PDA

View Full Version : Flag raising

CropleyWasGod
08-07-2017, 11:01 AM
My Dad wants to see the "flag being raised" at the start of the season.

My questions are:-

1. is there an actual ceremony? What happens? Does Tam McCourt scramble on to the roof of the stand and do some kind of Edmund Hillary act?

2. will it be at the first LC game, or the league game against Thistle?

Keith_M
08-07-2017, 11:19 AM
There was something similar when we were promoted in 1981. IIRC, there was a flagpole attached to the south end of the Main Stand and the flag raised before the first game.

Though I am knocking on a bit and admit to having a bit of a dodgy memory nowadays.

Carheenlea
08-07-2017, 11:28 AM
There are flagpoles on the two advertising hoardings either side of the East, so imagine a ceremony of sorts will take place there pre-match on first league game. Who raises it, I'm not sure - Leeann is a bit publicity shy with these things, and Rod might be a divisive choice. Tom Farmer might well be the candidate.

stoneyburn hibs
08-07-2017, 11:34 AM
At the 1999 flag day I had my season ticket in the FF. Never ever forget it, as my oldest (6 At the time) was hanging around at the pitchside and up walked a Hibs official and picked him out to raise the flag. I think I was more excited than the wee man.

Big_Franck
08-07-2017, 11:36 AM
There are flagpoles on the two advertising hoardings either side of the East, so imagine a ceremony of sorts will take place there pre-match on first league game. Who raises it, I'm not sure - Leeann is a bit publicity shy with these things, and Rod might be a divisive choice. Tom Farmer might well be the candidate.

It should be either Lennon or David Gray IMO.

hibbysam
08-07-2017, 11:43 AM
The flag raising takes place on the pitch on a stand normally, and then after that the flag is placed on one of the numerous flagpoles around the stadium.

When we won the league in 1999, it was placed on the pole attached to the North end of the old East IIRC.

H18 SFR
08-07-2017, 11:45 AM

Perfect opportunity for a competition for a fan to raise it.

stoneyburn hibs
08-07-2017, 11:47 AM
The flag raising takes place on the pitch on a stand normally, and then after that the flag is placed on one of the numerous flagpoles around the stadium.

When we won the league in 1999, it was placed on the pole attached to the North end of the old East IIRC.

It was the opposite side.

Seveno
08-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Frank Dougan told me that the flag would be raised once and the put away in a drawer. There is little glory in winning a league that we should never have been in.

Bill Milne
08-07-2017, 11:58 AM
There was something similar when we were promoted in 1981. IIRC, there was a flagpole attached to the south end of the Main Stand and the flag raised before the first game.

Though I am knocking on a bit and admit to having a bit of a dodgy memory nowadays.

IIRC Tom Hart allowed the flag to be raised at the first home league game and never allowed it to be flown again!!

Carheenlea
08-07-2017, 11:59 AM
Frank Dougan told me that the flag would be raised once and the put away in a drawer. There is little glory in winning a league that we should never have been in.

I understand his sentiment, but we were where we were, and I think we should show a little bit of humility and fly the flag. To not fly it would also be a bit disrespectful to our fellow championship competitors from las seasons campaign in my opinion.

SaulGoodman
08-07-2017, 12:00 PM

This statement drains the life out of me. We deserved to be in that league because we finished second bottom and still contrived to be the only Prem team so far to lose the play-offs. We then took 3 seasons to get out the championship so clearly it wasn't some minor blip.

I'll celebrate Hibs winning anything.

Hamish
08-07-2017, 12:15 PM
Not had a flag debate for a wee while now

BigT-Hibeez
08-07-2017, 12:24 PM
https://youtu.be/bAvxqGnVO2w

Iggy Pope
08-07-2017, 01:45 PM
IIRC Tom Hart allowed the flag to be raised at the first home league game and never allowed it to be flown again!!

I recall stories that flags flew above that stand in perpetuity at one time....:cb

Roxyhibee
08-07-2017, 02:18 PM
https://youtu.be/bAvxqGnVO2w

This is very funny and sums up perfectly how I feel about all national flags. People hanging them out windows, in their gardens, etc. Embarrassing unless your having a bit of sporting rivalry with them.

Hope we do not fly the Championship flag at anytime either.