PDA

View Full Version : The love of Sunshine on Leith

Mainstandman
09-06-2017, 08:02 AM
My daughter (who comes to some games with me) recently came back from a school trip to Belgium. She said they were blasting out SOL on the bus all the time and lovin' it. Any other instances where you've heard the song appreciated in non game situations.

Itsnoteasy
09-06-2017, 08:06 AM
Sitting in ma mates playing the ZX Spectrum when most people hadn't even heard of the Proclaimers

SouthMoroccoStu
09-06-2017, 08:24 AM
First dance at my wedding :greengrin

That day I inherited 56 English relatives

Most had heard of Craig and Charlie but not SoL

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2017, 08:27 AM
Whenever I end up in Dickens with my old man for a pint, its usually on the most played list on the jukebox which seems to annoy the Jambo landlord.

Hibby70
09-06-2017, 09:07 AM
Sitting in ma mates playing the ZX Spectrum when most people hadn't even heard of the Proclaimers

Sorry that therefore doesn't qualify as a non-game situation.

Were you playing Penetrator or Manic Miner at the time?

headshrinker
09-06-2017, 09:13 AM
I belted it out in the Birchwood pub in Abbywood London while meeting my daughter's soon to be inlaws. Got a cheer at the end let everyone know I was a Hibby, showed them the Hibs tattoo and my daughter loved it. :flag:

Jones28
09-06-2017, 09:20 AM
"While I'm worth, my room on this earth, I will be with you" were my wedding vows!

One Day
09-06-2017, 09:23 AM
I belted it out in the Birchwood pub in Abbywood London while meeting my daughter's soon to be inlaws. Got a cheer at the end let everyone know I was a Hibby, showed them the Hibs tattoo and my daughter loved it. :flag:

I hope it wasn't on your a*se

hibby6270
09-06-2017, 09:32 AM
After the 2007 League Cup Final, SoL took on a whole new significance for me. My dad died not long after the final and it was only fitting that SoL was the music we used when his coffin was brought in to the chapel at his funeral. Now when it's belted out after significant victories, it reminds me of him and I inwardly "thank him, for his work" for introducing me to the Hibs family 55 years ago.

Smartie
09-06-2017, 09:41 AM
On the way back from "James McFadden" game in Paris, I abandoned the particularly fragrant Tartan Army train from Paris to Glasgow when it reached London and went to stay with my brother for a few days.

We met up with a few of my mates who lived down there and we had a cracking rendition of it in some pub in Dulwich. My brother and I were the only Hibbies too, but they all seemed to know it word for word as well.

Afterwards we had girls coming up to us saying it was one of the best and most emotional things they'd ever heard.

IFONLY
09-06-2017, 09:50 AM
"While I'm worth, my room on this earth, I will be with you" were my wedding vows!

What a wonderful thing to do.!!!!!

SirDavidsNapper
09-06-2017, 09:52 AM
Just a beautiful song. Even the most hardened Jambo must agree

Mick O'Rourke
09-06-2017, 09:54 AM
Whenever I end up in Dickens with my old man for a pint, its usually on the most played list on the jukebox which seems to annoy the Jambo landlord.
Indeed it is
I was in Dickens a couple of weeks ago.
Just happened to be in the area;-)

I know a number of the day time regulars well(and early morning ones,too!)
It may surprise some that a fair number of regulars in Dickens are Hibernian supporters.
Callum is a good landlord.
I have known him for many years.
If he didnae want SOL on the juke box,it widnae be there.
But yer right,he does usually pull a face when someone plays it.
Mostly kidology wae Callum

Hibs07p
09-06-2017, 10:39 AM
I was down at Blackpool for my uncles funeral in January, it wasn't played at the funeral, but later on I heard it getting played at my cousins house, one of three females born in Edinburgh and not realy interested in football. My cousins and their teenage kids were singing along and knew the words and were paying respect to their heritage. It was great to hear it sung by so many Lancashire voices.

GGTTH
Scottish Cup Winners 2016
Ram Yer 1902

jacomo
09-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Just a beautiful song. Even the most hardened Jambo must agree

Hardened Jambos get off on roof trusses and plastic cows these days.

I doubt the freaks know anything of beauty.

SirDavidsNapper
09-06-2017, 11:03 AM
Hardened Jambos get off on roof trusses and plastic cows these days.

I doubt the freaks know anything of beauty.
😂

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

HUTCHYHIBBY
09-06-2017, 11:10 AM
Indeed it is
I was in Dickens a couple of weeks ago.
Just happened to be in the area;-)

I know a number of the day time regulars well(and early morning ones,too!)
It may surprise some that a fair number of regulars in Dickens are Hibernian supporters.
Callum is a good landlord.
I have known him for many years.
If he didnae want SOL on the juke box,it widnae be there.
But yer right,he does usually pull a face when someone plays it.
Mostly kidology wae Callum

Aye, he isnae a bad lad for a Jambo. As you say more Hibbies than Jambos in there unless they are at home.

CockneyRebel
09-06-2017, 11:20 AM

Pure class mate

HibbiesandtheBaddies
09-06-2017, 11:28 AM
I remember seeing a comment on facebook or youtube describing SoL as 'a love song to a football club'

Like that.

Hibee87
09-06-2017, 11:37 AM
My Mum got married to a guy from york a few years ago who was a singer in some bands and pubs/clubs solo. Took him to a hibs game where we sang it (for the life of me I can't remember who) but he loved the song and admitted knowing a few proclamore songs and never heard of it. Any way in and around York is where he gigs and he started using it in his sets and has said the positive feedback he gets it great. And he can also spot the hibs/hearts fans in crowd :greengrin

weonlywon6-2
09-06-2017, 11:49 AM

First dance at my wedding as well 1995 👍🏻👍🏻

Itsnoteasy
09-06-2017, 12:08 PM
Sorry that therefore doesn't qualify as a non-game situation.

Were you playing Penetrator or Manic Miner at the time?

Manic miner 🖒

Peevemor
09-06-2017, 12:37 PM

I'm not sure about that - they were known UK wide after Letter from America.

fat freddy
09-06-2017, 12:52 PM
I'm not sure about that - they were known UK wide after Letter from America.

They were well known long before Letter from America, well to Edinburgh Punks they were, they used to play in a band called Black Flag (not the american hard core band). I saw them play a gig at Pathead community centre around about 1981 before they morphed into The Proclaimers, I was talking to the singer of Black Flag recently and hes still bitter that the twins went their seperate way and left him marooned on Naerecorddeal Island

lyonhibs
09-06-2017, 01:00 PM
First dance at my wedding as well 1995 👍🏻👍🏻

Mine too. An elite club it would seem.

tamsonsbairn
09-06-2017, 01:01 PM
I worked in South Africa 1994/95. i worked in a Italian restaurant and one of the other guys, a south african used to rave about the Proclaimers, he was delighted when I gave him a cd, he used to play it all the time in the restaurant and it went down really well with the customers. :green grin.

Jones28
09-06-2017, 02:00 PM
Following on from my vows, I bumped my new wife to dance to sunshine on leith with my Hibs pal, he kens who he is if he's reading this!

Earlydelivery
09-06-2017, 02:12 PM
Sung at my nephews funeral in Vienna . Very poignant.

Famous Fiver
09-06-2017, 08:39 PM
Saints fans gave it big licks after their draw at ER recently.

Could be a new anthem for them?

Leith's finest
09-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Letter from america, the video was filmed in leith docks but was meant to be filmed in the caledonian distilary haymarket, but the owners thought it was to political to be filmed there, they shut the place a short while after

Bristolhibby
09-06-2017, 08:48 PM

Got married in 2007, not long after the CIS Cup win. SOL was planting out on the dance floor.

J

EH6 Hibby
09-06-2017, 11:40 PM
A sheep fan wearing an Aberdeen top and hat, sung it on the Karaoke for me and my son in Tenerife after the Brondby game last year. The sheep had been playing the same night so he was quite merry.

Buc
10-06-2017, 01:32 AM
Last year on the first night of a golf holiday in Spain, two of us did SOL on the karaoke, we impressed a group of Dublin Ladies, so much so that in the bar the next night, they told us that they had spent the day learning the lyrics and sang along with us about three times a night for the next three nights😂 About a month later we won the cup and I really hope they saw the mass Hampden choir giving it large!!

ajf
10-06-2017, 04:52 AM
A group of us went over to Las Vegas for my laddies 21st, on a pub crawl on freemont st on the day of his birthday we happened on a bar with a group playing, one of his uncles put in a request for sol and the band duly obliged then got my son up to sing 500 miles, later the singer approached us and asked what " haver " meant and was told " its a hearts thing

Niffy
10-06-2017, 05:51 AM
Ahhh when I went to see the Housemartins at the Queens Hall and the support act were these two nerds with guitars and everyone thought "wtf" but then we all bought cds of them at the back later.

Johnny Clash
10-06-2017, 06:30 PM
Ahhh when I went to see the Housemartins at the Queens Hall and the support act were these two nerds with guitars and everyone thought "wtf" but then we all bought cds of them at the back later.

Nice one! Just goes to show leaving the boozer to go see support bands is the smart thing to do. I'm afraid I've lapsed over recent years! 🍺

staunchhibby
10-06-2017, 06:36 PM
Programme about the Proclaimers on BBC 2 on Wednesday 27th June👍👍👍👍

Niffy
10-06-2017, 06:53 PM
Nice one! Just goes to show leaving the boozer to go see support bands is the smart thing to do. I'm afraid I've lapsed over recent years! 🍺

Ha ha , aye , get in early before those old punk rockers and all that :)