View Full Version : NHC Possible fun and games on 12th July

Newry Hibs
19-06-2017, 11:28 AM
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40325550

Lesser greens v Irish Sevco (maybe)

Mr White
19-06-2017, 11:43 AM
Linfield v Celtc in Belfast on 11th or 12th July? Good grief :hilarious

Part of me wants Linfield to win their tie and set up a pummelling off Celtc but it would probably be best for everyone if they lose to the San Marino team.

Diclonius
19-06-2017, 11:50 AM
The game will be moved. Celtic playing a loyalist team in Belfast could single handedly start a riot.

calumhibee1
19-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Celtic playing away in Belfast on 12th July would be quite simply hilarious. I'm sure the 12th July is a holiday over there aswell? :greengrin:

Newry Hibs
19-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Celtic playing away in Belfast on 12th July would be quite simply hilarious. I'm sure the 12th July is a holiday over there aswell? :greengrin:

12th July is a bank holiday (Orangemans day) . Taken on the 12th as well (not moved to a Monday). Plenty of bonfires on the 11th night as well.

SirDavidsNapper
19-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Backwards morons

LancsHibs
19-06-2017, 12:37 PM
The San Marino tie is a gimmy. This is going to get interesting:worms:

Mr White
19-06-2017, 01:00 PM
Backwards morons

Aye but Linfield have their faults too :greengrin

Andy74
19-06-2017, 01:24 PM
The game will be moved. Celtic playing a loyalist team in Belfast could single handedly start a riot.

We should be dealing with the conditions that make this the case rather than moving football games.

Betty Boop
19-06-2017, 01:27 PM

:greengrin

Jack Hackett
19-06-2017, 04:05 PM
We should be dealing with the conditions that make this the case rather than moving football games.

Mmm! Solve the Irish Sectarian problem or move the game. Tricky one that. :greengrin

Hibby70
19-06-2017, 04:09 PM
I would suggest that should this result in a riot then both teams get kicked out to be replaced by the winners of their respective 2nd tier leagues. Thus keeping the Champions league meaning intact.

Hibernia&Alba
19-06-2017, 04:14 PM
There's no way Linfield should play Celtic in Belfast on 12th July; there will be more than enough craziness on the streets already. Public safety has to be the top priority.

SirDavidsNapper
19-06-2017, 04:40 PM
I say let them get on with it. If they want to cause trouble over events that occurred hundreds of years ago let them. Has no impact on my or my family's life so couldn't care less what the bigoted idiots do to each other. With any luck it will make them see how embarrassing they all are. Probably not though.

LancashireHibby
19-06-2017, 06:38 PM
I say let them get on with it. If they want to cause trouble over events that occurred hundreds of years ago let them. Has no impact on my or my family's life so couldn't care less what the bigoted idiots do to each other. With any luck it will make them see how embarrassing they all are. Probably not though.
Sounds fair enough to me.

Celtc did play in Belfast recently in fairness albeit against Cliftonville so presumably on safer turf, as it were.

CropleyWasGod
19-06-2017, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately, as ever in Northern Ireland, it would be those in the middle that would be the victims of the morons.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Kavinho
19-06-2017, 06:48 PM

Couldn't care less is not the correct attitude to a scenario that has the potential to get very nasty and put lives at risk.

danhibees1875
19-06-2017, 07:30 PM

I think there is probably a high risk of innocent people getting drawn in just by being there though. If hibs were there on a July 12th fixture I'm sure you'd still find pockets of bother (not to the same extent probably) that anyone could end up being in the wrong place for.

It should be pointed out at every opportunity how backwards and stupid sectarianism is as often and at as high profile a level as possible to dissuade people and make them realise how the majority from the outside looking in think about it all. Then policed heavily with a low tolerance for trouble after that for those that don't get the message.

hibee316
19-06-2017, 07:32 PM

Right, you've got 3 weeks. What do you suggest?
:)

Skol
19-06-2017, 08:19 PM
It defies belief that in this day and age a team from one country playing a team from another country on a certain date should raise any questions. What kind of an intolerant world is that to live in.

brianmc
19-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Ach, there'll hardly be any Celtc fans there anyway (assuming linfield get through) . All the flights from Glasgow to Belfast + the Stranraer ferries were booked up by huns months ago!!

Mr White
19-06-2017, 08:31 PM
Ach, there'll hardly be any Celtc fans there anyway (assuming linfield get through) . All the flights from Glasgow to Belfast + the Stranraer ferries were booked up by huns months ago!!

This is a shocking post from someone clearly stuck in the past.

They shut the Stranraer port and moved it to Cairnryan a few years back :greengrin

Sylar
19-06-2017, 08:38 PM
The Linfield chairman has apparently met with the Celtc (sic) executives over lunch after the draw was made, and they've agreed it won't be the 'glorious twelfth' (I think it's the 'Battle of the Boyne' Bank Holiday, according to my iPhone!)...it'll most likely be the 11th, and possibly with an early kick off...

No matter what way you cut this, playing it in Belfast even proximate to that date is a powderkeg waiting to go off. Factor in the current tensions surrounding the Conservative/DUP alliance threatening the Good Friday Agreement, and add in the uncertainty of a possible hard border between the Republic and Northern Ireland following the Brexit negotiations and you have a proper perfect storm.

Mon' the San Marino minnows?

Saturday Boy
19-06-2017, 08:44 PM
As an interesting aside, Hibs Ladies are in the draw for the Champions League qualifying groups this Friday. One of the group hosts they could draw is Linfield.

Sir David Gray
19-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Surely they could switch the ties around so that Celtic have the home game on the 12th July and Linfield are at home the week before/after.

Linfield v Celtic is always going to attract a bit of controversy no matter when it's played but to have it on either the 11th or 12th July is just asking for trouble.

I can't believe the police would allow this either.

UEFA keeps certain countries apart in qualifying groups due to ethno political tensions, why couldn't they do the same thing here?

Sylar
19-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Surely they could switch the ties around so that Celtic have the home game on the 12th July and Linfield are at home the week before/after.

Linfield v Celtic is always going to attract a bit of controversy no matter when it's played but to have it on either the 11th or 12th July is just asking for trouble.

I can't believe the police would allow this either.

UEFA keeps certain countries apart in qualifying groups due to ethno political tensions, why couldn't they do the same thing here?

Linfield aren't going to do that from either a sporting or financial standpoint. A home tie first lets them have a wee bit of a go and try and get a result, whilst ensuring the Celtc fans are interested enough to come over. If it goes to Parkhead first and Celtc (probably) tank them 4 or 5-0, there isn't much incentive for them to travel to Windsor Park in any great number.

I dare say the arguments for separating the teams goes out the window when they're the same country. Besides, there's precedent in the past for teams who are at risk of being embroiled in sectarian violence playing each other in Europe - didn't Rangers end up playing Shelbourne on neutral ground?

Elephant Stone
19-06-2017, 09:53 PM
Linfield aren't going to do that from either a sporting or financial standpoint. A home tie first lets them have a wee bit of a go and try and get a result, whilst ensuring the Celtc fans are interested enough to come over. If it goes to Parkhead first and Celtc (probably) tank them 4 or 5-0, there isn't much incentive for them to travel to Windsor Park in any great number.

I dare say the arguments for separating the teams goes out the window when they're the same country. Besides, there's precedent in the past for teams with opposing sectarian ideologies playing each other in Europe - didn't Rangers end up playing Shelbourne on neutral ground?

:confused:

Sylar
19-06-2017, 10:09 PM
:confused:

Sorry, I'm not suggesting Shelbourne to be any kind of sectarian club - merely that a club from Dublin represented a target for sectarian violence (pretty sure that was the reason the game was moved to neutral ground?

Incidentally, it's not the first time UEFA have done this, and the last time it happened (funnily enough) featured a tie between Linfield and Shelbourne in Belfast: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/jul/13/newsstory.sport9

Elephant Stone
19-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I'm not suggesting Shelbourne to be any kind of sectarian club - merely that a club from Dublin represented a target for sectarian violence (pretty sure that was the reason the game was moved to neutral ground?

Incidentally, it's not the first time UEFA have done this, and the last time it happened (funnily enough) featured a tie between Linfield and Shelbourne in Belfast: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2005/jul/13/newsstory.sport9

Yeah it's not ridiculous to suggest someone could die or be seriously hurt at this. It's going to be an absolute mess if it's not policed well.

Hope the matches are televised though :greengrin

NOLA
19-06-2017, 11:18 PM
No danger the Irish polis let this game go ahead on the 11th July [emoji85] they have their hands full as it is during this week without every Celtic fan in Ireland descending on Belfast for a bevy and a sing song [emoji849][emoji91][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
20-06-2017, 06:00 AM
Mmm! Solve the Irish Sectarian problem or move the game. Tricky one that. :greengrin

:hilarious

Is It On....
20-06-2017, 06:01 AM

Ha ha ha

Is It On....
20-06-2017, 06:06 AM
No danger the Irish polis let this game go ahead on the 11th July [emoji85] they have their hands full as it is during this week without every Celtic fan in Ireland descending on Belfast for a bevy and a sing song [emoji849][emoji91][emoji95]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bevy and a sing song is right. As we are constantly reminded by the Scottish MSM it's only a small minority that cause problems and most fans of the ugly sisters only sing their respective party tunes 😂