PDA

View Full Version : John McGinn (Bid Rejected)

Heisenberg
24-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Apparently we've knocked back a £1m bid from Ipswich.

tamig
24-06-2017, 10:17 PM
If it's in that rag it has zero credence.

LancsHibs
What paper is that?? £1 mil, laughable

stevie-bee
Sunday mail

LancsHibs
24-06-2017, 10:19 PM
Sunday mail

Toilet paper

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 10:19 PM
If a club deem him good enough to play in that league for a club looking at promotion to EPL can we please get a fee that represents this instead of the 1 or 2m pish these clubs think they can get away with.

The league he has played in last 2 seasons is and should be irrelevant to price.

Ronniekirk
24-06-2017, 10:22 PM
One million Get tae **** Fed up with English Clubs trying to get Quality on the Cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
24-06-2017, 10:24 PM
This is just the start.

weecounty hibby
24-06-2017, 10:25 PM
Sundays Daily Ranger. Keith Jackshun et all writing total bull****. SJM on long contract, player of the year for a couple of years in a row, international player, SC & LC winner, 1m is laughable. He will leave at some point and probably to England but it will be for more than 1m.

Heisenberg
24-06-2017, 10:26 PM
This is just the start.

Yep. I'd reckon it's only going to go one way from here unfortunately.

S4uzee
24-06-2017, 10:26 PM
He has to be worth at least £4mil

-Won 2 domestic cups in Scotland without playing for OF
-Scotland international
-Only 22

NadeAteMyLunch!
24-06-2017, 10:28 PM
5 mill or they can GTF.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 10:29 PM
£5m is fair.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 10:31 PM
He has to be worth at least £4mil

-Won 2 domestic cups in Scotland without playing for OF
-Scotland international
-Only 22

Excellent points.

NORTHERNHIBBY
24-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Is Mick McCarthy still in charge at Ipswich Town? Remember hearing him talk about transfer dealings with Rod Petrie when he bought Fletcher. He would know that a bid of a million pounds would be a waste of time and counter-productive.

Keyser Sauzee
24-06-2017, 10:38 PM
We won't get anywhere near £4m for him, people need to be serious here.

My_Wife_Camille
24-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Beginning of the end. Thanks for the memories!

SirDavidsNapper
24-06-2017, 10:44 PM
With st mirrens sell on fee wee won't sell on the cheap unless McGinn says he wants to leave

Captain Trips

Hopefully we do not get near 4.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
Kin Ipswich! You are so much better than that John.

NAE NOOKIE
24-06-2017, 10:47 PM

If you want folk to get serious mate start with Ipswich ........... If its true one million is a joke, John McGinn is worth three million, they know it and sure as hell we know it. In the market they operate in an offer of one million for a player of that quality and potential is an insult ... end of story.

Unseen work
24-06-2017, 10:48 PM
Folk actually think we will get 5? Hahaha

2-2.5 million and he is off imo

18Hibee75
24-06-2017, 10:49 PM
He's a Scottish international and is only 22, and has proved himself in big occasions many a time. He has won the league and Scottish Cup with two underdogs. Been our key man for past two seasons and is an honest player - which is hard to find in this day and age.

Going on a bit of a rant here, but I am absolutely fed up of English/Celtic arrogance. Think they can be intimidating because they get money from TV deals. They tend to think that Scottish football is a load of s**** when they have hardly watched a game.

Time for not just hibs but most Scottish teams in general to stop getting bullied from small teams with big money. Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich but the sheer arrogance of them to offer £1M is frustrating.

The fact that spurs can spend £26M on a player who scored only 7 times in over 50 games for them as a striker, and Villa can spend just under £10M for a player that scored five goals in five years adds to the frustration.

Sadly though its the way it is, Scottish football has been seen as a one horse race for about five year and even before that a two horse race for ages. Something needs to change in Scotland. Sky could look at BT and their coverage of our game for example. Anyway rant over... Don't leave SJM 🙏

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 10:54 PM
"Now striker Garner, 29, has returned to the Championship in a £1m deal."

To Ipswich

NAE NOOKIE
24-06-2017, 10:56 PM
He's a Scottish international and is only 22, and has proved himself in big occasions many a time. He has won the league and Scottish Cup with two underdogs. Been our key man for past two seasons and is an honest player - which is hard to find in this day and age.

Going on a bit of a rant here, but I am absolutely fed up of English/Celtic arrogance. Think they can be intimidating because they get money from TV deals. They tend to think that Scottish football is a load of s**** when they have hardly watched a game.

Time for not just hibs but most Scottish teams in general to stop getting bullied from small teams with big money. Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich but the sheer arrogance of them to offer £1M is frustrating.

The fact that spurs can spend £26M on a player who scored only 7 times in over 50 games for them as a striker, and Villa can spend just under £10M for a player that scored five goals in five years adds to the frustration.

Sadly though its the way it is, Scottish football has been seen as a one horse race for about five year and even before that a two horse race for ages. Something needs to change in Scotland. Sky could look at BT and their coverage of our game for example. Anyway rant over... Don't leave SJM 🙏

Absolutely ......... tell them to GTF !!! ..... Sick of their arrogance !!!

truehibernian
24-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Still think Celtic will wade in next month and let Hibs bat off other clubs meantime - knowing we want a couple of their players. I'll predict (sadly) SJM will be a Celtic player this season.

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2017, 10:59 PM

Sent from my F3211 using TapatalkHibs arent twice the size of Ipswich mate, that is nonsense.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:00 PM

Indeed fees are based on the clubs need for money rather than the ability of the player. Down South ckubs have more money to say no at least and push it.

All these clubs need to do is offer gauls me to say but even offer "only" 6\7k pw and know they are likely doubling/tripling wages of most non OF players, this will turn head and the inevitable unhappy player stuff starts.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:03 PM
The shame us I see plenty of players going for 4m+ and SJM is well as good if not better but its the club circumstances that are dictating fees up here before actual ability.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:05 PM
The key factor here though if its true, its been rejected so thats a positive start. I will accept SJM moving on but at a fair price based on his ability and his ability alone.

frazeHFC
24-06-2017, 11:15 PM
£1m is an insult. He's worth at least 3 times that but we should be holding out for 5.

Mon Dieu4
24-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Mailsport understands, the Sunday version of the Record understands

Mon Dieu understands that the Viz has put in a £3 bid for the Sunday Mail

Lancs Harp
24-06-2017, 11:23 PM

Think about it carefully John. You'll be lucky to get a kick in a Mick McCarthy team and stand a good chance of getting a cricked neck. Can understand a move down South but Ipswich? Money can be the only motivation.

Any fee for SJM will be less then £2 million.

Velma Dinkley
24-06-2017, 11:26 PM
I understand that journalists only say they understand when they don't have a scooby.

Sir David Gray
24-06-2017, 11:28 PM
He's worth more than £1 million I would agree but anyone who thinks we'll reject bids of around £2-2.5 million for him are dreaming.

There's no danger he'll go for anything like £5 million.

The Harp Awakes
24-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Sunday Mail making up stories again no doubt. Like the Daily Ranger, a rancid exuse for a newspaper. Like someone posted previously though this is just the start. Before we know it John's head will be filled with £ signs and he'll want to leave. The Scottish press are truly contemptuous.

lord bunberry
24-06-2017, 11:32 PM
If it's true(and that debatable given the source) then it's the beginning of the end. £1m is a joke, but he'll go when someone puts in a bid that's more realistic. Whatever happens Lennon must get every penny from players leaving to invest in the team. Feeling pretty despondent right now, but it's early days and if we buy well it could work out to be a good thing, just like when Allan left.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Sunday Mail making up stories again no doubt. Like the Daily Ranger, a rancid exuse for a newspaper. Like someone posted previously though this is just the start. Before we know it John's head will be filled with £ signs and he'll want to leave. The Scottish press are truly contemptuous.

Just a shame we don't have the means to pay players 5/6k pw as that would mean not so easy for these middle of the road clubs to just think they can take.

Deansy
24-06-2017, 11:33 PM
Just the Daily Rectum re-starting it's 'Unsettle Hibs' campaign - they haven't bothered with us for the last 2 seasons as we were in a different league from their team.

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:34 PM
If it's true(and that debatable given the source) then it's the beginning of the end. £1m is a joke, but he'll go when someone puts in a bid that's more realistic. Whatever happens Lennon must get every penny from players leaving to invest in the team. Feeling pretty despondent right now, but it's early days and if we buy well it could work out to be a good thing, just like when Allan left.

Maybe invest money in keeping our better players here if SJM leaves. Just a pisser we do not get decent tv money or all would be so very different.

Keyser Sauzee
24-06-2017, 11:35 PM
If you want folk to get serious mate start with Ipswich ........... If its true one million is a joke, John McGinn is worth three million, they know it and sure as hell we know it. In the market they operate in an offer of one million for a player of that quality and potential is an insult ... end of story.

It's only the start of negotiations so obviously they aren't going to come straight in with the offer we want, if any1 thinks they would then again, folk need to be serious. We won't get £4/5m for him, with only 2 years left I think we would accept anything over £2m for him and that's a reasonable price imo.

The Captain....
24-06-2017, 11:37 PM
I'd like to think John would want to do better than Ipswich but I can understand it's difficult to turn down the money they will likely be offering. I think he'll be away before the start of the season.

We need to pull a few rabbits out of hats in the next few weeks if he does end up leaving..that's for sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Velma Dinkley
24-06-2017, 11:37 PM

And if it's not true (given the source)?

Velma Dinkley
24-06-2017, 11:41 PM
It's only the start of negotiations so obviously they aren't going to come straight in with the offer we want, if any1 thinks they would then again, folk need to be serious. We won't get £4/5m for him, with only 2 years left I think we would accept anything over £2m for him and that's a reasonable price imo.

With only 2 years left? If you'd said 1 year it would make sense. He'll be a very important part of our team this season. We'll get whatever money we want or he will stay with us because he has 2 years left on his contract.

Keyser Sauzee
24-06-2017, 11:47 PM
With only 2 years left? If you'd said 1 year it would make sense. He'll be a very important part of our team this season. We'll get whatever money we want or he will stay with us because he has 2 years left on his contract.

Look back to when Allan only had a year left on his deal, how much were we being offered then?? Another year on a contract isn't that long so I can't see us being offered the ridiculous money people are suggesting here. Also folk saying there gutted about him possibly moving on, what were they expecting?? He's been probably our best player and broke into the international team so he's obviously going to have teams interested and with only 2 years left it makes sense for the club to listen to offers now to maximise revenue from SJM. If the clubs circumstances were different then I would hope the club would not sell at all as he is quality and will be really hard to replace but they aren't and Hibs are a selling club so this was always going to happen. Surprised that so many didn't see this coming if I'm honest

lord bunberry
24-06-2017, 11:48 PM
And if it's not true (given the source)?

Everyone's a winner

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:50 PM
Look back to when Allan only had a year left on his deal, how much were we being offered then?? Another year on a contract isn't that long so I can't see us being offered the ridiculous money people are suggesting here. Also folk saying there gutted about him possibly moving on, what were they expecting?? He's been probably our best player and broke into the international team so he's obviously going to have teams interested and with only 2 years left it makes sense for the club to listen to offers now to maximise revenue from SJM. If the clubs circumstances were different then I would hope the club would not sell at all as he is quality and will be really hard to replace but they aren't and Hibs are a selling club so this was always going to happen. Surprised that so many didn't see this coming if I'm honest

Why can't folk be gutted just because its inevitable he will move? Im gutted JC left but knew he would. Its an opinion and I think 2m is ridiculous money and 5m is correct for an International with several winners medals already.

Zazu62
24-06-2017, 11:51 PM

Cummings signed a new deal with us until 2020 last season why didn't we just keep him and not sell?

Keyser Sauzee
24-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Why can't folk be gutted just because its inevitable he will move? Im gutted JC left but knew he would. Its an opinion and I think 2m is ridiculous money and 5m is correct for an International with several winners medals already.

Fair doo's, fwiw, the offer we accept will be way closer to mine than urs

Captain Trips
24-06-2017, 11:53 PM
Fair doo's, fwiw, the offer will be way closer to mine than urs

Im sure it will but it for me is not a fair reflection on the players ability as of now and his very likely improvements.

Velma Dinkley
24-06-2017, 11:56 PM

I think most people expected made up stories regarding transfers. Has that ever not happened? He is quality, probably our best player and already plays international football. We'll get what we want or he will stay with us. Fortunately, Hibs are not desperate for money.

Velma Dinkley
25-06-2017, 12:00 AM
Cummings signed a new deal with us until 2020 last season why didn't we just keep him and not sell?

Maybe our manager wants to bring in someone better. Maybe there was something in his contract. There could be lots of reasons. You just have to think about it.

Winston Ingram
25-06-2017, 12:02 AM

Mail Sport understood that RB Leipzig were going to bid £6m for Barrie McKay.

Captain Trips
25-06-2017, 12:02 AM
I think most people expected made up stories regarding transfers. Has that ever not happened? He is quality, probably our best player and already plays international football. We'll get what we want or he will stay with us. Fortunately, Hibs are not desperate for money.

I would agree but if SJM wants to go we will sell him. If a club want him he will find out what he will be paid and the usual will occur.

Its a pity we cannot improve his contract maybe using the JC money as that may cause disharmony.

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2017, 12:03 AM

I don't think anybody is surprised that we have ( allegedly ) had a bid for McGinn, it doesn't mean to say they haven't got a right to be 'gutted' about it ...... In football two years left on a contract is far from a short period of time .... yes it is daft to think we could get 5 million for him, but IMO 3 million isn't an unreasonable demand for a guy with 2 years left on his contract who has been capped by Scotland and already has a Scottish cup winners medal, a League cup winners medal, a Championship winners medal and a League cup runners up medal ... all without ever having kicked a ball for either of the Ugly Sisters and he's still only 22.

I mean, if we cant demand a fee for a player with that pedigree that wouldn't raise an eyebrow if it was being paid for some guy going from Blackpool to Wolves for example, then we are total mugs ..... Time to prove we're not.

CMurdoch
25-06-2017, 12:03 AM
Ipswich averaged 17,000 supporters last season so not a smaller team than Hibs.
Saying that we should have a similar figure this season.

Think we should hold John until the Christmas window and let him go at that time for £2.5 million.
To keep him until next summer is a big gamble given he will have less than 12 months to go on his contract.

CMurdoch
25-06-2017, 12:08 AM

Think we had a gentleman's agreement with him.
He signed a new improved contract last summer and in return agreed to stay for another season to get us promoted.
In exchange we agreed to let him go this summer if someone offered a million quid.
Not ITK but suspect the above is close to how it went down.

Velma Dinkley
25-06-2017, 12:10 AM
I would agree but if SJM wants to go we will sell him. If a club want him he will find out what he will be paid and the usual will occur.

Its a pity we cannot improve his contract maybe using the JC money as that may cause disharmony.

His head might be turned by hearing how much he could be paid elsewhere. Hibs' head could be turned by a substantial offer. In the meantime, people on football forums talking down his value is unlikely to be helpful to anyone.

Bob Box Fish
25-06-2017, 01:10 AM
Scary thought starting the season without Cummings or Mcginn...

CMurdoch
25-06-2017, 01:17 AM
Scary thought starting the season without Cummings or Mcginn...

Yeah, makes us fans feel the team is vulnerable.
However, for a change I'm confident the Hibs management and executive have things under control.

Springbank
25-06-2017, 01:31 AM
He's worth more than £1 million I would agree but anyone who thinks we'll reject bids of around £2-2.5 million for him are dreaming.

There's no danger he'll go for anything like £5 million.

Sorry that's bxllocks

Hibs turned down 2 to 2.5 for Scott Brown from rangers. Got 4.4m.

Expect similar here

neil7908
25-06-2017, 03:45 AM
Anyone ITK who can confirm if there's any truth here or just paper talk?

neil7908
25-06-2017, 03:56 AM
In terms of his value I'd be delighted to see us really play hardball. From everything I've seen and read John is happy here and pretty sensible so we should only be selling if it's a bid we just can't refuse.

£5m is unrealistic but I'd be hoping for £2.5-3m plus potentially players, sell on fees, extras based on appearances, Scotland caps etc.

One thing I would say is not sure clubs down south exactly value a player more highly because they are in the Scotland squad. I suspect many clubs see the extra games and potential for injury as a negative but I could be wrong.

pacorosssco
25-06-2017, 04:07 AM
Sorry that's bxllocks

Hibs turned down 2 to 2.5 for Scott Brown from rangers. Got 4.4m.

Expect similar here

I dont think well get 4.4 million for a player ever again.

Greenworld
25-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Folk actually think we will get 5? Hahaha

2-2.5 million and he is off imo
Said that last night if we get that sorted of figure we have done brilliantly.
I feel confident replacements will not be on the cheap anymore.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Onion
25-06-2017, 05:33 AM
If any truth in this, then £1M is testing the water and insulting at the same time. JMG is so much better than Ipswich probably hoping to pick him up on the cheap knowing full well he's potential to be worth serious money in a couple of years time. Is he better than Scott Brown at this stage of his career ? Probably not, but still worth £3-4M IMO.

Can expect many more stories like this now that the fixture list is out and we're due to play Sevco soon. The world revolves but the MSM stuck in the 70s.

Ryan69
25-06-2017, 05:57 AM
Ipswich averaged 17,000 supporters last season so not a smaller team than Hibs.
Saying that we should have a similar figure this season.

Think we should hold John until the Christmas window and let him go at that time for £2.5 million.
To keep him until next summer is a big gamble given he will have less than 12 months to go on his contract.

Sorry but Ipswich are a far historically smaller club than Hibs!

Are you sure your even hibs fan mate?

Forza Fred
25-06-2017, 06:04 AM
This alleged 'offer' appears to have come out of the blue.

Not saying it's the case here, but it has been known for agents to ask pet jounos to make up a story about an 'interest' from one club to spur action from other clubs.

Everything had been quiet on the McGinn front until now.....

hibsbollah
25-06-2017, 06:24 AM
This alleged 'offer' appears to have come out of the blue.

Not saying it's the case here, but it has been known for agents to ask pet jounos to make up a story about an 'interest' from one club to spur action from other clubs.

Everything had been quiet on the McGinn front until now.....

:agree: the Sunday mail understands... Cmon now. Let's not soil any sheets until there's something more concrete than that..

And for anyone doubting the transfer markets ability to throw up some surprises... How many of you expected Oliver Burke to go to Red Bull for 13million? How many of you had even heard of Oliver Burke? So don't talk down our assets when you don't have a clue what Hibs will get for McGinn when he does leave.
2 years left on contract, young player, he's worth whatever richer clubs than us are prepared to pay.

Brooster
25-06-2017, 06:29 AM
It was always highly probable that Cummings and McGinn would move on in the summer. I was hoping they would stay but if not I was hoping we would get 4.5-5m for the pair. Its now down to Hibs to maximise the income then find suitable replacements. This will test our recruitment system.

Ardenttwo
25-06-2017, 06:46 AM
Toilet paper

Not even good enough for that.

Pete
25-06-2017, 06:54 AM
£1 million?

This should be met with the fiercest rebuttal we've ever seen at Hibs.

Triple it, then we can maybe start talking about raising it to a reasonable level.

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 07:08 AM
I like how folk will trash a transfer story because it's in the Sunday Mail but as soon as a random poster on here says Henderson is coming back on a three year deal it's party time :greengrin

lucky
25-06-2017, 07:14 AM
It's only a matter of time before a bid is accepted. Once the English clubs come knocking on the door players and their agents get excited. Only thing about this story I'm sceptical about is it's Ipswich doing the bidding. They had a lot financial problems in recent years and have struggled in the championship. But I do think John will be away before the season starts

Since90+2
25-06-2017, 07:39 AM
2 million and he is off IMO.

danhibees1875
25-06-2017, 07:46 AM
I like how folk will trash a transfer story because it's in the Sunday Mail but as soon as a random poster on here says Henderson is coming back on a three year deal it's party time :greengrin

3 years? Henderson?

:hyper:

hibsbollah
25-06-2017, 07:47 AM
On the basis that our squad is a bit thin, I wouldn't be surprised if a player exchange deal had already been discussed. Maybe with Celtic.

Fuzzywuzzy
25-06-2017, 07:50 AM
So three stories to try and unsettle opposition in the one day

1. Sjm
2. Bid for McLean from Aberdeen
3. Dave kings Celtic have only won two leagues
4. A number of positive spin stories for sevco.

Level 5 and smsm at their best.

H18 SFR
25-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Offer McGinn an improved contract with an agreement like JC's and sell next summer.

bingo70
25-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Offer McGinn an improved contract with an agreement like JC's and sell next summer.

Maybe they've already had that conversation?

If I was McGinn and knew there was interest now I'd want to take it now, you never know what's round the corner, he could get injured or have a poor season. He's achieved all he's likely to at hibs and even if he has a brilliant season next year he's still probably likely to get a move to a championship club down south.

This is the summer we're likely to get maximum value for him so assuming he's being replaced accordingly I personally think it makes sense for all parties to sell him now unfortunately.

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Mail story to unsettle player and open up for Celtic. Side effect is to upset Hibs fans and our club's pre-season preparations. Seems to be working a treat.

Keith_M
25-06-2017, 08:08 AM
Unless he has a release clause in his contract for a given amount, the ball is in Hibs court.

Hibs should tell any enquiring clubs it'll cost them 10 million. I don't care how ridiculous the number sounds or what the actual market value would/should be, let clubs know there's no buying Hibs players on the cheap.

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Unless he has a release clause in his contract for a given amount, the ball is in Hibs court.

Hibs should tell any enquiring clubs it'll cost them 10 million. I don't care how ridiculous the number sounds or what the actual market value would/should be, let clubs know there's no buying Hibs players on the cheap.

Yes that worked a treat with Cummings although think a deal if stayed foe a year got us up then he could go.

bingo70
25-06-2017, 08:14 AM
Mail story to unsettle player and open up for Celtic. Side effect is to upset Hibs fans and our club's pre-season preparations. Seems to be working a treat.

Ha ha it's a conspiracy, it's all a conspiracy.

if anyone over the age of 7 (or Sean) is genuinely upset about a player being linked with another club then I'd suggest they go for a lie down in a dark room for a few months. Secondly if any hibs fans being upset at this news has any sort of impact on our preparations for the new seasons then we've got deeper routed problems than this story. Thirdly there's no conspiracy, there just isnae, we've finished in the top three about three or four times in the last 30 years, unfortunately we don't pose a threat to anyone that could be behind a conspiracy.

Keith_M
25-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Yes that worked a treat with Cummings although think a deal if stayed foe a year got us up then he could go.

When did Hibs announce a high price for Cummings?

Brooster
25-06-2017, 08:19 AM

Wow. Calm down to a panic.

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 08:20 AM

if anyone over the age of 7 (or Sean) is genuinely upset about a player being linked with another club then I'd suggest they go for a lie down in a dark room for a few months. Secondly if any hibs fans being upset at this news has any sort of impact on our preparations for the new seasons then we've got deeper routed problems than this story. Thirdly there's no conspiracy, there just isnae, we've finished in the top three about three or four times in the last 30 years, unfortunately we don't pose a threat to anyone that could be behind a conspiracy.

Was thinking the same tbh. Wonder what folk thought when we were linked with a move for St Johnstone's Danny Swanson? Or Dundee United's Simon Murray on the eve of their playoff second leg? Transfer stories happen and routinely make it to the press. It's part of the game.

Should add only in some occasions is it different. Scott Allan/Jamie Walker being prime examples. Stories about the likes of Ipswich coming in for our players aren't part of a conspiracy.

Lago
25-06-2017, 08:25 AM

Historically is the operative word, unfortunately the dynamic has changed forever with advent of TV money into English football at all levels, Scottish clubs will never again compete on what is now an very non level playing field.

WhileTheChief..
25-06-2017, 08:37 AM
So because it's the Sunday Mail the story is crap yeah? Cool.

He will be away in this window whether it's Ipswich, Watford or whoever.

WhileTheChief..
25-06-2017, 08:39 AM
So three stories to try and unsettle opposition in the one day

1. Sjm
2. Bid for McLean from Aberdeen
3. Dave kings Celtic have only won two leagues
4. A number of positive spin stories for sevco.

Level 5 and smsm at their best.

Meanwhile back in the real world....

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2017, 08:41 AM
Was thinking the same tbh. Wonder what folk thought when we were linked with a move for St Johnstone's Danny Swanson? Or Dundee United's Simon Murray on the eve of their playoff second leg? Transfer stories happen and routinely make it to the press. It's part of the game.

Should add only in some occasions is it different. Scott Allan/Jamie Walker being prime examples. Stories about the likes of Ipswich coming in for our players aren't part of a conspiracy.

So nobody upset by the likely departure of our two cutting edge stars? Do you think we can honestly find replacements of equal ability? Season ticket sales will drop and no wonder. Only Efe remains who can truly set ER alight.

500miles
25-06-2017, 08:41 AM
If Celtic are interested, £1.5m and Henderson permanent is what I'd look for.

MyJo
25-06-2017, 08:45 AM
The comparison to Scott brown is a very valid one, SJM is the same type of player at the same age as brown was when he moved to Celtic, same number of years on the contract, just breaking into the Scotland squad.The main difference being SJM has achieved more than brown had in his career with two cup wins and a championship win compared to browns single league cup win with Hibs.

If brown went for £4.4m then McGinn justifies an equal if not better fee to prise him away from us. We are also in the strongest position financially we have been in decades and have no need or desire to sell him so let's not be selling ourselves or SJM short with thinking like we will be lucky to get £2m for him

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 08:47 AM
So nobody upset by the likely departure of our two cutting edge stars? Do you think we can honestly find replacements of equal ability? Season ticket sales will drop and no wonder. Only Efe remains who can truly set ER alight.

Well yes, obviously. I didn't say anywhere that I was happy for him to leave. But let's not pretend the story isn't true.

There is PLENTY time left to sign players. Season ticket sales have already slowed down as we are reaching near to what our final figure will be IMO. We've already broken the 11.5k barrier which is a record in recent times. Let's not pretend our sales will suffer because of signings/player sales. We will end up at about 12/12.5k which is tremendous.

Only Efe you say? You forgetting about Danny Swanson? We've kept together our very solid defence (Marciano signing soon). Rumoured to be getting Whittaker in. There's still 3 weeks left till our first league cup game. Let's calm down and see what happens.

Ryan69
25-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Historically is the operative word, unfortunately the dynamic has changed forever with advent of TV money into English football at all levels, Scottish clubs will never again compete on what is now an very non level playing field.

Hibs are still a far bigger club than Ipswich,plus he can achieve more as a, footballer at Hibs than someone like Ipswich.

For example
Wont play in top flight.
Wont win cups.
Would never play in Europe.

oneone73
25-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Hibs are still a far bigger club than Ipswich,plus he can achieve more as a, footballer at Hibs than someone like Ipswich.

For example
Wont play in top flight.
Wont win cups.
Only the first of those three is true. Who's to say Ipswich couldn't win a cup (League Cup for example) and get into Europe that way?

SirDavidsNapper
25-06-2017, 08:54 AM

For example
Wont play in top flight.
Wont win cups.

Look at the tiny clubs that have made it to EPL. Bournemouth, Brighton and Hove Albion, Blackpool etc. No reason Ipswich couldn't. Hibs are a much larger club in Scotland than Ipswich are in England but fanbase probably about the same and they can offer 10x the player salary and fees.

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 09:00 AM
Look at the tiny clubs that have made it to EPL. Bournemouth, Brighton and Hove Albion, Blackpool etc. No reason Ipswich couldn't. Hibs are a much larger club in Scotland than Ipswich are in England but fanbase probably about the same and they can offer 10x the player salary and fees.

And even if Ipswich don't then it's a far more likely playing scenario to get a move to an EPL club.

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Well said.

Aldo
25-06-2017, 09:09 AM

I will give you Bournemouth and Blackpool but Brighton have a very large support and are a club which sold out pretty much every week!!

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 09:09 AM

He's made a perfectly reasonable point - they have larger attendances.
You have a different position that historically we're a bigger club.

Bit in bold is either missing a smiley or it's out of order.
Far too much of this "fake news" approach on here of questioning people's allegiance to the club if you disagree with them or they say something you don't like.

heidtheba
25-06-2017, 09:10 AM

I think this might be key actually. We don't know exactly what happens in contract negotiations with our players but I'd imagine it makes us more attractive to a younger player if we say we will develop them and then not play too hardball when an offer from an English/bigger club comes along. Player gets an easier move, is motivated to use us as a platform to do well knowing that it will directly (and easily) benefit him - technically everyone wins and it might see more/better players move to us if we do that. I'd imagine (although have nothing to prove this) that perhaps this was a key part in Jason's extended contract last year.
Yes we lose out on bigger sell-on deals but maybe we're more likely to get the player coming to us in the first place?

HibernianJK
25-06-2017, 09:14 AM
The comparison to Scott brown is a very valid one, SJM is the same type of player at the same age as brown was when he moved to Celtic, same number of years on the contract, just breaking into the Scotland squad.The main difference being SJM has achieved more than brown had in his career with two cup wins and a championship win compared to browns single league cup win with Hibs.

If brown went for £4.4m then McGinn justifies an equal if not better fee to prise him away from us. We are also in the strongest position financially we have been in decades and have no need or desire to sell him so let's not be selling ourselves or SJM short with thinking like we will be lucky to get £2m for him

The problem is Mcginn, IMO, isn't really close to being as good as Brown was for Hibs.

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 09:30 AM

Scott Brown was a far better player than SJM hence why we won't get the silly money people are quoting.

lyonhibs
25-06-2017, 09:30 AM

I agree in the main, but could you clarify how Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich?

makaveli1875
25-06-2017, 09:36 AM
Scott Brown was a far better player than SJM hence why we won't get the silly money people are quoting.

i wouldnt say broony was far better than SJM , he was better no doubt but not a huge gulf between them . SJM surely worth at least 2mil or 2.5

Gregor
25-06-2017, 09:44 AM
The problem is Mcginn, IMO, isn't really close to being as good as Brown was for Hibs.

That aside, Brown (and KT) was little more than a vanity project for Rangers and Celtic ... that Rangers were never going to win.

Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal. Both KT and Brown were guests at parkhead during CL games in the build-up. The story spun at the time was Rangers wanted Brown and Celtic wanted KT.

The truth was Celtic courted and wanted both players but in the end decided against KT, who (I think due to past injuries ... knee maybe?) was rejected. Even he didn't know about the Rangers bid until his agent (who realised that he'd struggle to sell KT after celtic rejected him) spoke to Murray and said "Celtic are about to sign KT" (... after they decided not to risk it). He thought he was getting hauled into Petrie because he was going to Celtic.

When KT burned his bridges and moved west, Rangers assumed that they would get Brown (his mate) as well. Celtic (actually Lawell) threw an absolute ton of cash at Brown in a deal worth 12M (transfer fees + salary for contract term) and Strachan met him and said "You'll be captain of this club".

So, all in all, Lawell got his vanity player, made a tit of his rival and their chums, and Hibs somehow ended up with the funds to build and maintain a training centre.

Was Brown worth £4M? Would any other club have bought KT at the time? Debatable. Will any player ever be sold between Scottish clubs for that amount ever again? Not unless there are at least 2 clubs run by owners with ego to match their (well, at least one of their) wallets.

It was pretty fascinating at the time. No doubt about it, Rod played a blinder of a long game when it became obvious his hand was being forced.

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 09:48 AM
i wouldnt say broony was far better than SJM , he was better no doubt but not a huge gulf between them . SJM surely worth at least 2mil or 2.5

I think ur valuation is fair and I believe we will get that for him. Until he performs as well as Brown did against Rangers and Celtic away when he was a different class of player we had at the time then SJM isn't close. He has the potential and I think he is a very good player but not at the same level as SB.

wookie70
25-06-2017, 09:55 AM
SJM would be a loss but I think he would be easier to replace than Jason is going to be. Scott Brown was head and shoulders above McGinn when he left Hibs imo and there was far more money in Scottish football at that point. SJM has been a very good players for us and he would certainly be missed but if we can get around the £2M mark I think we can reinvest that to freshen up the forward thinking areas of the team. I'll miss him if he is gone and I will really miss singing the SJM song. Coming out of Tiny singing it is one of my favourite memories of the last few years

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2017, 10:02 AM
I agree in the main, but could you clarify how Hibs are twice the size of Ipswich?

Indeed, unfortunately its a claim that cant be justified. They have a European trophy in the cupboard, and apart from bigger crowds than us in general, an average of 17,000 for a club not doing so well isn't too shabby, they also probably have a bigger fanbase given that they are the only big club in the whole of Suffolk, a county with a population of roughly 800,000 people.

I don't think there is any need to ever start comparing us with other clubs in this way in any case ....... The truth is that Hibs are Scotland's 4th / 5th biggest club and its not doing us down us to say that an FA cup win by Ipswich is a tougher ask for them than a Scottish cup win should be for Hibs ..... to win a trophy Hibs in theory only have to avoid a handful of teams that on paper should be capable of beating us, Ipswich and any other English club of their size have to avoid about 40 of them.

Of course, none of that means Hibs aren't the best club in the world :aok:

SirDavidsNapper
25-06-2017, 10:08 AM
I will give you Bournemouth and Blackpool but Brighton have a very large support and are a club which sold out pretty much every week!!

Yeah Brighton maybe bad example

Smartie
25-06-2017, 10:17 AM
There's only one issue here really - does SJM want to move yet?

If he does, then there will only be one outcome, hopefully after we've organised an auction where he goes to the highest bidder.

If he wants to stay for one more year (as has been widely reported) then it doesn't matter what is offered.

I honestly could see it being in everyone's interests that he stays for another year - he gets more top league experience and an opportunity to establish himself further in the International team (Scott Brown and Darren Fletcher aren't going to be playing much in future) thus increasing his value and improving the teams he might move to.

Manxhibs
25-06-2017, 10:18 AM
I do hope that when Mcginn leaves hibs it is to England and not Celtic but come on £1mil, that's an insult! Let the bidding war commence!

StevieCowan
25-06-2017, 10:23 AM
That aside, Brown (and KT) was little more than a vanity project for Rangers and Celtic ... that Rangers were never going to win.

Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal. Both KT and Brown were guests at parkhead during CL games in the build-up. The story spun at the time was Rangers wanted Brown and Celtic wanted KT.

The truth was Celtic courted and wanted both players but in the end decided against KT, who (I think due to past injuries ... knee maybe?) was rejected. Even he didn't know about the Rangers bid until his agent (who realised that he'd struggle to sell KT after celtic rejected him) spoke to Murray and said "Celtic are about to sign KT" (... after they decided not to risk it). He thought he was getting hauled into Petrie because he was going to Celtic.

When KT burned his bridges and moved west, Rangers assumed that they would get Brown (his mate) as well. Celtic (actually Lawell) threw an absolute ton of cash at Brown in a deal worth 12M (transfer fees + salary for contract term) and Strachan met him and said "You'll be captain of this club".

So, all in all, Lawell got his vanity player, made a tit of his rival and their chums, and Hibs somehow ended up with the funds to build and maintain a training centre.

Was Brown worth £4M? Would any other club have bought KT at the time? Debatable. Will any player ever be sold between Scottish clubs for that amount ever again? Not unless there are at least 2 clubs run by owners with ego to match their (well, at least one of their) wallets.

It was pretty fascinating at the time. No doubt about it, Rod played a blinder of a long game when it became obvious his hand was being forced.

"Was Brown worth £4m?" He's been an ever present tin their team for the last 10 years and club captain for half that time. Absolutely 100% it's been a great piece of business for Celtic.

HUTCHYHIBBY
25-06-2017, 10:30 AM

Its ridiculous but, nae mair ridiculous than offering £1m I suppose.

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 10:36 AM
Its ridiculous but, nae mair ridiculous than offering £1m I suppose.

That's not Ipswich final offer tho is it, they will know it's not going to be accepted and are just gauging response. Surely people can see that?? If the interest is all true ofcourse.

Gregor
25-06-2017, 10:41 AM
"Was Brown worth £4m?" He's been an ever present tin their team for the last 10 years and club captain for half that time. Absolutely 100% it's been a great piece of business for Celtic.

Absolutely. That's why I said debatable. Worth the £12M outlay (and subsequently then some) for Celtic. Easy to take that gamble when you're as minted as they were at the time. I don't think any other club would have paid anything close to £4M for him.

CraigHibee
25-06-2017, 10:42 AM
They can bolt with the 1 million offer for starters

NAE NOOKIE
25-06-2017, 10:44 AM
That's not Ipswich final offer tho is it, they will know it's not going to be accepted and are just gauging response. Surely people can see that?? If the interest is all true ofcourse.

Aye mate ...... but a first bid is supposed to prick a club's interest, not make them fall about laughing :greengrin

blackpoolhibs
25-06-2017, 10:46 AM

Its still a ridiculous offer though matey, even if it is just an opening bid?

Diclonius
25-06-2017, 10:51 AM
If McGinn doesn't want to leave we can sit tight and wait for either silly money (i.e. 4-5M) or further derisory offers, after which we have him for another season.

If he wants to go then get the 2M in NOW and get replacements in NOW. If we haven't got adequate players in at least a few weeks prior to the start of the season (ala the annual pre relegation ****ing about) then we can kiss goodbye to top 6.

we are hibs
25-06-2017, 10:54 AM
maybe we could say to McGinn what we said to Cummings this time last year and get him on a long term contract and sell him next year once we've had a year to consolidate.

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 10:59 AM
I do hope that when Mcginn leaves hibs it is to England and not Celtic but come on £1mil, that's an insult! Let the bidding war commence!

Much as I hate seeing players go to either of the ugly sisters I'd still have that down as second top priority after Hibs getting the best deal.

If Celtic offer significantly more cash (unlikely) then I'd go with them.

Of more interest is they're more likely to be able to offer viable player exchanges. Players like Henderson, GMS or other names of your choice there would be good signings (imo) and would likely come to play for Hibs in the SPL where I'm not sure squad players in the English Championship would be happy taking the step down or motivated if they did.

Not sure on the structure of the sell on clause either but player exchanges may also allow us to realise more of SJM's value relative to the fee to St Mirren?

Super_JMcGinn
25-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Apparently we've knocked back a £1m bid from Ipswich.

I hope when he does go it is down south and not to that mob thru in the west.

JimBHibees
25-06-2017, 11:30 AM
I hope when he does go it is down south and not to that mob thru in the west.

I hope he goes to the team that offer the best deal be that most money or possibly also a decent player coming in the other direction whoever that may be.

Manxhibs
25-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Much as I hate seeing players go to either of the ugly sisters I'd still have that down as second top priority after Hibs getting the best deal.

Of more interest is they're more likely to be able to offer viable player exchanges. Players like Henderson, GMS or other names of your choice there would be good signings (imo) and would likely come to play for Hibs in the SPL where I'm not sure squad players in the English Championship would be happy taking the step down or motivated if they did.

Not sure on the structure of the sell on clause either but player exchanges may also allow us to realise more of SJM's value relative to the fee to St Mirren?

Totally agree that the deal should be in the best interests of hibs. However, I personally enjoy being able to watch ex players succeed at other clubs and if he was to sign for Celtic, I certainly couldn't do that.

Mcginn is only worth what people will pay, however surely given the transfer fees being paid in England, he is worth much more than this first bid!

Sensible option would be to stay 1 more year and lay on and score a bucket load of goals for the cabbage.

Smartie
25-06-2017, 11:35 AM
I normally wouldn't want to see any of our players go West, but the arrival of Hendo and a big pile of cash would soon get me over that.

I'd be more disappointed if it was to some no-mark club like Burton for a disappointing fee.

Lago
25-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Suprised anyone's suprised by this news. It was on the cards from the moment Jason & John made their thoughts known, re transfers,in the news paper interview a few weekx ago, which was followed by Lennon telling them, rightly, that only he & the club would decide if & when they went. Well one has gone & I fully expect the other to follow. Hopefully Hibs have replacement targets in place.

Keith_M
25-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Regarding the relative size argument (it's a guy thing)...

Stadium Capacity
16/17 Avg Att
European Trophies

Ipswich

Hibs
15k*

* Highest in over 40 years, previous season just over 9k.

Captain Trips
25-06-2017, 12:21 PM
SJM worth every bit if 4m±

JimBHibees
25-06-2017, 12:22 PM

Stadium Capacity
16/17 Avg Att
European Trophies

Ipswich

Hibs
15k*

Aye but did they win the Scottish cup in the last couple of years. :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
25-06-2017, 12:34 PM

A swap deal might not be a good deal for Hibs, cash-wise.

If, say, we get 2 players in exchange for SJM...we will have to pay St Mirren cash for their share. If SJM is valued even at £1m.....that will.be a fair chunk to pay out.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Sir David Gray
25-06-2017, 12:58 PM
If we lose Cummings and McGinn in the same window, the board will have some amount of work to do over the next few weeks to replace them with quality players or we'll struggle to shift many more season tickets and the feelgood factor that's surrounded the club in recent months will be gone.

This is a huge period for the club.

25-06-2017, 01:08 PM
£1m?! I hope Leeann laughed right in their faces before quite rightly binning that offer.

£5m that i've seen some folk saying we should go for however is laughable. Lets get real here. £2m is around the price we should be asking for.

25-06-2017, 01:11 PM
If we lose Cummings and McGinn in the same window, the board will have some amount of work to do over the next few weeks to replace them with quality players or we'll struggle to shift many more season tickets and the feelgood factor that's surrounded the club in recent months will be gone.

Totally agree. Only sell McGinn if we already have a big, exciting signing ready to come in to replace him that will keep the feel good factor with the fans going.

JJP
25-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Some ridiculous posts on here. He's going to want to leave. We can't compete financially and the club is not to blame when players such as McGinn and Cummings go. Players wouldn't want to play here in the first place if they were never allowed to move on when bigger money is on offer elsewhere. Our club is baisically a shop window now and that is football. More business than sport and all about money. Hope the club can bring in some good replacements but all the talk of losing the feel good factor grinds my gears when this will be our first season in years in the top flight and it is absolutely inevitable that talent will move on.

bingo70
25-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Some ridiculous posts on here. He's going to want to leave. We can't compete financially and the club is not to blame when players such as McGinn and Cummings go. Players wouldn't want to play here in the first place if they were never allowed to move on when bigger money is on offer elsewhere. Our club is baisically a shop window now and that is football. More business than sport and all about money. Hope the club can bring in some good replacements but all the talk of losing the feel good factor grinds my gears when this will be our first season in years in the top flight and it is absolutely inevitable that talent will move on.

Spot on.

lucky
25-06-2017, 01:38 PM

Correct we are a stepping stone for players and Ipswich are a step up but if SJM does well there he'll move on again to a EPL club and untold riches. If Hibs get £2m plus a sell on clause we will do well.

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 01:49 PM

100% this if we now lose Mcginn they need some big signings in to make us competitive in the top half of the table next season or this current feelgood factor with begin to slowly fade

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 01:50 PM
Have to say I hope our board have and show a bit more ambition than some posters on here who are just happy that we are back in the Prem - get a grip its where we belong...no reason why we can't and shouldn't be holding onto Mcginn for just 1 more season

bingo70
25-06-2017, 01:52 PM
Have to say I hope our board have and show a bit more ambition than some posters on here who are just happy that we are back in the Prem - get a grip its where we belong...no reason why we can't and shouldn't be holding onto Mcginn for just 1 more season

There's plenty reasons, you're just choosing to ignore them.

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 01:54 PM
There's plenty reasons, you're just choosing to ignore them.
Not at all I understand if we get offered ridiculous money we have to sell...1 million bids and such like are NOT acceptable imo

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 01:55 PM
Not at all I understand if we get offered ridiculous money we have to sell...1 million bids and such like are NOT acceptable imo

No1 on here is suggesting we sell for £1m tho

RossScott1991
25-06-2017, 01:59 PM
1 million wouldn't even buy his left foot. We should be aiming to keep hold of him for 1 more season and then we should be selling him for 3/4 million as this is what he will be worth i reckon in this time. Good season this upcoming one and more call ups on international stage should see his value rocket.

In regards to Mcginn, if we received a bid in region of 3/4 million in this window then its money we can't turn down. However it would leave me very worried for upcoming season and we would really need to sign guys who will hit ground running.

What started off as a positive summer with players signing new deals is slowly becoming worrying, just hope we have a few aces up our sleeves. Come on Hibs, ease some peoples worries and get some players signed next week.

Cabbage East
25-06-2017, 02:02 PM
One million :faf:

SRHibs
25-06-2017, 02:05 PM
1 million wouldn't even buy his left foot. We should be aiming to keep hold of him for 1 more season and then we should be selling him for 3/4 million as this is what he will be worth i reckon in this time. Good season this upcoming one and more call ups on international stage should see his value rocket.

In regards to Mcginn, if we received a bid in region of 3/4 million in this window then its money we can't turn down. However it would leave me very worried for upcoming season and we would really need to sign guys who will hit ground running.

What started off as a positive summer with players signing new deals is slowly becoming worrying, just hope we have a few aces up our sleeves. Come on Hibs, ease some peoples worries and get some players signed next week.

If he doesn't sign a contract extension, he's at peak value right now. At the moment we have the power in the negotiations, but in a year's time, when he's about to be in the last year of his contract, that power is severely diminished. If we get any offer in the region of £2M then I've got no doubt we'll accept it.

Captain Trips
25-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Dont agree, we do not sign players long enough nowadays for anyone joining to worry about not leaving. I think most new signings are in 2 year deals and tbh the market we are in every £ will be a prisoner to a fair few folk whom we sign. If we are competitive with wages we will have no issues signing folk regardless of how we deal with SJM.

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 02:06 PM

This is exactly where I am mate both with the SJM situation and summer recruitment thus far. We are severely weakened from the Championship side that finished last season and 2 of the 4 in so far (if rocky rumours are true) are a continuation of the team that finished the season rocky and efe. Murray is a decent addition but no replacement for JC imo, prob more a replacement for Keats. Swanson will improve midfield but much work needing done, we are woefully short in wide areas and up front and still haven't addressed the lack of pace that cost us at times last season. We keep hearing the signings are coming...let's hope it's soon as we need to hit the ground running at start of season. The 30th June excuse will run out this Friday so hopefully this will see some serious movement of players IN as opposed to OUT.

adhibs
25-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Theve probably seen what we accepted for cummings and thought 1m would be acceptable. Abosuletly derisory offer.

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 02:10 PM
Theve probably seen what we accepted for cummings and thought 1m would be acceptable. Abosuletly derisory offer.

What did we accept for Cummings?

Joe6-2
25-06-2017, 02:18 PM
Beginning of the end. Thanks for the memories!

Probably, unless that rag is talking shiet!
We need to keep him if we are to mount any credible challenge this season

RossScott1991
25-06-2017, 02:19 PM
As it stands we are a weaker team than last season. How many did we draw last season in championship? worrying if we don't replace Cummings with quality and if we did lose Mcginn. The main positive is our solid defence we have, however some of the draws last season would definitely end in defeat in premiership against better teams.

We are still 2 Strikers short
Winger short
Centre midfielders short, think we only have Bartley, Mcgeough, Mcginn and Martin? with Mcgeough injured 90% of the time.

IMO.

If we lost Mcginn on top of that then its worrying. I don't know how much i trust Lennon in the forward areas to sort us out, wasn't really inspired with some of signings last year.

Feel there has to be at least a couple signings next week to pick the atmosphere

Springbank
25-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Everton bid 4.4m as well, so, yes he was.

Is mcginn ahead of where Brown was when we sold him?

Yes.

GreenArmyyy!
25-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Yes.

McGinn is nowhere near the level Brown was back then. Not even close.

Keyser Sauzee
25-06-2017, 02:26 PM

Yes.

Are u serious??? McGinn is not ahead of where Brown was, ridiculous statement.

Vini1875
25-06-2017, 02:27 PM
I think we are going to be really tested with offers for McGinn. It would be tremedous business to get him to sign an extension and have him for one more season then an opt out clause of say £2M and sell on percentage. Sadly if offers are coming in I can see him go and in that case its all about the best deal we can get.

NL then has some money and a lot of work to do to replace Cummings and McGinn. Going forward we probably see another decent pay day when they both step up to higher levels in England.

Elephant Stone
25-06-2017, 02:36 PM
If anyone was wondering which close season thread has had the most amount of **** spoken on it so far I think they will have found a winner. :faf:

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 02:38 PM
A swap deal might not be a good deal for Hibs, cash-wise.

If, say, we get 2 players in exchange for SJM...we will have to pay St Mirren cash for their share. If SJM is valued even at £1m.....that will.be a fair chunk to pay out.

Cheers for the info :)

Out of curiousity am I right in taking from that there would be some kind of independent valuation of the deal and that valuation would be based on what SJM was worth rather than a valuation of what the incoming players were worth?

Hamish
25-06-2017, 02:57 PM
If anyone was wondering which close season thread has had the most amount of **** spoken on it so far I think they will have found a winner. :faf:

It's doing well then as there is a lot of competition....

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 03:00 PM
So you aren't in the slightest wee bit concerned at the lack of incomings so far?? That's fine and fair play to you for your unwavering confidence but don't knock others who are entitled to feel differently. It's a forum and fans are allowed to air their views...if u don't agree that's fine. It would be a bloody boring forum if we all agreed with eachother 24/7 though.

Let's hope a couple of signings are announced soon and we can all talk about them instead of this never ending speculation

MWHIBBIES
25-06-2017, 03:01 PM

Yes.
No, Brown was much better

bringbackbenny
25-06-2017, 03:04 PM
So you aren't in the slightest wee bit concerned at the lack of incomings so far?? That's fine and fair play to you for your unwavering confidence but don't knock others who are entitled to feel differently. It's a forum and fans are allowed to air their views...if u don't agree that's fine. It would be a bloody boring forum if we all agreed with eachother 24/7 though.

Let's hope a couple of signings are announced soon and we can all talk about them instead of this never ending speculation

We've already signed Ambrose, Swanson and Murray. And likely more to come, the futures good :)

Borderhibbie76
25-06-2017, 03:05 PM
We've already signed Ambrose, Swanson and Murray. And likely more to come, the futures good :)
Another 3 or 4 in the next few weeks in the forward areas and we will all be happy clappers again 👍

Pretty Boy
25-06-2017, 03:09 PM
Brown and McGinn are incomparable.

Brown had been consistently performing for Hibs in the then SPL for nearly 5 full seasons and was just beginning to establish himself as a Scotland regular.

McGinn is a fine footballer but I was pretty suprised he even got Championship player of the year last season. He missed a chunk through injury for starters (not his fault obviously) and was very inconsistent. He really failed to stamp his authority on a lot of games last year. I like McGinn, he has bags of talent, a great attitude and seems a top guy but he would need to take a huge step forward to make it in the English Championship at this stage of his development or to have the kind of career Scott Brown has had.

Sone of the valuations being thrown about are crazy. I don't think we will sell this summer but if we did abything between £2M and £2.5M would be a good bit of business.

Velma Dinkley
25-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Crazy valuations in football. It'll never catch on. 😀

The Leith Dutch
25-06-2017, 03:27 PM
As it stands we are a weaker team than last season. How many did we draw last season in championship? worrying if we don't replace Cummings with quality and if we did lose Mcginn. The main positive is our solid defence we have, however some of the draws last season would definitely end in defeat in premiership against better teams.

We are still 2 Strikers short
Winger short
Centre midfielders short, think we only have Bartley, Mcgeough, Mcginn and Martin? with Mcgeough injured 90% of the time.

IMO.

If we lost Mcginn on top of that then its worrying. I don't know how much i trust Lennon in the forward areas to sort us out, wasn't really inspired with some of signings last year.

Feel there has to be at least a couple signings next week to pick the atmosphere

McGinn hasn't gone anywhere yet and folk are pissed off that the club hasn't signed a replacement for him yet.

Forward wise we've lost four main players (Cummings, Holt, Keatings and Humphrey).

Murray has a comparible (if not better) goalscoring record to Keatings (around 1 in 3) and managed that in the SPL unlike Keatings. He also has serious pace meaning we've got two genuinely quick players with him and Boyle. He's an upgrade on Keatings imo.

Swanson has 10 goals and 8 assists in the SPL - take your pick but other than Cummings and (I suspect a similar return from Swanson this season wouldn't have left him far behind Cummings if he'd stayed) that replaces one of Holt/Keatings/Humphrey as an upgrade. He can definitely fill in the role behind the front two that Keatings played so often.

Bear in mind with Cummings that good as he was he never hit 20 league goals a season in the Championship so we need to stop talking about it as though we've shipped out a definite 20 goals for next season. We're looking for a decent SPL level striker to replace him - no it's not straightforward but at the same time we're not trying to replace Cristiano Ronaldo here.

Based on that then assuming the main goalscorer gets signed next couple of weeks then we're about where I'd expect in terms of recruitment and in a fairly decent position.

If we still haven't got the main striker in 3 weeks from now then I'd be getting fidgity but I'm assuming Cummings leaving wasn't a surprise to either the board or the manager so unless we were counting on Boyce or Lafferty for a replacement I'd be surprised if we weren't already in the process of talking to his replacement.

edwards
25-06-2017, 03:46 PM
3 million and 50% sell on clause here was me thinking a bid was not going to come in

hibsbollah
25-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Brown and McGinn are incomparable.

Brown had been consistently performing for Hibs in the then SPL for nearly 5 full seasons and was just beginning to establish himself as a Scotland regular.

McGinn is a fine footballer but I was pretty suprised he even got Championship player of the year last season. He missed a chunk through injury for starters (not his fault obviously) and was very inconsistent. He really failed to stamp his authority on a lot of games last year. I like McGinn, he has bags of talent, a great attitude and seems a top guy but he would need to take a huge step forward to make it in the English Championship at this stage of his development or to have the kind of career Scott Brown has had.

Sone of the valuations being thrown about are crazy. I don't think we will sell this summer but if we did abything between £2M and £2.5M would be a good bit of business.

I wouldn't disagree with your initial paragraphs but the thing you're missing I think is in the ten years that have passed since Brown left the market has gone more, not less radge, and valuations can be whatever we want them to be. I actually think we'll get more than we expect,especially with a sensible operator like Dempster negotiating.

lochhibs
25-06-2017, 04:09 PM
does anyone know what % we are to give st mirren? a few figures have been banded about with 33% being the most common. for that reason we should be looking for £3m imo.

LeithMike
25-06-2017, 04:15 PM
McGinn is still in his first contract with Hibs so I would be surprised if there wasn't a significant margin for increasing his wage for signing another contract with a buyout clause which would allow him to leave next year. Comes across as a very decent guy so would think this would be a reasonable solution for all parties.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

neil7908
25-06-2017, 04:36 PM
Are we any further forward in knowing if there is any truth behind this?

Tyler Durden
25-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Cheers for the info :)

Out of curiousity am I right in taking from that there would be some kind of independent valuation of the deal and that valuation would be based on what SJM was worth rather than a valuation of what the incoming players were worth?

No offence to CWG, but it's not really info, its total speculation.

SirDavidsNapper
25-06-2017, 05:29 PM
McGinn won't be going anywhere unless he wants to and hands in a transfer request. Let's hope he stays or we get an offer we can't refuse.

calumhibee1
25-06-2017, 05:44 PM
I'd be tempted to tell McGinns agent that if he is looking to move on that he needs to find a club willing to offer Hibs £3m. If he can't find someone to do that then don't bother getting in touch with us.

emerald green
25-06-2017, 05:49 PM

Stadium Capacity
16/17 Avg Att
European Trophies

Ipswich

Hibs
15k*

:agree: However, it's not just the above stats which will ultimately determine where John McGinn will move to, i.e. it's nothing to do with this bull**** stuff about whether Ipswich (or whoever) is a "big club" or not.

It's about the size of their bank balance, and the size of the wages clubs similar to Ipswich can pay their players. Things Hibs can't compete with unfortunately.

If (and it's a big if) McGinn goes for just £1m he will simply be the latest Hibs player sold on the cheap.

GordonHFC
25-06-2017, 06:00 PM
Does anyone really think that LD is going to let him go for a figure that dosnt suit Hibs?

The Falcon
25-06-2017, 06:07 PM
I think we are going to be really tested with offers for McGinn. It would be tremedous business to get him to sign an extension and have him for one more season then an opt out clause of say £2M and sell on percentage. Sadly if offers are coming in I can see him go and in that case its all about the best deal we can get.

NL then has some money and a lot of work to do to replace Cummings and McGinn. Going forward we probably see another decent pay day when they both step up to higher levels in England.

I think its McGinn who's going to be tested when his ear begins to get bent. If he wants to go then he likely will and LD/RP will try to get the best deal for Hibs.

Wilson
25-06-2017, 06:19 PM
Does anyone really think that LD is going to let him go for a figure that dosnt suit Hibs?

Yes. See Jason Cummings.

Next question.

Heisenberg
25-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Yes. See Jason Cummings.

Next question.

What did we sell Jason Cummings for? What were the ins and outs of the deal and his contract?

There's two questions to keep you busy.

Brooster
25-06-2017, 06:34 PM
:agree: However, it's not just the above stats which will ultimately determine where John McGinn will move to, i.e. it's nothing to do with this bull**** stuff about whether Ipswich (or whoever) is a "big club" or not.

It's about the size of their bank balance, and the size of the wages clubs similar to Ipswich can pay their players. Things Hibs can't compete with unfortunately.

If (and it's a big if) McGinn goes for just £1m he will simply be the latest Hibs player sold on the cheap.

Spot on. If McGinn or any other Hibs player get offered a life changing £8-9k a week do you really think they will stay at Hibs on £2.5k a week out of loyalty? Money talks. If McGinn goes (which I hope he doesnt) he will go with my best wishes and a great deal of gratitude for the happy memories he has created. It will then be up to Hibs to unearth the next McGinn or Cummings but in the meantime we must remain behind the club. That is key if we are to keep progressing. GGTTH.

Elephant Stone
25-06-2017, 06:39 PM

It's a hugely important season for us, with the amount of season tickets sold we can grow as a club if we do things well. If we have an exciting season then hopefully loads of these new ST holders will be returning and we can continue growing. If we have a poor season and all this hard work and positivity is undone it will be a minor disaster. However, it's June. There is loads of time to get the team in place and some folk on this thread are going over the top with fear and negativity. Also it seems that a lot of folk in our support are getting ideas way above our station, we can't compete with Ipswich for players. And John McGinn is not better than Scott Brown was when he signed for Celtic.

MartinfaePorty
25-06-2017, 06:47 PM
According to Wikipedia, James McCarthy went from Hamilton to Wigan for £1.2M in 2009. Was uncapped and had made 100 appearances. Surely McGinn is worth a lot more, not just as that was 8 years ago?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

MyJo
25-06-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes. See Jason Cummings.

Next question.

Thanks to Leann we got a reported £1.8m for Cummings this summer rather than the big fat £0 we would have got without him signing a new contract last year or selling him last summer and not having him to help us win the league

Bishop Hibee
25-06-2017, 07:31 PM
The bidding for SJM should start at £2m.

Greenworld
25-06-2017, 08:11 PM
The bidding for SJM should start at £2m.
Got told tonight that celtic are prepared to offer 2 million and Henderson it is believable but not a solid source .
I still think that's low for him

Ringothedog
25-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Got told tonight that celtic are prepared to offer 2 million and Henderson it is believable but not a solid source .
I still think that's low for him

If we got that I would go back to St Mirren and try and sign Stephen McGinn and Lewis Morgan

CropleyWasGod
25-06-2017, 09:21 PM
No offence to CWG, but it's not really info, its total speculation.
It's what would happen in a straight swap, though, which is how I interpreted the question.

FWIW, I would be very surprised if LD agreed to that.

ian cruise
26-06-2017, 07:40 AM

Stadium Capacity
16/17 Avg Att
European Trophies

Ipswich

Hibs
15k*

Those Ipswich results don't count mate, Rangers weren't involved...

ian cruise
26-06-2017, 07:48 AM

If he went for 1 million it would be far too cheap but we've already turned that down so he's not going for 1 million. What other players have we definitively sold on the cheap in recent years? Only had on is arguable and depending on his contract and sell on values quite possibly not even him.

Ronniekirk
26-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Did i read somewhere there is a new two year deal on the table for him presumably improved wages over that period but he hasn't yet signed this ?

Phil MaGlass
26-06-2017, 09:26 AM

Stadium Capacity
16/17 Avg Att
European Trophies

Ipswich

Hibs
15k*

Werent we world club champions at one time?

erin go bragh
26-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Werent we world club champions at one time?
Yes , we beat PNE 3-1 :)

MrRobot
26-06-2017, 09:58 AM
I think we will have 1 more year with McGinn.

Greenworld
26-06-2017, 12:42 PM
I suppose the good thing is a number of other teams will be watching and perhaps tempted to join in bidding .
If he is to go then top dollar is a must.

Bad Habits
26-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Ipswich have had a bid for Emyr Huws accepted, possibly an alternative to SJM for them?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40405467

GlasgowHibee
26-06-2017, 04:34 PM
He will be a Celtic player before the end of this window according to a mate of mine who's very close to Celtic first team.

Rodgers apparently wanted to sign him in January as well.

Onion
26-06-2017, 04:41 PM
He will be a Celtic player before the end of this window according to a mate of mine who's very close to Celtic first team.

Rodgers apparently wanted to sign him in January as well.

As long as Celtic stump up a king's ransom, they can have him. In fact they can have all our players as long as they share their Euro millions and pay well over the odds.

RossScott1991
26-06-2017, 04:55 PM
If Hibs got 2.5million offered for Mcginn I'd accept it, as much as I love the guy, he was poor at times last season and is not near level of Scott Brown was when at us. I wouldn't have even said he was in our top 5 performers last year so how he got player of year truly baffles. In that said we should still try get over the odds for him and rinse whoever for as much as possible. I do think he is a cracking player though, bit of second season syndrome, he should give us 1 more year show everyone what he can do against the big boys.

Heisenberg
26-06-2017, 05:06 PM
https://stv.tv/amp/1392153-davies-celtic-want-quality-not-quantity-this-summer/

Brightside
26-06-2017, 05:08 PM
https://stv.tv/amp/1392153-davies-celtic-want-quality-not-quantity-this-summer/

So it other words....NO. :greengrin

Just Jimmy
26-06-2017, 05:11 PM
I want money plus hendo and GMS on permanent deals. If we can even get an extra player on top of that, on loan or whatever then excellent.

HoboHarry
26-06-2017, 05:17 PM
If Hibs got 2.5million offered for Mcginn I'd accept it, as much as I love the guy, he was poor at times last season and is not near level of Scott Brown was when at us. I wouldn't have even said he was in our top 5 performers last year so how he got player of year truly baffles. In that said we should still try get over the odds for him and rinse whoever for as much as possible. I do think he is a cracking player though, bit of second season syndrome, he should give us 1 more year show everyone what he can do against the big boys.
He was carrying an injury resulting in being operated on last season but don't let that stand in the way of what you post.....

Greenworld
26-06-2017, 05:37 PM
I want money plus hendo and GMS on permanent deals. If we can even get an extra player on top of that, on loan or whatever then excellent.

I think you might just get your wish

Just Jimmy
26-06-2017, 06:13 PM
I think you might just get your wish

Hope so. I'd be happy to keep mcginn but i feel hibs got bumped with cummings and i want us to get the maximum deal possible as well as strengthen our squad.

emerald green
26-06-2017, 06:22 PM
If he went for 1 million it would be far too cheap but we've already turned that down so he's not going for 1 million. What other players have we definitively sold on the cheap in recent years?

My comment about Hibs players being sold on the cheap was referring to players sold by the club historically, not just in recent years.

A couple of examples: Joe Baker sold to Torino for £75,000 (after Hibs reportedly/allegedly refused Joe a £5 per week wage increase).

Colin Stein to Rangers for £100,000. Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest for £85,000.

Although these transfers happened many years ago, and these were fairly large sums in those times, the fees Hibs received even back then were IMHO far too low.

In more recent years I can think of David Murphy going to Birmingham City for £1.5m in 2008, and Steven Whittaker to Rangers for £2m in 2007. That being the case, Hibs should have been looking for around £2.5m for Cummings.

McGinn should not leave for less than £3m, unless there are very good players coming to Hibs in addition to a large transfer fee plus add-ons.

Why sell ourselves short?

HoboHarry
26-06-2017, 06:31 PM
My comment about Hibs players being sold on the cheap was referring to players sold by the club historically, not just in recent years.

A couple of examples: Joe Baker sold to Torino for £75,000 (after Hibs reportedly/allegedly refused Joe a £5 per week wage increase).

Colin Stein to Rangers for £100,000. Peter Cormack to Nottingham Forest for £85,000.

Although these transfers happened many years ago, and these were fairly large sums in those times, the fees Hibs received even back then were IMHO far too low.

In more recent years I can think of David Murphy going to Birmingham City for £1.5m in 2008, and Steven Whittaker to Rangers for £2m in 2007. That being the case, Hibs should have been looking for around £2.5m for Cummings.

McGinn should not leave for less than £3m, unless there are very good players coming to Hibs in addition to a large transfer fee plus add-ons.

Colin Stein was a British record at the time (IIRC) so I've no idea how that could be too low?

ian cruise
26-06-2017, 06:36 PM

I don't disagree with you about not selling McGinn on the cheap, anything under 2 I'd say is cheap, anything over 3 I'd say we've done very well considering the Scottish market (out with Celtic).

Some of those players possibly should have gone for more but they were along time ago. Even Murphy and Whittaker were a fair time ago (scarily) and to be honest I'd say we did OK with those considering where they were at the time career wise. Whittaker was a great, versatile player for Hibs but had his inconsistencies which means that 2 million wasn't too far away from an accurate value, Murphy was near end of his contract if I remember (a year to go?) and people weren't paying huge fees for defenders compared to attacking players. The money we got for KT and Scott Brown gave us the impression that was going to be the norm but it was pretty unusual fee for Scottish players, even in the current market, nevermind then.

emerald green
26-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Colin Stein was a British record at the time (IIRC) so I've no idea how that could be too low?

It was the first six-figure transfer between Scottish clubs HH. I don't know if it was a British record transfer fee though.

£100,000 was still far too low IMHO, considering Stein scored eight goals in his first three games for Rangers, including a hat trick against Hibs. :fuming:

emerald green
26-06-2017, 06:50 PM
I don't disagree with you about not selling McGinn on the cheap, anything under 2 I'd say is cheap, anything over 3 I'd say we've done very well considering the Scottish market (out with Celtic).

Some of those players possibly should have gone for more but they were along time ago. Even Murphy and Whittaker were a fair time ago (scarily) and to be honest I'd say we did OK with those considering where they were at the time career wise. Whittaker was a great, versatile player for Hibs but had his inconsistencies which means that 2 million wasn't too far away from an accurate value, Murphy was near end of his contract if I remember (a year to go?) and people weren't paying huge fees for defenders compared to attacking players. The money we got for KT and Scott Brown gave us the impression that was going to be the norm but it was pretty unusual fee for Scottish players, even in the current market, nevermind then.

Fair points. The main thrust of my argument is that I don't want to see players leaving the club on the cheap. :aok:

Deansy
26-06-2017, 09:18 PM
I sincerely hope SJM is not sold - if Hibs do sell him then WHY did we go through all those years of every spare penny going towards the ground redevelopement ?. We were assured (RP) that once the stadium was complete, the next step was that every spare penny would then be invested towards the team, putting a team on the pitch to match the stadium - selling our star-striker and now possibly our star-midfielder, isn't the way to do it. Ok, Cummings is gone but hopefully that's and end to our better players leaving - we DON'T need the money !. The support needs rewarded for all those years of dire, dismal players and teams yet maintained it's support in large numbers ! We certainly don't want to be known as the 'Selling-club with the great stadium' !

scoopyboy
26-06-2017, 10:13 PM
I sincerely hope SJM is not sold - if Hibs do sell him then WHY did we go through all those years of every spare penny going towards the ground redevelopement ?. We were assured (RP) that once the stadium was complete, the next step was that every spare penny would then be invested towards the team, putting a team on the pitch to match the stadium - selling our star-striker and now possibly our star-midfielder, isn't the way to do it. Ok, Cummings is gone but hopefully that's and end to our better players leaving - we DON'T need the money !. The support needs rewarded for all those years of dire, dismal players and teams yet maintained it's support in large numbers ! We certainly don't want to be known as the 'Selling-club with the great stadium' !

At no time did Hibs ever state they wouldn't sell players.

Every club in the world sells players and Hibs are no different.

A better debate would be how much of the sale will be reinvested in the team.

pacorosssco
26-06-2017, 10:29 PM

Yes if money right or he wants move he will go. Sadly I think he is ready to test himself higher level and being around national squad will make him want to. JC I feel needed another season here before move but Mcginn looks ready to test himself. Sad truth is we cant replace quality like for like. We are weaker without both.

As long as we get best fee possible its cruel side of football. Scott Allen deal showed we can move on

The Leith Dutch
26-06-2017, 10:54 PM

As frustrating as it is to sell players we want to keep hold of the facts are if a player wants to go there is nothing a team can do to keep hold of that player if the opportunity and wages are something the current club can't offer them.

pacorosssco
26-06-2017, 10:58 PM
As frustrating as it is to sell players we want to keep hold of the facts are if a player wants to go there is nothing a team can do to keep hold of that player if the opportunity and wages are something the current club can't offer them.

Even further hed be shoved out if wanted stay but club offered fee they couldnt turn down.

Deansy
26-06-2017, 11:14 PM

I never said that. Of course I know that, compared to the 'Old S**m'/English clubs, we can't hang on to our better players but what I would hope is we hang on to them long enough for us to really enjoy them, enjoy some success before they move on. Hibs-teams that compliment our stadium, Hibs-teams that reguarly compete at the top - more days like 21st May 2016 !. Fair enough saying we'll always be a 'selling-club' but I'd rather we were a 'selling, competive, successful club' - I just don't think think selling all our better players at the same time is the way to do it ! Going into the SPL without Cummings is bad enough but also without SJM will, afaic, wipe out the 'Feel-good' factor we currently have.

IWasThere2016
27-06-2017, 10:03 AM

:agree: We were ALWAYS going to sell JC and SJM this window. Anyone thinking otherwise must be on glue.

Hibs do NOT - and rightly so - let contracts run down when a player has significant sales value.

I would be unimpressed if we didn't "cash in" (as before with Riordan, Caldwell, IM etc). Lessons have been learned.

blackpoolhibs
27-06-2017, 10:08 AM
:agree: We were ALWAYS going to sell JC and SJM this window. Anyone thinking otherwise must be on glue.

Hibs do NOT - and rightly so - let contracts run down when a player has significant sales value.

I would be unimpressed if we didn't "cash in" (as before with Riordan, Caldwell, IM etc). Lessons have been learned.

Uhu, i never expected us to sell both, although i know nothing is out when football is concerned.

Onion
27-06-2017, 10:55 AM

Not necessarily, Hibs were under no financial pressure to sell either of them. In saying that, from the day we signed SJM, we always knew he'd be sold on at some point and IMO now seems like the obvious time for him to move on. He's played his part in our promotion and winning the Cup. He's also received international caps from playing fro Hibs. What else is there for him to achieve ?

Just hope Hibs don't have their heads buried in the sand with their fingers crossed that the SJM transfer pressure disappears. They need to be out there lining up a couple of high quality replacements for JC and JM, and prepared to pay good money for them too.

HibernianJK
28-06-2017, 03:35 PM

I was only 12 at the time so never knew the whole story behind it to be honest.

Interesting to see that.

Geo_1875
28-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Not necessarily, Hibs were under no financial pressure to sell either of them. In saying that, from the day we signed SJM, we always knew he'd be sold on at some point and IMO now seems like the obvious time for him to move on. He's played his part in our promotion and winning the Cup. He's also received international caps from playing fro Hibs. What else is there for him to achieve ?

Just hope Hibs don't have their heads buried in the sand with their fingers crossed that the SJM transfer pressure disappears. They need to be out there lining up a couple of high quality replacements for JC and JM, and prepared to pay good money for them too.

We can't go out and buy high quality replacements and expect them to accept £2/3K per week. Cummings has gone and will be getting 2 or 3 times the wage he was getting at Hibs. When McGinn goes he will go to a bigger club who will also pay him a damn sight more than we do. What we'll rightly do is sign young prospects or older players with a couple of years left who will sign for the reasonable wages that Hibs can afford to pay. And I'm happy with that.

truehibernian
28-06-2017, 03:54 PM
We can't go out and buy high quality replacements and expect them to accept £2/3K per week. Cummings has gone and will be getting 2 or 3 times the wage he was getting at Hibs. When McGinn goes he will go to a bigger club who will also pay him a damn sight more than we do. What we'll rightly do is sign young prospects or older players with a couple of years left who will sign for the reasonable wages that Hibs can afford to pay. And I'm happy with that.

I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player - all signed :aok:........oh and Rocky :take that

Sean1875
28-06-2017, 04:10 PM
Looking back, it makes getting 4.4 for Brown a great deal. Can't imagine we'll see a Hibs player going for that much again for a very, very long time.

The Modfather
28-06-2017, 04:26 PM
I was only 12 at the time so never knew the whole story behind it to be honest.

Interesting to see that.

Hadn't seen the post by Gregor earlier in this thread until you quoted it. Only part I'd query is:

"Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal."

That's not quite how I remember it. I remember Collins being instrumental in talking up the value of both players and playing an important role in the prices we eventually sold them for. It's conjecture on my part but without Collins I'd not have been surprised if Rod had sold them for cheaper, while still good money, if Collins hadn't publically called out their real market value.

King Dominique
28-06-2017, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;5083781]I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player

I like the optimism. I think those players should be Hendo, Ciftci and Whittaker if financially viable! It would give all three guys a great opportunity to get their respective careers back on track.

With a mill to work with these deals could hopefully be negotiated..

If SJM goes as well and the budget increases even further I don't see why GMS Is out of the realms of possibility.

promote Scott Martin to a more prominent role and develop him look at getting cover for Mcgeough and we would be top 4 contenders.

Speculative yes - Impossible no.

Regardless - In Leanne we Trust.

Steve20
28-06-2017, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=truehibernian;5083781]I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player

I like the optimism. I think those players should be Hendo, Ciftci and Whittaker if financially viable! It would give all three guys a great opportunity to get their respective careers back on track.

With a mill to work with these deals could hopefully be negotiated..

If SJM goes as well and the budget increases even further I don't see why GMS Is out of the realms of possibility.

promote Scott Martin to a more prominent role and develop him look at getting cover for Mcgeough and we would be top 4 contenders.

Speculative yes - Impossible no.

Regardless - In Leanne we Trust.

Just saying 'In Leanne we trust' doesn't mean a thing if we then sell McGinn after selling Cummings. There would need to be some quality replacements brought in to make up for it.

We need much more than just Ciftci up front. Two forwards should be the minimum brought in and probably more like three needed if honest.

Our squad needs 5-6 players brought in as it's much much weaker than last season's. Selling McGinn would be madness.

truehibernian
28-06-2017, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=JamieMartinx;5083853]

Just saying 'In Leanne we trust' doesn't mean a thing if we then sell McGinn after selling Cummings. There would need to be some quality replacements brought in to make up for it.

We need much more than just Ciftci up front. Two forwards should be the minimum brought in and probably more like three needed if honest.

Our squad needs 5-6 players brought in as it's much much weaker than last season's. Selling McGinn would be madness.

Depends who you are getting, whether there is also cash, and whether SJM may also be loaned back.

Lots of options, certainly no madness in selling him - especially if it's a win/win for the club. I think we will sell him, however I also think we will spend/deal very wisely from it.

muzzando
28-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Ipswich Town have just signed another central midfielder Emyr Huws, so that might be them dropping their interest in McGinn

Geo_1875
28-06-2017, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=JamieMartinx;5083853]

It's a business. We'll sell McGinn if the money is right and we'll use it to buy players who can do a job at the going rate.

Borderhibbie76
28-06-2017, 04:51 PM
I'll go out on a limb and say that this time next week we will have 1) a young prospect 2) a player who desperately needs games but has real talent and 3) a very experienced and versatile ex player - all signed :aok:........oh and Rocky :take that
That would be lovely ...sounds good 2me ...fingers crossed :)

majorhibs
28-06-2017, 08:30 PM
Hadn't seen the post by Gregor earlier in this thread until you quoted it. Only part I'd query is:

"Neither Strachan (initially) nor Collins (bar the fact that he pissed off the players to the point they wanted out) were involved ; Sir Rod understood this and in a case of either you're out or you're in ended up joining in the circle-jerk with the agent, permatan Jackson, and Celtic, to make sure at least Hibs would get the best deal."

That's not quite how I remember it. I remember Collins being instrumental in talking up the value of both players and playing an important role in the prices we eventually sold them for. It's conjecture on my part but without Collins I'd not have been surprised if Rod had sold them for cheaper, while still good money, if Collins hadn't publically called out their real market value.

With ye on that one! Collins was VERY vocal about their worth at the time, & with his background his voice carried plenty weight. (Plus he called hertz a pub team)

Lago
28-06-2017, 08:43 PM
Next week I will watch with interest, but I don't expect it to happen.

Stevie Reid
29-06-2017, 03:46 PM
I've always found it hard to imagine that Celtic would be interested in McGinn anyway, but surely the signing of this guy makes any move less likely:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40446748

I supposed the flipside could be Ipswich following up their supposed interest.