PDA

View Full Version : What would be success this season?

Diclonius
23-06-2017, 11:06 AM
For me it'd be at least two of the following three:
Finish in a European qualifying spot (2nd-3rd, 4th if 1st-3rd win both cups)
Win more than we lose v Hearts and finish above them
Reach at least the final of at least one cup, or the semi finals of both

Iain G
23-06-2017, 11:08 AM
For me it'd be at least two of the following three:
Finish in a European qualifying spot (2nd-3rd, 4th if 1st-3rd win both cups)
Win more than we lose v Hearts and finish above them
Reach at least the final of at least one cup, or the semi finals of both

Not getting relegated :greengrin

Blaster
Reach at least one semi final and get top 6. That should be our minimum target

R'Albin
Fourth and unbeaten against the Yams would be mine. Very achievable.

Navids Numpties
23-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Top 6, unbeaten vs Hearts and Rangers, Scottish cup win.

yonder1875
23-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Treble.

If not, a top 4 finish with no losses against Hearts.

SirDavidsNapper
23-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Top 6 and finishing above Hearts would be acceptable. Anything else would be bit of a failure. 2nd or even 3rd might be beyond us unless we get a couple of really good players in.

Michael
23-06-2017, 11:19 AM
6th place is underachieving IMO. In reality we don't finish 6th or above very often, but we should never aim for less than top 5.

Ozyhibby
23-06-2017, 11:25 AM
Top 3 and above the yams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty Boy
23-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Top 4 or 5 and a couple of decent cup runs. 2nd or 3rd and a final would be a very, very good season. Winning something would be exceptional as pretty much our entire history shows.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

danhibees1875
23-06-2017, 11:29 AM
The "aim": Top 2 & cup win

A Success: Top 4 & good cup runs (preferably Hampden unless we get Celtic early in both cups)

A Reasonable expectation: Top 6 & don't do anything silly in the cups

A bad season: Bottom 6 & nothing good in the cups

A Butcher season: What Butcher done

green day
23-06-2017, 11:35 AM

A Success: Top 4 & good cup runs (preferably Hampden unless we get Celtic early in both cups)

I like that reasoning!

MWHIBBIES
23-06-2017, 11:36 AM

A Butcher season: What Butcher doneThe aim would be one of the best seasons in the clubs history. While it would be incredible, it is unlikely no matter who we sign.

I'd absolutely take top 4 and good cup runs, would be a really good first season back up.

GreenNWhiteArmy
23-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Anything from "A Reasonable expectation" above would imo be a more than decent first season back in the top flight after failing to get promoted twice.

Would love a dirty League Cup win in November to boost us through Dec

snooky
23-06-2017, 11:43 AM

To be fair, all I'm looking for at this stage is not to be involved in a fight to avoid relegation.
Anything more would be a bonus. :coffee:

danhibees1875
23-06-2017, 11:51 AM
The aim would be one of the best seasons in the clubs history. While it would be incredible, it is unlikely no matter who we sign.

I'd absolutely take top 4 and good cup runs, would be a really good first season back up.

I appreciate that, I just think that's what our "aim" should be. I think Rangers will be a lot stronger this year and will get 2nd if I'm being honest, but I still think we should be playing for that.

hfc rd
23-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Top 4, pumping and finishing above the yams plus a good run in both cups or even better win one of them.

DH1875
23-06-2017, 11:54 AM
I figure we should be challenging for 3rd/4th spot. Throw in a couple of good cup runs (obv depends on the draw) and we are sorted :flag:

superfurryhibby
23-06-2017, 11:56 AM
We have had two 3rd place finishes in the past 40 years. Emulating that would be some achievement on our return.

The team with Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy, Zitelli etc finished 6th 1st season after promotion. That is probably where we will end up, but given that we still have a few key signings to make and possibly a few more departures, it's a bit futile speculation at the moment.

Pretty Boy
23-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Anything from "A Reasonable expectation" above would imo be a more than decent first season back in the top flight after failing to get promoted twice.

Would love a dirty League Cup win in November to boost us through Dec

Surely the League Cup has Hearts name on it given their incredible recent record in the competition?

Pretty Boy
23-06-2017, 12:03 PM
We have had two 3rd place finishes in the past 40 years. Emulating that would be some achievement on our return.

The team with Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy, Zitelli etc finished 6th 1st season after promotion. That is probably where we will end up, but given that we still have a few key signings to make and possibly a few more departures, it's a bit futile speculation at the moment.

I can remember 3 3rd place finishes in less than 25 years so don't think 2 in 40 is correct. 94/95, 00/01 and 04/05.

I take your wider point though.

NAE NOOKIE
23-06-2017, 12:11 PM
A fantastic season would be making the top 3 a cup final and extending our unbeaten run against the Yams by another 4 games .. provided we both make the top 6 of course :greengrin

A good season would be making the top 6 a cup semi final and 2 wins a draw and a narrow undeserved defeat in the derbies.

A poor season would be failure to make the top 6, getting pumped oot both cups early and failing to pick up at least 6 points from the Yams.

We all know what a disastrous season looks like .............. NEVER AGAIN !!! :confused:

Bob Box Fish
23-06-2017, 12:13 PM
Top 6 and undefeated against the yams with a few wins against the Huns.

CMurdoch
23-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Between 3rd and 5th.
Placings in that group Dependent on quality of strikers signed by us, quality of replacements for departures signed by Aberdeen and quality of players signed by Hearts from now until the season starts.

JeMeSouviens
23-06-2017, 01:01 PM
Top 4.

I expect Hearts to continue as they finished last season, so being above them will be no measure of success. :wink:

portyhibernian
23-06-2017, 01:05 PM
Top four finish and continue the good derby form. I think that's realistic. Top two would be an excellent season.

KWJ
23-06-2017, 01:19 PM

As well as what PB said plus Zitelli joined the season after when we did finish 3rd.

But yup, I tend to agree with you. Setting our target too high can have a negative impact all round if we're nowhere near come Christmas. The potential is there but scraping top 6 is still a good season on return to the league.

Biggest thing for me is continuing the upward trajectory of the club season on season.

Since90+2
23-06-2017, 01:20 PM
Celtic will run away with the title again , they wont go all season unbeaten but i'd be surprised if they lost more than 2 or 3 games.

Rangers have spent a lot of money (on wages at least) and I would be surprised if they dont finish 2nd with a bit to spare.

Aberdeen will be strong enough but wont be as good as the last few years and I have a feeling they might lose abit of momentum now that they are likely to be scrapping for 3rd place again rather than the title / 2nd spot.

I reckon we will finish anywhere between 3rd and 6th. Anything less than a top 6 finish would be disappointing.

The cups are so hard to predict as its luck of the draw as to who you are paired against. If we can avoid getting Celtic (home or away) or Rangers at Ibrox I can see us making at least the semis again this year.

Captain Trips
23-06-2017, 01:29 PM
I find the split top 6th almost like an excuse for failure. For me there is no top 6 there are 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th. 6th is not acceptable ever for Hiberniain.

The split is what it is and my target is by default to be in top half but anything under 4th is for me not good enough. With players we have and hopefully bring in we will see but it is shaping up for a team that doesnt and should never recognise just getting into top 6 is good enough.

Bring it on I say

Gatecrasher
23-06-2017, 01:44 PM
top 4 or 5 with at least 1 trip to Hampden.

.Sean.
23-06-2017, 02:16 PM
I want a cup final and top 3.

And giving Hearts at least one proper leathering.

jacomo
23-06-2017, 02:30 PM
Here are my hopes for the season ahead;

1. The welcome return of exuberant Petrie

2. Leeann slaying all comers as undefeated Twitter champ

3. Lennon avoiding a dug out ban with the 'extreme provocation' defence

4. Cathro red-faced and tearful before the final whistle in a Derby

5. Furious rows between Hibs fans as ticketing arrangements for a sold out match produce another inevitable flash point.

Keith_M
23-06-2017, 02:51 PM
Finishing in the top 6

Slavers
23-06-2017, 02:52 PM
Winning one of the cups and or top 3 in the league would be a success IMO.

Anything less would be mediocre.

Dashing Bob S
23-06-2017, 03:00 PM
The treble would constitute success, and working down from that, outside top four, no semi final and anything less than eight derby points would be failure.

Steve20
23-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Really depends on who we bring in over the next couple of weeks.

Couple of good strikers and we should be aiming for top 4.

James Collins level signings and we will struggle to challenge for top 6.

Winning one of the cups would be success no matter where we finish in the league (except if we get relegated, but there's next to no chance of us going down)

Scouse Hibee
23-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Success would be winning a trophy, ambitious expectation would be top half of table. Failure would be relegation.

Jones28
23-06-2017, 03:15 PM
A top 4 finish would do me. Our cup record suggests we can expect a trip to Hampden next year which would do me fine.

Jim44
23-06-2017, 03:28 PM

To be fair, all I'm looking for at this stage is not to be involved in a fight to avoid relegation.
Anything more would be a bonus. :coffee:

I'm in this camp just now. Consolidation as a Premiership club, no flirting with relegation, competing in every game with some great results to counteract the defeats we will undoubtedly have. If my head eventually pops through the clouds of optimism a lot of folk here are expressing, I'll be a happy bunny but I won't hold my breath.

superfurryhibby
23-06-2017, 03:48 PM
As well as what PB said plus Zitelli joined the season after when we did finish 3rd.

But yup, I tend to agree with you. Setting our target too high can have a negative impact all round if we're nowhere near come Christmas. The potential is there but scraping top 6 is still a good season on return to the league.

Biggest thing for me is continuing the upward trajectory of the club season on season.

Zitelli joined in 2000 and played in the 2001 Scottish Cup final (came on as a sub).

I had forgotten that Miller's team did so well in 94-95. Motherwell finished second that season and had some very good players. Brian Martin, Paul Lambert, Rab McKnnon and Tommy Coyne spring to mind.

18Hibee75
23-06-2017, 04:33 PM
- Unbeaten against hearts
- Top four
- Trip to Hampden
- Win against celtic

Think 3 of those would be a successful season, all would brilliant IMO 👍. (A win against celtic wouldnt define our season but would be a great achievement and would be nice to not let them go Unbeaten again.)

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

shetlandhibee
23-06-2017, 04:36 PM
exactly what aberdeen have just done this past season but win at least one of the cups....:agree:

Velma Dinkley
23-06-2017, 04:39 PM
Our success should in no way be measured against Hearts. They will continue their relegation form, sack Cathro, then panic and sign an experienced manager to save them. Butcher will take care of the rest.

ballengeich
23-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Qualifying for Europe either through league position or another cup win would be success. If you look at our cup record against premier teams over the last two seasons there's every possibility of achieving that, provided the departed strikers are adequately replaced. We've played enough top division opponents for the results to mean more than "anything can happen in a one-off tie". I'd accept coming up just short if we were in contention throughout the season. Bottom six would be failure.

lyonhibs
23-06-2017, 06:21 PM
Reach at least one semi final and get top 6. That should be our minimum target

This plus remain unbeaten against Hearts would be a very decent 1st season back. I mean convincing top 6, not this gash where 6th place ends up with fewer points than 8th.

Top 4 as a "stretch" target for the first season back.

SChibs
23-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Top 5.

Anything in the cups is a bonus, top 5 would be good and give us something to build on for next year.

People saying cup final and top 3 and things like that need to have a wee think. Finishing 3Rd and 2 quarters finals wouldn't exactly be a failure of a season!!

B.H.F.C
23-06-2017, 06:27 PM
Depends who we get in. As things stand we haven't improved the squad yet IMO. I get that the squad we have won't be the one that starts the season, but what we do in terms of strikers is absolutely huge.

hibsbollah
23-06-2017, 06:28 PM
Aberdeen and Der hun should be in our sights. There's no reason why 2nd isn't achievable but I'd take 4th as success, or another cup final.

Anything less than a clean sweep of Derby wins will, however be an embarrassing dismal failure :agree:

wfortune
23-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Treble should be the aim and work down from there.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Thecat23
23-06-2017, 07:04 PM
top 5 good cup runs.

Eyrie
23-06-2017, 07:12 PM
Top four and a cup final will be a success.

Top six and a cup semi is the minimum reasonable expectation.

Bottom six means we've been crippled by injuries.

SquashedFrogg
23-06-2017, 07:14 PM
Winning one of the cups and or top 3 in the league would be a success IMO.

Anything less would be mediocre.

:bye:

Pete70
23-06-2017, 07:32 PM
top 5 good cup runs.

I thinking along the same lines.