PDA

View Full Version : The tears clear my blindness.........

Reaper
21-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm not one to share much, especially to strangers but after the last week or so I've read a lot of feelings that the 'feel good factor' is dissipating around the club. I can see folks perspective as we've lost our top scorer, not much happening with signings currently, disruptive rumours of Lennon leaving etc etc

That Scottish cup final. The final whistle blew and I cried, like many. The first person I spoke to was my wee boy Alfie (I wasnt to allowed to take him as he was only 3) he shouted 'Daddy won the cup' and sang Glory Glory down the phone. I cried some more. I took him to the parade and we got our photo with the cup.

Saturday 19th November 2016, home vs QOS. Just another game to most but THE game for me. It was Alfie's 1st and only game.

In February of this year, Alfie died suddenly. My own life has changed forever. My whole perspective has changed, forever.

I used to, like many worry and often complain about what Hibs were doing or weren't doing. They were and are a huge part of my life but looking back I think sometimes that attitude has clouded the many 'Highs' I've experienced with Hibs.

I now, no longer worry about what Hibs will give but remember what they have already given. Memories that are dearer to me than ever imaginable.

Just my take on things. Keep faith, trust the club and remember your own good times that no one can ever take away from you.

poolman
21-06-2017, 09:45 PM
So many words to describe that post

But it was very poignant

MyJo
21-06-2017, 09:48 PM
I'm not one to share much, especially to strangers but after the last week or so I've read a lot of feelings that the 'feel good factor' is dissipating around the club. I can see folks perspective as we've lost our top scorer, not much happening with signings currently, disruptive rumours of Lennon leaving etc etc

That Scottish cup final. The final whistle blew and I cried, like many. The first person I spoke to was my wee boy Alfie (I wasnt to allowed to take him as he was only 3) he shouted 'Daddy won the cup' and sang Glory Glory down the phone. I cried some more. I took him to the parade and we got our photo with the cup.

Saturday 19th November 2016, home vs QOS. Just another game to most but THE game for me. It was Alfie's 1st and only game.

In February of this year, Alfie died suddenly. My own life has changed forever. My whole perspective has changed, forever.

I used to, like many worry and often complain about what Hibs were doing or weren't doing. They were and are a huge part of my life but looking back I think sometimes that attitude has clouded the many 'Highs' I've experienced with Hibs.

I now, no longer worry about what Hibs will give but remember what they have already given. Memories that are dearer to me than ever imaginable.

Just my take on things. Keep faith, trust the club and remember your own good times that no one can ever take away from you.

from one father to another i am so sorry for your loss.
I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to deal with something so tragic and i hope those beautiful memories keep you strong.

coco mc
21-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Wow beautiful and so sorry so sorry for your loss and god bless Alfie rip ggth x

OxoHibby
21-06-2017, 09:49 PM
Sorry for your loss. Does put it in perspective

The Harp
21-06-2017, 10:00 PM
Don't really have the words to respond properly to you on the loss of Alfie. Can only imagine what you and your family are going through.
My sincere condolences to you and yours.

Jim44
21-06-2017, 10:02 PM

Respect. Very thought provoking. Sorry for your tragic loss.

Scouse Hibee
21-06-2017, 10:03 PM
Words fail me apart from saying so sorry for your loss and thank you for sharing with us one of your cherished memories of your beloved son.

BH Hibs
21-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Thank you thank you thank you thank you. God bless pal and R.I.P wee Alfie

EH6 Hibby
21-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Such a beautiful and moving post. I can't begin to imagine how hard it must have been to write. Thank you for sharing your story.

Deansy
21-06-2017, 10:23 PM

I'm so sorry but I just can't find the words to say - I do, however, admire your courage, love and strength to post your story and that my heart goes out to you and your family !

Borderhibbie76
21-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Puts everything into perspective mate I'm so sorry for your tragic loss...Alfie RIP and I hope all the Hibees up there are looking after you

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

hibsbollah
21-06-2017, 10:38 PM

Oh my goodness. Take it easy and best of luck.

DavidDavidGray
21-06-2017, 10:38 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss, words can't describe the feeling you must have. RIP Alfie 💚

lucky
21-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Glory Glory to wee Alfie x

When reading your post I shouted "oh no" just after the 4th paragraph. Life is so unfair. Football is game and a game we love but it's never more important that life and I can guarantee there's not a fan on here that would not swap the cup win for Alfie to live to be an old man. You have my condolences

Bay Area Hibees
21-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Wonderfullly poignant post.
Thank you for reminding us what really matters.

kaimendhibs
21-06-2017, 11:05 PM
So sorry. RIP Alfie. Take care, sincere condolences

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

green day
21-06-2017, 11:05 PM

As a dad myself, I can barely contemplate how much courage it took to post that.

Ronniekirk
21-06-2017, 11:07 PM

Well you shared this moving story which cant have been easy My Heart goes out to you So true are those last words No one can take away the memories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18Hibee75
21-06-2017, 11:09 PM
So, so sorry for your loss. Lost my wife a few years back and still can't imagine how you felt/feel. It really does put things into perspective and well done for having the courage to share your story with us.

Forever we'll be singing, to the angels High above.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

dunedinhibs
21-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Thank you for sharing your story mate, definitely makes you shift your perspective to the more important things in life. Much love to you and the family from one Hibee to another and I hope Hibs can bless you with many more great memories. Take care :)

Baw187
As a father of young children myself, I struggle to comprehend how I'd handle the loss that you have experienced. I'm so so sorry and admire your courage, honesty, and perspective to share your thoughts with us.

God bless you, your family, and of course, wee Alfie.

McSwanky
I have no words. So sorry for your loss. Unimaginably awful. How brave of you to post this, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

SonOfDavidFrancey
21-06-2017, 11:15 PM
All the best for the future.

FranckSuzy
21-06-2017, 11:17 PM
I am so sorry. RIP wee Alfie and best wishes to you and your family.

JJP
21-06-2017, 11:23 PM
My heart goes out to you and your family. Thanks for telling us about your boy.

Sammy7nil
22-06-2017, 12:01 AM
I have no words. So sorry for your loss. Unimaginably awful. How brave of you to post this, my heart goes out to you and your family.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Agree, so s for your loss tears in my eyes.

SON OF PADDY
22-06-2017, 12:13 AM

Here's me enjoying a wonderful holiday with my two grown-up boy's and there partners, I've clicked on dot.net and read this truly horrendous story !

Words can't describe how sad I feel for you my friend, to lose a child at any age must be the worst thing ever.

God bless you and your family.

Eaststand
22-06-2017, 02:10 AM

A very touching post, and you show incredible bravery sharing that story...thank you for that. I can't begin to imagine how this must feel for you and your family, but you have some beautiful memories of Alfie, and those are very very special.

RIP Alfie

GGTTH

hibbiedon
22-06-2017, 02:50 AM

I am so sorry for your loss, this is one of the saddest posts I have ever read and really puts everything into perspective I would like to thank you for sharing your story and although I do not know you I can assure you §that you have my respect and admiration

Vault Boy
22-06-2017, 03:04 AM
I'm so sorry for your tragic loss. A really poignant post and I love your outlook on things. Hopefully Hibs create many more memories for you to enjoy.

While I'm worth...

Thecat23
22-06-2017, 05:12 AM
Where do you start after reading such a heartbreaking post. You seem to have taken strength for somewhere and to post what you have was something I very much doubt many others would or could.

Thoughts to you and the family and may little Alfie be up there looking over you all. I'm actually struggling typing this so I can't even imagine how you done it.

BSEJVT
22-06-2017, 05:48 AM
As a father to two children I can neither imagine the pain of your loss or the courage it took for you to post your story.

It speaks volumes for you that you took the time and trouble to make that post to remind us all that there truly are very few things in life that really matter.

I hope in time you will overcome the loss of wee Alfie, your post and the calm dignity of it tells me you will.

I am glad that Hibs were able to help provide you with those memories you naturally cherish.

Take care of yourself and your family.

stuart01
22-06-2017, 05:59 AM

As already been said, one father to another - very sorry for your loss. Puts everything else into perspective!

Green Blood
22-06-2017, 06:02 AM
Taken so young, so sorry on the loss of Alfie,RIP little one!

Juice-Terry
22-06-2017, 06:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible loss. All the very pal. GGTTH!

Pete
22-06-2017, 06:43 AM

I can't think of any suitable words and all I can do send you love and hope you stay strong for each other as a family. I can try and imagine what you're going through but I can't.

This community is virtual, but the people are very real. If, in the future, talking about something helps then go for it. You'll no doubt hear lots of understanding and supporting voices.

Take care of yourself and each other.

HibbyAndy
22-06-2017, 07:41 AM
I truly had tears running down my face reading that...rip wee Alfie up there with the hibee angels in the sky...Terrific post mate and took plenty courage..It certainly puts life into perspective.

bob12345
22-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Thanks a lot for sharing, certainly puts it all into perspective. Really sorry for your loss.

RoscoHibby
22-06-2017, 08:39 AM
I have a 3 year old son called Alfie. Hibs daft, loved it when we won the cup and loves glory glory to the hibees.

I can't even comprehend how you must feel. I have tears reading this. My many many condolences to you and your family.

Forever GGTTH and wee Alfie.

21sMay
22-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Tears in my eyes when I read your post. I'm a father to a young girl and couldn't start to imagine what you and your family are going through. Stay strong and thoughts are with you and your family . Rip alfie...to the angels high above

Hibby Gav
22-06-2017, 09:56 AM
I can't imagine how you feel..
Thank you for feeling able to share with us....bless the wee man and all of your family.
Stay strong....

brog
22-06-2017, 10:02 AM
As a dad & now a grandad I can't even begin to know how you're dealing with your loss. I do know however that you're a strong, brave person to post your personal story on here & I also know the Hibs family will support you in any way possible should you need it. Much love.

KWJ
22-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Beautiful and emotional post, thank you for sharing.

That QotS game will always live with me too as it was my first in 5 years having lived overseas. I went by myself and, despite losing the match and sitting away from my usual East Stand, I was overcome with a feeling of being home and belonging. I had it too when landing at Edinburgh airport or walking into my grans flat but Easter Road just stirs something inside me and I'm sure most of us.

The players in the jersey, the staff in the dugout and the suits in the comfy seats don't matter so much as just the club being there and I suppose the ground too where I can close my eyes and see Latapy net the 6th, Luna miss in injury time and Deeks' offside 35 yard volley.

Anyway, I'm rambling but you made me sad, happy, wistful and grateful all at the same time.

Aw'ra best and Glory Glory to the Hibees.

Baader
22-06-2017, 10:15 AM
So sorry to hear about Alfie. My heart sank when I read that. Much love to you and your family.

penihibs
22-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Really sorry for your tragic loss can't imagine how you deal with this,but as others have said total respect for showing such courage to share it with us.
We all think we have our troubles but nothing surely comes close to losing a child.
God bless you and your family.

crewetollhibee
22-06-2017, 10:51 AM
I'm sure my Dad will be regaling him with tales of the Famous Five, and in turn, Alfie will be making him jealous about being here when we finally won the Scottish Cup. RIP Alfie.

Green Fish
22-06-2017, 10:56 AM
Such sad news. My thoughts are truely with you.

I nearly lost my son last year. Our last outing before he fell ill was the SC weekend. He has now lost his sight and we talk often of our memories of that weekend.

The Hibernian family gave me so much support in dark times and I hope this is the case for you and your family.

RIP.

Sent from my GT-S7275R using Tapatalk

Baker9
22-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Like you I cried at the final whistle and it was the first time I had cried in many years. Reading your post is the second time. It is deeply touching and thank you for having the strength to share it with us.

hibby6270
22-06-2017, 11:11 AM
Words can't convey how sad this made me feel. It takes guts and great strength to share such a heart rending story. Sharing experiences like this can in some way help towards the healing process and I commend you for sharing this with the wider Hibernian family.

One thing that touched me personally and brought back memories was the mention of the phone call you had with Alfie after the SC final. A pleasure I used to share with my own Dad every Saturday after a game discussing the good and the bad points of a game. His health stopped him from going to games and I loved updating him with how the game went.

Treasure the memories. Keep the faith.:aok:

jimbob07
22-06-2017, 11:23 AM

Absolutely heart wrenching. I lost my dad at the grand old age of 84 recently, he did manage to see us win the cup. He was a lifelong Hibby& his middle name was Alfred. He had a great life & to read of your wee boy going so young ismaking me cry. Life can be so cruel.

Sean1875
22-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Absolutely heartbreaking post - truly incredible strength and courage, that many have already said, that you have shown to post and share with us.

R.I.P Alfie - i'm sure the Famous 5 will be taking good care of him up there.

Delboy4
22-06-2017, 11:41 AM
Just opened this thread, I am lost for words.

As a father of two grown up boys, I cannot imagine what you and your family are going though just now. I'm sitting in my office, tears in my eyes for wee Alfie.

You and your family take care and hopefully you will get through this very sad and hard time.

The angels will look after the wee man.

Del x

Bristolhibby
22-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Really sad to read your post buddy. Such a terrible thing to have to bear. One thing I can echo with others on here is things like Hibernian really make you belong and feel part of something. It's that invisible thread that binds us. From me to you and to your Alfie. It's the thing we all share.

Take strength in that connection and your memories.

Persevere.

J

pacorosssco
22-06-2017, 12:12 PM
Life is cruel. Best of wishes to you in hardest of times

NAE NOOKIE
22-06-2017, 12:20 PM
My condolences mate, such a sad story .... RIP young Alfie.

Most of the time stuff like this prompts comments like 'it puts football into perspective' etc ........ But there is another side to that, the part where football gives memories of bonds that cant be broken and to an extent can help in the healing process.

Like most people I have had some pretty tough times, especially losing people I loved. But through it all the one constant was Hibs and the bond shared with my friends who have the same connection to the club and love for it that I do ...... life goes on and for those of us devoted to a football club there is no doubt that its a big help in picking yourself up and continuing with your life ... at least that's what I have found.

stoneyburn hibs
22-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Heart breaking, thoughts are with you.

charmingman
22-06-2017, 12:39 PM
I don’t share much either, I don’t even post! Tears in my eyes as I read your harrowing message.
So sorry for your loss, but thanks for sharing – I can only hope that time eases some of your pain.

dangermouse
22-06-2017, 02:53 PM
Reaper, I feel your pain at your loss. I too have lost a son but he was a lot older than Alfie. His memory marches on.

jacomo
22-06-2017, 06:18 PM
I visited the Grenfell tower site yesterday and I've been thinking a great deal about loss since then. Life can be cruel.

So sorry to read about your loss. But this post is a great credit to you. You write beautifully about your son.

Stan the Man
22-06-2017, 10:10 PM
Thanks for sharing something that no dad should ever have to.

I can't remember reading anything with such a mixture of emotions. I am among those in tears.

I would like to pass on as much love and support as a forum message allows.

Big L
23-06-2017, 08:42 AM
It's abslutely tragic and I'm really sorry for the loss you and your good lady have suffered.

Ilovehibs
23-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Just read your post. Tears dripping out for you, your partner and your wee Alfie. Too cruel mate.

I can only offer you my heartfelt sympathy and the knowledge that from now on I will often think of your wee lad while at the game.

His memory marches on.

Hope you find strength from being part of the Hibernian community.

A day at a time mate. All you can do right now.