PDA

View Full Version : NHC Shankly

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Should be worth watching.

A feature-length documentary about legendary Liverpool FC manager Bill Shankly will air on the BBC this Autumn.

The film, Shankly: Nature’s fire, will examine the Scottish manager’s career and vision to make Liverpool the greatest football club in the world.

It boasts an impressive array of contributors including former players from Liverpool and their rivals such as Ian St John, Denis Law, Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan and Steven Gerrard and Family members, journalists and fans will also take part.

The Scotsman from Glenbuck, Scotland, took on the job at Anfield in 1959 after a successful football career and transformed the club, taking the team on to become First Division champions, UEFA and FA cup winners - and laying the groundwork for years of success after his shock retirement in July 1974.

greenlex
13-07-2017, 04:28 PM
His brother was the better manager.

ancient hibee
13-07-2017, 05:37 PM
And managed a team in Europe before Bill.

Scouse Hibee
13-07-2017, 05:50 PM

It's pretty hard to qualify that statement really.

Hibernia&Alba
13-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Should be worth a watch. The series on Busby, Shankly and Stein a few years back (was it BBC?) was excellent.

Baader
13-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Should be worth a watch. The series on Busby, Shankly and Stein a few years back (was it BBC?) was excellent.

That series was a 1997 Arena 3 parter called The Football Men, written and presented by Hugh McIlvanney. A fantastic watch which really needs repeating or put on iPlayer.

Years ago I worked at the Beeb down here in White City and managed to burn a DVD copy from their archive. Brilliant documentary as I'm sure the upcoming Shanks one will be. The man himself was great entertainment, could listen to him talk all day - rousing, spine tingling stuff... and my family club is Everton!

Pretty Boy
13-07-2017, 07:48 PM
Saw John Keiths Bill Shankly Story at the Brunton Theatre last year. Some of the stories from guys like Ian St John and Ian Callaghan were really interesting and the clips of Shanklys interviews were superb. On being offered the Liverpool job and told he could have the biggest job in England he replied 'Has Matt Busby died?' Can't see a potential Liverpool manager getting away with that these days!

Seemed a real character, looking forward to this.

Big L
13-07-2017, 07:52 PM

I think Bob Shankly was in charge at Hibs when we done NapOli. We were 1-4 down from the 1st leg and when he got off the plane he said " we will go thru " most people were wetting themselves, but we did handsomely!

1two
13-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Should be worth watching.

A feature-length documentary about legendary Liverpool FC manager Bill Shankly will air on the BBC this Autumn.

The film, Shankly: Nature’s fire, will examine the Scottish manager’s career and vision to make Liverpool the greatest football club in the world.

It boasts an impressive array of contributors including former players from Liverpool and their rivals such as Ian St John, Denis Law, Roger Hunt, Kevin Keegan and Steven Gerrard and Family members, journalists and fans will also take part.

The Scotsman from Glenbuck, Scotland, took on the job at Anfield in 1959 after a successful football career and transformed the club, taking the team on to become First Division champions, UEFA and FA cup winners - and laying the groundwork for years of success after his shock retirement in July 1974.

I once heard Bertie Mee tried to quiz Shankly on the Northbank Highbury.
Shanks admitted he had no knowledge of them

Can't remember the rest of the story but hopefully someone on here will?

Forza Fred
15-07-2017, 02:34 AM
I think he followed up his answer with a series of short denials.

I seem to recall it started with a nah, nah, nah, nah nah, nah.............

SON OF PADDY
15-07-2017, 09:53 AM
I once heard Bertie Mee tried to quiz Shankly on the Northbank Highbury.
Shanks admitted he had no knowledge of them

Can't remember the rest of the story but hopefully someone on here will?

Superb mate 😁

surreyhibbie
15-07-2017, 12:09 PM
It's pretty hard to qualify that statement really.

Shanks was my boyhood hero. A great man.