PDA

View Full Version : Watford bid for McGinn?

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2017, 11:42 AM
Anyone heard anything about this?

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Please NO - this pre season is steadily getting worse by the day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Jones28
20-06-2017, 11:47 AM
It'll have to be considerable, £2.5 million plus a loan back and a sell on fee.

easty
20-06-2017, 11:51 AM
That'd be a great move for him

hughio
20-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Anyone heard anything about this?

No
:dunno::dunno:Nowt on their fans forum:

Hibbycol
20-06-2017, 11:55 AM
Source ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

JeMeSouviens
20-06-2017, 11:57 AM
His brother Stephen used to play for Watford. Hopefully someone ran across an old story. :confused:

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Someone close to McGinn told me that Watford put a bid in yesterday.

Not claiming to be in the know or anything hence why I asked if anybody has heard anything.

bingo70
20-06-2017, 12:02 PM
I get a bit confused with managers coming and going down south, do Watford have a manger just now?

jodjam
20-06-2017, 12:04 PM
It'll have to be considerable, £2.5 million plus a loan back and a sell on fee.

And Watford to rename their main stand "the famous five stand"

LaMotta
20-06-2017, 12:05 PM
Someone close to McGinn told me that Watford put a bid in yesterday.

Not claiming to be in the know or anything hence why I asked if anybody has heard anything.

Watford previously bid for him when he was at St Mirren around 2014-15. Maybe been watching him closely since.....

Ozyhibby
20-06-2017, 12:08 PM
It would need to be a significant chunk of change as he's a international player and they are a premiership club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CraigHibee
20-06-2017, 12:10 PM
It would need to be a significant chunk of change as he's a international player and they are a premiership club.

This!

Winston Ingram
20-06-2017, 12:12 PM
I get a bit confused with managers coming and going down south, do Watford have a manger just now?

They appointed the guy from Hull, Marco Silva

banarc7062
20-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Source ?

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

400,000 jambos:greengrin

frazeHFC
20-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Watford turned down £40m for Ighalo last year so money obviously isn't an issue for them. £5m minimum for McGinn.

neil7908
20-06-2017, 12:34 PM
Hopefully no substance to this one. If we lose both McGinn and Cummings this summer I'd be pretty disappointed and would expect them club to invest very heavily in the transfer market.

My_Wife_Camille
20-06-2017, 12:55 PM
Not going anywhere. I read on here that becasuse he did the kit launch photo shoot that he is obviously staying this season

just like Scott Allan did

CMurdoch
20-06-2017, 12:57 PM
His brother Stephen used to play for Watford. Hopefully someone ran across an old story. :confused:

Good point.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Hopefully no substance to this one. If we lose both McGinn and Cummings this summer I'd be pretty disappointed and would expect them club to invest very heavily in the transfer market.
I will be a bit p@@@ed off if we lose both tbh and if we do we need to get some serious business done...and quickly.

Record ST sales please show some ambition hold on to Mcginn and concentrate on signing some midfielders and strikers.

Get SJM on a new improved deal and convince him to stay at least another year - similar to what we did with JC last summer

Brooster
20-06-2017, 01:12 PM
I will be pleasantly surprised if John McGinn is a Hibs player next season.

SirDavidsNapper
20-06-2017, 01:13 PM
When are the admins closing this thread?

NORTHERNHIBBY
20-06-2017, 01:14 PM
When are the admins closing this thread?

Once he signs?

Big_Franck
20-06-2017, 01:18 PM
Provided we could get around £2.5m now and it all went to the playing budget I'd be tempted to take it. The budget we'd have with the Cummings money and this would allow us to build an incredibly strong squad over the next 2-3 years, not just for this season. Still plenty of time until the start of the league season as well.

I'd also be happy for him to stay and sign on for an additional year or two, but he's not irreplaceable on his form from last season.

Steve20
20-06-2017, 01:21 PM
I thought we'd only lose one of Cummings and McGinn.. Losing both would be a nightmare heading into our first season back in the Premier. If we are serious about challenging for the top four, this isn't the way to do it.

Centre Hawf
20-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Provided we could get around £2.5m now and it all went to the playing budget I'd be tempted to take it. The budget we'd have with the Cummings money and this would allow us to build an incredibly strong squad over the next 2-3 years, not just for this season. Still plenty of time until the start of the league season as well.

I'd also be happy for him to stay and sign on for an additional year or two, but he's not irreplaceable on his form from last season.

We haven't even showed signs of spending Cummings money yet, there's no guarantee we'd spend money from the sale of McGinn either. I want us to keep our best players.

Hibs4185
20-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Def silly season for the rumours! Lennon away, McGinn's away, Mcgregor away....Next the yams will make a bid for Easter road as they've realised tiny Tynie is a dump and not fit for purpose, even with their super stand, and Edinburgh city will make a bid for our training ground.

Think there is a few jealous jambos on here trying to bring us back down to their level of mediocrity

Tamhere1875
20-06-2017, 01:26 PM
More pish

Iain G
20-06-2017, 01:32 PM

Money to add in Boyce, Henderson, Commons and Moult to the squad on top of Marciano and Whittaker and re-sign Fyvie?

Lago
20-06-2017, 01:36 PM
Begining to wonder why there appears to be a slew of negative post coming one after another.

Stokesy's on fire
20-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Begining to wonder why there appears to be a slew of negative post coming one after another.

correct it appears the doom has suddenly set in and its coming in waves on here.

We've got McGinn!!

Waxy
20-06-2017, 02:03 PM
Jambos seem particularly desperate this close season.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 02:08 PM
I thought we'd only lose one of Cummings and McGinn.. Losing both would be a nightmare heading into our first season back in the Premier. If we are serious about challenging for the top four, this isn't the way to do it.
Not often I find myself agreeing with you Steve but 100% this imo we MUST now keep hold of SJM for another season. We can't sell both our prized assets heading into the new season and can't believe how relaxed some are on here about this?? We are meant to be aiming for at least a top 6 place come on show some ambition. We haven't even replaced Cummings yet and we were already short up front...let's no sell our star midfielder and set us back another few weeks in recruitment

AgentDaleCooper
20-06-2017, 02:08 PM
maybe the admins should re-open the greggs forum for this kind of stuff, it's getting a bit much

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Money to add in Boyce, Henderson, Commons and Moult to the squad on top of Marciano and Whittaker and re-sign Fyvie?
Is that all the done deals we r still waiting on yeah??

Kojock
20-06-2017, 02:09 PM
Maybe Lennon has the same clause in his contract as McNamara and gets a % of all transfer fees hence the reason for selling the Crown Jewels before doing a runner.

Hermit Crab
20-06-2017, 02:13 PM
Will have to be a decent offer as St Mirren get something like a 30% sell on fee don't they?

Hibby Kay-Yay
20-06-2017, 02:14 PM
All they need to do is meet his £500k clause...:cb

Golden Bear
20-06-2017, 02:16 PM
We haven't even showed signs of spending Cummings money yet, there's no guarantee we'd spend money from the sale of McGinn either. I want us to keep our best players.

Is our Manager not on holiday? In any case its been all of a couple of days since the Cummings move was confirmed, a little bit of patience is required methinks.

RyeSloan
20-06-2017, 02:32 PM
I will be pleasantly surprised if John McGinn is a Hibs player next season.

Me too.

Fully expected Cummings and McGinn to leave...they clearly have the ability to play at a higher level and command the wages that go with that.

The key would be replacing them and reinvesting the cash wisely. No easy task but I've not seen anything to suggest that is not the intention.

GordonHFC
20-06-2017, 02:44 PM
I see Boyce has signed for Burton Albion.

The Leith Dutch
20-06-2017, 02:53 PM

A "record fee" apparently but not seeing specifics.....

Wilson
20-06-2017, 02:56 PM

Yes. Identified very early as an unlikely target by all but the fantasists. Hibs, typically, not getting involved in a bidding war with English clubs heavily backed by tv money and sponsorship!

A hibs signing would be nice though.

Jack Hackett
20-06-2017, 03:00 PM

Burtons average attendance last season was just over 5,200. Football in England is totally ****ed.

Ozyhibby
20-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Yes. Identified very early as an unlikely target by all but the fantasists. Hibs, typically, not getting involved in a bidding war with English clubs heavily backed by tv money and sponsorship!

Maybe people just keen that we sign quality players and don't scrimp the way we did with Adam Rooney which then saw us spend three years in the championship while Rooney went on to score over 70 goals in that time with Aberdeen.

easty
20-06-2017, 03:15 PM
A "record fee" apparently but not seeing specifics.....

Boyce's dad told me it was much less than anyone thinks, and a guy who works with one of Liam Boyce's best mates told me that Burton Albion paid for him in empty glass bottles, not even that many of them either.

Viva_Palmeiras
20-06-2017, 03:24 PM

You state the case well for not going "toe-to-toe" in such circumstances.

The Leith Dutch
20-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Maybe people just keen that we sign quality players and don't scrimp the way we did with Adam Rooney which then saw us spend three years in the championship while Rooney went on to score over 70 goals in that time with Aberdeen.

Might be my memory playing tricks but wasn't Rooney's decision based on us offering 2 years and Aberdeen 3?

Ozyhibby
20-06-2017, 03:35 PM
Might be my memory playing tricks but wasn't Rooney's decision based on us offering 2 years and Aberdeen 3?

Hibs only offered to take him on loan. Aberdeen were willing to sign him.

ekhibee
20-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Can't see anything on the Watford forums about this but that doesn't mean there isn't anything in it. There's a lot of talk about foreign players etc, and no mention of McGinn that I can see so far.

Eaststandee
20-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Are people shooting this down because they don't think it's true, or because they don't want it to be true?

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
20-06-2017, 04:00 PM
Are people shooting this down because they don't think it's true, or because they don't want it to be true?

Because there is no evidence of it so far? Doesn't mean it's not happening but so far it's just an Internet rumour like Lennon leaving Hibs yesterday.

kaimendhibs
20-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Hate to say this but may be some truth. My good mate is a Watford season ticket holder and he had heard this😣

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Hang on, I never came on here saying that McGinn was away.

I asked if anyone had heard similar to me.

There's a world of difference between the two.

jonny
20-06-2017, 04:06 PM
Anyone on here that knows me will know that I never post about rumours. The simple reason for that is I don't have any direct contacts at the club so I'm never privvy to things before they happen, BUT (yes, there's a but), I happened to be in the company of someone close to a number of players the past weekend and he said that a move for John McGinn was imminent.
The person is a former uncle (former through divorce) of my good lady and we bumped into him at the weekend. He wouldn't say who the interested party was but was pretty clear that John would be moving on.
I'd be happy to disclose who the person is to certain trusted .net posters but I can't make the details public.

Eaststandee
20-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Because there is no evidence of it so far? Doesn't mean it's not happening but so far it's just an Internet rumour like Lennon leaving Hibs yesterday.

I agree bud, I was hoping someone might be able to say why it isn't happening.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 04:17 PM
Anyone on here that knows me will know that I never post about rumours. The simple reason for that is I don't have any direct contacts at the club so I'm never privvy to things before they happen, BUT (yes, there's a but), I happened to be in the company of someone close to a number of players the past weekend and he said that a move for John McGinn was imminent.
The person is a former uncle (former through divorce) of my good lady and we bumped into him at the weekend. He wouldn't say who the interested party was but was pretty clear that John would be moving on.
I'd be happy to disclose who the person is to certain trusted .net posters but I can't make the details public.
If true lennon and Dempster better pull some rabbits out the hat or there is going to be over 11k very unhappy ST holders - me included

lucky
20-06-2017, 04:29 PM
If an EPL club comes in for anyone in Scotland they'll be sold. If McGinn went he'd be on at least £10-£15k a week if not more. Whilst I don't want him to leave I do like players to try and play at a higher level to test themselves. I'd rather players showed ambition in having a go at the EPL than take the easy option like Scott Brown and spent their career in Scotland

seanshow
20-06-2017, 04:37 PM
Burtons average attendance last season was just over 5,200. Football in England is totally ****ed.

Never mind Burton... what about Watford their stadium holds 21k, and their average attendance in the 2nd tier was about 14k until they got promoted.

I wouldn't pay a penny to sky or bt. Ggtth

BSEJVT
20-06-2017, 04:40 PM
If true lennon and Dempster better pull some rabbits out the hat or there is going to be over 11k very unhappy ST holders - me included

If you didn't think that it was a real live possibility that both Cummings and SJM would be away this window, then you didn't think full stop.

If their going makes you unhappy to be a season ticket holder then again you should have thought harder if a season ticket was for you.

Hibs place in the football food chain means that we will always be a selling club and we could sell 40,000 season tickets and it wouldn't dent the advantage TV money gives the EPL and Championship clubs, Ask The Rangers & Celtic.

Instead of mumping that they are gone, we should maybe be a bit more appreciative that we held onto them long enough to get us out the Championship, which was no mean feat.

As for pulling rabbits out the hat, far too many folk on this board are suffering from premature speculation and childlike impatience.

There are very few signings being made in Scotland, Rangers apart and I have absolutely no doubt we will get signings in.

Unfortunately, I am even more certain that these signings will be deemed not enough / good enough etc etc by plenty folk who either don't understand or cant face up to the reality of where Scottish Football finds itself in the food chain.

We will perform in the transfer market at least as well as Aberdeen and better than Hearts and far better than the rest of the SPL combined.

What more do folk expect?

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 04:44 PM
If you didn't think that it was a real live possibility that both Cummings and SJM would be away this window, then you didn't think full stop.

If their going makes you unhappy to be a season ticket holder then again you should have thought harder if a season ticket was for you.

Hibs place in the football food chain means that we will always be a selling club and we could sell 40,000 season tickets and it wouldn't dent the advantage TV money gives the EPL and Championship clubs, Ask The Rangers & Celtic.

Instead of mumping that they are gone, we should maybe be a bit more appreciative that we held onto them long enough to get us out the Championship, which was no mean feat.

As for pulling rabbits out the hat, far too many folk on this board are suffering from premature speculation and childlike impatience.

There are very few signings being made in Scotland, Rangers apart and I have absolutely no doubt we will get signings in.

Unfortunately, I am even more certain that these signings will be deemed not enough / good enough etc etc by plenty folk who either don't understand or cant face up to the reality of where Scottish Football finds itself in the food chain.

We will perform in the transfer market at least as well as Aberdeen and better than Hearts and far better than the rest of the SPL combined.

What more do folk expect?
Thanks for the lecture on what being an ST holder means...I should know though as I've been one for the last 20 years. I thought the club would try and keep at least 1 of our star duo for our 1st season in 4 back in the top flight...if both go yes I will be disappointed. Don't need a lecture from you on how football operates and the money difference between Scotland and England but thanks for letting me.know.

I'm concerned that we are losing players faster than we are recruiting at the moment in what is a big season ahead....what's wrong with that?? We were built up for a massive summer ahead by everyone at the club and thus far ambrose apart...it's not really materialised. I appreciate there is plenty of time left, but for once it would be nice if we hit the ground running at start of season. Twice in 3 seasons in championship we started slowly due to slow summer signings.

The Leith Dutch
20-06-2017, 04:56 PM
I'm concerned that we are losing players faster than we are recruiting at the moment in what is a big season ahead....what's wrong with that?? We were built up for a massive summer ahead by everyone at the club and thus far ambrose apart...it's not really materialised. I appreciate there is plenty of time left, but for once it would be nice if we hit the ground running at start of season. Twice in 3 seasons in championship we started slowly due to slow summer signings.

Not unreasonable to be concerned.

So far the McGinn thing is a rumour although if I was a betting man I'd have money on us getting an offer we can't or won't refuse before the end of the window.

All about who we bring in. At the moment I'm OK with that as I'd also bet that Lennon will sign some good quality but like you I'd like to see some more movement soon.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Not unreasonable to be concerned.

So far the McGinn thing is a rumour although if I was a betting man I'd have money on us getting an offer we can't or won't refuse before the end of the window.

All about who we bring in. At the moment I'm OK with that as I'd also bet that Lennon will sign some good quality but like you I'd like to see some more movement soon.
Yeah I think he will go too mate personally I always thought we had more chance of keeping JC another season than SJM. Lot of hard work ahead for lennon and Dempster...just be nice to get some good news sooner rather than later - the fans have done their bit with ST sales - time for the club to match that imo

BSEJVT
20-06-2017, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the lecture on what being an ST holder means...I should know though as I've been one for the last 20 years. I thought the club would try and keep at least 1 of our star duo for our 1st season in 4 back in the top flight...if both go yes I will be disappointed. Don't need a lecture from you on how football operates and the money difference between Scotland and England but thanks for letting me.know.

Glad to hear it

King Canute thought he could hold back the sea and that didn't turn out to well either?

Like you I would in an ideal world like to have kept Cummings and SJM, but its not an ideal world. you only need to look at Hearts to see the danger of keeping disaffected players / keeping players too long.

Other than that there is not one person who has left that I am that bothered about / fear we will have difficulty replacing, including Marciano if he doesn't re-sign.

He is better than we have had and I would be happy to see him back, but is by no means the finished article.

I would personally have gone further and released even more but that would have too risky and the club sensibly didn't.

Securing Danny Swanson & Efe are huge positives, they are big upgrades on what has gone and whilst we are short of bodies at present, that will change.

The big unknown is whether the signings will be good ones or not but that is the same conundrum at £50k- £250k in our situation as it to £5 million to £50 million in the EPL
There are absolutely no guarantees.

I don't think we will sign a 20 goal a season SPL striker but Cummings probably wouldn't have been one either.

It takes as long as it takes to get the right players in and part of the reason for that is that its like pass the parcel, the music stops and another layer comes off.

Late in the window you get opportunities that aren't there early

If we blow our beans too early, we will overpay and probably end up settling for sloppy seconds.

WhileTheChief..
20-06-2017, 05:08 PM
King Canute knew he couldn't hold back the sea.

He was showing his subjects that he didn't have divine powers and that only God himself could hold back the tide!!

WoreTheGreen
20-06-2017, 05:14 PM

He was showing his subjects that he didn't have divine powers and that only God himself could hold back the tide!!

Fk me is this late call with I AM Jolly or Hibs net

Captain Trips
20-06-2017, 05:16 PM
We need to be playing a lot harder when it comes to fees for players up here. This league could be the worst on earth but if Watford or anyone think a player from this league is fit for purpose for them then they should pay.

I may get stick but I always thought Hearts did a good turn in getting £9m for Craig Gordon, I know it depends on how many clubs etc are interested but John Mcginn in this day and age isnt worth £2m he is worth a lot more.

TheGreenMan
20-06-2017, 05:29 PM
We need to be playing a lot harder when it comes to fees for players up here. This league could be the worst on earth but if Watford or anyone think a player from this league is fit for purpose for them then they should pay.

I may get stick but I always thought Hearts did a good turn in getting £9m for Craig Gordon, I know it depends on how many clubs etc are interested but John Mcginn in this day and age isnt worth £2m he is worth a lot more.

Exactly. Tell them £10m or GTF. EPL clubs are swimming in cash and everyone knows it. He has 2 years left and if it so happens that we miss out on a piss poor ~£2m offer and have to sell next summer then so be it. We get told were in a great position financially and have interest free small debt So unless they're prepared to offer stupid money then I'd rather keep him.

I realise this is unlikely but £5m or £6m is peanuts to these clubs.

Edit:1 or 2 years left on his contract - I can't remember. Point still stands

E10 Rifle
20-06-2017, 05:42 PM

Not even God can do that though. Nope, only Forth Ports can, through blocking the mouth of the Water of Leith

Captain Trips
20-06-2017, 05:47 PM
Exactly. Tell them £10m or GTF. EPL clubs are swimming in cash and everyone knows it. He has 2 years left and if it so happens that we miss out on a piss poor ~£2m offer and have to sell next summer then so be it. We get told were in a great position financially and have interest free small debt So unless they're prepared to offer stupid money then I'd rather keep him.

I realise this is unlikely but £5m or £6m is peanuts to these clubs.

Edit:1 or 2 years left on his contract - I can't remember. Point still stands

The problem is he will be offered life changing wages down south even a Championship club can offer him 4/5k extra a week for fun. The players know this unfortunatly meaning we would have an unhappy player so we end up being easier to deal with. It would be fantastic to get decent money for a player lke SJM.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 06:27 PM
I'd really like to see him sign a new deal similar to JC last summer and stay at least 1 more season. Surely if he has international ambitions he will realise it's best to delay a move south by a year or so?? Perform for Hibs in prem next season and he will get his big money move. I'd like to think LD and NL are looking at offering him an improved deal...it was mentioned towards end of last season...tho it's all gone pretty quiet since

H18 SFR
20-06-2017, 06:31 PM
Does anyone else think that McGinn simply isn't good enough for the English Premiership?

I'm struggling to see how he would genuinely interest an EPL team.

inglisavhibs
20-06-2017, 06:39 PM
Does anyone else think that McGinn simply isn't good enough for the English Premiership?

Really! Wait till you don't have him. McGinn is a player managers love to have in their team, he is fiercely competitive, hard to play against, drives the team forward, never gives up , scores a few goals, gives you hope even when behind.Yes he can be a bit erratic at times but we will miss him like hell when he does go.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2017, 06:41 PM

When he's on top of his game, i could see him at Watford, but he's hardly even been our best player last season.

He obviously had injuries, and seemed to be playing catch up fitness wise, after playing a lot of football without a break, but he is young and he is the type of player who you just know will improve.

Brooster
20-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Me too.

Fully expected Cummings and McGinn to leave...they clearly have the ability to play at a higher level and command the wages that go with that.

The key would be replacing them and reinvesting the cash wisely. No easy task but I've not seen anything to suggest that is not the intention.

It was always odds on that JC and JM would leave this close season. In fact it was a near certainty. Anyone who thought otherwise is deluded.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 06:51 PM
It was always odds on that JC and JM would leave this close season. In fact it was a near certainty. Anyone who thought otherwise is deluded.
That's rubbish why would people be deluded for thinking 2 players tied to long term contracts would both be sold?? Nobody knows what's around the corner but I think the majority of us would have at best thought 1 of the 2 could be retained for another season at least. Calling people deluded is both harsh and a bit OTT....our manager told the press often enough we didn't have to sell either of them and he hoped to retain them??

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2017, 06:54 PM

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkMe not included, I support Hibernian FC, not John McGinn FC. If he wants to move and does so fine, would be disappointed but we've lost better and we're still here.

RossScott1991
20-06-2017, 06:55 PM
Genuinely hope we can hold onto Mcginn for one more season, take the gamble that he will have a outstanding season in the premiership, helping us finish hopefully in top 4, get himself in the team of the year. Few more scotland call ups / caps and i believe if all this happened we would be in a position we could easily get 4+ million for Mcginn from either Celtic or a club in England.

Think the above would be in the laddies best interest also, he's already on the scotland scene at hibs in championship, so another year and his first year with us in premier league playing well would make his stock rise more

Brightside
20-06-2017, 06:55 PM
That's rubbish why would people be deluded for thinking 2 players tied to long term contracts would both be sold?? Nobody knows what's around the corner but I think the majority of us would have at best thought 1 of the 2 could be retained for another season at least. Calling people deluded is both harsh and a bit OTT....our manager told the press often enough we didn't have to sell either of them and he hoped to retain them??

JC was always going. There a threads from months ago debating if it wouldn't actually be a good thing to cash in on both players, as it would give us the best opportunity to re-invest in the team, and bring in MORE players of that quality.

For the record there has been no bid from Watford at the moment.

Brooster
20-06-2017, 06:59 PM

If you thought both would stay thats perfectly fine. I always thought the liklehood was that both would go for a combined £4m......masive money for Hibs.

blackpoolhibs
20-06-2017, 07:02 PM
If you thought both would stay thats perfectly fine. I always thought the liklehood was that both would go for a combined £4m......masive money for Hibs.

I know F...all, i thought we'd have them both for another season then sell them next summer for £10m each. :greengrin

J-C
20-06-2017, 07:03 PM
McGinn has given us 2 brilliant seasons and if the right offer comes in we cannot stand in his way. We knew this would happen but we all hoped it would be next season, as long as any funds are put back into the club I'll be happy.

Jack Hackett
20-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Cheer up guys... only 72 days 2 hours and 55 mins from......Now! and it will all be over :greengrin

SirDavidsNapper
20-06-2017, 08:30 PM
McGinn has given us 2 brilliant seasons and if the right offer comes in we cannot stand in his way. We knew this would happen but we all hoped it would be next season, as long as any funds are put back into the club I'll be happy.

Can't disagree with that

OxoHibby
20-06-2017, 08:38 PM
Watford previously bid for him when he was at St Mirren around 2014-15. Maybe been watching him closely since.....

But that was about 5 managers ago

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 08:38 PM
As much as if McGinn was togo...were going to get very good money for him!

As long as its invested in the team...im happy!

As it is now....We cant keep players when the offers come in.
It will be a descent wedge though.

I trust in Lennon to find someone for alot less thats going togo the same route.

Fact is....there is no money in Scottish Football!

Deansy
20-06-2017, 08:45 PM
Jeez - all these rumours flying around already !!?? It's like every day is a 'Daily Rectum Day' ??

random sub
20-06-2017, 08:46 PM
For me John McGinn is our best player and worth a decent fee. Loads of potential and would make a good premiership player for a club like Watford. Splash the cash if he does go- keep the record number of season ticket holders happy

OxoHibby
20-06-2017, 08:51 PM
As much as if McGinn was togo...were going to get very good money for him!

As long as its invested in the team...im happy!

As it is now....We cant keep players when the offers come in.
It will be a descent wedge though.

I trust in Lennon to find someone for alot less thats going togo the same route.

Fact is....there is no money in Scottish Football!

Why do you trust Lennon to do that? There is only so many stand out players and many clubs going for them. Sometimes to progress you need to hold onto what you've got

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 08:52 PM
I'd really like to see him sign a new deal similar to JC last summer and stay at least 1 more season. Surely if he has international ambitions he will realise it's best to delay a move south by a year or so?? Perform for Hibs in prem next season and he will get his big money move. I'd like to think LD and NL are looking at offering him an improved deal...it was mentioned towards end of last season...tho it's all gone pretty quiet since

And get an undisclosed fee....which probably means they dont want to tell us how much,as its pi55 poor.
Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!

neil7908
20-06-2017, 08:52 PM

I don't think he's ready to go straight into an EPL sides starting 11. I think if he joined a team like Watford he'd need at least a season getting used to the tempo and higher standards.

I think he's definitely got it in him to be an EPL player but it's almost unheard of to go from playing the likes of Dumbarton in May to Chelsea in August.

For me he'd slot in well with an English Championship team at the top end of the table. A year or two at that level and I could see him stepping up.

Borderhibbie76
20-06-2017, 08:53 PM
And get an undisclosed fee....which probably means they dont want to tell us how much,as its pi55 poor.
Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!
We have to give 30% to St Mirren regardless ...and Ross County have just sold Boyce for a club record undisclosed fee...so not really sure what point your trying to make ??

Waxy
20-06-2017, 08:56 PM
Didn't Dundee utd put a player on a 7 year contract yonks ago? Should we be going 5 year contracts?

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Why do you trust Lennon to do that? There is only so many stand out players and many clubs going for them. Sometimes to progress you need to hold onto what you've got

I believe Lennon has contacts.
What if McGinn doesnt stand out this season?

He has to keep up his performance against better players(which im sure he can do)
Say they offered £2 million.....Id take it!

Unfortunately.....We are currently a selling club.

With the right eyes looking around and that money at disposal....Its possible to find better.

Though I would hope that he does stay for a season!

As English clubs love to pay peanuts for Scottish based players'

The_Horde
20-06-2017, 08:58 PM
Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!

Or just tell everyone what we made and then have no chance of signing anybody because everyone thinks we're minted? Good yin.

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Or just tell everyone what we made and then have no chance of signing anybody because everyone thinks we're minted? Good yin.

In comparison to football...we would hardly be minted mate!

When a club in Scotland gets a transfer fee(outside if Celtic)....its highly unlikely its invested in the playing squad.

Is that not obvious???

OxoHibby
20-06-2017, 09:02 PM
Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!

Dunno the rules about undisclosed fees or why it happens but some are very big

The_Horde
20-06-2017, 09:06 PM
In comparison to football...we would hardly be minted mate!

When a club in Scotland gets a transfer fee(outside if Celtic)....its highly unlikely its invested in the playing squad.

Is that not obvious???

Well, it will be. We can't afford for it not to be.

RedHibby
20-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Burtons biggest transfer fee to date is £250K so they probably got Boyce for £300K.

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 09:15 PM
Burtons biggest transfer fee to date is £250K so they probably got Boyce for £300K.

Would of been more than that....or we would of bidded!

silverhibee
20-06-2017, 09:16 PM
I have heard that McGinn to Watford is a load of nonsense.

Brooster
20-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Would of been more than that....or we would of bidded!

Not a chance we would bid £300k for him. Not a chance.

scooby
20-06-2017, 09:25 PM
I have heard that McGinn to Watford is a load of nonsense.

Yup, much like most of the other daft stories on here.

Pete70
20-06-2017, 09:41 PM
We have to give 30% to St Mirren regardless ...and Ross County have just sold Boyce for a club record undisclosed fee...so not really sure what point your trying to make ??

Not true according to Rod at the last AGM. There is a sell on % but he said it was nowhere near 30%.

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Not a chance we would bid £300k for him. Not a chance.

If we expect and hope for £1million plus...why not?

We paid not far off for Collins!
And that came out the blue.

What we have as a Scottish club is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

Ryan69
20-06-2017, 09:46 PM
Not true according to Rod at the last AGM. There is a sell on % but he said it was nowhere near 30%.

Link?

As everybody seems to accept its 30%

Pete70
20-06-2017, 10:08 PM
Link?

As everybody seems to accept its 30%

No link. He said it to the shareholders at the AGM.

I recall the 30% may have been quoted by someone at St Mirren, perhaps to appease unhappy STM fans. It seems this figure has now become a .Net fact. I'd sooner believe Rod.

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2017, 10:11 PM
No link. He said it to the shareholders at the AGM.

I recall the 30% may have been quoted by someone at St Mirren, perhaps to appease unhappy STM fans. It seems this figure has now become a .Net fact. I'd sooner believe Rod.
The St Mirren chairman said 33% in a Tweet.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Pete70
20-06-2017, 10:14 PM
The St Mirren chairman said 33% in a Tweet.

And Rod said at the AGM it wasn't. Who do you believe?

CropleyWasGod
20-06-2017, 10:18 PM
And Rod said at the AGM it wasn't. Who do you believe?
I wasnt disagreeing. I was helping you out on who said what from St Mirren.

He also.said that JM would be due 10%. So, it could be argued that RP and the St Mirren guy are both correct.... 43% is nowhere near 30% 😈

Pete70
20-06-2017, 10:28 PM
I wasnt disagreeing. I was helping you out on who said what from St Mirren.

He also.said that JM would be due 10%. So, it could be argued that RP and the St Mirren guy are both correct.... 43% is nowhere near 30% 😈

I didn't mean to sound as if I was having a pop at you, it wasn't my intention.
It's just frustrating when people continue to come out with stuff which Rod or someone else at Hibs have denied and yet people still choose to believe the other side.
I happen choose Rod on this matter. Do Hibs fans honestly think Rod, as tight fisted as he is thought to be, would agree to such a big sell on % be it 25, 30, 33. (or even 43 :greengrin)

CMurdoch
20-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Why are we arguing among ourselves?
This story is guff

shetlandhibee
20-06-2017, 10:59 PM
:top markstime to close thread :agree:
Why are we arguing among ourselves?
This story is guff

MWHIBBIES
20-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Plus 30% to St Mirren?

No thanks mate!That isn't what undisclosed fees mean at all.

NAE NOOKIE
20-06-2017, 11:47 PM
I seriously don't think EPL clubs are looking for the likes of SJM .... That's not dissing him, its just that these clubs are looking for guys with international experience or experience in the English championship or a big league like France. If a club were to come in for him I would expect it to be a reasonable sized English championship outfit like Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday.

If the rumours about Watford are true we should say 4 million or no dice ..... these buggers are awash with money and should expect to pay through the nose.

As it is I doubt there's anything in this at all.

monktonharp
21-06-2017, 01:42 AM
Please NO - this pre season is steadily getting worse by the day.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TapatalkI have to comment on this, and say that it is merely a matter of time before SJM leaves, and I have felt that he could also go in the same season as wee JC.not read any posts other than yours and the OP, but it is gonna happen. as long as Hibernian get what he is worth I am happy to see him go on to better things.I don't follow English football much, and don't know if they survived , but he is quality and is one of the best players I have had the pleasure to see over nearly 50 years of watching Hibs.if he stays a year, great. if he goes, he is worth more than the unreported 1m for Jason, much more.

monktonharp
21-06-2017, 01:44 AM
I seriously don't think EPL clubs are looking for the likes of SJM .... That's not dissing him, its just that these clubs are looking for guys with international experience or experience in the English championship or a big league like France. If a club were to come in for him I would expect it to be a reasonable sized English championship outfit like Ipswich or Sheffield Wednesday.

If the rumours about Watford are true we should say 4 million or no dice ..... these buggers are awash with money and should expect to pay through the nose.

As it is I doubt there's anything in this at all.Ermm, he has the required International experience.

mackie77
21-06-2017, 07:31 AM
I've ben told from a friend who works with hibs that Celtic offered £2million plus Henderson & Mackay Stevens, Hibs accepted the bid but McGinn knocked it back as he wants to stay for another year then go down south to further his career.

I don't post very often but if you check my previous posts about players I've been correct.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
21-06-2017, 07:32 AM
I've ben told from a friend who works with hibs that Celtic offered £2million plus Henderson & Mackay Stevens, Hibs accepted the bid but McGinn knocked it back as he wants to stay for another year then go down south to further his career.

I don't post very often but if you check my previous posts about players I've been correct.

I dont believe a move that convoluted could have been put together without it being in the media.

mackie77
21-06-2017, 07:37 AM
the same person told me 3 weeks ago that Cummings was away as 3 club had bid over £1.5million for him,

Jim44
21-06-2017, 07:48 AM
If McGinn joined us in the summer of 2015 and his St Mirren contract finished in summer 2015 ( I know there was the controversy with his 'accident' there), can anyone remind me how St Mirren managed to secure what could be lucrative sell on fee?

NAE NOOKIE
21-06-2017, 07:53 AM
Ermm, he has the required International experience.

Perhaps at U21 level mate. He has played one full game for Scotland and despite getting MOM he hasn't had a kick since, I would hardly think that's the international experience EPL clubs will be thinking of.

bingo70
21-06-2017, 07:54 AM
If McGinn joined us in the summer of 2015 and his St Mirren contract finished in summer 2015 ( I know there was the controversy with his 'accident' there), can anyone remind me how St Mirren managed to secure what could be lucrative sell on fee?

They were due a development fee and a sell on % was negotiated rather than all the money paid up front.

Peevemor
21-06-2017, 07:55 AM

They would have been due a development fee. It looks like St Mirren waived this and accepted the sell on clause instead.

mackie77
21-06-2017, 07:57 AM
I think St Mirren never took development fee for McGinn in return for a bigger percentage sell on clause

Jim44
21-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'd forgotten the circumstances. Good move by St Mirren given the potential.

Brightside
21-06-2017, 08:05 AM

Celtic have made no bids for SJM. He is not on their radar. And if you really think we had a bid that would amount to over £4m for SJM then your pal has caught you good and proper.

Jones28
21-06-2017, 08:12 AM

If that really was the case then Hibs would be booting him out the door.

AndyM_1875
21-06-2017, 08:51 AM
If that really was the case then Hibs would be booting him out the door.

Yep. The only bit in that statement that is true is that McGinn wants to go down south eventually.

J-C
21-06-2017, 09:17 AM

This is exactly what he told me last season when I had a chat with him. Said he loved it at Hibs and his dad is now a Hibs fan too, didn't want to be a bench warmer at Celtic even though it's his club and sees England as the place to really test himself.

Keyser Sauzee
21-06-2017, 09:29 AM
This is exactly what he told me last season when I had a chat with him. Said he loved it at Hibs and his dad is now a Hibs fan too, didn't want to be a bench warmer at Celtic even though it's his club and sees England as the place to really test himself.

I get ur only posting what was said to u by SJM but players will say what they need to in every different situation, if Celtic did come in for an offer that was accepted then he would be off.

Deansy
21-06-2017, 09:32 AM

That's what I get from McGinn from his interviews - a young man with an old head who knows what he's doing !

J-C
21-06-2017, 09:33 AM
I get ur only posting what was said to u by SJM but players will say what they need to in every different situation, if Celtic did come in for an offer that was accepted then he would be off.

I had a good long chat with him and he seemed to see his future very much down south, granted things can change but he seemed honest enough, he said he sees England is where he wanted to test himself properly, maybe sees Celtic as an easy opt out just for money.

jacomo
21-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Not going anywhere. I read on here that becasuse he did the kit launch photo shoot that he is obviously staying this season

just like Scott Allan did

Glad to have put your mind at rest on this one!

Billy McKirdy
21-06-2017, 02:37 PM
As a Luton supporter the prospect doesn't please me at all.

Allant1981
21-06-2017, 02:51 PM
they are looking to sign a young guy from Bolton that could go up to £8m, not sure how good a player he is but surely if the interest in mcginn is true then we have to be looking at serious money

number9dream
21-06-2017, 02:55 PM
Watford in talks with Derby on £8m deal for a young midfielder.
Surely Petrie could get £10m for SJM or has the tache lost his touch?

Eaststandee
21-06-2017, 03:41 PM
If I remember correctly and I may be remembering it wrong, McGinn himself got the development fee (or a big chunk) of what was owed to St Mirren as he had taken them to court over what had happened to him in training, hence why St Mirren wanted such a big sell on %.

Andy74
21-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Watford in talks with Derby on £8m deal for a young midfielder.
Surely Petrie could get £10m for SJM or has the tache lost his touch?

Aye but Will Hughes has played over 150 games in the Championship and has been talked about as a future star for a few years now.

SquashedFrogg
21-06-2017, 09:00 PM
Aye but Will Hughes has played over 150 games in the Championship and has been talked about as a future star for a few years now.

:wink:

bingo70
21-06-2017, 09:01 PM

How many Scottish cups has Will won?