PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scott Brown Testimonial

MichaelTheCelt
02-07-2017, 10:45 PM
Rumours are it will be against a Hibs 11, should be good.

Scott Brown Testimonial Year
CELTIC Football Club has announced today that it has been approached by a Testimonial Committee, for the Committee to arrange a match at Celtic Park to mark the contribution of Scott Brown, a man who has given such excellent service to the Club over the past 10 years. The Club is delighted to facilitate this request.

The Committee will begin planning around this match, as well as other events including a dinner and golf day. The Testimonial Committee will provide supporters with more detail on these events, which will feature a major charitable element, in due course.

Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell said: “Scott has served Celtic brilliantly over the past decade. He has given everything to the Club and has played such an important role in bringing us success after success.

"Of course, he has also been a fantastic Celtic captain, doing so much for the club on and off the park in this role. Scott has always been a winner and it is fitting that he celebrates 10 great years at Celtic in such style as an Invincible and by lifting the Treble. We are delighted to grant this request from the Testimonial Committee.”

EDIT!

Partly the reason I posted this was to see who you's thought would be taking part for the Hibs 11 if true. Still just a rumour but Hibs makes sense. Sort of Hibs chat, made an error with the NHC prefix.

Hibbycol
02-07-2017, 10:49 PM
It will not be a hibs 11 it will be against Liverpool me thinks

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
02-07-2017, 11:12 PM
It will not be a hibs 11 it will be against Liverpool me thinks

Why?

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Hibbycol
02-07-2017, 11:19 PM
The so called "connection" between them , champions league, kenny dalglish, the song shmeltic stole and use , sky tv showing it . But just my opinion 👍

1875STEVE
02-07-2017, 11:23 PM
I can't see it being Hibs either.....

IF it was, I reckon it could be our 2007 cup winning side that he played in???

Hibbycol
02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
Whittys a shoe in for the game if it is 😁

Nutmegged
02-07-2017, 11:43 PM
No chance it'll be us, loved Brown when he was here and proud the club played a major role in his development, he's had a fantastic career but it's their club captain, it'll be a big name, just a guess but Id say Dortmund.

Carheenlea
02-07-2017, 11:53 PM
A Celtic v Hibs testimonial for Scott Brown would attract even less Hibs fans than would normally go to away matches at Celtic as it is. Never going to happen.
As an aside, on what occasion have Hibs provided the opposition for a testimonial match? Can't think of any Other than Pat Stanton's, but that was more a joint effort was it not?

hibbysam
03-07-2017, 12:00 AM
A Celtic v Hibs testimonial for Scott Brown would attract even less Hibs fans than would normally go to away matches at Celtic as it is. Never going to happen.
As an aside, on what occasion have Hibs provided the opposition for a testimonial match? Can't think of any Other than Pat Stanton's, but that was more a joint effort was it not?

Kevin McCallister IIRC for Falkirk.

MichaelTheCelt
03-07-2017, 12:01 AM
No chance it'll be us, loved Brown when he was here and proud the club played a major role in his development, he's had a fantastic career but it's their club captain, it'll be a big name, just a guess but Id say Dortmund.

I will throw my thoughts in.
I am fairly convinced it will be a Hibs 11, will be absolutely astonished if it isn't. My reasons for this are Brown has never struck me as someone who has bought into that 'glamour of the premier league' so for that reason I think that rules out any Premier League teams. Foreign teams? I doubt it, I think he is the kind of guy who doesn't forget where he's came from I think for him Hibs will always be a massive part in his career when he looks back on it. He might be our club captain but it's HIS testimonial. I think he'll want to have a day with players he has played past and present whilst paying tribute to the teams and players that have made him the player he is today and making it an event for both sets of supporters.

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 12:03 AM

Now that does ring a bell.

hibbysam
03-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Now that does ring a bell.

Also Jussi Jaskelainen vs Bolton.

MichaelTheCelt
03-07-2017, 12:04 AM

That is a fair point. I do remember the Phil O'Donnell memorial game and there was a small number but a fair enough amount of Motherwell fans mixed in with us. I can only imagine the club decided not to allocate the tickets as home and away for fear of not many Well fans turning up, they might do the same if it is Hibernian who knows? Although the circumstances behind the Phil O'Donnell game were entirely different mind you.

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 12:10 AM
I am fairly convinced it will be a Hibs 11, will be absolutely astonished if it isn't. My reasons for this are Brown has never struck me as someone who has bought into that 'glamour of the premier league' so for that reason I think that rules out any Premier League teams. Foreign teams? I doubt it, I think he is the kind of guy who doesn't forget where he's came from I think for him Hibs will always be a massive part in his career when he looks back on it. He might be our club captain but it's HIS testimonial. I think he'll want to have a day with players he has played past and present whilst paying tribute to the teams and players that have made him the player he is today and making it an event for both sets of supporters.

You present good reason to back up your thoughts, but I still can't see it myself. The Celtic fans would roll up whoever the opposition, but doubt Hibs fans would in the numbers you suggest. He was a popular player for us alright, but it was a long time ago now.

the_ginger_hibee
03-07-2017, 12:36 AM

Craig Levein's testimonial also :jamboak:

H18 SFR
03-07-2017, 07:16 AM

I remember a game at Innerleithen Vs Vale.

lucky
03-07-2017, 07:25 AM
It's the Celtic fans that are choosing the opposition for Broony's game. The 3 leading contenders are Hibs, Real and Barca. With Hibs leading the way. Talk is for Hibs team to play their invincibles with SB playing 45 minutes for each team.

Just Jimmy
03-07-2017, 07:29 AM
I always feel that a testimonial should be against a club the player has some connection to. if they started their career there or if they spent significant time on loan there or maybe even a team that were significant opposition such as a European cup final.

for brown that is clearly hibs. that said I'm not fussed either way but it would be good to see some hibs legends kicking around.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Bishop Hibee
03-07-2017, 07:35 AM
If we were the opposition I'd go. Brown loved his time at Hibs, gave 100% and won a LC medal. He's turned up at a few Hibs games since as a fan. That said, I doubt it will be us.

calumhibee1
03-07-2017, 07:45 AM
Wish Scott Brown all the best. A cup winner at Hibs and a cracking player who we sold for a record fee, no reason not to like the guy. However the idea of going to his Celtic testimonial match is of absolutely no interest to me.

jdships
03-07-2017, 07:51 AM

:thumbsup:
Wouldn'i waste my money , whoever it is :na na:

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 08:38 AM
Wish Scott Brown all the best. A cup winner at Hibs and a cracking player who we sold for a record fee, no reason not to like the guy. However the idea of going to his Celtic testimonial match is of absolutely no interest to me.

Likewise :agree:

bod
03-07-2017, 08:55 AM

more like an 11 from Palestine so they can wave their flags again :flag:

Big_Franck
03-07-2017, 09:00 AM

Totally agree.

Loved him at Hibs and wish him all the best but there is absolutely no chance of me going through to the weej for the testimonial of a Celtc player, even if it was free to get in.

davhibby
03-07-2017, 10:50 AM
If it was just the current Hibs team I'd not really be interested but I'd go if it included players that he'd played with at Hibs

Biggie
03-07-2017, 11:28 AM
I remember a game at Innerleithen Vs Vale.

Ha, well done mate !
Hibs sent a team down to the vale for Colin Graham's testimonial (mid 80's I think). Colin is a big hibbie and was a great servant to the vale. (at least 10 years with them)

03-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Scott Brown has always seemed to me someone who found his comfort zone at celtic and never was ambitious enough to try his hand down in England. Now maybe thats unfair, maybe he's decided not to venture outside of Scotland for family reasons but thats just my opinion. I think Scott Brown could have played down in England, perhaps at a championship club or a lower premier league club but as I say I think he lacked a bit of ambition.

Really like him though, he's exactly the sort of player you want in your team. Will run through brick walls for you. Sometimes a bit hot headed, his sending off at Ross County last season was a prime example, when he saw red after the penalty incident and ended up clattering someone but he's certainly calmed down a lot since he was a young lad at hibs.

Betty Boop
03-07-2017, 01:59 PM
Lost all interest in Brown when he handed in a transfer request.

HoboHarry
03-07-2017, 02:06 PM
Scott Brown has always seemed to me someone who found his comfort zone at celtic and never was ambitious enough to try his hand down in England. Now maybe thats unfair, maybe he's decided not to venture outside of Scotland for family reasons but thats just my opinion. I think Scott Brown could have played down in England, perhaps at a championship club or a lower premier league club but as I say I think he lacked a bit of ambition.

Really like him though, he's exactly the sort of player you want in your team. Will run through brick walls for you. Sometimes a bit hot headed, his sending off at Ross County last season was a prime example, when he saw red after the penalty incident and ended up clattering someone but he's certainly calmed down a lot since he was a young lad at hibs.
Bit in bold in not only unfair, it's just simply made up by you. He's been quoted in the past as saying he simply didn't want to leave Celtic and there is nothing wrong with that.......

Since90+2
03-07-2017, 02:16 PM
I dont think you can blame Brown for staying at Celtic when you look at what he has achieved.

Captained Celtic for close to a decade , played dozens of games in the Champions League and Europa League, won multiple league and cup medals and captained his country.

When you look at other Scottish players who have gone down south who can you say has achieved more than Brown? Naismith? Maloney? Adam? Snodgrass? These guys might have more money than Brown but you could argue Brown's legacy will be remembered longer than these guys.

03-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Bit in bold in not only unfair, it's just simply made up by you. He's been quoted in the past as saying he simply didn't want to leave Celtic and there is nothing wrong with that.......

I wasn't stating anything as fact, simply saying that my personal opinion is that he found his comfort zone at celtic and didn't want to take a shot at stepping up to the English leagues. Again, not stating anything as fact, I don't know Scott personally but thats just how I see it.

Nothing wrong with staying at celtic, he's made a decent career for himself there and has plenty medals to his name but IMO he could have taken his career to the next step up had he wanted to.

AgentDaleCooper
03-07-2017, 03:23 PM
i personally will always have at least a bit of time for scott brown. he played out his skin for us on every occasion - i'll never forget his final game for hibs against celtic, where he scored the winner and had a square go with one of them (was it darren o'dea?) to boot. always absolutely committed, plus he won a cup, and the fee we got for him will have gone a long way towards east mains and the east stand, so he has, in a sense, left a legacy.

i'm not saying he's a hero or a legend or anything, but i do have time and respect for him, and i would consider going to such a game, since he contributed pretty significantly to the current happy state we are in as a club (along with the likes of fletcher, whitty, murphy, hell, maybe even thommo (depends on whether you believe his thing about keith jackson or not), who always worked hard and never shat on us or took anything for granted.

i've not included deeks in this simply because he is a legend IMO, ironically even though he didn't always work that hard and we never got a big pay day from him. i think o'connor let himself down the second time he was here, and also didn't always seem to work that hard, so i wouldn't quite put him in that category, even though i do have a lot of time for him as well.

MichaelTheCelt
03-07-2017, 03:31 PM
i personally will always have at least a bit of time for scott brown. he played out his skin for us on every occasion - i'll never forget his final game for hibs against celtic, where he scored the winner and had a square go with one of them (was it darren o'dea?) to boot. always absolutely committed, plus he won a cup, and the fee we got for him will have gone a long way towards east mains and the east stand, so he has, in a sense, left a legacy.

i'm not saying he's a hero or a legend or anything, but i do have time and respect for him, and i would consider going to such a game, since he contributed pretty significantly to the current happy state we are in as a club (along with the likes of fletcher, whitty, murphy, hell, maybe even thommo (depends on whether you believe his thing about keith jackson or not), who always worked hard and never shat on us or took anything for granted.

i've not included deeks in this simply because he is a legend IMO, ironically even though he didn't always work that hard and we never got a big pay day from him. i think o'connor let himself down the second time he was here, and also didn't always seem to work that hard, so i wouldn't quite put him in that category, even though i do have a lot of time for him as well.

Aye yer right about O'Dea. Squared up to Lennon in that game too

givescotlandfreedom
03-07-2017, 03:57 PM

I agree with this. He's also always treated us with respect unlike a couple of our own who've moved on.

BoltonHibernian
03-07-2017, 04:08 PM

Jussi Jasskelinen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy74
03-07-2017, 04:10 PM
So Celtic fans are going to choose the opposition - who is to say the 'chosen' club are interested or could accommodate?

Bay Area Hibees
03-07-2017, 07:31 PM
I agree with this. He's also always treated us with respect unlike a couple of our own who've moved on.

Agree
Did he not donate some of fee to our training set up ?

jacomo
03-07-2017, 07:33 PM
So Celtic fans are going to choose the opposition - who is to say the 'chosen' club are interested or could accommodate?

I imagine the committee will choose more glamorous opponents than Hibs. But there is no doubt that our club means a good deal to Scott.

hibbysam
03-07-2017, 07:39 PM

I admire Scott greatly and what he done for our club and my country, but this dig at others holds no substance unless you just choose to forget Scott's final season in which he tried to get himself a move, handed in a transfer request, knocked on RP's door to get rid of Collins, and played a big part in us not winning the double that year.

Fortunately, I can look at the bigger picture of what Scott, and KT and Deek did for our club rather than the way they all left.

Onceinawhile
03-07-2017, 08:09 PM
I admire Scott greatly and what he done for our club and my country, but this dig at others holds no substance unless you just choose to forget Scott's final season in which he tried to get himself a move, handed in a transfer request, knocked on RP's door to get rid of Collins, and played a big part in us not winning the double that year.

Fortunately, I can look at the bigger picture of what Scott, and KT and Deek did for our club rather than the way they all left.

Nah. We were never doing the double that year anyway. Celtic were far better than us and we played well against dunfermline, we just couldn't put them away.

MichaelTheCelt
03-07-2017, 08:30 PM

In reply to yourself Andy74 I think you may and others may be picking things up wrong? It certainly isn't Celtic fans who are choosing the opposition. Celtic fans the majority from what I have seen have been saying it should be Hibs for Browns testimonial because of obvious reasons. It absolutely is not a case of Celtic fans being arrogant and suggesting Hibs should jump to their call as you seem to be insinuating.

In regards to 'glamorous' opposition I don't see how anyone thinks Scott Brown or even the club would want a so called 'glamour' game. In Larasson's farewell game he choose Sevilla great team (although not quite at the heights then as they are now) but hardly a glamour attraction but it made sense because of Seville in 03. Jackie McNamara choose the Republic of Ireland for his testimonial. So it is definitely down to player preference and it'll be with personal reasons to the player as well, as it's how they wish to celebrate it.

SChibs
03-07-2017, 09:29 PM
Nah. We were never doing the double that year anyway. Celtic were far better than us and we played well against dunfermline, we just couldn't put them away.

We were perfectly capable of beating celtic in the final. They were woeful against Dunfermline but won 1-0

Phil MaGlass
04-07-2017, 01:57 PM
i think it would be great if broonie picked to play us, would be a good game IMO, I would be interested in this one.I always liked and still do Scott Brown, excellent application and a guid fitba player. I for one think it is a wee bit of an honour to be the invited club for a game like this.
Oh and although he has just signed a new contract at sellik I would love to see him finish his career at Hibs.

hibbysam
04-07-2017, 02:27 PM

Played well? We failed to beat ****ing Dunfermline over 180 minutes, one month after romping the league cup final. We were woeful and more than capable of beating a Celtic side that we beat on the last day of the season, led against twice in the other 3 games, and lost by the odd goal twice. Yeah far superior so they were especially when we would've had Chris Killen back for the final.

Yuillsy
04-07-2017, 02:28 PM
I remember Falkirk fans foaming at the mouth when we sang "Crunchie is a Hibee"!!!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk