PDA

View Full Version : Best of the last three cup winning teams?

heidtheba
06-06-2017, 04:42 PM
OK ladies and gents, what would your best XI be from the last two league cup winning teams and the SC team?

Logan

Gray Hanlon McGregor Whittaker

Weir McGeough McGinn Stevenson

Stokes Wright

Henderson
Cummings
Fyvie
Fontaine
Jones

jeffers
06-06-2017, 04:49 PM
OK ladies and gents, what would your best XI be from the last two league cup winning teams and the SC team?

Logan

Stokes Wright

Henderson
Cummings
Fyvie
Fontaine
Jones

No David Murphy ? Scott Brown ?

hfc rd
06-06-2017, 04:50 PM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Jones
Whittaker

Zemamna
Weir
Brown
McGinn
Murphy

Wright

heidtheba
06-06-2017, 04:58 PM
No David Murphy ? Scott Brown ?

Murphy I swithered over but, to my eternal shame, I got my Brown/Thomson mixed up...

Tricla
06-06-2017, 05:00 PM
Boozy and Murdo?

jeffers
06-06-2017, 05:07 PM
Murphy I swithered over but, to my eternal shame, I got my Brown/Thomson mixed up...

I suppose you just need to look at the Fyvie thread to see how opinions differ over a player. I'd need to look at the teams for the various finals to remember all the players but Murphy and Brown were the two who jumped out for me that I'd have definitely included. Murphy is the best left back I've seen in a Hibs jersey for a long long time and the Scott Brown of Hibs one of the most exciting midfielders I've seen.

Mr White
06-06-2017, 07:42 PM
Burridge

Gray
Hanlon
McGregor
Murphy

Weir
McGinlay
Brown
McGinn

Wright
Stokes

hibby6270
06-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Burridge

Gray
Hanlon
McGregor
Murphy

Weir
McGinlay
Brown
McGinn

Wright
Stokes

This is pretty good - but I'd put Jones in for Hanlon and possibly Benji or Fletcher in for Stokes.

Opinions, opinions eh?

Mr White
06-06-2017, 09:25 PM
This is pretty good - but I'd put Jones in for Hanlon and possibly Benji or Fletcher in for Stokes.

Opinions, opinions eh?

Funnily enough I considered those very choices but I think my picks were mainly swayed by the fact that 91 was my first and 2016 was the best so 2007 was somewhat unfairly bumped down the pecking order :greengrin

And with Stokes well that overall cup final display was a work of art by any measure let alone the context of hibs players in Scottish cup finals so for that reason alone I'd have him up top with Keith Keith Keith!

Smartie
06-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Burridge

Gray
Hunter
Jones
Murphy

Weir
Brown
McGinlay
Henderson

Benji
Stokes

What a team that would be.

Fergos
06-06-2017, 09:45 PM
Burridge

Gray
Hanlon
McGregor
Murphy

Weir
McGinlay
Brown
McGinn

Wright
Stokes

Thats a very decent team likes.

Am I the one getting excited about these fictional line ups even though there is nae chance of them ever happening?

GGTTH

Jones28
06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
I don't think you could replace any of the 07 cup team, the only ones I would change is possibly Mcleoud for whoever partnered Jones at CB and Budgie in goal. Logan, Stokesy, Weir, Wright, McGregor and McGinn would make up the bench with Zemmama.

3pm
06-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Stokes

Oxley
Gunnarson
Henderson
Bartley
Boyle
Keatings
Dagnall

Roxyhibee
06-06-2017, 10:01 PM
David Murphy is the best left back I've seen at Hibs in fifty years of supporting (just shades Schaeds for me..)

Lewis, as likeable and loyal etc, is simply miles behind him as a left back.

hibby6270
06-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Logan

Gray
McGregor
Hanlon
Fontaine
Stevenson

Fyvie
McGinn
McGeouch

Cummings
Stokes

Oxley
Gunnarson
Henderson
Bartley
Boyle
Keatings
Dagnall

Aye. See what you've done there. V clever.
We'll never get a line up this good to win a cup!!

Oh wait...........!!!!

angus hibby
06-06-2017, 10:09 PM
Burridge

Whittaker
McGregor
Hanlon
Murphy

Brown
Beuzelin
McGinn
McGeouch

Stokes
Fletcher

Jumbo
06-06-2017, 10:39 PM
Whit, no one has mentioned Brian Hamilton yet :na na:

KWJ
06-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Budgie

Gray
Hanlon
McG
Murph

Brown
Mcgeouch
McGinley
Fyvie

Fletcher
Wright.

Maybe. So many.

magpie1892
06-06-2017, 11:17 PM
Whit, no one has mentioned Brian Hamilton yet :na na:

His wife (no idea if they're still together) was an absolutely top-drawer snog. No chance of a ride though, in that boozer near Firhill at 2.40pm early 1990s before the match v. Jags...

My chat-up line: 'redheads absolutely slay me'. Can't believe it worked.

jacomo
06-06-2017, 11:22 PM
This is fun!

Ivan's taking a pasting so far :hilarious

Logan

Gray mcGregor Hanlon Murphy

Boozy

Ivan Brown McGinn

Fletcher Stokes

Sorry old timers!

heidtheba
07-06-2017, 12:09 AM
His wife (no idea if they're still together) was an absolutely top-drawer snog. No chance of a ride though, in that boozer near Firhill at 2.40pm early 1990s before the match v. Jags...

My chat-up line: 'redheads absolutely slay me'. Can't believe it worked.

Just when I needed google images to pay off as well!

Dashing Bob S
07-06-2017, 12:48 AM
Based on performances in the actual finals:

McNeil
Gray
Jones
McGregor
Stevenson
Fyvie
Brown
Boozy
McGinn
Wright
Stokes

California-Hibs
07-06-2017, 03:41 AM

Logan

Stokes Wright

Henderson
Cummings
Fyvie
Fontaine
Jones

Your midfield couldn't be more wrong. As mentioned....no Scott Brown??

California-Hibs
07-06-2017, 03:43 AM
Burridge

Gray
Hunter
Jones
Murphy

Weir
Brown
McGinlay
Henderson

Benji
Stokes

What a team that would be.

Wow, you're spot on there! Fantastic team that would completely boss it!

jacomo
07-06-2017, 08:21 AM
Your midfield couldn't be more wrong. As mentioned....no Scott Brown??

Don't be a wrong un.

There isn't a single right answer to this IMO. It's just a bit of fun. Lighten up FFS.

tamig
07-06-2017, 10:17 AM
Budgie in goals without a doubt. Logan and McNeill couldn't lace his boots.

KWJ
07-06-2017, 10:22 AM

Have you tried doing up laces with goalie gloves on? Absolute nightmare.

tamig
07-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Have you tried doing up laces with goalie gloves on? Absolute nightmare.

Budgie did everything with his gloves on. Man is a goalkeeping legend 😀

Shrekko
07-06-2017, 12:41 PM

You not think his quirky personality was the reason most fans remember him fondly?

Incredibly average smallish goalie in my book who'd obviously seen better days. He wasn't terrible but very rarely did anything out of the ordinary.

southsider
07-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Budgie did everything with his gloves on. Man is a goalkeeping legend 😀
His wife used to throw oranges at him when they were watching Coronation Street !

HibernianJK
07-06-2017, 02:17 PM
Only seen the last 2 but.

Logan

Whittaker
Jones
Hanlon
Murphy

Mcginn
Mecgeouch
Brown
Boozy

Fletcher
Cummings

hibs#1
07-06-2017, 02:20 PM
The 07 team would beat the Scottish cup winning team comfortably.

Dashing Bob S
07-06-2017, 02:26 PM
The 07 team would beat the Scottish cup winning team comfortably.

I also think they would prevail unless they badly froze on the day.

Mr White
07-06-2017, 02:48 PM
You not think his quirky personality was the reason most fans remember him fondly?

Incredibly average smallish goalie in my book who'd obviously seen better days. He wasn't terrible but very rarely did anything out of the ordinary.

I'd say he was quite a bit better than average. He was also exactly what we needed at the time. That same squad of players finished a couple of points off the bottom of the table just a few months before that cup win. We sold Paul Wright, Andy Goram and Keith Houchen and brought in Keith and Budgie and those were the only changes. Obviously Keith's goals were massive for us but Budgie transformed that dressing room and helped instill a belief amongst some fairly average players that they could improve and succeed. His performance in the semi final was a great goalkeeping display against 3 top strikers and of course he set the tone that evening before the teams were even out the tunnel.

There was a big transformation in the atmosphere around the club in summer 1991 and Budgie played a massive part in that IMO.

tamig
07-06-2017, 03:40 PM

Don't be fooled by the long list of teams he played for. Most of his games were in the top flight and even at 40 when he joined us I'd say he was still well above average. He was a whisker away from signing for Man U earlier in his career so he was no mug - despite his eccentricities. Take a read at his book. Some great stuff in there. Different class to the other two keepers that won the cups.

Hibbycol
07-06-2017, 07:11 PM
Cannot pick a best off ! For me all the three teams 91, 07 , 16 are legends to be remembered and reveard . They played for the mighty hibernian and won WINNERS MEDALS so again cannot choose between them .

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Onceinawhile
07-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Budgie

Whittaker
Murdo
Jones
Murphy

Sproule
Brown
McGinley
Weir

Fletch
Stokes

Mr White
07-06-2017, 07:56 PM
Budgie

Whittaker
Murdo
Jones
Murphy

Sproule
Brown
McGinley
Weir

Fletch
Stokes

Did murdo mcleod ever play in defence? I only recall him ever playing in midfield.

Hutchie
08-06-2017, 04:41 AM
Based on final performance itself. Can't believe nobody has Lewis in centre mid. Mom that day.

Budgie

Gray
Jones
McGregor
Stevenson

Brown
Mcginn
Stevenson
McGinlay

Stokes
Benji

jacomo
08-06-2017, 06:34 AM
Based on final performance itself. Can't believe nobody has Lewis in centre mid. Mom that day.

Budgie

Gray
Jones
McGregor
Stevenson

Brown
Mcginn
Stevenson
McGinlay

Stokes
Benji

So good you picked him twice.

:wink:

Spike Mandela
08-06-2017, 07:57 AM

Motm chosen by Ian McCall. Cleary chosen because he was just a young lad who held his nerve and played well but nowhere near motm that day. Several players deserved that accolade ahead of him including my personal choice of Whittaker for his constant running and assists.

2 goal Fletch, 2 goal Benji, Boozy, Jones, Murphy and the outstanding Scott Brown all ahead of him imo.

Roxyhibee
08-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Motm chosen by Ian McCall. Cleary chosen because he was just a young lad who held his nerve and played well but nowhere near motm that day. Several players deserved that accolade ahead of him including my personal choice of Whittaker for his constant running and assists.

2 goal Fletch, 2 goal Benji, Boozy, Jones, Murphy and the outstanding Scott Brown all ahead of him imo.

Absolutley correct. It's always amusing when people really believe Stevenson was the best player on the park.! He even said himself he got it for being the youngest. He did great but he wasn't even in the top 6 or 7. Murphy was my motm - he and Brown started to calm things down and control play at the start of the second half, Boozy's holding and distribution was brilliant, Fletcher, Benji (who Murphy said was the motm and won it for us). Whittakers attacking and link up play was a constant threat and of course, Rob Jones leading with that goal in the swirling snow. What a talented team that was.

Smartie
08-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Absolutley correct. It's always amusing when people really believe Stevenson was the best player on the park.! He even said himself he got it for being the youngest. He did great but he wasn't even in the top 6 or 7. Murphy was my motm - he and Brown started to calm things down and control play at the start of the second half, Boozy's holding and distribution was brilliant, Fletcher, Benji (who Murphy said was the motm and won it for us). Whittakers attacking and link up play was a constant threat and of course, Rob Jones leading with that goal in the swirling snow. What a talented team that was.

It was a stonking team performance that day, with no weaknesses.

Stevenson played his part, a big part, and I think he has a fair claim to the MOTM title along with 6 or 7 others. I don't think he has any less of a claim than any other player whilst accepting he wasn't head and shoulders above everyone else.

Hutchie
08-06-2017, 08:54 PM

Fair enough. Stevenson was excellent and was awarded mom. He will always have that accolade. However your points and other posters are valid and I agree to some extent without overlooking Lewis.
Plus I couldn't resist putting him in twice :p

Baader
08-06-2017, 09:04 PM
Based on performances on finals days I'd have to put Tommy McIntyre in as centre half with big Rob Jones.

Roxyhibee
08-06-2017, 10:44 PM
Fair enough. Stevenson was excellent and was awarded mom. He will always have that accolade. However your points and other posters are valid and I agree to some extent without overlooking Lewis.
Plus I couldn't resist putting him in twice :p

Honestly don't grudge Lewis his motm at all that day - he was excellent. And although other players for me were far more influential in the victory, it's clear if you asked a dozen or so Hibs fans who their motm was, you'd get 8 or 9 different players named.

They were all so good, and as you and Smarties said, why not give it to the youngest.. fair enough too.

Great great day. Strangely remember far more about that whole day than 21/5/16.. and I was sober at both. The emotion last year was on hazy overload mode.