PDA

View Full Version : Dominic Malonga - quality not appreciated anywhere ?

IberianHibernian
04-06-2017, 08:53 PM
Just watched Dom Malonga play for Elche in Spanish second division . Brought on for last 15 minutes after his side went 0 v 2 down in a match they had to win to have a chance of staying up . Didn`t touch the ball for 14 minutes then laid on goal and had a long range shot for equaliser in injury time which went very high and wide . In the end his team ( Elche are a relatively big team in Spain who are usually in first or second so to go down to third tier is serious ) went down . General standard of both teams was very poor ( opposition Cadiz are now in playoffs so could be playing Barca and Real Madrid next season ) but I didn`t see any players in either team I thought I`d like to see playing for us next season except Dom of course and that`s judging on previous form not on today . He signed for Elche in winter window but has only been used as a sub so again has not had full time to show talent . Seems like results are always priority at any club but despite big home crowds last season I`m sure most of us would rather have watched the likes of Dom and Benji up front than Holt / Graham and Boyle . Also so many posts here mention Scottish Cup legends that we shouldn`t forget Dom`s goal in Kirkcaldy .

SlickShoes
04-06-2017, 08:58 PM
I liked him a lot but he wanted away and then left, not sure we really need him back at all, I do like a player like him better than a Holt but he's not someone i'd push the boat out to bring back in any way.

CMurdoch
04-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Would have been useful for us this season but don't think he has the quality to play for a team challenging for 3rd in the SPL next season.
He should have stayed.

Marco G
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM
Just watched Dom Malonga play for Elche in Spanish second division . Brought on for last 15 minutes after his side went 0 v 2 down in a match they had to win to have a chance of staying up . Didn`t touch the ball for 14 minutes then laid on goal and had a long range shot for equaliser in injury time which went very high and wide . In the end his team ( Elche are a relatively big team in Spain who are usually in first or second so to go down to third tier is serious ) went down . General standard of both teams was very poor ( opposition Cadiz are now in playoffs so could be playing Barca and Real Madrid next season ) but I didn`t see any players in either team I thought I`d like to see playing for us next season except Dom of course and that`s judging on previous form not on today . He signed for Elche in winter window but has only been used as a sub so again has not had full time to show talent . Seems like results are always priority at any club but despite big home crowds last season I`m sure most of us would rather have watched the likes of Dom and Benji up front than Holt / Graham and Boyle . Also so many posts here mention Scottish Cup legends that we shouldn`t forget Dom`s goal in Kirkcaldy .
Sorry but it was guys like Holt and Boyle who worked their socks off to get us promoted even when they were struggling for fitness or confidence. They never gave up. As good as Benji and Dom were I am happy we had who we had last season! Still wish Dom all the best though.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

stevie-bee
04-06-2017, 09:09 PM
His goal against Aberdeen ,
Sometimes frustrating as f@@@
Sometimes absolutely brilliant

Elephant Stone
04-06-2017, 09:29 PM
He scored almost 1 every 2 games, which is pretty much as good as it gets for a striker at our level, a few of them sublime as well. Would welcome him back in a heartbeat if we had the chance.

GreenCastle
04-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Loved the guy.

Mobile - could hold the ball up - could score from distance and had creativity.

Some thought he was lazy but I felt he should never have left. But believe he left for family reasons.

Would love him to return.

leither17
04-06-2017, 09:31 PM
Would have been useful for us this season but don't think he has the quality to play for a team challenging for 3rd in the SPL next season.
He should have stayed.

We are going to come 2nd mate

Deansy
04-06-2017, 09:40 PM
Loved Big Dom - if he showed a bit more appetite I'd take him back in a flash !

SirDavidsNapper
04-06-2017, 09:48 PM
He doesn't care about the Rangers

IberianHibernian
04-06-2017, 09:56 PM
Sorry but it was guys like Holt and Boyle who worked their socks off to get us promoted even when they were struggling for fitness or confidence. They never gave up. As good as Benji and Dom were I am happy we had who we had last season! Still wish Dom all the best though.

Sent from my SM-T713 using TapatalkNot doubting commitment of Boyle or Holt just saying I`d far rather see a Dom Malonga than either of them . I`m also delighted we got promotion and am hoping we can push for top 3 or 4 but would rather see it with entertaining play and think we`d have a better chance of making top 4 or better with players who are clearly more talented than those in other teams and not just with players who " never gave up " .

Hibee Mac
04-06-2017, 10:03 PM
I was gutted when he left, a lot of hibees certainly appreciated him.

Leaving was a big mistake and he knows it too.

jacomo
04-06-2017, 10:15 PM
I was gutted when he left, a lot of hibees certainly appreciated him.

Leaving was a big mistake and he knows it too.

:agree:

Come back King Dom!

Lenny make it happen. He scores goals. He makes goals.

cabbageandribs1875
04-06-2017, 10:22 PM
Do Do Dooo

Speedway
04-06-2017, 11:40 PM
Not sure that Lennon is a Dom Malonga kind of guy.

Ozyhibby
05-06-2017, 12:06 AM
The grass is always greener on the other side for Dom. He'll be on the move again soon and it won't be to Easter road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baader
05-06-2017, 12:31 AM
Loved Big Dom. Class act

jeffers
05-06-2017, 05:33 AM
He could look lazy and disinterested at times, but on his game he was a joy to watch, type of player I pay my money to see in a Hibs jersey.

Marco G
05-06-2017, 06:59 AM
Not doubting commitment of Boyle or Holt just saying I`d far rather see a Dom Malonga than either of them . I`m also delighted we got promotion and am hoping we can push for top 3 or 4 but would rather see it with entertaining play and think we`d have a better chance of making top 4 or better with players who are clearly more talented than those in other teams and not just with players who " never gave up " .
Not arguing with you, only saying that imho a major reason we got promoted was based on team work rather than the individual. However we did also have a lot of very talented players in that squad and I certainly include Holt and Boyle amongst them. I agree that Dom had qualities that they don't but whether that would have been enough for him to get a starting place in the team, I doubt.

Clearly his starting record since leaving us is also poor? So it seems there is something lacking in his overall play that stops him being a regular pick?

The Modfather
05-06-2017, 07:17 AM
He's on his 8th club. Has the ability to have had a better career than that of a journeyman but that's how it has/will pan out IMO.

The Congolese Tam McManus 😀

Tamhere1875
05-06-2017, 11:13 AM
Dom wanted to move to a "better standard off football" as he put it. Seems it's went a bit tits up for him.

jacomo
05-06-2017, 11:48 AM
Clearly his starting record since leaving us is also poor? So it seems there is something lacking in his overall play that stops him being a regular pick?

He's had a bad time since leaving Hibs.

But he did a good job for us. Why not bring him back?

Marco G
05-06-2017, 12:50 PM
He's had a bad time since leaving Hibs.

But he did a good job for us. Why not bring him back?
But it was him that wanted to leave Hibs, for family reasons as well as football reasons. No indication he would want to rejoin Hibs at all, whether we wanted him or not!

Scouse Hibee
05-06-2017, 12:52 PM
Does every player that leaves Hibs leave with an open return ticket?
The clamour to keep going back for players who have left seems to be growing.

Elephant Stone
05-06-2017, 12:56 PM

The good ones should.

We've had a lot of good players recently. :greengrin

jacomo
05-06-2017, 01:10 PM
But it was him that wanted to leave Hibs, for family reasons as well as football reasons. No indication he would want to rejoin Hibs at all, whether we wanted him or not!

I think it was mostly family reasons.

He has indicated since then that he regrets leaving us.

MB62
05-06-2017, 02:39 PM
I think it was mostly family reasons.

He has indicated since then that he regrets leaving us.

I'll bet he does, the way his career since has gone nowhere.

Was a decent player, when he turned it on, but no way would I want him back.
Time to move on and look for fresh talent elsewhere.

Rivers Cuomo
05-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Quintessentially a Hibs player for me.

Capable of the sublime or the frustrating.

Loved watching him on his day.

mentalhibee
05-06-2017, 03:20 PM
Would be a great signing, exactly what we need! Is he a free agent again?

jacomo
05-06-2017, 03:49 PM
Quintessentially a Hibs player for me.

Capable of the sublime or the frustrating.

Loved watching him on his day.

Amen brother.

A Hibs squad cannot be considered complete without a gifted but inconsistent no.10

heretoday
06-06-2017, 07:49 AM
Come back to Easter Road!

arrival
06-06-2017, 08:18 AM
My overriding recollections are - Lazy, no heart, couldn't tackle, couldn't head the ball, limped for 10 minutes after even the slightest of minimal contact, went down easily. Not enough in the very rare instances of quality to make up for all that he lacks.

marinello59
06-06-2017, 08:24 AM
My overriding recollections are - Lazy, no heart, couldn't tackle, couldn't head the ball, limped for 10 minutes after even the slightest of minimal contact, went down easily. Not enough in the very rare instances of quality to make up for all that he lacks.

Who on earth are you talking about here? :confused:

Andy74
06-06-2017, 08:33 AM

Total nonsense.

Carheenlea
06-06-2017, 08:56 AM

I don't really see this clamour with other teams fans to bring back former players. Must be a Hibs thing, and something I need to put my hands up and admit I'm guilty of on occasion.
As for Dom - I was a fan, but I'm not clamouring for his return on this occasion.

tamig
06-06-2017, 09:06 AM

Are you usually a bit pished at the games?

Andy74
06-06-2017, 09:20 AM
I don't really see this clamour with other teams fans to bring back former players. Must be a Hibs thing, and something I need to put my hands up and admit I'm guilty of on occasion.
As for Dom - I was a fan, but I'm not clamouring for his return on this occasion.

Berra has just gone back to Hearts.

Golden Bear
06-06-2017, 09:45 AM
A cult player with a cult following.

Not my cup of tea though.

Stevie Reid
06-06-2017, 10:24 AM

As did Skacel, Stevenson, Webster, Robertson, Colquhoun, McPherson - I'm sure there are many more.

heretoday
06-06-2017, 03:18 PM

I just want a chance to sing the Malonga songa again!

HoboHarry
06-06-2017, 05:01 PM
Your first post aye? :faf:

jacomo
06-06-2017, 05:21 PM
Your first post aye? :faf:

Swift departure??

:wink:

Famous Fiver
06-06-2017, 05:40 PM
I detect a distinct Gorgie smell with that post.

Subtlety is not a strong suit of the Jambo infiltrator, methinks.

Scouse Hibee
06-06-2017, 06:07 PM
Allan and Malonga two players with so much ability and class that they surely must have been playing at the highest level since they left Hibs. They must have achieved success surely............

7 Up
06-06-2017, 06:29 PM
I'm glad Dominique is no longer at Hibs for the sole reason that the guy who sat behind me at that time would spend 90 mins moaning about how useless and lazy he was. Personally I liked him.

arrival
06-06-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm glad Dominique is no longer at Hibs for the sole reason that the guy who sat behind me at that time would spend 90 mins moaning about how useless and lazy he was. Personally I liked him.

I'm not that guy.

I can see how you might draw that conclusion Famous Fiver but I've been going to Easter Road for over 50 years. I'm disappointed that my first post was a negative one and that I was drawn in to this topic especially with regard to a player so insignificant in Hibs history. Seen many players of limited ability play for Hibs (probably unfair but Benny Brazil comes first to mind first) but most of them including Benny tried the best they could. They put the effort in and tried to make up for their deficiences. I suppose what hit a nerve with me about Malonga was that he did have some natural talent but lacked the application, discipline and work ethic which might have turned him into a real player.

Carheenlea
06-06-2017, 09:45 PM

As did Skacel, Stevenson, Webster, Robertson, Colquhoun, McPherson - I'm sure there are many more.

Ok, when you put like that then I suppose we aren't alone!

Hibeewilly
06-06-2017, 09:57 PM

I have to say the lad had ability but a lot of what you have said in your post is correct but what I hated was his huffiness. His mood swings and not celebrating goals with us did my head in so I wouldn't like to see him back - no way. The players celebrate big time together now when we score so no thanks from me