PDA

View Full Version : Football Reforms

lapsedhibee
17-06-2017, 02:56 PM
Look what you've caused!! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889)

JJP
17-06-2017, 02:58 PM
They should definitely do that to end time wasting.

hfc rd
17-06-2017, 02:58 PM
Possible scrapping of 45 minute halves and various other laws to be looked at and considered

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

What are your thoughts?

The Leith Dutch
17-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Look what you've caused!! (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889)

Any idea why two 30 minute periods with the clock stopped and not two 45 minute periods with the clock stopped?

Hibee Mac
17-06-2017, 03:01 PM
Oh my these sound like dreadful ideas....

Pass to yourself from a free kick? 60 minute games? Why don't we just make it 5 a side while we're at it

Haymaker
17-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Not following up a penalty?! Nonsense.

Just Jimmy
17-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Utter nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mr White
17-06-2017, 03:09 PM
The stop clock idea is probably the only way to cut out time wasting but I doubt such a fundamental change to the game will happen.

Michael
17-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Would definitely like to see stopping the clock trialed in the league cup or something.

Thecat23
17-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Just leave the ****ing game alone. To cut out time wasting be consistent and book or send players off. Honestly who thinks this **** up?

Haymaker
17-06-2017, 03:23 PM
The stop clock idea is probably the only way to cut out time wasting but I doubt such a fundamental change to the game will happen.

I agree with that one tbf.

Diclonius
17-06-2017, 03:36 PM
This is a great idea. I once used a stopwatch during a half of one of our games a few years ago to see how much "actual" extra time would be - came out at about 15 mins.

superfurryhibby
17-06-2017, 04:12 PM
This is a great idea. I once used a stopwatch during a half of one of our games a few years ago to see how much "actual" extra time would be - came out at about 15 mins.

Help ma boab, that could make the¨matchday experience¨ a rather lengthy one. Better off just booking excessive timewasters and leaving things as they are.

Haymaker
17-06-2017, 04:14 PM
Help ma boab, that could make the¨matchday experience¨ a rather lengthy one. Better off just booking excessive timewasters and leaving things as they are.

Stop the clock when a player goes down but leave it running if the ball simply goes out of play?

superfurryhibby
17-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Stop the clock when a player goes down but leave it running if the ball simply goes out of play?

Better...but games have always had natural breaks for injuries and players going radge etc. Maybe a case for the third official or whatever they are called. They could add the time on and let the ref concentrate on the game.

I wonder if players from the pre-1970´s faked injury and time wasted as much? Maybe the manly culture and wider cultural values meant that overt cheating was less acceptable than it is now.

theonlywayisup
17-06-2017, 04:26 PM
Yes please!

Us football fans have been short-changed for years. Every football team on the planet try to slow the game down at some stage in a match. Some are much more blatant about it than others.

We're paying to watch 90 minutes, but only watching 60 minutes of action.

Imagine if you paid for a pint, but only received two thirds of it - every time you bought one!!

lapsedhibee
17-06-2017, 04:41 PM
Yes please!

Us football fans have been short-changed for years. Every football team on the planet try to slow the game down at some stage in a match. Some are much more blatant about it than others.

We're paying to watch 90 minutes, but only watching 60 minutes of action.

Imagine if you paid for a pint, but only received two thirds of it - every time you bought one!!

The proposal is for only 60 minutes of action.

lord bunberry
17-06-2017, 05:13 PM

I suppose people wouldn't time waste if the clock was stopped.

brianmc
17-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Which is more 'actual game time' than we get at the moment from a 90 minute match I believe?

Edit: meant to quote lapsedhibee.

Waxy
17-06-2017, 05:16 PM
I'd change penalty kicks altogether for a free kick where the offence took place. How many times do you see a kick awarded for a flying striker who overhits the ball at the byeline.injustice.

Ryan91
17-06-2017, 07:30 PM
The idea of only allowing Captains to speak with the referee is a good one, seems to work pretty well in Rugby. Also a fan of the idea that the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line, anyone remember Suarez with his antics in the QF of the 2010 WC vs Ghana - video here on youtube in case you want to watch (https://youtu.be/tDpx9GGH79I?t=3m22s)

All the rest are pretty rubbish though, If I'm honest

madhatter
17-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Idiotic idea.

What do people think will happen should this time wasting preventative come into play? That teams would just attack each other freely for the 60mins...

No they would time waste in other means and do things like get all men behind the ball and just hoof it to other side of park.

Players, coaches, officials, representatives and fans are ruining football, and it must stop. We've seen fans celebrate like crazy at ER after securing a draw...hilarious mentality to have. I'm probably strange but I only celebrate wins, even a draw against Celtic I wouldn't celebrate.

Rather than just book players and send them off we are going to change the fundamentals of the game...by the time this is done we'll be watching volleyball...

RyeSloan
17-06-2017, 11:21 PM
Idiotic idea.

What do people think will happen should this time wasting preventative come into play? That teams would just attack each other freely for the 60mins...

No they would time waste in other means and do things like get all men behind the ball and just hoof it to other side of park.

Players, coaches, officials, representatives and fans are ruining football, and it must stop. We've seen fans celebrate like crazy at ER after securing a draw...hilarious mentality to have. I'm probably strange but I only celebrate wins, even a draw against Celtic I wouldn't celebrate.

Rather than just book players and send them off we are going to change the fundamentals of the game...by the time this is done we'll be watching volleyball...

Eh? So you never celebrated the 2-2 at Tynie ...strange is not the word for that!

Northernhibee
17-06-2017, 11:29 PM
Controversy makes football. The ability to moan about the missed penalty decision of the goal wrongly chopped off when you're in the canteen at work at Monday morning.

This will just sterilize football.

lord bunberry
17-06-2017, 11:30 PM
Eh? So you never celebrated the 2-2 at Tynie ...strange is not the word for that!
I'm still celebrating it. hic hic. When the hibs went up........

madhatter
17-06-2017, 11:34 PM

I celebrated the equaliser but did not celebrate at the end. Is that really what you took from my post?

Look, if we are all focussed on results and draws are almost as important as wins, and the cost of relegations are so high...the game inherently makes cheats and time wasters.

Look at Sergio Ramos' behaviour in Champions League. His team are winning with comfort but he decides to throw himself about and get player sent off.

Falkirk and their fans celebrated a relatively normal league game draw as if they'd won the league...that's not normal, sorry...it creates a culture of playing horrible football to get results. Been the culture at Falkirk since Houston took over.

So what do we do to fix this? Change league structures, create proper financial fair play? Nah, let's change the fundamentals of the game.

A Spanish coach was sacked because his team won 25-0, sacking was extreme but says a lot about the culture there - respect for opposition and not playing entirely for results especially at a youth level. We have Parking a bus and time wasting in our game like a plague...60 minute matches doesn't fix that.

RyeSloan
17-06-2017, 11:39 PM
I celebrated the equaliser but did not celebrate at the end. Is that really what you took from my post?

Look, if we are all focussed on results and draws are almost as important as wins, and the cost of relegations are so high...the game inherently makes cheats and time wasters.

Look at Sergio Ramos' behaviour in Champions League. His team are winning with comfort but he decides to throw himself about and get player sent off.

Falkirk and their fans celebrated a relatively normal league game draw as if they'd won the league...that's not normal, sorry...it creates a culture of playing horrible football to get results. Been the culture at Falkirk since Houston took over.

So what do we do to fix this? Change league structures, create proper financial fair play? Nah, let's change the fundamentals of the game.

A Spanish coach was sacked because his team won 25-0, sacking was extreme but says a lot about the culture there - respect for opposition and not playing entirely for results especially at a youth level. We have Parking a bus and time wasting in our game like a plague...60 minute matches doesn't fix that.

Fair enough...although I certainly celebrated the 2-2 and have celebrated quite a few draws. Results, including draws are all relative.

They are part and parcel of the game and there is not much you can do about that I'm afraid.

I'm with you on the time wasting tho but again it's human nature, ban something and someone just comes up with another way to do the same thing. There are plenty laws and rules that can be used already to stop or mitigate time wasting, no need for a whole pile of new ones.

Some of the other ideas are bonkers...but they are just that ideas. I doubt many, if indeed any, will ever see the light of day.

Boyle89
18-06-2017, 12:16 AM
Controversy makes football. The ability to moan about the missed penalty decision of the goal wrongly chopped off when you're in the canteen at work at Monday morning.

This will just sterilize football.

Exactly! Football is played by and officiated by humans. Humans make mistakes. It's what makes it such a fantastic sport. Changing all this just makes it seem less raw.

tamig
18-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Ithink some of the proposals look reasonable and would like to see some tested out. I've thought for years that there should be no problem for a ref to stop his watch every time a ball goes out of play or if play is stopped so I'm glad that's being looked at. Anything that will allow us to see more football for our dosh can't be bad surely. Not sure about the penalty proposals or players being allowed to "pass to themselves" in dead ball situations. Also like the thought of only the captains being allowed to debate with the ref. Will be interesting to see how that pans out in the Confederations Cup.

My_Wife_Camille
18-06-2017, 12:13 PM
The idea of only allowing Captains to speak with the referee is a good one, seems to work pretty well in Rugby. Also a fan of the idea that the referee can award a goal if a player stops a goal being scored by handling on or close to the goal-line, anyone remember Suarez with his antics in the QF of the 2010 WC vs Ghana - video here on youtube in case you want to watch (https://youtu.be/tDpx9GGH79I?t=3m22s)
All the rest are pretty rubbish though, If I'm honestLooks like a Hibs shirt to the left of the goals

NAE NOOKIE
18-06-2017, 12:51 PM
The only way this would work is if every stadium had a clock that counted down from half an hour that could be stopped by the ref every time play stopped .... not at throw ins, but for example at every injury, every substitution, every bye kick, every free kick. All that bother could be saved if refs would just add on the correct amount of injury time ..... how often has a second half seen 4 substitutions, for which refs are supposed to add on 30 seconds, followed by a player going down for 3 or 4 minutes with an injury but the added on time is 3 minutes.

Personally I would much rather see that than reduce each half to 30 minutes .... its aye been 45 minutes and that's the way it should stay IMO.

All the rest of their ideas fail to address the one issue that pisses everybody off and that's defenders ushering the ball out of play 5 yards from the goal line without making any attempt to play it .... if refs called obstruction in those situations we would see defenders actually trying to play the ball.

Keith_M
18-06-2017, 01:02 PM
How abut booking time wasters and sending them off if they then persist?

About time they cracked down on all sorts of cheating, like players diving and rolling around the ground after somebody merely brushes past them.

tamig
18-06-2017, 01:20 PM
spot on.
it seems they are saying we are being short changed due to stoppages so what they will do is ratify the time wasting and ensure it doesn't get worse.

Players will find new ways to waste time to protect a 1 goal advantage within the new rules. Anti fitba.

on the plus side admission prices will surely fall by a third.
Having a stadium clock is part of the proposals.

SirDavidsNapper
18-06-2017, 02:07 PM
Rangers would have won their first major trophy on 21/5/16. What a thought.

Baader
18-06-2017, 02:19 PM
Interesting. In favour of anything that helps the game. Would need to see how it works though. Football is in pretty good shape so I'd be reluctant to implement anything without lots of trials first. Dribbling in a corner or freekick is nonsense though

tamig
18-06-2017, 02:42 PM
which will be stopped when the ball is out of play.
Teams will work within the rules to waste time while the ball is in play.

it happens now but with only 30 minutes per half the impact will be greater.
Score a goal then defend.
It won't speed up the game. Just make it shorter.

It might be an idea not to change the rules but to support referees in applying the current rules.
I don't think that will necessarily happen. Like I said earlier, I'd like to see it trialled. The ball is currently in play for less than an hour so the spoiling timewasting teams will need to come up with other tactics to enable them to hang on for even longer imo.

tamig
18-06-2017, 02:46 PM
spot on.
it seems they are saying we are being short changed due to stoppages so what they will do is ratify the time wasting and ensure it doesn't get worse.

Players will find new ways to waste time to protect a 1 goal advantage within the new rules. Anti fitba.

on the plus side admission prices will surely fall by a third.
Re the prices. Why would they fall at all? We will see more actual football for our money and will probably be in the stadium for more or less the same amount of time as we are now.

tamig
18-06-2017, 07:35 PM
because they would be cutting the playing time from 90 to 60 minutes.
It should be a lot easier to defend for 60 minutes right enough.

I think you are missing the point. The playing time will be 60 minutes. The actual playing time currently is less than 60 minutes. The ball is out of play or play is stopped in the current game for in excess of 30 mins.

weecounty hibby
18-06-2017, 08:44 PM
The game should be 90 minutes long. Clock should be stopped when a player is down injured, after a goal is scored until the restart, when a pen is given and players start to argue with ref, when players are being booked. But not when it goes out of play. Works very well in rugby and that is a tougher game than football and they play for 80 mins with clock being stopped but not necessarily when ball is out of play.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2017, 08:50 PM
The game should be 90 minutes long. Clock should be stopped when a player is down injured, after a goal is scored until the restart, when a pen is given and players start to argue with ref, when players are being booked. But not when it goes out of play. Works very well in rugby and that is a tougher game than football and they play for 80 mins with clock being stopped but not necessarily when ball is out of play.
WCH, be interesting to see, if they checked a game from 70's/80's/90's etc, and see how the time on the pitch has changed from then, to the 2000's and onwards!

RyeSloan
18-06-2017, 09:00 PM
WCH, be interesting to see, if they checked a game from 70's/80's/90's etc, and see how the time on the pitch has changed from then, to the 2000's and onwards!

What about when the keeps could pick up a back pass....jeeez that could waste a hell of amount of time so I doubt it was any different or better then.

weecounty hibby
18-06-2017, 09:00 PM

I would be prepared to bet that there is less minutes of actual play now than any of those decades. Time wasting and ay acting gets worse and worse every year and anything that can help clamp down would be a good thing. I should have mentioned clock stopping for substitutions as well earlier

weecounty hibby
18-06-2017, 09:02 PM
What about when the keeps could pick up a back pass....jeeez that could waste a hell of amount of time so I doubt it was any different or better then.
But the ball was technically still in play. The back pass rule was brought in to stop this as well.

Billy Whizz
18-06-2017, 09:03 PM

Good reply, definitely a rule that's speeded up play. I'm all for improvements

RyeSloan
18-06-2017, 09:07 PM
But the ball was technically still in play. The back pass rule was brought in to stop this as well.

Technically being the operative word! Some teams and players took it to the extreme...Maurice Backpass wasn't called that for nowt you know [emoji23]

And yeah thanks for highlighting that the backpass rule was brought in to stop the keeps picking up a backpass...I always wondered what that rule was for [emoji57]

weecounty hibby
18-06-2017, 09:12 PM
Only pointing out that some rule changes can work. Malpas was a nightmare but so was butcher with the Hun.

lapsedhibee
18-06-2017, 09:13 PM
And yeah thanks for highlighting that the backpass rule was brought in to stop the keeps picking up a backpass...I always wondered what that rule was for [emoji57]

Why is it ok to header a pass to the goalie? What's the logic in that being legal but kicking it to him/her not so? :dunno:

SuperAllyMcleod
18-06-2017, 09:38 PM
which will be stopped when the ball is out of play.
Teams will work within the rules to waste time while the ball is in play.

it happens now but with only 30 minutes per half the impact will be greater.
Score a goal then defend.
It won't speed up the game. Just make it shorter.

It might be an idea not to change the rules but to support referees in applying the current rules.

There's a difference between wasting time and running the clock down!

Time wasting, as it is at the moment, is any stoppage in play that prevents the game proceeding - ball out of play, substitution, injury, players complaining about free kicks, etc.

Running the clock down is a skill in its own right as to do so you have to have possession of the ball while it is in play. With the ball in play it is up to the opposition to do something to gain possession of the ball and then try to do something with it. The important distinction is that the team trying to get on with the game have an opportunity to do so.

SuperAllyMcleod
18-06-2017, 09:43 PM
Why is it ok to header a pass to the goalie? What's the logic in that being legal but kicking it to him/her not so? :dunno:

Because its harder to engineer, therefore it should only really happen during a genuine piece of defending rather than passing back to simply waste time.

I certainly don't want to see Ambrose crossing/chipping the ball to Hanlon to then headed to the keeper simply to waste time. [emoji4]

greenlex
18-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Nothing wrong with the way it is. If you want to stop the play when the ball is out etc and fir injuries great but leave the game time at 90 mins.

MartinfaePorty
19-06-2017, 12:02 PM
I saw the proposed changes and thought 'here we go again'. However, with the exception of taking a set piece to yourself, I think the rest merit discussion. It's interesting that FIFA have recently relaxed their view that they wouldn't make changes that couldn't be replicated throughout all football, including amateur level, such as video technology. I like the idea of the penalty. Means the ref and assistant can just concentrate on the kick/keeper and move the rest of the players well away (similar to a shoot out). Encroaching is rife and probably every pen could, under the letter of the law, be retaken.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk