PDA

View Full Version : How did it all start

LukeGarr
06-06-2017, 09:08 AM
How did everyone gain their love for Hibs? Would be cool to know if anyone is a 4th, 5th or even 6th generation Hibee.

HIBERNIAN-0762
06-06-2017, 09:13 AM
My Dad's side of the family weren't interested in football but on my Mum's side from what I can tell is that they were right back to the origins as my Mum's distant relatives came over from Ireland.

hibbycraig
06-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Grew up on albion road. Too close to not be Hibs.

NAE NOOKIE
06-06-2017, 09:36 AM
No Hibs interest in my family whatsoever back in the day ........ it was all my own work :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
06-06-2017, 09:41 AM
Dad a hun. Grandad a hibby. He took me to see Hibs v Rangers with my dad in circa 1973. And then kept taking me back to Easter Road before my dad's misguided influences took precedence 👍

No such difficulties with my 3 children. All at Easter Road before 3rd birthdays.

frazeHFC
06-06-2017, 09:42 AM
My grandad was an Aberdeen fan and so was my dad at an early age. My dad was a massive fan of Joe Harper and when he left Aberdeen and eventually ended up at Hibs (after a spell at Everton) my dad started supporting Hibs. He then moved to Edinburgh not long after and has been a Hibee ever since. Thank god for Harper coming to Hibs!

CallumLaidlaw
06-06-2017, 09:45 AM
My Granny and grandad were born around 1911. Granny was a Hibee, grandad was a Jambo. All the sons (5 of them) followed my Grannies lead, although I believe my dads twin went to a few Hearts games before he followed the rest of the brothers. My dad was born in 1948 and went to games regularly from around 1960.
My parents lived in Albion Terrace when I was born, and I was taken to games from a young age.

Keith_M
06-06-2017, 10:52 AM
My Father's a Hibby and was first taken to games by my Gran in the late 40's. He had two older brothers, one a Hibby and one a Jambo, so that side's quite mixed.

That would be my main influence but my friends at Primary School also supported Hibs, so that helped as well.

06-06-2017, 11:01 AM
Dads family are Rangers and Hearts Mums family not really into football but Irish Catholics supported Celtic at a very young age kind of influenced by my Irish Granny knitting me a Celtic jumper then at the age of 8 got free tickets at school for Easter Road and became a Hibee from then on

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

ahibby
06-06-2017, 11:46 AM
I was playing football as a five year old with my mothers brother who was a Celtic fan. He asked me so who do you support Celtic or Hibs? I said I'll need to ask my dad, so he said go on. I ran all the way home and asked him and he said you are a Hibs fan. So I ran back to tell my uncle and he promptly took his ball away and went indoors, typical Celtic fany spitting oot the dummy. He's a great guy though and I wish him well as I've heard he isn't keeping well these days. Anyway it was hardly surprising considering that my Grandad (fathers dad) went to see Hibs during the famous five days and he took my dad and four or five of his brothers. There were seven brothers, five supported Hibs, one Hearts and Sepie Rangers.

As a youngster and as an adult Hibs have broken my heart on a few occasions but that's how you know where your heart lies.

Niffy
06-06-2017, 11:51 AM
1st generation for me.
Brought up on Sydney Terrace, dad was a blue nose, grandad a Jambo but stayed at 302 Leith Walk (above the Harp & Castle now) and hosted parties in the 60's & 70's with lots of Hearts & Hibs players.
Dad took me to Hibs games a few times as it was close by and let me choose my team myself.

KSA Hibee
06-06-2017, 12:38 PM
My Grandad was originally from Ireland and moved to Edinburgh as a young man.. brought up his 4 Kids as Hibs fans with my Mum born in a front room directly opposite the ticket office in the 40's.

Grans family lived in Waverley Place and have since had 4 generations of the family frequent the Arty.

My man crush is Le God and I have one of the large singed black and white images of him leaning on the wall in Albion Place with the window of the room my Mum was born in on visible behind him. It has pride of place in my man cave next to numerous other Sauzee autographed memorabilia

My son and daughter carry on the tradition and are green through and through ... my first grandson born 3 months ago with dad being a "Dundee Hibernian" supporter.. he has a struggle on his hands as ALL his relatives on Mums side of the family all Cabbage fans.

SeanWilson
06-06-2017, 12:41 PM
My earliest memory of being hibs obsessed is cutting up my dads skol cup winning programme to stick bits of it on my bedroom wall. I was at the game but don't really remember.... then spent most of my free time running about my garden 'scoring' against my fence as Keith Wright... 😁

Hfcwilson3192
06-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Am 4th generation on ma faithers side ma great grandfaither was brought up in elliot street.

StevieT
06-06-2017, 02:27 PM
My grandad was an Aberdeen fan and so was my dad at an early age. My dad was a massive fan of Joe Harper and when he left Aberdeen and eventually ended up at Hibs (after a spell at Everton) my dad started supporting Hibs. He then moved to Edinburgh not long after and has been a Hibee ever since. Thank god for Harper coming to Hibs!

Never thought I would ever see these words posted on here. The start of the end of what was the best team I have ever witnessed at Easter Road.

In response to the OP, my dad was a Hibs man through and through, and I thank God that he brought me up the same. His ashes were scattered in the goal at the FF end so I know he is there every home game.

Liam6270
06-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Brought up on Lorne Street, as far as I know my great grandfather was a Hibee as far back as early 1900's, now I have 7 year old boy who is Hibs daft and he lives near Newcastle!

5 generations and more hopefully

Orchard_Hibs
06-06-2017, 03:09 PM
I'm a 5th generation hibee, my son will be a 6th. I had no choice, neither will he, was born 2 days after the cup final was going to call him David Antony but the wife overruled me.

Super_JMcGinn
06-06-2017, 03:12 PM
How did everyone gain their love for Hibs? Would be cool to know if anyone is a 4th, 5th or even 6th generation Hibee.

My dad ensured we were all Hibs fans whether we wanted to be or not by taking us to every home game possible. I have bestowed the same fate on his grandchildren :greengrin.

WestStandMoaner
06-06-2017, 03:24 PM

My family are all from Lockhend and Leith and my dad was a hibby when I was about five an older guy in my street gave me a heart scarf not really knowing any better I took it home and placed it on the coat stand in the hall. My dad and uncle arrived home and when they saw the hearts scarf all hell broke loose I was told under no uncertain terms you are a hibby and never forget it, 46 years on still supporting the hibs along with my 25 year old son

surreyhibbie
07-06-2017, 10:27 AM
first generation Hibby, none of my family were interested in the game at all.

mate who lived in the same stair as me was a wee bit older, started taking me to games when I was about 10 or 11.

Made sure my boys were brought up right though!

:thumbsup::flag:

sauzee1966
07-06-2017, 10:35 AM
went to school with a nephew of Gordon Rae, thats one influence. I lived in Manchester untl I was 11.....my first every footie game was when my late cousin Ian took me to Man Utd V Wallsall......loved it aged 9. His friend at the time ws scottish and a Hibee.....he was so passionate about the club so when I moved to Edinburgh and met my new mate at school.....it all clicked into place. Fate and a very happy 40 yrs

My Grandad was originally from Ireland and moved to Edinburgh as a young man.. brought up his 4 Kids as Hibs fans with my Mum born in a front room directly opposite the ticket office in the 40's.

Grans family lived in Waverley Place and have since had 4 generations of the family frequent the Arty.

My man crush is Le God and I have one of the large singed black and white images of him leaning on the wall in Albion Place with the window of the room my Mum was born in on visible behind him. It has pride of place in my man cave next to numerous other Sauzee autographed memorabilia

My son and daughter carry on the tradition and are green through and through ... my first grandson born 3 months ago with dad being a "Dundee Hibernian" supporter.. he has a struggle on his hands as ALL his relatives on Mums side of the family all Cabbage fans.

Forza Fred
07-06-2017, 10:39 AM
My old man was a Regimental Sergeant Major in the KOSB's which meany when a bairn I moved about a bit.
Earliest Hibs memory was of colouring in the 1958 Hibs v Clyde cup final programme when living in Melrose...presumably he had been at the game.

Remember a few Hibs supporters in my class, and watching Joe ZBaker on the telly.

Moved to Edinburgh just after Hibs beat Peebles Rovers 15-1 in the cup, and followed them from that time home and away.

Never really discussed the family history, but my old man was a season ticket holder and it was a 100 per cent Hibee household.

Had cousins who were Hearts supporters, but cut off all contact with them......

Bristolhibby
07-06-2017, 10:42 AM
My Dad took me down to Easter Road when I was 7 back in 1988.

Went with uncles and cousins who are all Hibees.

I am a 3rd generation supporter and my sons are 4th Gen.

I don't get to as many games as most as I live down South in Wiltshire. But get up when I can and take the boys in the holidays.

Hibs are a great excuse to see my wider family and get back to Edinburgh.

J

FilipinoHibs
07-06-2017, 10:43 AM
Mother supported Benfica, father Santos. They became Hibs fans when they moved to Scotland in late 40s. The famous five were their Scottish Benfica/Santos.

ALF TUPPER
07-06-2017, 12:50 PM
Granny O'Malley. A Hibby in our family in 1875 and generations since.
Bless her.

Family folklore indicates that there was an uncle who we believe was a jambo. No-one spoke to him and it seems he was exiled for this. Perfectly reasonable IMO. 😁

heidtheba
07-06-2017, 01:42 PM
No football background at all from my mum and dad, neither could give a monkeys about football and the only players I knew at school were Kenny Dalglish and Gordon Strachan. Got taken to a Hibs game by a guy I was at uni with - I think he saw me as a challenge to convert to the ways of football. It worked. We lost that match (late January 1993 - Hibs 3, Rangers 4) but it was a brilliant game and I was hooked. Got my first ST the next year.
His gf was Celtic through and through but they managed well enough.
I often wonder if anyone on here knows him as he still goes. I've not managed for a long time but I'm hoping to take Mrs me to a game this season.

green leaves
07-06-2017, 09:32 PM
My dad was never really interested in football but if pushed he's say he was a ****.My mum worked in Edinburgh and het pal worked for a cobblers who repaired the Hibs players boots resulting in her getting freebies so she took my mum to the games,this was during the famous 5 era,My mum then passed the freebies on to her brothers who in time took me to games.
The ironic thing is when my sister was doing our family tree my dad's side were all from the Grassmarket and it looks like we have relatives who played for the 1st Hibs teams

lyonhibs
08-06-2017, 06:29 AM
Neither parent had the remotest twinkle of interest in football. Family friends at church lived on Ryehill or Cornhill crescent/avenue (the memory fades) and they had kids my age and were all mad Hibbies so that was that.

My Dad attended through a sense of duty and cos he knew I wanted him to but from age 13 or so I was going with my mate.

Also, spending the first 18 years of my life in Meadowbank meant it was a bit of a no brainer.

Pretty Boy
08-06-2017, 07:20 AM
My Grandad on my Dads side played for Hibs in the late 50s and early 60s. My Dad was a Hibs fan.

It was my Mums side that got me into Hibs though. My Grandad on that side is also a Hibs fan and he took my Mum to games for years. You could probably trace Hibs fans on my maternal Grannys side all the way back to the clubs formation. When I was young my Dad was still playing at a decent level on a Saturday so I was taken to ER with my Mum and Grandad pretty much before I could walk. I genuinely can't remember my 1st game because I was just too young.

I never really had a choice about my football team.

ED Hibee
08-06-2017, 08:29 AM
Neither parent had the remotest twinkle of interest in football. Family friends at church lived on Ryehill or Cornhill crescent/avenue (the memory fades) and they had kids my age and were all mad Hibbies so that was that.

My Dad attended through a sense of duty and cos he knew I wanted him to but from age 13 or so I was going with my mate.

Also, spending the first 18 years of my life in Meadowbank meant it was a bit of a no brainer.

Nice to hear I may have been a positive influence on someone in my life! (I'm Robbie by the way). I remember your dad coming to games and it was testament to him that despite clearly not being from a football background he was prepared to sit out some grim games in the late 80s/early 90s just because you were so into it!

I grew up on Cornhill. My dad was first to go to Hibs in early/mid eighties when they first moved to Leith altho he didn't go that regularly. I was taken to first Hibs game age 4 and there was no looking back. Went pretty much every week until we moved up to Fort William and then still went as often as we could from there.

Am now based in South London and have 2 boys of my own who are helping convert their cousins to the cause. At my boys school there can be up to 4 Hibs tops on show on any one day - my boy, his 2 cousins and another girl who's grandad's a Hibee!

Brunswickbill
08-06-2017, 06:52 PM
I was born and raised in Brunswick Road, within earshot of Easter Road, but wasn't too interested in football until I went to Stirling University where all my mates were football daft. I started to follow the Hibs but that wasn't difficult during Turnbull's time. More recently I have done some family history and have found that my great grandfather who came from Ireland had married a lass who lived just off the Cowgate. She came from a long line of Edinburgh cobblers. In 1875 they were living in Fleshmarket Close just off the Cowgate, when and where Hibernian FC were founded. So if anyone asks me why I support the Hibs I reply "That's what I am." :agree:

Joe6-2
08-06-2017, 07:24 PM
My Dad's side of the family weren't interested in football but on my Mum's side from what I can tell is that they were right back to the origins as my Mum's distant relatives came over from Ireland.

Was going to say my story is similar, but one major difference, my late dad was a jambo! Thank you grandad!!!!!

One Day
09-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Grand parents and family on both sides were all Hibs daft, My mums family hailed from Little Ireland.
There was never any other option. Same for my sons and grandson. Until my mum passed away there were regularly
4 generations of our family attending matches.

GGTTH :flag:

aussie_hibee
09-06-2017, 10:21 AM
My parents are Hibs fans and I got a Hibs teddy the day I was born.

My gran was a hibby and all her brothers were Hibs fans but not sure about previous generations. My gran was born in hawkhill avenue and it is likely it was because they lived in the area that they followed Hibs.

My gran's youngest brother had TB and could not go to the games but could tell the score from his bedroom by the sound of the roars from the crowd.

Also, my gran ran the Hibs club so I had free run of the place as a boy after school etc. Great memories.

Thank you Gran, not for just making me us Hibs fans but essentially brain washing me with green and white everywhere. Best gift ever.

GGTTH

jacomo
09-06-2017, 11:20 AM
No strong club allegiance in my family. I chose life!

Now my bairns get to be Hibees too, the lucky things.

HappyAsHellas
09-06-2017, 01:42 PM
Dad took me to my first game in 1967 and have been going ever since - now go with my daughter who is starting to take her 2 year old to some games - get them in early!

iwasthere1972
09-06-2017, 02:56 PM
None of my immediate family were football supporters. In fact my dad tried to stop me going to watch Hibs when it was against the two cheeks of the same erse. As a teenager it was a case of getting my Hibs scarf at the ready and doing a Lord Lucan right out the door when my dad wasn't watching me.

My great grandad came over from Ireland in about 1845 as a small boy and got married in 1875 somewhere near the Cowgate. Had a great uncle who was a Hibs supporter and he lived in the Cowgate. His name was Jimmy Harrower but he wasn't the one who played in the 1902 Scottish Cup winning team. My other great grandad lived a stone's throw from Easter Road so my choice of supporting Hibs was already made for me even before my birth.

First game was when I was 10 (late starter compared to some) against Stirling Albion at Easter Road in 1966. We won 6-0. I've experience the great European nights against Naples, Leeds twice and Liverpool, Hamburg etc etc. Even though we didn't win them all, it was a great experience as a young lad. Under the floodlights with crowds of 35-40K. The icing on the cake was obviously last May at Hampden and about time after all the disappointment of past years. Made the victory all that more special.

Always was going to be a Hibby. No question about it.

Season ticket renewed for the forthcoming season. Bring it on. Good times ahead.

:flag: :flag: :flag:

LukeGarr
11-06-2017, 12:21 AM
What was your favourite of all the European nights?]None of my immediate family were football supporters. In fact my dad tried to stop me going to watch Hibs when it was against the two cheeks of the same erse. As a teenager it was a case of getting my Hibs scarf at the ready and doing a Lord Lucan right out the door when my dad wasn't watching me.

My great grandad came over from Ireland in about 1845 as a small boy and got married in 1875 somewhere near the Cowgate. Had a great uncle who was a Hibs supporter and he lived in the Cowgate. His name was Jimmy Harrower but he wasn't the one who played in the 1902 Scottish Cup winning team. My other great grandad lived a stone's throw from Easter Road so my choice of supporting Hibs was already made for me even before my birth.

First game was when I was 10 (late starter compared to some) against Stirling Albion at Easter Road in 1966. We won 6-0. I've experience the great European nights against Naples, Leeds twice and Liverpool, Hamburg etc etc. Even though we didn't win them all, it was a great experience as a young lad. Under the floodlights with crowds of 35-40K. The icing on the cake was obviously last May at Hampden and about time after all the disappointment of past years. Made the victory all that more special.

Always was going to be a Hibby. No question about it.

Season ticket renewed for the forthcoming season. Bring it on. Good times ahead.

:flag: :flag: :flag:[/QUOTE]

TheCabbage
11-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Dad can't stand football & its All jambos in my family bar 1 uncle.
He showed no interest in taking me.
Ended up going with my dads cousin when I was around 5/6. Her and her husband both maroon tinted & I refused numerous bribes to turn to them.
Dads only ever been 1 match with me. A 4.1 Scottish cup defeat to Aberdeen (Gordon Rae scored) circa 1982/1983.
When he saw it was raining actualky asked will the game still be on & do we have to go. 10 year old me put him straight.
Still no idea really why I picked Hibs but glad I did.

Edinburgher
11-06-2017, 07:54 PM
I was brought up by my granddad who supported Hibs choosing to follow them after the second world war due to a certain Gordon Smith (He would normally go to see both Edinburgh teams as a boy). His father and brothers were Hearts fans from the Southside -so the credit goes to him for being the black sheep of the family and making me a Hibee. :agree:

oneone73
11-06-2017, 08:12 PM
I was brought up by my granddad who supported Hibs choosing to follow them after the second world war due to a certain Gordon Smith (He would normally go to see both Edinburgh teams as a boy). His father and brothers were Hearts fans from the Southside -so the credit goes to him for being the black sheep of the family and making me a Hibee. :agree:

I went to Fort Primary in Leith in the early 1960s. We were all Hibbies in my class - barring one Hun ... and one Southampton fan!

Hibbyradge
11-06-2017, 09:50 PM
It was forced upon me by vicious nuns wielding rulers and threats of detention.

SonOfDavidFrancey
11-06-2017, 10:08 PM
I went to Fort Primary in Leith in the early 1960s. We were all Hibbies in my class - barring one Hun ... and one Southampton fan!

By 1968 in Holy Cross Primary about 90% of boys were glory hunting Celtic supporters... Sad to say. Myself and two or three others went to Easter rd every week, including reserve games - except Hearts, Rangers, Celtic. Was thought too dangerous.

Hibbyradge
11-06-2017, 10:19 PM
By 1968 in Holy Cross Primary about 90% of boys were glory hunting Celtic supporters... Sad to say. Myself and two or three others went to Easter rd every week, including reserve games - except Hearts, Rangers, Celtic. Was thought too dangerous.

How old were you in 68?

Glory hunting primary kids in 1968 :faf:

Austinho
12-06-2017, 03:16 AM
My dad was actually born in England, but moved to a small town in Scotland over an hour away from Edinburgh when he was 6. He decided he didn't want to be like all the other kids and support Celtic or Rangers, so he randomly chose Hibs instead. Must have liked the shirt, or some other arbitrary reason.

When he was 16, he met my mum. Turned out my mum's dad (my grandpa) was also a Hibs fan. Now, it's pretty rare to find many Hibees in that part of the world, so for both sides of the family to support them is a hell of a coincidence. Needless to say, I wasn't going to pick any other team! Hibs are truely in my blood.

I grew up not having any other friends who supported Hibs. They were all Celtic and Rangers. I got teased at school. And any time I wanted to go to a game, it involved a 4-5 hour round trip.

My family eventually moved over the border and my dad and I became season ticket holders, travelling from England to Easter Road every single week. We didn't miss a single home game for 3 years, including night time cup games against Montrose, Arbroath, Gretna etc. I even flew back from New Zealand for the Cup Final, and delayed by trip back so I could go to Brondby away.

Weirdly dedicated for a pair who have no connection to Edinburgh. The adversity probably made us stronger.

SonOfDavidFrancey
12-06-2017, 06:22 AM
How old were you in 68?

Glory hunting primary kids in 1968 :faf:

About 8/9. But that was the effect of European Cup sadly and we Hibees were in the minority.

Hibbyradge
12-06-2017, 07:01 AM
About 8/9. But that was the effect of European Cup sadly and we Hibees were in the minority.

Hmmm. You must have been in my class or the year above. 😎