WindyMiller
02-07-2017, 08:43 PM
Sad waste of a great talent.

hibsbollah
02-07-2017, 08:58 PM
It's a quality production. Great TV.

iwasthere1972
02-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Watched it on BBCi Player last week. Such a waste of a real talent and such a sad end.

guthrie01
02-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Sad waste of a great talent.

I wouldn't say he "wasted" his talent, he is one of the most recognisable players today, had a great career playing for numerous teams around the world (including the best club in the world :greengrin). Sure he perhaps didn't reach his full playing potential but he damn well had a life most of us could only dream of having.

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars – the rest I just squandered"

edinburghhibee
02-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Was a good documentary. That goal for SJ was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
02-07-2017, 11:15 PM
IMO he was the best player in the world at his peak. Still unbelievable how he played for hibs, one of my favourite players of all time not just because of his talent but because of the f*** you attitude to anyone that judged him. For me he never wasted his talent but there was certainly a lot more he could've had. Ashame really.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

HoboHarry
02-07-2017, 11:26 PM
I wonder how much George would have done differently if he could have done it all again? Booze - maybe, but the women and nightlife I would suspect not......

worcesterhibby
03-07-2017, 09:18 AM
I wonder how much George would have done differently if he could have done it all again? Booze - maybe, but the women and nightlife I would suspect not......

I doubt he would have done anything different as he wasn't in a position to choose, many times he had the chance too try to put the booze behind him, most obviously after his liver transplant, but he was unable to fight his addiction successfully. I have a feeling that no matter how many chances to do things differently George had, the final result would always be the same.

KWJ
03-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Is this the film that was released recently by the guy from the Guardian football weekly podcast?

This one I think?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-George-All-Himself-DVD/dp/B01MQ4G18H

Crazyhorse
03-07-2017, 12:18 PM
I doubt he would have done anything different as he wasn't in a position to choose, many times he had the chance too try to put the booze behind him, most obviously after his liver transplant, but he was unable to fight his addiction successfully. I have a feeling that no matter how many chances to do things differently George had, the final result would always be the same.

I think the main problem for George was that he was the first celebrity footballer. Probably a generation ahead of his time in that respect. He was a sort of pop star and neither he nor the football people around him knew how to handle it. Today superstar footballers like other celebrities are surrounded by people protecting them and managing everything. He was stuck trying to navigate a lot of it on his own - and he was a nice guy who liked to please people. One of my mum's cousins married one of George's sisters and they all remember him as the sweetest guy in the world when he was back home in Belfast.

Oscar T Grouch
03-07-2017, 12:20 PM
Was a good documentary. That goal for SJ was brilliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"That was the best soccer goal I have ever seen!", got to love American commentators :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2017, 03:49 PM
That last picture he had taken was so haunting, its a picture i wish i'd never seen.

stantonhibby
03-07-2017, 04:06 PM
That last picture he had taken was so haunting, its a picture i wish i'd never seen.

Yep.....the whole thing was a sad watch really.

hibsbollah
03-07-2017, 04:57 PM

I don't believe for a minute that George wanted that photo in the public domain, you can blame that hun **** Bill Mcmurdo and the Sun for that. Mcmurdo was squeezing every last penny he could get out of a dying man.

I've read a lot about his career and I thought the doc was extremely accurate and well researched. My first hibs home game was also his home debut, Hibs 2 Partick Thistle 1 December 1st 1979, Easter Road was almost double its normal attendance, people who had no interest in football (yes, lots of hearts fans) turned up, you could actually
feel the excitement in the school and in town all week, the only way I can describe it is if Beckham signed for Hibs ten years ago. He was more a pop star than a footballer. But drink consumed him.

It's the done thing to say that he went off the rails when Busby left, but I think Busby could have done more. I'm not sure Best respected him as much as some journos would have you believe. When George came to Edinburgh is a great read about his time here, which was punctuated by some brilliant performances in amongst the dross.

My favourite bit on the documentary was when the San Jose player was describing how Best was going mad at the ref just prior to that famous goal where he dribbled past about five defenders in the box. The context was '**** all of you, I'm going to show you five seconds of what I was capable of once upon a time'.

heretoday
03-07-2017, 10:53 PM
Best to remember George for his exploits on the park, especially in the sixties and early seventies. He showed some nice touches for us but in truth his mind was on things other than football.

ManBearPig
04-07-2017, 07:44 AM
I want the story of Jackie glass how she went from
Super model screen writer to Buddhist monk! That must be fascinating story