PDA

View Full Version : NHC Your Golden Age of Football?

Pretty Boy
12-07-2017, 07:51 PM
Away from the stresses of Hibs transfer dealings for a bit.

There's a page on Facebook called '90s Football'. As the name suggests it's a homage to football from the 90s and features highlights, news clippings and so on from games from around the world.

It got me feeling nostalgic and thinking that, for me personally, the 90s was my golden age of football. I was still young enough in the early part of the decade to pretend to be my favourite players when playing. Watching highlights of the 90s World Cups brings about rose tinted memories of hot summers days, great games watched with friends (15 minute kick about in the garden during half time), games watched on holidays and heroes worshipped. I remember my spot behind the goals at ER watching Keith Wright, Mickey Weir and Darren Jackson, being excited at getting a seat in the fancy new stand when the FF was built and being at Tynecastle to see Gordon Hunter end THAT run.

More than that watching it back, whilst it has obviously dated, it still looks relatively modern in a way that the 50s, 60s and 70s never will for me because I never experienced them. There was plenty football on TV as Sky got involved, Channel 4 showed Serie A and Sportscene and Scotsport were going strong but there didn't seem to be the complete saturation there is now. A World Cup was still a time to see exotic players you didn't see every week and the all new Champions League still had a 'foreigners rule'. Great memories of great players and great games.

So what is your golden age of football? is it like anything else and our feelings are shaped by our memories naturals filters?

Smartie
12-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Same time for me.

Scottish football was (relatively speaking) better and Hibs had some great players, the ones you mention. The early 90s did bring about a feel-good time for Hibs - we weathered the Mercer business, won the Skol Cup and for a couple of years we played some outstanding stuff under Alex Miller.

It may have been on the 90s football page but there was a clip doing the rounds that had the nominees for Serie A goal of the season from about 1991 or so. This was a collection of some of the most outrageous pieces of skill you will ever see, every one an absolute cracker. The Italian football on a Sunday was the first taste of regularly watching foreign football that I'd had, and it was at a time when Italian football was probably the best in Europe.

It was a great, really exciting time to be a young and enthusiastic football fan on a number of levels. We do seem to be at saturation point now, and I could understand why youngsters might not catch the bug in the same way we did.

ruthven_raiders
12-07-2017, 08:21 PM
70s for me, 1974 world cup in colour, Turnbulls Tornadoes, European football against Liverpool, Hadjuk Split,lost my program on the bus, Juventus, beating Hearts regularly, being 3-0 up against them in first 30mins. Crowds of 35000.....going with my dad....great memories. Now I'm recreating them with my 12 year old son and 7 year old daughter......😊

Tom Hart RIP
12-07-2017, 08:26 PM
The start of the 72/73 season until 1/1/73. Hibs won drybrough cup beating rangers and Celtic. Hammered Sporting Lisbon, won league Cup beating Rangers and Celtic both at Hampden then 7-0 game.
Never seen more entertaining football from any team anywhere. Had to be seen to be believed

Jonnyboy
12-07-2017, 08:29 PM
The start of the 72/73 season until 1/1/73. Hibs won drybrough cup beating rangers and Celtic. Hammered Sporting Lisbon, won league Cup beating Rangers and Celtic both at Hampden then 7-0 game.
Never seen more entertaining football from any team anywhere. Had to be seen to be believed

This plus 21/05/16 of course :greengrin

Golden Bear
12-07-2017, 08:36 PM

Totally agree. It wasn't a question of "will we win today?" but more a question of "how many goals will we win by?" We played football from the gods in that wonderful era.

lyonhibs
12-07-2017, 08:39 PM
The 90's up to and including WC98 for me without a doubt. 90's Serie A pre mass SKY coverage had an allure of mystery and frankly sexiness that the Premiership never has had, for me at least.

Scottish football was in a better nick, Keith Wright, Mickey Weir, Leighton, Willie Miller then latterly Yogi Hughes and Shaun Dennis.

Ahhhh take me back*

*Must include a SC Win though, clearly.

superfurryhibby
12-07-2017, 08:44 PM

I moved to Elbe St, Leith in the summer of 1972. I went all the cup winners cup home games, watching Hibs beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, FC Besa 7-1 and Hadjuk Spilt 4-2. I also remember the 8-1 game v Ayr Utd very well. Winnng the Dryburgh and League Cups, after the horror of the 1-6 final, it seemed like Hibs were playing like footballing gods.

There are impressions of those times etched into my memory. The steepness ofthe climb up to the terrace, meeting my Grandad and Uncle, the smell of cigars and the beauty of what was on the field. Stanton was majestic, Gordon refined and deadly, Blackley and Brownlie oozing class.

Going top of the League and beating Hearts 0-7 was the pinnacle of those days and I was only aged 8. Sadly my first Derby was the 4-1 game of the next season. Even the Evening News was barri,, with the sport well covered by Stewart Brown and the wonderful cartoons from Gilzean.

Sadly my Dad , Grandad and Elbe St have all long since gone but I'll never forget those days, we had a magnificent team and it was a short lived but truly golden era in our history.

Lago
12-07-2017, 08:50 PM
70s for me, 1974 world cup in colour, Turnbulls Tornadoes, European football against Liverpool, Hadjuk Split,lost my program on the bus, Juventus, beating Hearts regularly, being 3-0 up against them in first 30mins. Crowds of 35000.....going with my dad....great memories. Now I'm recreating them with my 12 year old son and 7 year old daughter......😊
Me too.:aok:

Lago
12-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I moved to Elbe St, Leith in the summer of 1972. I went all the cup winners cup home games, watching Hibs beat Sporting Lisbon 6-1, FC Besa 7-1 and Hadjuk Spilt 4-2. I also remember the 8-1 game v Ayr Utd very well. Winnng the Dryburgh and League Cups, after the horror of the 1-6 final, it seemed like Hibs were playing like footballing gods.

There are impressions of those times etched into my memory. The steepness ofthe climb up to the terrace, meeting my Grandad and Uncle, the smell of cigars and the beauty of what was on the field. Stanton was majestic, Gordon refined and deadly, Blackley and Brownlie oozing class.

Going top of the League and beating Hearts 0-7 was the pinnacle of those days and I was only aged 8. Sadly my first Derby was the 4-1 game of the next season. Even the Evening News was barri,, with the sport well covered by Stewart Brown and the wonderful cartoons from Gilzean.

Sadly my Dad , Grandad and Elbe St have all long since gone but I'll never forget those days, we had a magnificent team and it was a short lived but truly golden era in our history.
Terrific post, well done.

Northernhibee
12-07-2017, 08:55 PM
We're going to look back on the last two years incredibly fondly in years to come. Good talented footballers, silverware and history made.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 08:59 PM
The early to mid 90s for me. Winning the cup in 91 and the unforgettable scenes that followed. Nothing will ever top the parade of the Scottish cup, but as parades go 91 was absolutely unbelievable. I remember being at the bottom of the bridges when the bus came down and it was sheer unbridled joy and happiness. I doubt I'll ever witness anything like I did that day. We were so close to extinction and we came back like the absolute heroes that team were.
After that I remember watching us home and away in the standing era when the ccs were in their prime. I was too young for all that stuff, but the away games were ****ing magic in those days.
In all honesty though the best season I've ever had watching hibs was the year we spent in the first division in 99. We absolutely ripped that league apart and had huge raucassvaway crowds at every away game. Falkirk being the best. Anyone who was under the roof in the terracing for the first game will know what I mean, madness.

Scouse Hibee
12-07-2017, 09:48 PM
80's for me tremendous as a young teenage red.

AZhibee
12-07-2017, 10:19 PM
82 and 86 world cup. Watched on Mexican television.

Steve-O
12-07-2017, 11:33 PM
1988 - 2002 probably in Hibs terms. Since then a mixture of me being out of the country and garbage Hibs teams have ensured that 2003 - present hasn't really been a golden age!

I've also pretty much given up on English/European football compared to the 90s/early 2000s when I watched it very regularly and knew squads etc inside out!

connerg
12-07-2017, 11:46 PM
Not a golden age of football for Hibs but i do remember in 1983, when i was 14, going to Tannadice and drawing 3-3. DUFC were a good team then.

The following week we played Kilmarnock at ER and beat them 8-1.

Haymaker
12-07-2017, 11:56 PM
94-2006 I reckon. Between 9-21. Caught the end of the Bebeto/Romario/Baggio era, the rise of Ronaldo and Zidane, Maldini and Costacurta, Henry, Salas, Batigol, Shevchenko and Inzaghi etc.

Forza Fred
13-07-2017, 12:10 AM
Turnbull's Tornadoes period of early 70,s.

I'm lucky enough to have been at the 7-0 derby, and also various European nights from a bit earlier including the 5-0 victory over Napoli and our game against Real Madrid.

On the down side, the 6-1 defeat by Celtic in the cup final was hard to take.

Overall though the Turbull Tornadoes period sticks out....going to watch that side we ALWAYS expected to win, home or away, regardless of opposition.

esjorto
13-07-2017, 12:41 AM
Started watching football , mainly Hibernian, in 1950 aged eleven . For the next 15 years this all happened.

Very exciting times in Scotland.

League Champion Winners
Hibernian
Celtic
Rangers
Hearts
Aberdeen
Dundee
Kilmarnock

Scottish Cup Winners
Celtic
Motherwell
Rangers
Clyde
St.Mirren
Rangers
Dunfermline

League Cup Winners
Dundee
East Fife
Hearts
Rangers
Celtic

For Hibs the Famous Five of course:not worth
the great Joe Baker:not worth
the wonderful Willie Hamilton
the underrated Bobby Combe, Tommy Younger, Jock Govan, Davie Shaw, Johnny MacLeod.
For Sland
Baxter, Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Davie Mackay

Worlds greatest ever club side - Real Madrid (Puskas etc)....?

Greatest ever National Team - Brazil (Pele et al)....?

Haymaker
13-07-2017, 02:52 AM
Started watching football , mainly Hibernian, in 1950 aged eleven . For the next 15 years this all happened.

Very exciting times in Scotland.

League Champion Winners
Hibernian
Celtic
Rangers
Hearts
Aberdeen
Dundee
Kilmarnock

Scottish Cup Winners
Celtic
Motherwell
Rangers
Clyde
St.Mirren
Rangers
Dunfermline

League Cup Winners
Dundee
East Fife
Hearts
Rangers
Celtic

For Hibs the Famous Five of course:not worth
the great Joe Baker:not worth
the wonderful Willie Hamilton
the underrated Bobby Combe, Tommy Younger, Jock Govan, Davie Shaw, Johnny MacLeod.
For Sland
Baxter, Law, Jimmy Johnstone, Davie Mackay

Worlds greatest ever club side - Real Madrid (Puskas etc)....?

Greatest ever National Team - Brazil (Pele et al)....?

Show off. :greengrin

Yorkshire HFC
13-07-2017, 03:18 AM
So what is your golden age of football? is it like anything else and our feelings are shaped by our memories naturals filters?[/QUOTE]

I started going with my dad at the back end of the Turnbull Tornados days and then started going on my own with my mates in the black era of managers - Ormond, Auld, Stanton, Blackley - the massive, usually pretty empty terracing, Rough, McLeod, Higgins, Gary Murray, but my golden age was the Miller years.

Going home and away and seeing Jackson, Weir, Kane, Hunter, Durie, Goram, May, Leighton etc. - some great teams but better memories - great games at Easter Road and away - even though I must have been at 80% of the winless run against Hearts, I was there when we finally beat them - the joy is greater when you've known the pain, as you all know.

Everything seemed easier back then - no need to buy tickets, just get the No.1 bus from my folks house with my neighbour at 1.30 - walk up to the ground and watch the game - home by 5.30. And the highlights of all the games were on tv at night and on Sunday tea time - I used to know all the players from all the teams.

I was at college in Aberdeen for 4 years - I remember that I saw 8 games there - 7 defeats and a 2 - 2 draw when we were 2 - 0 up at one stage - that's when Aberdeen were good.

great memories - and that's why I will always be a Hibs fan - even if I only go to 1 - 2 games a season nowadays.

snooky
13-07-2017, 04:18 AM

Agree 100%.
I also loved watching the Netherlands with Cruyff, Neeskins, et all, and add Keegan's Newcastle side. Oddly enough both never quite won the big prize however, they will be remembered by me as the best teams in a footballing sense.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Agree with the first two posts about the 90s - that was my era, i used to play fitba almost every night, buy strips with my paper money etc. Bizarrely, i even remember playing at the astro the nigt england played germany in euro 96, getting home and watching the highlights without knowing the score. Playong was more important than watching!

From a hibs point of view, id say the mowbray / collins years. My early mid 20s, i went to more away games than i ever have, and thinking about hibs dominated my thoughts more than ever before or since. There was an excitement and intensity i haven't felt before or since. Great times.

HIBERNIAN-0762
13-07-2017, 07:14 AM
For me personally it was around 68 to 78 and then......:rolleyes:

Earlydelivery
13-07-2017, 07:23 AM
The early 70s for me , what a team in full flow , expected to beat everybody whom we played , except Celtic . Best game for me , easy . Sporting Lisbon game .

PeeJay
13-07-2017, 07:43 AM
70 s for me - great Hibs teams - 3:00 Saturday and 7:30 Wednesday KOs and very little television - if you wanted to see good football you had to be there - too much tv interference in the game now ...

Bostonhibby
13-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Same here, never missed a home game and got to away games when you could get someone to take you or scrounge up the cash from somewhere, didn't miss many games between then and the early eighties. Really did go along expecting to win in 72/73 and usually did but were always entertained.

Special mention to that wee period during and post Mercers efforts to take us over with someone else's money. The cup win by the team that wouldn't die brought a lump to my throat then and Alex Miller gets all the credit from me for keeping that run going all the way to the final.

leithsansiro
13-07-2017, 08:25 AM
Away from the stresses of Hibs transfer dealings for a bit.

There's a page on Facebook called '90s Football'. As the name suggests it's a homage to football from the 90s and features highlights, news clippings and so on from games from around the world.

It got me feeling nostalgic and thinking that, for me personally, the 90s was my golden age of football. I was still young enough in the early part of the decade to pretend to be my favourite players when playing. Watching highlights of the 90s World Cups brings about rose tinted memories of hot summers days, great games watched with friends (15 minute kick about in the garden during half time), games watched on holidays and heroes worshipped. I remember my spot behind the goals at ER watching Keith Wright, Mickey Weir and Darren Jackson, being excited at getting a seat in the fancy new stand when the FF was built and being at Tynecastle to see Gordon Hunter end THAT run.

More than that watching it back, whilst it has obviously dated, it still looks relatively modern in a way that the 50s, 60s and 70s never will for me because I never experienced them. There was plenty football on TV as Sky got involved, Channel 4 showed Serie A and Sportscene and Scotsport were going strong but there didn't seem to be the complete saturation there is now. A World Cup was still a time to see exotic players you didn't see every week and the all new Champions League still had a 'foreigners rule'. Great memories of great players and great games.

So what is your golden age of football? is it like anything else and our feelings are shaped by our memories naturals filters?

This is pretty much exactly my thought too. The early-mid 1990s were great, a time when football wasn't overexposed but there was good opportunities to see great players. I still remember the excitement about Channel 4s coverage of the Italian football, and in my mind it was the most glamourous league anywhere. The Milan side of that period, with Van Basten and Papin were simply amazing. Actually, there's a brilliant article on this months FourFourTwo magazine about that very thing, it's a great read for nostalgia. I recently parted with more cash than I probably shouldve for a retro 1990s Milan shirt to wear playing 5s.

Plus, that period had genuinely interesting European competition. The variety of teams seemed exciting and interesting, and the European Cup was actually a proper tournament, rather than an overinflated money grab.

Sadly, those days are never coming back.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-07-2017, 08:32 AM
This is pretty much exactly my thought too. The early-mid 1990s were great, a time when football wasn't overexposed but there was good opportunities to see great players. I still remember the excitement about Channel 4s coverage of the Italian football, and in my mind it was the most glamourous league anywhere. The Milan side of that period, with Van Basten and Papin were simply amazing. Actually, there's a brilliant article on this months FourFourTwo magazine about that very thing, it's a great read for nostalgia. I recently parted with more cash than I probably shouldve for a retro 1990s Milan shirt to wear playing 5s.

Plus, that period had genuinely interesting European competition. The variety of teams seemed exciting and interesting, and the European Cup was actually a proper tournament, rather than an overinflated money grab.

Remember fhe excitement of the early champions league, it was amazing. I still habe the milan away top from 94 (i think) and you got the italian shield and the european cup to sew on to the sleeves (i never did).

I also can still remember a milan vs ifk gothernburg match from early champions league, where milan won 4-0 and i think van basten scored a hattrick.

Its hatd to know if that excitement and nostalgia was because of ghe age i was at (early teens) or whether it genuinely was that exciting.

The gazeta theme tune still brings a smile to my face now. I remember my geography teacher telling me i watched it too much because i knew where all the italian cities were in italy!

Pretty Boy
13-07-2017, 08:50 AM

It's funny but whenver I think of football in the 90s it's always Milan that springs to mind. Italian football, and Milan in particular, just seemed so glamorous. I remember thinking James Richardson had the best job in the world. Rossi, Maldini, Baresi, Costcurta, Albertini, Desailly, Donadoni, Gullit, Van Basten, Papin. It was like a who's who of talent.

For some reason what really stands out for me was the 98/99 season and the last day. Roma had led the league for much of the season but Milan came on strong late on and won it on the last day. the commentator finished the broadcast on Channel 4 with the line 'And the team of the 90s has won the last Scudetto of the 90s'. One of those simple pieces of commentary that just gets it spot on.

Smartie
13-07-2017, 09:37 AM
I just found the clip I was talking about on Youtube.

Football porn for all of you who enjoy a spectacular volley.

Interesting to see some fantastic goals by players who have gone on to become very well-known managers too.

https://youtu.be/xTMY72Lj2Ic

Mick O'Rourke
13-07-2017, 09:45 AM
For me.
The mid/ late 60s ,early 70s in regards to Hibernian.
I "saw" the Famous Five, but i was so young,i don't remember (if any)much of that.

Back to the 70s
The World Cup Finals in that decade were absolutely fabulous, so it's the 70s for me.
A golden era,indeed.

Hillsidehibby
13-07-2017, 09:51 AM
The 70's for me. I suppose it's whatever era you were a boy and started to get into it. The 1970 World Cup and that Brazil team. George Best, Johan Cruyff,Scotland qualifying for the 1974 World Cup. Turnbull's Tornados. Hardly any football on tv probably made it all the more exciting and mystical. I could go on but feel privileged to have experienced it.

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-07-2017, 10:32 AM
For me it's probably the mid to late 90s. In terms of Hibs, not a lot of excitement tbh. Coming in at the tail end of Alex Miller's time and watching guys like Shaun Dennis, Darren Dods although on the other hand we had players like keef keef, Yogi, Michael O Neil and Pat Mcginlay all who had talent.

Outstanding memories for me are probably when we scored from the half way line two games in a row I think? Mcginlay and Charnley against Killie and ? Being 2 or 3 goals up against Rangers RIP and gazza tearing us to pieces. I remember being at East End Park and seeing Willie Miller getting sent off for catching the ball before it went out of play and being at the game against Stranraer on the opening day and getting beat in the first division.

I think when I'm older from a hibs perspective I'll look back on the years 2014- with greater fondness.

Football overall I can vaguely remember euro 96 and the Scotland England game along with the final itself. France 98 was probably my first real tournament. Days bunged off school (thanks mum) with a greggs special watching Scotland vs Brazil and the opening ceremony. Watching ZZ in awe that whole tournament then again at euro 2000. Been blessed to see many great players over the years but ZZ is my all time favourite probably on the basis that I grew up watching him.

Man utd winning the treble was an amazing spectacle as well.

Great thread this and some amazing stories that are lovely to read particularly from the older generation and the stories from 60s/70s

wpj
13-07-2017, 11:13 AM

I started going with my dad at the back end of the Turnbull Tornados days and then started going on my own with my mates in the black era of managers - Ormond, Auld, Stanton, Blackley - the massive, usually pretty empty terracing, Rough, McLeod, Higgins, Gary Murray, but my golden age was the Miller years.

Going home and away and seeing Jackson, Weir, Kane, Hunter, Durie, Goram, May, Leighton etc. - some great teams but better memories - great games at Easter Road and away - even though I must have been at 80% of the winless run against Hearts, I was there when we finally beat them - the joy is greater when you've known the pain, as you all know.

Everything seemed easier back then - no need to buy tickets, just get the No.1 bus from my folks house with my neighbour at 1.30 - walk up to the ground and watch the game - home by 5.30. And the highlights of all the games were on tv at night and on Sunday tea time - I used to know all the players from all the teams.

I was at college in Aberdeen for 4 years - I remember that I saw 8 games there - 7 defeats and a 2 - 2 draw when we were 2 - 0 up at one stage - that's when Aberdeen were good.

great memories - and that's why I will always be a Hibs fan - even if I only go to 1 - 2 games a season nowadays.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same with me. Remember travelling home and away for almost the entire season. Moved away in 92 but never lost my love for Hibs

ancient hibee
13-07-2017, 05:48 PM
For me 1953 to 1973.Then mostly mediocrity until May 2016.

where'stheslope
13-07-2017, 06:09 PM
For me real colour of football was in the 60's, trudging down grey murky streets in the middle of winter, until you came upon a football stadium with the floodlights on, wow it was like watching "The Wizard of Oz" on the big screen, going from black and white to bright technicolour, then after the game it was back to black and white as we made our way home again!!!

Those days it mattered not what the score was as you just escaped the drudgery of life for a few hours, supporting your team was everything and there was a lot of big crowds back then.

barcahibs
13-07-2017, 08:06 PM
Mid 90s to early 2000s.

I've come to realise over the last year or so that I actually don't give a monkey's about football. I love Hibs, I'll be a Hibbie til I die - most folk who meet me would say being a Hibs fan is part of what defines me... but outside of Hibs I struggle to be interested in the game.

International football is the most boring, pointless sport on the planet; I'd rather watch paint dry than the Champions League and if Man Utd were playing outside in the street I'd probably call the polis and get them moved on (unless they were playing Hibs of course).

There's a thread further up the board where someone has posted a photo of their kid posing with someone in an airport with the title "look who I bumped into..." (or something similar) I opened it, looked and realised I didn't have a scooby who the (I presume) footballer is, though he was obviously instantly recognisable to everyone else on the thread.

That would have been unthinkable to my 90s self. I used to devour football knowledge, I could have told you the best 11 for all the top league Scottish teams, most of the English ones and a fair few Italian. Now I'd struggle to name a single player from most Scottish teams and I don't even know which teams are in the top English and Italian leagues.

I would never have believed I'd fall out of love with football ...

No sign of the Hibs bug dying though thank Sauzee.

pacorosssco
14-07-2017, 12:44 AM
Was to young but for scotland it must be around 1965-1985. Three european winners at club level and scottish players heavily involved in many english club wins.

connerg
14-07-2017, 01:13 AM
Was to young but for scotland it must be around 1965-1985. Three european winners at club level and scottish players heavily involved in many english club wins.

Only one European Cup winners and that is Celtic. Half that team played for Hibs. Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup, it no longer exist's, been incorporated into the Europa Cup.

A club from Govan won the Cup Winners Cup in the 70's, They no longer exist.

pacorosssco
14-07-2017, 01:40 AM
Only one European Cup winners and that is Celtic. Half that team played for Hibs. Aberdeen won the Cup Winners Cup, it no longer exist's, been incorporated into the Europa Cup.

A club from Govan won the Cup Winners Cup in the 70's, They no longer exist.

So you know a better period? Or u agree?

lyonhibs
14-07-2017, 06:15 AM
It's funny but whenver I think of football in the 90s it's always Milan that springs to mind. Italian football, and Milan in particular, just seemed so glamorous. I remember thinking James Richardson had the best job in the world. Rossi, Maldini, Baresi, Costcurta, Albertini, Desailly, Donadoni, Gullit, Van Basten, Papin. It was like a who's who of talent.

For some reason what really stands out for me was the 98/99 season and the last day. Roma had led the league for much of the season but Milan came on strong late on and won it on the last day. the commentator finished the broadcast on Channel 4 with the line 'And the team of the 90s has won the last Scudetto of the 90s'. One of those simple pieces of commentary that just gets it spot on.

For me, even though they didn't win much, it was the Fiorentina team of the mid 90's in that beautiful Viola strip, sponsored by - I think - Nintendo.

Batistuta, Toldo, Di Livio, Rui Costa et al. Loved them.

Also harbour a lingering man crush on James Richardson. An espresso and Gazzetta della Sport never looked so good.

BSEJVT
14-07-2017, 07:37 AM

100%

That truly was a great time to be a Hibby

My father once said to ne that after seeing the Famous Five nothing else came close, I know how he felt but although (other than 21/05/2016) those were the halcyon days of my Hibs supporting life I have thankfully been able to enjoy lots of other steps on the journey.

It helped that Scotland were a decent team then also.

Geo_1875
14-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Mid 60's to mid 70's. Games on Saturday afternoon and Wednesday night. Highlights and cup finals on tv. Men playing the game on mud and sand with the occasional patch of grass. Tackles that would now bring a lifetime ban being waved on. George Best, Billy Bremner, Denis Law at their peak. And Hibs were pretty decent then as well.