PDA

View Full Version : Positives

worcesterhibby
11-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Having watched the highlights of the Dunfermline and Sunderland matches and looking more generally at our current situation here are my positive thoughts.

Two good positive performances against two decent sides
Simon Murray looks keen, hungry, hard working, pacey and has already got off the mark
Danny Swanson looks creative and positive and has already got off the mark in front of goal
Despite a lack of forwards we have scored 6 goals in 2 games
John McGinn looks like he is in better form than we have seen for sometime !
Olli Shaw, Fraser Murray and Ryan Porteus all look like they could play a part in the first team this year
We have strength in depth at the back, particularly in the centre of defence
We have the best goalkeeper we have had since Jim leighton
We have a manger who I believe has higher aspirations for the team than even the majority of the support
We will have higher attendances this season than at anytime since the Tornadoes were playing
We look a good team already and will only get stronger as new faces are signed.
Chips are not a key part of our marketing campaign :wink:

Callum_62
11-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Agree with alot of what you say

However, our squad is wafer thin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
11-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Word of caution I dunno how decent Dunfermline really are??? They got papped 3 zip by Raith at weekend

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
11-07-2017, 05:32 PM
I have been going since 1989 and IMO this group of defenders is the best we have had in that time.

Dalianwanda
11-07-2017, 05:58 PM

Positives!! :rules::wink:

Silver Fox
11-07-2017, 05:59 PM

The manager said he is still going to add another 3 or 4

The_Horde
11-07-2017, 08:31 PM

At least. Is what he said

Pretty Boy
11-07-2017, 08:44 PM
We won't lose many goals next season. We need to add goals though or every goal conceded becomes a potential game loser and that puts real pressure on a goalkeeper and defence.

Murray and Porteous look close to being ready to make the step up which eases the recruitment burden a bit.

McGinn looks hungry and refreshed which is a huge boost. Hopefully McGeough can put a run of games together and Swanson looks a good addition.

I think we are between 2 and 4 players away from being really competitive. It's important players as opposed to bit part though and that's a bit concerning.

BSEJVT
11-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Word of caution I dunno how decent Dunfermline really are??? They got papped 3 zip by Raith at weekend

Word of caution, always looking for the negative in any situation will definitely reduce your enjoyment of life.

Borderhibbie76
11-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Word of caution, always looking for the negative in any situation will definitely reduce your enjoyment of life.Not at all mate I'm encouraged by pre season form and especially the youngsters like Porteous Shaw Murray and Martin...just not sure how good the Pars actually are as they've lost all their pre season matches heavily...

S4uzee
11-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Let's not kid on that Dunfermline are decent. Sunderland were hardly fantastic either.

Yes Swanson has looked good, our play has looked ok but nothing in the final third. Our strike force is the poorest it's been since we got relegated so lots of work to be done

NAE NOOKIE
11-07-2017, 11:59 PM
Wasn't at Dunfermline so I cant assess the performance, but 4 goals against a team who were more than decent in the 2nd half of last season cant be bad.

As for Sunderland ... from the back through the midfield we played pretty well in patches, with both McGinn and McGeouch looking fresh and up for it and not forgetting we had arguably our two best centre backs missing in Hanlon and Ambrose.
Even though we didn't use our opportunities as we could have I couldn't help noticing the number of times we managed to get round the back of the Sunderland defence and only a poor ball into the box or a near post clearance stopped us profiting from some good lead up play ... I lost count of the number of corners we won .... no matter what you think of Sunderland that's not bad going against a team full of defenders who were playing against Lukaku, Costa, Sanchez. Ibrahimovic et al last season.

There hasn't been too much mention of Martin Boyle apart from his haircut, but there was a few times against Sunderland where he managed to outfox his opponent and get a run down the wing, a couple of times he was only just caught by players I'm willing to bet are a good bit quicker than 80% of the defenders he will face next season .... in a similar situation against the likes of Dundee or Sevco I'm pretty sure he would have been away and into the box.

From what I've seen we don't look in too bad shape at all .... we clearly need a partner for Murray and probably another couple of players who are going to be better than squad makeweights. One big positive is that we certainly seem to have a number of youngsters who aren't far away from challenging for first team places on a regular basis.

No ... If we can make a couple of decent signings and most importantly keep John McGinn away from the Vultures I'm pretty confident we will be more than a match for anything we will have to face this season ..... It will be really interesting to see what we can do against Celtic especially.

Steve20
12-07-2017, 12:04 AM

We need more than that.

MacGruber
12-07-2017, 05:29 AM
We need more than that.

We need more than 3 - especially with it looking like Church & Pennant being 2 of them. Lennon singing both their praises in latest interview suggests they'll be offered a contract

jacomo
12-07-2017, 04:48 PM
We need more than that.

Why?

Ardenttwo
12-07-2017, 04:59 PM
We need more than that.

Especialy with our centre half situation. One still not fit to play and the other suspended for start of the season. Pennant and Church cheap options and not nearly good enough O I forgot our other centre half has gone awol maybe never to be seen again. Just where has all the money gone for the transfer of our star player,Record ST tickets and merchandise

worcesterhibby
12-07-2017, 05:15 PM
Especialy with our centre half situation. One still not fit to play and the other suspended for start of the season. Pennant and Church cheap options and not nearly good enough O I forgot our other centre half has gone awol maybe never to be seen again. Just where has all the money gone for the transfer of our star player,Record ST tickets and merchandise

Honestly I try to inject a bit of positivity and guys like you just can't resist throwing your inner bitterness around.why not stick to the moaning threads..I never normally use the phrase, but you are a grade A Bedwetter