hibbydad
06-07-2017, 10:32 PM
Terrible warm up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought Pennant played well tonight

Andy74
How was he today?

Thought he was very good. Great eye for a pass, great free kick and composed finish for the goal.

Like everyone else he had some poor touches and passes but think he just has that bit of quality to be a bit of an asset for us.

nonshinyfinish
Terrible warm up

:agree: One of the worst I've not seen.

Sioux
06-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Spent 25 minutes jogging about, hardly kicked a ball. Never made a pass, no shots on target, no tackles and clean shorts.

Billy Whizz
06-07-2017, 10:34 PM
:agree: One of the worst I've not seen.

What did I miss?

DavidDavidGray
06-07-2017, 10:36 PM
Was good tonight I thought, took a while to get going but that's expected as it's the first pre-season game. Hit a beauty of a free-kick and showed good composure for his goal

GreenCastle
06-07-2017, 10:37 PM
The guy probably has the most experience out of any one on the pitch.

Played in the champions league final against Kaka, Seedorf, Maldini etc

Must be thinking what am I doing at East End Park!

Did well - hardly broke sweat - decent freekick - 1 terrible corner - 1 goal - not bad for a 34 year old.

Test will be against a fitter / quicker team who are better.

B.H.F.C
06-07-2017, 10:39 PM
You can see he has something.

We have been screaming out for players that can chip in with goals from midfield and can make a difference at that end of the pitch. He showed tonight that he could do that.

All that said, I still think Lennon is right to take his time with this one.

Hibeewilly
06-07-2017, 10:40 PM
He had a couple of nice touches the free kick was terrific - it looked in to me but swerved at the last minute. He took his goal really well. Lennon gave him a good Pat on the back when he came off so he seemed pleased with his performance - would be a good addition I think

Andy74
06-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Looks like he will be played in another couple of games before a decision is made.

wookie70
06-07-2017, 11:45 PM
I thought he did ok. The goal was very well taken. He never really looked to take a man on and didn't really whip any balls in from open play. He linked well with SDG at times and did as well as most in the first half.

pacorosssco
07-07-2017, 12:02 AM
Hard for any trialist to make impact but id say compare performance v dannys tonight JP looks done and do we need his baggage? But what do I know.

Greentinted
07-07-2017, 02:14 AM
Started off quietly, almost anonymously but slowly grew into the game looking increasingly assured until his free-kick at the end of first half that seemed to free him from whatever shackles were binding him...Personally I'd be quietly confident he has something to add to what could well develop into a more than decent squad/team. Definitely would like to see him feature again, hopefully in a proper game.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 02:41 AM
I'd rather we had a hungry young Scot. Pennant will do a job but he won't be doing it for buttons. It's players like this at this stage in his career that's damaging our game.

GreenLake
07-07-2017, 03:55 AM
I'd rather we had a hungry young Scot. Pennant will do a job but he won't be doing it for buttons. It's players like this at this stage in his career that's damaging our game.

Take them to the Carousel like in Logan's Run. :agree:

Andy74
07-07-2017, 06:47 AM

Was Sauzee damaging the game?

I'm not bothered how old players are or where they come from. If they add something to the squad that's all that matters. He scored a goal and hit the bar in his first match and he's still being criticised. Mental.

Smartie
07-07-2017, 07:17 AM

It's players like Holt, Brewster and Sauzee that help our youngsters develop and improve our game.

I suspect Lennon will currently be assessing whether or not Pennant falls into the good, experienced pro who can still make a positive contribution category or whether he falls into the washed-up journeyman one.

We've had players in the past (such as Kuqi) who didn't cut it on the park but still had the manager speaking highly of them as they left.

hibbycraig
07-07-2017, 07:18 AM

Just cos a player is a 'hungry young scot' dusny mean they will be any good tho.

ian cruise
07-07-2017, 07:28 AM

We don't know that he won't be doing it for buttons. Pennant will have made his money, maybe now he just wants to play football at as good a level as he can? There must be something about either the club or the coaching he's taken with as he's come up and played as a trialist two seasons in a row. We're not going to be paying mega money so must be something else.

While I'd love an exciting young Scottish prospect too if we don't have one just now I'm happy for older players who have performed at the top level to come in for our young player to learn from, as long as they can still perform themselves when called upon. Think Holt is a good example of that. Jace definitely benefited from him and he played his part (goals vs Hearts, etc) when needed.

Moulin Yarns
07-07-2017, 07:29 AM
Any truth that he was flagging towards the end?

Marco G
07-07-2017, 07:30 AM
I'd rather we had good players of any age or nationality. And who do the hungry young players learn from? Maybe from a guy who has played at a top level?

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Jim44
07-07-2017, 07:41 AM

No idea, but it's not the end of the world if he's not a 90 minute player. Used inventively by Lennon, with his experience, he could have a lot to offer the club. It's understandable that his reputation goes before him, but if he can rise above that, I would give him a chance.

jacomo
07-07-2017, 07:45 AM
I imagine Pennant drives a Transit van these days with all the baggage he carries.

But if he's committed then he would be a good addition.

bingo70
07-07-2017, 07:46 AM
I imagine Pennant drives a Transit van these days with all the baggage he carries.

But if he's committed then he would be a good addition.

What baggage does he carry now that'd have any relevance?

jacomo
07-07-2017, 07:53 AM
What baggage does he carry now that'd have any relevance?

Normally when looking to employ someone you take their cv into account, no?

Past behaviour is not a guarantee of future performance. But it's normally a good indicator.

Andy74
07-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Normally when looking to employ someone you take their cv into account, no?

Past behaviour is not a guarantee of future performance. But it's normally a good indicator.

Lennon said last night he's been a great character to have around.

What he might have done off the park when he was younger isn't relevant.

neil7908
07-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Must admit I wasn't keen on us signing Pennant when I heard he was in training with us but will trust Lennon and his staff to make the right decision.

Coults1875
07-07-2017, 08:09 AM
Surprised no one has compared Pennant to Commons, similar age and career scenarios such as lack of game time in recent years and wanting to move into a potential coaching role if possible.

On paper who would you choose the guy that's been in and around a fair amount of premier league clubs or someone that knows the scottish game?

hibbie02
07-07-2017, 08:14 AM

:wink: I saw what you did there.... :wink:

Andy74
07-07-2017, 08:15 AM
Surprised no one has compared Pennant to Commons, similar age and career scenarios such as lack of game time in recent years and wanting to move into a potential coaching role if possible.

On paper who would you choose the guy that's been in and around a fair amount of premier league clubs or someone that knows the scottish game?

Commons appears to be injured though.

SlickShoes
07-07-2017, 08:24 AM
Why do folk think that Pennant is after one big last payday with Hibs? Everyone knows we have a wage structure, he will as well, if he plays well enough to earn himself a deal then that's great. If not we can forget all about it.

Hibrandenburg
07-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Just cos a player is a 'hungry young scot' dusny mean they will be any good tho.

I was a hungry young Scot and now have the middle aged waistline to prove it. I could still do a job for a pub team though.

The Spaceman
07-07-2017, 08:31 AM
Champions League Finalist who played for Liverpool and Arsenal? Would bring great experience to our squad in the absence of Holt. Would imagine, like Holt, he will still have that footballing brain to counter his age appropriately.

Johnny_Leith
07-07-2017, 08:36 AM
Players who look after themselves should be able to play until they're in the late 30's. 34 is nothing, why are people getting hung up on his age? All good squads need a mixture of youth and experience.

Crazyhorse
07-07-2017, 08:43 AM
:wink: I saw what you did there.... :wink:

Yeah good one for the sailors out there. Lets up we don't end up paying-off Pennant.

eastmainsmsh
07-07-2017, 09:00 AM
Great player

Keyser Sauzee
07-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Does he still look like he has some pace left?

neil7908
07-07-2017, 10:24 AM
Players who look after themselves should be able to play until they're in the late 30's. 34 is nothing, why are people getting hung up on his age? All good squads need a mixture of youth and experience.

As I've said previously I'll let Lennon decide and trust his judgement but it's not so much his age but the trajectory his career has been on. Bury and then the Singaporean league don't shout out to me a player still retaining his skill and desire.

But the club are clearly taking a very close work and if they are happy then fair enough.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I don't know Jermaine or the ins and outs of his past.

People grow up at different rates and learn from different mistakes though. Maybe at 34 he has realised whilst he has made a lot of money from the game he hasn't always utilised the opportunities he has had and maybe he just wants to keep playing out of an enjoyment and love of the game. Maybe his motivation is to have an enjoyable last couple of years at a level he feels he can contribute. Equally he could just fancy what he sees as easy cash for a season, a few nights out in Edinburgh, an easy ride and then swan off into retirement.

The truth is nobody knows how motivated he is or what he has to offer based on either what he has done before or the 55 minutes we saw of him last night. Neil Lennon has obviously see enough in training to suggest he is worth an extended look at and I'm sure he'll make the best decision for Hibs.

hughio
07-07-2017, 10:51 AM
I don't know Jermaine or the ins and outs of his past.

People grow up at different rates and learn from different mistakes though. Maybe at 34 he has realised whilst he has made a lot of money from the game he hasn't always utilised the opportunities he has had and maybe he just wants to keep playing out of an enjoyment and love of the game. Maybe his motivation is to have an enjoyable last couple of years at a level he feels he can contribute. Equally he could just fancy what he sees as easy cash for a season, a few nights out in Edinburgh, an easy ride and then swan off into retirement.

The truth is nobody knows how motivated he is or what he has to offer based on either what he has done before or the 55 minutes we saw of him last night. Neil Lennon has obviously see enough in training to suggest he is worth an extended look at and I'm sure he'll make the best decision for Hibs.

Quite right PB
:agree:

.....but his wiki entry makes very colourful reading!!

CRAZYHIBBY
07-07-2017, 10:58 AM
He's played against some of the best players in the world at the highest level and still a far better player than most of those playing in scotlands top flight...i don't care what baggage he has as long as he can do a job for hibs

greenlex
07-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Was Sauzee damaging the game?

I'm not bothered how old players are or where they come from. If they add something to the squad that's all that matters. He scored a goal and hit the bar in his first match and he's still being criticised. Mental.
We will never know. If there was a Scottish player who could have done as good a job on the wage he was on then the answer would be yes.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Conversely just because they were a player a number of years ago doesn't mean they will be much use now.just more expensive with no or little added value and possibly stifle a youngsters development into the bargain.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 12:04 PM
Oh and for the record I'm not saying I don't want him just stating a preference.

Andy74
07-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Conversely just because they were a player a number of years ago doesn't mean they will be much use now.just more expensive with no or little added value and possibly stifle a youngsters development into the bargain.

You're making a general judgement there that older players are expensive and adding little or no value.

That's just nonsense. Every player, regardless of age will be judged on what they can bring now to the team.

If there's a cheaper, younger version in the club or available then teams aren't generally daft enough to not take advantage of that and do it as cheaply as possible.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 12:14 PM
You're making a general judgement there that older players are expensive and adding little or no value.

That's just nonsense. Every player, regardless of age will be judged on what they can bring now to the team.

If there's a cheaper, younger version in the club or available then teams aren't generally daft enough to not take advantage of that and do it as cheaply as possible.
I was replying to the poster who said just because they're a hungry young scot doesn't mean they are any good. I think I made my point.

worcesterhibby
07-07-2017, 12:29 PM
If there was a Scottish player who could have done as good a job on the wage he was on then the answer would be yes.

There hasn't been a Scottish player that could do the job Sauzee did since Paul McStay

Keith_M
07-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Thought he was very good. Great eye for a pass, great free kick and composed finish for the goal.

Like everyone else he had some poor touches and passes but think he just has that bit of quality to be a bit of an asset for us.

Cheers Andy, that sounds quite positive

:aok:

Smartie
07-07-2017, 12:53 PM
There hasn't been a Scottish player that could do the job Sauzee did since Paul McStay

John Collins?

Heedersnvolleys
07-07-2017, 12:57 PM
I think that is it though, a 34 year old that has looked after himself "Aye", a 34 year old that has not looked after himself eh "Nah"

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 01:19 PM

What a bizarre thing to say, damaging our game? Players like Pennant and Holt etc bring a wealth of experience to our game that our own younger players benefit from.

bill_reed
07-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Lennon said he wanted to have a look at him, gave him 55 minuets last night and said he will have another look on Sunday and maybe the Berwick game too... to me that sounds like Lennon think Pennant has something to offer by giving him three games... the fact he scored last night and hit the post, sounds like he off to a good start....

KWJ
07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
Would he become our most expensive player ever? I think it might be Taiwo just now at around £5m if you count before Hibs but Fletcher if counting after.

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
Arse to Birm - £3M
Birm to L'pool - £6.7M
Zaragoza to Stoke - £1.725M with options

Probably more for earlier loans too but that alone totals £13.425 Million.

HoboHarry
07-07-2017, 01:27 PM
John Collins?
Seem to recall Paul Lambert having Zidane in his pocket in a European Cup Final too.......

frazeHFC
07-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I thought he did ok. Was expecting him to look unfit but he certainly didn't. Good free kick and made an intelligent run for his goal which paid off. I think the ovation he got when he went off showed the majority of fans were impressed.

Stevie Reid
07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Would he become our most expensive player ever? I think it might be Taiwo just now at around £5m if you count before Hibs but Fletcher if counting after.

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
Arse to Birm - £3M
Birm to L'pool - £6.7M

Was the Taiwo deal you mention not covering the transfer of him and another youth player?

worcesterhibby
07-07-2017, 02:24 PM
John Collins?

Maybe..to be honest i don't think either McStay or Collins were as good as Sauzee

supermcginn
07-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Maybe..to be honest i don't think either McStay or Collins were as good as Sauzee

Neither could lace his boots

Stevie Reid
07-07-2017, 02:57 PM
I've not rethought things since our Scottish Cup win last year, but both Sauzee (1) and Collins (3) were in my all time top 3 Hibs players - given that Collins was 22 when he left us, and Franck was 34 when he signed, it says a lot for how good both were at their peak.

McStay not even close to either.

blackpoolhibs
07-07-2017, 03:01 PM

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
Arse to Birm - £3M
Birm to L'pool - £6.7M

I think Steven Fletcher has gone for more than that during all his moves?

greenlex
07-07-2017, 03:27 PM
What a bizarre thing to say, damaging our game? Players like Pennant and Holt etc bring a wealth of experience to our game that our own younger players benefit from.
It's not really. Bringing in foreigners instead of Scottish players is definitely damaging our game. The younger players being blocked from the first team and their development pathway is definitely damaging our game. Being loaned out to lower league teams for game time whilst is better than sitting in the stand it's not going to help that much in the long run.

California-Hibs
07-07-2017, 03:30 PM

Notts C to Arsenal - £2M
Arse to Birm - £3M
Birm to L'pool - £6.7M

Tom Taiwo is our most expensive player ever?? Surely not?! Tom....bloody...Taiwo?

A Hi-Bee
07-07-2017, 03:32 PM
It's not really. Bringing in foreigners instead of Scottish players is definitely damaging our game. The younger players being blocked from the first team and their development pathway is definitely damaging our game. Being loaned out to lower league teams for game time whilst is better than sitting in the stand it's not going to help that much in the long run.

It's also a results driven game and how many managers are given the time to build using some experienced players while bring through a crop of youngsters, how long will the boards of clubs not to mention the fickle supporters stand for a run of defeats with a view to building for the future.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 03:33 PM

Our younger players are not currently good enough to make the step up hence the reason they are loaned out. Everyone is saying Shaw looks like he would be better going on loan this season. If you are good enough you are old enough, if you're not then loan game time is best, nowt to do with having an older experiences player in the squad.

hfc rd
07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
I thought he did ok. Was expecting him to look unfit but he certainly didn't. Good free kick and made an intelligent run for his goal which paid off. I think the ovation he got when he went off showed the majority of fans were impressed.

Agree with this.

Lennon seemed pleased with his performance as well. Will just see how he gets on in the next couple of games and if he does well, then let's get him signed up.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 03:34 PM
It's also a results driven game and how many managers are given the time to build using some experienced players while bring through a crop of youngsters, how long will the boards of clubs not to mention the fickle supporters stand for a run of defeats with a view to building for the future.
Absolutely but that's another discussion. Larger leagues and a bit of breathing space would certainly help.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 03:44 PM
Our younger players are not currently good enough to make the step up hence the reason they are loaned out. Everyone is saying Shaw looks like he would be better going on loan this season. If you are good enough you are old enough, if you're not then loan game time is best, nowt to do with having an older experiences player in the squad.
Have to agree to disagree. Look at Hearts over the last few years. They had no choice n]but play their youngsters. They produced a handful of decent players in the process. They have managed to mismanage then since to be fair.
Going further back. Williamson was in a similar position as we cut costs drastically. He played them and we brought through our golden generation. I'm not even saying they have to be home grown yoUngsters either. There must be players from other clubs that might not be too big a gamble that can be brought in as we did with John McGinn. Similar type deal with a larger sell on clause. I'll give you Lewis Morgan as an example. IMO I think he would give just as much in the park as Pennant. Personally I'd prefer that to a foreigner. Develop the Scots.
Not against an exceptional player from abroad but IM not sure we can afford them.

silverhibee
07-07-2017, 03:49 PM

The damage was done when the SPFL/SFA got rid of the reserve league, was a great learning curve for young players coming through the ranks in clubs in Scotland.

greenlex
07-07-2017, 03:50 PM
The damage was done when the SPFL/SFA got rid of the reserve league, was a great learning curve for young players coming through the ranks in clubs in Scotland.
Agree with that Silver.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 04:30 PM
Have to agree to disagree. Look at Hearts over the last few years. They had no choice n]but play their youngsters. They produced a handful of decent players in the process. They have managed to mismanage then since to be fair.
Going further back. Williamson was in a similar position as we cut costs drastically. He played them and we brought through our golden generation. I'm not even saying they have to be home grown yoUngsters either. There must be players from other clubs that might not be too big a gamble that can be brought in as we did with John McGinn. Similar type deal with a larger sell on clause. I'll give you Lewis Morgan as an example. IMO I think he would give just as much in the park as Pennant. Personally I'd prefer that to a foreigner. Develop the Scots.
Not against an exceptional player from abroad but IM not sure we can afford them.

I agree to an extent, the Hearts youngsters being an example of maybe we should take a gamble on a few of our own more often. I know there is a case of saying if you throw them in to early then you could damage their confidence and self belief but can't help thinking that some may be good enough to rise to the challenge and breakthrough even when it doesn't look likely. It's pretty frustrating the amount we have out on loan who seem a prospect but never return to us to make it. Maybe they should cut their teeth at a higher level instead.

NORTHERNHIBBY
07-07-2017, 04:35 PM
Whether it is Pennant or Samras or Stokes or Berry or even Lafferty , the decision is Lennon's to make and you either trust him or you don't.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Whether it is Pennant or Samras or Stokes or Berry or even Lafferty , the decision is Lennon's to make and you either trust him or you don't.

We all know that but we are allowed to have a discussion giving our opinions on it, nothing to do with trusting the manager or not.

silverhibee
07-07-2017, 05:18 PM
I agree to an extent, the Hearts youngsters being an example of maybe we should take a gamble on a few of our own more often. I know there is a case of saying if you throw them in to early then you could damage their confidence and self belief but can't help thinking that some may be good enough to rise to the challenge and breakthrough even when it doesn't look likely. It's pretty frustrating the amount we have out on loan who seem a prospect but never return to us to make it. Maybe they should cut their teeth at a higher level instead.

Because they don't learn anything when they go on loan, basically they are just getting game time, sending young lads to the bottom league is a joke, it is not pretty stuff, infact it's horrible watching teams in the bottom league, the football on show is dire, would i send young lads out on loan to Edinburgh City, no chance, what are they going to learn, nothing, the manager can't pass on any experience as he doesn't have any apart from the level he is at, will they learn anything from the players around them, probably not as it will be young lads playing alongside our loanees.

Don't just through players out on loan for the sake of it, make sure the club has a experienced manager and a few older player in the team that are coming to the end of there careers that will tutor the players through games and help them develop, the loan players have to be hungry for it as well and if they show that older heads in the team will help our young players.

Our development league set up in Scotland is not developing young lads. :greengrin

ancient hibee
07-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Because they don't learn anything when they go on loan, basically they are just getting game time, sending young lads to the bottom league is a joke, it is not pretty stuff, infact it's horrible watching teams in the bottom league, the football on show is dire, would i send young lads out on loan to Edinburgh City, no chance, what are they going to learn, nothing, the manager can't pass on any experience as he doesn't have any apart from the level he is at, will they learn anything from the players around them, probably not as it will be young lads playing alongside our loanees.

Don't just through players out on loan for the sake of it, make sure the club has a experienced manager and a few older player in the team that are coming to the end of there careers that will tutor the players through games and help them develop, the loan players have to be hungry for it as well and if they show that older heads in the team will help our young players.

Our development league set up in Scotland is not developing young lads. :greengrin

Agree with you about the lack of a reserve league but not all that you say about loans.Two important parts of a loan are to let players make their mistakes where they don't affect their own club or the fickle supporters who are to quick to judge them and to help them develop the physicality necessary for the top level.Incidentally Porteous improved at Edinburgh City and was part of the second best defence in that league.He now gets a chance to experience the Championship this coming season which should bring him on further.

Hibrandenburg
07-07-2017, 10:04 PM

How's that worked out for England? The premiership is the richest league in the world but the national team is ordinary at best.

Andy74
07-07-2017, 10:21 PM
Agree with you about the lack of a reserve league but not all that you say about loans.Two important parts of a loan are to let players make their mistakes where they don't affect their own club or the fickle supporters who are to quick to judge them and to help them develop the physicality necessary for the top level.Incidentally Porteous improved at Edinburgh City and was part of the second best defence in that league.He now gets a chance to experience the Championship this coming season which should bring him on further.

Aye. Porteous has been talking about the learning curve in playing against small 17 year olds to big tough centre forwards that nip you and elbow you.

I think it's a good thing to get a dose of proper tough football away from the development league games.

Scouse Hibee
07-07-2017, 11:15 PM
How's that worked out for England? The premiership is the richest league in the world but the national team is ordinary at best.

How you have switched from club to country is beyond me, different ball park! Would love you to explain how being the richest league in the world full of foreigners literally has helped the youngsters. Let's be realistic and compare eggs with eggs eh!! I am talking about a few experienced players in our squad. Well done for getting the England dig in though, even though England have **** all to do with the conversation I applaud your creativity!!

Baader
07-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Farming young players out on loan, at the right time in their development, is a good thing. It toughens them up and they get to play proper competitive league matches as opposed to playing against similar aged kids where the end result of a match isn't quite so important.

It also makes them realise how much an opportunity they have being at a club like Hibs and the prospects on offer if they work hard. Training alongside part-timers or guys who had ability but didn't knuckle down and now make less of a living out of the game than they probably should have. Used correctly with the right player and right club it will benefit us.

pacorosssco
07-07-2017, 11:35 PM
Aye. Porteous has been talking about the learning curve in playing against small 17 year olds to big tough centre forwards that nip you and elbow you.

I think it's a good thing to get a dose of proper tough football away from the development league games.

We should move players up quickly as possible. Challenge is what improves a player. First team footy soon as possible via loan system or straight in if good enough

Hibrandenburg
08-07-2017, 07:48 AM
How you have switched from club to country is beyond me, different ball park! Would love you to explain how being the richest league in the world full of foreigners literally has helped the youngsters. Let's be realistic and compare eggs with eggs eh!! I am talking about a few experienced players in our squad. Well done for getting the England dig in though, even though England have **** all to do with the conversation I applaud your creativity!!

Behave. It wasn't a dig at England, they're the obvious comparison to use when discussing what effect the influx of foreign players has on a domestic league and the impact of that on the national team. It's been part and parcel of the English league as far back as I can remember and only really became a problem in Scotland after Bosnan. There's an argument to be made that countries who have their best players playing in foreign leagues benefit on a national level because it's those players who bring back experience to the national team instead of the other way round like is being suggested here. The best Scotland team that I ever saw was the one in the 70's where the majority of the team were legionnaires. Think you're being over sensitive and playing the racist card is out of order.

Scouse Hibee
08-07-2017, 08:19 AM
Behave. It wasn't a dig at England, they're the obvious comparison to use when discussing what effect the influx of foreign players has on a domestic league and the impact of that on the national team. It's been part and parcel of the English league as far back as I can remember and only really became a problem in Scotland after Bosnan. There's an argument to be made that countries who have their best players playing in foreign leagues benefit on a national level because it's those players who bring back experience to the national team instead of the other way round like is being suggested here. The best Scotland team that I ever saw was the one in the 70's where the majority of the team were legionnaires. Think you're being over sensitive and playing the racist card is out of order.

To be honest I never considered myself to be playing the racist card or you so no worries there. I never really consider a dig at English football to have racist connotations, likewise if I berated Scotland. Anyway back to subject, as I said I am talking about one or two experienced players and the benefits they bring, pretty sure Cummings said how much he benefitted from Holt's presence last season.

Heisenberg
09-07-2017, 03:10 PM
How did he get on today?

DTS
09-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Looked good to me again today I'd give him a year

Northernhibee
09-07-2017, 03:19 PM
I'd sign him.

overdrive
09-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Puts in good balls into the box. I think he's worth a punt.

snooky
09-07-2017, 03:24 PM

100% true. As plain as the nose on your face but the officials don't see it.

makaveli1875
09-07-2017, 03:24 PM
Puts in good balls into the box. I think he's worth a punt.

who cares if he puts good crosses in , he's pish in the warm ups :greengrin

Pretty Boy
09-07-2017, 03:30 PM
He could well play himself into a deal. Confident on the ball and his vision is still there, couple of really good passes and crosses today.

kaimendhibs
09-07-2017, 03:58 PM
I thought he did well todat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

neil7908
09-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Tbh I don't think he really had enough time to make an impression on me.

Real Emerald
09-07-2017, 04:55 PM
I thought he did well todat

He didn't really do anything! I'm not saying he was bad but to say he did well is stretching it a bit, he should do ok in a friendly with all his experience and talent.

H18 SFR
09-07-2017, 04:58 PM
I wasn't that impressed with Pennant during the week but I thought he did much better today, particularly his work off the ball taking defenders away to create space for others.

Andy74
09-07-2017, 05:00 PM
I wasn't that impressed with Pennant during the week but I thought he did much better today, particularly his work off the ball taking defenders away to create space for others.

Which is weird seeing as he was excellent during the week, scoring and hitting the bar, and he didn't have much chance to do too much today.

Seen enough though to think the suggestion he was finished 5 years ago is nonsense.

kaimendhibs
09-07-2017, 05:04 PM
He played a lovely ball for SDG to cross for Murrays goal. Linked up well. All about opinions i suppose

Johnny_Leith
09-07-2017, 05:23 PM
He played a lovely ball for SDG to cross for Murrays goal. Linked up well. All about opinions i suppose

McGinn played the ball to SDG, not Pennant.

kaimendhibs
09-07-2017, 05:26 PM
McGinn played the ball to SDG, not Pennant.Ouch. Need new glasses

Peevemor
09-07-2017, 05:27 PM
From what I saw on Hibs tv I thought he looked good. Good first touch and very comfortable on the ball. He looks like he knows what he wants to do with the ball well before it reaches him.

Borderhibbie76
09-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Although he wasn't involved a lot we looked more of an attaching threat when he came on

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hfc rd
09-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Thought he did well when he came on. Still way to early to make a verdict if he's worth a contract or not. I trust NL to make the correct call.

09-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Thought he did ok today. Wasn't up at Dunfermline on Thursday night but my mate who was said he was MOTM.

Maybe worth a years contract.

hibbymark
09-07-2017, 05:55 PM
I'm in the still not sure camp. As for MOM at Dunfermline not for me . IMO Boyle has looked superb in both games and at this moment in time I don't think Pennant is better than either Keatings or Fyvie who we've let go. We have to start getting players like Fraser Murray into the first team. East Mains has to start producing first team players.

He does however have something about him ,which you'd expect for a guy who has played at the level he has. If he is up here paying for his own travel,hotels etc and is showing he's desperate to come here he may be worth a punt . I just don't see him turning it on week in week out at Dingwall,Hamilton etc. I also wouldnt want us to be paying him as one of our highest earners which I imagine he would be.

We have to make sure we get maximum bang for our buck this year to complete at the top end of the league and if his wage was the reason we couldn't sign Moult from Motherwell or Ali Crawford from Hamilton or pay a few quid for a goal scorer I wouldn't want him

Real Emerald
09-07-2017, 06:03 PM
I'm in the still not sure camp. As for MOM at Dunfermline not for me . IMO Boyle has looked superb in both games and at this moment in time I don't think Pennant is better than either Keatings or Fyvie who we've let go. We have to start getting players like Fraser Murray into the first team. East Mains has to start producing first team players.

He does however have something about him ,which you'd expect for a guy who has played at the level he has. If he is up here paying for his own travel,hotels etc and is showing he's desperate to come here he may be worth a punt . I just don't see him turning it on week in week out at Dingwall,Hamilton etc. I also wouldnt want us to be paying him as one of our highest earners which I imagine he would be.

We have to make sure we get maximum bang for our buck this year to complete at the top end of the league and if his wage was the reason we couldn't sign Moult from Motherwell or Ali Crawford from Hamilton or pay a few quid for a goal scorer I wouldn't want him

Agree with everything you said here. :top marks

#persevered
09-07-2017, 06:21 PM
I'm sure Lennon will make the right call. I wasn't sure after Dunf game but today his touch was better, some great passes, couple of dangerous crosses, he's a threat from set pieces, scores goals. I like the look of him, his quality is there even if the pace isn't anymore.

jakedance
09-07-2017, 06:23 PM
I thought he improved us a bit when he came on. I was watching him with the rest of the squad and his effort warming up doing the drills and his attitude looked spot on. We should sign him up. His quality will get us points, like Commons last season.

J-C
09-07-2017, 06:36 PM
He may have lost some pace but his brain is still top notch, some lovely wee deft flicks and quick passing with on or two lovely wee dink passes over their defenders, if Lennon can keep him focused and enthusiastic he could be an important player for us.

SChibs
09-07-2017, 06:58 PM
Thought he did well when he came on. Still way to early to make a verdict if he's worth a contract or not. I trust NL to make the correct call.

Disagree with way to early, he's been in for weeks and has played 2 games as a trialist and there is only one more friendly to go. I think lennon is probably gonna give him an offer but will play him on Tuesday for another look

col02
09-07-2017, 07:04 PM
I think he's a step up from Humphrey and has a presence about him. Plenty more to come from him I think. Hopefully see him start against Berwick.

Unseen work
09-07-2017, 07:07 PM
Peach of a ball to Boyle for the Graham chance.

GreenPJ
09-07-2017, 07:12 PM
I think he's a step up from Humphrey and has a presence about him. Plenty more to come from him I think. Hopefully see him start against Berwick.

I personally saw nothing. He didn't look for the ball the way mcgeoch McGinn or Swanson did. When he got the ball he never tried to beat a man. Ok some nice passes but I honestly think we would get the same out of a youngster without the cost or the baggage.

Swedish prince
09-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Ouch. Need new glasses

He came inside with the ball and passed to mcginn which brought gray more space in the lead up to the goal as defender followed him

Hibby70
09-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Must admit I did find the mackems song about him quite funny. "We thought you were dead..."

On a separate note auto spellcheck for mackems is "backend" on my phone. Quite apt after Cattermoles performance.

eastcoasthibby
09-07-2017, 07:24 PM
You can see his awareness and intelligence with his.movement drifting in, holding his.position and keeping simple possession ..though I did think he took he.took a good 10minutes to settle.into the game.
I think its a real dilemma as to just how much of our wage.budget.he.will want against what we.will get.from him, if the wage isn't silly I would keep him, think he is creative, experienced, and will give us something different.

SlickShoes
09-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Probably worth having since he's played OK and can take a free kick as currently we don't have any dead ball expert since Jason is gone.

Billy Whizz
09-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Probably worth having since he's played OK and can take a free kick as currently we don't have any dead ball expert since Jason is gone.

Only Swanston, Martin Boyle and Oli Shaw

Zazu62
09-07-2017, 07:41 PM
I'm not to sure about him, doesn't really have pace. Humphrey looked better

hibsboy69
09-07-2017, 07:43 PM
Only Swanston, Martin Boyle and Oli Shaw

I like Boyler.....but I've never heard him described as a "Dead Ball Expert" !!!!! :faf:

H18 SFR
09-07-2017, 08:03 PM
I like Boyler.....but I've never heard him described as a "Dead Ball Expert" !!!!! :faf:

I think Boyle is one who could ultimately leave for a decent fee this time next year if he continues to improve under Lennon.

hfc rd
09-07-2017, 10:12 PM
Disagree with way to early, he's been in for weeks and has played 2 games as a trialist and there is only one more friendly to go. I think lennon is probably gonna give him an offer but will play him on Tuesday for another look

For me personally, it is way to early to decide if he's good enough for a contract is what I was meaning. I've only seen him twice (Dunfermline & Sunderland). I did mention that I trust Lennon to make the correct call if he is to be kept as he'll know better than us.

neil7908
09-07-2017, 10:18 PM

I think that's one area where we are a bit short. Think Swanson can hit a decent dead ball but that's about it.

All the crosses today were dealt with pretty easily by the keeper.

If only there was someone we could get who was known to us and could deliver a decent cross...

On another note, I really like a midfield 3 of McGinn, Bartley and McGeough. If we can keep them all fit and add a couple of forwards then we'll be in a great position.

BigT-Hibeez
09-07-2017, 11:03 PM
I say sign him up!! Looked like a class player today, calmed the team down when he came on..

Stan the Man
09-07-2017, 11:38 PM
I think Boyle is one who could ultimately leave for a decent fee this time next year if he continues to improve under Lennon.

Could be a big season for Boyle. He is looking confident and a bit stronger.

The Leith Dutch
10-07-2017, 06:47 AM
Could be a big season for Boyle. He is looking confident and a bit stronger.

Always had a lot of time for Boyle.

He's quick and he generally gives you a good shift.

Seen a lot of criticisms about him being wasteful in front of goal but then you look at stats for last season:
Boyle:
[ 1 goal per 5 shots ] (41 shots, 68% on target, 8 goals)

Cummings:
[ 1 goal per 3.5 shots ] (69 shots, 64% on target, 19 goals)

Murray:
[ 1 goal per 6 shots ] (62 shots, 47% on target, 10 goals)

Dobbie:
[ 1 goal per 6 shots ] (120 shots, 49% on target, 19 goals)

He's actually pretty effective. Not Cummings effective but on a par with pretty much everyone else in the division last season.
If anything the issue is him not having enough shots - possibly a result of him being played wide?

GreenPJ
10-07-2017, 07:55 AM
I say sign him up!! Looked like a class player today, calmed the team down when he came on..

What did he do to calm the team down? For me the turning point in second half was when mcginn decided he had enough and started bossing the game. The move to 2 up front also helped.

Smartie
10-07-2017, 08:36 AM
What did he do to calm the team down? For me the turning point in second half was when mcginn decided he had enough and started bossing the game. The move to 2 up front also helped.

It did.

Murray was too isolated in the first half but still did his best.

Graham actually had a fine game when he went on. Good knock back to Shaw for the effort that hit the bar and by being big, physical and challenging for every high ball he gave their defenders a lot to think about. He made a decent contribution in his own box on several occasions too.

I thought Pennant did well when he went on and based on the little I saw yesterday I'd be happy to see him join.