PDA

View Full Version : Musselburgh Racecourse

Pretty Boy
30-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Has lost it's license to stage racing as per a statement from the BHA today. As of now the next fixture on 14th July and all subsequent fixtures can't go ahead.

The BHA have been seeking an independent review into governance of the course for some time and the Musselburgh Joint Racing Committee has consistently refused this. There are 7 members on the MjRC, 4 of whom are members of East Lothian Council who have a fixed majority. They know any independent review will recommend an end to this and are resisting it. They have had the best part of 18 months to come to an agreement and have been warned the loss of it's racing license has been coming for over 6 months but continue to resist.

We have one of the best small courses in the UK and Ireland on our doorstep and 4 people with no racing expertise of knowledge would rather see it close than attempt to compromise or relinquish power. A racecourse that can't stage racing is no use to anyone.

NOLA
30-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Jam roles ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stantonhibby
30-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Has lost it's license to stage racing as per a statement from the BHA today. As of now the next fixture on 14th July and all subsequent fixtures can't go ahead.

The BHA have been seeking an independent review into governance of the course for some time and the Musselburgh Joint Racing Committee has consistently refused this. There are 7 members on the MjRC, 4 of whom are members of East Lothian Council who have a fixed majority. They know any independent review will recommend an end to this and are resisting it. They have had the best part of 18 months to come to an agreement and have been warned the loss of it's racing license has been coming for over 6 months but continue to resist.

We have one of the best small courses in the UK and Ireland on our doorstep and 4 people with no racing expertise of knowledge would rather see it close than attempt to compromise or relinquish power. A racecourse that can't stage racing is no use to anyone.

So the options now are MJRC agree to a review or the course stays closed ?

Pretty Boy
01-07-2017, 01:06 AM
So the options now are MJRC agree to a review or the course stays closed ?

Yes. As it stands they have no license.

They need to reapply and the only way the application will be succeasful is if there is agreement to the review.

stantonhibby
01-07-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks. What a mess. Great wee course on our doorstep, would be a travesty if it isnt all sorted out.

ronaldo7
01-07-2017, 10:34 AM

This is the stumbling block, as the council members know they'll have some searching questions to answer. They'll also lose their majority on the board.

Willie Innes keeping the BHA at a long arm, is not helping the course or the punters.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2017, 10:40 AM
This is the stumbling block, as the council members know they'll have some searching questions to answer. They'll also lose their majority on the board.

Willie Innes keeping the BHA at a long arm, is not helping the course or the punters.
Indeed.

I had relatively high hopes Innes may have been an improvement on his predecessor but that seems to be a hope of the forlorn variety.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
02-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but having been a frequent visitor to the track I can honestly say it's never been better than it is now. It used to be an absolute ****hole, but the improvement in the place is unbelievable.
What is it that the BHA have a problem with?

Pretty Boy
02-07-2017, 02:49 PM
Excuse my ignorance on this matter, but having been a frequent visitor to the track I can honestly say it's never been better than it is now. It used to be an absolute ****hole, but the improvement in the place is unbelievable.
What is it that the BHA have a problem with?

From what I can gather it's the racecourse staff who have forced the BHAs involvement by passing a vote of no confidence in the current committee and threatening strike action.

I'm unsure what their issue is but there was a statement released on their behalf earlier in the year saying the current set up was 'unsustainable'. The 3 non council members of the committee agreed and accepted the BHA ordering a review but as a minority were unable to force it through.

lord bunberry
02-07-2017, 04:50 PM
From what I can gather it's the racecourse staff who have forced the BHAs involvement by passing a vote of no confidence in the current committee and threatening strike action.

I'm unsure what their issue is but there was a statement released on their behalf earlier in the year saying the current set up was 'unsustainable'. The 3 non council members of the committee agreed and accepted the BHA ordering a review but as a minority were unable to force it through.

Ok thanks. It seems like things aren't as rosy as they seem from the outside.

ronaldo7
04-07-2017, 05:45 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/musselburgh-racecourse-workers-fearing-for-livelihoods-1-4494680

stantonhibby
04-07-2017, 07:10 PM
http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/musselburgh-racecourse-workers-fearing-for-livelihoods-1-4494680

Shambolic state of affairs

NOLA
04-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Maybe the land is worth more cash [emoji383] wise and the sitting members of the council will be quids in should that land turn into flats

lugz
04-07-2017, 09:27 PM
Maybe the land is worth more cash [emoji383] wise and the sitting members of the council will be quids in should that land turn into flats

Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest and to be honest I'd probably buy a flat/house if they were built. I stay right next to the racecourse now.

Pretty Boy
04-07-2017, 09:46 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. The golf course probably provides some protection given it's historical importance but the council were happy enough to approve a development partially altering that last year despite local and wider opposition so who knows. Typical price of everything, value of nothing mentality you seem to get in a lot of local authorities.

Pretty Boy
05-07-2017, 08:46 PM
http://www.skysports.com/racing/news/12426/10937647/musselburgh-on-the-brink-of-losing-fixture

Yet they are still advertising on local radio and selling tickets despite there being little chance of the 14th July fixture going ahead.

Something stinks with this and it wouldn't shock me if the council want the course closed so they can sell it for other uses as suggested above.

stantonhibby
07-07-2017, 08:11 AM
Stay of execution apparently as Council have now agreed to a review.

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Thats good to hear.

HibernianJK
07-07-2017, 09:54 AM
I would struggle to think the Council could be forgiven by a the vast population of Edinburgh and the Lothians if it was closed never mind Musselburgh.

Jack
11-08-2017, 03:34 PM
They're racing at Musselburgh!

Pretty Boy
23-02-2018, 09:25 AM
So this has reared it's head again.

Independent review reports it's findings, ELC refuse calls to make them public and plan a private meeting for next week excluding the non council members of the MJRC, they announce plans to take the course under full council control and amend the contracts of the permanent staff so they become council employees rather than racecourse employees and now the staff are threatening a walkout. All whilst the temporary license is due to expire on April 7th and the BHA have made it clear if this plan goes ahead then there will be no extension, temporary or otherwise, granted. They lost 2 racing days last year but that looks like the tip of the iceberg as it stands.

Of course they are still aggressively marketing and taking money for Ladies Day in June despite having no license to stage the meeting.:rolleyes: