PDA

View Full Version : The Lions.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Very slow start in their first game, 24 minutes gone and lots of mistakes. 7-3 down.

blackpoolhibs
03-06-2017, 08:55 AM
53 mins gone and at last we take the lead with a try and conversion. 13-7

McD
03-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Very poor today, albeit with mitigating circumstances of only arriving 3 days ago (poor decision by the organisers?), first time on a pitch competitively together, and playing a group for most of whom this will be their biggest ever game with nothing to lose (they were also new to each other).

Also felt the ref was a bit off, usually like Angus Gardner but felt he was a bit inconsistent today.

a win is a win, but there's a few players probably already pushed themselves further from a test jersey.

Fritz
03-06-2017, 12:31 PM
I think "disjointed" is the best you could say about that performance, that and the fact we won. 1st game on a Lions tour is often hard going but even allowing for that we were very poor.

Nameless
03-06-2017, 06:05 PM
Not a great start, but the NZP Babas had a game plan and executed it well. The Blues should be a much easier prospect on Wednesday.

Sir David Gray
03-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Very poor today, albeit with mitigating circumstances of only arriving 3 days ago (poor decision by the organisers?), first time on a pitch competitively together, and playing a group for most of whom this will be their biggest ever game with nothing to lose (they were also new to each other).

Also felt the ref was a bit off, usually like Angus Gardner but felt he was a bit inconsistent today.

a win is a win, but there's a few players probably already pushed themselves further from a test jersey.

I could write everything that I know about rugby on the back of a post-it note but whoever decided that it was a good idea to travel from the UK to New Zealand 72 hours before playing a match needs their head examined.

Absolutely crazy decision.

CropleyWasGod
03-06-2017, 07:27 PM
I could write everything that I know about rugby on the back of a post-it note but whoever decided that it was a good idea to travel from the UK to New Zealand 72 hours before playing a match needs their head examined.

It's all about money, of course.

Lions tours are much shorter than they used to be. The clubs don't want their precious assets away for too long, which is understandable.

Time was when the players took 6 weeks to get there by ship. [emoji13]

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Sylar
03-06-2017, 10:40 PM
We were poor today, but credit to the Barbarians - I thought they had a lot of pace, and some good handling - they were just outmuscled a little in the end and perhaps tired into the second half. Their multiple stops on the line before half-time was impressive, and I bet they'll be rueing their missed try opportunity mid-way through the first half!

Gatland's son had a cracking game for them - his kicking was spot on, putting the ball into all sorts of good positions. Was disappointed with Stuart Hogg today - a lot of handling errors. Even taking jetlag into account, that's fundamentals!

Hopefully a more cohesive performance on Wednesday morning!

Danderhall Hibs
04-06-2017, 08:18 AM

The regular season only finished last weekend - the other option would've been for them to fly out in 2 groups rather than as a team.

Sir David Gray
04-06-2017, 01:24 PM
The regular season only finished last weekend - the other option would've been for them to fly out in 2 groups rather than as a team.

Or they could have started the tour a few days later. I just think that either way, going to the other side of the world 3 days before playing a match was a terrible move by those organising the tour.

CropleyWasGod
04-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Or they could have started the tour a few days later. I just think that either way, going to the other side of the world 3 days before playing a match was a terrible move by those organising the tour.
And that would probably have resulted in a game less. Like I say, it's about the money.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
04-06-2017, 10:27 PM

If they had lost it would've been.

HibernianJK
04-06-2017, 11:16 PM
Not a great start, but the NZP Babas had a game plan and executed it well. The Blues should be a much easier prospect on Wednesday.

Barbarians were meant to be far and away the easiest opposition faced on Tour. Made up of reserve/fringe Super Rugby players.

Nameless
05-06-2017, 04:39 AM
Barbarians were meant to be far and away the easiest opposition faced on Tour. Made up of reserve/fringe Super Rugby players.
I know, but the extra days rest, more time for the squad to gel and no jetlag should see the lions put in a much better performance...I hope.

JimBHibees
07-06-2017, 10:33 AM
Lions very poor today look like very little creativity in terms of scoring tries. Somebody like Russell should have gone in terms of breaking the lines very one dimensional.

McD
07-06-2017, 05:33 PM
Lions very poor today look like very little creativity in terms of scoring tries. Somebody like Russell should have gone in terms of breaking the lines very one dimensional.

:agree:

Absolutely. I thought he got shafted by the selectors, one of the form players of the 6 nations, but he's not Welsh of course

JimBHibees
07-06-2017, 08:00 PM

Absolutely. I thought he got shafted by the selectors, one of the form players of the 6 nations, but he's not Welsh of course

Just completely different is able to play the killer pass Farrell Sexton and Biggar are basically the same.

Steve-O
08-06-2017, 09:40 AM
Can't see anything other than a Crusaders win on Saturday.

McD
08-06-2017, 03:02 PM
Just completely different is able to play the killer pass Farrell Sexton and Biggar are basically the same.

Agree, my old man made a similar comment, that you shouldn't take 2/3 players who do basically the same things, you take different players who can produce different things

weecounty hibby
08-06-2017, 09:36 PM
3-0 series win for ABs unfortunately. Poor selection of squad from Gatland and poor team selections will cost him in the tests. He picks players he knows and for him bigger seems to be better, that doesn't work against New Zealand.

Sylar
10-06-2017, 09:13 AM
We've looked marginally better today, but still no penetration to actually get the ball over the line - it's like watching the Scotland teams of old so far this morning - all penalties.

It's better than it was on Wednesday, but I agree, the All Blacks will likely sweep us!

hfc rd
10-06-2017, 09:45 AM
Done pretty good today against a very good Crusaders team however the All Blacks are going to be a different kettle of fish.

McD
10-06-2017, 10:02 AM
Nasty looking Injury for Hogg, hopefully nothing serious

cabbageandribs1875
10-06-2017, 01:08 PM
Hogg not available for next game due to injury today

Mibbes Aye
11-06-2017, 01:49 AM
Very disciplined performance from the Lions, taking into account unplanned tactical changes like Hogg's withdrawal.

The Crusaders are probably the strongest opposition outside the Tests so it was important to win. It was a tactical win though, based on grinding out the penalties. I suspect that's Gatland's strategy for the Tests. The risk is that the ABs don't give away much and will capitalise on any opportunity on the loose. Saying that, we have the likes of North and a few others who can make and take chances at the drop of a hat.

Really looking forward to the First Test and hoping for no injuries against the Maoris

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2017, 07:42 AM
Good start from the lions today, 3-0 up after 4 minutes of pressure from the kick off.

blackpoolhibs
17-06-2017, 07:50 AM
FFS defending like schoolkids there, 7-6 down now.

Steve-O
17-06-2017, 10:27 AM
Easy win in the end. NZ media finally thinking they might actually have a decent challenge next week...

hfc rd
17-06-2017, 03:05 PM
Russell & Dell called up to the squad

ano hibby
20-06-2017, 10:14 PM
Dominant performance last night.
Momentum building nicely into Saturday.
Plenty form options in the pack. Backs less so & lot will depend on Farells injury. Suspect he plays Farell & Sexton. North struggling for form but sure Garland will select him.

ano hibby
20-06-2017, 10:31 PM
Russell & Dell called up to the squad

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/disgruntled-lions-fan-wrote-open-13209624.amp

Not many Lions fans who understand the history & traditions of the Lions will disagree with those sentiments. Cheapening of the jersey.

nellio
21-06-2017, 10:09 AM
What gatland did with the Wales boys already in NZ was a disgrace. Lions is the pinnacle of your career. lad like Launchbury and Hartley must be livid. Rightly so.

HibernianJK
21-06-2017, 11:16 AM
What gatland did with the Wales boys already in NZ was a disgrace. Lions is the pinnacle of your career. lad like Launchbury and Hartley must be livid. Rightly so.

If I was either of the Gray brothers I'd be sick

Danderhall Hibs
21-06-2017, 02:53 PM

They didn't call any hookers up so Hartley can't complain. Launchbury though has every right to smack Gatland clean on the jaw next time he sees him.

From the 6 called up over the weekend there's only 2 that you can't grumble about (Russell and Davies).

Sylar
21-06-2017, 09:29 PM
I sort of understand why he did it, but I equally see that it sullies the badge a little.

Both Wales and Scotland are undertaking summer tours in the same locale as the Lions, and their players are adjusted to the time zone already - quite why England elected to head off and play provincial games on the complete opposite side of the planet is beyond me...

I personally felt Russell and Davies should have been in the original squad anyway, as should Launchbury. However, to expect Launchbury to travel in from Argentina and contribute in a test game would be ambitious to say the least - not only is it a 13h flight, but NZ is 15 hours ahead of Argentina. It would take the lad a good few days to properly adjust.

nellio
22-06-2017, 12:47 PM
Kristian Dacey is a hooker. To have Dacey who only has about 5 caps for Wales in the squad over Hartley grand slam winning England captain is truly astonishing.

Shouldn't matter where you are in the world. Lions call ups should be based on merit 100% of the time. Your proximity to the tour shouldn't matter. Its the principle of it that gets me. You shouldn't get a call up unless you are good enough and that's the end of it IMO.

This whole selection process has been a shambles. The lack of Scottish players to start with was a joke and now Gatland calls up lads he's familiar with because they're only a short distance away cheapens the jersey.

Danderhall Hibs
22-06-2017, 01:47 PM
Kristian Dacey is a hooker. To have Dacey who only has about 5 caps for Wales in the squad over Hartley grand slam winning England captain is truly astonishing.

Shouldn't matter where you are in the world. Lions call ups should be based on merit 100% of the time. Your proximity to the tour shouldn't matter. Its the principle of it that gets me. You shouldn't get a call up unless you are good enough and that's the end of it IMO.

This whole selection process has been a shambles. The lack of Scottish players to start with was a joke and now Gatland calls up lads he's familiar with because they're only a short distance away cheapens the jersey.

Is he? Just shows you - Lions call up for a guy hardly anyone is aware of! I was listening to the rugby pod podcast earlier and even they (ex international players) said they had to look up who some of the 6 guys were!

Only one of them actually got any game time - and he's scotlands 2nd or 3rd choice LH prop!

Fraser Brown must've been worth a call up? He was only in Australia and I imagine he'd have been close to making the original squad.

McD
22-06-2017, 06:58 PM

Makes you you wonder if gatland tipped the Welsh to tour in the same country, expecting to call more players in. Why would you tour the same country as the lions at the same time?

weecounty hibby
22-06-2017, 07:59 PM
Makes you you wonder if gatland tipped the Welsh to tour in the same country, expecting to call more players in. Why would you tour the same country as the lions at the same time?

Each player called up to the Lions earns his home union a considerable sum of money. 200k each is a figure I have been told. Garland just made his bosses at WRU an additional 800k if true. None of the six called up deserved a spot IMO Russell was probably closest. Definitely cheapens what is without doubt the ultimate honour for any Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish rugby player. It also upsets me to see so many NZers, Fijians, etc filling the jersey. The residency rules are just not right but that's another argument.

nellio
23-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Each player called up to the Lions earns his home union a considerable sum of money. 200k each is a figure I have been told. Garland just made his bosses at WRU an additional 800k if true. None of the six called up deserved a spot IMO Russell was probably closest. Definitely cheapens what is without doubt the ultimate honour for any Scottish, English, Welsh and Irish rugby player. It also upsets me to see so many NZers, Fijians, etc filling the jersey. The residency rules are just not right but that's another argument.

If that's true then an investigation should be launched. I'm Welsh myself but I cant justify the calls ups that have been made in the slightest. Agree with residency to a point. If you Look at Falatau who plays for Wales he's lived in wales since he was a kid as his dad played for Ebbw Vale and Pontypool. Went to primary school in Wales and everything but I disagree with players playing for a nation only after a couple of years of living there. I also disagree with players changing international allegiances as well. Once you declare for a country that should be it in my view.

Danderhall Hibs
23-06-2017, 02:30 PM
The residency rule is being changed - I think to 5 years so that should stop a few of the free loaders.

Apparently each of the guys they've called up to hold the pads get all the kit and the £70k payment. Not a bad few days work.

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Dont profess to be a big rugby fan, but i'm really looking forward to this, can we win?

Sylar
24-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Dont profess to be a big rugby fan, but i'm really looking forward to this, can we win?

Stranger things have happened, but I fancy they'll be far too good. We've struggled against far lesser opposition on this tour so far.

3pm
24-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Don't know that much about it but it looks like it's going to be a long night for The Lions!

Sylar
24-06-2017, 07:57 AM
Bang, bang. Just like that, we're 10-0 down!

They've upped the tempo this past few minutes.

Golden Bear
24-06-2017, 07:58 AM
At this stage it looks as though we could be on the wrong end of a severe howkin.

blackpoolhibs
24-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Stranger things have happened, but I fancy they'll be far too good. We've struggled against far lesser opposition on this tour so far.

From the untrained eye, they look stronger, quicker and faster than the lions. We probably need to score next or we could be on the end of a tanking here?

Sylar
24-06-2017, 08:16 AM
From the untrained eye, they look stronger, quicker and faster than the lions. We probably need to score next or we could be on the end of a tanking here?

A fair assessment - we're managing to get into good positions, but keep falling short or making errors to lose the ball.

But as I finish typing that, what a phenomenal try! :thumbsup:

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Brilliant try there from The Lions.

Golden Bear
24-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Back in the game, all is not lost!

HUTCHYHIBBY
24-06-2017, 08:22 AM
13-8 HT to The All Blacks.

Scottie
24-06-2017, 09:21 AM
Garland getting what he deserves with his dreadful touring party selections.

Nowhere near good enough today. Interesting to see who he blames for this days performance. Anyone but himself.

theonlywayisup
24-06-2017, 09:57 AM
Garland getting what he deserves with his dreadful touring party selections.

Nowhere near good enough today. Interesting to see who he blames for this days performance. Anyone but himself.

To be honest, I've totally lost interest in the Lions since they announced the team - to only pick two Scots in the original squad from a country that is now 4th in the world and had just beaten Wales and Ireland was a joke compunded by picking something like 13 Welshmen. Total joke of a squad.

To be honest there's also some Englishmen that should be there ahead of some of his picks.

Scottie
24-06-2017, 05:53 PM
To be honest, I've totally lost interest in the Lions since they announced the team - to only pick two Scots in the original squad from a country that is now 4th in the world and had just beaten Wales and Ireland was a joke compunded by picking something like 13 Welshmen. Total joke of a squad.

To be honest there's also some Englishmen that should be there ahead of some of his picks.
:agree: He strikes me as a man with no class whatsoever. Obviously I would like to see the Lions win the series but won't lose any sleep if they get tonked in the next two tests.

As a side note I wonder what international and club games the selectors were watching to pick the squad they did. :confused:

weecounty hibby
24-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Just back after being out since 7am with some mates from Alloa rugby club to watch the match. Outclassed would be a fair assessment. Don't let the commentators or player interviews fool anyone. Yes we had chances but they were made from breaks from 40/50 metres out. NZ made chances from 10/20 metres out. Gatland is an average coach and has been found wanting now. Picked too many Wlshmen who are apst their best. Alun Wyn Jones for example, great player in the past, no where near good enough now. Booing out his arse after 30 mins. Subbing Teo for Sexton and moving Farrell to 12 as stupid. Teo was playing well, lions MOM probably, and after he went off ABs started attacking through the centres but Farrell seems undropable?? Warburton did **** all when he came on, poor sub. Faletua did diddly squat the whole game, no carries, no turnovers, hardly a tackle. Gatland and his boring big bash big players style can get to ****.3-0 is a certainty and NZ will win by bigger margins than today in the next two tests. As someone who has been away to watch the lions on tour, Disappointed doesn't begin to describe it!! to

weecounty hibby
24-06-2017, 07:53 PM
Yes I am totally pissed!! Bad day after Scotland losing. Especially when it best stand off was taken away from us for no real reason!!!! garland is a prick

HibernianJK
25-06-2017, 09:19 AM
Just back after being out since 7am with some mates from Alloa rugby club to watch the match. Outclassed would be a fair assessment. Don't let the commentators or player interviews fool anyone. Yes we had chances but they were made from breaks from 40/50 metres out. NZ made chances from 10/20 metres out. Gatland is an average coach and has been found wanting now. Picked too many Wlshmen who are apst their best. Alun Wyn Jones for example, great player in the past, no where near good enough now. Booing out his arse after 30 mins. Subbing Teo for Sexton and moving Farrell to 12 as stupid. Teo was playing well, lions MOM probably, and after he went off ABs started attacking through the centres but Farrell seems undropable?? Warburton did **** all when he came on, poor sub. Faletua did diddly squat the whole game, no carries, no turnovers, hardly a tackle. Gatland and his boring big bash big players style can get to ****.3-0 is a certainty and NZ will win by bigger margins than today in the next two tests. As someone who has been away to watch the lions on tour, Disappointed doesn't begin to describe it!! to

Teo did play well but if we're talking about devaluing the jersey did he not only debut for England in March through the residential rule?

I despise that rule and I hardly think Ben Te'o has been working since a young age to become a Lion. I would have Joseph in ahead of him every day.

Farrell is undroppable because daddy is in the stands. AWJ will be dropped from Itoje IMO.

Stuart Hogg must be gutted sitting at home. Yes Williams created a try but he was suspect every other time on the ball. Halfpenny IMO is not up to that level anymore. Watson was woeful and I think Stander should start ahead of O'Mahony as I don't think he was great.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2017, 07:56 AM
Great interception try between Seymour and Laidlaw v The Hurricanes.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2017, 08:22 AM
23-7 for The Lions HT.

HUTCHYHIBBY
27-06-2017, 09:30 AM
31-31 FT, great game.

Biggie
28-06-2017, 07:55 PM
The all blacks have just named a super strong team for Saturday.....this will be a long night for the lions. I can see a dead rubber next week when the AB's send the lions home with their tails between their legs.

Danderhall Hibs
29-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Interesting selection for Saturday. Captain out of the squad altogether and arguably the best player dropped to the bench.

BroxburnHibee
29-06-2017, 11:53 AM
How Seymour can't even make the subs is a joke.

Gatland as made a pigs ear of this series.

Biggie
29-06-2017, 01:59 PM
How Seymour can't even make the subs is a joke.

Gatland as made a pigs ear of this series.

Agree.....no scots in the team, joke...Gatland can GTF

weecounty hibby
30-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Agree.....no scots in the team, joke...Gatland can GTF
Even more amazing is 7 Welshmen in the 23 and 5 out of the starting 15. Gatlands selection of the squad and teams has been dreadful. ABs will do what they did in the last 15 of first test and attack 12/13 channel and Farrell is not up to that. He is giving away 3 stones in weight to his opposite number, who isn't just big but a ****ing great player. Series will be over tomorrow. AW Jones was knackered after 20 mins last week and should have been dropped. Faletau was never in the game last week either in carrying ball or at the breakdown. Seriously cannot understand some of his picks. Anyway it will be beer o'clock very early again tomorrow and an early bed again. At least with no Scots in the team they can't be blamed for the inevitable defeat

BroxburnHibee
30-06-2017, 04:50 PM
I'm not sure how much credence we give to world rankings but ranked 4 must count for something.

I know the accusation has been Scottish players don't play well away from Murrayfield but surely the fact we beat Wales and Ireland would have told Gatland how those players were doing.

Anyway I expect an even bigger loss tomorrow I'm afraid.

theonlywayisup
30-06-2017, 10:29 PM
The Lions Tour - sorry doesn't exist. It's up there with shinty and cricket for me.

I really hope that the Scottish players start next season fighting. It's up to them to prove Gatland was wrong.

Golden Bear
01-07-2017, 07:37 AM
We're off. It's do or die time.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
red card for NZ, shocking challenge by SB Williams.

Pretty Boy
01-07-2017, 08:05 AM
I'm no rugby expert but that was a disgrace from Williams. He could have done serious damage and looked like he intended to do so.

From my sketchy knowledge of rugby rules that looked a stick on red card.

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2017, 09:12 AM
He see's the hole he see's the glory.:faf:

Pretty Boy
01-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Fair play that was gutsy stuff.

Sending off obviously played it's part but that was just utter stupidity.

BroxburnHibee
01-07-2017, 09:27 AM
Fair play that is a great win.

Biggie
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Vunipola is a dirty ****, he should have been off.......15 vs 15 next week....sorry guys my dads a kiwi so I've a foot in both camps...

blackpoolhibs
01-07-2017, 09:32 AM
Not a great rugby fan, but i can still admire the grit and determination of these players from both sides. :top marks

McD
01-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Gritty win, but 14 men ran them right to the limit, and I thought the Lions were lucky to get the winning penalty, Sinckler jumped into the tackle when the tackler was already committed.

Correct red card, SB Williams with a dirty challenge.
vunipolo is a clown, how many times does he want to give away stupid penalties. Shouldn't play next week.

heretoday
01-07-2017, 10:33 AM
Not a great rugby fan, but i can still admire the grit and determination of these players from both sides. :top marks

Certainly knocks the footballers and their little niggles into a cocked hat.

JimBHibees
01-07-2017, 07:45 PM
Got to be said Gatland does seem to carry a huge amount of luck. Thought lions very lucky to win looked clueless when against 14 until the first try.

weecounty hibby
02-07-2017, 08:25 AM
A wins a win but Gatland is not a good coach. Changed nothing after Sonny Bills red and was lucky to get a win Against 14. Barret also missed 3 kick able pens that should have seen ABs win. If garland had any sense AWJ would be nowhere near the team next week. Vunipolo was a liability and isn't even all that good a scrummager. He is an impact sub with 20 to go when teams are tiring. Next week will be a loss by 20 points.

HUTCHYHIBBY
02-07-2017, 09:55 AM
I think they'll get pumped too.

Frazerbob
02-07-2017, 10:18 AM
All Blacks -18.5 at 2/1 looks like a great value for Saturday.

ano hibby
02-07-2017, 11:45 AM
I've been down in NZ watching.

I've seen live the Maori, the Chiefs & 2 tests. Won 3 of 4 we've seen live. All have been great occasions but winning a test in NZ regardless of red card & how we made it so difficult for ourselves was excellent. Some karma for BOD in 2005.

Hibs are my first love but I enjoy rugby too and I've always loved the concept of the Lions. So the trip is something of a major bucket list trip of a lifetime for me.

Despite how good it was winning yesterday it didn't come remotely close to winning the SCF. It's quite amusing being in a rugby crowd as they've started some chants beyond just Scotland, England etc. Lions Lions Lions being the most repeated but also Ohhh Maro Itoje to 7 nation army tune. It is annoying how English you sound singing Lions Lions!! Dont worry not been singing Swing Low but plenty of Flower of Scotland renditions.

The Kiwis we've met everywhere have been incredibly welcoming and genuinely delighted to have us here. Atmosphere everywhere has been excellent. I've fallen in love with the country too, a beautiful place, couldn't recommend it highly enough. We got down to Queenstown for some outdoor activities, brilliant place especially for young people.

The locals have mixed views on the haka but I've always enjoyed the theatre of it. A highlight of the trip was the Maori performing it in Rotorua..it was a Cloudy/foggy night & it looked like they were emerging from the fog & mist to lay down the challenge. Was very special.

Another highlight was meeting Sir Ian McGeechan, getting a photo & chatting to him for a bit. He's no Gatland fan either.
Won't make the third test. Suspect bookies right but hope springs eternal.

Right now my liver needs a break.

Zazu62
02-07-2017, 07:01 PM
Come on Gatland and the Lions !

cabbageandribs1875
07-07-2017, 11:33 AM
i hope the all blacks clobber the english/welsh/irish lions tomorrow :agree: i also hope jordie barrett launches a drop kick right on the middle of gatlands coupon

:)

hfc rd
07-07-2017, 01:06 PM
Hoping All Blacks win. Just to ram it up Gatland.

Mibbes Aye
07-07-2017, 03:21 PM
Have to say that Gatland shouldn't be immune from criticism but the dearth of Scotland players in the Test 15/23 isn't unreasonable and we should accept that and move on.

Hogg would have been in the 23 or potentially started, had he not suffered that unfortunate injury. WP Nel may have been a contender had he not got injured earlier in the season.

Other than that, I don't think Scotland can have any complaints. I really like Laidlaw but Connor Murray is better and Rhys Webb is as good. I had hoped Johnny Gray would have been considered but it would probably have meant dropping Alun Wyn Jones and that would have been a massive call given his performances for the Lions previously.

Russell was unfortunate - clear toss-up between him and Biggar and I think Biggar maybe edged it for being seen as better defensively. Other than that, you could cite Barclay, Watson etc in the back row but that's probably the area of strongest competition in the Lions squad and while they're good,the guys picked ahead of them are genuinely better.

weecounty hibby
08-07-2017, 06:24 AM
The issue isn't really who's in the team. It's about squad selection. You can't really pick any Scots in the team if you don't select any in the squad. Anyway just about to head out with a bunch of mates to watch the game. ABs will win by 20 I think and for the first time ever I'm not really fussed about the Lions winning. Only about half an hour till my first Stella.

Pretty Boy
08-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Lions are going to get humped here. All Blacks win by about 12 or 15 points imo.

Pretty Boy
08-07-2017, 09:33 AM
Fair play. NZ could have been out of sight but the Lions hung in there and deserved the draw.

Good to see a referee make a big decision correctly at the end as well.

hfc rd
08-07-2017, 09:35 AM
FT 15-15

The series ends with a draw. I'm sure majority of lions fans would have taken that before the series started.

heretoday
08-07-2017, 09:41 AM
Fair result. No margin for error in any of the matches. All Blacks need a more reliable kicker!

Danderhall Hibs
08-07-2017, 10:02 AM
Fair play. NZ could have been out of sight but the Lions hung in there and deserved the draw.

Good to see a referee make a big decision correctly at the end as well.

Quite fortunate with that one - could easily have been given as a penalty.

Fritz
08-07-2017, 10:50 AM
Quite fortunate with that one - could easily have been given as a penalty.

100% a penalty for me, not that I'm complaining! Owens had time to catch and then drop the ball! It was instinctive rather than cynical but still a pen.

As a Scottish rugby fan I was supporting the Lions but there's no doubt that it loses some of its magic for me with no Scots in the squad. I can't hand on heart say any necessarily deserved to be in the team, hopefully Hogg would have been if fit, but I think Gatland and the other coaches have very little respect for our game.

An unfortunate consequence of the series result for me is that Gatland, Howley etc will be vindicated and celebrated and I don't think they deserve to be. We were well beaten in the 1st test, the final score flattered us big time. We battled well in the 2nd but the conditions and red card (which was the correct call) more than levelled the playing field. We battled well again today but the ABs made a lot of errors, unusually for them, and we got away with one at the end there.

Despite how Sky try to hype it up it doesn't deserve to be up there with previous great series for me.

ano hibby
08-07-2017, 11:22 AM
I don't know what to make of that.
Didn't feel we were a good enough team to win a series in NZ especially compared to '71 vintage. Then again they couldn't put us away so draw must be about right.
Anti climax main emotion.
Maybe AB's not as good as the hype is one conclusion.

cabbageandribs1875
08-07-2017, 01:35 PM
i've never saw an all blacks team with so many handling errors, and that pass forward in the 2nd half which would have been an easy try was absolutely ****** dreadful, they really should have beaten the 15 points winning margin in the 1st test :(

Sergio sledge
08-07-2017, 04:12 PM
i've never saw an all blacks team with so many handling errors, and that pass forward in the 2nd half which would have been an easy try was absolutely ****** dreadful, they really should have beaten the 15 points winning margin in the 1st test :(

Yeah, they should have won every test by a lot more IMHO. Lions were fortunate to get a series draw, poor penalty calls at the end of the last two games went against the all blacks. The winning penalty call in the 2nd test was a shocker and the ref downgrading the penalty at the end of the game today was the wrong decision , Owens caught the ball before dropping it so should have been a penalty. To be fair though, we stuck in there and took the opportunities when handed to us by the refs.

Mantis Toboggan
08-07-2017, 04:58 PM

I think the weather was a factor tbf

McD
08-07-2017, 06:32 PM
100% a penalty for me, not that I'm complaining! Owens had time to catch and then drop the ball! It was instinctive rather than cynical but still a pen.

As a Scottish rugby fan I was supporting the Lions but there's no doubt that it loses some of its magic for me with no Scots in the squad. I can't hand on heart say any necessarily deserved to be in the team, hopefully Hogg would have been if fit, but I think Gatland and the other coaches have very little respect for our game.

An unfortunate consequence of the series result for me is that Gatland, Howley etc will be vindicated and celebrated and I don't think they deserve to be. We were well beaten in the 1st test, the final score flattered us big time. We battled well in the 2nd but the conditions and red card (which was the correct call) more than levelled the playing field. We battled well again today but the ABs made a lot of errors, unusually for them, and we got away with one at the end there.

Despite how Sky try to hype it up it doesn't deserve to be up there with previous great series for me.

i thought it was a penalty at the end as well.

as much as the lions deserve some credit for hanging in there and some sterling defensive work, the All Blacks should have scored several times more today, and last week also, even with 14 men.

A statistic I saw this afternoon says a lot: in the 240 minutes of play in the 3 tests, the Lions led for 3.

heretoday
09-07-2017, 03:16 PM
Barrett slotted 15 out of 20 conversions in the series. To be precise, he missed 14 points. Most un-All Blacklike.

Steve-O
10-07-2017, 02:20 AM
I don't know what to make of that.
Didn't feel we were a good enough team to win a series in NZ especially compared to '71 vintage. Then again they couldn't put us away so draw must be about right.
Anti climax main emotion.
Maybe AB's not as good as the hype is one conclusion.

Going through a bit of a transition at the minute it seems.

From this end, and having watched most of their matches over the past 9 years, the three performances were not up to their usual standards, that is for sure. They've got quite a few new/young players in at the minute and it just didn't quite seem to click as it usually does.