PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Scottish Cup Legend

Johnny_Leith
13-07-2017, 10:01 AM
It's a tough question, but have we a biggest legend out of all the involved?

The hoodoo breaking manager who revitalised the club?

The CEO, who without none would be possible?

The striker, who dragged us through the game and scored two goals?

The young sub, who delivered the two best corners in the history of the corner kick?

The revitalised keeper, who saved our bacon in the semi final?

The loyal left back, through thick and thin with us?

The born and bred Hibee, who took the long way to the pro game winning the cup against the team he was deemed not good enough for?

The club captain, who scored our famous last gasp effort, ensuing pandemonium:flag::flag::flag:

Can you even choose?

Big_Franck
13-07-2017, 10:08 AM
I went for Stokes as without his contribution that day there's not a hope in hell we'd have won the Scottish. I'd have had Cummings in the list of options ahead of Stevenson and McGregor, although they all contributed. Cummings' goal at Tynecastle to get us back in the game and then his winner in the replay at Easter Road were huge, huge goals in our cup run.

lucky
13-07-2017, 10:09 AM
The whole club, the team, the management, the squad, the fans and the Hibernian community

scuttle
13-07-2017, 10:11 AM
It's a tough question, but have we a biggest legend out of all the involved?

The hoodoo breaking manager who revitalised the club?

The CEO, who without none would be possible?

The striker, who dragged us through the game and scored two goals?

The young sub, who delivered the two best corners in the history of the corner kick?

The revitalised keeper, who saved our bacon in the semi final?

The loyal left back, through thick and thin with us?

The born and bred Hibee, who took the long way to the pro game winning the cup against the team he was deemed not good enough for?

The club captain, who scored our famous last gasp effort, ensuing pandemonium:flag::flag::flag:

Can you even choose?

Its a toss up for me between Sir David or Stubbsy

munchar
13-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Every player that contributed from the first game is a legend. I used to think if I was an unused sub in a cup final, I wouldn't feel part of it, but then you look back at Kevin Thomson who wasn't selected, but clears a game winning ball of the line at Tynecastle. Without that contribution there's no Cup! ⚽️🇳🇬💚

SlickShoes
13-07-2017, 10:12 AM
I voted for David Gray but Stokes was fantastic that day. Everyone was, I wouldn't say Stokes dragged us through the game. Everyone.

Hibee Mac
13-07-2017, 10:13 AM
This is what I love more than anything about this cup win, there are so many amazing back stories along the way with everyone involved.

KWJ
13-07-2017, 10:14 AM
Every player that contributed from the first game is a legend. I used to think if I was an unused sub in a cup final, I wouldn't feel part of it, but then you look back at Kevin Thomson who wasn't selected, but clears a game winning ball of the line at Tynecastle. Without that contribution there's no Cup! ⚽️🇳🇬💚

Hear Hear.

Still voted SDG mind :wink:

Dobosz83
13-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Sir David.

When that bullet header hit the back of the net, I've never been more emotional at a Hibs game in all my life and never will be again. I knew we had done it and the fact he was captain made it all the more meaningful.

It still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up watching it back now. I wish I could relive that moment.

Since90+2
13-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Dont think you can single anyone person out. It was a collective effort by everyone associated with the club.

OsloHibs
13-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Alan Stubbs for me. He brought in Conrad who got us to the final. He left Henderson on the bench at the final. And his first Hibs signing was Sir David who scored the goal. Still waiting for a stand to be renamed after him!!!

Stevie Reid
13-07-2017, 10:25 AM
Couldn't decide. They all are.

alihibs1
13-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Mark Oxley for losing his contact lens in the quarters.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

erin go bragh
13-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Stubbs for me . Master stroke playing Conrad in the semi .
The whole squad are running him very close tho ,with names below running him even closer .
Stokes ,SDG ,SJM , Henderson,Conrad , Cummings,Hanlon . And a special mention to our bottling neighbors .

Pretty Boy
13-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Alan Stubbs for me.

He inherited an absolute shambles. All the good work done behind the scenes would have failed if the football manager hadn't been right and Stubbs was right man, right time. As much as the league campaigns were ultimately disappointing he built a team with the mentality to bounce back and that truly believed in themselves and their team mates. We were very close to an unprecedented cup double.

For all the great individual performances in the final and on the road I think Stubbs was the glue that held it together during that run and particularly in the days following the Falkirk disappointment.

jockodile
13-07-2017, 10:36 AM
Alan Stubbs for me. He brought in Conrad who got us to the final. He left Henderson on the bench at the final. And his first Hibs signing was Sir David who scored the goal. Still waiting for a stand to be renamed after him!!!

Alan Stubbs picked the team who done the business and every player who contributed over the whole campaign come out with enormous credit, Jason's goals Conrads saves, the defence in crucial moments and of course the sublime Stokes on the day but when the chips were down I think Rod Petrie called it right in the DVD.

With 12 or so minutes left the crowd did stir, it was very noticeable and reminded me of the defiant chanting at the Celtic final in 2013. Spontaneous but very significant.

The players on the field took a lift from that, and from that ball Fraser let go for a corner the world stopped spinning for some unforgettable moments crowned by that header by SDG that was the single most important Hibs goal of all our lifetimes.

so yes manager, players and other staff deserve most of the plaudits but the Hibs support on that day in 2016 was the reason we came home with the silverware.

Hibby Gav
13-07-2017, 10:44 AM
Stokes was incredible
But the way the captain drove us forward in that last 10 minutes and then closed the deal seals the vote from me.
David Gray ! :hibees

ggtth

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-07-2017, 10:46 AM
Alan Stubbs for me.

He inherited an absolute shambles. All the good work done behind the scenes would have failed if the football manager hadn't been right and Stubbs was right man, right time. As much as the league campaigns were ultimately disappointing he built a team with the mentality to bounce back and that truly believed in themselves and their team mates. We were very close to an unprecedented cup double.

For all the great individual performances in the final and on the road I think Stubbs was the glue that held it together during that run and particularly in the days following the Falkirk disappointment.

I'd been about to post and say everybody but reading this has changed my mind entirely.

Some great points you make. So for me, Stubbsy wins

Green Cabbage 7
13-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Stokes for me, thought he was going to do it when a Hun in the pub said to me as long as stokes doesn't score, 😂😂😂

NAE NOOKIE
13-07-2017, 11:04 AM
I couldn't possibly cast a vote on this ..... too many people made a significant contribution and not just in the final ... from Marvin Bartley who was immense in both games against the Yams to KT whose header off the line at the PBS stopped a certain Hearts winner and yet neither of them played in the final .... they were all heroes.

Frazerbob
13-07-2017, 11:13 AM
Robbie Neilson

NORTHERNHIBBY
13-07-2017, 11:15 AM
David Gray has become the icon for that day. But when that header hit that back of the net, we were all David Gray and he was all of us.

Craig_in_Prague
13-07-2017, 11:16 AM
Anthony Stokes.

SunshineOnLeith
13-07-2017, 11:21 AM
Andy Halliday

Steve20
13-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Stokes.

Craig_in_Prague
13-07-2017, 11:23 AM
Andy Halliday

lol
and Nicky Clark. nice play in injury time :)

zolliehibs
13-07-2017, 11:38 AM
Realistically it's Stubbs, Gray or Stokes but I couldn't face the thought of Hendo having no votes so I delivered mine to him.

Souter96Mac
13-07-2017, 11:40 AM
For me its Sir David, I've got a massive signed canvas of him lifting the cup that was given to me for my 21st and I'll never celebrate a goal more so than that one i think. Well until we win it this year :wink:

pacoluna
13-07-2017, 11:44 AM
Logan for me.

Salt N Sauzee
13-07-2017, 11:50 AM
Terry Butcher started the chain of events that led to 21.5.16. An unsung hero.

FilipinoHibs
13-07-2017, 12:07 PM
Hibernian FC

snooky
13-07-2017, 12:18 PM
While the team as a whole played their part, Stokes stood out by a mile. Had he scored the 3rd from his shot before the Gray goal, he would have been sanctified (if he hasn't been already).

Onion
13-07-2017, 01:29 PM
For me, Stokes by a distance. Unbelievable performance, best player on the pitch by a mile, scored 2, hit the post, ran the Huns' world-beating RB ragged all day and was unplayable.

For all SDG got the winner and played a blinder, Stokes gave the team and fans the belief we could do it. Must have been great for all the Hibs players to play with Stokes on Fire that day :flag:.

Just Alf
13-07-2017, 02:00 PM
The whole club, the team, the management, the squad, the fans and the Hibernian community

BANG ON... I've voted "Other"

:flag:

emerald green
13-07-2017, 02:12 PM
To pick just one individual is impossible for me as it's a team/squad game, and that includes the coaching staff and others too.

Forced to name individuals, I'd go for Conrad Logan, David Gray, and Anthony Stokes. Not necessarily in that order either!

CorrieHibs
13-07-2017, 02:12 PM
Mark Oxley's contact lens played a big part also.

SteveHFC
13-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Robbie Neilson. He played a huge part.

makaveli1875
13-07-2017, 02:56 PM
The biggest legend is without a doubt Conrad Logan , he was twice the size of any of the others :greengrin

i voted stokes though

Killiehibbie
13-07-2017, 05:40 PM
If talking about the final it has to be Stokes with everybody else playing their part. If it's the whole run too many to mention right down to every one of us.

ancient hibee
13-07-2017, 05:45 PM
I voted other-the Rangers team that knocked out Celtic and increased dramatically our chance of winning.

green day
13-07-2017, 05:49 PM
I have said "other" because I think it was us, the fans.

I couldnt get on the pitch as I was with my dad who was seriously ill (but still made the final, ya dancer) and was so jealous of all that post match exuberance !

Also, the enormous parade on Sunday (outside the Harp was amazing) legendary stuff by us which will live with me forever.

What a weekend !!

One Day
13-07-2017, 06:45 PM
It just has to be Sir David Gray

Northernhibee
13-07-2017, 06:52 PM
Chris Dagnall.

Wheat Hound
13-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Sdg

jacomo
13-07-2017, 07:13 PM
Me. I said we'd win and we did.

You're welcome.

Eyrie
13-07-2017, 07:43 PM
I voted for Gray because his goal is so iconic. That said, Stokes was man of the match by a mile and I think he finished with more attempts on goal than the whole Sevco team.

PS: Respectfully, what about Warburton?

147lothian
13-07-2017, 09:24 PM
It wasn't easy for me with so many outstanding candidates but I voted for Stokes, because of his two goals at Inverness and on the big day he played like a man possessed

hibsbollah
13-07-2017, 09:44 PM
No Conrad Logan, no final. It was the most extraordinary performance I've ever seen from any goalie, far less one that looked like he could lose 3 stone and still be on the big side.

A legend among legends.

Sir David Gray
13-07-2017, 09:49 PM
Sir David
Stokes
Logan
Henderson
Stubbs

In that order

FranckSuzy
13-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Steven McLean. Some '50/50' decisions went our way - for a change - and the rest is history :not worth:thumbsup:

Joking aside, Sir David Gray 100% :agree::flag:

SirDavidsNapper
13-07-2017, 11:13 PM
Gray without a shadow of a doubt. His header is the most iconic Hibs goal of all time and will be spoken about and watched for generations to come. But let's be honest, each and every one of them are legends.

pacorosssco
14-07-2017, 12:20 AM
11 players that started plus subs won on day. All involved to get Hibs there equally played part. I thank them all and management coaches.

Dashing Bob S
14-07-2017, 02:03 AM
I'm surprised by the omission of SJM. He dragged us back into the game at 1-2.

Haymaker
14-07-2017, 02:04 AM
Me. Purely on how much beer I drank.

Col2
14-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Stokes. A double in crucial away game against ICT in quarters only 4 days after devastating cup final defeat to Ross County.

And then....

The single greatest performance by a Hibs player I have ever seen given the biggest stage with the biggest amount at stake. He scored 2, was involved in the lead up to the winner and could have scored 4 or 5 that day. Absolutely terrorised the Rangers defence that day. Unplayable.

snooky
14-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Steven McLean. Some '50/50' decisions went our way - for a change - and the rest is history :not worth:thumbsup:

Joking aside, Sir David Gray 100% :agree::flag:

This is a very good point. How many other teams would have won the cup in the past had it not been for years and years of refereeing bias?
For once - and I do mean once - we had a neutral ref against the OF. What a refreshing change and not surprisingly a different outcome as a result.

where'stheslope
14-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Voted Leeann, if not for her, where would we be now?????

Hibernia&Alba
14-07-2017, 08:40 PM
I vote the Hibs supporters, including all those who didn't live to see the great day. By God, we deserved our turn!

Craigmount Hibs
14-07-2017, 10:21 PM
I couldn't vote (might be because of an evening of beer). But every puddle drinking knuckle dragging child bothering poppy thief I know is aware that Sir David of Gray is the answer. Their utter ineptness earlier simply helped us on the way.

hibby6270
15-07-2017, 08:17 AM
I've gone for "Other, please specify" and here's why.

If you only go by the day itself, there are 4 key players, for varying reasons that could be given the title of 'legend'.

The obvious ones, and equal in my opinion are Stokes and Gray.

Stokes for his all round contribution and of course his 2 goals.

Gray because of his never say die attitude. Injured in the final 5 minutes but dusted himself off and scored THAT 92nd minute glory, glory winning goal.

The other 2 are Henderson and, wait for it - The much maligned (on here at any rate) - Fyvie.

Henderson of course for his "delivery" of the corners.

Fyvie. Why? Well, watched the highlights again the other night and his intelligent play leading up to the 2nd & 3rd goals goes a massive way to the outcome. Watch them again if you don't believe me.
Firstly,, his run forward and allowing Wilson to nick it out for the first corner. Lucky or good play? You decide but I go for the latter.
Secondly, showing for the ball from Gray's throw in by running in to the space, showed desire. This was followed by a very clever delay in releasing his pass to Stokes. That gave Stokes time and space to run at Tavernier (again!!), then fire the shot saved by Foderingham to concede THAT corner, that led to THAT goal.

Is It On....
15-07-2017, 08:23 AM
Terry Butcher started the chain of events that led to 21.5.16. An unsung hero.

Losing a goal in the last minute takes a way the fear of losing a goal in the last minute!!

lord bunberry
15-07-2017, 08:46 AM
That's like having to pick a favourite among your children.