PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the hoops

CRAZYHIBBY
15-06-2017, 10:16 PM
I would love to see us bring back the hoops even for one season.... what are your thoughts on it?

H18 SFR
15-06-2017, 10:18 PM
I would love to see us bring back the hoops even for one season.... what are your thoughts on it?

This is actually a very interesting topic for discussion.

Clearly 'we were the first to wear the hoops' and all that but I think it's fair to say that Celtic have well and truly taken ownership of that strip.

It would serve no positive benefit to 'go back there'.

wookie70
15-06-2017, 10:18 PM
Wait until 2025 and do a centenary strip.

snooky
15-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Hoops? Naw for me. Let's keep as far away from the soapies as possible.
However, green & white vertical stripes :aok:

Ronniekirk
15-06-2017, 10:21 PM

Not for me unless it was a third strip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iwasthere1972
15-06-2017, 10:22 PM

Griffiths and Henderson. Yes please.

snooky
15-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Not for me unless it was a third strip
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Typo correction - should read: "a tird strip". :wink:

scuttle
15-06-2017, 10:28 PM
No thanks

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Would that mean we've gone full circle?

easty
15-06-2017, 10:36 PM
Do I want Hibs to have a Celtc strip?

Nah

18Hibee75
15-06-2017, 10:38 PM
Would like it as an away kit with, "first to wear green" on the back of it. :greengrin

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

15-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Would be seen as copying septic unfortunately

iwasthere1972
15-06-2017, 10:52 PM
Would like it as an away kit with, "first to wear green" on the back of it. :greengrin

Not sure there will be any space left on the back of the shirt. Maybe tattooed on the player's foreheads instead.

Mantis Toboggan
15-06-2017, 10:52 PM

Yeah. We would get a lot of stick.
Might work as an away kit, so long as home was bottle green?

18Hibee75
15-06-2017, 10:53 PM
Not sure there will be any space left on the back of the shirt. Maybe tattooed on the player's foreheads instead.
Great idea also.

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2017, 10:58 PM

Can we also sing YNWA as well then.

Kato
15-06-2017, 11:00 PM
Would that mean we've gone full circle?

This argument goes round and round.

I agree with Wookie, it has to be done in 2025, hope I see it.

Kato
15-06-2017, 11:02 PM

Ain't no such thing as bad publicity. The story is there to be told.

Steve20
15-06-2017, 11:04 PM
No

snooky

"You'll Never Wash Alone"?

Greencore
We were first to wear them and we should being it back for one season to celebrate our history.

Why should we be concerned what Celtic or other Scottish teams think of us?

I support all things Hibernian and want to celebrate all things Hibernian and the hoops are apart of our proud history.

ian cruise
15-06-2017, 11:11 PM
Though we wore them first they are now so linked with Celtic that I wouldn't be a fan. I have no problem with using Celtic to loan players from, they are the top performing club in the country and their second string are better than most first teams in Scotland, but that's as close as I'd want the relationship to go. Any signs that will give this "little brothers" line you here from time to time more credence is a no from me.

Additionally, we've made the green with white sleeves our look, I'd be more keen for a famous five homage.

MyJo
15-06-2017, 11:13 PM
it would only work on an anniversary year, like 2025, and if we were to do it we should try and make it as different from celtic as possible by Making bottle green the predominant colour of the strip as opposed to celtics white strip with emerald green hoops.

Even then i would imagine it would only be a limited edition third kit worn a couple of times during that season......like at Celtic Park :greengrin

California-Hibs
15-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Yep, would be all for it. People are too scared what others think. We were first and we should be proud of it! Hopefully we see it at some point. I like that they're included subtle green hoops on the back of our new home top and a nice white trim around the bottom.

snooky
15-06-2017, 11:17 PM
it would only work on an anniversary year, like 2025, and if we were to do it we should try and make it as different from celtic as possible by Making bottle green the predominant colour of the strip as opposed to celtics white strip with emerald green hoops.

Even then i would imagine it would only be a limited edition third kit worn a couple of times during that season......like at Celtic Park :greengrin

:agree: :top marks :aok:

1van Sprou7e
15-06-2017, 11:31 PM
I think bringing it back in 2025 is a good idea, even as a third kit

lucky
15-06-2017, 11:32 PM
Not for me. Our history is just that our history. We've moved on as a club and the hoops are no longer associated with Hibernian. Let's stick to our green home strip. The away strip has been purple, yellow and black in recent years but I prefer a white away strip. Certainly not hoops

Baader
15-06-2017, 11:42 PM
I'd leave well alone. First to wear them but too associated with another club now. Would just play to a particular stereotype.

Besides green body with white sleeves is the best strip anyway!

Hfcwilson3192
16-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Hopefully this does happen. I for one love our irish heritage and our association with james connolly and the irish homerule movement. Our club's history is phenomenal. A wish the 'paranoid we'll be called celtic' brigade would embrace our club's heritage instead of trying to brush it under the carpet. Bring back the hoops all day long for me.

Pete
16-06-2017, 12:52 AM
I would love to do it for an anniversary season.

A lot of people I meet don't know about our history and are very surprised when I tell them our role in the formation of other clubs, especially Celtic.

It would also put Celtics and their friends in the medias noses right out joint but the last thing they can say is that we are copying them. They wouldn't dare.

I sometimes feel our role in Scottish and therefore British football has been undermined by Certain other clubs. I'd have no problem with letting the world know about it while nudging the rest of Scottish football at the same time.

Dashing Bob S
16-06-2017, 01:18 AM
Do I want Hibs to have a Celtc strip?

Nah

It's not a Celtic strip, it's a Hibs strip which they copied. We were first to wear the green, we were also first to wear the green hoops.

I see no harm in reminding myopic OF Scottish football of the history they are always, in song, are professing to know, and bringing it back as a commemorative strip.

sadtom
16-06-2017, 01:39 AM
It's not a Celtic strip, it's a Hibs strip which they copied. We were first to wear the green, we were also first to wear the green hoops.

I see no harm in reminding myopic OF Scottish football of the history they are always, in song, are professing to know, and bringing it back as a commemorative strip.

:agree:
Yep, OUR strip, we should have no qualms about using it. They cant even kit themselves out without copying us.
It would be worth it for the wind up factor alone.
And always good to remind the lesser greens that we are the daddies!

SirDavidsNapper
16-06-2017, 04:04 AM
We should do it for a 3rd strip. It's our green and white hoops after all so why not?

Super_JMcGinn
16-06-2017, 04:48 AM

The seethe from Darkhead would be immense. It might educate them though, good idea :thumbsup:

LancsHibs
16-06-2017, 05:56 AM
When this has been mentioned before I've been against it but I'm certainly warming to the idea for one season to celebrate our 150th (Seltic will have to wait another 13 years😉) but I would want it as an exact copy with the HFC on the front and no sponsor. Also in whatever shade of green we wore back in 1875 but with 'first to wear the green' embroidered on the neck at the back. This would be a thing of beauty😊

Onceinawhile
16-06-2017, 05:58 AM
Definitely should do it for 2025.

Hearing commentators and seeing the weegie press describe why we were in hoops would be great fun.

Golden Bear
16-06-2017, 06:14 AM
Anyone who wants to see the hoops will know where to find them and it's not at ER.

blackpoolhibs
16-06-2017, 06:16 AM

Exactly, we cant be frightened of doing something just because it might upset Celtic. It's part of our history, long before they even existed, so as others have said, lets do it on our 150th anniversary.

It would cause a real stooshie and tell people who don't know their history the truth, not the Celtic truth.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2017, 06:51 AM
I never really get the whole hoops things.

It wasn't our 1st ever strip; that was an all white top with a harp badge. Surely that would be more appropriate as an anniversary kit?

We only used them for 3 years. For the bulk of our history the predominant colour on our home shirt has been a solid green, either emerald or bottle. Do people want to bring back navy or black shorts which we used for almost as long as hoops? Or black socks which we used for considerably longer?

It always just seems like some think it's a way to get at Celtic, who would probably just laugh at us tbh.

Smartie
16-06-2017, 06:59 AM
The seethe from Darkhead would be immense. It might educate them though, good idea :thumbsup:

Celtic would absolutely hate it.

The Rangers would absolutely hate it.

Hearts would absolutely hate it.

What's not to like?

Whilst I'm not overly big on all the Irish stuff it was our strip first and it would be a nice nod to our past and a good opportunity to remind the world who was first to wear the green.

Steve-O
16-06-2017, 07:10 AM

We used to.

Arch Stanton
16-06-2017, 07:21 AM

No reason - we have our own anthem.

Doing a huddle on the other hand....:duck:

I love that old pic of our team wearing hoops - they don't actually look like Celtic's hoops at all - much thinner. I would say yes.

Waxy
16-06-2017, 07:23 AM
Green white and gold hoops.Maybe should do it in 8 years time to mark our 150th birthday.

sleeping giant
16-06-2017, 07:37 AM
We should certainly bring out a special edition historic hooped top.
It's our history.

WeeRussell
16-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Not really for me (and definitely not as a home one) but I wouldn't be upset if it happened.

I dont think you'll ever see Newcastle going back to the red and white stripes they first wore, to mark a certain year or otherwise.

allezsauzee
16-06-2017, 07:52 AM
It wouldn't upset me if it was done but we saw a way to vastly improve the strip and took it. I don't see much point in adopting the inferior model again.

Big90inOz
16-06-2017, 08:15 AM
Definitely would not want to see Hibs in hoops, never ever

seanshow
16-06-2017, 09:16 AM
Funny that OP CrazyHibby should mention this, because I was making up some larger versions of an original mock strip last week, and my overiding view when looking at the strip is just 'Celtic.
...as others have said, would we be commemorating history, educating the great unwashed, or is it simply an attempt at point scoring?
Here is a few of my variations.

https://s17.postimg.org/qiy1an5yz/HIBSv_W2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qiy1an5yz/)https://s7.postimg.org/c6io2ei07/HIBSv_G.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/c6io2ei07/)https://s21.postimg.org/qsvyoqrc3/HIBSv_SEPMULTI.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qsvyoqrc3/)

Fan dance(Poland) Huddle(America) Anthem(Liverpool) Strips(Hibernian) = Celtic popular like an STD but very rarely original.

cleanyman
16-06-2017, 09:30 AM
I love the idea.

Its a great bit of history plus it will spread the message that the Hibees are one of a kind.

Celtic would be seething

.Sean.
16-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Absolutely not. Its embarrassing enough some see us as some sort of mini-Celtic, nevermind wearing their hoops - I couldn't care less if they nicked them off us or not, the hoops are known as theirs so keep it that way.

I'd like to distance the club as far away from the notion we have some sort of affinity with that shower of ****bags as possible.

easty
16-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Yep, would be all for it. People are too scared what others think. We were first and we should be proud of it! Hopefully we see it at some point. I like that they're included subtle green hoops on the back of our new home top and a nice white trim around the bottom.

Who's scared of what others think? Can't see anyone saying that.

Hopefully this does happen. I for one love our irish heritage and our association with james connolly and the irish homerule movement. Our club's history is phenomenal. A wish the 'paranoid we'll be called celtic' brigade would embrace our club's heritage instead of trying to brush it under the carpet. Bring back the hoops all day long for me.

What's the significance of the hoops to our Irish heritage?

I would love to do it for an anniversary season.

A lot of people I meet don't know about our history and are very surprised when I tell them our role in the formation of other clubs, especially Celtic.

It would also put Celtics and their friends in the medias noses right out joint but the last thing they can say is that we are copying them. They wouldn't dare.

I sometimes feel our role in Scottish and therefore British football has been undermined by Certain other clubs. I'd have no problem with letting the world know about it while nudging the rest of Scottish football at the same time.

The world doesn't care.

It is a Celtc strip.

It'd be like Hearts fans singing Jason Cummings songs, cos they had him first.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-06-2017, 09:55 AM
Funny that OP CrazyHibby should mention this, because I was making up some larger versions of an original mock strip last week, and my overiding view when looking at the strip is just 'Celtic.
...as others have said, would we be commemorating history, educating the great unwashed, or is it simply an attempt at point scoring?
Here is a few of my variations.

https://s17.postimg.org/qiy1an5yz/HIBSv_W2.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qiy1an5yz/)https://s7.postimg.org/c6io2ei07/HIBSv_G.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/c6io2ei07/)https://s21.postimg.org/qsvyoqrc3/HIBSv_SEPMULTI.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/qsvyoqrc3/)

Fan dance(Poland) Huddle(America) Anthem(Liverpool) Strips(Hibernian) = Celtic popular like an STD but very rarely original.

Its quite common for clubs to go back into their history for strips to mark significant milestones.

I remember Man U with a green and yellow away top a while back.

I think if it was done to mark our 150th anniversay it would be worth considering, but personally i would prefer the old style bottle green long sleeve top with the big gold harp on the breast.

Maybe habe that as a home strip, and the hoops as an away strip.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Its quite common for clubs to go back into their history for strips to mark significant milestones.

I remember Man U with a green and yellow away top a while back.

I think if it was done to mark our 150th anniversay it would be worth considering, but personally i would prefer the old style bottle green long sleeve top with the big gold harp on the breast.

Maybe habe that as a home strip, and the hoops as an away strip.

Why hoops for a milestone anniversary? It wasn't our 1st strip. Using your 2nd strip to mark an anniversary would just be a bit daft surely?

drumatic44
16-06-2017, 10:04 AM
Allez les Vertes Originales !!

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-06-2017, 10:06 AM
Why hoops for a milestone anniversary? It wasn't our 1st strip. Using your 2nd strip to mark an anniversary would just be a bit daft surely?

I always thought it was our first strip for a while? If not thrn i stand corrected.

As i say, i prefer the all green, and i have a toffs replica of that i wear already.

Im not advocating for it, but equally i wouldnt dismiss it because of celtic, they shouldn't be considered either way. And i include those who only want to do it to wind them up - it shpuld be a decision made by us, about us amd for us.

WhileTheChief..
16-06-2017, 10:11 AM
Ask anyone who wears green and white hoops and they'll say Celtic.

In no way is it 'our strip' just cause we wore it 100 years ago. Crap idea.

Pretty Boy
16-06-2017, 10:17 AM
I always thought it was our first strip for a while? If not thrn i stand corrected.

As i say, i prefer the all green, and i have a toffs replica of that i wear already.

Im not advocating for it, but equally i wouldnt dismiss it because of celtic, they shouldn't be considered either way. And i include those who only want to do it to wind them up - it shpuld be a decision made by us, about us amd for us.
Our 1st kit was white top with a harp badge, white knickerbockers and green socks. Hoops followed for 3 years before solid dark green was used from 1879 to 1933, a white collar and lighter green was used for 5 years before white sleeves were added in 1938. We used black socks from 1915-1938, having used green previously. We used black knickerbockers in 1895-1896 and again in 1927-1929 and navy from 1889-1891.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Our 1st kit was white top with a harp badge, white knickerbockers and green socks. Hoops followed for 3 years before solid dark green was used from 1879 to 1933, a white collar and lighter green was used for 5 years before white sleeves were added in 1938. We used black socks from 1915-1938, having used green previously. We used black knickerbockers in 1895-1896 and again in 1927-1929 and navy from 1889-1891.

Im not even sure what knickerbockers are, but they should definitely be included in the retro strip.

All white with a big gold harp would look ace too. Im open minded, i just wouldnt want the decision to be affected by Celtic, either way.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2017, 11:51 AM
Celtc lifted the hoops of Hibs. History shows we were first to wear them.
Not that bothered about hoops though, we've always been a strictly alphabety spaghetti family.☺

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

lord bunberry
16-06-2017, 11:51 AM
If the hoops weren't our first ever strip then it's a no from me. 2025 should see us bring out a replica of our first ever strip, whatever that was.

allezsauzee
16-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Green white and gold hoops.Maybe should do it in 8 years time to mark our 150th birthday.

I like the idea of this. Think it would be quite snazzy

MyJo
16-06-2017, 12:00 PM
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
16-06-2017, 12:03 PM
If the hoops weren't our first ever strip then it's a no from me. 2025 should see us bring out a replica of our first ever strip, whatever that was.

Agree with this!

mcohibs
16-06-2017, 12:15 PM
Absolutely not. Celtic have made that kit their own and I'd rather distance ourselves from anything that, rightly or wrongly, links us with that mob. We have one of the iconic kits in Scottish football and I'd rather keep it that way.

Also don't understand why some people are tying the hoops in with giving us more of an Irish identity. Less green on it and no harp... am I missing something?

mcohibs
16-06-2017, 12:38 PM
Plot twist - Celtic get word of this cunning scheme and bring out a green with white sleeve kit next season to 'put us in our place'.

Just Alf
16-06-2017, 02:59 PM
Plot twist - Celtic get word of this cunning scheme and bring out a green with white sleeve kit next season to 'put us in our place'.
Confirmed!.... ALWAYS 2nd to wear green.... The lesser greens right enough :greengrin:

RossScott1991
16-06-2017, 03:01 PM
It's a kit that's been made their own by celtic. I'd rather we do the very first strip if we were to do something like this.

Steve-O
16-06-2017, 03:14 PM
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/hibernian.htm

They should just make a retro (cotton) version of that plain white one for the 150 year centenary.

emerald green
16-06-2017, 03:53 PM
It's a crazy idea. Hibs haven't worn hoops in anyone's lifetime. Hooped shirts are not associated with Hibs, but they are with Glasgow Celtic, whether people like it or not.

Why mess around with our iconic green shirts with white sleeves?

marinello59
16-06-2017, 04:02 PM
It's a crazy idea. Hibs haven't worn hoops in anyone's lifetime. Hooped shirts are not associated with Hibs, but they are with Glasgow Celtic, whether people like it or not.

Why mess around with our iconic green shirts with white sleeves?

Agreed. Leave the Hoops in the past, our shirts evolved in to something perfect.

emerald green
16-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Agreed. Leave the Hoops in the past, our shirts evolved in to something perfect.

:agree: :aok:

1van Sprou7e
16-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Never realised we wore a plain white jersey to start off with.

In this case I agree that we should leave the hoops alone, should bring out a classic looking white away/third kit in 2025 though

Johnny Clash
16-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Let's face it we've tried loads of different designs over the years: white, purple, black, yellow, mint, green & purple stripes, dayglo yellow, green with white& green stripes on sleeves. I've even got a poster of our game against Dundee Hibernian when Tannadice was opened. Dundee Hibs player in green top with the Hibs player in black and white hoops! I think our tops that day were borrowed from Leith Athletic to avoid a colour clash?

Many teams have opted for strips from their past - I mind Millwall did that recently by wearing navy blue strips as a nod to their Scottish past.

So I think replicating our strip of 1876 with dark green and white hoops is a good idea. Who cares if that makes Celtc feel uneasy!!!

Mr White
16-06-2017, 05:12 PM
Let's face it we've tried loads of different designs over the years: white, purple, black, yellow, mint, green & purple stripes, dayglo yellow, green with white& green stripes on sleeves. I've even got a poster of our game against Dundee Hibernian when Tannadice was opened. Dundee Hibs player in green top with the Hibs player in black and white hoops! I think our tops that day were borrowed from Leith Athletic to avoid a colour clash?

Many teams have opted for strips from their past - I mind Millwall did that recently by wearing navy blue strips as a nod to their Scottish past.

So I think replicating our strip of 1876 with dark green and white hoops is a good idea. Who cares if that makes Celtc feel uneasy!!!

That's a quality poster!

Keith_M
16-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Gie's Peace.

GreenLake
16-06-2017, 05:23 PM
The team should wear a green and white hooped authentic retro jersey. Remind the world who was first and celebrate as the originals.

A purple and white hooped away jersey would be cool too.

Keith_M
16-06-2017, 05:35 PM
The team should wear a green and white hooped authentic retro jersey. Remind the world who was first and celebrate as the originals.

A purple and white hooped away jersey would be cool too.

As stated numerous times on here already, our first strip was a white shirt, with a large harp and green and white trousers (knickerbockers) and green socks. The hoops were the second strip Hibs wore, and that was only for three seasons.

Hibs First Kit
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/images/hibernian-1875-b.gif

heidtheba
16-06-2017, 06:04 PM
If the hoops had been our first strip then I'd have gone for that in the anniversary year...however, it isn't and therefore it doesn't have a relevance really.
Interestingly this thread did make me consider something. I've always associated Celtic with Ireland but Hibs makes me think of Irish immigrants in Edinburgh. Given our team's reasons for being, and the sectarian issues they faced at the start, having an anniversary top as a discussion point for immigration and issues faced by immigrants is so relevant.

jgl07
16-06-2017, 06:11 PM
How about the Adidas tennis top that should soon be appearing at Wimbledon.

Hibs ought to be after a royalty for that one.

http://www.adidas.co.uk/roland-garros-tee/BJ8267.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_PLA_Google-_-GS-OPT-UK-Categories-Branded-_-BRANDED+-+Tennis-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&cm_mmca1=UK&cm_mmca2=&71700000021396387&ds_agid=58700002199430182&gclid=CIPQx4j7wtQCFZAW0wodm8EClQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJOV1Ij7wtQCFSakUQodqwcOMw

Kato
16-06-2017, 06:15 PM
It's a kit that's been made their own by celtic. I'd rather we do the very first strip if we were to do something like this.

Good point those who have said this. We could have hoops as the second team strip the same season.

This could well be the new "harp debate" subject, and look what happened when that was resolved. 8 years of discussion this to go.

lord bunberry
16-06-2017, 06:24 PM

http://www.adidas.co.uk/roland-garros-tee/BJ8267.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_PLA_Google-_-GS-OPT-UK-Categories-Branded-_-BRANDED+-+Tennis-_-PRODUCT+GROUP&cm_mmca1=UK&cm_mmca2=&71700000021396387&ds_agid=58700002199430182&gclid=CIPQx4j7wtQCFZAW0wodm8EClQ&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CJOV1Ij7wtQCFSakUQodqwcOMw
That won't be seen at Wimbledon that's for sure.

Dashing Bob S
16-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Who's scared of what others think? Can't see anyone saying that.

What's the significance of the hoops to our Irish heritage?

The world doesn't care.

It is a Celtc strip.

It'd be like Hearts fans singing Jason Cummings songs, cos they had him first.

No it wouldn't.

Golden Bear
16-06-2017, 06:25 PM

Absolutely correct.

GreenLake
16-06-2017, 06:50 PM
As stated numerous times on here already, our first strip was a white shirt, with a large harp and green and white trousers (knickerbockers) and green socks. The hoops were the second strip Hibs wore, and that was only for three seasons.
Hibs First Kit
http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Hibernian/images/hibernian-1875-b.gif

We have had all white away jerseys which could be seen as retro versions of the first kit. What possible objection could anyone have to wearing a retro version of our second historical strip? If our second strip had hoops before Celtic existed then why can't we wear a throwback version? No permissio n is required for originals.

We like white away shirts. We like purple away shirts. Why can't we like green hooped home shirts that we were the first to wear?

Your argument is weird and sounds very soap dodgerish.

Bostonhibby
16-06-2017, 06:58 PM
It's CELTC. No I.

One of the very few authentic identifications they have. Lifted off no one. And wrote themslfz.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

superfurryhibby
16-06-2017, 06:59 PM

Hibs First Kit

If we are commemorating an anniversary a version of the first strip, with the badge and no sponsorship, would be a very big seller. If the hoops were our original colours then IŽd be all for it as a second strip. If not then **** that.

Sir David Gray
16-06-2017, 07:42 PM

Wimbledon only allows players to wear all white attire so that won't be making an appearance there any time soon.

easty
16-06-2017, 07:53 PM
No it wouldn't.

Aye it would

Lancs Harp
16-06-2017, 08:15 PM
Bring back the knickerbockers I say. I'd like to see us replace the crossbars at Easter Road with rope and remove the penalty areas, keepers can handle the ball anywhere in their own half of the pitch and the referee can "umpire" the game from a high chair at the side of the pitch. Lets do this 1875 thing properly.:wink:

On the subject of Hoops I have a constant job trying to expalin to demicks down here that we arent diet celtic, I could do without us trying to dress like them thank you and as has been stated numerous times already it wasnt our first strip anyway.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Bring back the knickerbockers I say. I'd like to see us replace the crossbars at Easter Road with rope and remove the penalty areas, keepers can handle the ball anywhere in their own half of the pitch and the referee can "umpire" the game from a high chair at the side of the pitch. Lets do this 1875 thing properly.:wink:

On the subject of Hoops I have a constant job trying to expalin to demicks down here that we arent diet celtic, I could do without us trying to dress like them thank you and as has been stated numerous times already it wasnt our first strip anyway.

Better change your username.

snooky
16-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Wimbledon only allows players to wear all white attire so that won't be making an appearance there any time soon.
Well, surely they could just wear the away top? :cool2:

Lancs Harp
16-06-2017, 08:48 PM
Better change your username.

Im sorry but Yorkshire Harp is simply out of the question.

Eyrie
16-06-2017, 10:09 PM
If we use a hooped kit as a homage to our early days, it will be perceived as a "Celtc" strip by anyone who sees it. There is no chance of the media promoting the fact that it was our kit before Celtc stole it like everything else.

Remember the stushie when we used that godawful green t-shirt a couple of years ago because it was a departure from our own iconic kit?

Although I do like the idea of an 1875-style white strip for 2025, preferably as the away kit.

Andy74
16-06-2017, 10:12 PM
No one is asking whether we should wear a Celtic kit or not.

The question was whether we would go back to one of our own historic kits.

I don't see why not.

Sir David Gray
16-06-2017, 10:16 PM
If it had been our very first kit then I would have been all for it in our 150th season, even if the hoops are now solely associated with Celtic.

However this wasn't our very first kit so I don't think it should happen.

If we are going to commemorate our beginnings then we should wear our very first top in the 2025 season. I would be quite happy with that.

GreenLake
17-06-2017, 01:56 PM
If it had been our very first kit then I would have been all for it in our 150th season, even if the hoops are now solely associated with Celtic.

If we are going to commemorate our beginnings then we should wear our very first top in the 2025 season. I would be quite happy with that.

I don't think anybody wants to wear hoops all the time but we shouldn't become hoop deniers.

Macron need to be on this. It's a no brainer.

We will have the hacks writing in a rage about "hoopgate". :greengrin

It is real history, we are "The Originals", we are still here and we are back.

Keith_M
17-06-2017, 02:10 PM
We have had all white away jerseys which could be seen as retro versions of the first kit. What possible objection could anyone have to wearing a retro version of our second historical strip? If our second strip had hoops before Celtic existed then why can't we wear a throwback version? No permissio n is required for originals.

We like white away shirts. We like purple away shirts. Why can't we like green hooped home shirts that we were the first to wear?

Your argument is weird and sounds very soap dodgerish.

:faf:

GreenLake
17-06-2017, 06:27 PM
:faf:

I am not accusing you of being a soap dodger, just that you are a useful helper. :greengrin

penihibs
17-06-2017, 08:07 PM

Maybe your are.I might be deed then!
Always said like many I'll die a happy man if we win the holy grail !!
New target now,win it in the hoops..

MichaelTheCelt
17-06-2017, 09:26 PM

Hmm think you'd probably find the complete opposite actually. I'll throw my two bob's worth in though I suppose not many of you's will care much for what I have to say.

There would be no seethe from my anyway, the hoops were Hibs' original kit design, ours was a white top with a green collar black shorts and and green and black hooped socks, I was desperate for us to break the Hoops design for our 125th anniversary season and go with the original kit instead it was a third kit and a rubbish badge bugger all like the original badge.

It would be a pretty bold move for Hibs to go for a hooped kit and you's should, would be pretty cracking actuallY. I like when teams resurrect original kits, would be even cooler if you's did bring it back and ditched the badge for that home kit and go with the HFC across the chest.

I think you'd be surprised in knowing how many Celtic fans know the history of Hibs and how it relates to ours. I've always had immense respect for Hibernian Football Club, only team in Scotland I can stomach seeing lifting a trophy. And I know my pals who are Celtic fans think the same way, though from browsing this board I think that respect goes only one way but a forum isn't a worthy barometer anyway.

Regardless of who wore what first and who copied who I could careless, kind of petty that patter. Bringing the hoops back would be awesome, but you've mad that current kit design yours and Hibs home kits are always crackers anyway.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2017, 09:33 PM
Hmm think you'd probably find the complete opposite actually. I'll throw my two bob's worth in though I suppose not many of you's will care much for what I have to say.

There would be no seethe from my anyway, the hoops were Hibs' original kit design, ours was a white top with a green collar black shorts and and green and black hooped socks, I was desperate for us to break the Hoops design for our 125th anniversary season and go with the original kit instead it was a third kit and a rubbish badge bugger all like the original badge.

It would be a pretty bold move for Hibs to go for a hooped kit and you's should, would be pretty cracking actuallY. I like when teams resurrect original kits, would be even cooler if you's did bring it back and ditched the badge for that home kit and go with the HFC across the chest.

I think you'd be surprised in knowing how many Celtic fans know the history of Hibs and how it relates to ours. I've always had immense respect for Hibernian Football Club, only team in Scotland I can stomach seeing lifting a trophy. And I know my pals who are Celtic fans think the same way, though from browsing this board I think that respect goes only one way but a forum isn't a worthy barometer anyway.

Regardless of who wore what first and who copied who I could careless, kind of petty that patter. Bringing the hoops back would be awesome, but you've mad that current kit design yours and Hibs home kits are always crackers anyway.

For what its worth mate, i always like it when (reasonable) fans of other teams post here - i like talking fitba with other club supporters, and to paraphrase the bard, its important to see ourselves as others see us.

I know not everyone welcomes it, amd i know especially not when it is an old firm fan, but regardless i generally enjoy your posts and hope you keep contributing.

Ps im not against us having a hooped shirt, but i think resurrecting our first top - which apparently was white with a large gold harp, would look the business and be more historically accurate. However, a hooped effort with hfc across the front instead of a sponsor would be the business too.

Im more concerned with having the large, gold harp front and centre where it should be, personally.

MichaelTheCelt
17-06-2017, 09:38 PM
For what its worth mate, i always like it when (reasonable) fans of other teams post here - i like talking fitba with other club supporters, and to paraphrase the bard, its important to see ourselves as others see us.

I know not everyone welcomes it, amd i know especially not when it is an old firm fan, but regardless i generally enjoy your posts and hope you keep contributing.

Ps im not against us having a hooped shirt, but i think resurrecting our first top - which apparently was white with a large gold harp, would look the business and be more historically accurate. However, a hooped effort with hfc across the front instead of a sponsor would be the business too.

Im more concerned with having the large, gold harp front and centre where it should be, personally.

Well I sure do appreciate that bud! It's only a game of fitbaw at the end of the day, no reason to be at each others throats cause we support different teams.

RE the kit:

I always thought the Hoops WAS your first kit didn't know it was a white yin.

lord bunberry
17-06-2017, 09:39 PM

I would agree with you on that if the hoops had been our first top, but it wasn't. Any attempt to bring back the hoops would be a game of oneupmanship and that's not what our 150 year anniversary should be about.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Well I sure do appreciate that bud! It's only a game of fitbaw at the end of the day, no reason to be at each others throats cause we support different teams.

RE the kit:

So did i until this thread, apparently it was actually our second. I hadnt realised either.

Also i never got the impression that celtic stole them, more that we werent using them anymore, so celtic adopted them. Given how cordial relations were between the clubs for years / decades even afterwards, i think the idea they were stolen from us is a bit of a myth.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2017, 09:46 PM
I would agree with you on that if the hoops had been our first top, but it wasn't. Any attempt to bring back the hoops would be a game of oneupmanship and that's not what our 150 year anniversary should be about.

Agree with this, celtic shouldnt come into fhe decision either way, if it is about celebrating our first top, then that shouls be that.

MichaelTheCelt
17-06-2017, 09:54 PM
So did i until this thread, apparently it was actually our second. I hadnt realised either.

Also i never got the impression that celtic stole them, more that we werent using them anymore, so celtic adopted them. Given how cordial relations were between the clubs for years / decades even afterwards, i think the idea they were stolen from us is a bit of a myth.

I've always wondered about the reverse Hibs home kit (white body green sleeves) we had as an away kit from 55 through to 64, if it was some sort of homage to our early years and the link with Hibernian. Never have found out any information regarding it but I just assume that my thoughts regarding it are most likely.

GreenLake
17-06-2017, 11:32 PM

RE the kit:

I knew it was Leeds United all along!

Johnny Clash
18-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Maybe a solution would be to make the 'Hibs Hoops' top available in the Hibs shop - like we did recently with a reissue of the Skol Cup winning adidas top?

That way those who are happy to wear a replica of our strip of 1876 can do so just like those who fancied buying a reissue of the 1991 top.

We'll soon see how popular they become...

Johnny Clash
18-06-2017, 11:18 AM
Was piashed in Brixton late last night and a similarly chilled Italian dude pointed to my sweaty Hibs training top and said 'Hoops?' Then showed me his St. Pauli tattoo. I said 'Hibs mate - original Hoops!' Gotta educate the masses! :flag: