PDA

View Full Version : Goal assist from the terracing (or near miss) ?

scm70nyd1973
06-07-2017, 05:37 AM
Bored with the ' mibbies aye mibbies naw ' of the incoming players and for some bizarre reason I started thinking of how many times (only once in 50 odd years) of when the ball went out of play and right to me.

I was at the back of the west - shed end at the time - and the ball came to me - don't know how I did it but I chucked it straight into the arms of Bobby Thomson and he - unusually - took the throw - and it came to zilch.

Made me think - has anyone had a goal assist or near to it from throwing the ball back into play ?

Silly season thread I know but maybe there is someone out there who can say - yup !

Viva_Palmeiras
06-07-2017, 06:00 AM
Dunno bout that but there was a preseason at Raith when the floodlights failed in monsoon conditions where the highlight for me was a fan heading a stray shot in practice smack back onto the pitch.

Alfiembra
06-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Can only remember returning the ball once at a game against Dundee and didn't provide any assist.
Best I can come up with is "catching" Arthur Duncan at the old shed end when he couldn't stop himself from falling over the barrier after delivering a cross.
More of a case of landed on top of me.

weecounty hibby
06-07-2017, 06:31 AM
While playing the Jambos of ER. The ball came to me in the west lower. We used to sit right behind the away dugout. I caught it and threw it back. It "accidentally" sconed Malofeev right on the dome!!

BSEJVT
06-07-2017, 07:11 AM
My daughter had always wanted to catch the ball

I caught it late last season and gave it her to throw back on the pitch

She sconed some poor guy a few down further down on the back of the napper.

No assist though :-(

ancient hibee
06-07-2017, 08:00 AM
Napper Todd in the Hotspur was ballboy for his team at Wembley in the Cup Final .In the last minute ,and drawing, the fearsome opposing centre forward hit a ferocious shot just past the post.Napper took a flying header to get the ball to his goalie who took the bye kick right away up to his centre forward who cracked in a thirty yarder to win the cup.All seemed very feasible to me at the time(aged 8).Unfortunately in many years I have been unable to replicate this.In fact the only time I tried to catch the ball it bounced up,hit me in the face and burst my nose.The best attempt by a fan to influence a game was the pretty well known one when in a relegation battle the ball was launched up to the top of the terracing where it was caught and kicked into the car park to waste time.

Keith_M
06-07-2017, 11:57 AM
The one and only time I've caught the ball when it went out of play was when I was about 13, and I was amazed how bl**dy hard it was.

We obviously had only ever played with much lighter versions at school.

Roxyhibee
06-07-2017, 12:10 PM
No, but I have usually always been in the upper parts of the ground. The closest was when I had a seat in the FF Upper for a few years - especially during the warm up.

Would have like to though - chances must be increased this season for all of us at the derbies with Laffatmee playing..

Did get hit by one of Topper Headons drum sticks at The Apollo in 1981 though. Still have it.

bournehibby
06-07-2017, 09:04 PM
Napper Todd in the Hotspur was ballboy for his team at Wembley in the Cup Final .In the last minute ,and drawing, the fearsome opposing centre forward hit a ferocious shot just past the post.Napper took a flying header to get the ball to his goalie who took the bye kick right away up to his centre forward who cracked in a thirty yarder to win the cup.All seemed very feasible to me at the time(aged 8).Unfortunately in many years I have been unable to replicate this.In fact the only time I tried to catch the ball it bounced up,hit me in the face and burst my nose.The best attempt by a fan to influence a game was the pretty well known one when in a relegation battle the ball was launched up to the top of the terracing where it was caught and kicked into the car park to waste time.

Was in the Dunbar end for a Summer Cup game against Killie 1964 ? Hibs were warming up in the goal where we were standing. Neil Martin took a shot which narrowly missed the post and blazed into the terracing. As it continued it's flight, I became the "back up Willie Wilson" and raised my hands to stop this missile. Result ? nearly taken of my feet, and a Timex watch scattered in a thousand bits over the South terracing :rolleyes: . we won 3-0 and eventually lifted the Cup later that year.

BigT-Hibeez
06-07-2017, 09:10 PM
Was in the Dunbar end for a Summer Cup game against Killie 1964 ? Hibs were warming up in the goal where we were standing. Neil Martin took a shot which narrowly missed the post and blazed into the terracing. As it continued it's flight, I became the "back up Willie Wilson" and raised my hands to stop this missile. Result ? nearly taken of my feet, and a Timex watch scattered in a thousand bits over the South terracing :rolleyes: . we won 3-0 and eventually lifted the Cup later that year.

I see Neil Martin a lot in my local, i'll let him know he bust your Rolex!!

SChibs
06-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Caught the ball at alloa next to the burger van 2 years ago. Cummings scored second half and we won, I'll take an indirect assist

Hibrandenburg
07-07-2017, 09:16 AM
Used to ball boy at reserve games. I suppose I must have done at some point. :dunno:

One Day
08-07-2017, 08:33 AM
I remember years ago when the boys walked round the track with trays selling juice/sweets etc. The ball was heading out of play and one of those boys headed to back without breaking stride. It made the Gilzean cartoon on the Monday nights news as one of the highlights of the game

My_Wife_Camille
08-07-2017, 08:40 AM
My mate threw a hot dog at Yogi once and hit Andy Millen by mistake

WoreTheGreen
08-07-2017, 10:07 AM
I remember years ago when the boys walked round the track with trays selling juice/sweets etc. The ball was heading out of play and one of those boys headed to back without breaking stride. It made the Gilzean cartoon on the Monday nights news as one of the highlights of the game

Talking of Gilzean just found a Hibs Gilzean book which went up to the early 80's. He use to sell hand drawn badges of any favorite player from his wee shop anyone remember where the shop was

malcky
08-07-2017, 10:22 AM
Talking of Gilzean just found a Hibs Gilzean book which went up to the early 80's. He use to sell hand drawn badges of any favorite player from his wee shop anyone remember where the shop was

Have a vague recollection of going to his shop down off Cockburn street

WoreTheGreen
08-07-2017, 10:29 AM
Yes top off Fleshmarket close now a kabab shop