PDA

View Full Version : Marciano

Vault Boy
03-06-2017, 02:15 PM
Close to signing (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1098839/hibs-are-closing-in-on-the-permanent-signing-of-israel-international-keeper-ofir-marciano/) according to the Sun.

Mathias Jack
03-06-2017, 02:22 PM
Close to signing (https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1098839/hibs-are-closing-in-on-the-permanent-signing-of-israel-international-keeper-ofir-marciano/) according to the Sun.

By far the best keeper we've had in years, would be ecstatic if he signs.

Sergey
03-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Here's a link to the story: https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/1098839/hibs-are-closing-in-on-the-permanent-signing-of-israel-international-keeper-ofir-marciano/?CMP=Spklr-_-Editorial-_-scotsunsport-_-Sport-_-FBLink-_-Statement-_-TWITTER

makaveli1875
03-06-2017, 02:26 PM
By far the best keeper we've had in years, would be ecstatic if he signs.

Best keeper weve had since Conrad Logan :greengrin

Springbank
03-06-2017, 02:29 PM
Needs to up his goalscoring if he's to compete with Oxley, though he did come close at Hampden. ..

Diclonius
03-06-2017, 02:36 PM
Our second best keeper in years - remember Ben Williams.

Fritz
03-06-2017, 03:05 PM

I do. Marciano is better!

Michael
03-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Williams was pretty average. I think he's remembered as better than he was because of the utter garbage we had in goals before him.

Marciano looks decent, but to be fair hasn't been put to the test as much as our other keepers so far.

calumhibee1
03-06-2017, 03:12 PM

Marciano is streets ahead of Williams imo.

Flanny boy
03-06-2017, 03:18 PM
Correct sir

Scouse Hibee
03-06-2017, 03:31 PM

Yes but I think you're struggling to remember him.

Centre Hawf
03-06-2017, 03:33 PM
I personally really rated Ben Williams. I like Marciano but he hasn't had half the test Williams had. Delighted if we can keep him though.

Zazu62
03-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Williams was the keeper when we got relegated so I wouldn't personally have him as one of my favourite hibs keepers

jeffers
03-06-2017, 03:39 PM
The news surrounding the club just gets better and better. I couldn't decide how good he was initially because he had so little to do due the excellence of our defenders, but as the season wore on it became obvious what a top keeper he is.

Fwiw I think he's possibly the best since Leighton. Williams was excellent in his first season, but he's not as good as Marciano imo.

Fuzzywuzzy
03-06-2017, 03:44 PM
Best keeper since leighton

O'Rourke3
03-06-2017, 03:45 PM
Hopefully this comes to pass.

Benji1
03-06-2017, 03:48 PM
Daniel anderrsen

Saint Hibee
03-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Both Marciano and Williams have been great Hibs keepers, but there really is no competition for King Conrad! If you need reminding why: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7by4HbKrETg

CMurdoch
03-06-2017, 04:34 PM
The jury is still out for me on Marciano.
He will be much more under the microscope in the SPL with any mistakes magnified in the media.
However, if Lennon is convinced that is good enough for me.

Aldo
03-06-2017, 04:38 PM

I think he was average tbh. Prone to the odd mistake and like a bit of ball watching.

We have have far superior keepers than BW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
03-06-2017, 04:46 PM
The jury is still out for me on Marciano.
He will be much more under the microscope in the SPL with any mistakes magnified in the media.
However, if Lennon is convinced that is good enough for me.

Tend to agree.

I'm pleased he's signing again but I think people are getting a bit carried away. That performance against Dunfermline was as good a performance I've seen from a hibs keeper since Leighton probably however apart from that game he's been pretty good but few dodgy moments thrown in. I can't remember the games and I'm not about to go looking for them but I'm sure there were a few questionable goals he let in.

As I said though, pleased he's signing again and I look forward to bumping into Mrs Marciano in the west upper concourse again next season.

CMurdoch
03-06-2017, 05:30 PM
Tend to agree.

I'm pleased he's signing again but I think people are getting a bit carried away. That performance against Dunfermline was as good a performance I've seen from a hibs keeper since Leighton probably however apart from that game he's been pretty good but few dodgy moments thrown in. I can't remember the games and I'm not about to go looking for them but I'm sure there were a few questionable goals he let in.

As I said though, pleased he's signing again and I look forward to bumping into Mrs Marciano in the west upper concourse again next season.

Goalkeepers are more judged on their gaffs than the great saves they make.
I have a niggle that he has a few gaffs in him but given his other attributes it is unlikely Hibs could otherwise afford or attract him.
The other side of the coin is he has already been at Hibs for a season and is settled in and Lennon wants to sign him on what he has seen in that time.
As ever time will tell.
Like you I will be pleased if he signs.

P.S. Unfortunately Mrs M is never likely to frequent the East.

Carheenlea
03-06-2017, 05:35 PM
A very good keeper who has enjoyed his spell in Edinburgh and is keen to make the move permanent - Rocky would be an excellent signing.

Alfiembra
03-06-2017, 05:38 PM
Both Marciano and Williams have been great Hibs keepers, but there really is no competition for King Conrad! If you need reminding why: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7by4HbKrETg

Hadn't seen that before, best laugh I've had in ages, sent it on to all my blue nose mates. :not worth

Andy74
03-06-2017, 05:51 PM
I have a niggle that he has a few gaffs in him but given his other attributes it is unlikely Hibs could otherwise afford or attract him.
The other side of the coin is he has already been at Hibs for a season and is settled in and Lennon wants to sign him on what he has seen in that time.
As ever time will tell.

Every keeper makes mistakes. He's been here a whole season and you still seem to be waiting for the gaffe you think is coming.

That says he keeps mistakes to a minimum which is all you can ask.

Since90+2
03-06-2017, 05:55 PM
Every keeper makes mistakes. He's been here a whole season and you still seem to be waiting for the gaffe you think is coming.

He was at fault for Aberdeen's second in the semi but apart from that has been a great signing.

we are hibs
03-06-2017, 06:01 PM
Marciano made an outstanding save with his feet at tynecastle which seemed to go unnoticed. great shot stopper, great at coming out and good with his feet. a massive improvement on Oxley.

neil7908
03-06-2017, 06:26 PM
He was at fault for Aberdeen's second in the semi but apart from that has been a great signing.

I blame the wall for that one not him. I honestly don't think he could have done anything about that goal.

bod
03-06-2017, 06:49 PM
If it takes an away friendly during the winter break to sway the deal then so be it,the credit card could live with that:greengrin

hfc rd
03-06-2017, 07:24 PM

No way that can be pinned on Marciano. It was the player who jumped out of the wall that was at fault for that goal. Can't remember who it was, think it was either McGeouch or Fyvie?

O'Rourke3
03-06-2017, 07:24 PM
Dylan leaving the space was more at fault. Let down by the wall for that one.

tamig
03-06-2017, 07:31 PM
As ever time will tell.

Why do you have a niggle? He has had a sound first season. Commands his box and very rarely spills a thing. He is a class above Ben Williams and is our best keeper since Daniel Andersson in my opinion.

SChibs
03-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Williams was the keeper when we got relegated so I wouldn't personally have him as one of my favourite hibs keepers

To be fair, we didn't concede many goals that season, it was our lack of goals that sent us down

Highland_Hibee
03-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Andersson
Williams
Marciano

Only 3 'keepers I've rated in my time following Hibs.

1 MotM performance and a handful of games is not enough for me to consider Conrad as one of our first choice 'keepers. Hero? Absolutely.

sambajustice
03-06-2017, 08:01 PM
That old gadgie we picked up from Dundee reserves in the 90's was worth about 54 points a season!!

😎

hibsbollah
03-06-2017, 08:02 PM

No he wasn't, the wall collapsed when Dylan ran away.

Diclonius
03-06-2017, 08:05 PM
I remember Marciano being especially good in the 0-0 at Tynecastle. Saved well during the rare opportunities when they threatened.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
03-06-2017, 08:05 PM
Daniel anderrsen

:agree:

McD
03-06-2017, 08:15 PM
I'm really impressed with the way Hibs are going about their business this window.

Many of the out-of-contract players have either re-signed or apparently been told their offer is no longer there, 2 transfers confirmed with Ambrose apparently also a done deal and Marciano very close, and all this at the start of June.

The efficiency and professionalism is so positive and confidence building. Not pissing about, no/little of the excuses like agents/players/managers/MDs/CEOs on holiday. Only (tiny tiny) sad thing is we're not likely to have an edge-of-the-seat deadline day, although I'm sure we'll be active the the very end....whilst it would be nice if we got Henderson early, how much of a buzz would we get to see him holding a scarf aloft at the side of the pitch late on on deadline day?! (I'm purely speculating, no inside knowledge whatsoever :greengrin)

CMurdoch
03-06-2017, 08:21 PM

Best keeper since Andersson and that was more than a decade ago

SouthMoroccoStu
03-06-2017, 08:25 PM
Marciano made an outstanding save with his feet at tynecastle which seemed to go unnoticed. great shot stopper, great at coming out and good with his feet. a massive improvement on Oxley.

Pretty much motm at Tynecastle, and a double penalty save at Easter Road!

I personally would be extremely happy to welcome Rocky and his stunning wife at hibs next season.

greenlex
03-06-2017, 08:54 PM
Good keeper but we will see if hes great if he signs for next season.

LaMotta
03-06-2017, 09:05 PM
No way that can be pinned on Marciano. It was the player who jumped out of the wall that was at fault for that goal. Can't remember who it was, think it was either McGeouch or Fyvie?

The wall was at fault but so was Marciano.

Hoping he can repeat his Derby and Dunfermline performances next season.

As for Ben Williams......amazing run of penalty saves and one of the finest Hibs goalkeeping performances ive seen in the 2013 cup victory at ER over Aberdeen.

Relegation was nothing to do with him and everything to do with the gash strikeforce and butcher

jacomo
03-06-2017, 09:25 PM
Best keeper since Andersson and that was more than a decade ago

20 years ago.

Andersson is undoubtedly the hipsters choice for some reason, but he wasn't with us that long and didn't achieve anything special.

I find this reverence a bit of a nonsense tbh.

Marciano is great. Really deserved a goal in the SC semi final.

LaMotta
03-06-2017, 09:31 PM
20 years ago.

Andersson is undoubtedly the hipsters choice for some reason, but he wasn't with us that long and didn't achieve anything special.

13 years ago :wink:

cookin_on_gaz
03-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Needs to up his goalscoring if he's to compete with Oxley, though he did come close at Hampden. ..
If he had scored with that header then he would have come pretty close to reaching David Grays level of cult hero status

Sent from my VF-1397 using Tapatalk

kevinc
03-06-2017, 10:26 PM
20 years ago.

100% with you re Anderson, he was was fantastic in the penalty shoot out against the now defunct GRFC and also had a very good game in the Derby when Brebner was incorrectly dismissed. He was poor with cross balls , Celtic at Parkhed was a typical example, I rate Leighton and Marciano miles ahead of DA.

Pete70
03-06-2017, 10:27 PM
Good keeper but we will see if hes great if he signs for next season.

So, good keeper if he doesn't sign but great keeper if he does.:greengrin

Baw187
04-06-2017, 12:08 AM
20 years ago.

Absolutely. I've been watching Hibs since c1984 and I don't recall Anderson being a standout keeper for us. Admittedly my memory is poor but I reckon that's a good sign that the ones I recall are worthy of note.

Marciano didn't get enough credit for Tynie. He kept us in that tie although the team general seemed to get the plaudits with Hearts being called out as being pish. If it wasn't for Rocky we'd have lost that game and it would have been a different tale told.

To those that say that Rocky was rarely tested, you forget that despite that fact, when he was called upon, he pretty much excelled.

And I don't blame him for the semi. He has to trust his wall has that covered otherwise he has no chance of covering the back stick.

Sign him up and ask questions later.

FilipinoHibs
04-06-2017, 12:20 AM
Best Hibs goalies I have seen ER

Heriot
Rough
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Anderson
Rocky

Dashing Bob S
04-06-2017, 12:49 AM
20 years ago.

Myself and my friends have taken to hanging around the refurbished Port O Leith discussing Andersson's attributes.

Smartie
04-06-2017, 02:17 AM
20 years ago.

Surely the beautifully bearded Mark Oxley would be the goalkeeper most hipsters would like to go for a coffee with?

We've actually not done that badly for goalkeepers of late considering what went before.

Stack, Oxley, Williams and Laidlaw were/ are all competent. Logan was only with us for a short spell although he managed to squeeze a heroic performance and an easily forgotten big error in a huge game into his time with us.

I think Marciano really looks the part and I'd love him to join. He didn't have that much to do last season, that won't be the same next year. He can really prove himself with big performances against the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts when he'll face teams who are a bit more interested in crossing the halfway line than most of the teams we played last season.

We've not had anyone who earned us as many points as Leighton for a while though. One of the most inspired signings in my time watching Hibs.

Brooster
04-06-2017, 08:14 AM
No he wasn't, the wall collapsed when Dylan ran away.

He was sound asleep. Any average keeper would've saved that easily.

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2017, 08:33 AM
As others have said, Marciano hardly makes a mistake, of course they all do make them but he's making less than any keeper we've had in years.

And what i particularly like about him is he gets the ball to stick.

Very rarely if at all does he spill anything, giving the opposition a second chance.

He's also decent coming from crosses, unlike Williams who was superglued to his line.

Bobo
04-06-2017, 08:50 AM
Best Hibs goalies I have seen ER

Heriot
Rough
Goram
Budgie
Leighton
Anderson
Rocky

I'd agree with you on this with the exception of Herriot, I thought he was no more than average.

Both him and Jim Black (at centre half) were the weak points in the Tornadoes side, with better players in both positions they'd have won the league at least once IMO.

Beefster
04-06-2017, 08:50 AM

That just demonstrates how clueless some folk are. No-one judges a twenty-goal-a-season striker on the shots he missed.

Hfcwilson3192
04-06-2017, 09:01 AM

Marciano is an international goalie. He's the best we've hud since the great budgie

Col2
04-06-2017, 09:06 AM
Would be great to get Rocky and Effe confirmed officially this week.

Then only unknown or unlikely is Fyvie.

Then hopefully:-

Whitaker
Henderson or commons
Stokes
Another striker / replace Graham

And we are good to go...

houstonhibbee
04-06-2017, 09:22 AM
I'd agree with you on this with the exception of Herriot, I thought he was no more than average.

Both him and Jim Black (at centre half) were the weak points in the Tornadoes side, with better players in both positions they'd have won the league at least once IMO.
The tornadoes only played together 22 times so that's a. Bit of an urban myth

houstonhibbee
04-06-2017, 09:25 AM
Would be great to get Rocky and Effe confirmed officially this week.

Then only unknown or unlikely is Fyvie.

Then hopefully:-

Whitaker
Henderson or commons
Stokes
Another striker / replace Graham

And we are good to go...

and sim and Jc stay.....

jacomo
04-06-2017, 09:28 AM
Surely the beautifully bearded Mark Oxley would be the goalkeeper most hipsters would like to go for a coffee with?

We've actually not done that badly for goalkeepers of late considering what went before.

Stack, Oxley, Williams and Laidlaw were/ are all competent. Logan was only with us for a short spell although he managed to squeeze a heroic performance and an easily forgotten big error in a huge game into his time with us.

I think Marciano really looks the part and I'd love him to join. He didn't have that much to do last season, that won't be the same next year. He can really prove himself with big performances against the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts when he'll face teams who are a bit more interested in crossing the halfway line than most of the teams we played last season.

We've not had anyone who earned us as many points as Leighton for a while though. One of the most inspired signings in my time watching Hibs.

Give it a decade and I'm sure someone will be telling us all that Oxley was the best keeper ever.

It just needs memories to become a little hazy and folk start rewriting history.

GordonHFC
04-06-2017, 09:47 AM
Anyone remember Mike McDonald?

delbert
04-06-2017, 09:56 AM

Made a save in a League Cup Semi Final against Aberdeen which defied logic, still one of the best saves I've ever seen in watching football for nearly 50 years !

blackpoolhibs
04-06-2017, 10:01 AM

Aye, he took over from Jim McArthur if my memory is right, or at least shared the goalkeeping at times?

Met the man and was in his company for a few hours in Manchester, when we played at the Manchester Arena in the 5 a side tournament for the oldies a few years ago.

He seemed to enjoy being with the supporters, and was having a great time along with a few other drunks. :greengrin

Ray_
04-06-2017, 10:13 AM

He spent time at Stoke, as back up to the mighty Gordon Banks, before he cam to Hibs.

Seekyit
04-06-2017, 10:14 AM

Signed from Stoke City I think? Think he was 2nd choice to Peter Shilton for them.

portycabbage
04-06-2017, 10:39 AM
I thought Nick Colgan was no bad for us, seeing as he's not been mentioned. Like Marciano a lot so would be happy to see him sign

Deansy
04-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Yup - I remember him in a game at ER, booting a Septic-player (can't remember who ?) right in the plums as he came out to gather a ball !. Iirc, he did it so cutely he didn't even get booked for it !

Captain Trips
04-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Marciano is a capable keeper and for me that will do,I also rate Laidlaw.

We have had some guff in goals over years for me Jim Leighton the best but Marciano is a good keeper and would be happy if he is No1.

CMurdoch
04-06-2017, 11:06 AM
Does anyone have any idea how much Ashdod want for Marciano

if not

How much should we be willing to offer?

Ray_
05-06-2017, 05:36 AM
Signed from Stoke City I think? Think he was 2nd choice to Peter Shilton for them.

He joined in 1972, after Banks had, had his car accident that would end his career. He was back up to John Farmer and left Stoke around the same time as Shilton arrived, or not too long after.

Fuzzywuzzy
08-06-2017, 07:40 AM
The sun claiming we would need to agree 50% sell on if we want him. Can't see that being agreed to as quite hefty (unless we bank on recouping on future sell on)

WhileTheChief..
08-06-2017, 07:49 AM
We will get him for nought and give them 50% of any sell on. Seams fair and reasonable to me.

Ozyhibby
08-06-2017, 08:19 AM
Thank goodness for Oxleys time wasting up in Inverness. Up until he was dropped, most on here thought he was a decent goalie despite the fact he never made any saves and was as good as Hibs could get for the money we paid. [emoji3]
Rocky has shown that to be nonsense.

Geo_1875
08-06-2017, 08:25 AM
We will get him for nought and give them 50% of any sell on. Seams fair and reasonable to me.

If that's the case then they are taking a big chance. What if he just sees out his contract and signs for free somewhere else? They get nothing.

oneone73
08-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Thank goodness for Oxleys time wasting up in Inverness. Up until he was dropped, most on here thought he was a decent goalie despite the fact he never made any saves and was as good as Hibs could get for the money we paid. [emoji3]

He wasn't time wasting, he'd lost a contact lens. The ref was an arse - fortuitously, as it turned out.

overdrive
08-06-2017, 08:30 AM
He wasn't time wasting, he'd lost a contact lens. The ref was an arse - fortuitously, as it turned out.

A bit of the boy who cried wolf then. He loved to time waste normally.

sadtom
08-06-2017, 08:51 AM
Yup - I remember him in a game at ER, booting a Septic-player (can't remember who ?) right in the plums as he came out to gather a ball !. Iirc, he did it so cutely he didn't even get booked for it !

I think it was the late Johnny Doyle. Pretty sure it was that (and the fact that we were pumping celtc 4-1) that sparked the weegie pitch invasion.

Thought MMc was average at best. Couldnae get a book of good looking huns under his feet when he jumped.

We were fortunate to have a run of excellent keepers Rough, Goram, Leighton (Budgie to lesser extent) all been poor or average since then. Would love to get Rocky signed, looks the best we've had for decades.

Itsnoteasy
08-06-2017, 08:58 AM

Oxley was time wasting.
If he had lost a contact lense he should have left the field immediately.
He is the worst goalie for time wasting I've ever seen & that was well before the Inverness game.

oneone73
08-06-2017, 09:03 AM
Oxley was time wasting.
If he had lost a contact lense he should have left the field immediately.
He is the worst goalie for time wasting I've ever seen & that was well before the Inverness game.

Did you really expect him to leave the pitch with the ball in our half? With that referee, who booked him from 60 yards away? I wasn't a fan, but he had no luck that night.

delbert
08-06-2017, 09:20 AM
I think it was the late Johnny Doyle. Pretty sure it was that (and the fact that we were pumping celtc 4-1) that sparked the weegie pitch invasion.

Thought MMc was average at best. Couldnae get a book of good looking huns under his feet when he jumped.

We were fortunate to have a run of excellent keepers Rough, Goram, Leighton (Budgie to lesser extent) all been poor or average since then. Would love to get Rocky signed, looks the best we've had for decades.

Not that it matters all that much but I always had it in my head that it was Tom McAdam who he studded right in the plums ! Whoever, it was funny as hell, should have been a penalty to them, nothing awarded and the great unwashed went mental !

SonOfDavidFrancey
08-06-2017, 09:32 AM
It's on YouTube somewhere, can't be bothered to search now, but worth watching.

tamig
08-06-2017, 10:08 AM
Not that it matters all that much but I always had it in my head that it was Tom McAdam who he studded right in the plums ! Whoever, it was funny as hell, should have been a penalty to them, nothing awarded and the great unwashed went mental !

Joe Craig was the unfortunate chap.
Edit - looking at the line-ups that day it was indeed Tom McAdam.

greiggy
08-06-2017, 10:28 AM
He joined in 1972, after Banks had, had his car accident that would end his career. He was back up to John Farmer and left Stoke around the same time as Shilton arrived, or not too long after.

I seem to remember Hibs playing a friendly against Stoke in the 70s where Banks played after he had his car accident. Dull 1-1 draw if I recall correctly. Correction. 1-0 defeat, November 76.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SonOfDavidFrancey
08-06-2017, 10:35 AM
It's on YouTube somewhere, can't be bothered to search now, but worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcZ0yrTT45c

Here it is. Archie MacPherson: 'the player really ran into MacDonald there' - can they retrospectively cite a player from 1978?:wink:

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkMost on here were right, he was a decent goalie, aside from the semi final Logan was no better. Strange you are praising Rocky, literally every post of yours for the past year has been saying all Lennons signings are pish.

You are also comparing the players we could sign over 2 seasons of poor crowds on the back of relegation and 1 season of great crowds on the back of a cup win. Stubbs could well have signed differently had he had more money. Oxley might've been the best option when we had 7k season ticket holders.

Deansy
08-06-2017, 10:44 AM

Here it is. Archie MacPherson: 'the player really ran into MacDonald there' - can they retrospectively cite a player from 1978?:wink:

STILL sweet to watch - thanks for posting !

Ozyhibby
08-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Most on here were right, he was a decent goalie, aside from the semi final Logan was no better. Strange you are praising Rocky, literally every post of yours for the past year has been saying all Lennons signings are pish.

You are also comparing the players we could sign over 2 seasons of poor crowds on the back of relegation and 1 season of great crowds on the back of a cup win. Stubbs could well have signed differently had he had more money. Oxley might've been the best option when we had 7k season ticket holders.

I have never been critical of Marciano and always excluded him from my criticisms of last years signings. And thankfully Neil Lennon agrees as he did not offer new deals to either Holt or Shinnie.

Mikey09
08-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Ok I'll bite. What a complete lie.

Geo_1875
08-06-2017, 11:12 AM
I have never been critical of Marciano and always excluded him from my criticisms of last years signings. And thankfully Neil Lennon agrees as he did not offer new deals to either Holt or Shinnie.

Is that right? I thought Holt was offered another year but turned it down.

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 11:13 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkLennon doesn't agree, Holt turned a new deal down.

B.H.F.C
08-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Lennon doesn't agree, Holt turned a new deal down.

Don't think he did.

'At the end of the season I had a chat with the manager and we came to the conclusion that what we both wanted wasn't quite there. It was amicable and that's just football'

Ozyhibby
08-06-2017, 12:25 PM
Lennon doesn't agree, Holt turned a new deal down.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170608/e20b8fd7652cd51bcdd4592d80d7b0bb.png

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Fair enough. Still doesn't change my opinion that Holt and Shinnie played important parts in our promotion and despite Ozy spending 12 months trying to convince everyone otherwise, they were good signings.

Oxley was bashed for the most nonsense things. People started looking for stats about the % of shots against us that went in and thinking that was a relevant thing to criticise the goalkeeper for. As if he must save a certain % of shots, regardless of quality of the shots, or he's pish. We were much better defensively this season so Rocky had far less clear cut chances to face. He is a better keeper but that doesn't suddenly make the OTT bashing of Oxley correct. Oxley was also much younger.

My_Wife_Camille
08-06-2017, 01:09 PM
Fair enough. Still doesn't change my opinion that Holt and Shinnie played important parts in our promotion and despite Ozy spending 12 months trying to convince everyone otherwise, they were good signings.

Oxley was bashed for the most nonsense things. People started looking for stats about the % of shots against us that went in and thinking that was a relevant thing to criticise the goalkeeper for. As if he must save a certain % of shots, regardless of quality of the shots, or he's pish. We were much better defensively this season so Rocky had far less clear cut chances to face. He is a better keeper but that doesn't suddenly make the OTT bashing of Oxley correct. Oxley was also much younger.
Shinnie and Oxley were both gash and we are well rid. Marciano and Swanson are already improvements that can fill those positions and there will be more to come

jeffers
08-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Shinnie and Oxley were both gash and we are well rid. Marciano and Swanson are already improvements that can fill those positions and there will be more to come

Oxley I didn't rate and never felt confident with him in goals. Clearly NL didn't rate him either which is why he was quick to get rid of him and replace him with Marciano. Shinnie though I totally disagree, I thought he was a decent player although infuriating at times.

1van Sprou7e
08-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Ok I'll bite. What a complete lie.

Hardly, no one rated him that highly and there were a few loud critics of him but the majority of us thought he was a decent keeper (which he was)

Borderhibbie76
08-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Most on here were right, he was a decent goalie, aside from the semi final Logan was no better. Strange you are praising Rocky, literally every post of yours for the past year has been saying all Lennons signings are pish.

Agreed the Ox was nowhere near as bad as some made out on here...I agree Rocky is better but the Ox did fine for us

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Borderhibbie76
08-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Nonsense neither were gash, Shinnie tho inconsistent could be quite influential on his day - more so than Fyvie last season and we have a whole thread of posters gushing over him

My_Wife_Camille
08-06-2017, 01:59 PM
Nonsense neither were gash, Shinnie tho inconsistent could be quite influential on his day - more so than Fyvie last season and we have a whole thread of posters gushing over him

I'm not fussed about Fyvie either tbh

Borderhibbie76
08-06-2017, 02:01 PM
I'm not fussed about Fyvie either tbh
We deffo agree on that mate happy if he stays not fussed if he doesn't...

Velma Dinkley
08-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Anyone got a link to the Marciano thread?

iwasthere1972
08-06-2017, 02:20 PM
Anyone got a link to the Marciano thread?

:greengrin

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 02:23 PM
Shinnie and Oxley were both gash and we are well rid. Marciano and Swanson are already improvements that can fill those positions and there will be more to comeI assume you've just started supporting Hibs in the last 3 years? You have absolutely no idea what gash really looks like.

Shinnie was better for ICT than Swanson has been for any side in Scotland so we'll see if he really is an upgrade.

My_Wife_Camille
08-06-2017, 02:31 PM
I assume you've just started supporting Hibs in the last 3 years? You have absolutely no idea what gash really looks like.

Shinnie was better for ICT than Swanson has been for any side in Scotland so we'll see if he really is an upgrade.
I didn't say they were the only gash players we've ever had FFS.

They join a long list of gashness that includes the likes of Liam Craig

B.H.F.C
08-06-2017, 02:32 PM
I assume you've just started supporting Hibs in the last 3 years? You have absolutely no idea what gash really looks like.

Swanson just scored 15 goals from midfield this season and won the Scottish Cup with Dundee Utd. Shinnie was good at Inverness, better than he was for us, but I don't think he could match either of those acheivements.

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 02:38 PM
Swanson just scored 15 goals from midfield this season and won the Scottish Cup with Dundee Utd. Shinnie was good at Inverness, better than he was for us, but I don't think he could match either of those acheivements.
Shinnie scored 16 goals from midfield for Inverness in 2012/13

MWHIBBIES

They join a long list of gashness that includes the likes of Liam CraigYeah, you've really no idea what gash is.

My_Wife_Camille
To be fair, Shinne did match one of them already a few years back

SirDavidsNapper
08-06-2017, 02:44 PM

They join a long list of gashness that includes the likes of Liam Craig

I could think of many players I'd call gash but Liam Craig wouldn't be one of them.

bingo70
08-06-2017, 02:46 PM
I could think of many players I'd call gash but Liam Craig wouldn't be one of them.

For hibs he pretty much was though.

There were mitigating circumstances in that he was surrounded by dross, playing for a **** manager at a terrible time for the club, not many were able to perform to the best of their ability.

That doesn't escape the fact he was pretty ***** for us though.

Ray_
08-06-2017, 02:48 PM
Don't think he did.

'At the end of the season I had a chat with the manager and we came to the conclusion that what we both wanted wasn't quite there. It was amicable and that's just football'

My son spoke to Grant last week in Norwich and Grant told him that he was offered a new deal but he was told he wouldn't be first choice, so that didn't suit him, understandably, given the stage he is in his career, especially after the injury affecting him the previous two season's before coming to us.

B.H.F.C
08-06-2017, 02:49 PM
Shinnie scored 16 goals from midfield for Inverness in 2012/13

Fair enough. As I said, Shinnie was a far better player at Inverness than he was for us. Based on the current day versions, I'm happy to swap Swanson for Shinnie.

My_Wife_Camille
08-06-2017, 02:54 PM
Yeah, you've really no idea what gash is.

Here's a simple demonstration of the levels of gashness

Simon Brown > Makalambay > Malkowski > Oxley

In fact, Brown, Makalambay and Malkowski, were all solid top 4 players with us. They were our keepers for our three highest placed finishes in the last 15+ years. With Oxley in goals we finished 2nd and 3rd in the Championship, our two lowest finishes in our history :cb

MWHIBBIES
08-06-2017, 02:55 PM

In fact, Brown, Makalambay and Malkowski, were all solid top 4 players with us. They were our keepers for our three highest placed finishes in the last 15+ years. With Oxley in goals we finished 2nd and 3rd in the Championship, our two lowest finishes in our history :cbJust clearly trolling, embarrassing really.

My_Wife_Camille
08-06-2017, 03:00 PM
Just clearly trolling, embarrassing really.
Lighten up:giruy2:

Allant1981
08-06-2017, 03:32 PM

In fact, Brown, Makalambay and Malkowski, were all solid top 4 players with us. They were our keepers for our three highest placed finishes in the last 15+ years. With Oxley in goals we finished 2nd and 3rd in the Championship, our two lowest finishes in our history :cb

brown, makalambay and malkowski were not solid players for us

stantonhibby
08-06-2017, 03:40 PM
brown, makalambay and malkowski were not solid players for us

Brown was certainly 'solid' but sadly not in a keeping the ball out the net sense.

tamig
08-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Brown was certainly 'solid' but sadly not in a keeping the ball out the net sense.

He looked a bit wobbly to me. In a weeble kind of way.

we are hibs
08-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Oxley was an awful "goalkeeper" constantly made an arse of himself every time he came off his line, reactions were ridiculously slow and you could tell the defence had zero confidence in him. Marciano is a better keeper by quite some distance.

superfurryhibby
08-06-2017, 07:58 PM

Nah, I despaired when watching him, he was diabolical and contributed, like many others, to our demise. Craig was pretty gash at Hibs.

tamig
08-06-2017, 08:01 PM
Nah, I despaired when watching him, he was diabolical and contributed, like many others, to our demise. Craig was pretty gash at Hibs.

I thought he played well in the first Championship season. Far from diabolical.

SirDavidsNapper
08-06-2017, 08:04 PM
I thought he played well in the first Championship season. Far from diabolical.
Always gave his best in a Hibs shirt. Thought he was tremendous in the 4-0 win over the bigots

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

weecounty hibby
08-06-2017, 08:06 PM

Just how good was Ally McLeod? My hero back in the day. Watch that clip again and focus on the Hibs No8. Total star

jeffers
08-06-2017, 08:34 PM
Just how good was Ally McLeod? My hero back in the day. Watch that clip again and focus on the Hibs No8. Total star

Not saying he was the best player I've seen in a Hibs jersey but he's my favourite. What a player he was, I can imagine the abuse he'd get if he was playing for us today tho'.

weecounty hibby
08-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Not saying he was the best player I've seen in a Hibs jersey but he's my favourite. What a player he was, I can imagine the abuse he'd get if he was playing for us today tho'.

Yip he had twice the ability of Malonga but was three times as laid back. Todays fans would be baying for his blood every week. Still one of the most skilful players I've seen in a Hibs strip. I know this is a thread about Marciano but Ally was a legend who should get a thread of his own. 99 goals for Hibs I believe in a mainly struggling team. Missed a penalty at ER against Celtic as well that would have seen him hit the ton. Apologies for the thread hijack.