PDA

View Full Version : tranfer question

bill_reed
08-06-2017, 10:13 AM
how can Rangers buy 4 player when the transfer window is not open yet... thought you could only hire free agents outwith the transfer window...

Hermit Crab
08-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Is it not because its open different countries at different times? I think that the teams in Scandinavia can buy/sell after our windows shut, so maybe thats why they can buy now.

CapitalGreen
08-06-2017, 10:17 AM
how can Rangers buy 4 player when the transfer window is not open yet... thought you could only hire free agents outwith the transfer window...

Transfer window is a bit of a misnomer. It is really a registration window.

They can transfer a player at anytime however they can only register them to play with the Football Association when the window opens.

H18 SFR
08-06-2017, 10:17 AM

Anyone can 'buy' a player at anytime, transfer window or not. The key thing is that they can not be registered to play until the next window is open.

Geo_1875
08-06-2017, 10:24 AM
Anyone can 'buy' a player at anytime, transfer window or not. The key thing is that they can not be registered to play until the next window is open.

Unless they are a free agent

bingo70
08-06-2017, 10:31 AM
No offence to the op as it comes up all the time but I'm amazed at the confusion this causes.

They can sign them but they can't play until after the window opens which isn't a problem as the season is finished. Once the last game is played the transfer window opening is irrelevant.

H18 SFR
08-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Unless they are a free agent

Not strictly true, there is a cut-off date around March for the registration of 'free agents'.

Laurs
08-06-2017, 10:42 AM
What I can't understand is where they are getting the money from?? I thought they were totally broke but 2 x undisclosed fees and bidding 1mil for Dorrans??

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 10:48 AM
What I can't understand is where they are getting the money from?? I thought they were totally broke but 2 x undisclosed fees and bidding 1mil for Dorrans??They have at least 30k season ticket holders, obviously they aren't going to be broke.

overdrive
08-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Not strictly true, there is a cut-off date around March for the registration of 'free agents'.

Also being a free agent doesn't necessarily mean you can be registered. You have to be a free agent when the previous registration window closed, e.g. if a player was released the week after the window closed, he then couldn't be registered by another Club. That was partly what the problem was with Riordan prior to going to Celtic. His contract ended in October (presumably because his existing contract was signed prior to the transfer window being in existence).

Smartie
08-06-2017, 10:58 AM
What I can't understand is where they are getting the money from?? I thought they were totally broke but 2 x undisclosed fees and bidding 1mil for Dorrans??

There is still a bit of mystery surrounding The Rangers' real financial health.

If you choose to listen to the foaming mouthed Celtic-minded bloggers, their demise is imminent.

But say what you like about them as a club, there are still a lot of people who stump up cash to watch them play every week.

They're not as rich as Celtic, they certainly don't have the cash they had when their players were all on EBT's and they were playing in the Champions league.

But I'm sure they'll be able to find enough cash lying around to find the odd transfer, especially if it is the type of signing that might coax another 10k peepul to stump up for a season ticket.

Ozyhibby
08-06-2017, 11:16 AM
There is still a bit of mystery surrounding The Rangers' real financial health.

If you choose to listen to the foaming mouthed Celtic-minded bloggers, their demise is imminent.

But say what you like about them as a club, there are still a lot of people who stump up cash to watch them play every week.

They're not as rich as Celtic, they certainly don't have the cash they had when their players were all on EBT's and they were playing in the Champions league.

But I'm sure they'll be able to find enough cash lying around to find the odd transfer, especially if it is the type of signing that might coax another 10k peepul to stump up for a season ticket.

Yip, it's sustained failure that will see the crowds drop. They are running at a significant loss though and UEFA will likely put restrictions on their spending now that they are playing in their comps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zazu62
08-06-2017, 11:25 AM

Thousands of season tickets .. plenty money

CraigHibee
The question should be "how long before the currants are in the poo again" hopefully not too long

JDHibs
You can sign any player at any time, you just cant register them. Deals can be agreed at any time.

As for where are Rangers getting their cash, 40,000 season ticket sales at an average of £400 is £16,000,000, thats a pretty good start, without taking into account any merchandise sales etc. So far theyve spent £5.5m apparently.

J-C
08-06-2017, 12:18 PM
Perfect example is Swanson, we all know he signed a pre contract and he's been paraded by the club but he won't be a Hibs player officially until the window opens on the 9th and his papers are registered.

Geo_1875
08-06-2017, 12:21 PM

Also being a free agent doesn't necessarily mean you can be registered. You have to be a free agent when the previous registration window closed, e.g. if a player was released the week after the window closed, he then couldn't be registered by another Club. That was partly what the problem was with Riordan prior to going to Celtic. His contract ended in October (presumably because his existing contract was signed prior to the transfer window being in existence).

So when I said a free agent could be registered outside the transfer window, I was wrong?

overdrive
08-06-2017, 12:42 PM
So when I said a free agent could be registered outside the transfer window, I was wrong?

Not wrong, just not in all circumstances, e.g. after March or if they weren't a free agent when the previous window closed.

In the example I gave of Riordan, if Celtic didn't want to pay the small fee they ended up paying for him and he didn't sign a new contract with Hibs, he'd have been facing 2-3 months without playing.

Lago
08-06-2017, 12:45 PM
An even more puzzling question, how can they afford to pay the the transfer fees quoted.:confused:

HoboHarry
08-06-2017, 04:47 PM
An even more puzzling question, how can they afford to pay the the transfer fees quoted.:confused:
If you believe the info coming out of the press then you better brace yourself for this news - the tooth fairy doesn't exist......

Scouse Hibee
08-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Looks like they've nearly found enough to buy Jamie Walker. Negotiations ongoing I believe.

Lago
08-06-2017, 04:51 PM
If you believe the info coming out of the press then you better brace yourself for this news - the tooth fairy doesn't exist......
It just makes me so angry when I read the crap reported about that crowd.

Billy Whizz
08-06-2017, 04:53 PM
Looks like they've nearly found enough to buy Jamie Walker. Negotiations ongoing I believe.

Who has

greenginger
08-06-2017, 04:58 PM
You can sign any player at any time, you just cant register them. Deals can be agreed at any time.

As for where are Rangers getting their cash, 40,000 season ticket sales at an average of £400 is £16,000,000, thats a pretty good start, without taking into account any merchandise sales etc. So far theyve spent £5.5m apparently.

£16 million for season tickets is fine but it cost £22 million to run the club.

If they blow the season ticket money on signings, more loans will be needed come January.

Ozyhibby
08-06-2017, 06:29 PM

If they blow the season ticket money on signings, more loans will be needed come January.

And they still have not got rid of any of last seasons squad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberSauzee
08-06-2017, 11:22 PM

As pointed out by magpie1892? on the main Sevco demise thread, re the Garner transfer, the MSM quoted a fee of £1.5M, the real actual transfer fee is around £250K, the total deal including agents fees and remuneration brings it to around £1.5M.

So with these current transfers, expect something similar; i.e. figures quoted are for total packages, not the fee alone.

Marco G
09-06-2017, 06:38 AM

Presume their business plan expects Champions League revenues for 2018-19 and on (where did I read something similar recently?) !

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

JDHibs
09-06-2017, 08:43 AM

"Thats a pretty good start"...

I added that in for a reason, havent touched on donations, merchandise, catering, hospitality or player sales.