PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Record being The Daily Record.

Carheenlea
27-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Great statement from Linfield FC tearing up what little credibility the Daily Record had remaining to shreds.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.aspx?id=17709&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mr White
27-06-2017, 08:23 AM
Joe Miller giving Pinocchio a run for his money there it seems :greengrin

Geo_1875
27-06-2017, 08:24 AM
Absolutely incredible (like most DR "stories").

I hope this is widely circulated in Scotland.

InchHibby
27-06-2017, 08:26 AM
This is probably the main reason I don't buy this rag.

Golden Bear
27-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Great statement from Linfield FC tearing up what little credibility the Daily Record had remaining to shreds.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/latestnews.aspx?id=17709&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Beggars belief.

Ozyhibby
27-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Daily Record has a clear agenda to stoke up trouble ahead of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just Jimmy
27-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Unbelievable

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

R'Albin
27-06-2017, 08:34 AM
What a total embarrassment of a paper.

tamig
27-06-2017, 08:40 AM
I hope their solicitors hammer them. Absolute comic of a supposed news outlet. Haven't bought it since the KT fiasco.

hibsbollah
27-06-2017, 08:44 AM
If you buy it you're an idiot. Saying anything else is just political correctness gone mad :agree:

The Baldmans Comb
27-06-2017, 08:45 AM
I always have a quiet chuckle at anyone I see reading the Daily Record.

Imagine paying money to buy something that repeatedly insults your intelligence. Have some self respect.

And as for anyone who says "Agh red it in ra record".

FFS.

.Sean.
27-06-2017, 08:46 AM
Solicitors involved.

Cannot wait to hear from that rag and that erse Miller. Must be mortified. How pish must your life be to have to make up a story to the daily record about non-existent events in a game that didn't happen 😂

Smartie
27-06-2017, 08:49 AM
Good for Linfield for sticking up for themselves in the face of such utter nonsense.

There's no need for the Daily Record to be making a game that will already be a powder keg out to be anything more than it already is.

Iain G
27-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Quick check online, they played Shelbourne and Dundalk pre-season not for 1995/96 but 1996/97 season... :confused:

brog
27-06-2017, 08:57 AM
I loathe Linfield but that's a stonker of a statement. Never mind the DR, wot was Joe Miller drinking?

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2017, 09:00 AM
You have to remember it was during the war years, was there not a fake match broadcast on a Saturday on radio to let the Germans think we were carrying on as usual?

To be fair, this would actually be funny if it was not so serious.

The Captain....
27-06-2017, 09:02 AM
It's the utter and continuing disregard for any sort of verification or fact checking in that rag that I find so unacceptable. It's hardly the first, second or even tenth time they have clearly failed to bother to perform even a cursory two minute validation of a story.

They take a position, pump up the hyperbole to eleven, then invent a narrative to suit their agenda. I shouldn't be surprised but it's a real bugbear of mine at the moment the way the media in general reports things and the Record is perhaps the most tawdry version or example of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brog
27-06-2017, 09:09 AM
If you buy it you're an idiot. Saying anything else is just political correctness gone mad :agree:

And yet, posters on here constantly quote Kenny Millar from the Sun, a paper which will forever be remembered for its shocking lies re Hillsborough. Personally I wouldn't have the Sun or the Daily Mail in my house but neither would i call their collective readership idiots. It's a personal choice issue & one which we should respect.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2017, 09:12 AM
There'll be much more crap like this in the days leading up to our game @ Greyskull.

hibsbollah
27-06-2017, 09:13 AM
And yet, posters on here constantly quote Kenny Millar from the Sun, a paper which will forever be remembered for its shocking lies re Hillsborough. Personally I wouldn't have the Sun or the Daily Mail in my house but neither would i call their collective readership idiots. It's a personal choice issue & one which we should respect.

Im not disrespectful of stupidity, I am stupid from time to time myself. You just have to identify it for what it is. Choosing to read the DR is a mark of idiocy.

Iain G
27-06-2017, 09:16 AM

I think it's more Kenny Millar being quoted rather than the rag he works for...

Baader
27-06-2017, 09:20 AM
Record fabricating stories and printing lies again. Wish someone would just shut them down along with another lying red top rag...

Make no mistake, the Daily Ranger hates Hibs.

Bill Milne
27-06-2017, 09:24 AM

Kenny being a Hibby and the son of a good friend, Brian, my respect lies with him and not the paper he writes for.

Jim44
27-06-2017, 09:29 AM
I think it's more Kenny Millar being quoted rather than the rag he works for...

I fail to see the difference. If the Sun is charged with lying, distorting and exaggerating etc. KM has to be tarred with the same brush. Fly with the crows ....... and all that. The fact he has some tenuous link with Hibs doesn't set him apart from his employers.

banarc7062
27-06-2017, 09:33 AM

Should this "false" reporting of a non game not be investigated by the Press Commission?

we are hibs
27-06-2017, 09:47 AM
I fail to see the difference. If the Sun is charged with lying, distorting and exaggerating etc. KM has to be tarred with the same brush. Fly with the crows ....... and all that. The fact he has some tenuous link with Hibs doesn't set him apart from his employers.

His stories about hibs are usually spot on regardless of what you think of who he works for.

brianmc
27-06-2017, 09:53 AM

Going by that analogy we should all boycott the BBC after several of their former stars were convicted of being sex offenders. Using your way of thinking ALL BBC employees should be regarded as sex offenders - which goes to show how stupid your comment actually is.
I prefer to judge people on an individual basis rather than use such wild generalisations.
On that basis I'd suggest Kenny Millar appears to be a good journalist who has excellent sources in regards to our club.
Whereas Joe Miller is apparently a lying little scrote.

Jim44
27-06-2017, 09:56 AM
Going by that analogy we should all boycott the BBC after several of their former stars were convicted of being sex offenders. Using your way of thinking ALL BBC employees should be regarded as sex offenders - which goes to show how stupid your comment actually is.
I prefer to judge people on an individual basis rather than use such wild generalisations.
On that basis I'd suggest Kenny Millar appears to be a good journalist who has excellent sources in regards to our club.

Fine.

high bee
27-06-2017, 10:07 AM

I would take anything printed in the Sun or DR with a pinch of salt due to the fact I have seen some of the stuff they have printed. However I make an exception for what Kenny Millar says about Hibs because he has proven to be very accurate time and time again.

Ozyhibby
27-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Would have been nice if Hibs had called them out on the all 11 players were attacked headline.

brog
27-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Kenny being a Hibby and the son of a good friend, Brian, my respect lies with him and not the paper he writes for.

I agree Bill, ( I've had some correspondence with Kenny & he seems a fine guy ) I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of posters on here calling DR readers idiots but rushing to repeat Twitter feeds from a Sun journalist. Presumably if a Hibs supporting DR columnist was tweeting informed comments about Hibs then the DR would suddenly become acceptable. FWIW I took the time to write a complaint to the DR after their cup final coverage & stating I would no longer buy their newspaper. I doubt many on here took that action & for me that's more effective than coming on here with sanctimonious & patronising comments on tens of thousands ( 3 million total audience ) of people who exercise their choice ( not mine ) to buy the DR.

SON OF PADDY
27-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Brilliant reply from Linfield FC. 👏👏👏👏

JeMeSouviens
27-06-2017, 10:22 AM
Would have been nice if Hibs had called them out on the all 11 players were attacked headline.

I think that falls into the wrestling-with-a-pig category: you both end up covered in **** but the pig loves it.

Eaststandee
27-06-2017, 10:22 AM

The Sun is a dispacable pile of **** that blatantly lies to sell a paper. Using lies and slander to bring down political parties that threaten it's owners wealth and the end result is always terrible for the working class. The disgusting immoral reporting of Hillsbourgh should stop anyone reading or sharing the Suns bile never mind trying to defend it.

I'm unsure how bringing up the BBC's shady past makes The Sun okay to read.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Betty Boop
27-06-2017, 10:24 AM

Exactly

SirDavidsNapper
27-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Linfied growing on me slightly after that. It's about time the DR was shut down imo.

Mon Dieu4
27-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Must be the first time Linfield has ever had the moral high ground on anything, it's like pitting Fred West against Dr Shipman

Argylehibby
27-06-2017, 11:12 AM
Daily Record has a clear agenda to stoke up trouble ahead of the game.

Wait until we are due to visit Ibrox in a few weeks time and see what they and the BEEB conjure up then.

hibsbollah
27-06-2017, 11:16 AM
Wait until we are due to visit Ibrox in a few weeks time and see what they and the BEEB conjure up then.

Exclusive! Hibs top boys stole Saddams WMDs in the late 90s.

WhileTheChief..
27-06-2017, 11:28 AM
So the Daily Record, Sun and Daily Mail are all to be avoided if we go by the opinions of some posters on here.

Might as well throw the BBC and Sky into the mix too eh.

So instead, I've to believe the ramblings of some random internet posters on here yeah?

Just because it's in the papers doesn't mean it's not true.

I wonder, where do you guys all get your news from that's so accurate? I feel like I'm missing out.

Or is it just paranoid pish that you're all spouting?

SChibs
27-06-2017, 11:36 AM
So the Daily Record, Sun and Daily Mail are all to be avoided if we go by the opinions of some posters on here.

So instead, I've to believe the ramblings of some random internet posters on here yeah?

I wonder, where do you guys all get your news from that's so accurate? I feel like I'm missing out.

It's the mainstream media, they all have an agenda of some sort

Beefster
27-06-2017, 11:38 AM
Apparently Joe Miller told the DR writer that he was too tired to do an interview...

Eaststandee
27-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Why is it "paranoid pish" to refuse to get your news from media outlets that you don't believe to be right?

Geo_1875
27-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Does the Record mention the score from the game?

SRHibs
27-06-2017, 11:43 AM
They've misinterpreted the red dots part though. They were just talking about laser pointers which were obviously intended to mimic the red dot from a scope.

Blaster
27-06-2017, 11:44 AM
Why is it "paranoid pish" to refuse to get your news from media outlets that you don't believe to be right?

It's not. And it's your choice. But people telling others not to use them is wrong. Let people make their own minds up

Geo_1875
27-06-2017, 11:44 AM
They've misinterpreted the red dots part though. They were just talking about laser pointers which were obviously intended to mimic the red dot from a scope.

You'll need to read Linfield's response to get the story.

Deansy
27-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Picture of Joe Miller playing in that game against Linfield -

Edinburgh Green
27-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Apparently Joe Miller told the DR writer that he was too tired to do an interview...

:tee hee:

KeithTheHibby
27-06-2017, 12:28 PM
What a fanny Joe Miller is. Nothing surprises me that the article was in the Daily Record. Total gutter press.

snooky
27-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Brilliant response from Linfield. Let's hope all other mistruths printed in the press or stated on tv are exposed for what they are. TBH, these days I view everything in the media as being a lie - until proved true by other sources.

They've held zero credibility with me since all their Y-fronts burst into flames during Indyref1.

Seveno
27-06-2017, 12:45 PM
I always have a quiet chuckle at anyone I see reading the Daily Record.

Imagine paying money to buy something that repeatedly insults your intelligence. Have some self respect.

And as for anyone who says "Agh red it in ra record".

FFS.
If you read the Record then your intelligence cannot be insulted.

superfurryhibby
27-06-2017, 12:46 PM
It's not. And it's your choice. But people telling others not to use them is wrong. Let people make their own minds up

Opinions are part of life and like you say, it's about choice. That's what people making their minds up is all about, Thankfully we are allowed to express views in this country and fortunately you are free to buy the Sun, Mail , Record and subscribe to Sky/Bt Spurt. I think they are crap, but I'm sure you'll not lose sleep over it?

As for the story in the Record, how stupid are they? Did the sports editor not check the game took place or do they just hope no one will notice. This is a fixture with potential to create trouble. Looks like the Record want to fuel that nonsense....not clever.

snooky
27-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Opinions are part of life and like you say, it's about choice. That's what people making their minds up is all about, Thankfully we are allowed to express views in this country and fortunately you are free to buy the Sun, Mail , Record and subscribe to Sky/Bt Spurt. I think they are crap, but I'm sure you'll not lose sleep over it?

As for the story in the Record, how stupid are they? Did the sports editor not check the game took place or do they just hope no one will notice. This is a fixture with potential to create trouble. Looks like the Record want to fuel that nonsense....not clever.

Just waiting for the standard weasel apology appearing at the foot of an inside page in micro font in an attempt to wriggle themselves out of a possible lawsuit.

NAE NOOKIE
27-06-2017, 12:54 PM
If this tie happens there will be enough crap surrounding it without making up crap to make matters even worse ........... As somebody else alluded to, I wonder what nonsense they will come up with to ramp up our trip to Ibrox to 11.

Typical of the DR and a lot of other papers ..... they will work hard to add fuel to the flames and then express surprise and revulsion when the situation they help create turns nasty, blaming everybody apart from themselves.

Blaster
27-06-2017, 12:57 PM

I think they are crap in general too but sometimes they have something which may be relevant that I might read. Then I can decide for myself whether it was tosh or not.

Spot on with this one though. Looks like just trying to start the troublemaking early

Is It On....
27-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Beggars belief.

Very clever..

Is It On....
27-06-2017, 01:05 PM
The only thing you believe in that paper is the date and the price. I know it seems far fetched but I wonder if they even spoke to Joe Miller.

mcohibs
27-06-2017, 01:10 PM

Should we all be held accountable for the actions of our employers then? If I work for a coffee chain that doesn't pay its taxes does that make me an immoral person? If I work for Kensington and Chelsea council am I to blame for the incompetence of those higher up than myself?

I'm sure KM disagrees with the way Hillsborough amongst others was covered. I'm confident that a lot of people currently employed by that paper do as well. However he is doing his job that he is paid to do within the organisation. FWIW I detest the Sun but what does set KM apart is that he is usually spot on with regards to Hibs-related content.

WhileTheChief..
27-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Quick check online, they played Shelbourne and Dundalk pre-season not for 1995/96 but 1996/97 season... :confused:

Maybe Joe Miller got confused with which team he played against.

I doubt he just made the whole story up for giggles.

SanFranHibs
27-06-2017, 02:28 PM

Probably against the old Rangers at Ibrox but the DR could not print that so changed it from playing against The House of Windsor to playing at Windsor Park and changed Red Hands to red dots.

lapsedhibee
27-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Opinions are part of life
So you say.

Mr White
27-06-2017, 03:21 PM

Confused about which team he played against... and which country he was in at the time too. Either way he's made a bit of a fool of himself. I actually think the whole thing is hilarious as I've got no time for Miller, Linfield or the Daily Record. Two of them have failed badly and been made to look foolish in public and the other is spitting feathers. Pleasing :greengrin

alhibby
27-06-2017, 05:54 PM
I see he has now apologised for getting it wrong

Devastated Joe Miller has apologised to Linfield Football Club for claiming he was targeted by fans at Windsor Park.

The former Celtic star last week conducted an interview with Scottish daily newspapers at a charity football match launch where he recalled an incident during a friendly game for Aberdeen in the 1990s.

Miller recalled a tale of a match in Belfast and claimed “there were red dots on us for the whole 90 minutes”. He wrongly believed the match had taken place at Windsor Park.

Miller also claimed he and several team-mates had been abused outside a pub near the ground. The Daily Record contacted Miller after the interview to clarify his claims and he insisted it wasn’t a friendly but a training game with no official result.

Miller has apologised over the incident he wrongly believed took place at Windsor Park
Miller admits his regret over the furore and insists his remarks weren’t intended to offend.

He said: “During an interview last week with several members of the Scottish press I recounted an event but I got the grounds mixed up. I realise that now. I mistakenly thought it was Windsor Park but it wasn’t.

“This event occurred over 25 years ago and my memory has let me down. I apologise to Linfield football Club for any offence taken. These comments weren’t intended to be a slight on the club or their fans.”

hibsbollah
27-06-2017, 05:58 PM
So he's now saying he got the stadia location wrong and it was a training game. If it was just a training game, was it with linfield or somebody else, and does he still stand by the laser pens for 90 mins story?

Smells like...

BroxburnHibee
27-06-2017, 06:49 PM
So he's now saying he got the stadia location wrong and it was a training game. If it was just a training game, was it with linfield or somebody else, and does he still stand by the laser pens for 90 mins story?

Smells like...

I'm willing to bet the 'so called' journo added that bit himself.

Sammy7nil
27-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Im not disrespectful of stupidity, I am stupid from time to time myself. You just have to identify it for what it is. Choosing to read the DR is a mark of idiocy.

There are a lot of people out there that would say posting on .Net is idiocy :greengrin lets not be so judemental people can choose what they want to do and that is a good thing.

Hibrandenburg
27-06-2017, 10:17 PM
The only thing you believe in that paper is the date and the price. I know it seems far fetched but I wonder if they even spoke to Joe Miller.

Would be funny if he too set his lawyers on them.

monktonharp
27-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Or is it just paranoid pish that you're all spouting?er, you've missed out on Fox news. CNN for me, Ammanpor to be exact. the bbc have been brought up to go the government way, and still do that so don't try to avoid that. depends on what government you'd like/prefer I suppose but I am personally of the opinion that they are biased..............to my opinions, and it is only mine

Bill Milne
28-06-2017, 07:42 AM
I agree Bill, ( I've had some correspondence with Kenny & he seems a fine guy ) I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of posters on here calling DR readers idiots but rushing to repeat Twitter feeds from a Sun journalist. Presumably if a Hibs supporting DR columnist was tweeting informed comments about Hibs then the DR would suddenly become acceptable. FWIW I took the time to write a complaint to the DR after their cup final coverage & stating I would no longer buy their newspaper. I doubt many on here took that action & for me that's more effective than coming on here with sanctimonious & patronising comments on tens of thousands ( 3 million total audience ) of people who exercise their choice ( not mine ) to buy the DR.

Actually, I stopped buying the Daily and Sunday Huns straight after the Cup Final and most, if not all, of my mates did likewise.

InchHibby
28-06-2017, 07:51 AM

From the DR the Sun and the Daily Mail, where else.