PDA

View Full Version : Feel good factor dwindling

1two
12-07-2017, 06:08 AM
Am I wrong?
We were on a bit of a high at the back of last season.
The general consensus was that we keep our squad and add to it would see us good for the season ahead.
We know from cup games we're capable of competing with the premiership sides.
Even after losing our top scorer the feeling was that with the cash received we could replace him.

We now find ourselves 5 days away from the first game of the competitive season. We've released/sold/lost Fyvie, Cummings, Foster, Harris, Holt, Humphreys, Keatings
We've gained Murray and Swanson
We're lacking up front and don't have a lot in the squad for injuries.

I'm not saying it will take a lot to get that feeling back but it's obvious we're not ready for this and it should have been so different.

Spike Mandela
12-07-2017, 06:17 AM
I'm not saying it will take a lot to get that feeling back but it's obvious we're not ready for this and it should have been so different.

Hibs assemble their squad for Aug 31st but more often than not our season starts in July.

It's the same every year, just the way the transfer window works.

Fuzzywuzzy
12-07-2017, 06:19 AM
We've also gained rocky and efe (although according to the papers he's m.i.a). Fair enough they were on loan but they are important players we've managed to sign

Waxy
12-07-2017, 06:19 AM
We're really still deep in pre season.

1two
12-07-2017, 06:21 AM
Hibs assemble their squad for Aug 31st but more often than not our season starts in July.

It's the same every year, just the way the transfer window works.

And you don't think that's an issue? When our rivals - Aberdeen, Hearts, Huns have all done their business and their squads have a full pre-season under their belts?

Why do we seem incapable of the same?

1two
12-07-2017, 06:23 AM
We've also gained rocky and efe (although according to the papers he's m.i.a). Fair enough they were on loan but they are important players we've managed to sign

I agree but I never listed them as released either. In fact I missed Shinnie who seems to be forgotten about.

Spike Mandela
12-07-2017, 06:23 AM

The OP was very careful to say who we have 'gained' compared to.last season.

1two
12-07-2017, 06:25 AM

First games on Saturday. If we don't progress through this group stage fiasco we'll not be competing in the league cup.

O'Rourke3
12-07-2017, 06:30 AM
Feel good factor dwindling? Maybe. Pants wetting season in full flow? Absolutely. None of the clubs mentioned are finished building this years squad.

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 06:31 AM
Yeah, it feels that way just now.

Fyvie situation is farcical on the face of it. Compounded if they are bringing in a washed up Pennant. Church is about inspiring as Brian Graham was last year.

Lafferty situation was seen as a negative by onlookers even though there's no blame on Hibs part. Never wanted him anyway but he's better than Church training with us.

A few other misses which are perceived to be negatives though no blame on Lennon or Hibs.

Ambrose going awoke

Top scorer away for less than we would have imagined - general consensus anyway.

Positives though - Marciano is a cracker. As is Ambrose if he comes back with the right attitude. Swanson could be massive for us too. Jury out on Murray but positive start and one thing you've got to say is the attitude appears spot on. That goes a long way.

Hopefully good players to come. Whittaker, Henderson, Stokes the more realistic.

It's the forward areas I'm concerned about really - and Lennons ability to sign what we need. Also preferred the young and hungry sell on potential recruitment policy ovet the occasional dip into dads army he seems to have a liking for!

The Spaceman
12-07-2017, 06:32 AM
I watched my team lift the Scottish Cup for the first time in 114 years barely over a year ago and earn promotion a couple of months ago. We have record season ticket holder numbers, our own stadium, our own training complex, minimal debt and still a decent squad at present.

Feel good factor dwindling? Nah. People need to calm down on here!

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 06:34 AM
Awol even - we need him awoke though lol

1two
12-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Feel good factor dwindling? Maybe. Pants wetting season in full flow? Absolutely. None of the clubs mentioned are finished building this years squad.

I hope you're right and it is 'bed wetting'

The difference is, they've seemingly strengthened, we've undoubtedly weakened.

greenlex
12-07-2017, 06:45 AM

How have they seemingly strengthened? Who exactly have they signed versus who they let go? Aberdeen have lost Jack, McGinn and Hayes. Rangers have IMO lost their best player in McKay. Hearts were a mess and haven't replaced anyone with anything to get excited about bar maybe Lafferty. We need to calm down a bit. All clubs aren't finished yet butI reckon we've got less to do than the others.

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 06:46 AM

I think so but really just the forwards

Goalies are sorted
Defence is retained and straightened with Ambrose, hopefully Whittaker
Midfield is almost as strong. Fyvie, Shinnie & Humphrey (his position more so than the little he played) out. Swanson in and rest retained. 1 or 2 more quality signings and we have improved.
Up front - massively weaker. This is where we need to prioritise. Fingers crossed for Stokes. Church isn't for me, unless it's to replace Graham.
Murray,Graham and Church. That's not great.

col02
12-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Imagine it was still Rod Petrie overseeing signings he'd be vilified from pillar to post! Our chief executive has been very quiet this close season. I don't really think it's panic stations as the squad will be added to. Like most I'd obviously have liked the majority of signings in early to help them gel. I know that Hibs will have a strong squad the start of our league campaign.

The Leith Dutch
12-07-2017, 07:03 AM
Am I wrong?
The general consensus was that we keep our squad and add to it would see us good for the season ahead.
Even after losing our top scorer the feeling was that with the cash received we could replace him.

We now find ourselves 5 days away from the first game of the competitive season. We've released/sold/lost Fyvie, Cummings, Foster, Harris, Holt, Humphreys, Keatings

Your list of who we've lost is missing Shinnie but also including 3 that barely played on that list of 7:
Forster, Harris and Humphreys.

Of the rest we have three strikers, a centre mid and an attacking mid.
We've replaced one of the strikers and the attacking mid.
Swanson I think will be an upgrade on Shinnie and Murray is at least as good as Keatings.

So in reality we're 3 players down plus some squad players.

It's also sounding as though 3 of our youngsters - Shaw, Murray and Porteous - are on the cusp of breaking through for squad places.

I'm also beginning to suspect that with some of the budget out on offer (Berry and Whittaker) we've put ourselves behind a little by those deals dragging a little.

If we had a £250,000 offer out for Berry that means we had a chunk of budget that we still haven't spent and probably wouldn't offer while that decision was being made. Same with Whittaker's wage (and this one needs resolved soon one way or another as the presumably sizeable wage we'd pay him isn't much use in the budget - needs to be in a jersey).

As for the feelgood factor - we have a record number of season tickets and we've looked decent enough in pre-season so far.
You'd presume another striker is on the way and we're clearly looking at dropping a lot of cash by our standards on a quality midfielder.

It's not great - I'll give you that - but signing a quality striker would massively alter people's perception of this window.

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 07:07 AM
Your list of who we've lost is missing Shinnie but also including 3 that barely played on that list of 7:

Swanson I think will be an upgrade on Shinnie and Murray is at least as good as Keatings.

It's also sounding as though 3 of our youngsters - Shaw, Murray and Porteous - are on the cusp of breaking through for squad places.

I'm also beginning to suspect that with some of the budget out on offer (Berry and Whittaker) we've put ourselves behind a little by those deals dragging a little.

If we had a £250,000 offer out for Berry that means we had a chunk of budget that we still haven't spent and probably wouldn't offer while that decision was being made. Same with Whittaker's wage (and this one needs resolved soon one way or another as the presumably sizeable wage we'd pay him isn't much use in the budget - needs to be in a jersey).

As for the feelgood factor - we have a record number of season tickets and we've looked decent enough in pre-season so far.
You'd presume another striker is on the way and we're clearly looking at dropping a lot of cash by our standards on a quality midfielder.

It's not great - I'll give you that - but signing a quality striker would massively alter people's perception of this window.

That's all true. Just hope Church isn't the marquee signing Up front and he would be brought in along with another 2

Borderhibbie76
12-07-2017, 07:21 AM

It's not great - I'll give you that - but signing a quality striker would massively alter people's perception of this window.Good summary of where we are at IMO totally agree and your right of we could get a Stokes over the line in the next week or so it would be a huge boost.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Speedway
12-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Since it's the season to post whatever and never justify it, Murray is clearly a superior signing to Lukaku and Hearts must be spewing that they missed out on Kirk Broadfoot.

mjhibby
12-07-2017, 07:25 AM
No chance its dwindling. Only Jason of those that have gone would be seen as being a huge loss if we are being honest although Holt had a very good end to the season. I can't see how having foster,harris,humphreys would help the squad. Keatings flattered a lot but didn't produce enough for me leaving Fyfie who you could make a case for. We've brought in Murray who hopefully is the replacement for Keatings,swanson is a tremendous signing and a better option than Fyfie or shinnie. We tried to sign an attacking midfielder in berry which shows that our manager knows what we lack from last season. Obviously it's the striker area we need to sort but church for Holt I wouldn't be unhappy about but Jasons replacement is the vital one. If we get a stokes type signing im sure a lot of the frustration will disappear but as Lennon says he's not rushing into signings for the sake of it. The feel good factor will not disappear anytime soon for me and I trust we will have a very strong squad come through Partick game. Im sure some people cant wait for us to lose a game so they can hav a huge whinge but that doesnt bother me as I know come the Partick game we will be ready for it then out to the bearpit.

The Leith Dutch
12-07-2017, 07:26 AM
That's all true. Just hope Church isn't the marquee signing Up front and he would be brought in along with another 2

Much as I'll give anyone in a Hibs jersey my full support I really hope you're right that we're not signing Church.
A record of 13 in 121 between 2007 and 2016 prior to joining Aberdeen is surely more concerning than 6 in 13 while with Aberdeen.

A Stokes level signing would really change the mood and I have a feeling we'll see Pennant in based on pitch time and what he's shown in pre-season.

It's also looking like at least some of Shaw, Murray, Porteous and Martin are likely to be on the bench.

On Shaw I genuinely thought he was still at the youthful promise stage and nowhere near first team ready but I'm starting to think I might be massively underestimating the guy. Will be interesting to see.

Forza Fred
12-07-2017, 07:29 AM
And you don't think that's an issue? When our rivals - Aberdeen, Hearts, Huns have all done their business and their squads have a full pre-season under their belts?

Why do we seem incapable of the same?

I don't get it either.

Surely we can ferret about and get players in for the START of the season, which kicks off this coming weekend.

Other clubs do.

Paloschi
12-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Not dwindling for me. The spine of the team is very solid and we have some excellent youngsters coming through. The likes of Rocky, Daz, Paul, Marv and SJM fill me with confidence and we have added good players in Swanson and Murray.

Lennon says we will still add to the squad and I trust him 100%

mjhibby
12-07-2017, 07:31 AM
Good summary of where we are at IMO totally agree and your right of we could get a Stokes over the line in the next week or so it would be a huge boost.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

All the angst or otherwise over transfers is a sideshow once the spl kicks off. Four points out of our first two games and we'll all be happy. Well just about everybody.

Ryan69
12-07-2017, 07:33 AM

Weve completed our preseason fixtures.

Dalianwanda
12-07-2017, 07:36 AM
Wow only been up an hour and this thread already trouncing the 'Positives' thread. Perhaps folk just love a winge.

What ever you look for you will find. From where we have been we are on the up. Why aim to just focus on perceived negatives?

mjhibby
12-07-2017, 07:41 AM
I don't get it either.

Surely we can ferret about and get players in for the START of the season, which kicks off this coming weekend.

Other clubs do.

Aberdeen are much weaker than last season with hayes and mcginn and Jack away and them not replaced with similar quality and hertz have signed three players and released loads. As we've seen with sevco they aren't exactly setting the world alight. None of our rivals are in any better place than us although some seem to think they are. It's over three weeks till the spl starts. I very much doubt we will not have the players we need by then. In many ways the league cup groups are giving a misguided feel to what is still essentially still preseason.

Brightside
12-07-2017, 07:59 AM
I think if peoples feel good factor is dwindling then you must need constant reassurance in life. That dress looks lovely on you. :wink:

Speedway
12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
I think if peoples feel good factor is dwindling then you must need constant reassurance in life. That dress looks lovely on you. :wink:

There's need, there's first need then there's Hibs fans need.

PS - thank you re: the dress.

makaveli1875
12-07-2017, 08:04 AM
when did we have feel good factor , i must have missed that :greengrin

neil7908
12-07-2017, 08:05 AM
Part of the problem is the ridiculous timing of the transfer window.

Our season starts on Saturday but we have until 31st August to bring in players!

Pretty Boy
12-07-2017, 08:13 AM
There's a thread on the Holy Ground board at the moment regarding immigration. One poster makes the point that when people put forward what they see as genuine concerns the debate is immediately stifled because people shout 'racist' or a variation without acknowledging the fact the an individual is expressing what they see as a genuine concern. There's a similarity between that and the painful 'bedwetter' patter that appears on here from the same faces whenever people make a 'negative' observation about Hibs.

I can certainly see why people are frustrated, concerned or similar about our current situation. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest our squad is weaker than the one that finished last season. Obviously we are all hopeful that will change but with the season starting in 3 days I was hopeful we would be further down the road than we are. A lot of the dismissal of concerns seems to be based on a supposition we will definitely bring in the likes of Stokes and Whittaker and they will hit the ground running. We really need to hope that is the case because if Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts etc get a run on us it won't be easy to claw back.

It's a strange situation because 1 or 2 signings could totally change a lot of peoples perception of the window but until they happen there's always going to be doubts and concerns. As it stands we only have 2 faces that weren't available to us last season, we have lost a 20+ goals a season striker (admittedly not unexpected), lost a very good midfielder and have, for whatever reason, failed to agree terms with someone who must have been a key target given the figures quoted. Getting one over the line in the next few days would be nice and would undoubtedly give everyone a much needed lift.

Velma Dinkley
12-07-2017, 08:29 AM
There's a thread on the Holy Ground board at the moment regarding immigration. One poster makes the point that when people put forward what they see as genuine concerns the debate is immediately stifled because people shout 'racist' or a variation without acknowledging the fact the an individual is expressing what they see as a genuine concern. There's a similarity between that and the painful 'bedwetter' patter that appears on here from the same faces whenever people make a 'negative' observation about Hibs.

I can certainly see why people are frustrated, concerned or similar about our current situation. I don't think it's a stretch to suggest our squad is weaker than the one that finished last season. Obviously we are all hopeful that will change but with the season starting in 3 days I was hopeful we would be further down the road than we are. A lot of the dismissal of concerns seems to be based on a supposition we will definitely bring in the likes of Stokes and Whittaker and they will hit the ground running. We really need to hope that is the case because if Rangers, Aberdeen, St Johnstone, Hearts etc get a run on us it won't be easy to claw back.

It's a strange situation because 1 or 2 signings could totally change a lot of peoples perception of the window but until they happen there's always going to be doubts and concerns. As it stands we only have 2 faces that weren't available to us last season, we have lost a 20+ goals a season striker (admittedly not unexpected), lost a very good midfielder and have, for whatever reason, failed to agree terms with someone who must have been a key target given the figures quoted. Getting one over the line in the next few days would be nice and would undoubtedly give everyone a much needed lift.

Repetitive negative comments are pretty tedious when we are clearly in the process of bringing in players and have plenty of time to do so. We could just go and sign some garbage players before we play Montrose, or pay over the odds for a player or two now, or we could take some time bringing in the best players possible on our budget.

jacomo
12-07-2017, 08:35 AM

:agree:

The panickers are calling for their mammies already and the season hasn't started.

Sevco are a shambles, Yams and Dons both still rebuilding after losing key members of their squads.

I am as anxious as anyone that we bolster our squad but let's keep things in perspective eh?

Pretty Boy
12-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Repetitive negative comments are pretty tedious when we are clearly in the process of bringing in players and have plenty of time to do so. We could just go and sign some garbage players before we play Montrose, or pay over the odds for a player or two now, or we could take some time bringing in the best players possible on our budget.

I think I acknowledge quite clearly we are trying to bring in players. I'm also fairly certain we have the ability to beat Montrose with our current squad. What i'd rather avoid though is spending the first 4 or 5 weeks of the league season trying to get players fit and gel a team because they have't had any sort of pre season. Surely that's just common sense as opposed to 'repetitive negativity'?

madhatter
12-07-2017, 08:37 AM
:agree:

The panickers are calling for their mammies already and the season hasn't started.

Sevco are a shambles, Yams and Dons both still rebuilding after losing key members of their squads.

I am as anxious as anyone that we bolster our squad but let's keep things in perspective eh?

We have Simon Church in training with us and have possibly 1 semi-proven goalscorer at the club. Enough reason for a wee panic in my eyes...

Forgot to mention that Efe Ambrose also has went AWOL...

Velma Dinkley
12-07-2017, 08:37 AM
I think I acknowledge quite clearly we are trying to bring in players. I'm also fairly certain we have the ability to beat Montrose with our current squad. What i'd rather avoid though is spending the first 4 or 5 weeks of the league season trying to get players fit and gel a team because they have't had any sort of pre season. Surely that's just common sense as opposed to 'repetitive negativity'?

I think my comments were very clear :greengrin

Brightside
12-07-2017, 08:45 AM
We have Simon Church in training with us and have possibly 1 semi-proven goalscorer at the club. Enough reason for a wee panic in my eyes...

Forgot to mention that Efe Ambrose also has went AWOL...

Simon Church was good enough for Aberdeen last season.

BegbieHSC
12-07-2017, 08:49 AM
Sure we could have had a more successful transfer window by now, but the bed wetting is getting absolutely ridiculous from some on here/twitter.

Pre-season will be over soon - we'll have Stokesy in, along with other decent signings, we'll be back in the Prem, pumping Sevco at Ibrox on the 12th, and we'll be belting out "Here we go, 2 in a row" (in reference to league titles) and it'll be great!

Chill out!

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 09:04 AM
The only thing I'm worried about is how after two seasons where we had the glorious Scottish Cup win, and then a very comfortable win in the Championship - which have led to record season ticket sales - people are suggesting that we are somehow in turmoil, or things are a 'shambles'. It's crazy.

We haven't not signed anyone, we have signed several players - of course there is room for debate on whether we are stronger or not, but the idea that we are somehow in disarray ahead of the new season is preposterous, IMO. We will sign more players, are clearly happy to pay for quality, and are still a full three weeks away from the league campaign starting. I think only Rangers and Hearts have signed more players than us in the SPL anyway.

My concern for this season has always been that when we inevitably hit a bit of bad form, people will turn quickly and very prematurely call for major change. This thread, and the mood on much of the board at the moment, concerns me in that regard.

That said, the actual support that attended ER last year was much more robust and supportive than what you would think if you had only read comments on here throughout the season.

SChibs
12-07-2017, 09:16 AM

Could be argued porteus, Murray, Martin and Shaw could replace forster, Harris and humphrey.

MWHIBBIES
12-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Folk getting the excuses for not turning up in early this season. Suppose parking will be easier.

I always feel good about supporting Hibs.

madhatter
12-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Simon Church was good enough for Aberdeen last season.

Good enough as a back up to Rooney, no?

Waxy
12-07-2017, 09:23 AM
First games on Saturday. If we don't progress through this group stage fiasco we'll not be competing in the league cup.

That is as negative as it gets and unreasonable.

madhatter
12-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Folk getting the excuses for not turning up in early this season. Suppose parking will be easier.

What excuses for not turning up? Are we back on true fan rubbish again?

barcahibs
12-07-2017, 09:27 AM

Yup. It starts. I've heard the board and scouting team haven't been seen in weeks, they started an epic game of hide and seek on the last game of the season and no one is allowed to do anything about signing anyone until its finished. Thats why the news about efe has leaked, he's the last one still to be found.

Meanwhile Rod has burned through all the money from the car park sale lighting his cigars with it and is now busy having the, approximately, £142 million we earned from winning the championship last season converted into papier mache for his mew art class, so no money for signing players anyway. Steven whittaker is refusing to sign a contract because he would rather do a watercolour course.

Club is paralysed by this conflict.

My feel good factor is fine thanks :) i expect it to last about 114 years.

WellingtonHibby
12-07-2017, 09:29 AM
FFS. Some folk are born unhappy

GreenCastle
12-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Am I wrong?

Have you attended any pre-season games ?

If so...views ?

1two
12-07-2017, 09:34 AM

You make the point better than I did.

We're days away from the start of the season with a weaker side than we finished our chamionship season.

It's hardly 'bed wetting' by pointing out that this is less than comfortable.

Mantis Toboggan
12-07-2017, 09:45 AM
The feel good factor on this forum has certainly been dwindling.
The amount of negativity is unbearable and really pretty laughable considering the last two seasons we have had.
It was the same for large parts of last season as well. Some people it seems don't want to be happy or supportive.

R'Albin
12-07-2017, 09:51 AM

:top marks

There seems to be no room on here for nuanced opinion at times. People are entirely within their rights to be slightly concerned given our pre-season has finished and we're probably weakened from a team which, despite winning the championship last season, didn't really look capable of top four which is what we should be aiming for.

And while I enjoy people passing on information that they've heard, I don't think constantly being told that players are going to be signing the next day, only for inevitable disappointment is helping things.

The Modfather
12-07-2017, 09:53 AM

Aye, damn those stay away and part time fans when we only have a piddly record number of season tickets this year...

1two
12-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Have you attended any pre-season games ?

If so...views ?

Only Stevensons testimonial and I felt we competed well.

Did you read any my posts? My main point was, we're weaker than last season and only days away from the start of the new campaign but ignore me, I'm away to hang my bed sheets up.

DTS
12-07-2017, 10:15 AM
I'm bang in the middle. dissapointed at the lack of movement yes, am I worried? Not overly, I think what we have would still see us top 6 and more than enough to handle the league cup games. 2-3 signings by the start of August for the Patrick game and I think the "feel good factor" will be alive and kicking with a near sell out in the home stands for the first game. Us hibs fans are a fickle bunch

Mr White
12-07-2017, 10:16 AM
Only Stevensons testimonial and I felt we competed well.

Did you read any my posts? My main point was, we're weaker than last season and only days away from the start of the new campaign but ignore me, I'm away to hang my bed sheets up.
The last time we played Montrose was 1st August 2015. It's interesting to compare the team that day with the line up that won us the Scottish Cup that season, just 10 months later:

Oxley
Gray Hanlon Fontaine Stevenson
Fyvie Bartley Martin Stanton
Harris Cummings

Subs Reguero S. Allan Sinclair L. Allan Dunsmore Crane Shaw

No McGinn (though he had just signed and was paraded at halftime), Dylan McGeough, Darren McGregor or Liam Henderson. And of course we added players like Logan and Stokes later in the season.

That game was much closer to the end of the transfer window than we are now and while there's no doubt it's good to get business done early it's important we get the best players we can even if it's takes till August to finalise the squad. That's more important than having all our business done in time to demolish Montrose IMHO. I get the frustration but I'm prepared to be patient at this point.

Keith_M
12-07-2017, 10:26 AM
Whittaker and Stokes will be signed before we play Ross County, and we should be OK with the current squad until then.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
12-07-2017, 10:27 AM
Personally, i feel people are mistaking frustration and impatience with concern.

Like evey pre-season, like every fan, i spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about, reading about, imagining signings for Hibs. If we had already signed 6 players, i would still be doing it hoping for a 7th.

That the wheels ate turning slowly frustrates me, in that football-fan-with-the-mentality-of-a-toddler kinda way.

But i am not concerned that we arent putting the work in behind the scenes, dont habe the cash or arent looking in the right places.

Im frustrated that whittaker, stokes and a n other seem to be taking a long time, but i am not concerned as i appreciate these things take time.

Also worth noting that most of our big amd best signings in recent years have come late in the window (mcgeouch, henderson) or after the window (malonga, allan, mcgregor?, fyvie) so lenny is right to say good players become available, or affordable late in the window.

Iain G
12-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Personally, i feel people are mistaking frustration and impatience with concern.

Like evey pre-season, like every fan, i spend an unhealthy amount of time thinking about, reading about, imagining signings for Hibs. If we had already signed 6 players, i would still be doing it hoping for a 7th.

That the wheels ate turning slowly frustrates me, in that football-fan-with-the-mentality-of-a-toddler kinda way.

But i am not concerned that we arent putting the work in behind the scenes, dont habe the cash or arent looking in the right places.

Im frustrated that whittaker, stokes and a n other seem to be taking a long time, but i am not concerned as i appreciate these things take time.

Also worth noting that most of our big amd best signings in recent years have come late in the window (mcgeouch, henderson) or after the window (malonga, allan, mcgregor?, fyvie) so lenny is right to say good players become available, or affordable late in the window.

Remember that we can only loan one player from Celtic this season and there are a few still to choose from, might happen more late on in the window than sooner depending how other moves work out (note this is only a partial tongue in cheek post) :wink:

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't say that the feel good factor is going for me but I am slightly concerned about the lack of a proven striker, not so much for this weekend but for the county game the week after, it would have been good to have any new striker play at least one game with his new team before facing County up in the highlands! Murray looks sharp but going into the first competitive game of the season with Brian Graham as one of the only options up front is a slight concern for me.

I don't normally put too much into what other teams are doing but Aberdeen seem to be trying to replace McGinn and Hayes' goals by signing another proven striker in making offers for May and Moult. I'd like us to be doing something similar (not saying we aren't but it is a bit quiet on the striker front)!! Lennon said last season that we needed another striker with goals in him to help supplement Jason, it never happened & for parts of the season when he wasn't scoring we really struggled! This can't be allowed to happen this season or we are looking at bottom 6, there is plenty time left so not whipping myself up into a frenzy yet but I do worry that we'll do the same as we did in January - focus a lot of energy on getting Stokes and be stuck when it doesn't come off!!

hibbycraig
12-07-2017, 11:03 AM
I think the biggest problem is that some people have unrealistic expectations of who we should be signing and how much money/wages are available. The more negative stuff you read the more your own thoughts will be negative.

Since1875Hibs
12-07-2017, 11:16 AM
The feel good factor has dwindled. For me, due to not having any football on!

Can't wait for the first league game, hopefully close to a sell out, winning the first few games, pumping Sevco at Ipox and sitting towards to top of the table.

Feel good factor is merely on his summer holidays!

GGTTH

J-C
12-07-2017, 11:28 AM
I must admit I thought we'd have nearly all the players we wanted in and training hard ready to go, I knew maybe 1 or 2 might've been later in the window but with the amount of season tickets sold and knowing Cummings was leaving, we probably knew our budgets and who we could or couldn't afford.

To still be needing 4-5 players in the middle of July and the 1st serious game of the season at the weekend does make things a wee bit worrying, obviously we don't know all things happening behind the scenes but things don't feel right somehow.

Why are players either stalling or changing their minds about signing, is it the manager, are they not keen on working with Lennon, remember he's not everyone's cup of tea and he can be a bit of an old school style manager, are wages/ bonuses still a problem?

Lago
12-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Am I wrong?

Totally dwindled for me. But live in hope.

sadtom
12-07-2017, 11:35 AM
I'm not exactly ready to chuck myself of the Forth Bridge but i understand and have a bit of sympathy for the OP.

Whether we think other teams targets/signings are good or not, they seem to know who they want and get them done and bedded into the squad during the preseason with less fuss than we do.
Granted everyone will look to see if 'bargains' appear later in the window but i would hope/expect that a plan/list of targets has been drawn up some time in advance.
I was delighted that we prioritised Efe (though concerned about recent developments) and Rocky and managed to get the deals done.
Equally pleased to target and get Danny S on board, that being a prime example of knowing who you want and getting it done quick sharp.
It would appear that Berry was very much a thought out and researched target but were unable, for whatever reason, to get that one over the line, which is disappointing.
Similar would be SW. I could understand when it was said he was on holiday, also, when it was said that it would happen when his contact at Norwich expired...but another 12 days have passed and still no joy. Similar if Henderson and Stokes are 'priorities', why is it taking so long?
Granted some of the names being banded about, such as Hooper, Griffiths etc seemed like fantasy, but if the club did make moves then fair play.
I appreciate that the club has to stay alert that players may unexpectedly become available.
However the sudden showing of interest in sclafferty when he was talking to hertz was almost like behaving the way they do. It seemed a bit desperate and almost as if we had failed to get the ones we really wanted and that a hint of desperation had taken over...cue Simon Church!
Does anyone really think he would have been on NL's summer wishlist? I may be wrong but i doubt it.

I am a bit concerned that any potential list of thought out, researched and identified targets has been exhausted and that we are now at the stage of 'thinking on our feet'. However if nowt gets done in the next few weeks then the real worry is that we move on to the last stage...taking a punt on any old mug cause we are short of bodies.

I wouldn't say the feelgood factor has gone, there is a lot still to be very positive about, but i do think the lack of developments in the last 3 weeks or so has taken a bit of the wind out our sails.

If we are playing 'brinkmanship' over contracts etc then i only hope it pays of.

Anyway, if Whits, Hendo, Stokes, a goal scoring midfielder and a target man sign this week then we are good to go. :greengrin

Kato
12-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Was about to say exactly that.

Some folk are easily rattled.

flash
12-07-2017, 11:52 AM
Can't see my personal feel good factor ever dwindling after last May but everyones different.

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Could be argued porteus, Murray, Martin and Shaw could replace forster, Harris and humphrey.
I'm in the concerned camp - but you make a good point there

Oscar T Grouch
12-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Personally I feel good about Hibs right now, I am not worried in any way about signings, they will come and they will be decent and will improve the team. I have never felt better about Hibs than I do now. We have one of the best CEO's in the country, we've re-signed the core of the team we've had together for the last few seasons, the squad seem happy and together, all interviews I have watched or read about with players are all positive. Our manager has experience in winning the league we are in and the cups we will compete for this season, he is even experiences in the UCL too. We have a trialist who looks like he is going to sign, who played in a UCLs final, think about that, only 28 players per year can say that and we have one at our club. Having seen how the club operate over the last 3 seasons I see no reason to worry. Even the media seem to be giving us a fair shout atm. I think we will do really well this season, extended cup runs (and why not another win?) and we will place in the top 4 of the Premiership. I can see the yams and the huns struggling a bit, the yams cause of their manager and the huns due to wholesale changes in playing staff. Aberdeen is my main concern this season and I think they will finish above us. All in all, I can understand people having concerns, but have a look at our club and the changes it has gone through in the last three seasons and tell me you don't have faith in the people running it? Hibs are on the up, we have the opportunity to thrive in the coming years and I believe that we will thrive.

And by the way, I've never been the most optimistic person in the world, but I can only react to what I see happening at Hibs.

proud_and_green
12-07-2017, 12:21 PM

It is part and parcel of the 24 hour news and internet age. We expect instant and constant gratification and the absence of it far from being interpreted simply as no news - that is neither positive or negative, as it should be, is seen as being a positive confirmation of a negative!

That perceived positive confirmation of the negative then creates a hysteria which feeds itself and grows arms and legs.

Some folks should stay off the net for a while; their hearts won't take it when something actually happens!

Jim44
12-07-2017, 12:40 PM
The two faces of Hibs.Net :

Which one are you? :greengrin

HoboHarry
12-07-2017, 12:42 PM
It is part and parcel of the 24 hour news and internet age. We expect instant and constant gratification and the absence of it far from being interpreted simply as no news - that is neither positive or negative, as it should be, is seen as being a positive confirmation of a negative!

That perceived positive confirmation of the negative then creates a hysteria which feeds itself and grows arms and legs.

Some folks should stay off the net for a while; their hearts won't take it when something actually happens!
Funny you say that - I was thinking yesterday that I am going to totally avoid this forum next year in the close season. Some of the threads and comments have been mind numbingly stupid and the amount of negativity has been off the charts, or at least it's seemed that way to me.

I wouldn't engage in a political discussion with someone who professed to gleaning his/her knowledge from Wiki, so I'm not going to do it here either with posters who give us their opinions on players who they confess to never having seen play.

Wee Effen Bee
12-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Are some posters continually regurgitating and generally appearing to relish posting negative vibes dressed up as 'honest questions? Aye, definitely. Does it begin to eradicate some of the feel good factor for some? Aye it probably does as every single day more, ' if things don't go the way I think they should I will scweam and scweam until I'm sick,' threads appear. Are there a lot of knobs telling the board and the manager they could do their jobs better despite having no qualifications or experience in the professional football arena? Aye, plenty!
As everyone is reminded daily here, we are all entitled to our opinion. So this is mine. Feel free to slag it off, as is your right, but hopefully it will give Lennon, Dempster et al a wee bit respite from the constant questioning of their abilities.

G B Young
12-07-2017, 01:08 PM
I can understand the sense of frustration, but I think it's partly down to the fact we got a lot of good business done very promptly ie signing Swanson and Murray and securing Ambrose and Rocky on permanent deals. Each of those four signings, I imagine, were among Lennon's priorities (you could tell how keen he was to sign Murray when he was a co-commentator during United's play-off games) and he'll have been pleased to get that business done early. Hopefully things will pick up again very shortly.

NAE NOOKIE
12-07-2017, 01:57 PM
Our League cup group shouldn't hold any fears, even with the squad we have the only real danger is Ross County, who have also lost their top striker as I recall. I certainly wouldn't want to see Hibs rushing into signings just to have a 'full squad' for the start of the LC group stage, though I'm not for a second downplaying the importance of progressing in that competition.

There is a long way to go in the transfer window and the fact that we were prepared to bid 250K for a player surely puts to bed any fears folk might have that Hibs aren't taking things seriously.

I for one am a long way from panicking and if our decent effort against Sunderland is any barometer the teams attitude seems spot on at the moment. Keep the faith as they say :aok:

oldbutdim
12-07-2017, 02:08 PM

There's need, there's first need then there's Hibs fans need.

PS - thank you re: the dress.

It looked OK at first glance, but on consideration it does make your bum look big.

:cool2:

BSEJVT
12-07-2017, 02:25 PM
Citing any feel good factor is simply a pre cursor to a complaint coming down the line.

Its completely irrelevant, we could all be feeling great about our pre-season and our signings and the place would go into meltdown if we started poorly

Modern society seems to need something to greet or fret about and its increasing generation by generation and day by day almost.

Pretty soon folk will be too scared to leave their beds.

Time to show a bit backbone until the season starts and the window ends and we see how the land lies.

I was very critical last year about our transfer business at both windows, but only after they had both closed

I may very well be critical again when this one closes but I am not going to worry myself into a frenzy until it does.

The need for instant gratification for the post baby boomer generation isn't once of society's finest advances.

Calm the **** down.

HoboHarry
12-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Citing any feel good factor is simply a pre cursor to a complaint coming down the line.

Its completely irrelevant, we could all be feeling great about our pre-season and our signings and the place would go into meltdown if we started poorly

Modern society seems to need something to greet or fret about and its increasing generation by generation and day by day almost.

Time to show a bit backbone until the season starts and the window ends and we see how the land lies.

I was very critical last year about our transfer business at both windows, but only after they had both closed

I may very well be critical again when this one closes but I am not going to worry myself into a frenzy until it does.

The need for instant gratification for the post baby boomer generation isn't once of society's finest advances.

Calm the **** down.

I'm not worried about them calming down - as far as I am concerned they can throw hysterical hissy fits until their hearts are content. I just wish they would give the rest of us some peace from the constant negativity.....

Lago
12-07-2017, 02:31 PM

Calm the **** down.
Good post.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Our League cup group shouldn't hold any fears, even with the squad we have the only real danger is Ross County, who have also lost their top striker as I recall. I certainly wouldn't want to see Hibs rushing into signings just to have a 'full squad' for the start of the LC group stage, though I'm not for a second downplaying the importance of progressing in that competition.

There is a long way to go in the transfer window and the fact that we were prepared to bid 250K for a player surely puts to bed any fears folk might have that Hibs aren't taking things seriously.

I for one am a long way from panicking and if our decent effort against Sunderland is any barometer the teams attitude seems spot on at the moment. Keep the faith as they say :aok:

Incidentally, Ross County have only signed three players thus far, a loan midfielder from Celtic, a full back from AFC Wimbledon, and Thomas Mikkelsen, the striker who was on loan at Dundee United last year.

heidtheba
12-07-2017, 02:54 PM
I'm not too worried. We've lost Cummings but I have faith that we'll bring in someone good.
That aside, there's not really much we can say until the first few competitive games have taken place.
We can't really afford to go after proven SPL players. We have some who will criticise us for 'unproven' or 'unknown' players.
I'm glad we didn't go for Lafferty (on many, many levels). We could have sp*&&ed a fortune and got a player for a small fortune but that doesn't always work (Tore Andre Flo anyone?) or we could have spent a pittance and brought in a complete unknown with virtually no provenance (Ivan Sproule?). The thing is, with the money brought in from the Cummings sale we had the spend spend spend, but that would look like we're splashing the cash, thereby putting up everyone's selling price.
The 'Efe situation' - no one knows and, tbh, I'm surprised Lennon spoke to the press the way he did.

proud_and_green
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm not too worried. We've lost Cummings but I have faith that we'll bring in someone good.
That aside, there's not really much we can say until the first few competitive games have taken place.
We can't really afford to go after proven SPL players. We have some who will criticise us for 'unproven' or 'unknown' players.
I'm glad we didn't go for Lafferty (on many, many levels). We could have sp*&&ed a fortune and got a player for a small fortune but that doesn't always work (Tore Andre Flo anyone?) or we could have spent a pittance and brought in a complete unknown with virtually no provenance (Ivan Sproule?). The thing is, with the money brought in from the Cummings sale we had the spend spend spend, but that would look like we're splashing the cash, thereby putting up everyone's selling price.
The 'Efe situation' - no one knows and, tbh, I'm surprised Lennon spoke to the press the way he did.
Pardon my correction 'we have many who will criticise both the proven and un proven, known and unknown'.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Malthibby
12-07-2017, 03:17 PM
'Whoaow! I feel good, I knew that I would now, in a melancholy town where we never smile.'
That cover everyone?
:rolleyes:
I am sooo looking forward to things kicking off this weekend.
GG

Velma Dinkley
12-07-2017, 03:23 PM
I feel sensual.

madhatter
12-07-2017, 03:59 PM
I'm not worried about them calming down - as far as I am concerned they can throw hysterical hissy fits until their hearts are content. I just wish they would give the rest of us some peace from the constant negativity.....

Can they get peace from your positivity? Thing I've learnt in life, when youre an optimist, a realist, a worrier, and a pessimist all look the same, as you have by default the superior position - anyone less positive than you is a "bedwetter" or pessimist. Why do positive people have the right to be happy clappers without critique but people with concern get shot down? Is this "nothing concerns me" attitude a macho man complex or is that just me having a hissy fit over nothing?

Also this is a forum, happy for admins to decide what is allowed and people raising concerns seems legitimate unless unrealistic/insane, surely?

In my eyes, we are all equals, if this is a negative thread why not post something to get us all turning around thinking a bit more positively rather than point at flaws in our ways...we are all Hibs fans...

proud_and_green
12-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Wake me up when tomorrow comes!

Nemo
12-07-2017, 04:08 PM
Feelgood factor dwindling??...Just wait til SJM goes to celtic... oooooftt!!!

it's fine...

...ive already called a taxi thanks (and ma coats on)

barcahibs
12-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Its not so much the fact that somepeople are a bit worried or apprehensive about what's going on - that's fine and it's a reasonable position to have. I'd love us to be a bit further forward in our preparations as well, i can see where that worry is coming from.

But its the relentlessness of it from some posters. The straw for me today was the post on the Cup Final DVD thread that the club shouldnt be making and selling dvds til we've got our squad finalised. To me that's just so ... Nonsensical ... that it has to be challenged. Like the staff responsible for recruiting players have been editing the film and boxing up the discs for the past few weeks?

Thats un-needed negativity that drags the club down.

Then there's those that seem to need a minute by minute update as to what everyone at the club is doing.

There's a psychological development concept called "object permanance" - that is the understanding that objects/events exist/occur even if you can't physically see them.
Most humans start to understand this about age 2... Some of the posts on here imply theres a lot of 18 month old children posting.

I'm fairly sure the recruitment team are hard at work - even though we can't physically monitor them at all times. (Incidentally my boss also suffers from this problem)

And finally there's the insistence that information gained third hand about players is gospel truth. Someone yesterday was telling us that his mate reckoned Simon Church was pish (paraphrasing) and that this totally trumped the opinion of Chris Coleman, Neil Lennon. Etc. Etc.

Maybe his mate is right an Simon Church is pish, I've never seen him, I don't have a clue, but successful professional football managers and coaches don't seem to think he is. I know who's judgement I'm going to give more weight to.

Anyway, I'll get back to happy clapping.

Pretty Boy
12-07-2017, 04:54 PM

Calm the **** down.

The post baby boomer generation needs instant gratification when we can get it because much of our lives is spent dealing with the consequences of the baby boomers **** ups:greengrin

madhatter
12-07-2017, 04:59 PM
Its not so much the fact that somepeople are a bit worried or apprehensive about what's going on - that's fine and it's a reasonable position to have. I'd love us to be a bit further forward in our preparations as well, i can see where that worry is coming from.

But its the relentlessness of it from some posters. The straw for me today was the post on the Cup Final DVD thread that the club shouldnt be making and selling dvds til we've got our squad finalised. To me that's just so ... Nonsensical ... that it has to be challenged. Like the staff responsible for recruiting players have been editing the film and boxing up the discs for the past few weeks?

Thats un-needed negativity that drags the club down.

Then there's those that seem to need a minute by minute update as to what everyone at the club is doing.

There's a psychological development concept called "object permanance" - that is the understanding that objects/events exist/occur even if you can't physically see them.
Most humans start to understand this about age 2... Some of the posts on here imply theres a lot of 18 month old children posting.

I'm fairly sure the recruitment team are hard at work - even though we can't physically monitor them at all times. (Incidentally my boss also suffers from this problem)

And finally there's the insistence that information gained third hand about players is gospel truth. Someone yesterday was telling us that his mate reckoned Simon Church was pish (paraphrasing) and that this totally trumped the opinion of Chris Coleman, Neil Lennon. Etc. Etc.

Maybe his mate is right an Simon Church is pish, I've never seen him, I don't have a clue, but successful professional football managers and coaches don't seem to think he is. I know who's judgement I'm going to give more weight to.

Anyway, I'll get back to happy clapping.

I agree with some of your post but you seem to have (slightly) lumped casual worriers in with those that hijack other threads and, as you put, "drag the club down".

Also are we really at a level to be talking about Object Permanence? If I'm not mistaken that is to do with objects being seen, heard, touched...pretty much using any of our senses to interact with said object. I'm not sure football players being signed is the equivalent to that, at least not directly. The theory was that babies lost interest in objects obscured from their sight believing it had gone out of existence. I think the only worrying going on in this forum that could be applied to that is "Where's Efe?", "we can't see Efe, has he disappeared?". I think fans going "Are we doing anything about signings? It's cutting it quite close to the start of the new season" really doesn't fit this, we know the club is there, we know the staff are working away, doesn't stop us from being expectant.

I get the feeling sometimes that some people on here must be living life horizontally considering how laid back they seem. Certainly no point getting hugely stressed about football but we've had people suggest whole generations are to blame for some of the worrying/concern going on, which is a strange theory because previous generations shape the world for current/future generations so would it not be previous generations to blame for the supposed youngsters' dilemmas on this forum (discriminatory comment as I've seen a range of age groups concerned on here). Now we've got talk of Object Permanence.

Hysteria over Hysteria...

Let it be or start a "Feel good feeling re-ignited/kindled" thread, not sure what harm it is doing? I'd certainly have no bother joining in on a thread with a positive theme. This stuff certainly does not drag the club down though, nothing on a fans forum should have the power to do that.

Nemo
12-07-2017, 05:08 PM
I agree with some of your post but you seem to have (slightly) lumped casual worriers in with those that hijack other threads and, as you put, "drag the club down".

Also are we really at a level to be talking about Object Permanence? If I'm not mistaken that is to do with objects being seen, heard, touched...pretty much using any of our senses to interact with said object. I'm not sure football players being signed is the equivalent to that, at least not directly. The theory was that babies lost interest in objects obscured from their sight believing it had gone out of existence. I think the only worrying going on in this forum that could be applied to that is "Where's Efe?", "we can't see Efe, has he disappeared?". I think fans going "Are we doing anything about signings? It's cutting it quite close to the start of the new season" really doesn't fit this, we know the club is there, we know the staff are working away, doesn't stop us from being expectant.

I get the feeling sometimes that some people on here must be living life horizontally considering how laid back they seem. Certainly no point getting hugely stressed about football but we've had people suggest whole generations are to blame for some of the worrying/concern going on, which is a strange theory because previous generations shape the world for current/future generations so would it not be previous generations to blame for the supposed youngsters' dilemmas on this forum (discriminatory comment as I've seen a range of age groups concerned on here). Now we've got talk of Object Permanence.

Hysteria over Hysteria...

Let it be or start a "Feel good feeling re-ignited/kindled" thread, not sure what harm it is doing? I'd certainly have no bother joining in on a thread with a positive theme. This stuff certainly does not drag the club down though, nothing on a fans forum should have the power to do that.

well thats ma daily reading quota met, thanks chaps :greengrin

Speedway
12-07-2017, 05:11 PM
If you have a good feel, does the good-feel factor increase then negate any loss of feel-good factor?

stantonsboots
12-07-2017, 05:12 PM

Why do we seem incapable of the same?who have Aberdeen and hearts signed? we have signed 4 with at least 3 more coming in?

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 05:13 PM
I feel fabulous

Nemo
12-07-2017, 05:15 PM
If you have a good feel, does the good-feel factor increase then negate any loss of feel-good factor?

ha ha thats right up there with

If joe has 10 sweets and ellie has 3... what time does neighbours start?

barcahibs
12-07-2017, 05:21 PM
well thats ma daily reading quota met, thanks chaps :greengrin

You can tell i was at work when i wrote that ;)

FWIW i don't have a problem with the casual worrier who'd like us to be a bit further foward. I've got a lot of sympathy with that. It's the Private Frasers that appear on the verge of panic crying out we're dooooooommmmed that annoy me.

Again FWIW i wasnt referring to Efe when talking about object permanance - wondering what's happening there is a legitimate concern (though I'm still in the "make sure he's ok before we crucify him" camp).

I'm more meaning those who, because they're not being told, blow by blow, minute by minute, exactly what the recruitment team are doing every day, seem to assume that must mean the club are doing absolutely nothing. They can't see it so it doesn't exist.

proud_and_green
12-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Aye and the post baby boomers are some of the baby boomer **** ups! :-)

Nemo
12-07-2017, 05:25 PM

FWIW i don't have a problem with the casual worrier who'd like us to be a bit further foward. I've got a lot of sympathy with that. It's the Private Frasers that appear on the verge of panic crying out we're dooooooommmmed that annoy me.

Again FWIW i wasnt referring to Efe when talking about object permanance - wondering what's happening there is a legitimate concern (though I'm still in the "make sure he's ok before we crucify him" camp).

I'm more meaning those who, because they're not being told, blow by blow, minute by minute, exactly what the recruitment team are doing every day, seem to assume that must mean the club are doing absolutely nothing. They can't see it so it doesn't exist.

Fair point :agree: i agree

madhatter
12-07-2017, 05:43 PM

No problem with any of that.

I think there are some that think nothing is happening but I think most are probably just thinking not enough is happening, not through effort but through the current situation more than anything else. I'm one of the fans that is concerned about lack of business more from the point of view of how are the club finding it so difficult getting replacements for Holt, Keatings, and Cummings because they were going as far as I'm aware, that was pretty much known. We also only have 4 (possibly 5 if you include Boyle) senior midfielders at the club, one with chronic injury issues, that has me slightly concerned at the moment, but to be honest an injury to McGinn makes me worry regardless of how many players we have! Makes me think - is it lack of funds or is it that we have a list of targets but not sure what would be best...

Efe Ambrose is a genuine concern at the moment.

Real Emerald
12-07-2017, 05:58 PM
No problem with any of that.

I think there are some that think nothing is happening but I think most are probably just thinking not enough is happening, not through effort but through the current situation more than anything else. I'm one of the fans that is concerned about lack of business more from the point of view of how are the club finding it so difficult getting replacements for Holt, Keatings, and Cummings because they were going as far as I'm aware, that was pretty much known. We also only have 4 (possibly 5 if you include Boyle) senior midfielders at the club, one with chronic injury issues, that has me slightly concerned at the moment, but to be honest an injury to McGinn makes me worry regardless of how many players we have! Makes me think - is it lack of funds or is it that we have a list of targets but not sure what would be best...

Efe Ambrose is a genuine concern at the moment.

This what worries me too. The squad is bare at the moment and people saying not to worry because quality is in the pipeline and will sign soon doesn't cut it for me. I worry because I've seen it all before where we have a platform and opportunity to kick on and we've gone backwards instead. We have record ST holders this year and we need a team that keeps that interest going. If we end up with journeymen stumbling to a bottom 6 finish a lot won't be back. So I'll believe the signings when I see them, until then I'm remaining hopeful but still concerned.

mcfly
12-07-2017, 06:02 PM
This what worries me too. The squad is bare at the moment and people saying not to worry because quality is in the pipeline and will sign soon doesn't cut it for me. I worry because I've seen it all before where we have a platform and opportunity to kick on and we've gone backwards instead. We have record ST holders this year and we need a team that keeps that interest going. If we end up with journeymen stumbling to a bottom 6 finish a lot won't be back. So I'll believe the signings when I see them, until then I'm remaining hopeful but still concerned.

I think you are saying what a lot of fans are thinking.

Believe the signings when we see them - the fans have backed the club in record numbers - the board won't risk losing them.

Lennon is aiming for 2nd place - he must have guarantees from the board if he's made those claims.

HappyAsHellas
12-07-2017, 06:17 PM
I am absolutely ecstatic and being carried along on a veritable transport of delight by the magnificent Hibernian Football Club. Anyone who does not enjoy a similar level of enthusiasm for our club should be classed as loathsome vermin fit only for extermination. :greengrin

hibsbollah
12-07-2017, 06:28 PM
I feel fabulous

I've had a cracking day too. Just about to have a glass of wine in the garden sunshine.

However, I'm getting frustrated about the lack of progress in signing attacking players. We have consistently failed to get quality in early enough in the summer. And some of the patter on here about 'bedwetting' if you point this out is tiresome.

I want Mackay Stevens/Stokes/Moult type quality into the squad NOW, so we can hit the ground running when the season starts. I remember the year we shocked everyone by bringing in Liam Miller and Stokes in a double swoop... That's the level of signing we need now. And I don't want to hear 'don't you think the club wants that too? smartersery. Do your jobs.

O'Rourke3
12-07-2017, 06:30 PM

Let me clarify. Pants wetting is what I said and meant ....

Bed Wetting - done at home in private - few people know.
Pants wetting - generally in public and often in front of strangers.

Which situation do you think better describes the mood of many on the forum? :wink:

Sammy7nil
12-07-2017, 06:42 PM
The sheep signings are adding to the dwindling feel good factor

J-C
12-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I think you are saying what a lot of fans are thinking.

Believe the signings when we see them - the fans have backed the club in record numbers - the board won't risk losing them.

Lennon is aiming for 2nd place - he must have guarantees from the board if he's made those claims.

Or Lennon was talking ***** when he said second

BSEJVT
12-07-2017, 06:59 PM
The post baby boomer generation needs instant gratification when we can get it because much of our lives is spent dealing with the consequences of the baby boomers **** ups:greengrin

Cant say that I disagree with that!

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 07:00 PM
I've had a cracking day too. Just about to have a glass of wine in the garden sunshine.

However, I'm getting frustrated about the lack of progress in signing attacking players. We have consistently failed to get quality in early enough in the summer. And some of the patter on here about 'bedwetting' if you point this out is tiresome.

I want Mackay Stevens/Stokes/Moult type quality into the squad NOW, so we can hit the ground running when the season starts. I remember the year we shocked everyone by bringing in Liam Miller and Stokes in a double swoop... That's the level of signing we need now. And I don't want to hear 'don't you think the club wants that too? smartersery. Do your jobs.

I think we will get in players of that calibre. Worth pointing out though that Stokes didn't sign until 21 August, and Liam Miller was an out of the window signing in mid September.

After the ambitious signings we brought in when we were in the Championship for three years, I'm not sure why so many people believe we won't do big business this window.

hibsbollah
12-07-2017, 07:05 PM
I think we will get in players of that calibre. Worth pointing out though that Stokes didn't sign until 21 August, and Liam Miller was an out of the window signing in mid September.

After the ambitious signings we brought in when we were in the Championship for three years, I'm not sure why so many people believe we won't do big business this window.

I hope you're right, and I also hope that if we do succeed in bringing some real quality in, they are ready for Partick Thistle and the hun in less than a month. We should all know by now that the more time players get to know each other's game the better.

mcfly
12-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Fans want people in quickly it's cause we are all impatient.

I see moult won't sign a new deal at Motherwell. Maybe we will test them with an offer?

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 07:09 PM
I hope you're right, and I also hope that if we do succeed in bringing some real quality in, they are ready for Partick Thistle and the hun in less than a month. We should all know by now that the more time players get to know each other's game the better.

I would certainly like them in sooner too, though as has been pointed out by a few posters, some of our better signings in recent years have been later in the window, for whatever reason. John McGinn admitted in a recent interview that he needed serious persuasion to come to ER.

Smartie
12-07-2017, 07:16 PM

Because the last 2 transfer windows were pretty uninspiring and the one before that looked decent on paper but ultimately failed to deliver.

The first 3 transfer windows in the Championship were majestic, and it is the players signed during those windows that give us the solid core of players that give us reason to be optimistic right now.

We had a decade of drivel prior to being relegated. We're starting to get to the point where this window is taking on the familiar complexion of what went on during that period - delays signing players, rumours of us missing out on our preferred choices followed by bulk panic buying of mediocre journeymen.

The last time we lost our front line and failed to adequately replace them we were relegated. The time before that we ended up with Colin Calderwood as manager within months.

That was off the back off years of decline, managerial change, dwindling crowds and unhappy fans.

The club have no reason or excuse if they fail to deliver this summer.

They still have time, but there are enough warning signs there for those of us with memories that go back more than 3 years to be getting a bit jittery.

High-On-Hibs
12-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Not for me. I think Hibs have hardened under Lennon and i've seen no sign of this changing, regardless of who stays, goes or joins the club. I think we're in for a great season.

Hiber-nation
The feel-good factor won't start for me until we sign a quality striker but I can't wait till Saturday.

Stevie Reid
Because the last 2 transfer windows were pretty uninspiring and the one before that looked decent on paper but ultimately failed to deliver.

The first 3 transfer windows in the Championship were majestic, and it is the players signed during those windows that give us the solid core of players that give us reason to be optimistic right now.

We had a decade of drivel prior to being relegated. We're starting to get to the point where this window is taking on the familiar complexion of what went on during that period - delays signing players, rumours of us missing out on our preferred choices followed by bulk panic buying of mediocre journeymen.

The last time we lost our front line and failed to adequately replace them we were relegated. The time before that we ended up with Colin Calderwood as manager within months.

That was off the back off years of decline, managerial change, dwindling crowds and unhappy fans.

They still have time, but there are enough warning signs there for those of us with memories that go back more than 3 years to be getting a bit jittery.

My memory goes back a long way also, and I've been a season ticket holder for that decade and long before, so no reminder required, thank you.

Your Pavlovian response is possibly understandable, though I think very premature. Most of the best players that we signed in those majestic transfer windows were later than where we are now.

Smartie
12-07-2017, 07:31 PM
My memory goes back a long way also, and I've been a season ticket holder for that decade and long before, so no reminder required, thank you.

Your Pavlovian response is possibly understandable, though I think very premature. Most of the best players that we signed in those majestic transfer windows were later than where we are now.

Fair points and I admire your patience.

But how did we start both of those seasons, the ones where we made the good signings? We started slowly, both times we warmed up around October/ November and it was our insipid starts that ultimately cost us the chance to do better than we did. We played some superb stuff in both those seasons, once we got going.

I loved that we won our first 5 games last season. I'm not really used to Hibs starting seasons well.

Our first competitive game is on Saturday, and our first league game is in only a few weeks.

I'd be delighted to see us sign quality late in the window, even if it was at the cost of a poorer start.

But I'm not at all ashamed to appear a bit twitchy right now, even if I'm not in all-out pants-wetting mode just yet.

hibsbollah
12-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Most of the best players that we signed in those majestic transfer windows were later than where we are now.

It doesn't follow that because our better players historically signed later in the window, that is the best strategy. Maybe they would have been even more successful if we'd have got them in earlier?

Getting players in early as you can is always the best policy. Tactically, developing chemistry with your team mates (I can sense a Gary o'connor joke in the pipeline at this point), understanding the system, knowing what your teammate is likely to do in a certain scenario, etc. It's just common sense.

But getting them in is the main thing. I like Boyle, I really do, I think he'll be better this season. Murray, hopeful. But there's a massive hole where Jason was and it's natural to be nervous at this point.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 07:41 PM
Fair points and I admire your patience.

But how did we start both of those seasons, the ones where we made the good signings? We started slowly, both times we warmed up around October/ November and it was our insipid starts that ultimately cost us the chance to do better than we did. We played some superb stuff in both those seasons, once we got going.

I loved that we won our first 5 games last season. I'm not really used to Hibs starting seasons well.

Our first competitive game is on Saturday, and our first league game is in only a few weeks.

I'd be delighted to see us sign quality late in the window, even if it was at the cost of a poorer start.

But I'm not at all ashamed to appear a bit twitchy right now, even if I'm not in all-out pants-wetting mode just yet.

Likewise, your points about how we started those seasons are fair - though if it were a choice between waiting for the likes of McGinn and McGeough, or moving onto (albeit unknown) other targets, I'm glad we decided to wait.

Also, whilst a good start was imperative in those first two seasons in the Championship - and I obviously want us to have a good start -the SPL is a tight league and the top six split always leaves you in with a shout of making some serious gains later in the season as well.

The LC starting so early does create an issue, but we may well be looking at players down south or elsewhere who are not necessarily looking to make a decision based on a season starting in July (all speculation on my part of course). Would be ideal to get them in early, but I'd still rather wait for quality.

Stevie Reid
12-07-2017, 07:44 PM
It doesn't follow that because our better players historically signed later in the window, that is the best strategy. Maybe they would have been even more successful if we'd have got them in earlier?

Getting players in early as you can is always the best policy. Tactically, developing chemistry with your team mates (I can sense a Gary o'connor joke in the pipeline at this point), understanding the system, knowing what your teammate is likely to do in a certain scenario, etc. It's just common sense.

But getting them in is the main thing. I like Boyle, I really do, I think he'll be better this season. Murray, hopeful. But there's a massive hole where Jason was and it's natural to be nervous at this point.

I'm not saying it's the way that it should be done, or that I want it to be done, I'm just saying that history has shown that some very good players have been signed later on in the window (obviously some ***** ones have been too!).

All your points are valid ones. But there are numerous reasons why good players might not be persuaded until later than we would like.

matty_f
12-07-2017, 07:48 PM
One thing I feel good about is that we didn't sign Kyle Lafferty.

Ronniekirk
12-07-2017, 07:49 PM
Not dwindling for me
I would have liked a quality striker in this week as Don't want to holding out for someone and it doesn't materialise . But we are looking at players training with the club ,and as long as we get someone Lennon is happy with from that ,then so be it
If we are in advanced talks with Whittaker ,should he not be Training with us as he will then have to play catch up with fFitness if he does sign

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
12-07-2017, 08:00 PM
One thing I feel good about is that we didn't sign Kyle Lafferty.

Now I think we can all on agree on that. Just the state of his barnet gives me the willies.

WestStandMoaner
12-07-2017, 08:09 PM

I'm trying to keep optimistic but I have to agree with you there is a familiar look about this window and the club need to be aware we cannot accept backward steps. I am trying hard to keep my urge to moan down to a squeak and I am still hopeful Lennon and LD will pull two or three quality players out of the hat. Time is still on our side

AZhibee
12-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I feel fabulous

I feel good as well, need a striker though

Souter96Mac
12-07-2017, 08:19 PM
My hopes are still high, I believe we have enough quality to qualify from the group stages of the cup. I actually only think we need two or three bringing in from being a good side in this league. I think our young talents will play more of a role than we expected to this season as well. I'm really excited to get up to see us on Saturday. My 2nd game of the season after Gateshead vs Motherwell 👍 then off to see some more non league in the following weeks, then Chicago fire! I'm in good spirits 😊

RIP
12-07-2017, 09:00 PM
I must admit that when I bought my first season ticket since 13/14 I thought we would be starting the season with foward players such as Fyvie, Keatings, Holt and Cummings and adding more quality in that area.

Allez Hibs
12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
Yes, club has gone backwards for me this summer. Clearly not planned for the window at all, letting Cummings, Fyvie and Keatings go is a joke without suitable replacements. Let alone the calibre Hibs should be attracting who have signed for Aberdeen and Rangers. Not good enough.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 09:15 PM

I understand all that, but I'm now on the bloody Mary's and I feel even more fabulous than I did before. The barman has really excelled himself and he assures me that everything will be fine.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 09:19 PM
I feel good as well, need a striker though

If I'm being honest I feel a bit tipsy and I could do with going to my bed, but being the trooper that I am ill stay up and talk absolute nonsense on here for a bit. :greengrin

Golden Bear
12-07-2017, 09:19 PM
Yes, club has gone backwards for me this summer. Clearly not planned for the window at all, letting Cummings, Fyvie and Keatings go is a joke without suitable replacements. Let alone the calibre Hibs should be attracting who have signed for Aberdeen and Rangers. Not good enough.

I agree. The apparent lack of forward planning is unforgivable and to be left in our current position a few weeks before the real season starts is simply not professional.

Saturday Boy
12-07-2017, 09:28 PM
At my age, it's only my feel good factor that's not dwindling.

Has this thread set some sort of record for the most words but the least actual/factual content?

madhatter
12-07-2017, 09:36 PM
At my age, it's only my feel good factor that's not dwindling.

Has this thread set some sort of record for the most words but the least actual/factual content?

You come on to a fans forum looking for actual/factual content? Wrong place to look!

Saturday Boy
12-07-2017, 09:37 PM
You come on to a fans forum looking for actual/factual content? Wrong place to look!

True. And I gave up on the word count 😉

cmcd
12-07-2017, 09:49 PM
I agree. The apparent lack of forward planning is unforgivable and to be left in our current position a few weeks before the real season starts is simply not professional.
Too many would be managers on here for me .let's just leave it to the professionals

mjhibby
12-07-2017, 10:07 PM
who have Aberdeen and hearts signed? we have signed 4 with at least 3 more coming in?

Who exactly have they signed that is getting people worked up. Aberdeen have lost three of their best four players in jack,hayes and mcginn and have brought in Tansey,Stewart and gms which by anybodys reckoning makes them much weaker. Hertz have signed berra who is an improvement only because the previous incumbent was a bomb scare,Lafferty whose hardly played any club games in years and other guys who nobody have a clue about. Plus they have lost Patterson and nicholson and will probably lose Walker. Others players who were regulars in their team have gone as the pbs musical chairs transfers continue apace. As for sevco I give you progres. Other teams are not ahead of the game and are weaker than they were last season. Too many people using some loose interpretation of the word strengthening IMHO. Let's see where each team is come the Partick game then we can compare.remember St Johnstone and rangers don't have any games now for over three weeks. I do wonder why people continue to slate our club when bar not getting berry the club are going about their business and the manager has said we will be signing at least four new players. Rant over.

Iain G
12-07-2017, 10:36 PM

This is the rangers whose signings helped them crash out of the Uefa cup to the third best team in Luxembourg?

Aberdeen have a new sugar daddy and have some cash to splash.

We did good business ealry with Swanson, Murray, Efe and Marciano, we will have targets of course and will also bring players in on trial, this is normal, it's also normal not to get some of your targets, hell even Chelsea missed out on Lukaku! You also need to consider some players are only just out of contract or need to negotiate release from current contracts before moving on.

There will be options and of course there was forward planning by Hibs, relax dude, it will happen 😁

NAE NOOKIE
12-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Ye gods mate, you must go through a mattress a week .... its only the 12th of July.

1two
12-07-2017, 10:52 PM
This is the rangers whose signings helped them crash out of the Uefa cup to the third best team in Luxembourg?

We did good business ealry with Swanson, Murray, Efe and Marciano, we will have targets of course and will also bring players in on trial, this is normal, it's also normal not to get some of your targets, hell even Chelsea missed out on Lukaku! You also need to consider some players are only just out of contract or need to negotiate release from current contracts before moving on.

There will be options and of course there was forward planning by Hibs, relax dude, it will happen 😁

Marciano and Efe were hibs players last season so them signing hasn't strengthened us.

We lost Cummings, Fyvie, Holt and keatings (amongst others)
Murray and Swanson whilst being decent signings have not replaced them.

We're currently a weaker side thanlast season and I don't think that can be questioned. We're days away from the new season and I don't think it's a comfortable position to be in.

We will sign players, undoubtedly, but the delay and longer it goes on, the less confidence the fans will have which is a shame given the recent positivity. Look at previous SPL seasons for examples of why that would be the case

Steve-O
12-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Dempster, Petrie and Lennon must go.

snooky
13-07-2017, 04:23 AM
I must admit that when I bought my first season ticket since 13/14 I thought we would be starting the season with foward players such as Fyvie, Keatings, Holt and Cummings and adding more quality in that area.

:agree: Déjà vu all over again.

SirDavidsNapper
13-07-2017, 06:45 AM
Pre season has been shambolic so far. Our sqaud is weaker than the one that finished last season and that is concerning me big time.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Who exactly have they signed that is getting people worked up. Aberdeen have lost three of their best four players in jack,hayes and mcginn and have brought in Tansey,Stewart and gms which by anybodys reckoning makes them much weaker. Hertz have signed berra who is an improvement only because the previous incumbent was a bomb scare,Lafferty whose hardly played any club games in years and other guys who nobody have a clue about. Plus they have lost Patterson and nicholson and will probably lose Walker. Others players who were regulars in their team have gone as the pbs musical chairs transfers continue apace. As for sevco I give you progres. Other teams are not ahead of the game and are weaker than they were last season. Too many people using some loose interpretation of the word strengthening IMHO. Let's see where each team is come the Partick game then we can compare.remember St Johnstone and rangers don't have any games now for over three weeks. I do wonder why people continue to slate our club when bar not getting berry the club are going about their business and the manager has said we will be signing at least four new players. Rant over.

I hear this argument every year, who have herts/sevco/aberdeen/ bought, are they stronger?

I'm only really interested in Hibs, and dont give a toss how other teams have strengthened or not.

I'm sure we will bring in players, but for me it would be nice to have the team up and running at the start of the season, and that starts in 2 days time.

BSEJVT
13-07-2017, 07:00 AM
Pre season has been shambolic so far. Our sqaud is weaker than the one that finished last season and that is concerning me big time.

Sweeping generalisation?

Have you watched them training?

Their pre-season games?

I think folk think that one day it pops in the managers head totally out the blue " ken what I think I will sign Simon Murray today" Off he pops to Tesco and buys a Simon Murray from the Simon Murray shelf and off he trots back to East Mains with Simon Murray

Watch the Extra Time for Heroes DVD when they talk about signing Conrad Logan to gain just a brief insight into how he was identified and think for a second the logistics behind it.

Would I like more signings yes

Would I like bad signings to appease folk like you? No, we have tried the scattergun approach of Fenlon's 11 galacticos and it didn't end well.

We are far from the only club to be interested in signing players that don't materialise. Benitez for one has spoken on this.

Aberdeen have been linked with everyone under the sun and few of those have got over the line. Their need was much worse than ours

The players signed if they are the right ones will be at ER for 2 or 3 seasons or more, not the remaining 6 weeks of the transfer window folk are currently wetting their pants about.

Have a bit faith and patience

SirDavidsNapper
13-07-2017, 07:02 AM
Sweeping generalisation?

Their pre-season games?

I think folk think that one day it pops in the managers head totally out the blue " ken what I think I will sign Simon Murray today" Off he pops to Tesco and buys a Simon Murray from the Simon Murray shelf and off he trots back to East Mains with Simon Murray

Watch the Extra Time for Heroes DVD when they talk about signing Conrad Logan to gain just a brief insight into how he was identified and think for a second the logistics behind it.

Would I like bad signings to appease folk like you? No, we have tried the scattergun approach of Fenlon's 11 galacticos and it didn't end well.

We are far from the only club to be interested in signing players that don't materialise. Benitez for one has spoken on this.

Aberdeen have been linked with everyone under the sun and few of those have got over the line. Their need was much worse than ours

The players signed if they are the right ones will be at ER for 2 or 3 seasons or more, not the remaining 6 weeks of the transfer window folk are currently wetting their pants about.

Do our sqaud isn't weaker than last seasons then?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Iain G
13-07-2017, 07:05 AM
Sweeping generalisation?

Their pre-season games?

This 100%!!
I
The language being used in relation to this is so over the top!!!

mjhibby
13-07-2017, 07:05 AM
I hear this argument every year, who have herts/sevco/aberdeen/ bought, are they stronger?

I'm only really interested in Hibs, and dont give a toss how other teams have strengthened or not.

I'm sure we will bring in players, but for me it would be nice to have the team up and running at the start of the season, and that starts in 2 days time.

I agree there are similarities in to other windows but we are starting from a much stronger Base this time with the best defence and midfield I can remember for years. It's up front we need to sign players and obviously with Jason going that's the key issue. As for our opponents everything I said is very much accurate but the same as you I really am only concerned about hibs but get annoyed when people make sweeping statements about other teams strengthening which have no basis in fact.

mjhibby
13-07-2017, 07:09 AM
Also it points to celtic winning the league by a very wide margin again and with the usual shocking Europe league results doesn't look great for the image of Scottish football elsewhere.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2017, 07:10 AM

I'd say we are weaker at the moment than last season, but we will sign players.

What gets on my thrupennies is folk going on about how Aberdeen or herts are also weaker, so thats ok for us.

Signing players these days does seem harder, and clubs as far down the food chain do have to wait longer to get those they want.

There's 1 problem with this in my opinion, we can wait for someone like Stokes but miss out because someone else will pay more, and then we are left with whats left of the dross and maybe only days or hours to get one of them in?

We are only a couple of good players away from having a very good side, i hope we can get them in.

The Leith Dutch
13-07-2017, 07:13 AM

In all fairness the Pre season has been fine - team has looked decent and got decent results.

We're behind where everyone would like us to be in terms of signings but that's different from a "shambolic" pre-season.
(the only evidence of that would be the Ambrose scenario and we don't know the full reasons behind that).

It has also shown us that Porteous, Murray and Shaw look like they're ready to maybe start playing a part in the first team and may well be good replacements for the players who have left who rarely played (Harris, Humphrey and Forster).

Of the rest we've shipped out:
Shinnie -> Swanson (improvement)
Keatings -> Murray (probably an improvement)

You then have Cummings, Holt and Fyvie.
While not like for like you'd assume Whittaker is a fair replacement for Fyvie.
We also bid good money for a young prospect in England. Didn't come off but it felt planned.

The one we genuinely look like not having a clear plan for is Holt's replacement as the target man / big striker - a role Lennon seems to want an option for. I might be wrong but it strikes me a little as we're seeing what's available there rather than there being a plan.

The only way I'd agree there is reason to doubt the competency of how this is being handled is if we're not planning or are genuinely nowhere with signing a first choice striker. Resolving that one in a positive fashion would change a lot of the perspective.

mjhibby
13-07-2017, 07:16 AM

Aberdeen have lost mcginn,hayes,jack,Pawlett and Taylor and have signed Stewart,Tansey,gms and Maynard,Certainly poorer replacements so one down on last season so hardly splashing the cash.

Souter96Mac
13-07-2017, 07:22 AM
Aberdeen have lost mcginn,hayes,jack,Pawlett and Taylor and have signed Stewart,Tansey,gms and Maynard,Certainly poorer replacements so one down on last season so hardly splashing the cash.
This. Aberdeen had a lot more quality to replace than us. I know we've still to replace Cummings, but forwards will come. I'm impressed with signings so far.

Iain G
13-07-2017, 07:43 AM

GMS would have cost a reasonable fee and his wages will be high and wages for Stewart were know to be high based on Harry Redknapps' comments earlier in the summer.

So they have money to spend on players to keep themselves ahead of teh other teams, McInnes must have known he would get cash to strengthen his squad when he turned down Sunderland.

Spike Mandela
13-07-2017, 07:50 AM

Aberdeen fans seem happy enough via their forum on twitter...

@AberdeenFC Chairman, Directors & Management some rebuilding job almost done �������� We are all quick to moan so....well done & thank you ����

BSEJVT
13-07-2017, 08:24 AM

That's not what you said though in the post I was replying to, is it?

seanoheimhin
13-07-2017, 08:40 AM
I have no unique insight into how things have gone this summer, but for the sake of passing comment it feels like one of two things has happened.

Either the club have:

A) planned to have new signings in for the start of the league campaign and failed to do so for whatever reasons
B) they hadn't planned that way at all

Whichever of the two, I feel like it gives fans reason and the right to be disappointed. Not reason to lose the head and write the summer off as some are doing, but certainly a feeling that it could have gone better so far.

Barring a remarkable turn around in the next three weeks I think we're going to go into the Partick game with at best an unsettled squad and no defined first 11 due to new signings, and at worst seriously light up front and arguably in midfield.

Hopefully things will progress and we can put these last couple of months behind us and get behind the team 100%, but we've every right to be dissatisfied with how things have gone this summer so far.

stantonsboots
13-07-2017, 08:46 AM
My thoughts exactly

Stevie Reid
13-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Whilst I get the argument that it's good to get players in for pre-season and the start of the season proper, there are several things to remember. Firstly, we are not in need of a major rebuild here - yes we will need major signings up front to replace Jason and the other strikers that have left, but the idea that any players coming in will not be of use to us unless they have been integrated into the squad for several weeks doesn't stand up for me.

Secondly, everyone who is using the Montrose game as some kind of false deadline for when should have had our business done by is being way over the top. Firstly, without being totally disrespectful, it's a home game against a part time team from the bottom division in Scotland - if the tournament hadn't been revamped, and we were playing them after three or four league games were out of the way, there would no doubt be discussion on here as to whether we would play a full strength team or whether we give some youngsters and fringe players a run out. As such, if we go into this game with the likes of Fraser Murray, Ryan Porteous and Calum Crane playing, I have no issue with that at all.

The League Cup is one of only two tournaments we have a chance of winning in this country, so like everyone I want us to do well in it - however, the change in the timing and structure of the tournament has made this group stage seem much more low key than going into the later stages of the knockout tournament, as we used to. We have made four very important signings thus far, and are in no way in bad shape going into that game on Saturday.

Whether we like it or not, the transfer window is open until 31 August - that's 62 days, and it's only been open for 13 thus far, so 80% of the time the window is open for remains. It's utterly insane for people to be catastrophising at this current stage, or that people are using terms like 'shambolic' with regards to our business. We have made four very good signings so far, and it's blindingly obvious that we will do more major business before the end of the window.

The sooner the better yes, but if we are after players that are also in demand by other clubs, then it may be a waiting game - these players have the time to make up their mind, and many of them will take it. I have some sympathy with those who suggest withdrawing deals from players who are stalling/don't appear fully committed (though not many seemed to like it when Fyvie was the recipient), but that can have its dangers too. I remember Craig Levein giving Chris Porter a deadline to make up his mind on a deal at Dundee Utd, Porter asked for an extra couple of days, and Levein stood firm, and told him no. Fair enough, but Porter then went on and signed for Motherwell and scored 18 goals that season as Motherwell finished well above Utd.

I have trust and faith in the people at ER to do the necessary business - Dempster and Lennon totally get Hibs, and given the way that they have helped to rebuild every aspect of this club over the last three years (not to mention some of the amazing transfer business we did when in the Championship), there's no way that they're not going to have us even stronger than we are now by the end of the window.

hughio
13-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Whilst I get the argument that it's good to get players in for pre-season and the start of the season proper, there are several things to remember. Firstly, we are not in need of a major rebuild here - yes we will need major signings up front to replace Jason and the other strikers that have left, but the idea that any players coming in will not be of use to us unless they have been integrated into the squad for several weeks doesn't stand up for me.

Secondly, everyone who is using the Montrose game as some kind of false deadline for when should have had our business done by is being way over the top. Firstly, without being totally disrespectful, it's a home game against a part time team from the bottom division in Scotland - if the tournament hadn't been revamped, and we were playing them after three or four league games were out of the way, there would no doubt be discussion on here as to whether we would play a full strength team or whether we give some youngsters and fringe players a run out. As such, if we go into this game with the likes of Fraser Murray, Ryan Porteous and Calum Crane playing, I have no issue with that at all.

The League Cup is one of only two tournaments we have a chance of winning in this country, so like everyone I want us to do well in it - however, the change in the timing and structure of the tournament has made this group stage seem much more low key than going into the later stages of the knockout tournament, as we used to. We have made four very important signings thus far, and are in no way in bad shape going into that game on Saturday.

Whether we like it or not, the transfer window is open until 31 August - that's 62 days, and it's only been open for 13 thus far, so 80% of the time the window is open for remains. It's utterly insane for people to be catastrophising at this current stage, or that people are using terms like 'shambolic' with regards to our business. We have made four very good signings so far, and it's blindingly obvious that we will do more major business before the end of the window.

The sooner the better yes, but if we are after players that are also in demand by other clubs, then it may be a waiting game - these players have the time to make up their mind, and many of them will take it. I have some sympathy with those who suggest withdrawing deals from players who are stalling/don't appear fully committed (though not many seemed to like it when Fyvie was the recipient), but that can have its dangers too. I remember Craig Levein giving Chris Porter a deadline to make up his mind on a deal at Dundee Utd, Porter asked for an extra couple of days, and Levein stood firm, and told him no. Fair enough, but Porter then went on and signed for Motherwell and scored 18 goals that season as Motherwell finished well above Utd.

I have trust and faith in the people at ER to do the necessary business - Dempster and Lennon totally get Hibs, and given the way that they have helped to rebuild every aspect of this club over the last three years (not to mention some of the amazing transfer business we did when in the Championship), there's no way that they're not going to have us even stronger than we are now by the end of the window.

Praise the Lord!
A sensible post on the subject!:top marks

GreenCastle
13-07-2017, 09:27 AM

My thoughts too. Nice post !

I would rather we get the right player in for the season or 2 / 3 years than rush in and get any old rubbish.

Recruitment isn't just about short term it's about long term otherwise we are stuck with crap players getting wages.

Every team in the world wants new players - I am willing to wait a bit longer to see what we do.

There have been promising signs from the friendlies that the young players have talent and some may just get their chance - something some didn't get last year and we ideally need to produce another talent to sell off in a few years to keep bringing funds in. Think Brown / KT / Whittacker / Cummings etc

SirDavidsNapper
13-07-2017, 09:37 AM
That's not what you said though in the post I was replying to, is it?
It is really if you read it

BSEJVT
13-07-2017, 09:45 AM
It is really if you read it

Fair do's that was the second part of your post

I will reply to that and say we are undoubtedly weaker.

Now will you reply to my post regarding your assertion that Pre-season has been shambolic?

Smartie
13-07-2017, 09:48 AM

I know I disagreed with you earlier in the thread, but you're pretty much spot on here.

I think one other thing that makes me a bit nervous is where the players we were signing are going to come from. If they are free agents (like so many of our signings are), will they have done an adequate pre-season if we sign them later in the window? How long will it take until they are match fit?

When we signed Darren McGregor, he'd done a rigorous pre-season with Mark Warburton at Rangers, arrived at Hibs superfit and in brilliant shape and slotted into the team immediately.

The flip side to this argument is Valdas Trakys who never got fit having joined us as a free agent in September having not done a pre-season.

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-07-2017, 09:55 AM
The only thing I'm worried about is how after two seasons where we had the glorious Scottish Cup win, and then a very comfortable win in the Championship - which have led to record season ticket sales - people are suggesting that we are somehow in turmoil, or things are a 'shambles'. It's crazy.

We haven't not signed anyone, we have signed several players - of course there is room for debate on whether we are stronger or not, but the idea that we are somehow in disarray ahead of the new season is preposterous, IMO. We will sign more players, are clearly happy to pay for quality, and are still a full three weeks away from the league campaign starting. I think only Rangers and Hearts have signed more players than us in the SPL anyway.

My concern for this season has always been that when we inevitably hit a bit of bad form, people will turn quickly and very prematurely call for major change. This thread, and the mood on much of the board at the moment, concerns me in that regard.

That said, the actual support that attended ER last year was much more robust and supportive than what you would think if you had only read comments on here throughout the season.

Excellent post Stevie. It's actually concerning to see the speed at which the negativity has appeared this summer. We've signed an international GK and an international CB I care not one jot that they were with us for periods of last season. Now they are OUR players permanently. We've signed a player that contributed 18 goals for the team that's finished 4th consecutively and signed a striker with 14 playing in a rank rotten side.

Aye we need a striker or 2 and probably a winger and creative midfielder but other than that we're in a good position. Panic stations on here because rangers and Hearts are doing business. Some poster's are laughable tbh.

I've never doubted Leeann since she came in nor have I doubted Lennon. That ain't gonna change because we haven't signed players as if we're playing fifa or football manager.

The team that played against Berwick should do the business against Montrose and the like ffs

Sioux
13-07-2017, 09:56 AM

I'm in a similar boat. I was typing this before you posted:

People should remember that during a summer transfer window there are many, many players out of contract. Some decent some not. Forget about the really good and good players. They're not coming here.

Of the rest, those at the top end are not going to jump at the first offer that comes along. They know they have a lot of time before they need to be panicking about whether an offer is at the stage where they might say "I better take this one".

The ones at the lower end will probably be more inclined to take an early offer. They may not get another one.

The signings we made early were largely on the back of the players having knowledge of what Hibs are all about. We probably had discussions with some of them throughout the run up to the end of the season. That was easy to do. It was also easy for the manager as he knew all about them.

To get other players in early, players that might know little or nothing about Hibs, you either sign the not very good ones or those that are desperate, or you pay over the odds for the better ones. Both scenarios would probably be considered wrong.

The players hold the cards and they will play their hand accordingly, on the basis of what best suits (no pun) them.

Take transfer deadline day for example; why are players still being signed or transferred, or even released, at such a late stage if every club 'should' have made their signings in the first couple of weeks into the window?

In the real world signings will be made from the start to the end of the window.

Moanin 'n greetin won't change that. It is what it is.

MWHIBBIES
13-07-2017, 09:56 AM

Taylor is rubbish and shouldnt be listed there. He was released. They also have Christie on loan. They have done really good business so far, their fans have every right to be confident

Brightside
13-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Cmon now we'll have none of this sensible posting on here.

Gordy M
13-07-2017, 10:06 AM
Taylor is rubbish and shouldnt be listed there. He was released. They also have Christie on loan. They have done really good business so far, their fans have every right to be confident

Im sure he played about 40 games for the team that finished 2nd in the league and got to SCF??? He cant be that rubbish?

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-07-2017, 10:08 AM

Missed this post when I quoted you earlier. You seem far too level headed Stevie, it'll never catch on. Great posts mate

The only thing killing our feel good factor is the negativity on here and on other social media platforms that means interviewers have to ask NL about signings to appease fans.

The board and manager are a different breed from eras gone by. Our progression ON the pitch runs side by side with our success OFF the pitch

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
13-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Aberdeen should have, literally millions more to spend than us. Second place prize money three years on the trot is easily 2-3m, additional tv money, selling hayes amd two cup final runs amd having their debts cleared - they probably habe 4-5m that we dont have at the moment.

Yes our exile in fhe first division worked out betyer than anyone could have ever hoped, but there was always gling to be a price to be paid - and missing oit on the opportunity that Aberdeen have grabbed with both hands was one of them.

They are ahead of us, and they should be ahead of us. We habe to earn the right to get to their level.

CropleyWasGod
13-07-2017, 10:18 AM
Aberdeen should have, literally millions more to spend than us. Second place prize money three years on the trot is easily 2-3m, additional tv money, selling hayes amd two cup final runs amd having their debts cleared - they probably habe 4-5m that we dont have at the moment.

Yes our exile in fhe first division worked out betyer than anyone could have ever hoped, but there was always gling to be a price to be paid - and missing oit on the opportunity that Aberdeen have grabbed with both hands was one of them.

They are ahead of us, and they should be ahead of us. We habe to earn the right to get to their level.

They made a loss in the 15/16 season, and we made a profit. Accounts for 16/17 aren't out yet.

Aberdeen's major source for their spending is probably the new director.

euro Hibby
13-07-2017, 10:55 AM
compliments to underscore.......good post ! Best not to read some of the current threads here but I guess people are more more bored than worried or just not the patient types
who prefer anyone in for some comfort.
Got to trust those in charge.....

CMurdoch
13-07-2017, 12:01 PM
They made a loss in the 15/16 season, and we made a profit. Accounts for 16/17 aren't out yet.

Aberdeen's major source for their spending is probably the new director.

Yeah, my first thought when McInnes stayed and they started to splash was the new director.