PDA

View Full Version : NHC Anyone on here not born last time Scotland qualified for a major tournament?

G B Young
12-06-2017, 11:07 AM
As somebody who was at France 98 but has long since stopped following the Scotland football team, I tend not to regard 1998 as THAT long ago.

However, I was in my local yesterday and met the son of a mate who has just started working behind the bar. Hadn't seen him for a few years, so discovering he turns 20 next year was enough to make me feel pretty old, but when he asked if I'd watched the England game and mentioned he wasn't born the last time Scotland played at a major tournament I then REALLY felt my age!

connerg
12-06-2017, 01:57 PM
Like you i gave up on Scotland a long time ago too. Tell your friend's son i've seen Scotland qualify for six World cup's and two Euro Championship's.

All ending in disaster.

HoboHarry
12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Like you i gave up on Scotland a long time ago too. Tell your friend's son i've seen Scotland qualify for six World cup's and two Euro Championship's.

All ending in disaster.
1974 wasn't great but hardly a disaster. The rest I'll give you......

Diclonius
12-06-2017, 02:07 PM
I was 7 when France 98 happened. Don't remember it at all.

connerg
12-06-2017, 02:14 PM

We never lost a game but still went home after the group stage. Call it unlucky then.

connerg
12-06-2017, 02:20 PM
I was 7 when France 98 happened. Don't remember it at all.

Truth is i can't remember West Germany 1974. I was only five.

Argentina 1978 i remember too much.

Mibbes Aye
12-06-2017, 05:56 PM

1982 wasn't great but we were a touch unlucky there too.

Drawing against the Soviets was a good result, they had some very good players - the spine of the great Dinamo Kiev team and one of the best keepers in the world at the time in Rinat Dasaev. I seem to recall a couple of unforced errors in the New Zealand game and had we avoided that and kept a clean sheet I think we would have gone through. In fairness the Soviets deserved it, they gave the Brazilians a much tougher game than we did. Although they went out in the next round that 1982 Brazilian team were simply the finest collection ever to play on a football field and that's FACT :greengrin.

As for 1986, we were up against two of the best teams in the world in Denmark and West Germany, along with a Uruguay who combined sheer thuggery with the artistry of Enzo Francescoli. I think we only lost by a single goal to the former two and were still in with a shout of qualification in the Uruguay game,depending on the score in the other match. That would have required us winning however and Steve Nicol's open goal miss will live long in the memory!

1990 seemed like an abomination but in fairness to Costa Rica, they didn't just beat us, they beat the Swedes too and matched our result against Brazil.

Euro 92 was also a decent performance. We didn't look out of our depth against the Dutch - remember this was Gulit, Rikjaard, Koeman and Van Basten. We played well against the Germans too and suffered a wicked deflection for one of their goals before giving the CIS a doing. Even Brian McClair managed to score!

DTS
12-06-2017, 06:08 PM
I was 1 when we qualified in 1998, obviously I remember every game vividly

WeeRussell
12-06-2017, 06:17 PM
Anyone on here genuinely believe that the OP was made because the poster was 'feeling his age' ?

stoneyburn hibs
12-06-2017, 06:23 PM
Anyone on here genuinely believe that the OP was made because the poster was 'feeling his age' ?

Thanks for raising "it".
He's at it constantly, always belittling anything Scottish, not so much Hibs. I'd like to say more but I'd get a ticking off.

WeeRussell
12-06-2017, 06:35 PM
Thanks for raising "it".
He's at it constantly, always belittling anything Scottish, not so much Hibs. I'd like to say more but I'd get a ticking off.

Indeed, somewhat tedious. Fair play though it's both persistent and consistent. Anything football related, politics or anything else.. you can rely on a good old dig at our country. And putting "we" occasionally does nothing to hide them.

The username makes it easy to remember haha.

Starting a new thread on the main board is an increased effort though.

And maybe that's me said too much. (It's been a long day ;) )

Nameless
12-06-2017, 07:28 PM
I was born in '82. I remember watching Italia 90, Euro 96 and France 98. It was my educated opinion that Scotland always qualified for for major tournaments, so me and my best mate at the time, promised ourselves we'd be at the next one in. Given that I have no interest in traveling to Russia, 2020 is the next major that I might finally get to fulfill that promise I made when I was 16.....I'll be 40 if we qualify!!

Sir David Gray
12-06-2017, 07:29 PM
I was just coming up for 10 when we were at the 1998 World Cup. I can vaguely remember some of the matches and do remember us playing against Brazil and Tom Boyd's own goal giving them the win.

That makes me feel extremely old!

Skol
12-06-2017, 07:45 PM
We never lost a game but still went home after the group stage. Call it unlucky then.

Apart from the 3-1 defeat by Peru

Skol
12-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Apart from the 3-1 defeat by Peru

ha ha that was 78, got my years mixed up

mim
12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
I was at the 74 and 82 finals, so was definitely born :greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
12-06-2017, 07:59 PM
No France 98. No Scotland-Brazil. No John Collins penalty. No moonie. No catch my wifeys eye. No marriage. No Kids. No being able to support another team that can actually win the blummin. Thing.

In short I'd need a flux capacitor and a De Lorean to stop my family from being erased from history... ;)

ancient hibee
12-06-2017, 08:08 PM
It seems a long time ago that we qualified for the World Cup and the SFA refused to go because we hadn't won the section(the home international championship).

Pretty Boy
12-06-2017, 08:11 PM
I went to all the home qualifying games for 94 and 98 WCs and the 96 and 00 Euros. Also made a few of the games for the 02 qualifiers.

Lost interest in international football at some point in the mid 00s and never really got it back. I watched almost every game at the 98 WC, I think I saw 2 full games throughout the entire Euros tournament last years. It just doesn't get me going in the way club football does.

Albanian Hibs
12-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Was 9 when I went to Scotland v Brazil at Italia 90. Remember travelling in the back of a mini bus through the night from Yugoslavia through a thunder and lightning storm. Got into the match with a Scotland v Costa Rica ticket 😂 and sat on my Dad's knee for the whole game.

weecounty hibby
12-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Been to two world cups in 1990 and 98 and also euro 96. Italia 90 was the best, the most amazing two weeks spent with a bunch of young guys from Alloa who supported everyone from Alloa, Dundee, Hibs, hearts and the OF and some who were only Scotland fans. Too many great stories that would fill a dozen threads. I feel sorry for young folk these days as it looks less and less likely to happen anytime soon

Just Jimmy
13-06-2017, 01:57 AM
Born 85. Properly remember euro 96 and 98. In the same boat that my mates and me mentioned then we'd go to the next one, once we were 18...

No russia so I'll be almost 40 too. That's disgusting that it's taken so long. Thankfully I'm not much of an international football fan.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haymaker
13-06-2017, 02:37 AM
Born 85. Properly remember euro 96 and 98. In the same boat that my mates and me mentioned then we'd go to the next one, once we were 18...

No russia so I'll be almost 40 too. That's disgusting that it's taken so long. Thankfully I'm not much of an international football fan.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm exactly the same. I always wanted to follow Scotland to a world cup but I'll be nearing 40 by 2022.

Mates of mine follow England everywhere to guarantee tickets to WC finals and have had some great experiences. A Welsh friend just said "**** it, I'll go to Brazil anyway" and had a great time. I should have joined him for the experience!

Glory Lurker
13-06-2017, 03:30 AM
Prior to last year, was anyone's grandparents born the last time Hibs won the cup? None of mine were.

Conversely, like the majority of the population of Scotland, nay, the entire planet, I was alive for France 98.

But time does pass, and some people weren't around when that happened.

HoboHarry
13-06-2017, 03:35 AM
Prior to last year, was anyone's grandparents born the last time Hibs won the cup? None of mine were.

Conversely, like the majority of the population of Scotland, nay, the entire planet, I was alive for France 98.

But time does pass, and some people weren't around when that happened.
My grandfather was. All of his adult life he believed he had been born in 1900 until he went to claim his pension and discovered he was a year too early lol. Had to go get his job back and work another year..... :faf: