PDA

View Full Version : Craig thomson

pacoluna
03-07-2017, 09:28 PM
Edinburgh City have signed him believing he has completed his rehabilitation.

Northernhibee
03-07-2017, 09:56 PM
It's a tough one. The prospect of rehabilitation is a fundamental part of our justice and penal system and is an important part in reintroducing offenders into society.

I'd still not be happy if he signed for my club.

Billychaotic182
03-07-2017, 10:00 PM
Wouldn't like watching him play for my club. And if I had a young daughter I'd definitely not want him near my club. Big gamble

silverhibee
03-07-2017, 10:27 PM
Fans of Edinburgh City are already demanding a refund for season tickets they bought, this isn't a gamble, it's f***ing suicide by a family club who are just new to the leagues, they will lose support and be hated by every club in there league, folk can say he has done his time and should be able to get on with life, but FFS he was convicted of grooming minors over a period of time, had he not been caught it may have led to more serious crimes against minors, these folk can never be fully trusted again in life.

Goes against what Jefferies said about him when the incident happened. "you never return from something like that"

calumhibee1
03-07-2017, 10:31 PM
Fans of Edinburgh City are already demanding a refund for season tickets they bought, this isn't a gamble, it's f***ing suicide by a family club who are just new to the leagues, they will lose support and be hated by every club in there league, folk can say he has done his time and should be able to get on with life, but FFS he was convicted of grooming minors over a period of time, had he not been caught it may have led to more serious crimes against minors, these folk can never be fully trusted again in life.

Goes against what Jefferies said about him when the incident happened. "you never return from something like that"

This. I'd hoped Edinburgh City would do well when they got into the leagues, now I hope they get relegated and sink without a trace. One of the biggest youth sections in Edinburgh/Scottish youth football and they've employed a guy who was grooming a 12 year old family friend? Unbelievable. Hell mend them.

cabbageandribs1875
03-07-2017, 10:40 PM
one can only assume the sporting director at Edinburgh City is involved in hiring the player....:agree:

:jamboclow but as some have said, he surely has to get a chance in life again

SirDavidsNapper
03-07-2017, 10:43 PM
If Thomson had an ounce of decency in him he'd have retired from football all together so as to not put others in a position where they feel awkward about who they bring along to games out of principle. Pretty selfish on his part and shows the kind of character he is. If Hibs had employed him (hypothetically) I'd be seriously unhappy and wouldn't be taking my daughter rehabilitated or not. In fact I don't think I'd go along myself.

heretoday
03-07-2017, 10:44 PM
It's a tough one. The prospect of rehabilitation is a fundamental part of our justice and penal system and is an important part in reintroducing offenders into society.

I'd still not be happy if he signed for my club.

My thoughts too.

Greencore
03-07-2017, 10:52 PM
BEAST!!!!

Used to have a wee soft spot for them. Not anymore. Hope they get relegated.

Humo
04-07-2017, 01:28 AM
Just signed for Edinburgh city. Just lost a lot of respect for that club.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/edinburgh-city-sign-shamed-former-hearts-player-craig-thomson-1-4493903

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
04-07-2017, 01:35 AM
http://www.hibs.net/showthread.php?322617-Craig-thomson

:)

Viva_Palmeiras
04-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Already covered

Deansy
04-07-2017, 04:46 AM
Romanov's actions over Thomson have played a big part in this - he didn't exactly boot Thomson out of the door did he ?. If anything, he fought tooth and nail to hold onto him !
This sent out a message as if to say - 'Look, he's not that bad, he's young/foolish, was just a big mistake' etc, etc. Fortunately there's a very tiny % of their fans who are almost decent and they more or less forced Romanov's hand. !.

Unsurprisingly, 'The Scotsman' article on it has no forum - yet anything that remotely paints Hibs in a bad light and it's open-season !

Forza Fred
04-07-2017, 05:56 AM
This has been a risky signing by Edinburgh City.

GoalsMcGinley
04-07-2017, 06:06 AM
Shocker from City. Already know of a few who won't go back while he or anyone involved in his signing are there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Gubbz
04-07-2017, 06:10 AM
Not the worst Craig Thomson in Scottish football

easty
04-07-2017, 06:42 AM

Aye he is.

Pretty Boy
04-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Is there a list of jobs, sports and pastimes anywhere that it is acceptable for criminals to do after they have served their sentence?

Much as I think Craig Thomsons actions were despicable he's going to be playing part time football for Edinburgh City, not living the high life at Barcelona. Is training a couple of times a week and playing on a Saturday endangering children? Does anyone look at Edinburgh City players as role models?

There are obvious reasons why someone like Thomson shouldn't directly work with children. If playing for Edinburgh City is causing a fuss though then it pretty much rules him out of even amateur football.

Tin hat on as I'm aware 'burn the witch' is the only correct response here.

Geo_1875
04-07-2017, 07:04 AM
Is there a list of jobs, sports and pastimes anywhere that it is acceptable for criminals to do after they have served their sentence?

Much as I think Craig Thomsons actions were despicable he's going to be playing part time football for Edinburgh City, not living the high life at Barcelona. Is training a couple of times a week and playing on a Saturday endangering children? Does anyone look at Edinburgh City players as role models?

There are obvious reasons why someone like Thomson shouldn't directly work with children. If playing for Edinburgh City is causing a fuss though then it pretty much rules him out of even amateur football.

I agree. How do you rehabilitate someone by forcing them out of work?

hibee316
04-07-2017, 07:07 AM

Weird comment.

CentreLine
04-07-2017, 07:10 AM

I have to agree with your sentiments. Mob rule is only a heartbeat away even in fairly settled society. The mob mentlity has become more and more apparent with social media and any cause is going to gain popular support. "Burn the witch" is a perfect description for where it's going and it is not healthy.
That is by no means a defense of what the despicable wee git got up to but a comment on the mob mentality that social media can bring to the fore.
Rehabilitation is what our criminal justice system is supposed to promote. Perhaps we could all do with a wee reminder of that. Despicable or not, if he has done his time then that's hiw our system works. Everybody knows to give him a wide berth where it comes to children but lynchings hopefully are a thing of the past.

neil7908
04-07-2017, 07:12 AM

I agree with this. It's clearly a very emotionally charged issue and maybe I'd feel differently if I had kids but I think given the level he's playing at as you've suggested and the fact that I'm sure he'll be kept well away from children then it's right that he's given the chance to rebuild his life.

Having said that, I'm not sure how'd I'd feel if another player with his history joined us. I don't think I'd boycott the club but I'd find it incredibly hard cheering him on if he scored a goal, made a great tackle etc.

calumhibee1
04-07-2017, 07:21 AM

I actually don't disagree with any of this, however I still find it hard to want anything other than Edinburgh City to fail if they're going to have someone like him playing for them.

What I find incredible is the amount of people on the Evening News comments etc telling people how he's an amazing guy and there's two sides to the story that we (or presumably the jury that reached his verdict) don't know about. Basically victim blaming a 12 year old lassie.

lucky
04-07-2017, 07:26 AM
Bad decision by EC. Whilst every criminal has the right to rehabilitation and a fresh start this guy could easily done that out of the public eye. He's not making a living playing for them. He could easily be playing football at amateur and no one would have cared publicly. EC are getting publicity they won't want and don't need

El Gubbz
04-07-2017, 07:30 AM
Weird comment.

From what I remember at the time he met 2 girls online who led him to believe they where over 16? I don't think he actually met up with them like Adam Johnson did he just text them? Happy to be corrected on that though.

Pretty Boy
04-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Bad decision by EC. Whilst every criminal has the right to rehabilitation and a fresh start this guy could easily done that out of the public eye. He's not making a living playing for them. He could easily be playing football at amateur and no one would have cared publicly. EC are getting publicity they won't want and don't need

Shortly after his conviction Thomson took a job as a window cleaner. An honest, manual, low profile job. The Sun done a total hatchet job on him. He looked 'unkempt', his hair 'neede cut', he was carrying his shopping in a 'grubby Tesco bag'. He also got gried from them when he was playing junior football. He crops up in the rags every so often for trivial things even though, as far as I'm aware, he hasn't committed any further crimes in 7 years.

I really don't want to sound like an apologist for the guy but if he's going to get hounded anyway he's probably thought '**** it' and got back into league football.

Pretty Boy
04-07-2017, 07:33 AM
From what I remember at the time he met 2 girls online who led him to believe they where over 16? I don't think he actually met up with them like Adam Johnson did he just text them? Happy to be corrected on that though.

He knew their age.

ian cruise
04-07-2017, 07:35 AM

No, it was a family friend and he admitted he knew what age they were. It's all pretty despicable however as others have stated, he also has to continue his life so its a very difficult situation for all. To continue to make him an outcast heightens risk of future offences rather than giving him a chance to prove he's a changed person. However given the circumstances the authorities have a responsibility to monitor his actions very closely. It's a difficult topic but I have to side on the let's not follow the mob mentality, burn the witch approach, as hard as it may be.

easty
04-07-2017, 07:40 AM

I'm glad he's rehabilitated and that hasn't done it again, but he wasn't fair when he was grooming, I've nae intention of being fair now.

Rehabilitation isn't exoneration. **** him, any grief he's getting now he's brought on himself.

Big_Franck
04-07-2017, 07:44 AM

He knew how old they were as they were the daughters of family friends IIRC. I'm sure they were 10 and 12 years old and his beast like behaviour went on for months. If Hibs signed someone like that I'd hand back my season ticket the same day.

blackpoolhibs
04-07-2017, 08:03 AM

:top marksThere is just the one problem here though, it's football and football fans never forget and rarely forgive.

And why should they in this case?

BSEJVT
04-07-2017, 08:07 AM

utter utter *****

He knew exactly who they were and what age they were and even used to go out with one of their sisters before this occured

There is no question he knew exactly what he was doing, none whatsoever.

Whilst he has ruined his life, lets not forget that it has also harmed theirs.

Out of contrition and decency for them if nothing else he ought not to be putting them through this again.

I hope someone snaps him in half.

I knew the laddie as he was in my daughters class at school.

I know the family of one of the girls very well they / she really don't deserve for this to be dragged up again

Craig_HFC
04-07-2017, 08:13 AM
Edinburgh City can GTF as far as I'm concerned now.

Kept an eye on their results last season hoping they'd do well but I think a lot of folk who wished them well will stop doing so now because of this signing.

Big_Franck
04-07-2017, 08:17 AM
Edinburgh City can GTF as far as I'm concerned now.

Kept an eye on their results last season hoping they'd do well but I think a lot of folk who wished them well will stop doing so now because of this signing.

Agreed. I'd have gone along to the odd game when Hibs were playing away if the weather wasn't too bad. Not a hope in hell i'll be doing that now.

Topographic Hibby
04-07-2017, 08:19 AM
I know the family of one of the girls very well they / she really don't deserve for this to be dragged up again
This is an important point. In fact, it's a thread closer IMHO.

Since90+2
04-07-2017, 08:20 AM
What he done was obviously despicable but in society people who commit crimes (and especially those at a younger age) do deserve the chance to rehabilitate themselves. Whether or not that chance should be given at community club playing at a (relatively) high level in Scotland is up for debate but id think not.

I wouldn't be happy if he signed for Hibs but at the same time I am not going to wish a slow death on Edinburgh City either.

BSEJVT
04-07-2017, 08:23 AM
This is an important point. In fact, it's a thread closer IMHO.

No doubt it would be if this were the only medium it were being discussed on as the family would likely never be aware of it.

Having it spawled all over the papers and some of the ill informed ***** on this thread is sickening.

I am sick of folk trumpeting the rights of the pepetrator, what about the rights of the victims , they were wee girls FFS

dalkeith stu
04-07-2017, 08:39 AM
Shortly after his conviction Thomson took a job as a window cleaner. An honest, manual, low profile job. The Sun done a total hatchet job on him. He looked 'unkempt', his hair 'neede cut', he was carrying his shopping in a 'grubby Tesco bag'. He also got gried from them when he was playing junior football. He crops up in the rags every so often for trivial things even though, as far as I'm aware, he hasn't committed any further crimes in 7 years.

I really don't want to sound like an apologist for the guy but if he's going to get hounded anyway he's probably thought '**** it' and got back into league football.

To be a window cleaner in Midlothian you need a license from the council, similar to taxi drivers, and part of this requires passing a police records check. The sun in this case were within rights to highlight this.

JDT
04-07-2017, 08:43 AM
I've seen alot of Thomson as I watch Bonnyrigg Rose with my dad and he's too good a player to be playing at that level (no disrespect intended) and that is down to his own stupidity. From what I hear he was a real prospect that could have been something special, "a future scotland player' was the quote I got from a hearts fan at work. Now he plays part time football, barely making a living in comparison to what he could have had. That is the punishment for his crimes.

easty
04-07-2017, 08:56 AM
I've seen alot of Thomson as I watch Bonnyrigg Rose with my dad and he's too good a player to be playing at that level (no disrespect intended) and that is down to his own stupidity. From what I hear he was a real prospect that could have been something special, "a future scotland player' was the quote I got from a hearts fan at work. Now he plays part time football, barely making a living in comparison to what he could have had. That is the punishment for his crimes.

Hearts fans thought McHattie was a future Scotland player tae. They've no got a clue.

Thegreenside
04-07-2017, 09:21 AM

Having a bad career is not a suitable punishment for his crimes

E10 Rifle
04-07-2017, 09:40 AM
He has been dealt with as the laws of our land see fit. 5 years on the sexual offenders register and as a consequence of that a promising career ruined. Clearly from the responses in this thread it's a massive risk to EC but at this point I personally wish no further damage on the guy or EC.

Winston Ingram
04-07-2017, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't want him here but he's served his time and has a right to make a living.

BullsCloseHibs
04-07-2017, 09:47 AM
Can you IMAGINE if we draw them at home in a cup?

The sheer abuse would be unparalleled.

BullsCloseHibs
04-07-2017, 09:50 AM
No doubt it would be if this were the only medium it were being discussed on as the family would likely never be aware of it.

Having it spawled all over the papers and some of the ill informed ***** on this thread is sickening.

I am sick of folk trumpeting the rights of the pepetrator, what about the rights of the victims , they were wee girls FFS

Someone with sense. I totally agree with you.
He was caught out and it could have led to something far worse. Only the victim(s) will ever know what this lewd individual did. You just hope it hasn't mentally scarred them (or their families).

Steve-O
04-07-2017, 09:53 AM
I agree. How do you rehabilitate someone by forcing them out of work?

Precisely. You're actually more like to push them towards isolation and potential reoffending.

But, why bothering considering any of that when it's easier to shout BEAST and demand he never plays football again.

Geo_1875
04-07-2017, 10:03 AM
Someone with sense. I totally agree with you.
He was caught out and it could have led to something far worse. Only the victim(s) will ever know what this lewd individual did. You just hope it hasn't mentally scarred them (or their families).

So every player who has been caught drink driving should be hounded for life because they could have killed someone but didn't?

He can only be punished for what he's done, not for what might have come next.

easty
04-07-2017, 10:04 AM
So every player who has been caught drink driving should be hounded for life because they could have killed someone but didn't?

Are drink driving and child grooming the same now?

bigwheel
04-07-2017, 10:10 AM

well both can have irreversible impact on peoples lives......Is your premise that child grooming is a crime that people shouldn't be allowed to face into their crime, and look to rehabilitate themselves from?

For me, he has done his time - As long as he doesn't re-offend, he should be allowed to get on with his life

easty
04-07-2017, 10:13 AM
well both can have irreversible impact on peoples lives......Is your premise that child grooming is a crime that people shouldn't be allowed to face into their crime, and look to rehabilitate themselves from?

For me, he has done his time - As long as he doesn't re-offend, he should be allowed to get on with his life

Like I said earlier on this thread, rehabilitation isn't exoneration. I'll be glad if he never does it again, but it doesn't change what he's done already.

He can get on with his life, I'm not about to head along to Edinburgh City games and abuse him, I'd be raging if he signed for us though, regardless of how good a player he might be.

Geo_1875
04-07-2017, 10:26 AM

Not in the slightest. The argument was what he might have done had he not been caught and that should be held against him.

Steve-O
04-07-2017, 10:41 AM
Like I said earlier on this thread, rehabilitation isn't exoneration. I'll be glad if he never does it again, but it doesn't change what he's done already.

He can get on with his life, I'm not about to head along to Edinburgh City games and abuse him, I'd be raging if he signed for us though, regardless of how good a player he might be.

Nobody is talking about rehabilitation meaning exoneration. Rehab is about assisting the offender AND, as a result, hopefully protecting the community from any further crime by that person.

Banning someone from obtaining employment in a field totally unrelated to their crime doesn't help with rehab / reintegration. Not saying you're saying that.

easty
04-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Nobody is talking about rehabilitation meaning exoneration. Rehab is about assisting the offender AND, as a result, hopefully protecting the community from any further crime by that person.

Banning someone from obtaining employment in a field totally unrelated to their crime doesn't help with rehab / reintegration. Not saying you're saying that.

Nobody is banning him from obtaining employment. People are voicing their displeasure, which they're entirely entitled to do.

silverhibee
04-07-2017, 12:44 PM

He breached his conditions in 2015 and was charged regards it, he left the country without informing the proper authorities, he pleaded guilty to it last year.

chrisski33
04-07-2017, 12:48 PM
Totally wrong to be back in career of football with youngsters playing. If he was a school teacher there would be no chance of being in that career ever again. He done wrong big time and knew what he did was wrong. Some guys defending him and saying hes paid his dues... imagine if it was your 12yr daughters?

Pretty Boy
04-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Totally wrong to be back in career of football with youngsters playing. If he was a school teacher there would be no chance of being in that career ever again. He done wrong big time and knew what he did was wrong. Some guys defending him and saying hes paid his dues... imagine if it was your 12yr daughters?

Who's defending him?

where'stheslope
04-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Totally despicable what he did!

He's done his time, so should be allowed to carry on with his life so long as he does not re-offend.

Problem with "witch hunting" these people, is they are forced underground where no one knows where they are, but if left to get on with their life in full view of everyone, it makes it harder for him to re-offend with the public scrutiny of him!!!!

B.H.F.C
04-07-2017, 06:10 PM
Totally wrong to be back in career of football with youngsters playing.

He's never been away from football, albeit in the juniors. Playing for Kelty last year he probably earned more (knowing what they pay) than he will at Edinburgh City.

Not defending or condoning what he has done in any way. And I don't think it's a good idea on the part of Edinburgh City. But it's not as if he has been totally away from the game. Some of the big junior sides play to bigger crowds than those in league two and a lot of them are heavily involved with community teams at the various age groups, none more so than Kelty.

BullsCloseHibs
04-07-2017, 06:47 PM

Seriously? You are comparing boozing to grooming kids?

BullsCloseHibs
04-07-2017, 06:48 PM
Staggering to think some on here are quite prepared to put up with CT. You ought to be ashamed.

lord bunberry
04-07-2017, 07:11 PM
**** him, he's a beast and he deserves everything that's coming to him. Would anyone on here be happy if he signed for hibs? I very much doubt it. It's one of these cases where we can say he deserves another chance as long as it's not with us. It's a bit hypocritical to say he deserves a second chance as long as it's not with us.

Steve-O
05-07-2017, 08:40 AM

Surely you can see the difference between a school teacher and a footballer in this context?

Nakedmanoncrack
05-07-2017, 05:44 PM
I see our reserves have got a friendly with Edinburgh City at Ainslie Park.

Billy Whizz
05-07-2017, 05:45 PM
I see our reserves have got a friendly with Edinburgh City at Ainslie Park.

It's not tonight, it's Saturday at 3pm

Cod Boy
05-07-2017, 05:54 PM
Edinburgh city are playing raith tonight.