PDA

View Full Version : Thank you.

CL0762
11-07-2017, 09:30 PM
Today I said goodbye to my Grandad, John Leitch.

Not many of you would've known him by name but a lot of you who were regulars home and away would recognise him, the 2 of us.

Almost every away game, we went together via Maude and the Hawkhill bus.

When Maude sadly passed away, we went via Brockie's bus and the Carlton branch bus.

Every week, we sat on the left hand side of the bus, 3 seats deep.

Today, Brockie, Stephen Harrold and his son David and another member, in so sorry for not remembering the name attended my Grandad's funeral bedecked in hibernian ties, along with Frank Dougan. Now I can't say if Frank was there in an official capacity but in the role he is in, he made the effort to come along and pay his respects.

My Grandad is the main reason I'm a Hibs fan. We have together been all over Europe. From Vetra in Vilnius to Cork in Ireland. We were there together side by side, following our beloved Hibernian and for that I will be forever grateful.

His opening song was Sunshine on Leith and right now, my heart is broken.

Thank you for everything Grandad, for making me the Hibernian supporter I am and I promise you I will carry on the tradition for whatever generation I live to see.

Together, we got our photo with the Scottish cup.

Glory glory and I will love and remember you forever more.

Glory glory.

Sammy7nil
11-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Sad day but you have great memories.

stoneyburn hibs
11-07-2017, 09:48 PM
Sorry for your loss mate, condolences.

Capt Mainwaring
11-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Getting your picture together with the Scottish Cup will be very special. Sorry for your loss, you've got great memories to hold on to.

scuttle
11-07-2017, 09:54 PM
Sad to hear of your loss mate

jacomo
11-07-2017, 10:16 PM
RIP John. I never knew you but you sound like a great Hibby and your grandson has written a fine tribute here.

Jonnyboy
11-07-2017, 10:19 PM
Sad to hear of his passing but what a lot of marvelous memories he's left you with

greenlex
11-07-2017, 10:24 PM
Bless you my friend.

Stantons Angel
11-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Oh Craig,

I was just thinking of your granddad yesterday for some reason as i hadnt seen him in a while.

No one told me he was ill and had passed away or i would have been there today to say goodbye and give you a big hug too.

As well as travelling with you both with Maude, i sat with your granddad on the Carlton bus to the away games. He was a great Hibby and a really good man and always kept me up to date on how you were getting on when you were working down south.

He loved you so very much and i remember him and your dad going off to the football shops in Athens to buy you all the kit they could carry home with them.

I have many good memories of him from games home and away over many years and i will always remember him with affection.

Its sad Craig but he will be with you always in spirit and watching over you and the Hibees. Keep your chin up pal and i hope to speak with you soon.

Lots of love Janette xx

The Harp
11-07-2017, 10:55 PM
I didn't know your grandad but he sounds a lovely man and a devoted Hibee. You will have many happy memories of him to cherish and look back on. You were obviously very close to him in life and that won't change just because he has passed on - his spirit will stay with you.
Sincere condolences to you and your family.

givescotlandfreedom
11-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Sorry for your loss, Craig. Nice you got to share in the cup win and lots of memories with him.

CL0762
11-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Oh Craig,

I was just thinking of your granddad yesterday for some reason as i hadnt seen him in a while.

No one told me he was ill and had passed away or i would have been there today to say goodbye and give you a big hug too.

As well as travelling with you both with Maude, i sat with your granddad on the Carlton bus to the away games. He was a great Hibby and a really good man and always kept me up to date on how you were getting on when you were working down south.

He loved you so very much and i remember him and your dad going off to the football shops in Athens to buy you all the kit they could carry home with them.

I have many good memories of him from games home and away over many years and i will always remember him with affection.

Its sad Craig but he will be with you always in spirit and watching over you and the Hibees. Keep your chin up pal and i hope to speak with you soon.

Lots of love Janette xx

Thanks Janette, I remember being a wee laddie and you telling me when I was older you were to be my girlfriend, on those away trips to Aberdeen or Kilmarnock when you'd let me sit with you.

Thank you everyone for your mentions, at times like this I feel more of a Hibby than ever.

FranckSuzy
11-07-2017, 11:39 PM
I'm very sorry to hear your sad news and I hope you find some comfort from all those around you, including your fellow Hibees.

Much respect to the guys from your branch (and Frank) for attending your Grandad's funeral also 💚

Stantons Angel
12-07-2017, 12:23 AM
Thanks Janette, I remember being a wee laddie and you telling me when I was older you were to be my girlfriend, on those away trips to Aberdeen or Kilmarnock when you'd let me sit with you.

Thank you everyone for your mentions, at times like this I feel more of a Hibby than ever.

The Hibs family will always close ranks around one of their own at times like this Craig, you are never alone.

your comment made me laugh out loud! I remember those times well even though they were such a long time ago and you will always be my wee boyfriend.

Its a sad time pal but you have all the memories of the good times with your granddad and those wonderful holidays he used to take you on.

No one can take them away from you. He was luckier than some too, he got to see Hibs winning that cup. A lot, Maude included, didnt get to see that.

Stay strong. Jx

CL0762
12-07-2017, 12:45 AM
The Hibs family will always close ranks around one of their own at times like this Craig, you are never alone.

your comment made me laugh out loud! I remember those times well even though they were such a long time ago and you will always be my wee boyfriend.

Its a sad time pal but you have all the memories of the good times with your granddad and those wonderful holidays he used to take you on.

No one can take them away from you. He was luckier than some too, he got to see Hibs winning that cup. A lot, Maude included, didnt get to see that.

Stay strong. Jx

Holidays? You mean getting dragged to Vilnius and Daugavpils with no choice!

My most treasured possession now, and for the rest of my life is the photo of me him and his Great Grandson, all with the Scottish cup in our hand. A memory that will last with me forever.

My heart was (is) broken 💚

Edinburgher
12-07-2017, 12:58 AM
My condolences to you my friend and I`m glad that rather than looking at the negative aspect of his passing that you are focusing on his positive contribution to your life. Not to hijack your thread but my own grandfather helped turn me into a Hibee too with all the wonderful recollections of the Famous Five and other great Hibees (although he unfortunately passed away a year before Hibs finally won the cup) - such a shame that a golden generation of supporters are leaving us but their memories will live on and be passed on to future generations of Hibees. :agree:

monktonharp
12-07-2017, 01:01 AM
Holidays? You mean getting dragged to Vilnius and Daugavpils with no choice!

My most treasured possession now, and for the rest of my life is the photo of me him and his Great Grandson, all with the Scottish cup in our hand. A memory that will last with me forever.

My heart was (is) broken 💚condolences Craig, but as stated, you have some wonderful memories to cherish with you all at the SC Final along with the auld fella.

Forza Fred
12-07-2017, 01:38 AM
Moving post by O.P.

Don't recognise the name but sure your Grandad and my paths would have crossed in the early 70's.
Condolences.

connerg
12-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Sorry to hear about your Grandad.

I've been travelling on the Carlton bus, off and on since the early 80's.

I know the people you've mentioned. Well done to them for attending the funeral.

Three seats in on the left. You were always on the bus early!! lol.

BT58
12-07-2017, 06:28 AM
Condolonces to you and yours Craig.
Brian
Former member of Maudes picnic branch

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Sorry for your loss Craig. Your grandad sounds like a great man and hibee, you'll always have those memories to cherish.

BSEJVT
12-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss Craig

You have paid you granddad a wonderful tribute though and have memories to last forever.

Bostonhibby
12-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss Craig. Your grandad was a great supporter of our club by the sounds of it, some great memories.

RIP

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

bordergreen
12-07-2017, 03:18 PM

Not many of you would've known him by name but a lot of you who were regulars home and away would recognise him, the 2 of us.

When Maude sadly passed away, we went via Brockie's bus and the Carlton branch bus.

Today, Brockie, Stephen Harrold and his son David and another member, in so sorry for not remembering the name attended my Grandad's funeral bedecked in hibernian ties, along with Frank Dougan. Now I can't say if Frank was there in an official capacity but in the role he is in, he made the effort to come along and pay his respects.

My Grandad is the main reason I'm a Hibs fan. We have together been all over Europe. From Vetra in Vilnius to Cork in Ireland. We were there together side by side, following our beloved Hibernian and for that I will be forever grateful.

Thank you for everything Grandad, for making me the Hibernian supporter I am and I promise you I will carry on the tradition for whatever generation I live to see.

Glory glory.

Your post reminds us all that The Hibees are so much more than just a football club to us. Being a Hibee is woven in to the fabric of our lives to varying degrees. My two wee lassies don't even really like football, but love The Hibees because their dad does. We all have shared memories that tie us, our family relationships and the club together.

Sorry to hear about your Grandad, sounds like a good Hibby, always sad to lose one of our own.

at last 61
12-07-2017, 03:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss but at least he was with us last year for our cup win remember the good times and things will be alright. Chin up

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Baldy Foghorn
13-07-2017, 08:47 PM

Glory glory.

John was a fantastic Hibs man, and a regular traveller with our bus. Sad day, but paying our respects was least we could do. Frank was there representing Hibs and as a friend of John too.....