PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Retail Income

Speedway
07-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Does anyone know the nature of our deal is on the club shop side?

The reason I ask is that I happen to know some figures from a small League 1 side's club shop in England and was astonished.

They are a matter of public record so I can share them here:

May 2016 Sales: £145,536.43
May 2017 Target: £155,600.00
May 2017 Actual: £167, 687.59

This isn't commercial revenue for the month, this is club shop sales only.

Strip launch is obviously a massive part of those numbers but the club has an average crowd of under 5,000 for last season.

If those figures were representative of an average month, it would allow a contribution of over £2m to be made to the club coffers, which is astonishing given the size of club it is.

I wonder what contribution Hibs get from the shop and what those funds are used for.

Anyone know?

Also, why can't we afford seat covers for our dugouts?

Peevemor
07-07-2017, 09:50 AM

The reason I ask is that I happen to know some figures from a small League 1 side's club shop in England and was astonished.

Strip launch is obviously a massive part of those numbers but the club has an average crowd of under 5,000 for last season.

If those figures were representative of an average month, it would allow a contribution of over £2m to be made to the club coffers, which is astonishing given the size of club it is.

I wonder what contribution Hibs get from the shop and what those funds are used for.

Anyone know?

Those are sales figures - not profit. There may well be periods (eg. end of season) when a club shop might run at a loss once staff costs and other overheads are taken into account.

Big_Franck
07-07-2017, 09:51 AM

Anyone know?

Those figures are impressive for a league 1 side. I'd imagine our sales for June would be even higher. There's no way their total would be anywhere near 2m though as there's a huge spike in sales during the launch of new kits and during the summer.

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2017, 09:55 AM

Anyone know?

The short answer to your question, from me, is "no, I don't know". We don't break our income down. And, I suspect, the shop profits won't be ring-fenced for anything in particular.

However, your £2m has to be broken down to take account of:-

VAT (c.£330k)
Cost of buying stock
Staff costs
Overheads

And, as you say, those sales figures will be peak times for sales.

Thus it won't be "that" much.

And seat covers for the dug-outs? FFS, man.... if the subs are no good enough for the park, let them get splinters; that'll motivate em. :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
07-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Aberdeen did £2m of retail sales in last published accounts.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
Aberdeen did £2m of retail sales in last published accounts.

Aberdeen's accounts are very suspicious. They have a massive turnover on much lower crowds than us or Hearts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibby Bairn
07-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Aberdeen's accounts are very suspicious. They have a massive turnover on much lower crowds than us or Hearts.

I think they have very high relative commercial income streams.

Ozyhibby
07-07-2017, 01:06 PM
I think they have very high relative commercial income streams.

Which is strange in itself given the state of Aberdeen's economy just now. I'm intrigued as to how they do it.

Billy Whizz
07-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Which is strange in itself given the state of Aberdeen's economy just now. I'm intrigued as to how they do it.

Think we all are. Think it's a signifcant sum, check their last accounts

CraigHibee
07-07-2017, 08:58 PM

Money going in through the back door?

CropleyWasGod
07-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Auditors are extremely sensitive to money-laundering these days, so I'd be surprised.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
07-07-2017, 09:08 PM

Not sure how they are doing it. Their accounts don't offer much of a breakdown but the difference is massive. I think their turnover was about £13m last season.

pacorosssco
07-07-2017, 11:14 PM
Time for heros dvd at 20 plus must make up large part of these figures. Must be way up against years before?

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 11:35 PM

Anyone know?

Sales tells you half the story, as my boss says it's dead easy to be busy fools!

bigstu
07-07-2017, 11:36 PM

Just look around Pittodrie, Aberdeen have the likes of BP & Shell sponsoring them, whereas Hibs have the local chippy & barbers. Similar situation with their corporate packages, often sold out to big oil firm, whilst Hibs have to try & sell to individual season ticket holders.
Being a one team city makes a massive difference, backing the local football team is given great value. In Edinburgh you have to choose which side you are supporting & then you risk losing customers who support the other side.

ian cruise
08-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Just look around Pittodrie, Aberdeen have the likes of BP & Shell sponsoring them, whereas Hibs have the local chippy & barbers. Similar situation with their corporate packages, often sold out to big oil firm, whilst Hibs have to try & sell to individual season ticket holders.
Being a one team city makes a massive difference, backing the local football team is given great value. In Edinburgh you have to choose which side you are supporting & then you risk losing customers who support the other side.

Edinburgh is full of plenty financial institutions we could/should be trying to leverage. Scottish Widows, Blackrock, Aberdeen Asset Management to name a few. I'd say RBS but Ozy might hand his season ticket back!

monktonharp
08-07-2017, 10:44 PM

Anyone know?

Also, why can't we afford seat covers for our dugouts?Interesting notes, but I can tell you that the shop has probably lost upwords of £150-£200 from my house alone this season add to that, the probable loss of over £400 for the last 3 years. They have constantly lost my trust by not having children's sizes, infant sizes, adult sizes of basic strips and many times I have been disappointed given the fact that they have never had the full alphabetical list of names/numbers to be put on strips all on the same day. I stopped going, almost 4 years ago.

danhibees1875
08-07-2017, 11:42 PM
Edinburgh is full of plenty financial institutions we could/should be trying to leverage. Scottish Widows, Blackrock, Aberdeen Asset Management to name a few. I'd say RBS but Ozy might hand his season ticket back!

Financial institutions rarely have sponsorship deals in sports. I don't think they would see the average football fan as being their target audience in the same way as gambling and drinks companies do.

Hibby Bairn
09-07-2017, 03:24 AM
Financial institutions rarely have sponsorship deals in sports. I don't think they would see the average football fan as being their target audience in the same way as gambling and drinks companies do.

Apart from RBS Six Nations. Or Barclays/Aberdeen Asset Mgt Scottish Open. Or Standard Life with Andy Murray.

Problem lies with SPFL and TV coverage. And of course general product.

pacorosssco
09-07-2017, 03:34 AM

No they pump millions to rugby.formula 1. Tennis. Hockey and footy on quiet but only to secure box for client. Target audiencec is rich and getting them best seat in the house

proud_and_green
09-07-2017, 04:59 AM
We should be a bit more cute about this and take a leaf out of the infirm book. for years they have done joint deals which avoids the issue of sponsors alienating part of the population. Good for everyone.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Twiglet
09-07-2017, 06:05 AM
Apart from RBS Six Nations. Or Barclays/Aberdeen Asset Mgt Scottish Open. Or Standard Life with Andy Murray.

Problem lies with SPFL and TV coverage. And of course general product.

Aegon also sponsor the tennis and the parent company sponsor Ajax. I don't see them doing a Hibs sponsorship as it'd upset a bunch of the staff.

green day
09-07-2017, 06:39 AM
Aegon also sponsor the tennis and the parent company sponsor Ajax. I don't see them doing a Hibs sponsorship as it'd upset a bunch of the staff.

Aegons tennis sponsorship deal has just ended (officially post Wimbledon) and are not main sponsor of Ajax any more.

In the UK Aegon looked at all types of sports sponsorship opportunities 8 years ago, and came up with tennis as it hit the mark for target demographic, as well as opportunities to put cash into grassroots (eg money for floodlighting at meadows tennis courts) which ticks CSR boxes - plus lots of opportunity to host clients at branded events.

Football was frankly too expensive, didn't target the right market for Aegon and some other potential sports were mid cycle.

As to sponsoring Edinburgh football clubs? Never happen. Scottish Equitable used to sponsor Hearts in a very small way, but that's only because the then Chief Exec was a Jambo.

It's nothing to do with upsetting staff (that's never a consideration 😀) but more that the big pension providers in Edinburgh are UK / multinationals and derive a very small % of their profits from Scotland, so it makes no business sense.

Phil MaGlass
09-07-2017, 08:06 AM

I dont know if thats right about Shell and BP being sponsors, but their owner is seemingly loaded.

marinello59
09-07-2017, 08:17 AM
I dont know if thats right about Shell and BP being sponsors, but their owner is seemingly loaded.

They don't. During the heyday of the oil boom they had hospitality packages booked for the entire season but Aberdeen didn't manage to get the major cash boost you would have expected.
Their new director has got serious money though.

Keith_M
09-07-2017, 08:27 AM
The figures in the first post are for a single month, which don't necessarily occur throughout the whole year. It would be more informative to know what their average yearly profit is.

As for Aberdeen's turnover, they're bound to have a lot higher TV money than Hibs for one thing, having finished much higher in the league, plus any money from European Competition. That probably doesn't account for a large part of the difference, though, and I have a feeling their owner is subsidising them

erin go bragh
09-07-2017, 09:48 AM
Time for heros dvd at 20 plus must make up large part of these figures. Must be way up against years before?
I thought they figures were for an English lge 1 club .
Surley after winning the cup in May 2016 , our figures will be higher .

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2017, 09:59 AM
The figures in the first post are for a single month, which don't necessarily occur throughout the whole year. It would be more informative to know what their average yearly profit is.

As for Aberdeen's turnover, they're bound to have a lot higher TV money than Hibs for one thing, having finished much higher in the league, plus any money from European Competition. That probably doesn't account for a large part of the difference, though, and I have a feeling their owner is subsidising them
Subsidies from the owner wouldn't be included in the turnover figures though.

Keith_M
09-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Subsidies from the owner wouldn't be included in the turnover figures though.

I was thinking along the lines of 'sponsorship', like City's owners putting money in via the Stadium naming rights.

Though I've no evidence to support such an assumption (but that never stops me ;-) )

CropleyWasGod
09-07-2017, 10:55 AM
I was thinking along the lines of 'sponsorship', like City's owners putting money in via the Stadium naming rights.

Though I've no evidence to support such an assumption (but that never stops me ;-) )

The sponsorship income in their last accounts was £1.8m, which seems reasonable.

The main question seems to be about their "commercial income" of £4.7m, and how that is so high. Unfortunately, we don't analyse our income in the published accounts, which makes comparisons difficult.

However, their staff costs, at £6.8m, are much higher than ours (£3.7m), which suggests that the additional costs are incurred by the commercial operation. How much profit is generated (in either case) is difficult to tell.

Bottom line, though.... we made a profit on a much smaller turnover. They made a loss.

Hibby Bairn
09-07-2017, 12:56 PM
The sponsorship income in their last accounts was £1.8m, which seems reasonable.

The main question seems to be about their "commercial income" of £4.7m, and how that is so high. Unfortunately, we don't analyse our income in the published accounts, which makes comparisons difficult.

However, their staff costs, at £6.8m, are much higher than ours (£3.7m), which suggests that the additional costs are incurred by the commercial operation. How much profit is generated (in either case) is difficult to tell.

Bottom line, though.... we made a profit on a much smaller turnover. They made a loss.

133 staff (including players/coaching) which seems high.

fatbloke
09-07-2017, 09:19 PM

That will be all that wool they trade in:greengrin