PDA

View Full Version : Where did you stand when you first started going to Easter Road?

Hibrandenburg
14-06-2017, 09:56 PM
I used to stand directly under the camera scaffolding in the old East. I can remember the stadium being about 80% empty and most of the fans gathering there to try and assemble some kind of atmosphere. Jean jackets and green or white builders helmets were the attire of the day. I can also remember getting through the turnstiles and looking up at this momentous cliff face in front of you to get into the stadium, I was quite wee at the time mind you.

Mainstandman
14-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Right under the old tv camera bit in the east

iwasthere1972
14-06-2017, 10:06 PM
Everywhere except the main stand. The days before segregation and it was the norm to change ends at half time passing the away support enroute. Stood in the coo shed for the visits of Liverpool and Leeds Utd in the late sixties/early seventies and remember being in the east terracing when we thumped Napoli 5-0.

Eyrie
14-06-2017, 10:08 PM
I was always in the old North Stand, so I sat rather than stood.

brianmc
14-06-2017, 10:21 PM
As a bairn I remember running about the BIG terrace and also being on the benches behind the goal when George Best played (against Partick I think?).
But as a regular attendee from teen years onwards:
Covered East Terrace, half way line, mid stand, under the TV platform
Seated East Terrace, half way line, mid stand, under the TV platform
New East Stand, half way line, very back row, in front of the TV platform..
#creatureofhabit.

14-06-2017, 10:25 PM
The “family enclosure” in the old main stand.

Wakeyhibee
14-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Main stand with my brother and old man. Top of east terrace was my first experience v Raith Rovers 81, the seated cave when the east was reduced, them back to the east when covered

malcky
14-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Right under the old tv camera bit in the east

Sat on the wall of the top terracing on the halfway line

The Pointer
14-06-2017, 10:41 PM
There was a single stanchion low down on the gangway almost in line with the penalty area at the bottom end where my mates and I used to gather. We'd then move into the cave or up the other end depending who we were playing or what was happening. We all went to different schools but a few were from Clerrie, some from Barnton while I lived in Buckstone.

Someone organised a bus for the 1972 League Cup Final which we boarded at Blackhall. The oldest would be about 20 and amongst our number was a very famous swimmer. Windows got tanned by the soapies after the game but that was de rigeur in those days.

Only time I can remember standing for a game on the top tier was against Leeds Utd. as I couldn't get close to our regular haunt because of the numbers.

I remember going past a Hun (RIP) on the terracing once who opened his coat to reveal bottles of vodka and whisky in wee pockets on one side with glasses in pockets on the other.

southsider
14-06-2017, 10:43 PM
Lift over then stood on bottom row what I know now was called Shaw's Heights. Best view in any stadium I have over known. The green pitch, the slope and the green jerseys. The Colour o' the grass.

hibby6270
14-06-2017, 10:46 PM
Front of the Top tier of the old East terracing next to stairway 5. Great view from there because there was approx 10 foot drop down to a passageway that ran from Dunbar end right round to the old covered terracing behind the Albion Road end goals. No big guys in the way, so when me and my pal (about 7 or 8 year old at the time) stood there, it was the perfect place to get a good view of games. About in line with 18 yard line iirc.

CraigHibee
14-06-2017, 10:46 PM
In the cow shed when I was small, when I got a little older I went over to the east

bill_reed
14-06-2017, 11:00 PM
my first game was Real Madrid and Peter Cormack's two goals. was at the half way line but after that behind the goals and we'd change ends at half time... that was what a lot of us did back then....

The Harp
14-06-2017, 11:31 PM
Started going regularly in mid 50s. Used to stand at the front of the section which was added to the east terracing, making it huge. No terracing cover at all at ER in those days.

lord bunberry
15-06-2017, 12:50 AM
When I first went with my dad we used to stand in line with the 18 yard line (down the slope end)in the east, it was uncovered then. When I started going with my mates the roof had been put on and we stood around the halfway line.

SanFranHibs
15-06-2017, 01:09 AM
In the old cow shed behind the goals. My friend and, young lads, singing our voices hoarse.

I could hardly wait for the next game. Don't think I've ever been that happy since :greengrin

cocteautwin
15-06-2017, 05:51 AM
When I first started going with my dad (when I was about 5 or 6) I recall standing in the area at the front of the main stand in front of whichever goal Hibs were shooting in to and we'd then walk to the other end at half time. When my dad stopped going I used to go with a few others from my street and one of their dads and we sat in the cow shed on the wooden benches. When I got old enough to start going with just some mates (maybe around 12 or 13?) we started going in to the main terracing on what is now the East stand. Like a previous poster I use to stare in awe when you came through the turnstiles and look at the big hill you had to go over to get to the terracing. As kids we all used to stand at the front waiting for the guy coming round the perimeter selling the square kia-ora cups, wagon wheels and packs of Wrigleys.

Pedantic_Hibee
15-06-2017, 05:55 AM
Cowshed away up the back with my old man circa late 80s.

Perfect view of big Dave Beaumont lashing in a 2 yarder against Anderlecht!

overdrive
15-06-2017, 06:02 AM
At the very front of the corner of East Terracing where it met with the Cow Shed. I'd go with my dad, his mates and their kids. The adults would stand further back and the kids would be down the front.

Then moved to the back of the Cow Shed when we got season tickets.

eastcoasthibby
15-06-2017, 06:18 AM
About 18 yard line down the slope just below the back if the.lower part of the old big east terrace...

Dalianwanda
15-06-2017, 06:36 AM
Used to run around the east as there was plenty of space for a nipper to roam :-) From memory would have been half way up the east towards cow she'd end.

CentreLine
15-06-2017, 06:47 AM
There is a reason I call myself CentreLine. When my brother and I first went to ER we always stood at the very front of the east terrace on the centre line. Our older cousin, who was the big Hibee who got us hooked, stood a couple of steps behind. It always seemed to sunshine on Leith in the 60s and the players looked like Colossuses from that low pitch side position

Viva_Palmeiras
15-06-2017, 06:53 AM
East Row T to the right of the half way line. When they put the bucket seats in it equated to about seat 167.
Always stood there until Anderlecht/Liege game when the crowds were so massive we had to spill into the South.
Stood there for years got in early got in good position then in later years 6'2"+ blokes would come and stand right in front 5 mins to go. To make matters worse they wore caps. Cheers guys ;)

Roxyhibee
15-06-2017, 06:57 AM
Although I was first taken along as a 4 year old, I didn't start going regular until I was 6 in 1965/66.

My dad and I always used to get in early (I'm guessing 2:30ish, I just remember the terraces being pretty empty) and stand at the front of the raised East with the walkway below. There was a raised wall bit from the toilets below and he used to get my left shoulder against that for a bit of shelter.

Smartie
15-06-2017, 07:07 AM
There is a reason I call myself CentreLine. When my brother and I first went to ER we always stood at the very front of the east terrace on the centre line. Our older cousin, who was the big Hibee who got us hooked, stood a couple of steps behind. It always seemed to sunshine on Leith in the 60s and the players looked like Colossuses from that low pitch side position

When I started to go every week it was just after they'd put the bucket seats in, and that was the area that we young teenagers headed for.

The main reason was that you had a decent chance of getting a touch of the ball when Jim Leighton hooked his goal kicks out of play.

alhibby
15-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Early 60s for me, we all met at No 9 at the Dunbar end, there for a few years until the coo shed was built and that became the new home

Forza Fred
15-06-2017, 07:15 AM
When I first started going It was behind the goals.

At half time it was a case of changing ends.

Used to be interesting when we met the Hearts support coming the other way.......

The Cowshed was a favourite, before in my last year before emigrating it was the North Enclosure.

Scouse Hibee
15-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Sat in the old North Stand.

Tom Hart RIP
15-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Front of the Top tier of the old East terracing next to stairway 5. Great view from there because there was approx 10 foot drop down to a passageway that ran from Dunbar end right round to the old covered terracing behind the Albion Road end goals. No big guys in the way, so when me and my pal (about 7 or 8 year old at the time) stood there, it was the perfect place to get a good view of games. About in line with 18 yard line iirc.

Me too. Best view I've ever had. Used to get in about 1pm to make sure of my spot.

InchHibby
15-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Me and and my three mates used to climb over the big sliding gate at the back of the old cow shed about half ten on the Saturday morning and hide in the toilets until the gates opened. We'd be about seven or eight year old.
Then it was down to the front of the cow shed to get a space at the wall.
Don't think they had actually built the cow shed then as I can't really remember when that came.

mim
15-06-2017, 07:55 AM
About 18 yard line down the slope just below the back if the.lower part of the old big east terrace...

This, except for really busy games, when it was the very front of Shaws Heights (had to get there early) :flag:

Hibrandenburg
15-06-2017, 08:11 AM

My old man and his cronies stood directly opposite you in the old standing enclosure. Probably because it was the nearest point in the stadium to the Hibs Club.

baker1959
15-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Someone organised a bus for the 1972 League Cup Final which we boarded at Blackhall. The oldest would be about 20 and amongst our number was a very famous swimmer. Windows got tanned by the soapies after the game but that was de rigeur in those days.

Would that have been David Wilkie?

J-C
15-06-2017, 10:38 AM
My 1st season on my own my dad bought me a season ticket in the main near the directors seats, I'd be around 9-10, when I went to secondary school I started going to the east with all my mates, been there ever since.

Keith_M
15-06-2017, 10:48 AM
I used to stand directly under the camera scaffolding in the old East..

Snap.

Right next to the 'fence' (it was actually scaffolding poles) that separated the home fans from the away end.... well that and about a 40 yard gap.

Actually, I'm in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPNeIcdmpk), somewhere :wink:

Allant1981
15-06-2017, 10:51 AM
row M in the east, right under the tv gantry, then had my season ticket there, you used to get to go in to the stand and pick your seat then

Diclonius
15-06-2017, 11:19 AM
My first season ticket was a half-season in the south, 2007-08. That was the year Collins spent a good chuck of the Thomson/Brown money on *****. Good few games though.

lyonhibs
15-06-2017, 11:34 AM
Initially the cowshed then the old West at the North End. Lower or upper varied, but predominantly lower IIRC. Near where someone always started a "Hibbees" chant from the upper tier by hammering on either the advertising or the metal back of the stand.

Then across to the old East mainly, a couple of sections (ish) along from S43 towards the North stand.

Happy days.

CockneyRebel
15-06-2017, 11:35 AM
First used the standing enclosure in front of the old main stand with my brother in laws in the early 80s then later on I used to lift my laddie over and stand at the front of the old East stand and change ends at half time. Now sit my old tired erchie in the upper West.

lord bunberry
15-06-2017, 11:54 AM
row M in the east, right under the tv gantry, then had my season ticket there, you used to get to go in to the stand and pick your seat then
I remember that. I was working nightshift at the time and me and my mate went for a couple of pints after work. A couple turned into a bit of a session and around lunchtime we decided to head up and buy season tickets. The girl in the ticket office handed us a map of the stadium and sent us over to the old east. By the time we got there we couldn't make any sense of the map and ended up picking seats nowhere near where we wanted to be. Our seats were under the gantry, but you had to duck down to see the goal at the FF end and lean to right to see the other goal. :greengrin

Biggie
15-06-2017, 11:57 AM
I used to stand at the front of the upper section of the east (there was a walkway that kind of split it in two)....used to get a great view..

penihibs
15-06-2017, 12:01 PM
In the old cow shed behind the goals. My friend and, young lads, singing our voices hoarse.

I could hardly wait for the next game. Don't think I've ever been that happy since :greengrin

Yeah me too, big squad of us from the southside would all meet up and head for the shed,great times as Turnbull's tornados just around the corner, great away days then aswell.
Was always interesting when split down the middle at games, bloody battlefield.
Then moved out shed to the corner under the floodlights when we grew up ???

hibbie02
15-06-2017, 12:03 PM
When I first went as a wee yin, I used to get taken to the vast East Terracing opposite the tunnel.

When I used to go with my mates in the late 70s and early 80s we always went to the North Enclosure at the front of the West Stand. The place was full of "characters"...

FilipinoHibs
15-06-2017, 12:14 PM
Top of the East in 1970 for League Cup quater final vs the Huns. Stood and sat there every since - at times slightly lower.

Hibrandenburg
15-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Snap.

Right next to the 'fence' (it was actually scaffolding poles) that separated the home fans from the away end.... well that and about a 40 yard gap.

Actually, I'm in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cPNeIcdmpk), somewhere :wink:

I'm talking about the days when the east went up above the clouds. The tv cameras and commentators literally sat on some wooden planks supported by scaffolding in the middle of the terrace. :greengrin

Keith_M
15-06-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm talking about the days when the east went up above the clouds. The tv cameras and commentators literally sat on some wooden planks supported by scaffolding in the middle of the terrace. :greengrin

Ah know ye are, Auld Yin

:greengrin

hibernian36
15-06-2017, 03:29 PM
The old cow shed behind the goals. Seemed like a mountain climbing those steps from the turnstiles as a wee lad and the climb back down to go for a pee in those horrendous toilets that smelt like Tynecastle on a good day will live with me forever. Remember in the later years they put an electric scoreboard on the roof and having to almost go onto the pitch after games to see the full time scores

happiehibbie
15-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Dunbar End

Keith_M
15-06-2017, 03:59 PM
dunbar end

ltyf

CropleyWasGod
15-06-2017, 04:04 PM
ltyf

TBF, I used to stand at that end as well when I was wee. My dad took me there, to get away from the crowds.

Keith_M
15-06-2017, 04:08 PM
TBF, I used to stand at that end as well when I was wee. My dad took me there, to get away from the crowds.

I just stood in the home end, just as effective

:wink:

CropleyWasGod
15-06-2017, 04:10 PM
I just stood in the home end, just as effective

:wink:

You're clearly a lot younger than me, then. :greengrin

Keith_M
15-06-2017, 04:18 PM
You're clearly a lot younger than me, then. :greengrin

Clearly

:greengrin

Docc109
15-06-2017, 04:24 PM
Sat on the wall of the top terracing on the halfway lineAlso my first recollection, sitting on the wall above the walkway and some old drunk guy trying to bite ma feet. 😂

Nakedmanoncrack
15-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Centre stand for 1st games, then North enclosure, before migrating over to East Terrace when roof went on, back to West lower when new stand built, ST in FF for first time next season.

Billy Whizz
15-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Corner of East/North

Hibrandenburg
15-06-2017, 05:26 PM
Also my first recollection, sitting on the wall above the walkway and some old drunk guy trying to bite ma feet. 😂

Some things never change.

superfurryhibby
15-06-2017, 06:25 PM
Me and and my three mates used to climb over the big sliding gate at the back of the old cow shed about half ten on the Saturday morning and hide in the toilets until the gates opened. We'd be about seven or eight year old.
Then it was down to the front of the cow shed to get a space at the wall.
Don't think they had actually built the cow shed then as I can't really remember when that came.

At last, someone who admits to climbing in to Easter Road! I made a career of it until I got to 16-17 and realised the time had arrived where I needed to produce the cash. Most of the 70's were spent going over the wall or up the side of the big gates

First started going c1971. My dad, grandad and uncle all met up in the Dunbar End and we moved around the ground at half time. Except tha the auld man didnae take me to the big games, v the Hearts or Old Firm. Moved to Elbe St, Leith aged eight, started going without him!

Rarely ever in the old main stand or north stand/enclosure. Felt strange and a bit exotic when I ever went there for a big game ( 6-2 game v Hearts stands out)

glenn6270
15-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Under the scaffolding of the tv stand

Topographic Hibby
15-06-2017, 06:50 PM
At last, someone who admits to climbing in to Easter Road! I made a career of it until I got to 16-17 and realised the time had arrived where I needed to produce the cash. Most of the 70's were spent going over the wall or up the side of the big gates.
Friend of mine tells a great story of climbing in around late 79 or early 80.

He was a decent footballer and played youth football Saturday mornings, going to ER after his game. Once his game finished late and he arrived outside around 3.30-ish. Finding a quiet corner, he started to climb in, only to meet a Hibby in full green and white climbing out!! Hibs were getting beat off Partick Thistle and the guy had had enough!!

Criswell
15-06-2017, 10:20 PM
I was definitely a "Caveman" grunt grunt!!

wearehibernian
15-06-2017, 10:50 PM
Alongside the Punks and Skins under the Tv scaffold. Circa 1982. 'Archie, Archie give us a wave', that was on a good day, ha ha!

Ray_
16-06-2017, 06:28 AM
Top of the East in 1970 for League Cup quater final vs the Huns. Stood and sat there every since - at times slightly lower.

Urg, 1-3 in both legs. We done so well beating the reigning Scottish Cup champions, ET's Aberdeen, 4-0 in the final section game, before getting the huns in the quarter final. I remember Arthur Duncan had been bundled in to the hoarding in a league game close to the hun game. As Nijinsky was "on fire" [before the phrase was coined] at the time, Hibs kept the the extent of the injury under wraps. Remember Graham Fyfe & Billy Johnson ripping us a new one and I'm sure Fyfe scored a couple of times, shame he never repeated that sort of form when he ended up at ER.

Now back on track, Cowshed for me to answer the question ::greengrin

16-06-2017, 06:55 AM
In the 60's up the top in the East with my dad. That's where I saw Joe scoring his nine goals. A flask of soup for half time. Then with my mates in the coo shed ducking cans, bottles,golf balls etc.

Steve-O
16-06-2017, 07:16 AM
Got taken when I was 2, so not actually sure, but my first memories around 1988 are of a season ticket in the family enclosure - now the West Lower (north end).

Moved into the cowshed for a few years after that, then over to the East mostly. Had 1-2 seasons back in West when new stand was built and there was a student price section.

therealgavmac
16-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Lift over then stood on bottom row what I know now was called Shaw's Heights. Best view in any stadium I have over known. The green pitch, the slope and the green jerseys. The Colour o' the grass.

This :thumbsup:

Hillsidehibby
16-06-2017, 07:55 AM
I used to sit on the barrier under the half time scoreboard until I was big enough to go in the cave.

GreenT
16-06-2017, 03:57 PM
North stand enclosure. Could smell the wintergreen as players ran down the wing

.Sean.
16-06-2017, 11:12 PM
Love hearing the stories from the guys who've been going since the 60s and 70s etc. Have trawled and trawled google for good photos of the stadium and surrounding streets numerous times but they're almost non existent. I take it the scale model of the 50s stadium is about as accurate representation as possible, with the steps behind the east etc?

heretoday
16-06-2017, 11:52 PM

There were some wags in there. And I'm not talking burrds.

NOLA
17-06-2017, 07:24 AM
In the cow shed next to the floodlight stanchion so I'd get a good look at the queue forming at the pie hut [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One Day
17-06-2017, 08:07 AM
I've had season tickets for the old terracing, the standing enclosure, the seated enclosure, (cow shed) and now the famous five lower

Fuzzywuzzy
17-06-2017, 08:21 AM
I was about six. St mirren game with my papa. First game on my own was against Celtic when they chucked the tear gas in our end. I was further along the east so luckily never caught any of it.

bigwheel
17-06-2017, 08:23 AM

That smell....on floodlit night games....as I walked up the huge stairs to the top of the old terracing...that is my childhood memory of Easter Road. I can almost still smell it as I write this. The excitement as you got to the top and your heroes were out warming up. Heaven!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Keith_M
17-06-2017, 08:43 AM
Love hearing the stories from the guys who've been going since the 60s and 70s etc. Have trawled and trawled google for good photos of the stadium and surrounding streets numerous times but they're almost non existent. I take it the scale model of the 50s stadium is about as accurate representation as possible, with the steps behind the east etc?

I first went in 1979 and the only difference was the roof over the North Terrace, plus the segregation fences, so it is quite accurate, yeah.

Peevemor
17-06-2017, 09:51 PM
My first match was on the old East terracing. I still remember how overwhelmed I was by the seemingly never ending stairs up the back and then the sight of the stadium on arriving at the top.

When I started going regularly (1st division under Bertie Auld) I went to the terracing not far from the dodgy TV camera gantry (which once blew over in the wind one Friday night damaging thousands in equipment that the BBC had set up). The singing section at the time was the skinhead crew who assembled in the same area. Normally we'd move in line with the edge of the 18yd box for the 2nd half as we'd invariably be shooting down the slope.

After a few seasons we were sick of getting soaked on the still uncovered terracing so we moved across to the North enclosure. I remember some matches where it was seriously over capacity.

Once the East was reduced and covered we moved back across. Some of my best memories of ER, certainly in terms of atmosphere, are from that period. The seats ruined it.

I then decided that if I had to sit at matches then I preferred a decent view so we moved across to the old North stand. The smell of cigars, damp sheepskin coats and police horse crap lingers fondly in my nostrils to this day.

SouthsideHarp_Bhoy
17-06-2017, 09:53 PM
My dad and his pals always stood at the top of the corner of the old terracing where it swept rpund to the cowshed. Me and my brother were too busy running arpund the terracing or rolling rocks down the old bit of wasteground at the entrance to the terracing! Never understood why they stood in the only bit without a roof.

I also remember a few games of fitba wirh bottle tops or cartons at the back of the terracing, next to the old program shed.

edwards
17-06-2017, 09:55 PM
The cave for the atmosphere and the banter and the songs

lord bunberry
17-06-2017, 09:56 PM
My first match was on the old East terracing. I still remember how overwhelmed I was by the seemingly never ending stairs up the back and then the sight of the stadium on arriving at the top.

When I started going regularly (1st division under Bertie Auld) I went to the terracing not far from the dodgy TV camera gantry (which once blew over in the wind one Friday night damaging thousands in equipment that the BBC had set up). The singing section at the time was the skinhead crew who assembled in the same area. Normally we'd move in line with the edge of the 18yd box for the 2nd half as we'd invariably be shooting down the slope.

After a few seasons we were sick of getting soaked on the still uncovered terracing so we moved across to the North enclosure. I remember some matches where it was seriously over capacity.

Once the East was reduced and covered we moved back across. Some of my best memories of ER, certainly in terms of atmosphere, are from that period. The seats ruined it.

I then decided that if I had to sit at matches then I preferred a decent view so we moved across to the old North stand. The smell of cigars, damp sheepskin coats and police horse crap lingers fondly in my nostrils to this day.
I agree about the covered east when it was standing. Most of my best memories from Easter Road were from that time. That game against Dundee Utd when we came back from 2-0 down with 15 minutes to go and won 3-2 was legendary. Gareth Evans was better than Messi that night.

Topographic Hibby
17-06-2017, 10:02 PM
Ah, the boys gate at the East and that climb up the stairs till you hit cloud level.....

You've struck a memory chord for me!!

StevieCowan
18-06-2017, 06:57 AM
In the old main Stand in the South section as this is where the Hibs kids were located.

weecounty hibby
18-06-2017, 05:24 PM
First ever game I went to I was in the old North Stand. After that we used to go I to the seated section behind the goals. When I got a bit older it was the old North Enclosure. Since then I have had STs I. All of the stands/sections in the home end. Currently in FF upper front row with my son about 5 seats along from where I had a ST when the FF first opened

The Captain....
18-06-2017, 06:18 PM
My Uncle used to take me to the Enclosure in front of the old stand when I was a nipper. When I was old enough to go with my mates it was towards the Dunbar end of the East Terracing. Now in my (almost) twighlight years it's a spacious seat in the West Stand Lower amongst friends and great group of other season ticket holders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Colr
18-06-2017, 06:30 PM
I used to stand directly under the camera scaffolding in the old East. I can remember the stadium being about 80% empty and most of the fans gathering there to try and assemble some kind of atmosphere. Jean jackets and green or white builders helmets were the attire of the day. I can also remember getting through the turnstiles and looking up at this momentous cliff face in front of you to get into the stadium, I was quite wee at the time mind you.

My uncle Alex had a season ticket for the north stand so we were usually there but my first game was the south stand.