PDA

View Full Version : Realistic finish

01-07-2017, 10:02 PM
Where does everyone realistically think we will finish. I think 4th would be a decent finish to the first season up and it's not impossible 3rd could be a shout with some good signings

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Bob Box Fish
01-07-2017, 10:07 PM
Depends on signings and if we keep mcginn.

Top six would be a good achievement if you look back historically we have often struggled to make that. We have only made third a couple of times in the last 20 year.

Pete70
01-07-2017, 10:25 PM
First season back, top six for me

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-07-2017, 10:54 PM
Top six. To achieve that we would need to back the manager to the same level as St Johnstone and Danny Swanson can let the board know how much that will cost.

JohnM1875
01-07-2017, 10:58 PM
Too six for me too. And there's nothing I want more than to finish above them. After all their years of cheating hopefully now we're both on an even playing field we can start finishing above them more often than not.

Forza Fred
01-07-2017, 11:50 PM
Hopefully too early to say, as surely signings must be made before kick off.

If a punt is wanted based on existing players, then I'd suggest about 8th as not many goals would be scored.

Bring in a striker to match our expectations and I'd pump us up to 5th.

I think after the ugly sisters and Aberdeen, the league is going to be pretty compacted.

pacorosssco
01-07-2017, 11:55 PM
Rangers unknown quantity but recon will be better and finish 2nd. Aberdeen seem to be replacing well but no guarantees. 3rd is ours to aim for. Recon how we start is key. Always finish week so must hit ground running. To finish 5th first year back is fair but should be minimal aim given budget.

SteveHFC
01-07-2017, 11:57 PM
1st.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2017, 11:57 PM
Anything lower than 4th is a failure.

pacorosssco
02-07-2017, 12:02 AM

Yes I would agree. 4th should be aim every year.

darwenhibby
02-07-2017, 12:07 AM
The right additions to what we've signed
Keep mcginn why not 2nd

Eyrie
02-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Sevco are splashing the cash and Aberdeen have made some decent signings, so I've now thinking fourth is reasonable.

Morganleith
02-07-2017, 01:00 PM
I'd love to get at least 4th but as long as we finish above them then I'll be happy enough.

hibsbollah
02-07-2017, 01:01 PM

:agree:

ancient hibee
02-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Top six.

DarlingtonHibee
02-07-2017, 01:09 PM
Top six.

This

CMurdoch
02-07-2017, 01:13 PM
Competing with Hearts for 4th. Signing dependent.
Celtic are outta sight and Aberdeen and Rangers have chucked some serious money at it.
Hibs currently have Marciano, McGregor, Ambrose, Hanlon, Bartley and McGinn
Hearts currently have Concalves, Berra, Lafferty, Djoum, Walker and the young guy from Man City
We need striker signings to get daylight between us.

Zazu62
02-07-2017, 01:14 PM
Top six. Can't see us finishing above the old firm or Aberdeen.

02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Top 6 has to be an absolute minimum.

Souter96Mac
02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
I think the most important games will be against the bottom half sides. No point pitching up against Sevco or the likes, grabbing a win or a draw, then drop needless points against easier sides. Consistency is needed this season

Humo
02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
My heart says with decent signings and some rub of the green second.

My head is saying 4th and hopefully either we win the Scottish cup or Celtic/Aberdeen win it so we get another bash in europe.

The Rangers winning it would probably get us Europe too but would rather they didn't win the SC.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
02-07-2017, 01:38 PM
4th. Any higher would be a great achievement in our first season back to where we belong.

1van Sprou7e
02-07-2017, 01:47 PM
Very hard to say as Aberdeen Rangers and Hearts are all making lots of changes this summer

Think Aberdeen will be slightly weaker while Rangers and Hearts will improve meaning things could be very tight

If we manage to get Stokes+Berry then 2nd is a possibility but I'd be more than happy with top 4 and finishing above the jambos

DTS
02-07-2017, 01:50 PM
As long as we get top 6 and are in contention for the euro places going into the split, then what happens from there is anyone's guess. A couple of good cup runs(semis on) along with 3rd/4th I think should be the target then judge from there with top 6 being acceptable but anything lower than 6th I would have to say is a disaster season even with cup runs

Elephant Stone
02-07-2017, 01:55 PM
I've got a wee bit of a hunch that Sevco might be quite pish again next season in spite of their spending. I am optimistically predicting:

Celtic
Aberdeen
Hibs
Sevco
Dundee
St Johnstone

The Spaceman
02-07-2017, 02:04 PM
Sorry to be a wee bit pessimistic but Top 6 for me would be a good result - we didn't absolutely steamroll the Championship and have lost our top goalscorer alongside other strikers. Aberdeen and Celtic will be much stronger, and think Rangers + Hearts will be a lot more competitive outfits this year. Teams like Partick and St.J are also good/established so taking them off their perch isn't a given.

On our day, we can beat anyone outwit Celtic...just not sure we will strike the consistency some anticipate here!

Carheenlea
02-07-2017, 02:08 PM
A solid, consistent league campaign will see us competing for places in the top 6. We have all the atrubutes to expect to do so - good squad, experienced manager, first class training facilities and revenue from circa 12K season ticket holders. The target set should be high. Wining the league is out our reach, but 2nd is not. Take Celtic out of it and the League would be an exciting one with maybe four similarly matched sides battling it out for top honour.

Onceinawhile
02-07-2017, 02:56 PM
We'll have the 5th biggest budget. So 5th.

1van Sprou7e
02-07-2017, 02:58 PM
We'll have the 5th biggest budget. So 5th.

Hearts have a bigger budget? bull***t...

AngloHibs
02-07-2017, 03:07 PM
I think the most important games will be against the bottom half sides. No point pitching up against Sevco or the likes, grabbing a win or a draw, then drop needless points against easier sides. Consistency is needed this season

This! Not putting the dross away on a regular basis was the reason we took 3 attempts to get promoted. We must sort this weakness out.

frazeHFC
02-07-2017, 03:09 PM
The squad we have now. If we added competition for full back (Whittaker), a goal scoring midfielder (Berry) and a striker (Stokes) I think we'd be looking pretty strong. Still think we need 2 strikers though but definitely 1 and hopefully soon.

GlesgaeHibby
02-07-2017, 03:19 PM
Hard to say at the minute. A lot depends on recruitment over the next few weeks.

Aberdeen and Rangers potentially getting into the group stages of the UEFA cup could be a good thing for us too - especially Aberdeen as they don't have a huge squad and injuries tiredness could play a part in them dropping points in the league.

Sevco are a bit of an unknown entity this year, and hopefully garbage - not convinced Pedro is that good a manager. Aberdeen certainly have the firepower up front for 40 goals between Stewart and Rooney and so I reckon they'll be in with a good chance of 2nd as it stands.

wookie70
02-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Hopefully top six when new players come in but with the squad currently I would be delighted to avoid relegation.

007 Mickey Weir
02-07-2017, 05:27 PM
Top 6. 4th is a realistic aim.

DH1875
02-07-2017, 05:42 PM
Top 6 minimum. Would go as far to say we should never be a bottom 6 team again

CRAZYHIBBY
02-07-2017, 05:48 PM
As long as we finish above the "big cheats" then ill be happy

Sammy7nil
02-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Lol u would think you were a 16 year old just look at our record over the past 40 years :greengrin If we finish top five or better it will be a good season especially where we are starting from.

Captain Trips
02-07-2017, 10:31 PM
This! Not putting the dross away on a regular basis was the reason we took 3 attempts to get promoted. We must sort this weakness out.

Indeed we need to make sure if we beat Aberdeen one week we follow it up by beating one of the struggling pieces of piss like Hearts the next week.

NAE NOOKIE
02-07-2017, 11:11 PM
Top 4 is a realistic aim, but for that we have 4 main challengers .... Celtic are already out of sight, Aberdeen seem to be working hard at replacing the good players they have lost and even though Sevco were pish last season and are a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment it seems to me that too many teams are still caving in to the name rather than what they have on the park, I cant see that changing even if they are bang average in reality.
Its hard to say what the Yams will be like, once again they will have a team with a load of new player but they seem to be recruiting closer to home than the pile of mercenary dross they signed as a Christmas present for their fans last season.

I know we have lost Cummings, but it seems to me that with the signing of Swanson and our attempt to buy the lad from Cambridge Utd Neil Lennon is looking for goals to be spread around the team rather than relying on one guy to score the majority .... if we can get another decent striker in like Stokes or Hooper ( a long shot I admit ) then we will be in a decent position to mount a challenge against our main opposition for a high finish.

CMurdoch
02-07-2017, 11:29 PM
Top 6 minimum. Would go as far to say we should never be a bottom 6 team again

I agree with your 2nd statement

Carheenlea
02-07-2017, 11:58 PM

Can't disagree with any of that :agree:

ekhibee
03-07-2017, 01:19 AM
IMO it depends who else we sign.

OsloHibs
03-07-2017, 02:03 AM
We'll know more after first month. But I feel it's gonna be harder than many think. So I'm going for sixth place. One place ahead of hearts!

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2017, 05:42 AM
Lol u would think you were a 16 year old just look at our record over the past 40 years :greengrin If we finish top five or better it will be a good season especially where we are starting from.

Maybe for you, but i'm sick of this club underachieving. If we dont have targets of success, and just meekly accept continued punching below our weight, then in my opinion thats what we will get.

Craig_in_Prague
03-07-2017, 06:06 AM
IMO it depends who else we sign.

Yep, right now we'll be lucky with top 6. But 4-5 really good signings and we should be challenging for top 3/4.
Let's hope Berry, Whittaker, Stokes and one or two others are the quality we need.

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 06:19 AM
Maybe for you, but i'm sick of this club underachieving. If we dont have targets of success, and just meekly accept continued punching below our weight, then in my opinion thats what we will get.

Many laughed and mocked Neil Lennon when he stated n Hibs.TV that in his opinion we were the second best side in the country. The manager will be setting the target high, higher than what a lot of our fans will be happy to accept, and I'm glad we have a manager who won't be happy to float about mid table.

Onceinawhile
03-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Hearts have a bigger budget? bull***t...

Bigger crowds, more season ticket holders and much better prize money last year. Why wouldn't they?

Carheenlea
03-07-2017, 06:52 AM
Bigger crowds, more season ticket holders and much better prize money last year. Why wouldn't they?

The construction of the capitals most atmospheric grandstand maybe?

ian cruise
03-07-2017, 07:28 AM
We went down due to bad management and unfortunate circumstances (being in championship with other Hearts and Rangers) helped keep us down, I don't think us being in that division for as long as we were gives an accurate reflection of our squads then or now, our Cup runs show this.

Top 6 is minimum achievement for me, I'd love us to aim for 2nd and anything from 4th up is a good first season in my opinion. The fans have backed the team and it seems the board are backing the manager if the signings we've already made and the suggested targets are anything like accurate.

calumhibee1
03-07-2017, 07:47 AM
Would be happy enough with top six. Would be delighted with top four, ecstatic at anything above that.

Captain Trips
03-07-2017, 08:21 AM
If NL is happy just getting into top 6 I would be very surprised. I just find this split creates a false sense of achievement in that 6th might be ok.

Would be interested if the split I know it cant be but say it was a top 4 play off if finishing outside that would be ok.

hibsfan
03-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Should definitely be aiming top 3. Celtic are in a league of their own then it is between us and Aberdeen. No other team in that league concerns us.

Good thing is that the Jambos looked awful against Livingston - proper amateur stuff. My Jambo mate says they are a stick-on for relegation under Cathro this season. 🥂

Crazyhorse
03-07-2017, 09:30 AM
Yep, right now we'll be lucky with top 6. But 4-5 really good signings and we should be challenging for top 3/4.
Let's hope Berry, Whittaker, Stokes and one or two others are the quality we need.

I agree. We still have a lot of strengthening of the squad to do.

Baker9
03-07-2017, 09:56 AM
Many laughed and mocked Neil Lennon when he stated n Hibs.TV that in his opinion we were the second best side in the country. The manager will be setting the target high, higher than what a lot of our fans will be happy to accept, and I'm glad we have a manager who won't be happy to float about mid table.

Well said. We have won the cup in my lifetime and Leann will not be happy until we win the league. We will give it a right good go over the next few years. Happy days.

Sammy7nil
03-07-2017, 11:09 AM

You are right forget all the great Hibs teams that came up short forget the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts St Johnstone and all the other teams we compete with just aim for the moon :hibees The treble is on simply because we want it. :wink:

where'stheslope
03-07-2017, 07:01 PM
This is a great thread for giving dreamers their day in paradise, top six finish is not good enough for most yet as some others have stated we are far from the finished article as previous season have shown.

We get great results in one off cup games, yet struggle in the championship against teams that should not even be on the same park as us?

We appear to be trying to pull a good squad of players together, but it may take time to play together as a team.

We look strong in midfield, at the back we've a good record against poorer opposition, the coming season will tell if we are good enough at the back for the Premiership, week on week rather than one off cup games.

Up front is the hard one to call, 20 goals a season strikers are hard to come by, if we find one and scores regularly it takes some of the pressure of the defense to keep clean sheets, and hopefully Swanson can score regularly from midfield as he did last season.

When you take the above into consideration, I think if we get a top six finish we will have had a great season!!!!!

blackpoolhibs
03-07-2017, 07:08 PM
You are right forget all the great Hibs teams that came up short forget the OF, Aberdeen, Hearts St Johnstone and all the other teams we compete with just aim for the moon :hibees The treble is on simply because we want it. :wink:

I'm not forgetting any team, i'm saying we must start achieving better, the ground has been built, the training centre has been in place now for long enough.

How much longer do we need to be patient?

If aiming for 4th at least is not achievable then what was the bloody point?

As i said, anything less than 4th is failure.

Captain Trips
03-07-2017, 07:13 PM
I'm not forgetting any team, i'm saying we must start achieving better, the ground has been built, the training centre has been in place now for long enough.

How much longer do we need to be patient?

If aiming for 4th at least is not achievable then what was the bloody point?

As i said, anything less than 4th is failure.

I would agree and I will assume so would NL. What's so great about 6th? I hate the split it makes 6th seem like a decent target when it for me it certainly isn't.

Diclonius
03-07-2017, 07:30 PM
If we get at least two quality strikers, we'll be top six nae bother. This isn't the loser generation of 2010-2014.

Fergus52
03-07-2017, 07:32 PM
Completely depends on who we sign, especially to replace Cummings.

We should be aiming for at least 4th IMO though.

heretoday
03-07-2017, 10:57 PM
Fourth or fifth.

Captain Trips
04-07-2017, 10:02 PM
2nd

StevieCowan
04-07-2017, 11:23 PM
impossible to say until we know who our strikers are going to be.

Right now you're lucky if the current squad would hit 30 goals across the campaign.