PDA

View Full Version : youngsters

steelendhibs
13-07-2017, 01:52 PM
Just thinking Scott Martin really needs to break through this season. If he is as good as we think he is, Fyvie shouldn't be a massive loss.

Oli Shaw you would think should be looking to come off the bench and affect games this season, meaning the loss of Keatings shouldn't be that much felt. Although I am not sure he could have made the step up. His free kicks could have been useful right enough.

On those 2 fronts I am content that we are not far off where we need to be.

Personally, I would be happy with Pennant, Stokes and Henderson coming in. Whittaker I could take or leave. Seems as though lennong quite likes porteous so forster not a massive loss as a squad player.

Swanson and Boyle as wide / creative options also points to us being better placed than last year as Humphrey was injured, shinnie was patchy and Harris just didn't take his opportunities.

All in all I think we are doing OK.

Brightside
13-07-2017, 01:59 PM
We will see plenty of Fraser Murray and Scott Martin this season. Crane can cover for Lewis and I wouldst be against playing Oli in the majority of our cup games, and sub appearances in games we are doing well in. We have a very good group of youngsters now. Best in a long time.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-07-2017, 02:05 PM
We will see plenty of Fraser Murray and Scott Martin this season. Crane can cover for Lewis and I wouldst be against playing Oli in the majority of our cup games, and sub appearances in games we are doing well in. We have a very good group of youngsters now. Best in a long time.

Good to hear - could make a real difference to our squad this season if two or three of them can become first team regulars.

pacoluna
13-07-2017, 02:10 PM

we have been saying that for the past 10 year :greengrin

The Modfather
13-07-2017, 02:17 PM

Have only seen Crane a couple of times and not sure he will make it, but far too early to know either way. I know he has featured in pre-season but will Lennon actually play him when Stevenson is out? I just think back to Hanlon covering LB last season.

Hannah_hfc
13-07-2017, 02:19 PM
Now that the pressure of promotion is away, I'd say we can start getting these youngsters more involved with the first team. Only seen Scott Martin play but heard very little to no negatives on Shaw, Crane and Porteous.

The club is in a better situation now to start getting these guys involved.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Brightside
13-07-2017, 02:22 PM
[/B]

we have been saying that for the past 10 year :greengrin

This time i mean it. :greengrin

CapitalGreen
13-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Just thinking Scott Martin really needs to break through this season. If he is as good as we think he is, Fyvie shouldn't be a massive loss.

Oli Shaw you would think should be looking to come off the bench and affect games this season, meaning the loss of Keatings shouldn't be that much felt. Although I am not sure he could have made the step up. His free kicks could have been useful right enough.

On those 2 fronts I am content that we are not far off where we need to be.

Personally, I would be happy with Pennant, Stokes and Henderson coming in. Whittaker I could take or leave. Seems as though lennong quite likes porteous so forster not a massive loss as a squad player.

Swanson and Boyle as wide / creative options also points to us being better placed than last year as Humphrey was injured, shinnie was patchy and Harris just didn't take his opportunities.

All in all I think we are doing OK.

Martin had the opportunity to usurp Fyfie last season when Fraser was injured or suffering patchy form. Got to ask why Martin only managed 429 minutes.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Martin had the opportunity to usurp Fyfie last season when Fraser was injured or suffering patchy form. Got to ask why Martin only managed 429 minutes.

Yeah i dont see anything outstanding about him - seemed one of those who is competent at everything but brilliant at nothing. Thats not to say that doesnt habe a value (maybe fyvie is a good example?) but it takes a mature toung player to work to those parameters amd turn them into am asset.

greenlex
13-07-2017, 02:47 PM
I think promotion at all costs was a huge factor. I think Lennon was reluctant to take any sort of risk however small it could have turned out to be.

CapitalGreen
13-07-2017, 03:00 PM
I think promotion at all costs was a huge factor. I think Lennon was reluctant to take any sort of risk however small it could have turned out to be.

Possibly. I'd love him to have a breakthrough season. However, if he wasn't trusted against Championship opposition, will he be against Premiership teams?

lord bunberry
13-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Possibly. I'd love him to have a breakthrough season. However, if he wasn't trusted against Championship opposition, will he be against Premiership teams?

I don't think the opposition had anything to do with him not playing. Everything was on the line for us last season and the managers reputation was also on the line. It's not easy in that situation to take risks.