PDA

View Full Version : (NHC) Pyrotechnics the danger

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2017, 09:12 AM
An independent report has stressed it is impossible to use pyrotechnics safely within spectator areas at football grounds and only properly equipped and trained staff should ever try to deal with them.

Commissioned by Football Supporters Europe and UEFA, the 72-page report has been prepared by Cambridgeshire-based "explosives consultant" Dr Tom Smith and several leading experts from around the continent.

The report lists the various pyrotechnics brought into grounds by fans - everything from bangers to Roman candles - and identifies the serious risks they pose, which include severe burns, acute toxic effects, impact injuries and causing panic.

As Dr Smith concludes: "T here are significant health and safety risks arising from their use in close proximity to other people and in contravention of the safety distances which are specified on the pyrotechnic articles themselves.

"All pyrotechnic devices have a 'safety' distance for good reason and which will exceed the available space within a crowded stand or stadium. It is not safe, therefore, for any pyrotechnic device to be used in spectator areas within football stadia."

UEFA has become increasingly concerned about the use of fireworks, flares and smoke bombs at games and has been fining clubs and countries for failing to stamp out this dangerous practice.

Celtic and Liverpool are among the clubs to have been fined in recent seasons, while Copenhagen were fined for their fans' use of flares at Leicester last season.

Perhaps the most serious incident took place in last summer's European Championships, when pyrotechnics thrown by Croatia fans led to a delay in their game against the Czech Republic and a near miss for a steward who has trying to clear flares from the pitch.

Commenting on the report, UEFA vice-president Michael van Praag, the chairman of the organisation's working group on pyrotechnics, said incidents are currently being reported at more than a quarter of all European club games and this report "proves once and for all that there is no place for pyrotechnics in stands".

Van Praag, who is also president of the Dutch football association, said UEFA was now working with all the national governing bodies to keep them out of grounds.

"UEFA recognises that pyrotechnics might be perceived to be part of fan culture in some countries," Van Praag added. "Many fans will not change their behaviour overnight.

"But the message from this report is clear: pyrotechnic use is putting the health, safety and lives of fellow supporters at risk."

Thecat23
04-07-2017, 09:15 AM
But, but, it adds to the atmosphere 🙄

Since90+2
04-07-2017, 09:19 AM
Probably more danger to your health by standing in the East concourse at half time and inhaling the passive smoke by the hundreds of folk outside having a fag.

JimboHibs
04-07-2017, 09:20 AM
But, but, it adds to the atmosphere 🙄

Are you stating properly trained staff using pyros doesn't add to the atmosphere.

JimboHibs
04-07-2017, 09:22 AM
Probably more danger to your health by standing in the East concourse at half time and inhaling the passive smoke by the hundreds of folk outside having a fag.

This your more likely to sustain damage to your health by taking a stray ball straight in the face.

Andy74
04-07-2017, 09:24 AM
Think we are getting carried away with the one or two small ones we ever get.

Some of the vids online tell me they can't be too bad or there would be far more incidents than there are.

Glastonbury was full of them too.

Andy74
04-07-2017, 09:25 AM
This your more likely to sustain damage to your health by taking a stray ball straight in the face.

Or spilling your bovril. Hot liquids are a proven danger.

Thecat23
04-07-2017, 09:25 AM
Are you stating properly trained staff using pyros doesn't add to the atmosphere.

Nope, I'm talking about the ones the ********s sneak in.

JimboHibs
04-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Think we are getting carried away with the one or two small ones we ever get.

Some of the vids online tell me they can't be too bad or there would be far more incidents than there are.

Glastonbury was full of them too.

Aye but it's football so it's a health issue.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2017, 09:29 AM
Or spilling your bovril. Hot liquids are a proven danger.

Fortunately folk are not yet in the habit of hurling their bovril from the back of the stand, give it time though.

JimboHibs
04-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Nope, I'm talking about the ones the ********s sneak in.

Sorry mate I didn't notice you had mentioned that in your reply,what dangers are they do you know of any as the 72 page report says (below)

Perhaps the most serious incident took place in last summer's European Championships, when pyrotechnics thrown by Croatia fans led to a delay in their game against the Czech Republic and a near miss for a steward who has trying to clear flares from the pitch.

Pretty serious a near miss ? So the pyro never hit the steward but that's perhaps the most serious incident HELLO.

Andy74
Fortunately folk are not yet in the habit of hurling their bovril from the back of the stand, give it time though.

Aren't they? I've seen a few cups hurled.

Anyway, I can see why authorities and Hibs say what they do but personally think the dangers are minimal and overplayed. Particularly with the smaller smoke bombs we tend to see that are used in paint balling and stuff.

hibsbollah
I think it DOES add to the atmosphere, but it also seems as if there's a body of opinion against it in this country. Whether that's down to health and safety concerns or because flares on the pitch are quite a recent development in Scottish football I'm not sure. I was at the Marseille Nice Derby in May, and the pyrotechnics put anything I've seen in Scottish football into insignificance. Both inside and outside the ground you had about an hour of regular, proper big explosions as well as the flares which just get held aloft burning away above groups of ultras. Absolutely mental goings on.

I have no idea if there's regular burn injuries at Ligue 1 games but you're just never going to eradicate ultra culture in mainland Europe, no matter how many reports are written.

green&left
04-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Uefa will be more worried about their precious image than fan safety.

20 smoke bombs and flares during the opening song of The Stone Roses at Hampden and nothing said. One smoke bomb at the fitba and its a health and safety concern with police scotland chapping on doors 4 weeks later :cb:rolleyes:

JIm
04-07-2017, 09:46 AM

Have you never been to ibrox? 😉

Thecat23
04-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Sorry mate I didn't notice you had mentioned that in your reply,what dangers are they do you know of any as the 72 page report says (below)

Pretty serious a near miss ? So the pyro never hit the steward but that's perhaps the most serious incident HELLO.

Many with asthma or chest problem have stated they have had issues after breathing this in.

HappyAsHellas
04-07-2017, 10:05 AM
I was recently at a division 2 game in Crete where there were more flares, smoke bombs and bangers in a 10 minute period than I've seen at ER over the past 5 years. The fans there see it as adding to the atmosphere and openly encourage it, even though it is supposedly illegal. They never seem to have the health issues we do, or maybe they just ignore them as it's part and parcel of the match day experience. I suppose a 70 page report is easier for UEFA to generate as opposed to stamping out corruption, diving, play acting etc etc.

easty
04-07-2017, 10:08 AM
I was recently at a division 2 game in Crete where there were more flares, smoke bombs and bangers in a 10 minute period than I've seen at ER over the past 5 years. .

And how many people were injured?

Andy74
Many with asthma or chest problem have stated they have had issues after breathing this in.

They are used in all sorts of places and serious issues even with people with existing conditions appear minimal.

Folk with those issues will experience problems in all sorts of situations.

Geo_1875

That's not Bovril mate.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2017, 10:10 AM

The point is I have seen plenty of folk stating on here that they have been affected by smoke bombs etc yet can't recall anyone saying they have been scalded at a game. I have been to Ibrox but not recently and really can't see myself returning in the future. Well maybe once they cut out the sectarian stuff ;-)

Geo_1875
04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
They are used in all sorts of places and serious issues even with people with existing conditions appear minimal.

Folk with those issues will experience problems in all sorts of situations.

I've no specific problem with my chest or lungs and it's no fun being right beside a smoke bomb with nowhere to go. Must be hellish for those who do have asthma or worse.

DH1875
04-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Anyone who doesn't like them at the football wouldn't have wanted to have been on the pitch at the Stone roses gig last week. Loads of people had them and were setting them off. Added to the occasion but can't help but think it was a little bit dangerous with so many people stood grouped together.

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2017, 10:12 AM

Yes they have but for some reason this is dismissed on here as being trivial that could happen anywhere!

InchHibby
04-07-2017, 10:14 AM
It doesn't really matter if the authorities have overplayed it or anyone has their personal thoughts on whether we should allow them or not.
The fact of the matter is their banned.
I'm sure those throwing them don't just toss it at their own feet, no, they toss it at somebody else's feet.

Andy74
04-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Yes they have but for some reason this is dismissed on here as being trivial that could happen anywhere!

Pretty much, yes.

These are used large scale in other places and these sorts of issues don't seem to be a real problem.

HappyAsHellas
04-07-2017, 10:17 AM
And how many people were injured?

No injuries whatsoever but the people running about holding them did seem quite happy.

HappyAsHellas
04-07-2017, 10:18 AM
It doesn't really matter if the authorities have overplayed it or anyone has their personal thoughts on whether we should allow them or not.
The fact of the matter is their banned.
I'm sure those throwing them don't just toss it at their own feet, no, they toss it at somebody else's feet.

Not the ones I've seen, not including ER.

Geo_1875
04-07-2017, 10:20 AM
Pretty much, yes.

These are used large scale in other places and these sorts of issues don't seem to be a real problem.

There's a big difference between professional smoke and bangs on a concert stage and some twat chucking them around in a football stand.

Andy74
04-07-2017, 10:23 AM
There's a big difference between professional smoke and bangs on a concert stage and some twat chucking them around in a football stand.

I wasn't talking about professional stuff.

HappyAsHellas
04-07-2017, 10:26 AM
This is the build up to the teams making their entrance when a few devices are let off. Naturally you can see the concerned citizens running to safety.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC5ro6BKqfs&t=4s

NAE NOOKIE
04-07-2017, 10:38 AM

:yawn:

Since90+2
04-07-2017, 10:39 AM
NaeNookie - So the passive smoking from outside the East stand is not a health issue? Its atleast as much of an issue as an occasional smoke bomb , if not more.

NAE NOOKIE
04-07-2017, 10:43 AM
Lets face it .......... when it comes to UEFA if 'pyrotechnics are us' offered to sponsor the sodding champions league for 50 million quid fireworks, flares and smoke bombs would probably become compulsory at European matches and clubs would be fined for not allowing them into their stadiums.

JIm
04-07-2017, 10:43 AM
NaeNookie - So the passive smoking from outside the East stand is not a health issue? Its atleast as much of an issue as an occasional smoke bomb , if not more.

Get UEFA to commission a independent report and then that will draw a line under it once and for all :greengrin.

Who needs a flag debate aye?

NAE NOOKIE
04-07-2017, 10:44 AM

I like smoke bombs :greengrin

sleeping giant
04-07-2017, 10:48 AM
Hibs want it to stop.
End of.

Looks utterly fantastic though :-)

Big_Franck
04-07-2017, 10:52 AM
I've no problem with the smoke bombs, they add to the atmosphere/occasion for me. Hopefully we'll see more of them at Easter Road next season.

Flares are different and I wouldn't be too keen on the guy next to me in the east lighting one up. They seem to do it all over Europe every weekend with barely any problems though.

ian cruise
04-07-2017, 11:10 AM
I've no problem with the smoke bombs, they add to the atmosphere/occasion for me. Hopefully we'll see more of them at Easter Road next season.

Flares are different and I wouldn't be too keen on the guy next to me in the east lighting one up. They seem to do it all over Europe every weekend with barely any problems though.

I've no idea if they're dangerous or not but I was stuck behind a guy running with one at the start of the Tough Mudder and I couldn't see a thing, plus it did make it difficult to breathe, so sod having them go off randomly on the crowd at matches. It's a no from me.

SChibs
04-07-2017, 12:00 PM
A specific section where they are allowed would be great

Bristolhibby
04-07-2017, 12:05 PM

Did you see it? Pretty much blew up in his face. If he was a second quicker getting to it, he'd have lost fingers. It was some sort of maritime flare (initial burst followed by an explosion).

Everyone knows the reduction in "near misses" also has a direct coronation to reduction in death and injury.

Flares are an annoyance. Those things that burn and then go boom are very dangerous and have no business being anywhere near a stadium.

DH1875
04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Anyone who doesn't like them at the football wouldn't have wanted to have been on the pitch at the Stone roses gig last week. Loads of people had them and were setting them off. Added to the occasion but can't help but think it was a little bit dangerous with so many people stood grouped together.

Also, when I think about it. How comes its alright to smoke cigarettes at a concert inside Hampden but not at the football inside Hampden?

Scouse Hibee
04-07-2017, 01:48 PM
Pretty much, yes.

If they are a problem for a few and you or your child happen to be one of the few then it becomes a problem without a doubt regardless.

Baader
04-07-2017, 04:26 PM

Does look good but see the band were complaining of not being able to breathe onstage and that fans don't use them. Doubt anyone actually wants to stand next to someone holding a flare. They're pretty potent!

ian cruise
04-07-2017, 04:47 PM
Also, when I think about it. How comes its alright to smoke cigarettes at a concert inside Hampden but not at the football inside Hampden?

It's not ok to smoke at a concert inside Hampden, it's just harder to police that a game as the crowd on the pitch are much more condensed rather than just standing/sitting in stands.