PDA

View Full Version : 2017 Wimbledon

Sir David Gray
01-07-2017, 04:56 PM
My favourite two weeks of the sporting calendar are almost here.

Andy Murray starts against Lucky Loser Alexander Bublik on Monday at 1pm.

Looking forward to it already!

Mikey
01-07-2017, 05:53 PM
I've got a small wager on a Djokovic/Konta double. Both are likely to be there or thereabouts.

JimBHibees
01-07-2017, 07:47 PM
I've got a small wager on a Djokovic/Konta double. Both are likely to be there or thereabouts.

Konta took bad fall few days back. Think Pilskova for women's

Mikey
02-07-2017, 01:33 PM
Konta took bad fall few days back. Think Pilskova for women's

Yes, I saw that. She'll probably be patched up in time though.

heretoday
02-07-2017, 05:56 PM

It would be just like Novak to bounce back and win. I think the Womens is a wide open contest.

hibsbollah
03-07-2017, 01:23 PM
Listening to Murray game now at work. Tennis on the radio doesn't really work.

Peevemor
03-07-2017, 01:55 PM

Trust me, it's not as bad as the Tour de France! :yawn:

Sir David Gray
03-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Murray through in straight sets.

heretoday
03-07-2017, 03:45 PM

The commentators need to keep their wits about them though!

It wouldn't do for Rob Mogadon McLean.

hibsbollah
03-07-2017, 05:24 PM
Trust me, it's not as bad as the Tour de France! :yawn:

I have watched snooker on a black n white telly in my youth. The 70s were the dark ages in entertainment terms.

MountcastleHibs
03-07-2017, 07:00 PM
Stan Wawrinka knocked out.

heretoday
03-07-2017, 07:57 PM

Good. I don't like him. He's got a daft red nose.

Sir David Gray
03-07-2017, 09:30 PM

I'm not overly surprised by that to be honest.

He's never done particularly well on grass and he has been struggling with injury recently. His opponent has also done well on grass over the last few weeks.

heretoday
05-07-2017, 05:03 PM
Andy's not up against much today.

Pete
07-07-2017, 07:24 PM
Just turned over to Murray v Fognini and Murrsy looks to be struggling a bit. Is he injured or tired? Or is he just playing a good opponent?

Pete
07-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Murray been broken, he's moaning and it looks like it'll be 2-2.

Surely not.

Betty Boop
07-07-2017, 07:30 PM
Murray spitting the dummy oot.

Pete
07-07-2017, 07:56 PM
Italian boy losing it now.

You might be more stylish and good looking, but you're going down son.

lord bunberry
07-07-2017, 07:56 PM
He's on fire now though

lord bunberry
07-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Wins 3-1.

David_D
07-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Murray never makes things easy for people watching.

Pretty Boy
07-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Fognini almost beat himself there. Losing the point for abuse then losing another point when he challenged before realising he had no challenges left. He fell apart soon after the 2nd incident. Murray was clinical when he smelled blood though.

heretoday
10-07-2017, 04:03 PM
Andy's through despite the usual trauma. I dunno how he does it.

He was trudging about there like a fishwife with a basket full of very heavy fish.

Smartie
10-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Anyone seen the clip of Rafa smacking his heid off the doorframe?

Ouch!!

Betty Boop
10-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Federer through to his 15th quarter final, and yet to drop a set.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2017, 06:31 PM
Muller and Nadal could be here for a while yet. Cracking match.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2017, 06:32 PM
This Nadal-Muller match is brilliant entertainment 8-8 in the final set.

You really cannot beat men's Grand Slam tennis when it comes to excitement.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2017, 07:02 PM
This match is superb.

Betty Boop
10-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Nadal is like a man possessed, and Muller is cool as a cucumber.:greengrin

Jim44
10-07-2017, 07:25 PM
Got Nadal at evens, in-play. Good bet.

BroxburnHibee
10-07-2017, 07:31 PM
What a match this is.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Nadal out 15-13 in the fifth set - phenomenal.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2017, 07:33 PM
Wow. What a match.

Chuffed for Muller.

Pretty Boy
10-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Touch of class from Nadal to stop and sign autographs after that. Top man.

Jim44
10-07-2017, 07:35 PM
Got Nadal at evens, in-play. Good bet.

Ah well, you win some, you lose some. Make's Murray's route easier.

BroxburnHibee
10-07-2017, 07:37 PM
Muller will be a handful for anyone playing like that.

Sir David Gray
10-07-2017, 08:10 PM
Touch of class from Nadal to stop and sign autographs after that. Top man.

The guy's a class act, I love the way he conducts himself on and off the court. He must have been hurting physically and mentally after losing a match like that and yet he still found it within himself to behave so graciously in defeat.

He's a fantastic role model and I hope he continues to play for many more years to come.

heretoday
10-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Muller will be a handful for anyone playing like that.

He'll be knackered. Easy meat.

HibbyDave
11-07-2017, 07:21 AM
Can Ostapenko beat Venus? I have Ostapenko to win the ladies tournament at16/1.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2017, 05:26 PM
Good match on just now between Simona Halep and Johanna Konta. It's into a third set with both of the first two sets being won on a tiebreak.

Both women are playing some real quality stuff. They've only played two games in this final set and they've already been playing for 20 minutes!

Pretty Boy
11-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Good match on just now between Simona Halep and Johanna Konta. It's into a third set with both of the first two sets being won on a tiebreak.

Both women are playing some real quality stuff. They've only played two games in this final set and they've already been playing for 20 minutes!

Konta breaks.

2 of them are really going for it here. Another fantastic tennis match.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2017, 05:53 PM
Konta wins 6-7 7-6 6-4.

Brilliant match. I'm not a huge lover of women's tennis but I really enjoyed that.

Pretty Boy
11-07-2017, 05:54 PM
All over. Great stuff, apart from the fool shouting out in the crowd at the end. Semi final it is for Konta.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2017, 06:07 PM
All over. Great stuff, apart from the fool shouting out in the crowd at the end. Semi final it is for Konta.

Pathetic, it's a real shame that it had to end like that. I don't understand why people feel the need to scream and make other loud noises during a point. There's an argument that the point should have been replayed to be honest.

lugz
11-07-2017, 06:17 PM
Pathetic, it's a real shame that it had to end like that. I don't understand why people feel the need to scream and make other loud noises during a point. There's an argument that the point should have been replayed to be honest.

Yeah I think it should have. It's a shame people are talking about this after such a fantastic match.

Sergey
11-07-2017, 06:31 PM
I really don't get the love-in with Konta. She was happy to represent Australia up until a few years ago and is now 'British No: 1' after gaining residency - she's as British as Zola Budd and has now based herself in Spain.

It's not right in my eyes.

lord bunberry
11-07-2017, 08:04 PM
I really don't get the love-in with Konta. She was happy to represent Australia up until a few years ago and is now 'British No: 1' after gaining residency - she's as British as Zola Budd and has now based herself in Spain.

It's Greg Rusedski all over again. It doesn't really bother me tbh, but as you say she isn't British.

Mikey
11-07-2017, 08:26 PM

Konta's looking decent but I'm not sure about Djokovic. His shoulder was giving him a fair bit of trouble late in the game today.

I've got a cash out option of 94 quid but I'm planning on seeing it out.........

Sir David Gray
11-07-2017, 09:11 PM

I quite like her as a person and as a player but not because I class her as a "home player".

It's the same with Aljaz Bedene.

Speedy
11-07-2017, 10:04 PM
I quite like her as a person and as a player but not because I class her as a "home player".

It's the same with Aljaz Bedene.

Konta is borderline for me but I can accept her Britishness. Moved to UK with her parents at school age.

Bedene moved to the UK at 19 to pusue a tennis career, he's not British.

HibernianJK
11-07-2017, 10:26 PM
Konta is borderline for me but I can accept her Britishness. Moved to UK with her parents at school age.

That Bedene pissed me off a few weeks ago when he said he was going to go and play for another country in the Davis cup again - not a fan of him at all and certainly didn't support him during his time in Wimbledon.

Speedy
11-07-2017, 10:50 PM
That Bedene pissed me off a few weeks ago when he said he was going to go and play for another country in the Davis cup again - not a fan of him at all and certainly didn't support him during his time in Wimbledon.

In his, partial, defence he wants to play for gb but isn't allowed.

The fact he's now looking elsewhere shows it's more of a career more than anything else though.

Sir David Gray
11-07-2017, 11:00 PM

If he wants to play in the Davis Cup his only option will be Slovenia. The reason he can't play for GB is that the ITF won't allow players to represent more than one nation in the Davis Cup and he's already played for Slovenia, which is his country of birth.

LancsHibs
12-07-2017, 07:25 AM

I'm going to celebrate the 1st British ladies champion for 40 years with a kangaroo goulash if she wins

Betty Boop
12-07-2017, 12:47 PM
He'll be knackered. Easy meat.

Muller takes the first set against Cilic 6-3 :greengrin

BroxburnHibee
12-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Shocking end to that set from Murray. These stupid lapses tend to cost him.

Then he breaks the guy right away at the beginning of the 3rd :greengrin

Diclonius
12-07-2017, 01:33 PM
The Jo Konta row is endemic of the problems we have with national identity in this country. She has British citizenship, she moved here at a young age. She's British.

National identity isn't something you're not allowed to have if you're not born in the country you live in.

heretoday
12-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Drives me crazy watching Andy.

BroxburnHibee
12-07-2017, 02:21 PM
Murray is in trouble here. Maybe the hip injury is back.

Mikey
12-07-2017, 02:22 PM
Murray is in trouble here. Maybe the hip injury is back.

Yep, it's going to take some turnaround.

cabbageandribs1875
12-07-2017, 02:37 PM
i put £20 on querrey @3/1 when he broke murrays serve the first time in set 4

easty
12-07-2017, 02:43 PM

The Jo Konta row is endemic of the problems we have with national identity in this country. She has British citizenship, she moved here at a young age. She's British.

National identity isn't something you're not allowed to have if you're not born in the country you live in.

She moved here at 14, because her family thought it best for her tennis career. She's not British.

wpj
12-07-2017, 02:43 PM
I went to prep some food and do a bit of gardening when Andy was 1 up and looked like cruising! On the ropes a wee bit now though

Mikey
12-07-2017, 02:45 PM
The way he's hobbling, even if he does claw it back he's never going to get past Federer or Djokovic.

cabbageandribs1875
12-07-2017, 02:51 PM
new hips

Moulin Yarns
12-07-2017, 02:56 PM
She moved here at 14, because her family thought it best for her tennis career. She's not British.

She became a British citizen in 2012, giving her Australian citizenship. That makes her British.

BroxburnHibee
12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Murray clearly injured. Well done to Querrey though.

wpj
12-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Shame but fair play to Querry. Great serve.

easty
12-07-2017, 02:58 PM
She became a British citizen in 2012, giving her Australian citizenship. That makes her British.

She's got British citizenship...doesn't make her British. I work with an American girl with British citizenship, she doesn't claim to be British...maybe she would if it meant she'd get loads of UK funding to play sport though :cb

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Has he mentioned anything about being injured? He didn't look to be hitting the ball very hard and he wasn't his usual self in those last 2 sets.

heretoday
12-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Hip injury. Needs to get that sorted. He's had it all his life apparently.

Mikey
12-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Has he mentioned anything about being injured? He didn't look to be hitting the ball very hard and he wasn't his usual self in those last 2 sets.

I think it was fairly common knowledge that he was carrying an injury.

But obviously you didn't know :greengrin

It'll be interesting to see if Djokovic's shoulder injury from yesterday has cleared up.

Moulin Yarns
12-07-2017, 03:06 PM
She's got British citizenship...doesn't make her British. I work with an American girl with British citizenship, she doesn't claim to be British...maybe she would if it meant she'd get loads of UK funding to play sport though :cb

In her own words

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/sports/australian-open-britains-johanna-konta-credits-mind-set-for-rapid-rise.html?_r=1

The 5-foot-11 Konta appreciated the flattery, or what passed for it. “It’s a compliment for you guys to be interested in my Australian roots,” she said, “but unfortunately it’s going to be a very boring answer.”

Konta added: “I’m very happy, very pleased to be representing Great Britain. That is my home. That is where my heart is. That’s where my parents are. That’s where I grew up essentially. So when people ask where I’m from, where is home, that’s where it is.”

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 03:11 PM
I think it was fairly common knowledge that he was carrying an injury.

But obviously you didn't know :greengrin

It'll be interesting to see if Djokovic's shoulder injury from yesterday has cleared up.
I did know:greengrin it was just that his camp were absolutely adamant that he had fully recovered. I just thought he might've given us a bit more insight into how bad it was.

easty
12-07-2017, 03:29 PM
In her own words

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/28/sports/australian-open-britains-johanna-konta-credits-mind-set-for-rapid-rise.html?_r=1

It's not essentially where she grew up, so in her own words...she's talking ****.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/23/sydney-born-tennis-sensation-johanna-konta-says-her-heart-is-with-britain

She left Australia at 14, to go to Spain for 15 months to train there. Her parents didn't want to be all the way across the other side of the world so moved to the UK. She moved to the UK after her 15 months in Spain, so she was probably 15 years old when she came to the UK. She didn't grow up here.

Also -

Growing up in Collaroy, NSW, Konta found herself with a racquet at the tender age of eight after her Hungarian-born parents introduced her to the sport.

Up until her early teenage years, the young woman was part of the Australian tennis developmental pathway.

But in 2004, when the Australian Sports Commission reduced its budget, Konta's funding was cut because she was regarded as 'lacking the requisite talent and potential', the Herald Sun reported.

She was home-schooled from the age of 12 so she could play tennis full-time.

At the age of 14, Konta moved to Barcelona for a 15-month stint at the Sanchez Casal academy to pursue her tennis dream.

'I left because my parents felt that the travel was just too long back and forth from Australia and we wanted to find a base in Europe,' Konta said in 2015.

'I was training in Spain for 15 months and while I was there my parents didn't want to be halfway around the world away from their 14-year-old daughter.

'So they migrated to the UK because they had Hungarian passports and that's in the EU, so they could work there.'

Konta said her original plan was to stay in Spain but when 'things didn't work out' she moved back in with her folks in Britain.

In recent years, the tennis sensation was constantly pressed about whether she would ever return to her roots.

'Australia is my birth home so it will always be a home of some sort,' she said.

'But I'm very happy, very pleased to be representing Great Britain. That is my home and that is where my heart is.

Mikey
12-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Djokovic retires injured. Just give it to Federer now!

Sir David Gray
12-07-2017, 05:15 PM
I was quite looking forward to a Djokovic-Federer semi on Friday as well!

I can't believe either Marin Cilic or Sam Querrey will be in the final.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2017, 05:23 PM
Federer through in straight sets.

Sergey
12-07-2017, 06:03 PM
It's not essentially where she grew up, so in her own words...she's talking ****.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jan/23/sydney-born-tennis-sensation-johanna-konta-says-her-heart-is-with-britain

She left Australia at 14, to go to Spain for 15 months to train there. Her parents didn't want to be all the way across the other side of the world so moved to the UK. She moved to the UK after her 15 months in Spain, so she was probably 15 years old when she came to the UK. She didn't grow up here.

Also -

Good post, easty - my thoughts exactly :aok:

Konta is as British as those Kenyans representing Qatar at athletics or the Samoans in the English rugby team.

FWIW - I read the other day that she's now applied for residency of Monaco (sorry - can't find link and can't be arsed searching).

lord bunberry
12-07-2017, 07:46 PM

Konta is as British as those Kenyans representing Qatar at athletics or the Samoans in the English rugby team.

FWIW - I read the other day that she's now applied for residency of Monaco (sorry - can't find link and can't be arsed searching).
She's British through convenience . If it had been France that had offered her a better deal, she would be French.

G B Young
12-07-2017, 08:21 PM
Don't think Andy would have played if it hadn't been Wimbledon. Even though he won the first set you could see his movement wasn't quite right even at that stage. By the third and fourth set it was sheer willpower that kept him going. He should probably have retired like Djokovic but he's a true champ as this article sums up well:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/leader-a-true-champion-shows-what-he-s-made-of-in-defeat-1-4502351

Hopefully he's not done himself further damage by seeing it through to the end, but I suspect we may not see him compete again this year.

Sir David Gray
12-07-2017, 08:48 PM
Don't think Andy would have played if it hadn't been Wimbledon. Even though he won the first set you could see his movement wasn't quite right even at that stage. By the third and fourth set it was sheer willpower that kept him going. He should probably have retired like Djokovic but he's a true champ as this article sums up well:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/leader-a-true-champion-shows-what-he-s-made-of-in-defeat-1-4502351

Hopefully he's not done himself further damage by seeing it through to the end, but I suspect we may not see him compete again this year.

I saw footage of him walking to his car tonight and he looked in a lot of discomfort. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but based on what I saw tonight, I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again for several months.

hibsbollah
13-07-2017, 11:28 AM

If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that you feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.

easty
13-07-2017, 12:07 PM
If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.

There's very little similarity between the Mo Farah and Johanna Konta situations in my opinion.

GreenLake
13-07-2017, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't mind a foreign born footballer playing for Scotland, as long as he had a whisky once. Our nation has been burdened by forced servitude, the clearances and economic induced migration.

Our footballing genes have been severely depleted.

We should be allowed to give rapid citizenship and nationality to anyone that can run past two men, cross a ball or curl one into the top corner. Maybe even have a chip a keeper penalty lottery for a visa.

hibsbollah
13-07-2017, 03:34 PM
There's very little similarity between the Mo Farah and Johanna Konta situations in my opinion.

The central similarity is, like me, Konta and Farah were born outside the UK but choose to compete for their 'adopted' country. (personally, I am ready to answer Mr Strachan's call at any time, should he have been watching my performances at fives recently, but that's another story ).

easty
13-07-2017, 04:50 PM
The central similarity is, like me, Konta and Farah were born outside the UK but choose to compete for their 'adopted' country. (personally, I am ready to answer Mr Strachan's call at any time, should he have been watching my performances at fives recently, but that's another story ).

Mo Farah competed for his adopted country, Konta competed for her adopted pay cheque.

HUTCHYHIBBY
13-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Has Hingis been hiding on The Tardis? What a fine looking woman she continues to be, as well as a great tennis player.

Smartie
14-07-2017, 09:37 AM
If someone wants to be British and they satisfy the requirements, that should be the end of the sniping. I don't like all this judgemental pish, to be honest. I remember from a previous post that you feel the same about Mo Farah because he's from Somalia.

I totally agree.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am 100% Scottish and would not under any technicality have the opportunity to represent any other nation.

It seems that people who have similar heritage feel the need to judge others whose backgrounds are maybe a little more complicated.

Somewhere along the line, someone who is part -British, grew up mainly in Australia (but also spent a reasonable amount of time in Spain) to Hungarian parents is going to have to make a call as to which nation they represent. Whatever that person chooses to be the deciding factor behind that decision is entirely theirs.

I wish we could just leave them be, let them get on with it and if they happen to be from the same country as you, just get behind them instead of sniping about what their motivation may be.

Treadstone
14-07-2017, 12:27 PM
I totally agree.

For the avoidance of doubt, I am 100% Scottish and would not under any technicality have the opportunity to represent any other nation.

It seems that people who have similar heritage feel the need to judge others whose backgrounds are maybe a little more complicated.

Somewhere along the line, someone who is part -British, grew up mainly in Australia (but also spent a reasonable amount of time in Spain) to Hungarian parents is going to have to make a call as to which nation they represent. Whatever that person chooses to be the deciding factor behind that decision is entirely theirs.

I wish we could just leave them be, let them get on with it and if they happen to be from the same country as you, just get behind them instead of sniping about what their motivation may be.

Well said. Too many people trying to tell others what they can and can't claim. Draconian.

easty
14-07-2017, 12:53 PM
Well said. Too many people trying to tell others what they can and can't claim. Draconian.

She can claim whatever she wants.

A wee lassie can selotape a stick to her ponies head and claim it's a unicorn. Doesn't make it so.

heretoday
14-07-2017, 04:55 PM
Federer has the support of virtually the whole centre court plus the BBC. It's the Federer Road Show.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 05:14 PM
Federer two sets up against Berdych, both tiebreaks.

Looks like yet another Grand Slam final for Roger.

Sir David Gray
14-07-2017, 05:51 PM
Federer through 7-6 7-6 6-4 and will face Marin Cilic in Sunday's final.

--------
14-07-2017, 06:15 PM
I saw footage of him walking to his car tonight and he looked in a lot of discomfort. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about but based on what I saw tonight, I really wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play again for several months.

He should have done what Djokovic did, IMO, and chucked it in before the end.

He was in increasingly severe discomfort (read 'pain')well before the start of the final set. He needs to look after himself.

BTW - I'm very glad Cilic beat the Yank.

heretoday
15-07-2017, 01:48 AM
He should have done what Djokovic did, IMO, and chucked it in before the end.

He was in increasingly severe discomfort (read 'pain')well before the start of the final set. He needs to look after himself.

BTW - I'm very glad Cilic beat the Yank.

I don't think Andy would ever chuck it in before the end. Especially not in front of the Wimbledon faithfull.

Tennis is strange. You would put money on Fed to win the crown but if Cilic gets on a roll you never know.

cabbageandribs1875
15-07-2017, 12:07 PM
2/11 Federer to win, no wee bet for me today then :( but if anyone fancies cilic he's 4/1

hibsbollah
15-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Venus getting a beating so far in the final, a set and a break down. Looks to be struggling physically.

lord bunberry
16-07-2017, 11:29 AM
I'm watching the ladies wheelchair doubles. Their arms must be agony at the end of a game! The rallies go on for ages and they obviously have to use their arms to move around and hit the ball.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 11:52 AM
I'm watching the ladies wheelchair doubles. Their arms must be agony at the end of a game! The rallies go on for ages and they obviously have to use their arms to move around and hit the ball.

I used to play wheelchair tennis quite a bit a few years ago and it's an extremely tiring sport. You need to keep the chair moving throughout each point or it's just impossible to win.

I used to play in tournaments along with Jordanne Whiley and it's great to see her do so well. She was always very talented with a lot of potential but she seems to have really progressed a lot over the last 3 or 4 years.

She's just won the title again with her partner.

Well done to her.

lord bunberry
16-07-2017, 11:59 AM
I used to play wheelchair tennis quite a bit a few years ago and it's an extremely tiring sport. You need to keep the chair moving throughout each point or it's just impossible to win.

I used to play in tournaments along with Jordanne Whiley and it's great to see her do so well. She was always very talented with a lot of potential but she seems to have really progressed a lot over the last 3 or 4 years.

She's just won the title again with her partner.

Well done to her.
I think that's 4 years in a row they've won it.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 12:18 PM
I think that's 4 years in a row they've won it.

Yep it is, very impressive. Great success for Britain after Gordon Reid and Alfie Hewett won the men's doubles yesterday.

Pretty Boy
16-07-2017, 01:26 PM
I think Cilic could do this. Federer looking unusually uncomfortable at times.

I daresay he'll figure it all out soon enough though.

Pretty Boy
16-07-2017, 01:31 PM
Put the hex on him there then.....

BroxburnHibee
16-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Fed looking majestic.

Cilic not getting 1st serve in enough.

Pretty Boy
16-07-2017, 02:09 PM
Fed looking majestic.

Cilic not getting 1st serve in enough.

From about the 4th game onwards Federer has looked imperious. Cilic seems like he'd rather be anywhere else in the world right now.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 02:14 PM
Such a shame for Cilic who is clearly injured. I was really looking forward to this but it's been a non event so far after the first 15 minutes.

No way back now.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 02:51 PM
Federer wins 6-3 6-1 6-4 for his eighth Wimbledon title and 19th Grand Slam title.

Pretty Boy
16-07-2017, 02:53 PM
Total procession, shame Cilic had the injury issues as it was never really competitive.

As for Federer, he must be edging towards the greatest sportsperson of all time tag. He's almost beyond human and everything he's achieved has been in an era featuring some of the best tennis players of all time as competition.

Sir David Gray
16-07-2017, 03:17 PM
Total procession, shame Cilic had the injury issues as it was never really competitive.

As for Federer, he must be edging towards the greatest sportsperson of all time tag. He's almost beyond human and everything he's achieved has been in an era featuring some of the best tennis players of all time as competition.

He's already surpassed all other tennis players and he's certainly in the same league as Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, Usain Bolt and Pele.

His numbers are staggering, I have so much admiration for what he's achieved. He's almost 36 now and is arguably better now than he was in his so called prime 10 years ago. It's remarkable.

ekhibee
17-07-2017, 12:33 AM
Federer is one of the very best tennis players that's ever played the game, there can be no doubt about that at all. It was interesting that a couple of times the coverage focussed on Rod Laver, who Federer is friendly with and uses as a role model. Laver, IMO was the best male player ever to play the game, but there can't be much between them now.

heretoday
17-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Andy and Novak should take more breaks between grand slams like Fed does. They're so knackered even a 35 year old could beat them!

--------
17-07-2017, 12:59 PM
Andy and Novak should take more breaks between grand slams like Fed does. They're so knackered even a 35 year old could beat them!

Bang on. :agree:

I actually though Andy should have pulled out at the end of the 4th set in the semi. He was obviously in trouble.

--------
17-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Venus getting a beating so far in the final, a set and a break down. Looks to be struggling physically.

I thought she more or less gave up.

Ach well, now she know what it feels like .... :devil:

17-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Federers the greatest ever, phenomenal player even now that he's a bit older.

--------
17-07-2017, 05:26 PM

I think you're right. They're doing too much, not letting injuries heal properly.

Federer spells himself between tournaments, which means he can give more time to his family. It's good to have a proper life outside the sport.

G B Young
17-07-2017, 07:18 PM
Great win for Jamie Murray in the Mixed Doubles. Teaming up with Hingis made for a pretty strong team but for him to have won four Grand Slam doubles titles is no mean feat and were it not for Andy's extraordinary exploits Jamie would enjoy a higher profile as one of the top sportsmen to have come out of Scotland.

Sir David Gray
17-07-2017, 09:03 PM
Federer is one of the very best tennis players that's ever played the game, there can be no doubt about that at all. It was interesting that a couple of times the coverage focussed on Rod Laver, who Federer is friendly with and uses as a role model. Laver, IMO was the best male player ever to play the game, but there can't be much between them now.

I don't want to take anything away from Rod Laver and his achievements, winning all four Grand Slams in the same calendar year is some feat and he remains the only man to do that in the Open Era. However the sport has moved on so much in the last 50 years, the players are just so much fitter now, the professionalism and athleticism is much more of a focus than it was back then and I just feel that Roger Federer's achievements are a lot more remarkable because of that.

Laver won his last Grand Slam title at the age of 31, Federer is a couple of weeks shy of his 36th birthday.

Players now are basically playing tennis for 52 weeks of the year, they hardly get any rest and even when they're not playing in tournaments, they're out on the practice court or in the gym working on their fitness.

Federer has just surpassed all records imaginable to be honest and it's hard to see anyone matching him any time soon. It's been a privilege watching him play over the last 14 years or so and tennis will sorely miss him once he finally decides to hang up his racket.

heretoday
17-07-2017, 10:51 PM
I think you're right. They're doing too much, not letting injuries heal properly.

Federer spells himself between tournaments, which means he can give more time to his family. It's good to have a proper life outside the sport.

Murray and Novak etc are tied to the tour by contract, I assume. If they took more time off they be in breech. The tennis season would be poorer too. Maybe when they're as old as Fed they can be masters of their domains!