PDA

View Full Version : The Defence

yerauldda
04-07-2017, 02:27 PM
Getting away from the transfer talk for a while, what do you think the strongest back line will be next season? If all 4 centre back's are fit, who would you play? Back 4 or back 5?

I would have Ambrose as first choice centre back but if we were only to play 2, I'd struggle to pick between McGregor and Hanlon.

Big_Franck
04-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Getting away from the transfer talk for a while, what do you think the strongest back line will be next season? If all 4 centre back's are fit, who would you play? Back 4 or back 5?

I would have Ambrose as first choice centre back but if we were only to play 2, I'd struggle to pick between McGregor and Hanlon.

I'd go with a back 4 of Ambrose, McGregor, Hanlon and Stevenson.

With Fontaine, Gray and maybe Whittaker signing it'll give us good options and plenty cover. If Whittaker doesn't sign i'd like to see us sign another full back than can play both left and rick back if possible.

jonny
04-07-2017, 02:52 PM

McGregor would be the 1st name on the teamsheet for me every week. I think his drive has a huge positive effect right through the team, his defensive capabilities are also fantastic and he's a danger at set pieces. I'd choose Ambrose alongside him in the middle and SDG and Lewis either side.

Lewiehas2
04-07-2017, 02:56 PM
Whittaker at RB (as much as I'd hate for SDG to not be a regular starter), McGregor and Hanlon at centre half and Lewis at left back would be my choice. Nice to have such competent backup though

DavidDavidGray
04-07-2017, 03:01 PM
Just me who'd have Hanlon and McGregor ahead of Ambrose? Feel they work better together and Hanlon is the same quality player as Ambrose, if not better in my opinion

supermcginn
04-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Just me who'd have Hanlon and McGregor ahead of Ambrose? Feel they work better together and Hanlon is the same quality player as Ambrose, if not better in my opinion

Ambrose is different class to those two, If it's a back 4 mines would be Gray ambrose McGregor and Whittaker

greenlex
04-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Depends on who and where we're playing Efe in the midfield could be a winner. Efe and Bartman in front of Hanlon and McGregor could sneak a point of three at Parkhead.

Smartie
04-07-2017, 04:28 PM

Ambrose is different class to those two, If it's a back 4 mines would be Gray ambrose McGregor and Whittaker

I kind of agree with both of you.

It's a bit like the Hansen, Miller and McLeish conundrum.

There's no doubt that Ambrose is the best player, but the other 2 form the best partnership.

I'd probably play the 3 of them, but then we'd have the old problem of our wide players being Gray and Stevenson.

Although with a different balance in midfield, no Cummings and a better spread of goals then this might not be a problem.

ian cruise
04-07-2017, 04:30 PM
If everyone is fit I could quite easily see a back four of Lewis, Hanlon, McGregor, SDG with Ambrose in front of them. Means as well as breaking up attacks before the get to near the goal if Lewis or Gray go forward Ambrose can slot in the back line. He's composed and a good enough ball player to play DM and it also gives him a back up should he have a slip up that everyone bar us believes he is destined to make. He's got a decent shot on him too.

Add that to the fact a proper defensive midfielder means McGeough and McGinn might feel a bit freer to get forward and hopefully we can get a nice pacey attacking team. Forward line of Swanson, Boyle and Murray isn't too terrible to start the season with and we're definitely going to strengthen up front before any windows close.

Plus I read on another thread Graham is scoring 30+ so we're sorted.

Spike Mandela
04-07-2017, 04:43 PM

Until Hanlon got injured last season I had him marked down as our player of the year, in the end McGregor probably took that accolade.

From goalies to the entire back line I don't remember us going into a season with better defensive options.

ancient hibee
04-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Back three in a lot of games next season I think.

AgentDaleCooper
04-07-2017, 04:55 PM

i agree with this, i think hanlon is defensively our best player by miles, dependable and has a calming effect on those around him. ambrose is much better on the ball than hanlon or mcgreggor, but i've felt my heart in my mouth a few times the way he plays. mcgreggor is great for commitment and spectacular blocks and tackles, but hanlon is overall a better CB, i reckon. for example, i don't think aberdeen's first goal in the semi final would have happened in a million years had hanlon and mcgreggor been the CB pairing.

but this said...they are all fantastic players, including fonts :flag::flag::flag::flag:

MWHIBBIES
04-07-2017, 05:05 PM
Back 3 is the future, Stubbs had it right playing it in big games, hopefully Lennon does the same.

B.H.F.C
04-07-2017, 05:29 PM
Back 3 is the future, Stubbs had it right playing it in big games, hopefully Lennon does the same.

Time and place for it depending on who you're playing against.

Plenty big games over the last couple of years have been won with a back four. Semi finals and the Hearts cup ties in both years we played with a four. Even in the cup final, we were losing when we switched from a three to a four.