PDA

View Full Version : Mcginn swap?

Flyingwaitor
25-06-2017, 07:57 PM
If its to be believed, St Mirren would be due 33% of any sell on fee? Do you think Hibs could just swap him? No fee just a straight swap? eg Henderson and Mckay-Steven? I dont know if this kind of thing is possible...or if St Mirren get Hendo's right leg as their 33% 😉

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
25-06-2017, 08:00 PM
Leigh Griffiths straight swap I'd take :agree:

Dibben
25-06-2017, 08:01 PM
I'm sure there would still be a monetary value to the deal.

Anyway, as someone said before let's not be like other teams who cheat. We made a deal and should stick to it and give St Mirren their share!!

Big L
25-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Don't know what % St Mirren due but they will most certainly be entitled to that share of whatever value is put on any players involved in the swap. The point is that we did a deal and he was their player. We need to do the right thing!

LaMotta
25-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Don't know what % St Mirren due but they will most certainly be entitled to that share of whatever value is put on any players involved in the swap. The point is that we did a deal and he was their player. We need to do the right thing!

I think liam henderson is worth about 99p.

cabbageandribs1875
25-06-2017, 08:09 PM

we don't know that either

p.s. i agree with the above valuation of 99p for liam henderson...i'l pass on the 33p to st.mirren myself ;)

AZhibee
25-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Presume that contract attorneys would have long since closed such loop holes, or they are incompetent. We've still got McGinn, Super John Mcginn...

Flyingwaitor
25-06-2017, 08:31 PM
I really hope we dont sell or swap him! In great position to play hardball though. Remember when Allan or even when Fletch asked to go? Was done mainly on Hibs terms. Im not saying Mcginn has asked to go or anything. I really hope he stays and gives us a cracking season!

J-C
25-06-2017, 08:44 PM
If its to be believed, St Mirren would be due 33% of any sell on fee? Do you think Hibs could just swap him? No fee just a straight swap? eg Henderson and Mckay-Steven? I dont know if this kind of thing is possible...or if St Mirren get Hendo's right leg as their 33% 😉

Why would we as a club lower ourselves to standards only teams like Rangers go, we entered into an agreement with St Mirren so we didn't have to pay a large fee, lets stick by that contract and pay them whatever percentage we sell him for and keep it Hibs class.

Flyingwaitor
25-06-2017, 08:50 PM
Why would we as a club lower ourselves to standards only teams like Rangers go, we entered into an agreement with St Mirren so we didn't have to pay a large fee, lets stick by that contract and pay them whatever percentage we sell him for and keep it Hibs class.
Im just asking if its possible? Im not saying we should. Id rather we kept him!

Ozyhibby
25-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Celtic don't appear to want him though so it's a moot point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flyingwaitor
25-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Celtic don't appear to want him though so it's a moot point.

Hendo/Mckay-Steven was just an example. I hope they dont want him. We've got Mcginn...

Brightside
25-06-2017, 09:14 PM

Celtic don't want SJM. Ive no idea why people keep going on about it.

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 09:26 PM

I keep asking myself exactly the same question. People try and compare him to Scott Brown and automatically think Celtic will be interested which they aren't, he's not on Brendan Rodgers radar just now and I doubt he will be soon as they are looking for much better than SJM for the champions league.

Jim44
25-06-2017, 09:29 PM

I don't recollect Rodgers ever saying Celtic don't want McGinn. I've never told anyone that I don't want a Porsche but if the opportunity to have one crossed my path, I suspect I would have it.

Flyingwaitor
25-06-2017, 09:37 PM
I used it as an example. Celtic would be daft not to want him! I hope they're daft!

Brightside
25-06-2017, 09:53 PM
I used it as an example. Celtic would be daft not to want him! I hope they're daft!

I think we all need to take the tinted specs off. He's potentially a good just off top level footballer. But would not in anyway improve Celtic. If we can get £2m or more from a Championship team i reckon we'd be ripping hands off. BUT Celtic have no need for him and have never at any point inquired about him.

CallumLaidlaw
25-06-2017, 10:07 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/821212/Celtic-Brendan-Rodgers-John-McGinn-Hibernian-Scott-Allan-Ryan-Christie/amp

truehibernian
25-06-2017, 10:08 PM

They are definitely interested underscore - as I posted yesterday, classic Lawwell will be to wait until they see the transfer landscape and then bid, knowing Hibs would happily take 2 or 3 fringe Celtic players as part of the process.

Fulham are keen on SJM too apparently as they may lose McDonald.

I think a lot of our business will hinge on lots of factors, including pay offs, etc. I also think (sadly) we will lose SJM and that this has been factored into the transfer business thinking along the way.

Still very hopeful we will have a fantastic squad going into the season though - very early days in the window and I think there'll be a few nice surprises :agree:

truehibernian
25-06-2017, 10:10 PM
https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/821212/Celtic-Brendan-Rodgers-John-McGinn-Hibernian-Scott-Allan-Ryan-Christie/amp

........told ya :greengrin

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 10:11 PM

Scott Burns is usually quite good with transfer stories. I'd be raging if we sold McGinn to them and only accepted getting Hendo on loan plus cash. I'd want two players on a permanent basis and at least £1m.

truehibernian
25-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Scott Burns is usually quite good with transfer stories. I'd be raging if we sold McGinn to them and only accepted getting Hendo on loan plus cash. I'd want two players on a permanent basis and at least £1m.

Lots of negotiations to be had bud however my gut feeling is we will have 2 Celtic players permanently and maybe (big maybe) SJM on loan for a season (after they buy him). Deal of the season if we manage to work that though.

angus hibby
25-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Lots of negotiations to be had bud however my gut feeling is we will have 2 Celtic players permanently and maybe (big maybe) SJM on loan for a season (after they buy him). Deal of the season if we manage to work that though.

Is Ciftci still at Celtic? One we may possibly look at?

truehibernian
25-06-2017, 10:29 PM
Is Ciftci still at Celtic? One we may possibly look at?

Good player but I've a feeling NL wants width hence GMS would be an obvious target. Hendo would really galvanise the support given the two-way 'love in' and shift more season tickets - great player too :aok:

I'll go with GMS, Henderson and maybe getting Rodgers to agree SJM having a season back in the top flight with Hibs......downside being we won't have him for games v them. That's my ideal scenario anyway :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
25-06-2017, 11:06 PM
I don't recollect Rodgers ever saying Celtic don't want McGinn. I've never told anyone that I don't want a Porsche but if the opportunity to have one crossed my path, I suspect I would have it.

To put that analogy into context,Celtic can easily afford to go and buy a Porsche so why would they bother with a Ford Focus.

SRHibs
26-06-2017, 12:22 AM

But if you had to pay for the Porsche, and already had a garage full of Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, and better Porsches, would you still want it?

Ryan69
26-06-2017, 04:38 AM

Not sure if Celtic would include Henderson in a loan,as im sure hes only got a year left.
They will be more interested in punting him so they get some kind of return.

Winston Ingram
26-06-2017, 05:43 AM

This is what Swansea did with Michel Vorm's move to Spurs.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-win-court-battle-11398740

LancsHibs
26-06-2017, 06:51 AM

Interesting :hmmm:Celtic want him to future proof their midfield but don't really need him right now, however would not want to lose him to an English club and end up having to go to them in a years time and being priced out!?
I sense a deal involving loaning back SJM, Hendo on a permenant plus a bit of cash

Brightside
26-06-2017, 07:03 AM
They are definitely interested underscore - as I posted yesterday, classic Lawwell will be to wait until they see the transfer landscape and then bid, knowing Hibs would happily take 2 or 3 fringe Celtic players as part of the process.

Fulham are keen on SJM too apparently as they may lose McDonald.

I think a lot of our business will hinge on lots of factors, including pay offs, etc. I also think (sadly) we will lose SJM and that this has been factored into the transfer business thinking along the way.

Still very hopeful we will have a fantastic squad going into the season though - very early days in the window and I think there'll be a few nice surprises :agree:

Fulham and Sheff Wed will both get involved, I also wouldn't be surprised if Forest came in for him too. Celtic wont....no matter what that article says. He is not in Celtics plans. They are looking to get into next level Champs League now not picking up cheaper option scottish players.

IanM
26-06-2017, 07:11 AM
Fulham and Sheff Wed will both get involved, I also wouldn't be surprised if Forest came in for him too. Celtic wont....no matter what that article says. He is not in Celtics plans. They are looking to get into next level Champs League now not picking up cheaper option scottish players.

Jonny Hayes seems to go against your notion

hibsbollah
26-06-2017, 07:11 AM
....no matter what that article says. He is not in Celtics plans. They are looking to get into next level Champs League now not picking up cheaper option scottish players.

You can't say that with any confidence because undermining other Scottish teams by buying their best players has always been in Celtics 'plans', in fact it's their absolute raison d'etre. For every Gary Mackay Stevens there's a Stuart Armstrong who will make the 'cheap Scottish option' worthwhile.

Heisenberg
26-06-2017, 07:16 AM

Spot on. I can perfectly believe that Celtc might be interested in him.

Hibbyradge
26-06-2017, 08:04 AM

Are you a yam, cheating people with whom you have agreements?

Brightside
26-06-2017, 08:14 AM

He's irish?

bingo70
26-06-2017, 08:21 AM
He's irish?

Sorry underscore but there's absolutely no way you know who celtics transfer targets are and I'm also pretty certain the same can be applied to the championship clubs you mentioned earlier.

You're clearly guessing like the rest of us, which is fine, however the logic you are using for Celtic not being interested in him is flawed based on the fact they signed Hayes from Aberdeen, who despite his nationality is of a very similar mould to the one you described as them not wanting any more.

In my opinion of course....

Brightside
26-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Sorry underscore but there's absolutely no way you know who celtics transfer targets are and I'm also pretty certain the same can be applied to the championship clubs you mentioned earlier.

You're clearly guessing like the rest of us, which is fine, however the logic you are using for Celtic not being interested in him is flawed based on the fact they signed Hayes from Aberdeen, who despite his nationality is of a very similar mould to the one you described as them not wanting any more.

In my opinion of course....

He's 29 years old. Has been playing at the top of his game for the last 4/5 years. He provides wing cover were they need it. Celtic have about 20 centre mids.... what would the reason be for them wanting McGinn? It doesnt add up.

Blaster
26-06-2017, 08:31 AM
He's 29 years old. Has been playing at the top of his game for the last 4/5 years. He provides wing cover were they need it. Celtic have about 20 centre mids.... what would the reason be for them wanting McGinn? It doesnt add up.

Potential. They didn't really need Armstrong when they signed him either

Greenworld
26-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Only reason I can give is Brendan Rodgers raves about him

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Keyser Sauzee
26-06-2017, 08:37 AM
Only reason I can give is Brendan Rodgers raves about him

Does he?

Greenworld
26-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Does he?
Yes

Keyser Sauzee
26-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Yes

Care to point me to where he has "raved" about him??

Thecat23
26-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Celtic don't want McGinn. This is from someone with good connections to Celtic. I'm just passing this on as I know nothing at all about SJM staying or leaving but I've no reason to doubt this person.

Hope he does stay as he'd learn a lot imo from playing with us in the top flight.

Greenworld
26-06-2017, 08:53 AM
Does he?
Watch some tv interviews also where he talked in glowing terms of jm

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/633591/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-admits-hibs-star-john-mcginn-is-the-type-of-player-any-manager-would-love-to-have/

bingo70
26-06-2017, 08:54 AM

Brendan Rodgers thinks he's good and can could compete for a first team place is all the logic that's required.

Celtic play a huge number of games and need a big squad.

Keyser Sauzee
26-06-2017, 08:58 AM
Watch some tv interviews also where he talked in glowing terms of jm

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/633591/celtic-boss-brendan-rodgers-admits-hibs-star-john-mcginn-is-the-type-of-player-any-manager-would-love-to-have/

It's 1 article in a paper that is shot down on this forum everytime it's mentioned and for good reason, that's where ur getting this idea that he raves about him. Believe me, he's not wanted by Celtic atm

CockneyRebel
26-06-2017, 09:01 AM
[QUOTE=CallumLaidlaw;5080999]https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/821212/Celtic-Brendan-Rodgers-John-McGinn-Hibernian-Scott-Allan-Ryan-Christie/amp

Nowhere in this "scoop" is there a direct quote from Celtic or Rodgers - don't know whether they want SJM or not but this article is typical lazy journo crap.

oneone73
26-06-2017, 09:16 AM
[QUOTE=CallumLaidlaw;5080999]https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/821212/Celtic-Brendan-Rodgers-John-McGinn-Hibernian-Scott-Allan-Ryan-Christie/amp

Nowhere in this "scoop" is there a direct quote from Celtic or Rodgers - don't know whether they want SJM or not but this article is typical lazy journo crap.

Not clicked on the link, but if it's by Scott Burns it's probably accurate.

My old man
26-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Leigh Griffiths straight swap I'd take :agree:

10/10 all day
GGTTH

MrRobot
26-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Can anybody explain why there is a sell on clause when we didn't actually buy him from St Mirren. IIRC, he left under freedom of contract and we paid as development fee - does this not mean that no such clause would be written in? Or possibly negotiated the development fee to be less by adding in such a clause?

Just seems quite high when we knew the potential of the player.

J-C
26-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Can anybody explain why there is a sell on clause when we didn't actually buy him from St Mirren. IIRC, he left under freedom of contract and we paid as development fee - does this not mean that no such clause would be written in? Or possibly negotiated the development fee to be less by adding in such a clause?

Just seems quite high when we knew the potential of the player.

St Mirren would be due a development fee which we couldn't afford, so we paid a minimum fee and a sell on % to make it up.

MrRobot
27-06-2017, 09:10 AM
St Mirren would be due a development fee which we couldn't afford, so we paid a minimum fee and a sell on % to make it up.

Is this fact though or .net fact? Just seems very high.

Flyingwaitor
27-06-2017, 08:16 PM
I heard today that smeltic do want SJM

J-C
27-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Is this fact though or .net fact? Just seems very high.

We don't know the exact % but it will be at least 25%, St Mirren would have wanted £250-350k for McGinn as a dev fee, we didn't have that kind of money, so a small fee and a higher sell on is quite normal.

Slavers
27-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Henderson, GMS and 2 million and id be happy with that deal.

Flyingwaitor
27-06-2017, 08:51 PM
Henderson, GMS and 2 million and id be happy with that deal.
If it is smeltic then probably nearer 500k plus Hendo or Mackay-Steven. Thats more realistic

007 Mickey Weir
27-06-2017, 09:01 PM
Cifti, GMS, Henderson on perm deals, 10% sell on fee plus £1million. That would do me.

Bring in Commons, Whittaker, Rocky and Stevie May. With the cash

Ah we can dream

Greenworld
28-06-2017, 07:18 AM
Announcement? :hilarious
You press one wrong button

Cifti, GMS, Henderson on perm deals, 10% sell on fee plus £1million. That would do me.

Ah we can dream
Could be possible like the way your thinking

ian cruise
28-06-2017, 07:23 AM

Ah we can dream

On the assumption we've already got budget for Whittaker and Rocky as talks have apparently been ongoing then I'd take Hendo, GMS and Cifti on perm plus sell on and Celtic paying whatever St Mirren were owed, obviously if they wanted to give us 1 million then I'd not grumble. Use Jace money to fund the May transfer.

Like your way of thinking though. Those 4 players and I'd say we're pretty good for the season ahead. I'd take Commons too but only once we've covered other positions.

InchHibby
28-06-2017, 08:10 AM
Brendan Rodgers thinks he's good and can could compete for a first team place is all the logic that's required.

Celtic play a huge number of games and need a big squad.
The only additional games Celtic play are in the champions league and that may just be two or three, other than that, no more than the rest of us.

bingo70
28-06-2017, 08:32 AM
The only additional games Celtic play are in the champions league and that may just be two or three, other than that, no more than the rest of us.

They also normally get further in the cups than the rest of us. Obviously recent seasons for us are a bit unusual but generally speaking they get to the latter stages of both cups every season while we might normally do well in one of them every few years.