PDA

View Full Version : Where is Sam Stanton?

Billychaotic182
11-07-2017, 12:37 PM
He did well on his loan last season and scored a few goals but he is no where near the team at the moment. Strange he isn't even on the bench in the friendlies

Brightside
11-07-2017, 12:40 PM
On holiday with Efe.

Tamhere1875
11-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Played on Saturday for the development side against Edinburgh City

staunchhibby
11-07-2017, 12:55 PM
Sam is training with the under 20s.Still trying to get Hibs to pay up remainder of contract and then he can move on.Not even training with first team.

Big_Franck
11-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Sam is training with the under 20s. Still trying to get Hibs to pay up remainder of contract and then he can move on.Not even training with first team.

I doubt we'd pay up the remainder of his contract. If he wants to be released early he should compromise on the pay off in my opinion. For example, if he was on 1k per week at Hibs (I know he won't be) and has offers from other clubs for £500pw we could pay him the extra £500pw for next season. Paying up the remainder of his contract to release him now wouldn't make much sense for Hibs, they'd be better off loaning him out again and getting that club to pay a % of his wages.

I hope he gets sorted with a new team soon though, I liked Sam when he first broke through and hope he can still have a decent career.

Tamhere1875
11-07-2017, 01:19 PM
Looks like it's going to be a long season for Sammy

Billy Whizz
11-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Looks like it's going to be a long season for Sammy

Works 2 ways Tam, Hibs obviously don't want him, would be sensible to come to some sort of compromise

staunchhibby
11-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Yep it would be sensible to pay up and let him get on with his career.Instead they are holding him back.I believe they have taken his squad number of him also which seems a bit petty.

Brightside
11-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Yep it would be sensible to pay up and let him get on with his career.Instead they are holding him back.I believe they have taken his squad number of him also which seems a bit petty.

Its not sensible for Hibs tho is it. The executive will do what's right for the club not what's right for Sam.

J-C
11-07-2017, 02:07 PM
Seems a bit of a shabby way to treat a player TBH, I don't think Sam is known for being a troublemaker and if they don't want him pay off the rest of his contract, a contract they were happy to give originally, well it looks bad on Hibs.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Christ he either he wants to try and make it at a lower level or he doesn't! Sitting doing basically **** all but with the youngsters trying to get his contract paid off seems daft to me.

KWJ
11-07-2017, 02:08 PM
Shocked that a team like Well, Dundee, Ross Co wouldn't take him let alone Falkirk, Utd, QotS, Dunfermline.

Since90+2
11-07-2017, 02:11 PM
Dont see why Hibs should have to pay up a lump sum to allow him to move on. His contract will state he is paid x amount a week and Hibs will be be honouring that as per the agreement they both entered into.

BSEJVT
11-07-2017, 02:13 PM

Hibs aren't holding him back at all, he isn't in their plans and is being treated accordingly.

Hibs have made Sam an offer to terminate his contract which he has the right to and has rejected, Hibs are contractually meeting their obligations.

Why would you give a player who you didn't plan to play a squad number?

lord bunberry
11-07-2017, 02:24 PM
Seems a bit of a shabby way to treat a player TBH, I don't think Sam is known for being a troublemaker and if they don't want him pay off the rest of his contract, a contract they were happy to give originally, well it looks bad on Hibs.

I agree, seems pretty poor to me. There must be a reason that he's not allowed to train with the first team, is Handling in the same position?

sleeping giant
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
I like Sam. Feel for the lad.
Hope he gets something soon.

Decent player and surprised he's not been snapped up.

blackpoolhibs
11-07-2017, 02:27 PM
He's a player who showed a bit of promise but ultimately has not been good enough. I think we all wanted him to succeed, i did because i'd have loved to have seen another Stanton in the team, but like many others before him he will need to play at a lower level if he wants to continue in the game.

staunchhibby
11-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Think the decision for Sam to train with the under 20s came from the hierarchy.

Brightside
11-07-2017, 02:37 PM

No it doesn't. He's not going to play in those games he was contracted for so why would we pay him for them?

Beefster
11-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Hibs will pay the rest of his contract so I'm not sure how they look bad. It looks like what they won't do is pay it upfront so he can then go and earn even more elsewhere. If the guy is happy training with the kids and not playing instead of compromising and getting his career back on track more fool him.

Ozyhibby
11-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Sam has no future at Hibs. He needs to cut his losses and find a new club for the sake of his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
11-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Is Handling still at ER or away/loan, lost track of him as well.

J-C
11-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Hibs will pay the rest of his contract so I'm not sure how they look bad. It looks like what they won't do is pay it upfront so he can then go and earn even more elsewhere. If the guy is happy training with the kids and not playing instead of compromising and getting his career back on track more fool him.

Only going by what Staunchhibby posted saying he was waiting to be paid up his contract in post number 4.

Generally you never get the full contract paid up anyway, it's normally a fraction of what it wold be.

J-C
11-07-2017, 03:05 PM
No it doesn't. He's not going to play in those games he was contracted for so why would we pay him for them?

Surely whether he plays in those games or not he still has a contract which says he earns £XXX per week, if Hibs don't want him then usually a deal is done to pay him off.

snooky
11-07-2017, 03:09 PM
Its not sensible for Hibs tho is it. The executive will do what's right for the club not what's right for Sam.

Agree up to a point but, what message does that send out to young players we try to sign?
It's kinda ike buying a car. The after sales service reputation of the garage could influence the decision on whether to buy or not.

BSEJVT
11-07-2017, 03:34 PM
Agree up to a point but, what message does that send out to young players we try to sign?
It's kinda ike buying a car. The after sales service reputation of the garage could influence the decision on whether to buy or not.

If anyone doesn't think this happens up and down the country to both worse and better players than Sam Stanton, they are completely divorced from reality.

Manager A likes player signs him or extends contract.

Manager A leaves / gets sack.

Manager B comes in and says to said player you are not for me .

Player thinks stuff it I will show him and hangs around.

Manager B doesn't change his mind.

Either Manager B or player get fed up with situation and a compromise of x% of contract is reached

Happens at every single club in the land and to players of every ability (see Man Utd & Wayne Rooney as an example).

The decision has been made and its now down to arguing about what Sam is prepared to accept to go, no big drama.

BTW Hibs wont pay off all contract or even a large part of it upfront.

They would be better paying him regularly till it expires as doing so would take a chunk out transfer budget.

Paisley Hibby
11-07-2017, 03:35 PM
Shocked that a team like Well, Dundee, Ross Co wouldn't take him let alone Falkirk, Utd, QotS, Dunfermline.

I know for a fact that Dumbarton wanted him but couldn't afford anywhere near what he's earning at Hibs.

Baw187
11-07-2017, 03:38 PM

Nothing like buying a car! [emoji23][emoji23]

snooky
11-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Nothing like buying a car! [emoji23][emoji23]

Aye it is. My Astra plays left back in the Vauxhall Conference League.

Baw187
11-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Aye it is. My Astra plays left back in the Vauxhall Conference League.

[emoji23][emoji1303]

lord bunberry
11-07-2017, 03:51 PM
If anyone doesn't think this happens up and down the country to both worse and better players than Sam Stanton, they are completely divorced from reality.

Either Manager B or player get fed up with situation and a compromise of x% of contract is reached

Happens at every single club in the land and to players of every ability (see Man Utd & Wayne Rooney as an example).

The decision has been made and its now down to arguing about what Sam is prepared to accept to go, no big drama.

They would be better paying him regularly till it expires as doing so would take a chunk out transfer budget.

It's more the bit about making him train with the under 20s that I find harsh

beensaidbefore
11-07-2017, 04:00 PM
Christ he either he wants to try and make it at a lower level or he doesn't! Sitting doing basically **** all but with the youngsters trying to get his contract paid off seems daft to me.

I suppse it dpends on what offers are around. I wouldnt quit my job and take another one for x% less just cos the boss thought there was someone else better at my job. Not sure what hes on but cant imagine a lower league side will be able to match it.

As as has been mentioned above, hibs agrreing to pay any shortfall for the first year could be a win win situ.

BSEJVT
11-07-2017, 04:09 PM

That I do have sympathy with, but it is typical man management of someone you are looking to move on.

Is this worse than offering the false hope of training with the team. I am sure Sam now knows exactly where he stands at Hibs.

I would guess first team training is a busy place with trialist's and the under 20's jockeying for position at the moment and there are only so many players that can be accommodated.

Again why would you waste the energy on someone not part of the plans

Lennon could also be using it to send a message to the Under 20's along the lines of this guy isn't a bad player but this is what can happen if you don't reach the required heights

SirDavidsNapper
11-07-2017, 04:20 PM
Hopefully he's anywhere but Hibs. Nothing against him but he's not good enough.

offshorehibby
11-07-2017, 04:47 PM

I know what you but if he's not part of the 1st team plans the manager will only won't to work with the squad.

Hibs have done the right thing by letting him train and get fit.

silverhibee
11-07-2017, 06:23 PM

Maybe player is waiting it out to see if manager B leaves the club and manager C might give him a chance.

Silver Fox
11-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Berwick tonight

MyJo
11-07-2017, 06:33 PM
That I do have sympathy with, but it is typical man management of someone you are looking to move on.

Is this worse than offering the false hope of training with the team. I am sure Sam now knows exactly where he stands at Hibs.

I would guess first team training is a busy place with trialist's and the under 20's jockeying for position at the moment and there are only so many players that can be accommodated.

Again why would you waste the energy on someone not part of the plans

Lennon could also be using it to send a message to the Under 20's along the lines of this guy isn't a bad player but this is what can happen if you don't reach the required heights

You would also have to factor in the potential for injuries. What if a player like Stanton who is not in the managers plans for the first team but is allowed to train with them injures a first team player? Would we really be happy with John McGinn or Danny Swanson being injured for several weeks because of a reckless challenge from a player who doesn't actually need to be there?

BSEJVT
11-07-2017, 06:44 PM
Maybe player is waiting it out to see if manager B leaves the club and manager C might give him a chance.

That he might be but that doesn't change the truth of what I posted and you will know that better than anyone.

It's a huge risk to take in a short career, unless you have a pretty good inkling Manager B is on his way.

As an outsider looking in it looks like the player is more motivated by the cash earnable by remaining at Hibs than the chance to show Manager B what a mistake he made with another club and maybe earn a move back in doing so :-)

I wouldn't criticise him for that as it is his living and his choice, but that's how it looks.

lapsedhibee
11-07-2017, 07:04 PM

**** no - it's not Calderwood is it? What have you heard?

Waxy
11-07-2017, 07:11 PM
Wish him all the best. Must be alot of football politics in this situation when a player really would be best to move on.

Scouse Hibee
11-07-2017, 07:45 PM
I suppse it dpends on what offers are around. I wouldnt quit my job and take another one for x% less just cos the boss thought there was someone else better at my job. Not sure what hes on but cant imagine a lower league side will be able to match it.

As as has been mentioned above, hibs agrreing to pay any shortfall for the first year could be a win win situ.

The scenario's are not even similar between the job as a footballer and your job though so not a good comparison.

Franck Stanton
11-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Came on second half V Berwick tonight. Raised the tempo of the game and hard a lot of good touches. Could still do a decent job for us. Hope we keep him.

E10 Rifle
11-07-2017, 10:55 PM
Came on second half V Berwick tonight. Raised the tempo of the game and hard a lot of good touches. Could still do a decent job for us. Hope we keep him.

Agree - why punt our young talent? Makes no sense.

beensaidbefore
11-07-2017, 11:02 PM
The scenario's are not even similar between the job as a footballer and your job though so not a good comparison.

Not sure it matters what job you do. If you have a contract which states you will get paid x over 4 years, and plan your life accordingly, it would be difficult to take a fairly hefty pay cut.

Obbviously no idea what the guy gets paid, but he may struggle to get similar terms elsewhere, assuming he makes a step down.

ian cruise
11-07-2017, 11:05 PM
Berwick tonight

This thread was excellently timed for that very response.

Ozyhibby
11-07-2017, 11:08 PM

We get rid of players every year who are not good enough. Sam and Danny Handling have both been told it would be best if they found new clubs. They were told the same by Stubbs.
It's up to them if they want to go away and try be footballers or hang on for another years wages at Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2017, 07:53 AM

They can leave because they have not pushed their way into the 1st team after how many seasons?

We have a new bunch of players coming through who will replace them and the others who have left, and these will be given a chance like they were to push on and try and play their way into the team over the course of their contracts.

Smartie
12-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Sam's done that a few times. I seem to remember us labouring at home to Dumbarton in the league cup a few years ago and he came on and lifted us.

I like him, can't imagine he's on huge wages and would like to see him get a few chances in the League Cup, even if it is only for 20 minutes at the end of games.

Since90+2
12-07-2017, 08:44 AM
He's not good enough to be a first team regular if we want the club to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers for 2nd and 3rd spot. Seems like a decent enough lad and hope he can have a decent career but his chance has come and gone.

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 09:24 AM
He's not good enough to be a first team regular if we want the club to be challenging Aberdeen and Rangers for 2nd and 3rd spot. Seems like a decent enough lad and hope he can have a decent career but his chance has come and gone.

Has it though? He was one of the only good parts under Butcher and when Stubbs came in he tended to use him as a winger when he gave him a game and Sam is certainly not a winger!! Still, that first season he was second top scorer from midfield (with a couple of others) and got a few assists despite having much less game time than the other midfielders. Since then he's gone out to Livingston and Dumbarton and done well at both by all accounts. I'm not for one second suggesting that Sam is the answer and we should keep him but I don't feel he's had a proper chance in his correct position to show what he can do under either Stubbs or Lennon. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him play in the AM role in the cup this weekend but I think Lennon has already made up his mind about him, either way I wouldn't want him going anywhere until we get some more bodies in the door!

Blaster
12-07-2017, 09:55 AM
Sam's done that a few times. I seem to remember us labouring at home to Dumbarton in the league cup a few years ago and he came on and lifted us.

I like him, can't imagine he's on huge wages and would like to see him get a few chances in the League Cup, even if it is only for 20 minutes at the end of games.

I think he's had those chances and would rather now see Fraser Murray get that game time. Shame cause I really liked the look of Sam when he first got his chance

snooky
12-07-2017, 12:28 PM
I think he's had those chances and would rather now see Fraser Murray get that game time. Shame cause I really liked the look of Sam when he first got his chance

I think Sam was unfortunate in that he was blooded in a poor and struggling team. A lot of weight was put on his shoulders at a young age. Had he had the proper initiation into a stable first team I think he would have flourished.
Butcher did little for Sam's career, IMO. Mind you, Butcher did little regarding everything at Hibs.

Keyser Sauzee
12-07-2017, 12:39 PM
I think Sam was unfortunate in that he was blooded in a poor and struggling team. A lot of weight was put on his shoulders at a young age. Had he had the proper initiation into a stable first team I think he would have flourished.
Butcher did little for Sam's career, IMO. Mind you, Butcher did little regarding everything at Hibs.

There's been 3 full seasons since the butcher days, we can't keep using him as an excuse when it comes to players like Sam. If he can't recover in 3 years from what it was like under Butcher then he's not good enough and should move on.

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 01:04 PM
There's been 3 full seasons since the butcher days, we can't keep using him as an excuse when it comes to players like Sam. If he can't recover in 3 years from what it was like under Butcher then he's not good enough and should move on.

What has he done wrong to suggest he can't "recover" though? As I mentioned earlier since Butcher he's been played out of position and still managed to be the 2nd top scorer from midfield & get in a few assists in with very few starts/appearances and has been on out on loan (getting good reviews in the process) for the rest of the time. He'll never be a McGinn/McGeouch and will probably never make it with us as long as we attract players of their calibre but imo he's never really let us down when he's played......

Keyser Sauzee
12-07-2017, 01:24 PM
What has he done wrong to suggest he can't "recover" though? As I mentioned earlier since Butcher he's been played out of position and still managed to be the 2nd top scorer from midfield & get in a few assists in with very few starts/appearances and has been on out on loan (getting good reviews in the process) for the rest of the time. He'll never be a McGinn/McGeouch and will probably never make it with us as long as we attract players of their calibre but imo he's never really let us down when he's played......

Well he's not impressed the 2 managers after Butcher anywhere near enough to suggest he is good enough in a poorer league than the one we will be playing in next season. It doesn't really matter that much what reviews he's getting on loan elsewhere because both managers had pretty much made their mind up on him and that wasn't going to change with good displays for Dumbarton. Seems a nice lad but his times up at Hibs and we need to get better in, even as squad players.

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Well he's not impressed the 2 managers after Butcher anywhere near enough to suggest he is good enough in a poorer league than the one we will be playing in next season. It doesn't really matter that much what reviews he's getting on loan elsewhere because both managers had pretty much made their mind up on him and that wasn't going to change with good displays for Dumbarton. Seems a nice lad but his times up at Hibs and we need to get better in, even as squad players.

As I just said he scored just as many if not more than every other midfielder we had except Scott Robertson in the only full season he was here after Butcher whilst hardly playing and being played out of position when he did play, yet he was never given a chance to get games (even against the weaker sides) and see what he could do when we were desperately wanting goals from midfield. I agree with you and already said he'll never make it at Hibs whilst we have the calibre of midfielder we have now and he needs to go to progress, but the whole point of me replying to your post is that he's never let us down when playing and you were talking about him not "recovering" from Butcher.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Has it though? He was one of the only good parts under Butcher and when Stubbs came in he tended to use him as a winger when he gave him a game and Sam is certainly not a winger!! Still, that first season he was second top scorer from midfield (with a couple of others) and got a few assists despite having much less game time than the other midfielders. Since then he's gone out to Livingston and Dumbarton and done well at both by all accounts. I'm not for one second suggesting that Sam is the answer and we should keep him but I don't feel he's had a proper chance in his correct position to show what he can do under either Stubbs or Lennon. I certainly wouldn't mind seeing him play in the AM role in the cup this weekend but I think Lennon has already made up his mind about him, either way I wouldn't want him going anywhere until we get some more bodies in the door!
I agree, he's the only midfielder at the club that looks capable of scoring goals. He certainly doesn't deserve to be training with the youth team.

BSEJVT
12-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I agree, he's the only midfielder at the club that looks capable of scoring goals. He certainly doesn't deserve to be training with the youth team.

Sorry but the first sentence is nonsense

Swanson and Mcginn don't look like scoring, Fraser Murray, Boyle, Pennant to name but 5.

I get that you don't think Sam should be training with the youths but folk need to calm down on the hysteria

IAmLee
12-07-2017, 02:39 PM

Swanson and Mcginn don't look like scoring, Fraser Murray, Boyle, Pennant to name but 5.

I get that you don't think Sam should be training with the youths but folk need to calm down on the hysteria

Just as a comparison:

Danny will score us goals but it's maybe worth bearing in mind that, of the 15 goals he scored last season , 10 were penalties.
McGinn has scored 5 in each of the last two seasons which is 1 more than Sam per season (for balance sake Sam was only getting regular games for half of the 15/16 season.).
Don't want to compare him to Murray cos Fraser hasn't been getting regular first team games so it's not fair.
Boyle scored 9 last season but I think most of them came when he was being played as a striker with Holt so don't know what his stats from midfield are
Pennant's never been prolific, the most he's ever scored in a season is 5.

Looking at that I think we definitely need more goals from midfield, I'm assuming Lennon does too which is why he went after Berry. It certainly won't be Sam Stanton, but his goalscoring record stands up to every one of our midfielders with the exception of Swanson.

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 03:21 PM

I was comparing him to players we already had and Stanton was the only goalscoring midfielder at the club. Sjm certainly doesn't strike me as a player who will get us goals as he hasn't done it since he's been here.
The others are new signings and it remains to be seen whether they score goals.

BSEJVT
12-07-2017, 03:37 PM
I was comparing him to players we already had and Stanton was the only goalscoring midfielder at the club. Sjm certainly doesn't strike me as a player who will get us goals as he hasn't done it since he's been here.

But by that yardstick we cant know if Sam will get goals as his are either historic or at other clubs?

SJM has still outscored Sam also

What about Boyle?

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 04:00 PM
But by that yardstick we cant know if Sam will get goals as his are either historic or at other clubs?

SJM has still outscored Sam also

What about Boyle?
I would imagine lots of boyles goals were scored when he played as a striker.
My main point was that it seems a bit harsh to have him training with the youth team. He doesn't deserve that imo.

500miles
12-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Stanton is a technically gifted player, but very lightweight. In fact, the 6-2 loss was a good example of his strengths and weaknesses.

Scored a good goal, given time on the ball really creative, but lacking a burst of pace, strength to hold off his marker, and brushed aside when defending. He could save his career, but he needs to put some real work in.

blackpoolhibs
12-07-2017, 05:27 PM

Who's position would he take, where would he play? I'm sure we will also be bringing in others, and of course we still have players who are coming through from the youngsters who have shown promise too?

KWJ
12-07-2017, 06:11 PM
NL Post Berwick match comments praises SS and DH but says they have a ways to go to get in the team and that there is interest in both of them. Lots of praise of DH over the summer getting his fitness up.

Silver Fox
12-07-2017, 08:17 PM
This thread was excellently timed for that very response.

Thanks Ian :cb

Ozyhibby
13-07-2017, 06:18 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/danny-handling-and-sam-stanton-won-t-make-hibs-first-team-1-4502216

green day
13-07-2017, 06:23 AM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/danny-handling-and-sam-stanton-won-t-make-hibs-first-team-1-4502216

Lennon interviewed again this week!!!

Doesn't he know that it's a .net fact that he has maintained a worrying silence all close season? 😁😁😁😁

MacGruber
13-07-2017, 06:26 AM
Would rather Stanton or Handling over Pennant.
Though I agree neither will make the first team at Hibs.

lord bunberry
13-07-2017, 06:27 AM
Who's position would he take, where would he play? I'm sure we will also be bringing in others, and of course we still have players who are coming through from the youngsters who have shown promise too?
At this stage he wouldn't be a starter, but he's proven that he can get a goal when coming off the bench. He's a decent player who shouldn't be training with the youth team.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2017, 06:44 AM
At this stage he wouldn't be a starter, but he's proven that he can get a goal when coming off the bench. He's a decent player who shouldn't be training with the youth team.

He's not pushed on and made a starting spot in the team in over how many years, is it now 4?

There comes a time with every player that can't get in the side, they either ask away or that decision is made for them.

As for training with the first team, i don't think he should be. Lennon should be concentrating on those who will feature in his plans, and Stanton has hardly featured in any managers plans since he joined the club.

Football is a harsh business, and Stanton has the facility to train, he has the ability to keep himself fit, he really does need to leave.

Its clear he has no future at the club.

Andy74
13-07-2017, 08:18 AM

Away. Pennant is a different class to those two entirely.

MacGruber
13-07-2017, 08:22 AM
Away. Pennant is a different class to those two entirely.

Was.

Aldo
13-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Would rather Stanton or Handling over Pennant. Though I agree neither will make the first team at Hibs.

A waste of 2 wages surely!

The aim is to play in the starting 11 and they've been told they will struggle to do this.

I will also suggest that Pennant will produce more quality in a handful of games than the 2 of them have produced in the last few years. This I know is harsh but I am disappointed with their progress, Handling in particular how showed signs a few years back that he could step up to the plate!

JimBHibees
13-07-2017, 08:25 AM

No way. Time to move on from Danny and Sam would suit both parties.

MacGruber
13-07-2017, 09:06 AM
No way. Time to move on from Danny and Sam would suit both parties.

Yeah I agree. Sam and Danny have to move on. They won't cut it and not good enough for first 11.
Pennant even more so. My point is we are letting these 2 go, as we should but Pennant isn't any better (now as opposed to 5 or 6 years ago)

MacGruber
13-07-2017, 09:09 AM
A waste of 2 wages surely!

The aim is to play in the starting 11 and they've been told they will struggle to do this.

I will also suggest that Pennant will produce more quality in a handful of games than the 2 of them have produced in the last few years. This I know is harsh but I am disappointed with their progress, Handling in particular how showed signs a few years back that he could step up to the plate!

I agree Sam and Danny are done.
Just don't see how Pennant is an improvement even on those 2 who already aren't good enough.

You think Pennant is. Hope for all our sakes you're right.

Aldo
13-07-2017, 09:12 AM
I agree Sam and Danny are done. Just don't see how Pennant is an improvement even on those 2 who already aren't good enough. You think Pennant is. Hope for all our sakes you're right.

It's about quality and he has quality IMHO!

He has to sign first!

timewilltell
13-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Hopefully he's anywhere but Hibs. Nothing against him but he's not good enough.
This....

J-C
13-07-2017, 09:26 AM
He's not pushed on and made a starting spot in the team in over how many years, is it now 4?

There comes a time with every player that can't get in the side, they either ask away or that decision is made for them.

As for training with the first team, i don't think he should be. Lennon should be concentrating on those who will feature in his plans, and Stanton has hardly featured in any managers plans since he joined the club.

Football is a harsh business, and Stanton has the facility to train, he has the ability to keep himself fit, he really does need to leave.

Its clear he has no future at the club.

Sammy played 61 times between 2013-15 and then only 6 when Stubbs came in, he played 27 games last season for Dumbarton scoring 4 goals, so basically he's been on loan for a season and a half but prior to that was a regular in the team playing quite a few games and TBH he wasn't the worst player during Fenlon/Butcher era and was one of the youngsters who suffered during their management of the club.

Andy74
13-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Was.

Still is.

blackpoolhibs
13-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Sammy played 61 times between 2013-15 and then only 6 when Stubbs came in, he played 27 games last season for Dumbarton scoring 4 goals, so basically he's been on loan for a season and a half but prior to that was a regular in the team playing quite a few games and TBH he wasn't the worst player during Fenlon/Butcher era and was one of the youngsters who suffered during their management of the club.

Cant be arsed looking, but those 61 appearances would not be starts i'm guessing, and it was in a period where we had quite a lot of very average to poor players.

This team we are putting together now, has no place for Stanton or Handling. As i said before, we can't keep everyone, and youngsters who are coming through now have overtaken them.

J-C
13-07-2017, 03:18 PM
Cant be arsed looking, but those 61 appearances would not be starts i'm guessing, and it was in a period where we had quite a lot of very average to poor players.

This team we are putting together now, has no place for Stanton or Handling. As i said before, we can't keep everyone, and youngsters who are coming through now have overtaken them.

I understand it's time for Sammy to move on but he did play a good few games for us in that 2 season spell and also the last 18 months on loan where he seemingly did quite well. Lennon has told them they're well down the pecking order and the ball's in their court, stay and fight or get another club.

pacorosssco
14-07-2017, 12:31 AM

Its hard to bring players through when up against it changing managers quickly it is a credit to Lewis Stevenson he has kept a place in ten years of change. Stanton has been unlucky and still will most likely forge career in game but has to move on to do so. Wish him well

easty
14-07-2017, 06:43 AM
I understand it's time for Sammy to move on but he did play a good few games for us in that 2 season spell and also the last 18 months on loan where he seemingly did quite well. Lennon has told them they're well down the pecking order and the ball's in their court, stay and fight or get another club.

Aye he played a good few games for us, when we were mince. Then done well for Dumbarton, which is the level of football where he'll end up playing. That's below our level, he's no good enough for Hibs.

snooky
14-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Aye he played a good few games for us, when we were mince. Then done well for Dumbarton, which is the level of football where he'll end up playing. That's below our level, he's no good enough for Hibs.

The whole Hibs team were playing at that level at that time. By that reasoning all of the Hibs players playing then are not good enough for Hibs now?

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2017, 02:56 PM
The whole Hibs team were playing at that level at that time. By that reasoning all of the Hibs players playing then are not good enough for Hibs now?

Nonsense, those who have stepped up and fought for their places and improved the team are still in the side on merit. Those who couldn't force their way into the side, and have failed to impress the managers have been out on loan or released.

easty
14-07-2017, 02:57 PM

Yep. Of course that's what I'm saying.

We were in a lower division, he struggled for a game, he's clearly not good enough for us now we're in the Prem.

We were in the same division as Dumbarton, but they were never on our level. Much the same as Chelsea and Huddersfield.

Del Boy
14-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Heard Stanton is going to Dundee United.

Billy Whizz
14-07-2017, 04:37 PM
Heard Stanton is going to Dundee United.

Good move for him. Permanent deal?

SirDavidsNapper
14-07-2017, 04:47 PM
If Dundee United move is true im delighted for him. Good club and will get a chance there. Sadly was never good enough for Hibs and tin hat on here but his surname probably bought him a lot of time with us mere mortal fans.

blackpoolhibs
14-07-2017, 04:51 PM
I think that would be a bad move for him, i can see him sitting back on the bench a lot if he joined them.

SirDavidsNapper
14-07-2017, 04:54 PM
I think that would be a bad move for him, i can see him sitting back on the bench a lot if he joined them.

Hopefully their manager can ensure he is a key player. Wish him well

snooky
14-07-2017, 05:21 PM
If Dundee United move is true im delighted for him. Good club and will get a chance there. Sadly was never good enough for Hibs and tin hat on here but his surname probably bought him a lot of time with us mere mortal fans.

Like it did for Jordan Cropley? :dunno:

SirDavidsNapper
14-07-2017, 05:28 PM

Lol true. Time will tell I guess

Leith's finest
14-07-2017, 05:38 PM
I think a few of the youngsters of that time suffered under butcher, harris, stanton, caldwell, horribine,handling were getting the odd chance under fenlon,

tamig
14-07-2017, 06:13 PM

Jordan Cropley only ever played a handful of games and could never be compared to Sam Stanton. Sam made a decent contribution in several games. I can't really recall Cropley doing anything of note.

snooky
14-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Jordan Cropley only ever played a handful of games and could never be compared to Sam Stanton. Sam made a decent contribution in several games. I can't really recall Cropley doing anything of note.

Did his name get him as far as he got or his ability. It doesn't matter what level he actually reached. That was my point.

sleeping giant
14-07-2017, 09:05 PM

Sam did indeed make a contribution.
Really hope the laddie can get a club and make a decent living.

Thrown in under managers during a difficult time.

djs69
15-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Talk of him going to Dundee United

w pilton hibby
15-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Talk of him going to Dundee United

The Sun agrees with you

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1288265/hibs-midfielder-sam-stanton-is-on-the-verge-of-joining-dundee-united-on-loan-until-the-end-of-the-season/amp/

Allant1981
15-07-2017, 12:38 PM
he has signed for them on loan for the season

1875STEVE
15-07-2017, 12:39 PM
deal done

http://dufc.co/news/welcome-samuel-stanton/

Iggy Pope
15-07-2017, 12:42 PM
Sam did indeed make a contribution.
Really hope the laddie can get a club and make a decent living.

Thrown in under managers during a difficult time.

And stood head and shoulders above the dross he was surrounded by in that relegation run-in.
Good luck to him.

KWJ
15-07-2017, 01:19 PM
He'll be back in the prem and doing well soon enough. Good luck to him - decent player and seemed a good guy.

snooky
15-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Good luck Sam. I'm sure you'll do well.

Jamesie
15-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I've been getting his name and number printed on my shirt for the last few seasons. I like the tie with the old and the new. Did he get a Hibs squad number this year in the end?

BSEJVT
15-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Good Luck Sam

Kick on now and show us what we are missing

staunchhibby
15-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Nope squad number was taken from him.All the best at United Sam