PDA

View Full Version : Next seasons strike force

eastcoasthibby
05-06-2017, 08:17 AM
The situation regards our striking positions must be the most difficult with quite a few anomalies in there for NL....
If Cummings stays who and what type do we need to play up top with him. if Cummings goes what types of strikers does NL go for to fill the gaps, will we pay the money for the likes of Boyce or anyone else ?
How many do we bring in still ...?
Is Brian Graham going to find a new club, if he is then then that's another slot in the squad to be filled ..does Oli Shaw step up and start to build himself into this level ? Quite a few questions to be answered at the real business end of the park ..I take it NL and his scouting team will have a list for the various potential scenario's it intrigues me ..what are other folk thinking ?

Big_Franck
05-06-2017, 08:41 AM
The situation regards our striking positions must be the most difficult with quite a few anomalies in there for NL....
If Cummings stays who and what type do we need to play up top with him. if Cummings goes what types of strikers does NL go for to fill the gaps, will we pay the money for the likes of Boyce or anyone else ?
Is Brian Graham going to find a new club, if he is then then that's another slot in the squad to be filled ..does Oli Shaw step up and start to build himself into this level ? Quite a few questions to be answered at the real business end of the park ..I take it NL and his scouting team will have a list for the various potential scenario's it intrigues me ..what are other folk thinking ?

Lennon said in an interview recently, I think it was on BT Sport, that Cummings plays best with a big target man type that takes the hits from the centre halves and creates space for Jason. With Holt away I'd think this type of forward will be a priority but we also need at least one more in my opinion. Keatings is away and Graham isn't good enough.

NAE NOOKIE
05-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Its an interesting one ....... from what I hear Murray isn't the type of striker to selflessly roll the ball into the path of the likes of Jason Cummings when he has a shooting chance himself.

On the other hand, though Holt was the type who could create room for the likes of JC to operate in I cant remember too many times where he actually set up Cummings or Keatings with goal scoring opportunities with a pass a flick or a header.

Nae idea what my point is :greengrin

BlackSheep
05-06-2017, 09:17 AM
Its an interesting one ....... from what I hear Murray isn't the type of striker to selflessly roll the ball into the path of the likes of Jason Cummings when he has a shooting chance himself.

On the other hand, though Holt was the type who could create room for the likes of JC to operate in I cant remember too many times where he actually set up Cummings or Keatings with goal scoring opportunities with a pass a flick or a header.

McGeouch's goal in the Semi Final was laid on prefectly by Holt.... I cant remember any others right now but he did create chances with good passes and headers through when he was on form. Definitely a space creator as well.

worcesterhibby
05-06-2017, 09:30 AM

You have no idea how often I start posting something and then realise that this is the case !! :greengrin:greengrin

Ozyhibby
05-06-2017, 09:45 AM
None of the rumours so far are the type of striker Lennon has said he is after which is a big lad who can hold the ball up and chip in with goals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jacomo
05-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Bring King Dom back!

Tamhere1875
05-06-2017, 11:15 AM
Dom wanted to move on to a better standard off football. Looks like it went tits up for him.

Ozyhibby
05-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Bring King Dom back!

Zero chance of that happening.

ancient hibee
05-06-2017, 11:25 AM

First game of season at Falkirk.

Dashing Bob S
05-06-2017, 11:28 AM
We lost out on the dream Collins-Stockton pairing and therefore must consider ourselves bereft of hope.

Baw187
05-06-2017, 11:30 AM
I've no idea why type of striker Shaw is but I'd like him to bet an opportunity this season and hopefully take it by banging some goals in.

Agree that we need foil for Cummings. Reckon it will be Stokes but if that plan falls through then it's anyone's guess what Lennon has planned.

We have to sign at least one more striker.

jacomo
05-06-2017, 11:58 AM

We need to sign another striker?

I agree with you!

Hfcwilson3192
05-06-2017, 12:00 PM

We should have got rid of graham and kept holt. Holt and cummings were brilliant up top last season still canny believe he never got his contract renewed.

CockneyRebel
05-06-2017, 12:13 PM
We should have got rid of graham and kept holt. Holt and cummings were brilliant up top last season still canny believe he never got his contract renewed.

He was offered a contract but decided to go back to his family.

ahibby
05-06-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't think Stokes and Cummings are a good striking partnership I don't think they are good at playing off each other but they do know each other so that's something at least. Not all that impressed with the SM signing, but it could have been worse, and I hope he is a squad player as opposed to first choice, NL might have already hinted at that. However when he get's his chance if he takes it then I'll be as happy with him as anyone.

I feel we need another Holt type striker (Holt has a bit of footballing class about him), who can hold the ball up and mix it with defenders (who are always going to be on the big side anyway). No idea who, I don't follow availability and haven't seen anyone available in Scotland who I think fits the bill.

Hfcwilson3192
05-06-2017, 12:26 PM
He was offered a contract but decided to go back to his family. never knew that mate was wondering why he hadn't been offered one cheers

Andy74
05-06-2017, 12:30 PM
He was offered a contract but decided to go back to his family.

Not the way he's been telling it.

“I’ve got the utmost respect for the manager and the staff at Hibs and I’m really grateful to the fans for the send-off I got at the end of the season. I think everyone probably knew from my demeanour that I thought that would be my last game [against St Mirren]. I knew before the end of the season that it didn’t look like an offer was coming, so I said my goodbyes to everyone. I still speak to the boys now – I keep getting snapchats off them. We had a great group of boys and at some point in the new season I’ll be back up to watch them.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/grant-holt-i-loved-my-time-at-hibs-and-i-won-t-be-winding-down-1-4453803

hibsbollah
05-06-2017, 12:39 PM
Ive still heard nothing to suggest Leigh isn't coming back. In which case, its about finding the right second striker to complement his talents.

Hfcwilson3192
05-06-2017, 12:48 PM
Not the way he's been telling it.

“I’ve got the utmost respect for the manager and the staff at Hibs and I’m really grateful to the fans for the send-off I got at the end of the season. I think everyone probably knew from my demeanour that I thought that would be my last game [against St Mirren]. I knew before the end of the season that it didn’t look like an offer was coming, so I said my goodbyes to everyone. I still speak to the boys now – I keep getting snapchats off them. We had a great group of boys and at some point in the new season I’ll be back up to watch them.”

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/grant-holt-i-loved-my-time-at-hibs-and-i-won-t-be-winding-down-1-4453803 aye a read that tae like it doesny sound like he was offered one which is mental as he was one of our best players last season

Borderhibbie76
05-06-2017, 12:54 PM
To those wanting Holt to stay in a bit bemused...yes he was good for us last season but our failing last year was lack of goalscoring and Holt was very culpable in this dept. Sorry but we need better going forward and I'm glad Neil Lennon agrees. Ps i liked Holt but we deffo need to.improve for the Prem

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
05-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Holt is not good enough for the prem and where we want to be and I'm glad Neil Lennon thinks this as well.

18Hibee75
05-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Sometimes wasn't directly assists but he was very clever and would know when and how to drag defenders away from him. He would wind up defenders and get them angry and focused on him, which massively helped Cummings who could sneak in and bag himself a goal or two.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Ozyhibby
05-06-2017, 04:34 PM
Sometimes wasn't directly assists but he was very clever and would know when and how to drag defenders away from him. He would wind up defenders and get them angry and focused on him, which massively helped Cummings who could sneak in and bag himself a goal or two.

Sent from my F3211 using Tapatalk

Cummings scored less last season than the year before so it wasn't that effective. Best to get someone who also scores himself.

1van Sprou7e
05-06-2017, 04:44 PM
Cummings scored less last season than the year before so it wasn't that effective. Best to get someone who also scores himself.

He scored 2 more goals that season but also made 8 more appearances, last season was his best ratio-wise

Andy74
05-06-2017, 05:35 PM

He was coming on to a scoring game too though wasn't he?

Hope we have a player like that lined up because he was very effective at what he did.

tamig
05-06-2017, 05:51 PM

Hope we have a player like that lined up because he was very effective at what he did.

Absolutely. I don't think it will be an easy task finding a player similar to Holt but hopefully the boss has some irons in the fire.

wookie70
05-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Lennon said in an interview recently, I think it was on BT Sport, that Cummings plays best with a big target man type that takes the hits from the centre halves and creates space for Jason. With Holt away I'd think this type of forward will be a priority but we also need at least one more in my opinion. Keatings is away and Graham isn't good enough.

JC played pretty much the same minutes in 2014/15 as he did last year and scored as many and same number of assists. No big target man then and playing against both Hearts and The Rangers. I think Jason is brilliant but if I did have a criticism it would be he doesn't seem to fall into a strike pair very easily. I don't think he looked very good playing next to Holt and he didn't score more goals. I might be odd but I judge my strikers by how many goals and assists they produce. Last year was the first I have thought Jason's development had maybe slowed a wee bit. He has improved but not as dramatically as the years previously. Not sure why that is - being dropped, style of play, reaching his limit, thinking it is time to move on, hangover from the Cup win. Desperately hope Lennon finds someone who meshes with Jason. Murray may be the man as his selfless running could create space for Cummings and the opponents would also have to worry about him scoring too.

cmcd
05-06-2017, 09:21 PM
Holt is not good enough for the prem and where we want to be and I'm glad Neil Lennon thinks this as well.

Please excuse me but when did Neil Lennon ever say Holt wasn't good enough ???

jacomo
05-06-2017, 10:39 PM

Holt definitely finished the season strongly. More like the player I remember at Norwich.

But he's gone now and we need a replacement. Hibs need to push the boat out on this one cos goals make all the difference to a season.

Graham might be off too but Oli Shaw surely must be ready for the 1st squad?

Big L
06-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Don't know the strength of this but Didier YA Konan striker on trial at EM apparently, ex Fortuna Dusseldorf.

lumbo_hfc
06-06-2017, 11:45 AM
Don't know the strength of this but Didier YA Konan striker on trial at EM apparently, ex Fortuna Dusseldorf.

He training on his own...?

ahibby
06-06-2017, 11:47 AM
He training on his own...?

That's a bad start for him then.

hibsbollah
06-06-2017, 11:51 AM

I hope he's got his soft ground boots on then.
Assuming this story is genuine, 45 goals in the Bundesliga is quite a pedigree. He's got some pace about him as well judging by youtube. At 33 maybe wants a new start...