PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Abdelhak Nouri

Time For Heroes
13-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Just seen this on the bbc, 20 years old, such a shame.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40595416
http://bbc.in/2tM33lm

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-07-2017, 02:42 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40595416

Tragic.

BSEJVT
13-07-2017, 03:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40595416

Tragic.

That's the only word I can think of to describe it as well.

This happening far too often (once would be too often) these days

Boyle89
13-07-2017, 04:08 PM
That's the only word I can think of to describe it as well.

This happening far too often (once would be too often) these days

Did it happen a lot in the past and we just never heard about it? I agree it does seem to be happening more these days.
Feel for his family.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Very exciting young player as well as a nice guy (done lots of work with kids and young offenders in Morocco apparently)

Really horrible, tragic thing to happen.

Andy74
13-07-2017, 04:10 PM
Did it happen a lot in the past and we just never heard about it? I agree it does seem to be happening more these days.
Feel for his family.

There were less players of African descent. Unfortunately they seem to be more genetically susceptible to this.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2017, 07:23 PM
I read about this earlier today, it's unbelievably tragic what's happened. If I understand it correctly, he's effectively brain dead and has no chance of making any kind of recovery. It's scary how things like this can happen without any warning.

Just 20 years of age, apparently with a great future ahead of him and all that taken away from him in an instant.

Really sad.

brianmc
13-07-2017, 07:53 PM
There were less players of African descent. Unfortunately they seem to be more genetically susceptible to this.

Tragic news indeed regarding Nouri.

Though I'm interested/intrigued as to your comment Andy. I'm aware that we hear about these tragic events (players collapsing) more often now than we ever have before but I just assumed it was due to the wall to wall 24/7 coverage of football that we have nowadays. I've never once stopped and looked at the ethnicity of the individuals involved.
You've now given me cause to think about these incidents and I feel you may be correct in your observation.
Are you aware of any facts/figures/studies etc relating to this sad phenomenon?

jamieross
13-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Tragic news indeed regarding Nouri.

Though I'm interested/intrigued as to your comment Andy. I'm aware that we hear about these tragic events (players collapsing) more often now than we ever have before but I just assumed it was due to the wall to wall 24/7 coverage of football that we have nowadays. I've never once stopped and looked at the ethnicity of the individuals involved.
You've now given me cause to think about these incidents and I feel you may be correct in your observation.
Are you aware of any facts/figures/studies etc relating to this sad phenomenon?

There was an article on the BBC new site a few weeks back when Tiote colllapsedabout this, not sure of the link but the conclusion is that it seemed players of African descent were more likely there wasn't enough data collected over the years to say conclusively that this was the reason.

heres the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40260280

kaimendhibs
13-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Tragic.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

pacorosssco
14-07-2017, 12:17 AM
Sad in any walk of life when you are robbed of a future and a Family has a member taken to soon.

Phil MaGlass
14-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Its a real shame, the lad was tipped for the top, very much liked by all.

brianmc
14-07-2017, 07:41 AM
There was an article on the BBC new site a few weeks back when Tiote colllapsedabout this, not sure of the link but the conclusion is that it seemed players of African descent were more likely there wasn't enough data collected over the years to say conclusively that this was the reason.

heres the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-40260280

Interesting stuff. Thanks for the link.

basehibby
14-07-2017, 08:27 AM
I suspect this to be Wide of the mark. My suspicion is that with the barmy amounts of cash swilling about in football these days there has been an upsurge in cocaine abuse amongst footballers - its a drug which is known to be directly linked to heart attacks afterall and footballers do routinely push their bodies very hard. I've no evidence for this other than rumour and circumstance but think there is likely to be a link.

Scouse Hibee
14-07-2017, 09:07 AM
I suspect this to be Wide of the mark. My suspicion is that with the barmy amounts of cash swilling about in football these days there has been an upsurge in cocaine abuse amongst footballers - its a drug which is known to be directly linked to heart attacks afterall and footballers do routinely push their bodies very hard. I've no evidence for this other than rumour and circumstance but think there is likely to be a link.

To be honest I think that is far wider of the mark than Andy's suggestion. Seems to happen to a lot of African players, no suggestion in any of the historic cases that the use of substance was to blame in any way.

Since90+2
14-07-2017, 09:10 AM
I cant remember any report even hinting that substance abuse was part of the cause of these tragedies. Its a bit of leap to say simply because cocaine use is fairly common in society that these guys have somehow inflicted the damage on themselves by using cocaine.

ian cruise
14-07-2017, 10:16 AM

I'd imagine drug abuse to the extent that players his age are having these attacks would show up in am autopsy.

Simkin911
14-07-2017, 11:06 AM
The lad is alive so there's no place for an autopsy here.

In the UK, there is - I suspect - much better recording, investigation and follow up of familial conditions of any nature - than say in Africa. This could mean that many young athletes are endangering themselves by participating in high stress activities without knowledge that they are doing so. It may not be enough to test players every few years.

Where a key family history exists then individuals at risk would probably need follow up frequently (yearly) to ensure they are not developing clinical symptoms or anatomical changes. This could minimise events further.

Cocaine use is certainly associated with increased risk of cardiac arrest but there's nil in this report to suggest he was 'high' whilst playing.

ian cruise
14-07-2017, 11:38 AM
The lad is alive so there's no place for an autopsy here.

In the UK, there is - I suspect - much better recording, investigation and follow up of familial conditions of any nature - than say in Africa. This could mean that many young athletes are endangering themselves by participating in high stress activities without knowledge that they are doing so. It may not be enough to test players every few years.

Where a key family history exists then individuals at risk would probably need follow up frequently (yearly) to ensure they are not developing clinical symptoms or anatomical changes. This could minimise events further.

Cocaine use is certainly associated with increased risk of cardiac arrest but there's nil in this report to suggest he was 'high' whilst playing.

I was meaning about other cases in the past, the post I quoted was saying he believed the high number of these were due to cocaine abuse rather than genetics.

Edit - I also would imagine that since the 70s footballers have been able to get hold of and have abused cocaine and the numbers are only seemingly spiking now.

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-07-2017, 11:46 AM

I suspect that this is significantly wider of the mark than the actual link that seems to exist between African footballers and heart issues. 20 year old footballers are not dropping down nearly dead because of cocaine.

hibbycraig
14-07-2017, 03:13 PM
Im sure I read a report a few years ago about people of African heritage having a thicker/thinner left wall of the heart or something similar. A mixture of that and pushing your body to the limits day after day in training/games compared to what they did decades ago is probably why it would appear to be happening more often I would guess?