PDA

View Full Version : Hibernian Ladies Champions League

hibby rae
24-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Sorry if already posted but didn't see one.

Drawn with Swansea in our group. Reasons to be confident? I'm not sure how the Scottish game compares to other leagues in Europe (Bayern Munich is probably not a good indicator, I imagine they would be beat most teams comfortably, female or male :agree: ), although I presume two go through so should stand a decent chance of progressing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40381507

Brightside
24-06-2017, 09:58 AM

Drawn with Swansea in our group. Reasons to be confident? I'm not sure how the Scottish game compares to other leagues in Europe (Bayern Munich is probably not a good indicator, I imagine they would be beat most teams comfortably, female or male :agree: ), although I presume two go through so should stand a decent chance of progressing.

The romanian team are top drawer. They will be the others easy.

Saturday Boy
24-06-2017, 10:07 AM

The winners of the 10 qualifying groups plus the best runner up fill the 11 spaces in the round of 32.

It will be difficult for the ladies, the August temperature in Cluj-Napoca is usually in the 30s. Not something we're used to.

The games come a week after the U19 Euros and Hibs will have four or five players away then. A lot of games in a short period of time.

I've always wanted to visit Transylvania , this could be a good excuse to go this year. Can't beat a Euro trip.

hibby rae
24-06-2017, 12:47 PM
The winners of the 10 qualifying groups plus the best runner up fill the 11 spaces in the round of 32.

It will be difficult for the ladies, the August temperature in Cluj-Napoca is usually in the 30s. Not something we're used to.

The games come a week after the U19 Euros and Hibs will have four or five players away then. A lot of games in a short period of time.

I've always wanted to visit Transylvania , this could be a good excuse to go this year. Can't beat a Euro trip.

Why do they have the different format and hold the group in one country in such a short space of time?

MWHIBBIES
24-06-2017, 01:02 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40381507Doubt they would get close to even an average mens team.

The FC Dallas u15s mens team recently beat the US Womens team (one of the best in the world) 5-2. Difference in pace and power is massive.

That being said, would be interesting to see Hibs ladies have a good run in the Champions league, they have been very successful domestically.

Saturday Boy
24-06-2017, 01:21 PM
Why do they have the different format and hold the group in one country in such a short space of time?

I don't know. I suspect it was introduced to cut down on travelling expenses. About 10 years ago, Hibs were drawn as host club and played the games at Linlithgow Rose.

There are many more entries to the tournament now . The 21 clubs with the highest coefficient go straight into the pot for the round of 32, the others were placed in pots of 10, again based on coefficient.

Hibs are 2nd seed in the group, the host Cluj are top seeds.

NOLA
24-06-2017, 04:21 PM
Looking forward to this season for the Ladies team my daughter has met a few of the players through school visits and it's an exciting team to watch at the moment! All the best ladies [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saturday Boy
24-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Looking forward to this season for the Ladies team my daughter has met a few of the players through school visits and it's an exciting team to watch at the moment! All the best ladies [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last game before the summer break is tomorrow. 1pm kick off at Ainslie Park, playing Aberdeen. I'm sure your daughter would enjoy it. The players do take time to speak to younger fans, and being youngsters themselves, are always happy for selfies 😳