PDA

View Full Version : Age

Tamhere1875
08-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Totally pissed of with people on here saying such and succ a player is to young and isn't ready yet. Do you see supporters at other clubs moaning about younger less inexperienced player coming into their teams?. If the manager thinks they are good enough then they are old enough.

Captain Trips
08-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Totally pissed of with people on here saying such and succ a player is to young and isn't ready yet. Do you see supporters at other clubs moaning about younger less inexperienced player coming into the team?. If the manager thinks they are good enough then they are old enough.

Fans of other clubs moan about the same **** we do, we are no better or worse than other clubs.

StevieCowan
08-07-2017, 05:11 PM
Totally pissed of with people on here saying such and succ a player is to young and isn't ready yet. Do you see supporters at other clubs moaning about younger less inexperienced player coming into their teams?. If the manager thinks they are good enough then they are old enough.

Fans have different opinions. Fans of every club in the world and not exclusively related to Hibs.

Keyser Sauzee
08-07-2017, 05:12 PM
Your right, people aren't allowed to express/ have an opinion on a young inexperienced player who really isn't ready yet......

Golden Bear
08-07-2017, 05:14 PM
And at the other end of the age question, anyone over the age of 29 is far too old so shouldn't be considered as a transfer target.

B.H.F.C
08-07-2017, 05:32 PM
We don't even know that the manager thinks they are ready yet. Playing in pre season games, before we have a fully assembled squad doesn't mean that much really. It gives them an opportunity but I'd be surprised if the likes of Shaw, Porteous or Murray (who I think is by far the best of the bunch) are in the team on the opening day of the league season.

matty_f
08-07-2017, 05:33 PM
So long as nobody puts the age of players on social media, we'll be fine. Or something.

tamig
08-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Does everything not piss you off?

IanM
08-07-2017, 06:06 PM

You should post this on fans news

DaveF
08-07-2017, 06:12 PM

Well if it pissess you off then this place is doing something right.

ancient hibee
08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
We don't even know that the manager thinks they are ready yet. Playing in pre season games, before we have a fully assembled squad doesn't mean that much really. It gives them an opportunity but I'd be surprised if the likes of Shaw, Porteous or Murray (who I think is by far the best of the bunch) are in the team on the opening day of the league season.

I'd be amazed if Porteous is because he'll be playing for Dumbarton.

Mibbes Aye
08-07-2017, 06:25 PM
So long as nobody puts the age of players on social media, we'll be fine. Or something.

:greengrin

Football is one of the only truly meritocratic things in the world, lord knows how.

Players find their true level, maybe not straight away but they always do.

Brilliant passage in Nick Hornby's "Fever Pitch" about Gus Caesar which makes the point far more eloquently (in fairness, credit to Ozhyibby for pushing this argument as long as I've known him :agree:)

Ray_
08-07-2017, 06:45 PM

I remember fantastic young Hibs players coming through and doing fabulously well. Peter Cormack scoring against Real Madrid & John Brownlie making his Scotland debut aged 19 in Russia.

I do think it is a different world now though, as footballers are fitter, making football more physically demanding from my time and therefore speed is not the asset it once was for the kids, they now need to have that physical development to compensate, so their breakthrough is often later than it used to be.

J-C
08-07-2017, 07:06 PM
Aye Rashford at Man U is far to young to be anywhere near a Man U team....oh wait he's not, if they're good enough they're old enough.

ShinyFantastic
08-07-2017, 07:07 PM
I think we actually have an ageing team if you go through it player for player. We need a couple of young guys drafted in, possibly Fraser Murray and maybe Shaw.

Ray_
08-07-2017, 07:14 PM
Aye Rashford at Man U is far to young to be anywhere near a Man U team....oh wait he's not, if they're good enough they're old enough.

It is easy to pick exceptions, fact remains that young players today are generally older [than previous era's] when they break through. Joe Baker was scoring four goals against the terrible trio of hearts at 17, Derek Riordan was on loan at Cowdenbeath when he was 20.

ian cruise
08-07-2017, 07:26 PM
I think we actually have an ageing team if you go through it player for player. We need a couple of young guys drafted in, possibly Fraser Murray and maybe Shaw.

I would say our squad is far from ageing.

Rocky - 27
Gray - 29
McGregor - 31
Ambrose - 28
Hanlon - 27
Stevenson - 29
Bartley - 31
McGeough - 24
McGinn - 22
Boyle - 24
Swanson - 30
Murray - 25
Laidlaw - 24
Graham - 29

ShinyFantastic
08-07-2017, 07:44 PM
I would say our squad is far from ageing.

Rocky - 27
Gray - 29
McGregor - 31
Ambrose - 28
Hanlon - 27
Stevenson - 29
Bartley - 31
McGeough - 24
McGinn - 22
Boyle - 24
Swanson - 30
Murray - 25
Laidlaw - 24
Graham - 29

A whole four players under 25.... The conveyor belt keeps on producing, the next golden generation is upon us.

ian cruise
08-07-2017, 07:47 PM
A whole four players under 25.... The conveyor belt keeps on producing, the next golden generation is upon us.

It's very unusual to have many players undefined the ages of 23/24 in a squad, it's widely acknowledged players are at their peak around the ages of 27/28 so on that front we have a good age range. Very few are over thirty this season. In a couple of years if we're relying on exactly the same squad and no youngsters have come through then your point is more valid.

lord bunberry
08-07-2017, 07:53 PM

I've never read anything like that. I've read plenty posts saying a player isn't ready(on the thread about Oli Shaw) but none of them are to do with age.
I agree that if the manager thinks their ready then they shouldn't go out on loan.

B.H.F.C
08-07-2017, 07:54 PM
I'd be amazed if Porteous is because he'll be playing for Dumbarton.

Never saw that confirmed was it? We've since let Forster go and Hanlon seems to be toiling. McGregor suspended first game as well.

Jonnyboy
08-07-2017, 08:48 PM

You dinnae half enjoy farting in the room and then promptly walking out of the door

lord bunberry
08-07-2017, 09:23 PM
You dinnae half enjoy farting in the room and then promptly walking out of the door
Sadly predictable John

ancient hibee
08-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Never saw that confirmed was it? We've since let Forster go and Hanlon seems to be toiling. McGregor suspended first game as well.
There were quotes from both clubs and the player but you never know what might happen.Does seem that we might be light at centre half for the first game.

J-C
08-07-2017, 10:36 PM
It is easy to pick exceptions, fact remains that young players today are generally older [than previous era's] when they break through. Joe Baker was scoring four goals against the terrible trio of hearts at 17, Derek Riordan was on loan at Cowdenbeath when he was 20.

Alli made his spurs debut at 19, Raheem Sterling was 17, Wilshere was 16, Aaron Lennon 16, Rooney 17, Ronaldo 16 and Messi was 16.

These may all be top players but proves the point that age is nothing and talent is everything.

J-C
08-07-2017, 10:39 PM
There were quotes from both clubs and the player but you never know what might happen.Does seem that we might be light at centre half for the first game.

Light with McGregor, Ambrose, Fontaine and Porteous all available for 2 starting spots. :confused:

hfc rd
08-07-2017, 10:42 PM
Alli made his spurs debut at 19, Raheem Sterling was 17, Wilshere was 16, Aaron Lennon 16, Rooney 17, Ronaldo 16 and Messi was 16.

These may all be top players but proves the point that age is nothing and talent is everything.

Alli made his first team debut at 16 with MK Dons.

I totally agree with your point below. Age is nothing if the talent is there.

J-C
08-07-2017, 10:48 PM
Alli made his first team debut at 16 with MK Dons.

I totally agree with your point below. Age is nothing if the talent is there.

Yep he did I forgot about that, still proves my point though.

I think we've been poor for a good few years before relegation and managers were scared to blood too many youngsters, instead buying so called experienced players to gain instant success which never came. Add a development team who didn't really develop the youngsters mentally and physically and we've not produced enough compared to other teams. With the new set up we seem to be bringing through the right type of youngster and all bodes well.

BoomtownHibees
08-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Light with McGregor, Ambrose, Fontaine and Porteous all available for 2 starting spots. :confused:

McGregor is suspended and Porteous is meant to be going out on loan

Brightside
08-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Christ on a bike. We are doing very well.

J-C
08-07-2017, 10:59 PM
McGregor is suspended and Porteous is meant to be going out on loan

Didn't realise McGregor was suspended, maybe that's why Porteous's loan hasn't been finalised until after the 1st game, probably be Efe and Fontaine to start with Porteous on the bench.

BoomtownHibees
08-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Didn't realise McGregor was suspended, maybe that's why Porteous's loan hasn't been finalised until after the 1st game, probably be Efe and Fontaine to start with Porteous on the bench.

Yeah Daz and Sir David are both out so leaves us pretty bare at the back for that first game

Ray_
09-07-2017, 07:36 AM
T

There is nothing more satisfying than watching young players come through your club and seeing them succeed. We have had some great U21 teams lately, winning honours, but, since the golden generation, precious few made the grade in Hibs first team.

I coined the phrase "golden generation", because that was an exceptional period. Over the years, before that we had the likes of the superb John Collins and extremely good players like Mickey Weir, Brian Rice, Paul Kane come through. But nothing to compare with the period when players such as Stanton, Cormack, Stevenson, O'Rourke, Stein, Blackley, Marinello, Cropley & Brownlie, came through on a seemingly never ending conveyor belt. We complimented our own young players by buying in youngsters like Neil Martin, Erich Scheadler & Arthur Duncan from other clubs and watching them flourish.

We have also had players of outstanding ability, like Kenny Davidson, who skirted around the edge of the first team, much like Alex Harris in recent seasons, but never got to grips with the physical element of the game, although there is time for young Alex.

Again you are using exceptions, where in the past, most teams would have young players making a significant impact on the first team. Since the SPL came in to force during the 1975/6 season, when the top division was reduced from 18 to 10 teams, fear was used as the reason fewer youngsters were being blooded in to the first team. There is obviously still an element of that going on, but as well as obvious talent, the game is more athletic today and that is what I believe to be the reason that fewer of our successful youth players, achieve the level that is expected of them and it is also this reason that I believe, generally, players are older when they make that breakthrough.

Pretty Boy
09-07-2017, 11:17 AM
Another bomb dropped, reaction gained and disappearing act carried out by the OP.

If I wasn't so sure you want banned so you can bad mouth us elsewhere I would have tipped you out the doors by now.