07-06-2017, 12:24 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40178246

Time to build a new one!

GreenNWhiteArmy
07-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Purpose built stadium in Stirling or outskirts of Edinburgh please

Ozyhibby
07-06-2017, 12:28 PM
Don't bother. Sell the ground and distribute the money to the membership clubs evenly.

Queen's Park might have something to say about that? [emoji23]
The SFA should move out though. Much cheaper to use the club's grounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lago
07-06-2017, 12:31 PM
No need for a dedicated national stadium. Lots of countries manage without one, plenty of alternative grounds.

Gatecrasher
07-06-2017, 12:32 PM
if it were just about Scotland I would say time to move on, but you also have to consider cup competitions as well. If Celtic and Rangers were to meet in a final the only viable venue is Murrayfield. I would say build a new state of the art stadium along the M8 somewhere between Edinburgh and Glasgow. If Wales, Ireland and England can do it, why cant we?

KWJ
07-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Big games where capacity will be filled play at Ibrox or Celtic Park.

Smaller games at Easter Roard, Tannadice, New Pittodrie and pish friendlies at New St. Mirren Park.

Deansy
07-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Sadly, the GFA wll more than likely plump for alternating between 'Greyskull' and 'Darkheid' - forget any (logical, natural) thoughts of our national staium being outside the Weeg !

Iain G
07-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Sell Hampden for housing development, build Queens Park a small community stadium somewhere in the area, reinvest the rest of the proceeds into developing training centers / grass roots football.

Use Muddyfield for the cup finals.

JimBHibees
07-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Sadly, the GFA wll more than likely plump for alternating between 'Greyskull' and 'Darkheid' - forget any (logical, natural) thoughts of our national staium being outside the Weeg !

SFA threatened this before, just a bit of positioning they wont move out as it makes them feel important. Makes no sense for there to be Hampden and Murrayfield in a small country like ours so bin the poor one Hampden, use the bigger and better one Murrayfield and the SFA can get some offices to do what they do no doubt somewhere in Glasgow.

KWJ
07-06-2017, 12:37 PM
Murrayfield is a bit grim these days too so SFA, SRU and Scottish Government would all have to be involved in a multi purpose new stadium somewhere around Stirling if it was to happen.

And find a way to keep you close to the pitch while being available to athletics.

JimBHibees
07-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Sell Hampden for housing development, build Queens Park a small community stadium somewhere in the area, reinvest the rest of the proceeds into developing training centers / grass roots football.

Spot on totally agree Queens park can use Lesser Hampden. When Hampden was being redeveloped previously John Collins said they should bin it and build ten indoor pitches throughout the country which could be used to develop players. If that had been done 20 years ago or whatever I think our national team might be better than it currently is.

hibeemikey21
07-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Old firm finals in Edinburgh? That gets a big no from me

hibs0666
07-06-2017, 12:49 PM
A big NO to sterile, out of town, stadia. Re-build Hampden in the same way as Cardiff Armns Park was re-developed.

Diclonius
07-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Demolish Hampden and build a new stadium in Stirling or Perth.

#persevered
07-06-2017, 12:55 PM
A big NO to sterile, out of town, stadia. Re-build Hampden in the same way as Cardiff Armns Park was re-developed.

Totally agree

BH Hibs
07-06-2017, 12:57 PM
Ship has sailed on a new one I'm afraid. It should've been built on the old BL site at Bathgate years ago but the SFA would never allow it to be built outside Glasgow.

Since90+2
07-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Murrayfield is a bit grim these days too so SFA, SRU and Scottish Government would all have to be involved in a multi purpose new stadium somewhere around Stirling if it was to happen.

And find a way to keep you close to the pitch while being available to athletics.

The SRU would not move its headquarters / stadium from Edinburgh as there is huge corporate sponsorship linked to the Six Nations and it would decrease massively if they were forced to play internationals somewhere like Stirling.

green&left
07-06-2017, 01:00 PM
They're not going to play Semi finals and Finals in Edinburgh when the likely hood is its going to involve at least 1 of the Glasgow 2. Similar as to why a new Perth or Stirling ground won't happen.

I like Hampden for location, easy motorway access, good coach parking and a train station for each end. Plenty social clubs and pubs etc too. Best option would be to bulldose existing, play at Parkhead for a season or two and re-develop. No reason we can't have a purpose built 60000+ capacity ground. This will likely just be an SFA tactic to save a few quid on the next lease and we'll be playing at the existing Hampden til 2040.

Ozyhibby
07-06-2017, 01:03 PM

Is there anywhere in the world that has a national stadium in towns the size of Stirling or Perth?
It has to be in a city because that's where the infrastructure is.

Since90+2
07-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Perth? Cant see the logic of building the countries main football stadium in a small city that is 45 miles from Edinburgh and 60 miles from Glasgow. Whether we like it or not the majority of football fans in this country live in the greater Strathclyde area so they wont be building a stadium 60 miles away from the main customer base.

If its not going to be in Glasgow the only other area where it would make sense to built it would be somewhere in the central belt in between Glasgow and Edinburgh with adequate rail links to both cities.

Iain G
07-06-2017, 01:04 PM
They're not going to play Semi finals and Finals in Edinburgh when the likely hood is its going to involve at least 1 of the Glasgow 2. Similar as to why a new Perth or Stirling ground won't happen.

I like Hampden for location, easy motorway access, good coach parking and a train station for each end. Plenty social clubs and pubs etc too. Best option would be to bulldose existing, play at Parkhead for a season or two and re-develop. No reason we can't have a purpose built 60000+ capacity ground. This will likely just be an SFA tactic to save a few quid on the next lease and we'll be playing at the existing Hampden til 2040.

If it's a Celtic semi final you play at ibrox, Rangers at Parkhead, if it's both then Newcastle isnt too far away 😁

iwasthere1972
07-06-2017, 01:06 PM

I haven't run for about 20 years so count me out.

SanFranHibs
07-06-2017, 01:19 PM

And I'm sure those small towns would relish the prospect of 50k+ fans, especially if it were a Celtic/Rangers match, invading their communities.

Hampden is the home of the Scottish National team and should remain so. Knock it down and rebuild one anyone would like to go to. However, I want one designed for watching football, not athletics.

iwasthere1972
07-06-2017, 01:22 PM

Agree. Bathgate, Stirling, Perth etc. No thanks. Hampden is fine but is outdated compared to other national stadiums. Modernisation is all that's required.

ancient hibee
07-06-2017, 01:23 PM
And where would the SFA get the money to build a new stadium again?

iwasthere1972
07-06-2017, 01:25 PM
And where would the SFA get the money to build a new stadium again?

Rent a cash cow. The money will roll in with donations.

Iain G
07-06-2017, 01:37 PM
Rent a cash cow. The money will roll in with donations.

Get Craig Whyte to manage the redevelopment of it as he seems to be good at finding money :agree:

anon1875
07-06-2017, 01:43 PM
Has to be in Glasgow, home of football in Scotland.

WhileTheChief..
07-06-2017, 02:13 PM
^^Agreed.

Folk on here were moaning recently about Hamden having Rangers or Celtic ends.

Now they'd rather have the us play at their stadiums meaning that more money goes to them. Exactly the opposite of what most people think should happen.

The location of Hampden is fine but it would be brilliant to have a shiny new stadium in its place.

hibs#1
07-06-2017, 02:18 PM
As much as I'd like them to build a big new stadium in Stirling.it just wouldn't work can't think of any suitable sites here. Perth would be a terrible idea as would Bathgate. Redeveloping hampden would be the best option especially if they get good designer in.

cabbageandribs1875
07-06-2017, 02:37 PM
don't think some people realise, i believe the rates for the hampden ground area are going to rocket skywards, the rates won't come down due to having a shiny new stadium on the same area, although i'm sure the SFA will decide just to continue leasing hampden, what would be good though is if they refurbish what's now become known as the Hibs end(three-tiered stand) and leave the west as it is :greengrin

JimBHibees
07-06-2017, 02:43 PM
Has to be in Glasgow, home of football in Scotland.

How is it?

MKHIBEE
07-06-2017, 04:36 PM
If it's a Celtic semi final you play at ibrox, Rangers at Parkhead, if it's both then Newcastle isnt too far away 😁

if it's both then Nicaragua isn't too far away

Carheenlea
07-06-2017, 04:46 PM
When you look at the challenges that a lot of clubs face with space when redeveloping their stadiums, the Hampden site is huge, and a magnificent stadium could be built to in whatever design they liked.
The opportunity to do so has probably long gone.

LancashireHibby
07-06-2017, 04:58 PM
Bulldoze Hampden and rebuild a proper football ground in it's place. Would probably find that it would improve access at the east end as well as a rectangular stadium with steeper stands would take up a lot less space than the current footprint. The thought of permanent cup finals at Ibrox or Parkhead isn't very enticing to me.

ancient hibee
07-06-2017, 06:27 PM
And who would pay for this wonderful edifice?

NAE NOOKIE
07-06-2017, 06:29 PM
The big problem the SFA has is the Celtic v The Rangers semi final or final matches ..... There is no way on earth that Edinburgh City Council would countenance such a match being played in the city and short of the clubs tossing a coin for home advantage the only viable option is Hampden.

Its interesting that cost appears to be a factor regarding the SFA's continuing use of Hampden ..... Apart from the odd pop concert exactly where does the stadiums finance come from? I would imagine if it was to lose Scotland matches and cup semis and finals their profits would take a massive hit ..... If you ask me the SFA must surely be in a position to renegotiate its relationship with the stadiums owners to their advantage.

Its absolutely barmy that Rugby, a game which lags miles behind football in the psyche of the Scottish public, was able to build a stadium like Murrayfield and yet the guys who run the beautiful game have failed so miserably to make anything out of Hampden. The biggest joke is that the stadium has received millions in renovation grants over the years purely on the basis that Scotland use it for football matches and it hosts cup finals ... Don't tell me Queens Park would have been given that money so that an amateur football club could play in front of 300 folk in a modernised 50,000 capacity stadium.

On that basis its mental that the SFA have to pay anything at all to host matches in a stadium that only exists even in its current unsuitable and tired form because of them, without that it would have become a rusting hulk of a death trap and probably have fallen down on its own years ago ..... it beggars belief then that the SFA allowed themselves to still be in a position where they have to pay for its use when they are the only reason it is still standing.

Its high time the SFA got their house in order and found a way to rebuild Hampden in the basis that they became at a minimum joint owners of it and if the current owners refuse such a prospect then the SFA should find a way to build a new stadium elsewhere that would rival Hampden not only because it would become home of Scotland's major football matches, but also because it would become a modern and preferable venue for pop concerts and the like.

ancient hibee
07-06-2017, 06:34 PM
Pie in the sky.Where would the SFA get the money to buy the land big enough to build a stadium never mind the funds to build it?

Pretty Boy
07-06-2017, 06:44 PM
There's going to be a lot of unused stadiums after the 2022 WC that could be packed up and reconstructed.

I don't think that friendly v Qatar was for no reason. Cheap price and a sponsorship deal with a friendly airline to help cover the costs.

Topographic Hibby
07-06-2017, 07:40 PM
We are kinda stuck with Hampden for many of the reasons set out here so far. The real problem is that Scotland has three football stadia and one rugby ground in the 50,000+ zone, followed by grounds such as ER, the Budge-Bowl and new-Pittodrie in the 20k mark. There is nothing inbetween to accommodate internationals, cup finals and semis that will take in 20-35k fans.

Fans have to be shoe-horned into a stadium that holds insufficient seats; or play the game at a mega-stadium that looks half-full. All the decent sized stadiums are located in cities which have a history of decent sized clubs and supporters attending games.

Furthermore, I dont want us to be saddled with the debt and funding problem of rennovating ER to add, say, 5k+ onto our ground, simply to plug this gap. What would the national stadium in Stirling or Perth be used for apart from a few hundred watching Albion or 2k turning up for a SJ game (who are doing OK just now, but will that last if/when Tommy Wright leaves?). Is that really money well spent?

No solutions here I'm afraid. As I said at the outset, we are stuck with what we have.

WhileTheChief..
07-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Pie in the sky.Where would the SFA get the money to buy the land big enough to build a stadium never mind the funds to build it?

I don't think building a new stadium is even remotely being considered as an option.

Their options are Hampden or no national stadium. They'll have a 'review' and then come out stating that all things considered they'll stay at Hampden.

Bishop Hibee
07-06-2017, 08:32 PM
And who would pay for this wonderful edifice?

Money can be found for trams, concert halls, the refurbishment of Lizzie's council house, £435 billion bail out of the finance sector. £250m for a world class venue is chump change 😉

Renfrew_Hibby
07-06-2017, 08:49 PM
The palace of Westminster is getting billions spent on it over the next few years so come on!

Sell off Hampden and use the profits to further enhance Easter Road, Tynie and a new Dons ground. Develope the main stand at Celtic and fix the roof at Ibrox and hey presto!

ancient hibee
07-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Money can be found for trams, concert halls, the refurbishment of Lizzie's council house, £435 billion bail out of the finance sector. £250m for a world class venue is chump change 😉

Quite right.I'm fully in favour of the tax payer bailing out the financially incontinent industry that is Scottish football.

The_Horde
07-06-2017, 10:33 PM
Murrayfield would be great for this. Make it happen!

leithsansiro
08-06-2017, 04:46 PM
In terms of stadiums, attending any event at Murrayfield is miles ahead of Hampden. During the week, it's constantly used as a corporate / training course venue and the income from such events keeps things ticking over. Hampden is a huge, soulless arena that belongs in a forgotten era. However, Murrayfield is never going to be hosting Scotland football matches or Scottish Cup finals

lord bunberry
08-06-2017, 08:14 PM
I must say I like hampden, but compared to other national stadiums it is a bit outdated. My preference would be for a renovation of the existing stadium.

Lancs Harp
08-06-2017, 08:19 PM
I must say I like hampden, but compared to other national stadiums it is a bit outdated. My preference would be for a renovation of the existing stadium.

I would agree with this. As a "foreigner" there is something about Hampden, its history, its atmoshere, its Scotlands football teams home. I watched football all over the place and Hampden, although dated is still avery special place. Even more so after 2016.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2017, 08:26 PM
Am I the only person who thinks Murrayfield is a pretty crap stadium? Seems to have an almost mythical status simply because it's not Hampden.

Lancs Harp
08-06-2017, 08:29 PM
Am I the only person who thinks Murrayfield is a pretty crap stadium? Seems to have an almost mythical status simply because it's not Hampden.

Murrayfield is a great rugby stadium. :wink:

GreenCastle
08-06-2017, 08:37 PM
I don't think building a new stadium is even remotely being considered as an option.

Their options are Hampden or no national stadium. They'll have a 'review' and then come out stating that all things considered they'll stay at Hampden.

Agreed - think it's Hampden or no Hampden.

The annoying thing is they redeveloped it I think with the Commonwealth games in mind. While that was a good event...football which is its main customer needs better for cup finals and internationals - something like Millennium Stadium in Cardiff would be perfect for atmosphere.

Lancs Harp
08-06-2017, 08:47 PM
If you rebuilt Hampden how big (capacity wise) would you build it?

iwasthere1972
08-06-2017, 08:55 PM
If you rebuilt Hampden how big (capacity wise) would you build it?

60K would be ideal.

mca
08-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Ship has sailed on a new one I'm afraid. It should've been built on the old BL site at Bathgate years ago but the SFA would never allow it to be built outside Glasgow.

They (sfa) were Also offered a whole Free Site at Ravenscraig... Which they Refused ( Contaminated land ) i think was the excuse

Now a Sports center or college.. God it been a while since i was in Bucky land .. :wink:

Nakedmanoncrack
08-06-2017, 10:20 PM

It isn't great, but because it's in Edinburgh it suits those with an anti-Glasgow bias to hype it up. Hampden is the home of Scottish football, again it's not a great stadium, and is clearly dated, but not nearly as bad as people make out. As for wanting to move to a field near Perth or Stirling, utterly ridiculous and can only be motivated by the same prejudice.

Lancs Harp
08-06-2017, 10:36 PM
Before Wembley was rebuilt there was always rumours, stories and intiatives circulating at the relocation to a more central point for the national stadium but I dont think they were ever serious. Glasgow and Hampden is the home of Scottish football and IMO so it should remain so. Im English but there is something very special about Hampden, a special atmoshere, one even though often very anti English an atmosphere you can get off on (not in a sexual context) Im not sure that could be replicated in another ground.

iwasthere1972
08-06-2017, 10:53 PM
This thread reminds me of the time when there was talk of us (Hibs) moving from Easter Road to Straiton. Thank goodness that didn't materialise for various reasons. A stadium in the sticks with very few pubs, if any, in the immediate vicinity. Transport would have been a nightmare too with very few buses servicing that area. Plus no 'Sunshine on Leith'

Back to Hampden. Can't see there being any changes and it will continue to be The National Stadium for years to come whether its modernisation or a new build.

Brightside
08-06-2017, 11:18 PM
Scotland has no need for a national stadium. Total waste of money.

TelaStella
09-06-2017, 12:23 AM
First of all Murrayfield is for rugby and football at a national level shouldn't be played there.

I have been of the opinion for a while now that something needs to change, preferably knocking the current Hampden down and redeveloping it into a better ground. As much as us Edinburgh folk hate to admit it, Hampden and Glasgow for that matter is the home of Scottish football and has been for years now, these suggestions of a new ground somewhere like Harthill are ludicrous. I do understand though that the redevelopment of Hampden is hardly a prospect by the SFA given it was only in the mid 90's the current ground was build. What is clear though that something needs to change, interesting to see what develops.

SirDavidsNapper
09-06-2017, 06:41 AM
Hampden will be the national stadium until Rangers and Celtic decide they want a cut of the national teams revenue by playing games at Ibrox and Parkhead.

Since90+2
09-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Hampden will be the national stadium until Rangers and Celtic decide they want a cut of the national teams revenue by playing games at Ibrox and Parkhead.

If it was as simple as that why woudnt they want the revenue now?

Blaster
09-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Leave the south stand as it is and replace the 3 other stands with 2-tiered stands. Bring the east and west stands closer to the pitch and remove that big space.

Capacity around 60-65k.

green&left
09-06-2017, 08:34 AM
Leave the south stand as it is and replace the 3 other stands with 2-tiered stands. Bring the east and west stands closer to the pitch and remove that big space.

Capacity around 60-65k.

Noticed Hertha Berlin and the German government are considering similar plans for the Olympiastadion, although Berliners polled seem against the idea of altering the exisiting historical stadium.

One proposed plan is curtain off the furthest away rows/tier when not in use to make the stadium feel more enclosed (curtains can be removed for matches that require full capacity), dig down 5 meters and build a new tier below the current level so fans are closer to the pitch.

http://i.imgur.com/ilRqBb5.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/H7ZTWcP.jpg

2 proposal is to knock down half the original bottom tier and rebuild it steeper/deeper again to get closer to the pitch

http://i.imgur.com/8CbizBu.gif
http://i.imgur.com/Fcop7wj.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/TLqJd1q.jpg

Original pic to compare with
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/33/2009-04-07_Berlin_Olympiastadion_549.jpg/1280px-2009-04-07_Berlin_Olympiastadion_549.jpg

where'stheslope
09-06-2017, 09:32 AM
Hart Hill Services is about as far as the GFA would move east!

Its all been said before, Glasgow is the home of Scottish Football and there it will always stay.

The rest of us have just to play away games to the Uglies in their home city in major cup games!!!!

Since90+2
09-06-2017, 11:07 AM
Hart Hill Services is about as far as the GFA would move east!

Its all been said before, Glasgow is the home of Scottish Football and there it will always stay.

The rest of us have just to play away games to the Uglies in their home city in major cup games!!!!

To a certain extent they are correct that Glasgow is the home of Scottish football. By far the two biggest and most supported clubs in the country are from that city and the majority of football supporters in Scotland stay in the greater Glasgow area.

where'stheslope
09-06-2017, 06:53 PM
To a certain extent they are correct that Glasgow is the home of Scottish football. By far the two biggest and most supported clubs in the country are from that city and the majority of football supporters in Scotland stay in the greater Glasgow area.

Not sure about the majority stay in Glasgow, buses come to Glasgow from all over Scotland, Ireland and England for their games?

The affection from the GFA for them, is the only logical reason for us all having to put up with a second rate National Stadium!!!!!

CentreLine
09-06-2017, 06:59 PM
Couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread but Stirling in sight of the Wallace monument should be the location

iwasthere1972
09-06-2017, 07:08 PM
Couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread but Stirling in sight of the Wallace monument should be the location

Just move the Wallace monument to Hampden. Cheaper.

CentreLine
09-06-2017, 07:17 PM
Just move the Wallace monument to Hampden. Cheaper.

Fair point 😂

NAE NOOKIE
10-06-2017, 12:21 PM
They (sfa) were Also offered a whole Free Site at Ravenscraig... Which they Refused ( Contaminated land ) i think was the excuse

Now a Sports center or college.. God it been a while since i was in Bucky land .. :wink:

I've played walking football at Ravenscraig a few times recently and its a magnificent facility with a full sized indoor football pitch, in fact I think it might be two as its comprised of two joined buildings of equal size, I've only been inside one half though so cant be sure.

A fortune was spent on it for the Commonwealth school sports day ... sorry I mean Commonwealth Games :greengrin If the powers that be could be encouraged to part with even half the money they spent on the Commonwealth games we would have a national stadium to be proud of.

I know that any second now someone will come along and tell me there are more important things to spend public money on, but the truth is that that has always been the case. Even so governments still commit money to projects that aren't just about societies basic needs, all around the world national and local administrations pump billions into sport and the arts every year because these things are also seen as important to how a society feels about itself and in some cases national or local prestige .... why should Scotland, part of allegedly the 5th richest economy in the world, be any different?

What shouldn't be forgotten either is that projects like this provide jobs and money making opportunities for local firms and people as they are under construction, they are good for the local economy and businesses once completed.... perhaps a new or renovated Hampden would attract more European finals and more global music superstars ..... its not all just about chucking money away for nothing.

Dashing Bob S
10-06-2017, 12:53 PM
Prior to May 21st 2016 I would say bulldoze into the dust and make Murrayfield the national stadium.

Since that date keep it unchanged forever as a shrine.

Keith_M
10-06-2017, 06:22 PM
Wales did the right thing in having a single National Stadium used for both Football and Rugby.

When Murrayfield was 3/4 finished, the SRU offered the SFA the chance to come in as partners and help finance the completion of the Stadium, with the SFA becoming joint owners.

The SFA representative's response was "Glasgow is the home of Scottish Football, not Edinburgh". They then proceeded to rebuild Hampden on the cheap...and gifted it to Queens Park!

Cocaine&Caviar
10-06-2017, 07:01 PM
The SFA representative's response was "Glasgow is the home of Scottish Football, not Edinburgh". They then proceeded to rebuild Hampden on the cheap...and gifted it to Queens Park!

Reference source for that reference please.

Haymaker
10-06-2017, 07:06 PM
Wales did the right thing in having a single National Stadium used for both Football and Rugby.

Pretty sure they only play the big games there otherwise they use the Cardiff stadium? I may be wrong but I'm sure they use cc stadium mostly.

iwasthere1972
10-06-2017, 07:27 PM
Pretty sure they only play the big games there otherwise they use the Cardiff stadium? I may be wrong but I'm sure they use cc stadium mostly.

They started using CC stadium back in 2009 as the attendances at their games at The Millennium Stadium were only about 20-40% of capacity. They do use The Millennium Stadium (or whatever it's now called) for the bigger games such as England recently.

Haymaker
10-06-2017, 08:06 PM
They started using CC stadium back in 2009 as the attendances at their games at The Millennium Stadium were only about 20-40% of capacity. They do use The Millennium Stadium (or whatever it's now called) for the bigger games such as England recently.

Cheers, thought so.

Smartie
10-06-2017, 08:27 PM

Does the Millennium Stadium get used much?

A couple of rugby Internationals a year and a football game every so often doesn't really justify having a 90,000 seater stadium in a city centre, does it?

I know there is the odd concert and so on there, but the danger with a lot of these stadia is that whilst they're all well and good when they're being used, they spend an awful lot of the time lying unused.

LancashireHibby
10-06-2017, 08:55 PM
Does the Millennium Stadium get used much?

A couple of rugby Internationals a year and a football game every so often doesn't really justify having a 90,000 seater stadium in a city centre, does it?

I know there is the odd concert and so on there, but the danger with a lot of these stadia is that whilst they're all well and good when they're being used, they spend an awful lot of the time lying unused.

A quick look at their website suggests that Robbie Williams, Justin Beiber and Coldplay are all performing there over the summer along with a speedway Grand Prix. Will of course be the autumn RU internationals following on from the Six Nations earlier in the year, the Welsh domestic finals and I think one or two of the bigger Pro12 games. Dare say the Champions League final made them a few quid although obviously that's something that isn't likely to happen again any time soon. Would expect that their conferencing facilities will be especially busy given its location in the city centre. A redeveloped Hampden wouldn't be able the conferencing use but I'm sure the sporting events would be much more frequent.

mca
10-06-2017, 10:31 PM
I've played walking football at Ravenscraig a few times recently and its a magnificent facility with a full sized indoor football pitch, in fact I think it might be two as its comprised of two joined buildings of equal size, I've only been inside one half though so cant be sure.

A fortune was spent on it for the Commonwealth school sports day ... sorry I mean Commonwealth Games :greengrin If the powers that be could be encouraged to part with even half the money they spent on the Commonwealth games we would have a national stadium to be proud of.

I know that any second now someone will come along and tell me there are more important things to spend public money on, but the truth is that that has always been the case. Even so governments still commit money to projects that aren't just about societies basic needs, all around the world national and local administrations pump billions into sport and the arts every year because these things are also seen as important to how a society feels about itself and in some cases national or local prestige .... why should Scotland, part of allegedly the 5th richest economy in the world, be any different?

What shouldn't be forgotten either is that projects like this provide jobs and money making opportunities for local firms and people as they are under construction, they are good for the local economy and businesses once completed.... perhaps a new or renovated Hampden would attract more European finals and more global music superstars ..... its not all just about chucking money away for nothing.

I Haven't Seen the Ravenscraig stadia / College ( Whatever it is ) Since the Early days of building works..

But it Looked to be Huge !!! The SFA were Offered @ Very Large Piece of land and about 50 million to redevelop Hampden there..

They Refused and = We Got the New Hampden..

Ravenscraig development meant they would get a Massive 70- 100k stadia for allsorts ( Running track, Concerts etc ) Tax free for Donkey Years !!!

I Helped with the Wildlife Study for this.. and The Land was not Contaminated .. which they later claimed..

Holmesdale Hibs
11-06-2017, 08:47 PM
Big games where capacity will be filled play at Ibrox or Celtic Park.

Smaller games at Easter Roard, Tannadice, New Pittodrie and pish friendlies at New St. Mirren Park.

This

Keith_M
12-06-2017, 05:50 PM
Reference source for that reference please.

Sorry, it was in the good old days when I used to read my news in newspapers, not online.

I can guarantee he said it but I can't find it quoted online...yet.

Phil MaGlass
12-06-2017, 06:09 PM
Theres alot on here talking about glasgow being the home of Scottish fitba, ok, what happens when the two glasgow teams eventually get their wish and join the english league or an atlantic league? Will you all still want the SFA etc to be based there? I bloody wouldnt.

nellio
13-06-2017, 01:25 PM
A quick look at their website suggests that Robbie Williams, Justin Beiber and Coldplay are all performing there over the summer along with a speedway Grand Prix. Will of course be the autumn RU internationals following on from the Six Nations earlier in the year, the Welsh domestic finals and I think one or two of the bigger Pro12 games. Dare say the Champions League final made them a few quid although obviously that's something that isn't likely to happen again any time soon. Would expect that their conferencing facilities will be especially busy given its location in the city centre. A redeveloped Hampden wouldn't be able the conferencing use but I'm sure the sporting events would be much more frequent.

Used to liv 15 mins walk away from it. Get's used all the time for all sorts of things. It houses large conference style rooms so there are often job fairs and things there as well. Used for concerts the speedway GP, WRC has used it for rallying as well as magic weekend a few times. Rugby leauve world cup games were there as well as rugby union. WRU use it for 6 nations and also autumn tests. There is also the Judgement day games in the pro 12 where 2 Welsh derby games are played back to back. Also good for boxing because of the roof. Talk of NFL having a game there as well. Great stadium and probably used more than other national stadiums due to the roof. Seems to attract more diverse events such as WRC etc.

nellio
13-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Used to live 15 mins walk away from it. Gets used all the time for all sorts of things. It houses large conference style rooms so there are often job fairs and things there as well. Christmas parties etc. Used for concerts the speedway GP, WRC has used it for rallying as well as magic weekend a few times. Rugby leauve world cup games were there as well as rugby union. WRU use it for 6 nations and also autumn tests. There is also the Judgement day games in the pro 12 where 2 Welsh derby games are played back to back. Also good for boxing because of the roof. Talk of NFL having a game there as well. Great stadium and probably used more than other national stadiums due to the roof. Seems to attract more diverse events such as WRC etc.

Wales football uses the CCS as they can easily sell 33k tickets but if they were to sell 40-50K in the mill stad it still seems empty.

My_Wife_Camille
13-06-2017, 01:31 PM
Agree, it's a *****hole/

Hampden Park is a horrific football stadium bit it has been the home of Scottish Football for over 100 years. Moving from Hampden would be like Hibs moving from Easter Road. Apart from that, Hampden Park gave me one of the best moments of my life so it's thumbs up for me

.Sean.
13-06-2017, 01:53 PM
Am I the only person that likes Hampden? It's historic and I enjoyed the best moment of my life in the place. It's fine for watching a game or two of football in every year or so. I honestly don't think the cups would be the same anywhere else. Perhaps a rebuild but I wouldn't like it to move.

Murrayfields a toilet and sack giving any cash to posh rugger types.

And as for renting Celtic Park/ Ibrox for semi's etc - no chance. The rich getting richer (not in Rangers case but **** lining their pockets)

Keith_M
13-06-2017, 03:07 PM
Am I the only person that likes Hampden? It's historic and I enjoyed the best moment of my life in the place. It's fine for watching a game or two of football in every year or so. I honestly don't think the cups would be the same anywhere else. Perhaps a rebuild but I wouldn't like it to move.

And as for renting Celtic Park/ Ibrox for semi's etc - no chance. The rich getting richer (not in Rangers case but **** lining their pockets)

Nonsense.

WeeRussell
13-06-2017, 04:27 PM

(One day I'll learn to bold the first line on my phone)

No you're not. I have absolutely no issue with hampden, and have enjoyed the best football atmospheres of my life there.

Nakedmanoncrack
14-06-2017, 04:52 PM
Hampden isn't as bad as some make out - but one thing that I hated about it on Saturday was the seats left unsold at the front of North and West. Massive demand for tickets, yet you turn up and there are hundreds empty. I can only assume this is something to do with bigger electronic advertising boards making these seats restricted view? Could see on TV that they did same at Scottish cup final but not to such an extent.

LancashireHibby
14-06-2017, 07:45 PM
Hampden isn't as bad as some make out - but one thing that I hated about it on Saturday was the seats left unsold at the front of North and West. Massive demand for tickets, yet you turn up and there are hundreds empty. I can only assume this is something to do with bigger electronic advertising boards making these seats restricted view? Could see on TV that they did same at Scottish cup final but not to such an extent.

Wasn't in only in the Dons end at the cup final?

Nakedmanoncrack
15-06-2017, 10:09 AM
Wasn't in only in the Dons end at the cup final?

Thats the way it looked, first 5 rows of West not sold.

Colr
15-06-2017, 10:28 AM

Yup. Cardiff is brilliant on a match day.

Could always ground share with Spurs!! We got a full stadium at Arsenal a few years back!!