PDA

View Full Version : Hibs v Liverpool

Waxy
23-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Looks great,wish i was old enough to go at the time.
Anyone remember?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6aFDyKlD50

GordonHFC
23-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Anyone remember?

Yep. It was absolutely p*****g down that night. Went to the 2nd leg and was back at school the following morning.

Lago
23-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Anyone remember?

I was there, fabulous goal, ball to Duncan who raced down the left squared it across the box & Harper did the rest.

Earlydelivery
23-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Absolutely drowned that nite , got beat 3-1 down their I think ?

SCHAEDYSHORTS
23-06-2017, 06:50 PM
I my first ever European game, Mam didn't want me to go incase there was bother "wi the English fans" only relented when my uncle took me, I was only ten! Got soaked but have great memories of that night. Recently picked up the home program on e bay for £1.50, happy days! 2nd leg indeed we lost 3-1, sure we missed a penalty at home?

Big L
23-06-2017, 06:54 PM
I was there, we scored 1st, Alex Edwards if I remember correctly. We lost 3 goals to 3 headers at the back post, Toshack!

Big L
23-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Eddie dropped Pat Stanton for that game and it cost us dearly. They had a wee fall out.

SCHAEDYSHORTS
23-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Liverpool went on to win it, so it took the best team in the comp to just sneak by us! 🇳🇬

GordonHFC
23-06-2017, 07:03 PM
Absolutely drowned that nite , got beat 3-1 down their I think ?

Yep. John Toshak scored his first hat trick for Liverpool.
My mum made me a green, white and green flag for the first match and when I got home it was green, lime green and green.

Pete70
23-06-2017, 07:08 PM
I was in the seated enclosure behind the goal. I remember a group of about 5 nervous scousers sitting in the row in front of me. 1 of whom was wearing a great big floppy red cap about the size of a large pizza.

Did Clemence not save a John Brownlie pen?

Big L
23-06-2017, 07:10 PM
He did, that would have put us 2 up at ER.

Big L
23-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Liverpool went on to win it, so it took the best team in the comp to just sneak by us! 🇳🇬

Correct!! Great days!!

Waxy
23-06-2017, 07:29 PM

That's something i didn't know. We also lost to Leeds in the same era. Anyone know how far they went?

ballengeich
23-06-2017, 07:38 PM
Did Clemence not save a John Brownlie pen?

Not really. He waited until the ball stopped moving then picked it up.

Brownlie was a superb player, but that penalty was one of the most feeble I've seen.

Skol
23-06-2017, 07:39 PM
scored the pen and we won on goal difference

Golden Bear
23-06-2017, 07:40 PM
Yes, I was there. It was a great era to be a Hibby. Times have changed, TV money has seen to that and I doubt if we'll ever get back to these dizzy heights again.

stantonhibby
23-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Not really. He waited until the ball stopped moving then picked it up.

Brownlie was a superb player, but that penalty was one of the most feeble I've seen.

Who was the regular pen taker for the tornadoes ? I feel I should know this but cant think. I would have O'Rourke taking them.

iwasthere1972
23-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Wasn't at that one but was at the one in 1970 when Toshack scored and we lost 1-0. Was in the coo Shed and despite getting beat it was still a memorable European night when we could go toe to toe with the best.

Sadly nowadays due to the Sky megabucks these days are gone forever.

Iggy Pope
23-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Who was the regular pen taker for the tornadoes ? I feel I should know this but cant think. I would have O'Rourke taking them.

John Brownlie.

ancient hibee
23-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Don't think we ever got enough to have a regular taker. Had he scored 3-1 at Liverpool would have taken us through.

Earlydelivery
23-06-2017, 07:46 PM
That's something i didn't know. We also lost to Leeds in the same era. Anyone know how far they went?
We lost to them in 1974, a year later they played in European cup final .
Showed you how good we were in the day .

ballengeich
23-06-2017, 07:46 PM
scored the pen and we won on goal difference

Liverpool went on to win the tournament then built on it to win the European Cup the following season. The whole history of football may have swung on one miskick.

Lago
23-06-2017, 07:48 PM
He did, that would have put us 2 up at ER.
Yip if we had scored we would have won on away goals, so close.

Iggy Pope
23-06-2017, 07:49 PM
I my first ever European game, Mam didn't want me to go incase there was bother "wi the English fans" only relented when my uncle took me, I was only ten! Got soaked but have great memories of that night. Recently picked up the home program on e bay for £1.50, happy days! 2nd leg indeed we lost 3-1, sure we missed a penalty at home?

Do you need a copy of the 2nd leg programme? PM me. It's yours for nowt cos I like your username.

iwasthere1972
23-06-2017, 07:50 PM

I'm sure it was 1973. I was there. Dunbar end for the penalties.

Kaiser1962
23-06-2017, 07:52 PM

They did beating Brugge in the final. They also went on to win the next two European Cups in 76-77 and 77-78.

WoreTheGreen
23-06-2017, 08:09 PM
Went to both LFC and LUFC but young to remember mutch apart Sir paddy missing a pen against Leeds

Earlydelivery
23-06-2017, 08:11 PM
I'm sure it was 1973. I was there. Dunbar end for the penalties.
My mistake 1973 it was http://www.hibs.net/webkit-fake-url://1b5f60e9-9e88-4b18-922f-3702ffb86876/imagejpeg

Earlydelivery
23-06-2017, 08:18 PM
Tried to copy and paste foto of 2nd leg at ER , old east mobbed 37k , but not letting me do it .

SCHAEDYSHORTS
23-06-2017, 08:23 PM
Do you need a copy of the 2nd leg programme? PM me. It's yours for nowt cos I like your username.

Thankyou, will pm you when I'm home on laptop, username comes from abiding memory as a boy standing right on the touch line behind the wall & watching Erich taking throw ins from what seemed like the half way line & flinging them into the box! All I can see in my mind is a large backside in white shorts in front of me! Seemed apt in memory of a great player, sadly missed but not forgotten 🇳🇬

Earlydelivery
23-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Tried to copy and paste foto of 2nd leg at ER , old east mobbed 37k , but not letting me do it .

pacorosssco
23-06-2017, 10:44 PM

Yes gave the best a game then. Wish had seen it. Football was more a sport then. Teams could be built and every game was no given. League winners largely best home form. Sky Fifa Uefa Tv greed killed the game.

superfurryhibby
23-06-2017, 11:25 PM

Prettybsure they won the league that year. In fact through the haze, of course they did. 28 games unbeaten they went. I was at the return leg at ER. We were ****in brilliant, just never got the breaks.

SON OF PADDY
23-06-2017, 11:43 PM
As many folk have already said, pissing down all day.

I went with a great Hibby friend Kevin Conway who is "sadly know longer with us" I was 14 at the time Kev was a couple of years older than me, didn't stop him trying to get me a pint in the pub 😁 mind.

Fond memories of a true Hibby.
GGTTH

FilipinoHibs
23-06-2017, 11:51 PM
Yes there with my girlfriend. Camped in Liitle France. Brownlie missed a penalty too in last minute (hit the post).

Iggy Pope
24-06-2017, 06:56 AM
Thankyou, will pm you when I'm home on laptop, username comes from abiding memory as a boy standing right on the touch line behind the wall & watching Erich taking throw ins from what seemed like the half way line & flinging them into the box! All I can see in my mind is a large backside in white shorts in front of me! Seemed apt in memory of a great player, sadly missed but not forgotten 🇳🇬

Magic stuff.

southsider
24-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Away leg was brutal. Pool fans were clearly looking for a scrap. Fights everywhere. Ned dropped Pat and we lost 3-0. 3 headed goals. Never had any time for them since. Later became an Everton fan.

FilipinoHibs
24-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Away leg was brutal. Pool fans were clearly looking for a scrap. Fights everywhere. Ned dropped Pat and we lost 3-0. 3 headed goals. Never had any time for them since. Later became an Everton fan.

3-1 in second leg. Trouble at first game as well.

southsider
24-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Prettybsure they won the league that year. In fact through the haze, of course they did. 28 games unbeaten they went. I was at the return leg at ER. We were ****in brilliant, just never got the breaks.

1st leg was at ER. 1-0 brilliant goal by Joe Harper. Game played in a monsoon.

greenlex
24-06-2017, 07:07 AM
£1.50!!!! The ticket for the game cost 50p. Thats inflation for ye.

brog
24-06-2017, 07:10 AM
Just some minor corrections to a nice thread.
1. Alex Edwards equalised at Anfield.
2. Sloop missed the pen with a few mins to go, up the slope at ER. It was a poor pen,only his 2nd or 3rd for the club IIRC & it was saved.
3. 1 week before the return we lost 3-1 at Montrose in LC. Paddy was dropped for next game against St John, we won 4-2 & Pat was again left out in Liverpool.
4. I need help here. My memory is Roy Barry got injured in the game. As a result we had no centre half & Toshack scored his first hat trick, all with headers. Pat's heading ability would have been vital.
Ridiculous to think we lost by same score to Montrose & Liverpool in a week!

jst1875
24-06-2017, 07:38 AM

sure did, had we scored it, we would have went through to next round on the away goal rule

superfurryhibby
24-06-2017, 07:55 AM
2. Sloop missed the pen with a few mins to go, up the slope at ER. It was a poor pen,only his 2nd or 3rd for the club IIRC & it was saved.
3. 1 week before the return we lost 3-1 at Montrose in LC. Paddy was dropped for next game against St John, we won 4-2 & Pat was again left out in Liverpool.
4. I need help here. My memory is Roy Barry got injured in the game. As a result we had no centre half & Toshack scored his first hat trick, all with headers. Pat's heading ability would have been vital.

Brownlie definitely missed the penalty.

You're right about Stanton being dropped after the Montrose debacle. Unbelieveable that we went from the high of beating Liverpool to losing a League Cup tie against a lower division team. When you consider the team we still had, that should never have happened.

FilipinoHibs
24-06-2017, 08:35 AM

2. Penalty not saved came off middle of bottom of goalie's left hand post. I was in West enclosure and right in line.

brog
24-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Brownlie definitely missed the penalty.

You're right about Stanton being dropped after the Montrose debacle. Unbelieveable that we went from the high of beating Liverpool to losing a League Cup tie against a lower division team. When you consider the team we still had, that should never have happened.

Sorry, got my John Bs mixed up! definitely Brownlie who missed it & was definitely saved by Clemence though as previously posted the penalty was really poorly hit.

MKHIBEE
24-06-2017, 08:57 AM
Wasn't at that one but was at the one in 1970 when Toshack scored and we lost 1-0. Was in the coo Shed and despite getting beat it was still a memorable European night when we could go toe to toe with the best.

Sadly nowadays due to the Sky megabucks these days are gone forever.

I was there that night, hard to believe it was 47 years ago. I would have been 13. It's one of only 2 times I went Easter Road with my Dad, the other was Mowbray's first game v Kilmarnock, another loss.
My dad must have been a jinx.

Tomsk
24-06-2017, 11:15 AM
I was at the game at ER. In the video it's Iain Munro who puts the ball on a plate for Duncan to deliver that inch perfect cross for Harper to score. Munro was a very fine player. Tall, elegant, strong. Hibs let him go to the Huns not long after. :confused: In return they got a couple of reserve players, Ally Scott and Graham Fyfe. The former was shocking, as bad as anyone I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey. The latter could have been George Best for all I know as I can't actually recall him playing a game -- if I had to put money on it I would bet he wasn't George Best.:wink:

Turnbull had lost the plot by then. Sorry, I know it's an unpopular point of view. He still had good players but he was doing his utmost to dismantle the side. I don't know to what extent if any he had control over the comings and goings at ER. All I could see was good ones leaving and some utter dross coming in. His decision to leave Stanton out of the team in Liverpool still has me shaking head 40 odd years later -- to try get a sense of it imagine Liverpool leaving out Gerrard or Real dropping Ronaldo.

It wasn't long after Stanton was off to Celtic. Jesus wept.

Tomsk
24-06-2017, 11:16 AM
I was there that night, hard to believe it was 47 years ago. I would have been 13. It's one of only 2 times I went Easter Road with my Dad, the other was Mowbray's first game v Kilmarnock, another loss.
My dad must have been a jinx.

Very hard. It was only 42. :greengrin

kaimendhibs
24-06-2017, 11:18 AM
I was at the game v Liverpool at ER. JB missed the penalty. I was with my grandad. Remember the loss to Montrose also

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Keith_M
24-06-2017, 11:21 AM
I thought this was a pre-season friendly announcement.

:grr:

brog
24-06-2017, 11:28 AM
I was at the game at ER. In the video it's Iain Munro who puts the ball on a plate for Duncan to deliver that inch perfect cross for Harper to score. Munro was a very fine player. Tall, elegant, strong. Hibs let him go to the Huns not long after. :confused: In return they got a couple of reserve players, Ally Scott and Graham Fyfe. The former was shocking, as bad as anyone I've ever seen in a Hibs jersey. The latter could have been George Best for all I know as I can't actually recall him playing a game -- if I had to put money on it I would bet he wasn't George Best.:wink:

Turnbull had lost the plot by then. Sorry, I know it's an unpopular point of view. He still had good players but he was doing his utmost to dismantle the side. I don't know to what extent if any he had control over the comings and goings at ER. All I could see was good ones leaving and some utter dross coming in. His decision to leave Stanton out of the team in Liverpool still has me shaking head 40 odd years later -- to try get a sense of it imagine Liverpool leaving out Gerrard or Real dropping Ronaldo.

It wasn't long after Stanton was off to Celtic. Jesus wept.

I agree with everything you say. ET thought he had Pat's replacement in Lindsay Muir. Lindsay scored 3 goals in his 1st few games including 2 against St J in a 9-2 win. In fact IIRC Pat came on as a sub in that game & was his last appearance for Hibs. Lindsay never scored again & only played about 20-30 games in total. As you say, Eddie was losing it at that time.

Leithenhibby
24-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Yep. John Toshak scored his first hat trick for Liverpool.
My mum made me a green, white and green flag for the first match and when I got home it was green, lime green and green.

I was at both ties and felt we were the better team :cb

He did , and had two chalked off for offside.

Alex Edwards, pulled us back into the tie with a late goal at Anfield. The last ten minutes saw us needing one goal to go through on away goals and if I remember correctly, they flapped a tad, but hung on :greengrin.

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2017, 11:37 AM
I was at both ties and felt we were the better team :cb

He did , and had two chalked off for offside.

Alex Edwards, pulled us back into the tie with a late goal at Anfield. The last ten minutes saw us needing one goal to go through on away goals and if I remember correctly, they flapped a tad, but hung on :greengrin.

I was at that game and im sure it was 1-1 at half time, Edwards scoring in the first half?

Leithenhibby
24-06-2017, 11:55 AM
I was at that game and im sure it was 1-1 at half time, Edwards scoring in the first half?

Not in my head it wasn't, Liverpool were 3 up with ten to go as I recall. I'm off to google haha

Leithenhibby
24-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Hands up, I was off the mark in my head :greengrin

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/870

I have had it in my head from that day till now that we were 3-0 down.......That's a concern :confused:

FilipinoHibs
24-06-2017, 12:09 PM
Reading the match report on LFC history, Brownlee's firmly hit shot was pushed onto the post by Clemence. Cant remember Clemence getting a touch but a long time ago!

MKHIBEE
24-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Very hard. It was only 42. :greengrin

I was referring to the 1970 game which was mentioned in the post I quoted. Apologies if I did not make that clear.

Tomsk
24-06-2017, 12:21 PM
I was referring to the 1970 game which was mentioned in the post I quoted. Apologies if I did not make that clear.

No. It's me who is apologising, chap.
Perfectly clear when I read it again. :aok:

Big L
24-06-2017, 12:49 PM
I was at the game and to this day I believed that Edwards scored 1st at Anfield. Stroked it from 18yds to put us 2 up! In the first game, Ian Munroe was unplayable, he was the best player on the park by a distance. Liverpool player said" if he played like that for us, we would put a statue up outside the ground" I run a bus from the Albion bar and we seen quite a bit of trouble, mainly kids.

brog
24-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Reading the match report on LFC history, Brownlee's firmly hit shot was pushed onto the post by Clemence. Cant remember Clemence getting a touch but a long time ago!

The EEN classic match report from 2008 states "Brownlie side footed a shot that Clemence pushed out then gathered". That's exactly how I remember it.

FilipinoHibs
24-06-2017, 12:58 PM
The EEN classic match report from 2008 states "Brownlie side footed a shot that Clemence pushed out then gathered". That's exactly how I remember it.

Does not sound like the firmly hit shot in the LFC history paper clip with Clemence pushing onto post. I still remember the sound of ball on the foot of the post.

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Hands up, I was off the mark in my head :greengrin

http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/Game/870

I have had it in my head from that day till now that we were 3-0 down.......That's a concern :confused:

:greengrin I can remember things from 40 years ago, but can't remember what i had for my breakfast this morning.

Leithenhibby
24-06-2017, 01:19 PM
:greengrin I can remember things from 40 years ago, but can't remember what i had for my breakfast this morning.

:greengrin

I'm right in saying that Edwards, scored at the Kop end?

GGTTH

brog
24-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Does not sound like the firmly hit shot in the LFC history paper clip with Clemence pushing onto post. I still remember the sound of ball on the foot of the post.

I agree it doesn't. I've read 2 different Liverpool site reports but all they say is Ray Clemence saved a John Brownlie penalty.

JimBHibees
25-06-2017, 07:49 PM

Never hit the post Clemence saved a weak pen.

hibeg
25-06-2017, 08:10 PM
I was directly behind the goal. Clemence saved it on his left hand side. Didn't hit the post.

greenlex
25-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Never hit the post Clemence saved a weak pen.

IIRC the only thing the ball hit before it was saved was the ground as it trundled towards Clemence. One of he worst pens I've ever seen.

Topographic Hibby
25-06-2017, 08:39 PM
I agree with everything you say. ET thought he had Pat's replacement in Lindsay Muir. Lindsay scored 3 goals in his 1st few games including 2 against St J in a 9-2 win. In fact IIRC Pat came on as a sub in that game & was his last appearance for Hibs. Lindsay never scored again & only played about 20-30 games in total. As you say, Eddie was losing it at that time.
Completely off-topic, but I understand that Lindsay was with us on the terraces at Hampden on 21/5 (his daughter and my daughter are friends & work-colleagues).

cmcd
25-06-2017, 08:49 PM
I was there, fabulous goal, ball to Duncan who raced down the left squared it across the box & Harper did the rest.

From memory I'm sure it was Ian Munro who passed a great ball inside the fullback for Duncan to run on to

FilipinoHibs
25-06-2017, 11:39 PM
IIRC the only thing the ball hit before it was saved was the ground as it trundled towards Clemence. One of he worst pens I've ever seen.

This does not square with the firmly hit shot in the LFC history paper clip or my recollections of it hiting the post. Oh the passage of time and memory!

FilipinoHibs
27-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Yes side footed and saved by Clemence. Oh the tricks of time!

http://www.lfchistory.net/Images/newspapers/echo/1975-09-17-hibs-867.jpg

Although it says Clemence dived athletically to the right to save the penalty!

ancient hibee
27-06-2017, 10:16 AM
My memory is that if Clemence hadn't stopped it the ball wouldn't have gone over the line it was so poorly struck.

FilipinoHibs
27-06-2017, 12:39 PM
My memory is that if Clemence hadn't stopped it the ball wouldn't have gone over the line it was so poorly struck.

I think that is your memory playing tricks with you because we did not score. A glass have full outlook!

hibeg
27-06-2017, 04:29 PM
I was certain he dived/fell to his left to save it :confused:
Memory is getting worse :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
27-06-2017, 05:53 PM
I think that is your memory playing tricks with you because we did not score. A glass have full outlook!

Eh? He's not suggesting Hibs did score.

ancient hibee
27-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Eh? He's not suggesting Hibs did score.

Yeh I thought that was pretty clear as well:greengrin

FilipinoHibs
28-06-2017, 08:42 AM
I was certain he dived/fell to his left to save it :confused:
Memory is getting worse :greengrin

Yes I thought dived to left but ball hit the post! Picture on LFC History shows he dived to right but does not look athletic to me!

mim
28-06-2017, 08:59 AM
Yes I thought dived to left but ball hit the post! Picture on LFC History shows he dived to right but does not look athletic to me!

You may be remembering the Leeds 0-0 game, when Pat struck the keeper's left hand post with the first penalty.

FilipinoHibs
28-06-2017, 11:49 AM
You may be remembering the Leeds 0-0 game, when Pat struck the keeper's left hand post with the first penalty.

That was down the slope.

hibeg
28-06-2017, 01:28 PM
That was down the slope.

No it wisnae, your memory is defo worse than mine. Penalties were into the Dunbar end. 100 per cent :greengrin

superfurryhibby
28-06-2017, 01:29 PM
No it wisnae, your memory is defo worse than mine. Penalties were into the Dunbar end. 100 per cent :greengrin

Defo the Dunbar end. I was there, aged 10.

FilipinoHibs
28-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Defo the Dunbar end. I was there, aged 10.

Was not at that game. I am thinking of Bremner clearing off the line.TV highlights.

Fanforlife
28-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Was not at that game. I am thinking of Bremner clearing off the line.TV highlights.

Bremner played keepie uppie on the line/six yard box at the Dunbar end,Gordon,s good goal chalked of at same end and penalties definitely taken at Dunbar end!😞

Leithenhibby
28-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Bremner played keepie uppie on the line/six yard box at the Dunbar end,Gordon,s good goal chalked of at same end and penalties definitely taken at Dunbar end!��

Was it not Cropley's good goal chalked off? :greengrin

WoreTheGreen
28-06-2017, 07:01 PM

Was a a wee laddie but defo Dumbar end

Fanforlife
28-06-2017, 07:16 PM
Definitely Alan Gordon in my memory bank 😀

Tom Hart RIP
28-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Gordon's 'goal' at shed end but pens definitely at Dunbar end. Not 100% certain but I think bremners keepie uppie was in front of the shed.

Fanforlife
28-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Gordon's 'goal' at shed end but pens definitely at Dunbar end. Not 100% certain but I think bremners keepie uppie was in front of the shed.

Perhaps an age thing for me but I still believe that they all happened at the Dunbar end, was a few days after I got married and Mrs was with me so I must have still been drunk 😁

ancient hibee
28-06-2017, 07:34 PM

:top marks

Feed McGraw
28-06-2017, 08:03 PM

It wasn't long after Stanton was off to Celtic. Jesus wept. I missed the 1st leg as I was on holiday but went to the 2nd leg. I still think about that game and the decision to leave Pat out, also the Leeds games a couple of years before when we were so unlucky. These games could have been famous victories instead of glorious failures, having said that, if we`d scored the penalty in the 1st leg we still go through with that 3-1 loss down there - even with the decision to leave out Pat. It would have been classed as a great result !! One thing I don`t agree with is that Stanton left soon after, I think it was around a year later.

hibeg
28-06-2017, 09:27 PM
:top marks

Almost correct.

Gordon's goal was at Dunbar end. Pens were at Dunbar end. Bremner played keepie uppie at Shed end.
:thumbsup:

Leithenhibby
29-06-2017, 01:38 AM
Definitely Alan Gordon in my memory bank ��

According to this report I stand corrected, again. Call myself a Hibby :greengrin

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19731107.htm

GGTTH��

Steve-O
29-06-2017, 02:09 AM
Yip if we had scored we would have won on away goals, so close.

Just so typical of Hibs and even Scotland. A litany of "what might have been IF..." moments in history.

Looking back at our European record from 56 - 79, we really could've won one or two European trophies with a bit of luck. Absolutely zero chance of being in that situation again too. :rolleyes:

Tom Hart RIP
29-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Almost correct.

Gordon's goal was at Dunbar end. Pens were at Dunbar end. Bremner played keepie uppie at Shed end.
:thumbsup:

Are you sure? I could have sworn Alan Gordon's goal was in front of the shed. Anyone else remember?

HIBERNIAN-0762
29-06-2017, 08:11 AM
Are you sure? I could have sworn Alan Gordon's goal was in front of the shed. Anyone else remember?

Think you are correct, and Bremner played keepy uppy on the line at the Dunbar end for sure.

Gettin' Auld
29-06-2017, 10:24 AM
As others have said, it was indeed pissing down that night.

I stood on the east terracing with my auld man and remember some Liverpool guy further down took out an umbrella and opened it up. It kept him dry for about 3 seconds as everyone behind him went nuts and informed him that he'd need an anaesthetic and the assistance of an arse surgeon to retrieve his umbrella if he didn't put it down.

He saw the error of his ways and swiftly folded it up again..........

I also remember Keegan getting the ball full in the dish, from John Brownlie. It was right on the touchline and Keegan got little sympathy from the crowd. :)

superfurryhibby
29-06-2017, 10:44 AM
Brilliant memories of the two games on here. What is tragic is that we only have the Hibs goal at ER for posterity. There are some photos of the Leeds game online too. The east looks rammed, official attendance taking some liberties methinks.

mim
29-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Think you are correct, and Bremner played keepy uppy on the line at the Dunbar end for sure.

This is correct. He also had a couple of cool moments at the shed end. Blackley was flying in to turn the ball into the net and Bremner drew the ball back a couple of feet along the goal line and left Sloop on his erchie :greengrin

Bad Martini
29-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Just so typical of Hibs and even Scotland. A litany of "what might have been IF..." moments in history.

Looking back at our European record from 56 - 79, we really could've won one or two European trophies with a bit of luck. Absolutely zero chance of being in that situation again too. :rolleyes:

Maybes aye, maybes naw.

I bet the ever loyal (genuine, from the past) Man City fans believed that too as they hopelessly descended to where they were, Maine Road a den of what once was.

....never underestimate the stupidity of people with money to burn. All we need is the right radge :cb with millions and we're back. Now, I agree, its highly, highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely. But NOT, zero chance. :greengrin

...we just check the history of said radge, 5 year history and 5 year plans and don't trust anyone with any plans to build hotels, entice back the 400,000 lost fans or any talk about other radgery that stevie wonder could see was a one way road to administration and charity theft...:flag::thumbsup:

ancient hibee
29-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Things get fixed in your mind don't they.Gordon's "goal" was at Dunbar end not downhill.As another example and wandering off thread for many years I used to talk about how Willie Wilson lost us the semi against Dunfermline by failing to come for two crosses at the Tynecastle school end leaving free headers and us going out 2-0. A couple of years ago I saw film of the game and in fact one of the goals was a shot at the Georgie Road end.Oh hum.

Fanforlife
29-06-2017, 01:06 PM
According to this report I stand corrected, again. Call myself a Hibby :greengrin

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19731107.htm

GGTTH��Think what that report referes to regarding Bremners performance and of line clearance is what I was recalling in my first post on this game 😁

brog
29-06-2017, 02:25 PM
It's a bit of an urban myth that Billy Bremner played keepy uppy on the line. He stopped a scrambled shot with his thigh then volleyed it away. At the shed end however he stopped the ball on the line & with several Hibs players advancing on him he rolled it back under his foot & along the line to Frankie Gray. I spent an hour in the Dean Hotel with Billy after Gordon Hunter's testimonial dinner. So in this case - source - Billy Bremner!