folk going in with colours on? :aok:

As far as I know. Certainly the likes of The Office or Four In Hand are packed with people in colours.

Mr White
15-07-2017, 09:18 PM

No problem with colours in the Safari Lounge. I brought my 6 year old son there before today's game as I do everytime we're back. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, good for kids, decent beer and food options... I can't recommend it highly enough.

Not the closest but at least it's downhill from there to the ground :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-07-2017, 09:38 PM

Yes fine with colours in all of them mentioned by PB.

Sir David Gray
15-07-2017, 09:39 PM
As far as I know. Certainly the likes of The Office or Four In Hand are packed with people in colours.

No problem with colours in the Safari Lounge. I brought my 6 year old son there before today's game as I do everytime we're back. Friendly staff, nice atmosphere, good for kids, decent beer and food options... I can't recommend it highly enough.

Not the closest but at least it's downhill from there to the ground :greengrin

Cheers folks. :aok:

Jamesie
16-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Even the Mash Tun? It used to have a no colours policy but mind you I'm going back a couple of years.

LancashireHibby
16-07-2017, 07:45 PM

If there is seen to be potential in a restaurant then maybe they could open the West Stand suites to test the water before throwing any money at it?

Even the Mash Tun? It used to have a no colours policy but mind you I'm going back a couple of years.
Absolutely fine in the Mash in colours.