PDA

View Full Version : Oli shaw

CRAZYHIBBY
07-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Not seen any threads on him..scored a good goal but apart from that how did he do last night?. Does he look ready for the first team

Vault Boy
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
He grew into the game and deserved his goal, but has a bit of work to do before being ready to stay in the senior squad IMO. Needs to bulk up for sure, but clearly, he's a natural goalscorer.

yonder1875
07-07-2017, 12:02 PM
The new Garry O'Connor, I heard.

wookie70
07-07-2017, 12:05 PM
Took a while to get into it and was very easily bundled off the ball on the first half. He's a big lad so another year or so of strength and bulk and he could be a great player for us. He could work a bit on pace too but he makes good runs and when we got the ball in the box he was in good positions

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2017, 12:12 PM
Not ready yet, needs at least a season on loan scoring goals.

Andy74
07-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Thought he looked a bit out of his depth to begin with - scored a great header though.

A loan would probably be more useful for him than the odd five minutes here and there this season.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2017, 12:16 PM
He needs a bit weight added. Quite lightweight.

As he settled though you could see he was tecnically sound and he looked to the predatory instinct that good strikers have. Just before his goal he got in a good position and just headed over then for his goal he saw what McGinn was doing and took a lovely wee step backwards to create space for himself.

worcesterhibby
07-07-2017, 12:24 PM
get him in the team for the League Cup matches, playing with the big team will accelerate his development much faster than being loaned to some league 1 side.

Tamhere1875
07-07-2017, 12:37 PM
Let the laddie show what he can do in the league cup games he's 19 and full of potential.

SirDavidsNapper
07-07-2017, 12:40 PM
Needs to bulk up a fair bit. Plenty gym work and maybe a loan to Championship or L1.

Sean1875
07-07-2017, 12:40 PM
What sort of level do folk reckon would best suit him for loan this year if he was to go out ? Championship or Div 1? I know it's probably hard to judge based on one game last night though, just don't know too much of the laddie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamhere1875
07-07-2017, 12:41 PM
If he goes out on loan then let it be to a championship club.

hfc rd
07-07-2017, 12:44 PM
If he goes out on loan then let it be to a championship club.

Ideally this but as long as he gets game game time. No point sending him to a championship club if he doesn't get time on the park there.

B.H.F.C
07-07-2017, 12:46 PM
Needs to play games. Providing we get a striker or two in he isn't going to do that here. Thought he looked a bit off being ready for the first team. Loan is best option IMO.

Billy Whizz
07-07-2017, 01:43 PM
Ideally this but as long as he gets game game time. No point sending him to a championship club if he doesn't get time on the park there.

Keep him at Hibs, right age to be making appearances from the bench and the odd start

HibeeMassive
07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
He's a boy who's determined to make it - definitely not one of the 'George St' crew

Spent his holiday abroad in the gym every morning, no drink, totally committed to getting in shape for the season ahead. He's definitely got potential, could maybe do with a bit more upper body strength but that'll all come I'm sure.

MWHIBBIES
07-07-2017, 01:48 PM
He's a boy who's determined to make it - definitely not one of the 'George St' crew

Spent his holiday abroad in the gym every morning, no drink, totally committed to getting in shape for the season ahead. He's definitely got potential, could maybe do with a bit more upper body strength but that'll all come I'm sure.Sounds like a proper athlete, good luck to him.

BlackSheep
07-07-2017, 01:48 PM
get him in the team for the League Cup matches, playing with the big team will accelerate his development much faster than being loaned to some league 1 side.

Agreed, where better to develop than with the first team in such matches as the league cup. He was on loan with Stenhousemuir last year and had a good end to the season.

Keep him and blood him.... we have no their options st the moment!!

Centre Hawf
07-07-2017, 02:02 PM
I'd keep a hold of him and let him fight for a place. He looks like he has a few bits and bobs about him, as a few mentioned he needs to bulk up but for me playing in a team like ours with chances being created for him will suit him better than going on loan to a team that may struggle in that department.

poolman
07-07-2017, 02:05 PM

Spent his holiday abroad in the gym every morning, no drink, totally committed to getting in shape for the season ahead. He's definitely got potential, could maybe do with a bit more upper body strength but that'll all come I'm sure.

Think it will come as well

I'm not too sure about this bulking up etc thing, if that's his natural build so be it

I seem to remember players like Alan Gordon and Peter Cormack never had to 'bulk up'

bill_reed
07-07-2017, 02:09 PM
why do Hibs condition team not talk to the SRU... they seemed to do really well at bulking up young player without them losing any speed... sure they could learn some tips...

makaveli1875
07-07-2017, 02:18 PM
why do Hibs condition team not talk to the SRU... they seemed to do really well at bulking up young player without them losing any speed... sure they could learn some tips...

Get him on the Conrad Logan diet :greengrin

Jonnyboy
07-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I thought he started nervously but grew into the game, especially after Graham went off and Simon Murray partnered him in the second half. The movement from that pairing was very good.

Billy Whizz
07-07-2017, 02:43 PM
I thought he started nervously but grew into the game, especially after Graham went off and Simon Murray partnered him in the second half. The movement from that pairing was very good.

Think Murray was the key, stretched the game, and gave Oli more space to play in

Jonnyboy
07-07-2017, 03:39 PM
Think Murray was the key, stretched the game, and gave Oli more space to play in

Good point, Billy

J-C
07-07-2017, 04:31 PM
Lennon said himself he wanted to play Shaw last season but couldn't due to his loan, I think we'll see a lot of him this season.

AlbertK86
07-07-2017, 06:03 PM
Think he'd be useful coming off bench to start with

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Pretty Boy
07-07-2017, 06:13 PM

I'm not too sure about this bulking up etc thing, if that's his natural build so be it

I seem to remember players like Alan Gordon and Peter Cormack never had to 'bulk up'

Bulking up might be the wrong term but to make it in the nodern games players need solid core and upper body strength. Look at the cup winning pictures of Lewis Stevenson 9 years apart to see an example.

Shaw got bullied a wee bit in the 1st half last night. That's not having a go, just an observation, and I'm sure it's something Hibs will work on.

Keyser Sauzee
07-07-2017, 07:11 PM

Completely different game nowadays to the players u referenced, for shaw to make a real impact he will defo need to get stronger physically as his ability alone won't be enough.

poolman
07-07-2017, 08:05 PM
Completely different game nowadays to the players u referenced, for shaw to make a real impact he will defo need to get stronger physically as his ability alone won't be enough.

How is it a different game nowadays ?

If anything the game was a lot more physical then

I remember players like John Greig and Roy Barrie getting steamed in without a fear of a booking

Smartie
07-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Riordan didn't get shrugged off the ball too much. He just built his game around his strengths.

Players can sometimes lose what makes them special by bulking up in the wrong way.

I wasn't at the game but I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I do love a natural goal scorer.

Foritza
07-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Young Boy needs time to improve his game . Not ready for SPL .would benefit from experience of loan. Needs to bulk up dominate and hold the ball to bring in other players. His goal was courtesy of JM.

snooky
07-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Great to hear that. It speaks volumes about his correct attitude to becoming a true pro.

Keyser Sauzee
08-07-2017, 06:43 AM
How is it a different game nowadays ?

If anything the game was a lot more physical then

I remember players like John Greig and Roy Barrie getting steamed in without a fear of a booking

Those players may have steamed into tackles back then but there is definitely more focus on physique and strength in today's game than there was back then, players need to be athletes these days which wasn't necessarily the case back then.

3pm
08-07-2017, 07:02 AM
I think he'll be part of the squad.

Souter96Mac
08-07-2017, 07:05 AM
Part of me would like to see him stay in the first team squad and try and compete with the likes of Murray and new signings, but then i also think he may benefit from a loan spell to a championship club, like a dumbarton. Always love when homegrown youngsters break into the team, but need to be wary to not put them in too early and knock confidence.

Heisenberg
08-07-2017, 07:07 AM
His goal on Thursday was a very nice header. All depends on signings but if his game time with us will be limited then surely a loan to the Championship/League One would be beneficial for him.

Jones28
08-07-2017, 07:25 AM
The lads need to be in and around the squad IMO, at 19/20 they should be getting opportunities to show what they can do. The golden generation were an exceptional group but they benefited massively from getting and taking their chances. These lads won't see much benefit from going to Edinburgh city on loan again.

frazeHFC
08-07-2017, 07:34 AM
He certainly has an eye for goal as we saw last season in the development squad. I just hope he doesn't turn out like David Crawford. Clearly had ability but was too lightweight and struggled to make it at our level. Hopefully Shaw bulks up over the next year, that and some experience in and around the team and he should turn out a really decent prospect.

B.H.F.C
08-07-2017, 07:44 AM
The lads need to be in and around the squad IMO, at 19/20 they should be getting opportunities to show what they can do. The golden generation were an exceptional group but they benefited massively from getting and taking their chances. These lads won't see much benefit from going to Edinburgh city on loan again.

I don't think they should go down to league two. But if there is an opportunity to get a regular game in the championship then it would be much better for them than playing 15 or 20 minutes here or there. Particularly Porteous who is only just 18. I just don't see him or Shaw getting enough football with us to develop enough this year. I think we might see a bit more of Murray though, possibly helped by the fact there is a bit less pressure playing in his position.

Big L
08-07-2017, 11:22 AM
Keep him at Hibs, right age to be making appearances from the bench and the odd start

Totally agree, I don't think their is anything to be gained by sending him to some part time lower league club. He's with coaches who know his game and know what areas he needs to improve. He can turn out for the dev team and be on the bench for the 1st team, he's to valuable a prospect to take risks with when he is so close to 1st team football.

Ryan69
08-07-2017, 11:28 AM
What sort of level do folk reckon would best suit him for loan this year if he was to go out ? Championship or Div 1? I know it's probably hard to judge based on one game last night though, just don't know too much of the laddie!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really sure if SFL is a good bet for someone so lightweight. Full of hammer throwing clumsy defenders.
Maybe better off around first team squad,playing a few minutes here and there,playing cup games in the progress.
plus some upperbody training.

Slavers
08-07-2017, 12:17 PM
He is scoring goals, id keep him as part of the first team squad and give him game time here. If he continues to score then keep him in the squad if not then loan out at Christmas to get more experience but I have the feeling he will hold a place in the hibs squad by scoring for the first team.

Phil MaGlass
08-07-2017, 12:44 PM
Dont understand folk saying loan him out, no play him and his game and strength will grow. If he is good enough get him in. Hes 19 ffs not 12

SingaporeHibs
08-07-2017, 02:00 PM
Dont understand folk saying loan him out, no play him and his game and strength will grow. If he is good enough get him in. Hes 19 ffs not 12

I agree, at 19 he is either worth having around the squad or not. Cummings 3 years ago or 2 years ago even didn't have a game other than the ability to score goals and even he missed most of his chances. Cummings best all round game only came out last season. If the lad is going to make it he'll make it sooner staying within the club and getting chances when it comes around. Goal scorers know the way to score, the rest of the game comes in time. I don't think loaning him out makes a huge difference. He's training Everyday with the team, he'll play plenty 20's games and he should probably make our bench of the current squad. He played the other night and scored, if he does that every time he plays he'll start games soon enough. GGTTH

Andy74
08-07-2017, 02:06 PM

Problem is he's not quite good enough yet and the question is how will he improve most? Playing development games and the odd few minutes here and there or playing most weeks on loan?

Getting him and others in to develop in time is a lovely thought but I'm afraid very much at odds with expectations made clear on other threads that anything less than 4th place would be failure.

Heisenberg
08-07-2017, 02:15 PM
I'd want him properly put out on loan instead of one of those development efforts if he was to go.

StevieCowan
08-07-2017, 02:23 PM
I'd want him properly put out on loan instead of one of those development efforts if he was to go.

You mean training full time with another team and not playing for Hibs 20's?

Heisenberg
08-07-2017, 02:24 PM
You mean training full time with another team and not playing for Hibs 20's?

Yeah. Don't think he got much of a chance to play 90 mins at Stenny because of it.

hibeemikey21
08-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Yeah. Don't think he got much of a chance to play 90 mins at Stenny because of it.

Difficult one if the club is only part-time though

SingaporeHibs
08-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Problem is he's not quite good enough yet and the question is how will he improve most? Playing development games and the odd few minutes here and there or playing most weeks on loan?

Getting him and others in to develop in time is a lovely thought but I'm afraid very much at odds with expectations made clear on other threads that anything less than 4th place would be failure.
Andy, I'm just not sure that the 90 minutes in the 1st team a week is the make or break for his development. Professionals train all week to be ready for the challenge ahead. Of course anyone playing 90 mins week in and out gain match experience but the level of training is where the majority of development is done. The match experience is the icing on the cake. If this lad is a real prospect, at 19 he should be about the first team. Maybe a stato can give us the stats but I bet not many players over the age of 20 ever break through after that age to have Long standing career at our club.

Andy74
08-07-2017, 03:10 PM
Andy, I'm just not sure that the 90 minutes in the 1st team a week is the make or break for his development. Professionals train all week to be ready for the challenge ahead. Of course anyone playing 90 mins week in and out gain match experience but the level of training is where the majority of development is done. The match experience is the icing on the cake. If this lad is a real prospect, at 19 he should be about the first team. Maybe a stato can give us the stats but I bet not many players over the age of 20 ever break through after that age to have Long standing career at our club.

Training takes you so far. You need to play matches.

Recent loans have allowed players to continue to train with us during the week but play proper football on the Saturday.

lord bunberry
08-07-2017, 03:39 PM
This is his season, sending him out on loan won't achieve as much as keeping him and giving him game time when appropriate. We'll hopefully know by the end of the season whether he's got it or not.
If he does go out on loan it has to be to a full time club.

Tamhere1875
08-07-2017, 05:02 PM

And how do you make out he's not quite good enough yet. Having saw him in all his games for the development team last year I myself think he's ready but like you it's not up to me it's up to the manager whether he thinks he's ready or not.

500miles
08-07-2017, 05:20 PM
If he's scoring goals, he's ready. Far too many folk expecting the complete player before he's kicked a ball in anger for our first team.

Billy Whizz
09-07-2017, 05:00 PM
If he's scoring goals, he's ready. Far too many folk expecting the complete player before he's kicked a ball in anger for our first team.

I agree, we'd be crazy to send him out on loan. He's a goal threat, and did well in his limited appearance today, almost scored the winner

hibby6270
09-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Almost the perfect cameo role today. His shot that hit the bar was the kind of instinctive strike a natural striker has in their locker. I say keep him in the squad.

hfc rd
09-07-2017, 05:08 PM
Based on the two performances I've seen from him (Dunfermline & Sunderland) I think he's worth keeping. Obviously still need to sign another striker like a Stokes, Moult but Oli has shown he's good enough to be challenging for a 1st team spot from what I've seen so far.

ian cruise
09-07-2017, 05:17 PM
Based on the two performances I've seen from him (Dunfermline & Sunderland) I think he's worth keeping. Obviously still need to sign another striker like a Stokes, Moult but Oli has shown he's good enough to be challenging for a 1st team spot from what I've seen so far.

Motherwell gave Moult a chance, granted through a signing not as a youngster but still, now fans like us are desperate to sign him while Motherwell are quoting 1/2 a million plus to teams that want to sign him. This is Oli's time, let's keep him around the first team and let him have a chance.

Andy74
09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
Motherwell gave Moult a chance, granted through a signing not as a youngster but still, now fans like us are desperate to sign him while Motherwell are quoting 1/2 a million plus to teams that want to sign him. This is Oli's time, let's keep him around the first team and let him have a chance.

Moult had played like 100 first team games at various clubs before joining Motherwell. It's not comparable at all!

J-C
09-07-2017, 06:30 PM
Moult had played like 100 first team games at various clubs before joining Motherwell. It's not comparable at all!

Andy the lad's a natural goal scorer, his instinctive shot which hit the junction of the bar showed that, keep him in the squad, play him in most of the league cup games and give him regular 10-15 minutes of league games to get him accustomed, we've had this discussion elsewhere, if he's good enough he's old enough.

ian cruise
09-07-2017, 06:45 PM

It tenuous granted but he was languishing in the lower league after Stoke dumped him, it wasn't until Well took a chance on him that brought him in to everyone's attention. Regardless of the scenario, youngster awaiting their chance or someone in the lower leagues, they need someone to give them a chance to show what they can do. If we wait too long he might not progress to be the player he could be, at least not with us.

edwards
09-07-2017, 06:45 PM
We have lost Keatings, Cummings and Holt

We Have Graham, we have bought Murray who could do with a bit of physical training but has scored 2 in 2 so far, we have Oli Shaw who has great potential and should be part of the squad. I feel Lennon will go for one other forward and keep Graham until he sees how Shaw will do in the first half of the season.

How I would like to see Cifti up the forward line if Stokes has other plans.

BSEJVT
09-07-2017, 06:46 PM
Andy the lad's a natural goal scorer, his instinctive shot which hit the junction of the bar showed that, keep him in the squad, play him in most of the league cup games and give him regular 10-15 minutes of league games to get him accustomed, we've had this discussion elsewhere, if he's good enough he's old enough.

Torn on how to develop him to be honest

He looked very lightweight and raw but in his short time on the pitch he probably should have scored with the bar / post shot.

Being in the right place at the right time is as a much a knack as trainable, see Cummings, McCoist, Robertson & Riordan, physically nothing to offer, with Shaw having the advantage because of his height.

I would personally keep him with the squad till Xmas (that presumes we sign another two strikers if not he will need kept longer) and see how much he has played / how much he develops and send him out on loan at that point if need be.

I think he will though eventually break into the team permanently and do well, maybe not for another couple of seasons though.

Andy74
09-07-2017, 06:57 PM
It tenuous granted but he was languishing in the lower league after Stoke dumped him, it wasn't until Well took a chance on him that brought him in to everyone's attention. Regardless of the scenario, youngster awaiting their chance or someone in the lower leagues, they need someone to give them a chance to show what they can do. If we wait too long he might not progress to be the player he could be, at least not with us.

Which is why I think he needs to play games just now. We will probably sign another two strikers and chances are he will struggle to get any playing time.

The bits of his game that need to improve would be helped by playing football a step or two down.

Northernhibee
09-07-2017, 07:32 PM
I actually thought he offered a little more than Simon Murray today. Murray put in a hell of a lot of work but his first touch was shocking - his goal was somewhat of a saving grace but thought Oli got into good positions, tracked back, got stuck in and was very unlucky not to win the game for us.

ian cruise
09-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Which is why I think he needs to play games just now. We will probably sign another two strikers and chances are he will struggle to get any playing time.

The bits of his game that need to improve would be helped by playing football a step or two down.

Yeah I'm in complete agreement. If he isn't showing anything in the first team come Jan then let him go out on loan but let's give him a chance and see what he can do.

Libby Hibby
09-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Much rather have Shaw as an option than Samaras that has been muted.

Andy74
09-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Let's not get daft. Samaras is a proven international class player with almost 50 goals the last time he played in this league.

hfc rd
09-07-2017, 10:16 PM
We have lost Keatings, Cummings and Holt

We Have Graham, we have bought Murray who could do with a bit of physical training but has scored 2 in 2 so far, we have Oli Shaw who has great potential and should be part of the squad. I feel Lennon will go for one other forward and keep Graham until he sees how Shaw will do in the first half of the season.

How I would like to see Cifti up the forward line if Stokes has other plans.

Simon Murray has only scored 1 so far.

Onceinawhile
10-07-2017, 10:19 AM

That's gone quiet now though. 😂

Ryan69
10-07-2017, 10:34 AM
Let's not get daft. Samaras is a proven international class player with almost 50 goals the last time he played in this league.

Which was how long ago?

Maybe we can bring back Sauzee also while were at it.

Aubenas
10-07-2017, 10:43 AM
That's gone quiet now though. 😂

😂😂😂😂👍

Andy74
10-07-2017, 10:56 AM
Which was how long ago?

Maybe we can bring back Sauzee also while were at it.

If you want but I'd prefer we kept it to players that are still playing and at a good age. Samaras is 31 and played for Real Zaragoza last season.

Sauzee is 51 and hasn't played in 16 years.