PDA

View Full Version : Everton and Jordan Pickford

Sylar
13-06-2017, 10:25 AM
Everton are apparently set to spend £30 MILLION on an U21 English goalkeeper, Jordan Pickford.

Absolutely stupid money, and the type of transfer that highlights just how farcical the EPL is.

I've no doubt the young lad is a good prospect, but £30 million is utterly laughable.

Big_Franck
13-06-2017, 10:32 AM
Everton are apparently set to spend £30 MILLION on an U21 English goalkeeper, Jordan Pickford.

Absolutely stupid money, and the type of transfer that highlights just how farcical the EPL is.

I've no doubt the young lad is a good prospect, but £30 million is utterly laughable.

He was decent at the start of the season but made a few mistakes towards the end. Clearly a decent young keeper but he's not even worth half that.

CapitalGreen
13-06-2017, 10:33 AM

Why?

He's not a prospect, he's already a great goalkeeper and great goalkeepers are hard to find.

Stevie Reid
13-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Why?

He's not a prospect, he's already a great goalkeeper and great goalkeepers are hard to find.

He's played a good number of games for a guy his age but other than being tethered to the bottom three with Sunderland, it's all been League One and below.

He may well go on to be a great goalkeeper, but there's no way on earth he can be described as great right now. £30M is a huge amount of money, and a big risk.

Scouse Hibee
13-06-2017, 10:40 AM

Admittedly it does seem an extremely high fee for a goalkeeper, however if Everton feel he is the real deal and the man to be their number one for years to come then I can understand them paying it. Having a top class keeper is the way to go if you want to build a team that can challenge for trophies.

Suburban Hibby
13-06-2017, 10:41 AM
he is no Neville Southall....

JDHibs
13-06-2017, 10:42 AM
It was well noted that without Pickford Sunderland would have been a hell of alot worse off than they were. Great keeper.

As for the £30m price, is it really laughable when a difference in position in the premiership can be worth millions in itself? Never mind Europa league or Champions League where Everton are trying to get to. David De Gea may have cost £20m plus but has more than made up for it the amount of points hes won Utd over the past 3 or 4 season.

Ask Burnley how important Heaton is to them season on season.

Every top team has a top top keeper -

Chelsea - Courtois
Spurs - Lloris
Arsenal - Cech
Utd - De Gea

Left out City as ive no idea how good this new guy is.

Diclonius
13-06-2017, 10:43 AM
As I keep saying - can't wait until the money runs out down south.

CapitalGreen
13-06-2017, 10:46 AM
He's played a good number of games for a guy his age but other than being tethered to the bottom three with Sunderland, it's all been League One and below.

He may well go on to be a great goalkeeper, but there's no way on earth he can be described as great right now. £30M is a huge amount of money, and a big risk.

Best saves per game in the EPL playing behind arguably the worst defense. His distribution is also excellent which will fit well with the type of game Koeman plays.

They'll get at least 10 years out of Pickford whereas the alternative would be to keep buying mediocre keepers in the Robles and Stekelenburg mould which will add up to more than £30m over the same time.

CallumLaidlaw
13-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Worth remembering that £30m is the headline figure. The upfront fee will probably be closer to half that with the rest made up of clauses and performance based add ons.

Everton have needed a top quality kepper since Tim Howard lost his mojo around 3 years ago. Pickford and Butland are likely to be Englands 2 main keepers for years to come. Everton are trying to rebuild their side for a push at the top 6, but I think they are doing it the right way by looking for players that will also improve and possibly be there for a long time to come.

leithsansiro
13-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Regardless, still a ridiculous amount of money for a guy with limited experience. The club are clearly paying for potential, but it is a fact of English football that clubs can afford to take a £30M risk. However, if they potentially get the longevity that, for example, Buffon has given Juventus, £30m will begin to look like a good deal. Not that I'm saying Pickford is as good as Buffon was, by the way.

That level of cash though is the reason why I hate English (and "top level") football.

CapitalGreen
13-06-2017, 10:54 AM
Regardless, still a ridiculous amount of money for a guy with limited experience. The club are clearly paying for potential, but it is a fact of English football that clubs can afford to take a £30M risk. However, if they potentially get the longevity that, for example, Buffon has given Juventus, £30m will begin to look like a good deal. Not that I'm saying Pickford is as good as Buffon was, by the way.

That level of cash though is the reason why I hate English (and "top level") football.

For perspective, Buffon was £32m in 2001, which would probably be £70m+ in today's market.

JimBHibees
13-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Admittedly it does seem an extremely high fee for a goalkeeper, however if Everton feel he is the real deal and the man to be their number one for years to come then I can understand them paying it. Having a top class keeper is the way to go if you want to build a team that can challenge for trophies.

Yeah but its Everton you are talking about. :greengrin

Laughable amount of money in comparison to the offer for Jason.

GreenNWhiteArmy
13-06-2017, 10:55 AM
I've a feeling we're going to see one of these threads every week until the end of the transfer window.

It really is monopoly money down south now. I expect the Pogba fee to be eclipsed once or twice in the window as well. £30M for a GK that was in one of the worst EVER EPL teams :faf:

FIFA/UEFA/TV companies want this and there's not a thing we can do about it, other than switch off to it. Within the next 10 years there will be a Super League of sorts. Football as i knew it, died over 10 years ago. The gulf is just going to get bigger and bigger.

We need to continue to back Hibs so that when it comes to contract offers and paying fees we give the club as much support as we can. I think when the next contract is up for renewal with the broadcasters we'll get a much better deal.

MWHIBBIES
13-06-2017, 11:01 AM
If Everton are willing to pay 30 million he is worth 30 million. If he is their keeper for 10 years that is a bargain

hibsbollah
13-06-2017, 11:04 AM
I remember the incredulity when Birmingham sold Trevor Francis as the first million pound player :faf:

None of the numbers make any sense of course, but that's the inflated market. Monopoly capitalism in its purest form. If I was building a team, I'd start with the best keeper I could afford, most important player on the pitch. So it kind of makes sense to me.

Pretty Boy
13-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Pickford is a fantastic young goalkeeper and Everton may well have either bought themselves a goalkeeper for the next 15 years or one they will sell for a profit in the next few.

No one would bat an eyelid if a young English striker moved between club for that kind of fee but yet again people underestimate just how important a good goalkeeper is to a team. Much as I find the fees being paid by clubs ridiculous people are worth what someone is willing to pay. It's about time goalkeepers started to catch up with the rest of the market and got the appreciation they deserve.

I'll state now Pickford will be Englands 1st choice within 18 months and at a bigger club for more than £30M within 5 years.

RossScott1991
13-06-2017, 11:24 AM
30million seems to be the standard rate now, Everton want about 70 / 80 million for Lukaku.

Real Madrd bought Ronaldo from Man Utd for about 85 million and that was only about 6/7 years ago.

Says it all really.

blackpoolhibs
13-06-2017, 11:45 AM
I have watched quite a bit of him recently, and i think he's already a very very good keeper, who will go on to be a great one over the next 10 years.

£30m will seem cheap in a few years time.

easty
13-06-2017, 11:56 AM
I'll state now Pickford will be Englands 1st choice within 18 months and at a bigger club for more than £30M within 5 years.

Butland is the better keeper in my opinion. If he hadn't been injured at the start of the season, I reckon he'd be the one moving for huge money now.

easty
13-06-2017, 11:56 AM
For perspective, Buffon was £32m in 2001, which would probably be £70m+ in today's market.

Even at £70m he'd have been a bargain for Juve.

Lago
13-06-2017, 12:15 PM
You could have a long wait.

brog
13-06-2017, 12:29 PM
No one knows how good Pickford may be. £30m may be a bargain or it may be a complete failure. The problem with the goalkeeping position is its uniqueness. If an outfield player loses form he has a variety of positions he can subsequently fill. A keeper can only replace the one position. The EPL is full of "great" keepers sitting on the bench. Pickford may join them in time.

theonlywayisup
13-06-2017, 12:35 PM

Sunderland are obviously thinking that if some was daft enough to spend £9m on Gordon ten years ago, the someone is daft enough to pay £30m now.

theonlywayisup
13-06-2017, 12:37 PM

It's not going to happen anytime soon. We're going through the worst financial crisis in since the 70s and the amount going to the EPL increases and increases. Someone said that Sunderland finishing bottom received more money that Leicester did from winning the EPL the season before. Don't know if that is true, but it's an indication that money is increasing.

Sylar
13-06-2017, 12:45 PM
For the record, my incredulity is not because I doubt the potential talent of this young lad, nor is it because he's a GK rather than a striker that I find the price tag obscene.

It's the relatively little experience at the top level, combined with clubs having that sort of money to take a gamble with down south in the first place that bothers me.

It's so ludicrously over-inflated compared to all other leagues around Europe - for example, look at Sergio Rico in Spain - a fantastic young goalkeeping prospect who's the same age as Pickford and a regular starter for one of Spain's top clubs, winning the Europa League twice. He was valued at £15 million last year when several clubs tried to nab him. Same age, far more experience, half the price tag.

I get it, a player's worth what a club are willing to pay for them - it just seems silly to me how inconsistent valuations are.

Betty Boop
13-06-2017, 12:47 PM

Folk have been saying that for years :greengrin

Big_Franck
13-06-2017, 05:05 PM
He'll probably turn out to be yet another in a long, long list of over-hyped young English keepers that turn out to be bang average.

Sir David Gray
13-06-2017, 05:39 PM

As long as Sky and BT keep pumping around £1.6 billion per year into English football then you'll be waiting a while.

£30 million for someone who hasn't even played a senior game for England yet is absurd.

Viva_Palmeiras
13-06-2017, 06:58 PM

The EPL will eat itself.

HoboHarry
13-06-2017, 07:03 PM

You are pitching your opinion against a fact - and it is a fact that Everton are willing to pay that amount so he is worth the money.

Stevie Reid
13-06-2017, 07:10 PM
Best saves per game in the EPL playing behind arguably the worst defense. His distribution is also excellent which will fit well with the type of game Koeman plays.

They'll get at least 10 years out of Pickford whereas the alternative would be to keep buying mediocre keepers in the Robles and Stekelenburg mould which will add up to more than £30m over the same time.

I'm not saying that he's not good, and much of your post makes sense. I just took issue with you saying he was a great goalkeeper. Again, not saying he won't become one.

easty
13-06-2017, 08:21 PM
You are pitching your opinion against a fact - and it is a fact that Everton are willing to pay that amount so he is worth the money.

That's obviously not true.

HoboHarry
14-06-2017, 01:38 AM
That's obviously not true.

What isn't?

Dashing Bob S
14-06-2017, 03:58 AM
I've no truck with Pickford.

blackpoolhibs
14-06-2017, 05:52 AM
I wonder who he will get to do the removal?

NadeAteMyLunch!
14-06-2017, 06:05 AM
With the money in England, it's about as risky as us spending £30 on a young prospect to be honest.

JimBHibees
14-06-2017, 06:18 AM
I'm not saying that he's not good, and much of your post makes sense. I just took issue with you saying he was a great goalkeeper. Again, not saying he won't become one.

Agree from what little I have seen of him he is well off being a great keeper now. Good shot stopper however have seen him throw a few in also. Difficult to judge given the team he was in last season. Alot of pressure on him however his bank manager will be happy. Assume a good move in a football sense as get the impression Everton will be a good move but the transfer fee will weigh heavy.

Big_Franck
14-06-2017, 06:24 AM

This idea that if a club is willing to pay a fee for a player, that that automatically means he worth that fee is IMO absolute nonsense. It'd mean no club has ever overpaid for a player. It'd also mean every player ever signed has been value for money. That is clearly not true.

easty
14-06-2017, 06:45 AM
What isn't?

Liverpool were willing to pay £35m for Andy Carroll, he wasn't worth it. Hibs paid for James Collins, he wasn't worth it.

A club willing to pay £X doesn't mean it's a fact that's what the player is worth.

Velma Dinkley
14-06-2017, 07:09 AM
All life is priceless.

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2017, 08:03 AM
Liverpool were willing to pay £35m for Andy Carroll, he wasn't worth it. Hibs paid for James Collins, he wasn't worth it.

A club willing to pay £X doesn't mean it's a fact that's what the player is worth.

Interesting point, the market dictates the value of players just like a commodity really, how do we actually go about valuing players otherwise? The old saying something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it comes to mind. I suppose over time the only thing you can equate it to is if you feel you got value from the performances of a certain player in relation to what you paid for them, or maybe managed to make a profit when selling them on. In which case the true value of a player can never be reflected on until he has actually signed on and performed.

easty
14-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Interesting point, the market dictates the value of players just like a commodity really, how do we actually go about valuing players otherwise? The old saying something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it comes to mind. I suppose over time the only thing you can equate it to is if you feel you got value from the performances of a certain player in relation to what you paid for them, or maybe managed to make a profit when selling them on. In which case the true value of a player can never be reflected on until he has actually signed on and performed.

Market dictates the cost, not the value.

In football player terms, a player has to justify his value through performance, in my opinion, not just their sale value.

****e cost Leicester about £6m. Is that what he was worth?

Edit - you can't write K A N T E????

Scouse Hibee
14-06-2017, 09:26 AM
Market dictates the cost, not the value.

In football player terms, a player has to justify his value through performance, in my opinion, not just their sale value.

****e cost Leicester about £6m. Is that what he was worth?

Edit - you can't write K A N T E????

Exactly what I have said :agree:

easty
14-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Exactly what I have said :agree:

:aok:

HoboHarry
14-06-2017, 12:30 PM
This idea that if a club is willing to pay a fee for a player, that that automatically means he worth that fee is IMO absolute nonsense. It'd mean no club has ever overpaid for a player. It'd also mean every player ever signed has been value for money. That is clearly not true.
You don't get it. It may be that other clubs think he is overvalued at that price but Everton clearly don't - they have decided that he is worth buying at that price.

hibs#1
14-06-2017, 03:31 PM
According to sky 30million is only the start of evertons spending. Apparently they have representatives in Milan trying to sign 6 players 3 from inter,3 from AC.

I think the money spent in England this year will be scary.

easty
14-06-2017, 04:22 PM
According to sky 30million is only the start of evertons spending. Apparently they have representatives in Milan trying to sign 6 players 3 from inter,3 from AC.

I think the money spent in England this year will be scary.

To be fair, they'll be bringing in a wad of money when they sell Lukaku and maybe Barkley.

Holmesdale Hibs
14-06-2017, 05:23 PM

I agree a player (or anything else) is valued by what someone is willing to pay. Obviously if you compare the money football clubs spend to the good it could do elsewhere it is disproportionate (or even obscene), but the same could be said for lots of things such as property, designer clothes etc and that's a different discussion.

Another way to look at it, as mention before, is pricing through comparables. In Pickford's case, £30mn (£25 plus add ons) could be favourably compared with the £35mn Spurs spent on Sissoko or the £30mn Arsenal spent on that striker last year that never plays. Sure there are many others. You'd think pound per point they'll earn, Pickford relatively good value, especially as their current keeper Joel is a bit ****.

Lost_Mackem
15-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Gutted it looks like he is going to be leaving but given we were in a poor financial position even before we were relegated then it's too much money to turn down. He's a good keeper but he isn't worth £30m - yet. I thought we'd get around £20m for him so well done to the club for managing to bump up the price as I'm sure Everton had another offer knocked back a week or so ago.

Hopefully McInnes is allowed to use some of the money to reshape the squad if (when) he's appointed.